Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

You get WrestleMania 2016 for free?

I haven't been this disappointed with a lineup so far in years. Like, there's currently not a match at WM I could give a fuck about. Ambrose and Lesnar should be interesting, but I can't say I'm *stoked* about it.
I agree! Ambrose and Lesnar will be interesting as will Shane vs. Taker, but nothing really stands out and has me excited this year. Charlotte vs. Becky vs. Sasha should be great though and that seems to be the direction they are going there, but the card is definitely underwhelming so far.

To be fair, last year's card looked terrible on paper and it turned out to be a very good show. But I do agree that the current WM card does seem lacking.

[attachment=20812:IMG_20160304_170200.jpg]
Look! A talented Samoan wearing tactical gear! (Watching New Japan Cup and the thought flashed in my mind) 2nd best Bullet Club member now.

I'm psyched for Brock/Dean since it's a street fight. Regular match would be boring. Women's triple threat should be damn good, I remember the 4way where Sasha got the NXT title. Screw the main event though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I get miffed when people think I'm from the wrong city in my state...

Now, back to wrestling, Charlotte may have been injured in a match last night.

Cancel Wrestlemania. Poor WWE: I'm legit 10x more excited for the Saturday night NXT card than I am for Wrestlemania itself.

I was at NXT last night and watched Asuka practically know out Emma, she had to be assisted to the back apparently with a stinger. Then later Tommaso Ciampa got injured when Dash and Dawson hit their finisher on him. Ciampa laid in the ring being tended to for like 10 minutes, he eventually got up and was assisted to the back by Johnny Gargano and the medical staff. Too many injuries in WWE rings nowadays

Some of them are clearly long-term (Cesaro), others are just pure misfortune (Cena).

Rhyno is running for office in Dearborn, MI. That might be your jurisdiction, yes, KaneRobot? You're a Wayne County guy, if memory serves.

Cesaro had to have surgery to repair a muscle tear on his shoulder. He should be back before Summerslam at the latest, but I'm not sure what those kind of injuries do long-term. He's definitely out of Wrestlemania. 

I was at NXT last night and watched Asuka practically know out Emma, she had to be assisted to the back apparently with a stinger. Then later Tommaso Ciampa got injured when Dash and Dawson hit their finisher on him. Ciampa laid in the ring being tended to for like 10 minutes, he eventually got up and was assisted to the back by Johnny Gargano and the medical staff. Too many injuries in WWE rings nowadays
Yikes, I hope Ciampa's alright. With all of these NXT shows plus his indie bookings, gotta imagine dude's body is taking a toll.

That said, can't wait to see him at AAW's EPIC next month! (I'm a monster :wall:)

Some of them are clearly long-term (Cesaro), others are just pure misfortune (Cena).

Rhyno is running for office in Dearborn, MI. That might be your jurisdiction, yes, KaneRobot? You're a Wayne County guy, if memory serves.
Nah, Oakland, right next door. But I'd have been tempted to vote for him just for that dark mustard colored jacket he was wearing when he announced it.

Nah, Oakland, right next door. But I'd have been tempted to vote for him just for that dark mustard colored jacket he was wearing when he announced it.
He looked like every hipster in my neighborhood on a job interview. I mean, I'm not critiquing (although, personal snide note, I only believe people who can tie a bow tie should wear a bow tie) 100%, since I live in that glass house.

Hyucks aside, huge respect for someone who follows and participates in local politics. Local grassroots involvement is how the world works.

This trial is glorious.

Anna Phillips ‏@annamphillips  2h
Hogan just used his Hulk Hogan voice. Growled "hey brother" at the jury. #hulkvsgawk

Anna Phillips ‏@annamphillips  6h

Hogan attorney is listing his client's accomplishments. Among them: 3rd WrestleMania, body slamming Andre the Giant #hulkvsgawk

David Bixenspan ‏@davidbix  1h
“Could you explain to the jury what TNA is or was? Are they even still in business?” LOLOLOLOLOLOL #hulkvsgawk

David Bixenspan ‏@davidbix  3h
Hogan’s lawyer trying to find the right way to get Hogan to explain what “kayfabe” is #hulkvsgawk

Well, one thing hasn't changed since Shane has been away. He still throws the worst punches ever.
Taken from Wrestlecrap, but still none the less relevant...

lindapunches.gif

Also God bless the camera man and people in the back trying to make that attack look good.

