Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Why all the hate on Truth? I think they just told him to do what you think slidecage would do out there.
I Like R Truth, he's like the AI in wrestling games when they don't know what they're suppose to do and then just stand there confused until it gets beat up. Now all I need is a referee that takes no crap and goes berserk on a wrestler if he gets beat up enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth isn't gonna put on a match that any of us would stand up and applaud, so he's the comedy guy. I can respect and appreciate that. Going up the ladder last night did make me laugh - and the fact that it was totally absurd/unbelievable didn't make it any less funny.

So they fucked Broman out of the title only to give him a shot at it if he beats lesnar and ambrose? They did this because it makes sense?

At fastlane, the wyatts interfere and cost lesnar the match. ugh. I'll watch wherever Bryan ends up at. I'm done with this.

So they fucked Broman out of the title only to give him a shot at it if he beats lesnar and ambrose? They did this because it makes sense?

At fastlane, the wyatts interfere and cost lesnar the match. ugh. I'll watch wherever Bryan ends up at. I'm done with this.
Roman was the champion he gets a rematch. This match makes perfect sense, The Authority know that Roman gets a rematch and they are stacking the deck against him with his bro Dean Ambrose and The Beast. The only real contenders for the Title right now are Dean, Roman, and Brock they just haven't built anyone else up to be in that spot right now. I'd love to see Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles, vs. Sami Zayn for the #1 contender spot, but that booking wouldn't make much sense.

I get Roman and Brock, I don't understand Dean. He has a title, work on that. We've seen Dean and Roman fight at Survivor Series, but I'm talking myself into it because that match was way too short.

I get Roman and Brock, I don't understand Dean. He has a title, work on that. We've seen Dean and Roman fight at Survivor Series, but I'm talking myself into it because that match was way too short.
I'd love to see Dean lose the IC title, his reign has been pretty lackluster. Kevin Owens was the only reason the belt has been interesting and when he's not in the title picture it's like Dean holding the U.S. Title all over again.

Hasn't he only had it for 4 weeks?

It's tough to call a reign lackluster if it's just been one PPV defense - at least at the same time it's tough to say that rapid title changes diminish the importance of titles.

Cena's US title reign did the most to get a title over in recent memory. ADR's reign hasn't done anything with that. Maybe it's him, maybe it's his booking (he's just a foil for McMahon/Authority/whatever you want to call the corporate anti-Reigns movement; let alone the hot-swapping of the title from him to Kalisto like Vince Russo has come back to the office).

Rollins did a ton for the Championship, IMO. If he hadn't have been injured, who knows what we'd be watching right now? It's disappointing to see the current product in some ways, but the fact that it's a mess meant they were firm in putting their eggs in Seth Rollins' basket - i.e., they see in him the same talent we see in him.

Guys listen. Clearly WWE know we all want to listen to a month of Roman and Dean's "I love you, bro" "You're like my brother, homie" promos on every show. We loved it during the survivor series build up and we'll love it again!

Well, at least in Apter Mag logic, Dean is actually the #1 contender since he's the IC champion. Plus he was the runner-up in the Rumble. I'd say his presence is justified. Heck, he may wind up the crowd favorite in that match.

From the jump I've wanted to see Ambrose and Lesnar, with Ambrose being some crazy dude that doesn't know when to quit so he just keeps throwing himself at Brock in some attempt to take him down. We know what's going to happen as far as the title, but if they are actually putting Lesnar with Strowman at Mania...ugh. Only way that match could be redeemed is if they treat it as more of a spectacle than a match and have Lesnar beat him in 3 minutes, then beat up the other Wyatts for another 5.

Brock vs. Bray might be ok as a match, but just no interest there at all.

The ONE theory I've actually liked that I've seen for this is Brock takes on Bray & Strowman, and has Undertaker as a surprise partner (since it looks like there's no plan for Undertaker, with Cena out). Or do all 4 of them vs. Brock, Taker, Kane, and Sting. Kane can take the extended beating, Sting and Undertaker won't have to do much, and Brock can be the guy that gets the hot tag,

Since we still have 3 Raws before Fastlane, I wouldn't mind a mini AJ-Owens feud over trying to make the main event a 4way. Go off of the "they thought winning matches earlier in the night made a difference". Owens goes over, we get out KO-Brock moments, another possibility to eat the pin for Roman because we all know it's ending with Roman over Ambrose.

Hasn't he only had it for 4 weeks?

It's tough to call a reign lackluster if it's just been one PPV defense - at least at the same time it's tough to say that rapid title changes diminish the importance of titles.

Cena's US title reign did the most to get a title over in recent memory. ADR's reign hasn't done anything with that. Maybe it's him, maybe it's his booking (he's just a foil for McMahon/Authority/whatever you want to call the corporate anti-Reigns movement; let alone the hot-swapping of the title from him to Kalisto like Vince Russo has come back to the office).