Even my gf thought Shane's punches looked shitty. And we both marked out a little over Sami, even though I knew it was coming.

Something I noticed about Y2AJ: their shirts are on pre-order, not for immediate shipping. As in they could easily be cancelled for those poor souls that actually thought it was a good idea.

Something I noticed about Y2AJ: their shirts are on pre-order, not for immediate shipping. As in they could easily be cancelled for those poor souls that actually thought it was a good idea.
Yeah, WWE's gonna cancel merch because of shame behind the idea. :roll:

(p.s. it's a fine idea.)

Get real. The last time they cancelled merch, it was because it made it out to the customer before anyone realized there was a giant cock on it.

(p.s. it's a fine idea.)

Get real. The last time they cancelled merch, it was because it made it out to the customer before anyone realized there was a giant cock on it.
or if the team implodes and they rematch at mania and the merch is irrelevant

(p.s. it's a fine idea.)

When did they make a Bill DeMott shirt?

(p.s. it's a fine idea.)

And the time before that was the well-timed "I DID IT" shirt which was immediately followed by Benoit going nuts.

I don't remember that shirt at all. Any images?
They put it out after Vince got "killed." Didn't find any pics but it was literally just "I DID IT" in impact font, white on black. Probably wasn't even on sale for a week when it got yanked. I wonder if anyone actually received it.

----

Meltzer on the HoF inductees coming up. After reading it, I laughed and was thinking "wow, that's cold to Jackie" but...she really didn't do much besides beat up Disco Inferno.

The new WWE WrestleMania 32 magazine in the list of the 2016 Hall of Fame class confirmed Jacqueline Moore and Stan Hansen as the final two inductees for this year.
Moore had been on the list that had leaked several months back. Hansen was not. Hansen had two runs in WWF, once challenging Bruno Sammartino in 1976, including the match where he broke Sammartino's neck by dropping him on his head on a bodyslam, which inadvertently ended up making his career when the return match saved the Ali vs. Inoki show at Shea Stadium.

He also had a run with Bob Backlund as champion.

Hansen is generally considered the greatest foreign star in Japan, for his long tenure as a fixture for All Japan Pro Wrestling.

Moore was in as the female inductee that they want in every year.

John Cena is officially out of Wrestlemania.

It was posted on the Wrestlemania Twitter that he will be watching this year.

Gotta do something with the old plates from WWF New York.

So, who do you put up against New Day at Wrestlemania? Now that Y2J and AJ are going to have a singles match (and that's fine, honestly).

But with 4 weeks to the main show, well, who do you put in there?

So, who do you put up against New Day at Wrestlemania? Now that Y2J and AJ are going to have a singles match (and that's fine, honestly).

Another four team tag match?

Dudleys, Usos, League of Nations, TruthDust?

I can't believe Sheamus was the champ just a few months ago and as of now doesn't even have an opponent for WM.

Dudleys, Usos, League of Nations, TruthDust?

I can't believe Sheamus was the champ just a few months ago and as of now doesn't even have an opponent for WM.
Pretty sure you answered the question - League of Nothing will probably get the shot. I don't think they would have done all those taunting videos with no payoff.

edit: Nope! They're doing it at Roadblock! No idea what's in store at Mania for either group.

(p.s. it's a fine idea.)

And it's happened! "I got hammered by Triple H" pulled.

I forgot that Comet TV began live streaming.  You can catch some weekly ROH shows on it.  http://comettv.com/live.html

One's on now.  Another airs in a few minutes.  It's the same episode.  It's also in HD which is a plus as the channel it's on here is SD.

Triple H and Dean Ambrose had a creative finish, took the crowd from bored AF to super into it, added a new wrinkle to the Dusty finish, and really, really impressed me.