Rollins did a ton for the Championship, IMO. If he hadn't have been injured, who knows what we'd be watching right now? It's disappointing to see the current product in some ways, but the fact that it's a mess meant they were firm in putting their eggs in Seth Rollins' basket - i.e., they see in him the same talent we see in him.
Yeah he hasn't held the Title for long, but for me it's not so much his reign that is lacking it's his character. Dean Ambrose as a face just doesn't do it for me and I find just about everything about him to be boring and I know how good of a heel he is too. The match I wanna see is a heel Dean vs. Roman and having for the IC title wouldn't be something I'd be opposed to either similar to the feud Triple H and Rock had over the title when they were coming into their own as main event guys back in the late 90's. I just can't find a reason to get invested into any feuds involving Roman Reigns and the WWE Title right now. I want to like Roman, but his feud with Triple H and the McMahon family has been done to death and much better by virtually everyone else who has been involved in the vs. authority figure storyline in the past.

Yeah he hasn't held the Title for long, but for me it's not so much his reign that is lacking it's his character. Dean Ambrose as a face just doesn't do it for me and I find just about everything about him to be boring and I know how good of a heel he is too. The match I wanna see is a heel Dean vs. Roman and having for the IC title wouldn't be something I'd be opposed to either similar to the feud Triple H and Rock had over the title when they were coming into their own as main event guys back in the late 90's. I just can't find a reason to get invested into any feuds involving Roman Reigns and the WWE Title right now. I want to like Roman, but his feud with Triple H and the McMahon family has been done to death and much better by virtually everyone else who has been involved in the vs. authority figure storyline in the past.
I don't mind Dean as a face, he has plenty of time to go heel eventually. More important is the crowds go nuts for him, which means he should be locked in that role for a little bit at least (post Mania?).

What's the thread view on spoilers? Just use the spoiler tag? Tomorrow night I'll have the NXT details likely until the next Takeover Mania weekend.

Esp NXT stuff. Smackown airs weekly, so it's courteous to use spoiler tags on that. For NXT, stuff airs many weeks later, so while it stinks that WWE even ruins things (A Double), it's also hard to keep some things under wraps. NXT I'd much much prefer to see tagged if posted at all.

Everything about this Iconic Matt Hardy act is so great. Matt is so much better as a cocky asshole than a happy babyface. The Feast or Fired match itself was pretty bad - but Grado standing on Aiden to get his case was at least amusing. Loved this being a show with Sky on it, leading to Josh explaining that Velvet was fired last year. 

Crazy Steve and Abyss's new chick has a unique look and one of the best themes in the company thanks to Corgon getting a Marilyn Manson song for them. I did chuckle at Josh lamenting the loss of the old Steve - I bet he's been a fan of Crazzy Steve since he only had one Z in his name. But really, that whole Decay act is fantastic and feels like the most major league stable in a while. 

The Feast or Fired stuff was okay - the match was nothing, but the skits were amusing. Beer Money was hilarious, while Eli is at least going somewhere with the KOTM shot, Beer Money got the tag title match, Drew got the World title match, and Grado got fired. Poor guy - now he can leave a company that can't draw a dime and go main event in front of thousands of paying fans. Both JB and Josh were dicks to him though. At least Pope never liked him - so it was consistent.

It's such a shame to see TNA delivering a good show and actually coming off major league in a couple of ways - mainly the ShopTNA ads, the entrance setup, and the licensing of music now. If they can get back up to 500,000 viewers on Pop, I'd start pumping more money into the lighting again and make a pitch to be back on Spike.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/01/tna-impact-wrestling-1-26-16.html

Screens - 

The Iconic Era has begun

Fashion Podcaster Josh Mathews

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/0zj2vf60oll79q7ji9u1hf4005r5nmpo

Not my line, but thought this was pretty good:

"I checked out at the point where the three Wyatt henchmen were thrown out by Brock Lesnar, came back in to beat up Lesnar, were thrown out a second time by Lesnar, then came back a third time and threw Lesnar out, at which point two referees hovered to make sure Lesnar did not illegally re-enter the ring. 

I totally accept the fact that there's a subterranean courtroom underneath that ring which is full of midgets. That's just reality. But the "how do we eliminate Lesnar" solution was too fake."

The WWWWEE Uunniivveerrssee

6hAvlA3.png

TIxV0xu.png

https://www.instagram.com/aeonflux40/
She's got most of the good ones posted.