Dean Ambrose was made a main eventer last night.

Well, they desperately need main event guys, so yeah, agreed. My initial reaction was "well, they don't have much of a choice, what with all the injuries."

Then I realized how little they've done with the Wyatts recently, and it's not out of the question that they could possibly screw it up.

Speaking of, the ref in the HHH/Ambrose match nearly ruined it. After the false finish with Dean's feet under the ropes (which INFURIATED me in a way that brought back childhood glee - I was so stoked that they pissed me off in a new and refreshing way. I was a ten year old kid again, furious that they good guy didn't win the belt), Triple H went for a quick rollup and put his feet on the ropes RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REFS FACE. The referee totally ignored it, and really, really hurt the match, IMO.

It exposed the match as a performance, made it look bogus. The ref could just as easily stopped the count for HHH, doing the same thing he just did for Ambrose, and helped the match (or, alternately, not killed it). Still a great match, and it's rare to attribute the weakest point in the match to the ref. But man, that was a YUUUUUUUUGE blunder.

I thought Ambrose was going to get the belt last year with his feud with Rollins and I still think he's more ready than Reigns. If he keeps putting on good matches he'll be increasingly difficult to ignore. Especially if he has a really good match with Lesnar at Wrestlemania.

For a House Show, Roadblock was a lot of fun. It would have been nice if there was a title change or two, but it's still a house show.

That Zayn match nearly killed the crowd dead for good. Good lord was that bad. Giving 85% of a match to a guy the crowd knows is no threat over who is supposed to be a hot newcomer on Kevin Owens' level made zero sense.

I think people just got sick of Zayn's shtick. We know hes gonna get beat on all match and then win cuz hes a plucky underdog. If he is going to wear that stupid hat to the ring then he should come out as a heel.

That Zayn match nearly killed the crowd dead for good. Good lord was that bad. Giving 85% of a match to a guy the crowd knows is no threat over who is supposed to be a hot newcomer on Kevin Owens' level made zero sense.
Yeah, I was running 'round all day yesterday so I didn't get to watch the show until I got home around 11PM - that meant I got to only watch the parts I wanted to see. I skipped Zayn-Stardust because I was super tired and wanted to watch the main event before I crashed hard. Might go back and watch it just because.

Even the wife noted that the crowd was D-E-D dead for the start of Triple H/Ambrose. We couldn't figure out why - now we know. Triple H and Ambrose both deserve a ton of credit - I was particularly impressed how Triple H really made the "barely escaped with the title" bit come off really sincerely. I remember how badly I soured on him in his WM feud with Booker T - both the buildup and the match itself. HHH seems really invested in making Dean Ambrose.

Missed most of Roadblock last night, but caught the final match. Was a bit disappointed that HHH got it, but I suppose they wouldn't try to do something different so soon to WM. 

I can't co-sign on the Ambrose is a made man thing quite yet. They did the same tease once or twice before, and within a few months he was back to being nothing but a gatekeeper for Reigns and wound up losing or unresolving feuds.

Now, if he beats Lesnar at Mania, I might change my tune. FWIW, I feel reasonably confident he actually will.

I can't co-sign on the Ambrose is a made man thing quite yet. They did the same tease once or twice before, and within a few months he was back to being nothing but a gatekeeper for Reigns and wound up losing or unresolving feuds.

Now, if he beats Lesnar at Mania, I might change my tune. FWIW, I feel reasonably confident he actually will.
I am not sold on Ambrose as a made man at all. The match at Roadblock wasn't terrible, but I didn't do anything to change my opinion of Dean Ambrose. I still don't like his move-set at all and find his punches to be some of the weakest in the business, they just don't look good! I enjoyed Ambrose on the indies as John Moxley and I enjoyed his run with The Shield, but since he has gone off on his own I have been extremely underwhelmed.

Looks like Neville broke something in his left leg, knee, and/or ankle during the match with Jericho.

https://twitter.com/loganstephens24/status/709573775218626560

bread's done
Back