The easy go-to for a Roman match (and cheating) is last year at Fastlane. The "one vs all" on Raw, which was really Roman vs Owens, was solid. Yes, there's a common thread of someone good on the other side, but good matches always take two. Unless you're Kenny Omega.
These are awesome pics. Looks like you guys caught Charlotte looking right into the camera while doing that submission move. High quality photos to go with that high quality seat.

These are awesome pics. Looks like you guys caught Charlotte looking right into the camera while doing that submission move. High quality photos to go with that high quality seat.
There's fresh ones up as of tonight, not all that she took. Zack Ryder is a bastard, twice now he reposted one of her pictures with no credit. 2800 likes on this one. Apollo Crews reposted, but gave credit. I'll wrote a post later on desktop so I can use a spoiler tag easier. Ups and downs tonight I'll say, some matches delivered and some (one) fell flat.

A fair portion of the WWE Universe™: "Who's that Oriental feller?"
Nakamura has a charisma about that most wrestlers just don't have. People may not know him initially, but it won't be long until he is over big time. Plus the majority of the NXT crowd will be fully aware of who Nakamura is and will go ape-shit for his debut.

Nakamura has a charisma about that most wrestlers just don't have. People may not know him initially, but it won't be long until he is over big time. Plus the majority of the NXT crowd will be fully aware of who Nakamura is and will go ape-shit for his debut.
I get that we're trying to be positive here since he is pretty awesome, but bluntly - I'll believe he's "over big time" when I see it. And I don't mean on NXT, because that's a given. The guy in charge is likely not going to be interested in promoting him.

Even for guys who don't have the built-in WWE handicap of being a foreigner, it's a pretty impossible hill to climb. If they kneecapped Wyatt, Owens, and Cesaro for literally no reason, I can't see a world where Nakamura is getting extended programs on top with people like Lesnar/Reigns/Cena and coming out looking good.

----

NXT on Saturday. This'll be my first live rassin' thing in 8-9 years.

I believe Nakamura will be pushed but not sure if he will even make his way over to the main roster. It has been said that Nakamura was signed to be a Japanese star to sell the WWE Network in Japan. At first I was going to say this would be why he would be pushed, even on Raw, but with NXT being on the Network I think he may end up staying there for a while.

Alberto Del Rio got pushed real hard so they could make more money in Mexico. He speaks english well, I am not sure how well Nakamura speaks it though. If Nakamura does speak english, I see no reason for WWE to not make him a big deal. If he cant, well maybe Heyman or Zeb can speak for him.

S2 began with Vamp in a psych ward and then appearing to murder Dr. Dick Johnson. Instead, he just hallucinated and got some pills. Striker saved him and sadly wasn't brutally murdered - maybe that will be the S2 finale. Anyway, this was a fantastic show with some crazy stuff in the Fenix-Cuerno match. I loved the story told with Ivie earning the shot, kind of having hope against Mil, but still being destroyed. Pentagon's role as this show's Austin circa '97 is fantastic so far, and that arm-snapper is over like crazy.

http://www.f4wonline.com/mexico/lucha-underground-results-season-2-kicks-intergender-world-title-match-206426

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/rykct4lkdo1avpub2b7lwkmevsdb30mu

Dave Meltzer said on a fairly recent Observer radio that Nakamura speaks English well, and if Asuka can win over a WWE crowd in one night through charisma and body language, so can Swagsuke.

I'm mostly w/ KaneRobot, as so many very good Japanese wrestlers came to WWE and just fell so flat relative to expectations. For all I care, keep him in NXT and leave him there. At least we'll appreciate him.

I wonder if they'll change his name? I mean, sure, they introduced him as Nakamura, but they also introduced KENTA by that name at first, too. If nothing else, there's some comfort in the knowledge that they already tried "Hirohito" once and won't again...

Well I just purchased my tickets for NXT in Cleveland. I wanted to buy front row seats but my loser friends are way too cheap. So i got the second tier tickets instead. I wonder when Nakamura will start wrestling at NXT shows it would be amazing to catch him live on this tour. I do think lately with the fact that the latest "newcomers" to NXT have been keeping their names I think Nakamura will probably get to keep his name, or so I hope.

Nakamura is debuting at Takeover Dallas. On the tour though (possibly): Rich Swann, Ciampa, Gargano. We know you'll get the top tier like Finn, Sami, Corbin, Gable/Jordan. I don't expect Busick, La Sombra, or Athena to tour outside Florida yet. Match of the night yesterday was easily Finn vs Swann. Swann was crazy over, crowd singing "all night long" and rhythmically clapping.

For those seeing the touring show, make sure to make a "whoooooa" when Greg/Dasha enter the ring. I'm being completely serious.

LU was awesome, loved Cuerno's finish. Picked up full steam where they left off.

The season premier of Lucha Underground was simultaneously exciting, engaging, and unpredictable. Why is it that LU can do in an hour what RAW can't in three?

"All Night Long" was a great singalong when Swann worked out here in PWG. I love the fact that so many former PWG talents now work for WWE and Lucha Underground.

Well I just purchased my tickets for NXT in Cleveland. I wanted to buy front row seats but my loser friends are way too cheap. So i got the second tier tickets instead. I wonder when Nakamura will start wrestling at NXT shows it would be amazing to catch him live on this tour. I do think lately with the fact that the latest "newcomers" to NXT have been keeping their names I think Nakamura will probably get to keep his name, or so I hope.
Should've just left them to sit in the back. As long as y'all hang out before and after, it'll be worth the front row seat. I did this with my brother all the time. You don't want to pay more to sit closer? Alright see you after the show. Plus, usually in the floor/front row areas, it doesn't take long to find a buddy to talk to for the entire show.

Now that I finished Raw, I gotta say this was probably the best PPV+Raw combination of shows from WWE in a long time. The Rumble had so many moments that really excited me, and I screamed loud enough that my wife gave that boring 'It's scripted...' statement when HHH threw out Roman. Then on Raw, of course The Rock/New Day segment was gold, even accounting for the terrible Macho Man impersonation.

The first ROH show I took a friend to we sat in the 5th or 6th row.  After that he was all in for front row prices which is where we've been the last two shows.  At this point I'm completely spoiled.  Anything not front row will be disappointing for me.

The first ROH show I took a friend to we sat in the 5th or 6th row. After that he was all in for front row prices which is where we've been the last two shows. At this point I'm completely spoiled. Anything not front row will be disappointing for me.
I'm with you 100%. I sat 8th row at WrestleMania 25, and after that experience of a lifetime, I can not do anything but the floor seats. This goes for other events like concerts as well. Even when I've gone to Raw for free (military get free admission to all WWE shows), I wasn't happy because they give you best available at the start of the show and for Raw, the only thing available at the box office was the upper deck. I didn't enjoy it too much, even at the price of free.

Alright, here's my commentary on NXT, borrowing from a spoiler list because I can't be bothered to remember all that shit while it's live. One of my comments is "controversial". I didn't take any pictures myself, so if you want to see some instagram.com/aeonflux40

After sitting right on the barricade like I was at Rumble, I don't know how to go back. Granted, we got tickets for the house show in the summer that are first row lower-bowl, but that's because it's a house show and they were somehow $40.

First show, Sami vs Joe, 2 out of 3 falls. This was boring as all hell. Way way way too much babyface in peril. No reason at all to believe Sami had a chance as he was constantly being whupped and selling the hell out of it. It took forever to get the first fall, and it built like a normal match where one guy is good and victorious and the other guy has the shit kicked out of him. But we're supposed to believe he can keep going? I lost count of how many times the ref was doing a 10-count while Joe was just standing back twiddling his thumbs. I thought this would be awesome, and it was far from it.

Next week: uneventful. Asuka/Bayley vs Eva/Nia was main event, was ok. Nia is awesome, if they didn't have the heat magnet with her we'd be cheering her. Asuka title match at Takeover.

Next week:American Alpha #1 contender, they're still crazy over and deservedly so. No way they don't take the belts. Contender match was forgone because they're not making a heel/heel title match Mania weekend. Rich Swann vs Finn Balor was my match of the night by far. So good on both sides. Swann was a definite face, Finn was neutral? No heeling, but not playing up as much as he used to. This match was a treat.

Next week: Aries debuts, classic squash. Not that impressive, not even a good job. Apollo pseudo-squashes Riley, Elias Samson calls him out for some reason. I see no reason for Apollo to not destroy him in a match, and it sounds like a Takeover buildup. Gotta have a popcorn showcase? Samoa Joe beats Bull Dempsey in maybe 2 minutes via Coquina Clutch, Finn ends up making the save and they have a decent brawl. Joe is a monster, I feel he's credible even after losing in London.

Nakamura had his final NJPW match last night, and man, they sent him off like the star of stars. They put him over, put the Intercontinental title over, and put Tanahashi and Omega over. Great stuff, and really emotional to watch.

It's a good show, and there's lots of little things to pick up on. It's still a bit worked (I'd hate to think Baron Corbin acts like that in person, or else he's in for a very short career), but it's a solid series.

Huh. The spot where he hurt his leg doesn't look impactful, so it might have been a spiral fracture that just went bad at that moment. Stinks for him, too - that dude has worked *hard* for years with WWE and in the indies. I really enjoyed watching him and Cody Runnels (at the time) as a tag team in OVW back when Heyman was running that show. He deserves either a ton of eventual success in the ring, or a permanent spot as an instructor if they eventually decide to never move him up. A total unsung hero of the ring.

bread's done
Back