Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

So my wife saw me watching some botchamanias last night and thought they were funny. Do you guys have any specific submissions that stand out or recommend for viewing? It's hit or miss sometimes for us so I thought I'd try to turn her onto the wrestling stuff more with some of the better videos. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
ECW original Axel Rotten has passed away at the age of 44.

Via pwinsider:

"Brian Knighton, professionally known as Axl Rotten, was found deceased today in Baltimore, Maryland.   According to sources we have spoken with, he was found by authorities in a motel. He had tweeted earlier today, so the belief is he passed away sometime in the last ten hours. Knighton was only 44 years old."

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=99542

Dual passing news, so weird. Dave Mirra has been found dead from an apparent suicide.

http://deadspin.com/bmx-legend-dave-mirra-dead-at-41-of-apparent-suicide-1757216822

ECW original Axel Rotten has passed away at the age of 44.

Via pwinsider:

"Brian Knighton, professionally known as Axl Rotten, was found deceased today in Baltimore, Maryland. According to sources we have spoken with, he was found by authorities in a motel. He had tweeted earlier today, so the belief is he passed away sometime in the last ten hours. Knighton was only 44 years old."

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=99542

Dual passing news, so weird. Dave Mirra has been found dead from an apparent suicide.

http://deadspin.com/bmx-legend-dave-mirra-dead-at-41-of-apparent-suicide-1757216822
Wow. RIP. For some reason I thought he was older.

The fact that there's even a rumor that Undertaker wrestling a guy at Wrestlemania who debuted on the main roster with only 7 dark matches under his belt speaks absolute volumes about the current state of the WWE.

So my wife saw me watching some botchamanias last night and thought they were funny. Do you guys have any specific submissions that stand out or recommend for viewing? It's hit or miss sometimes for us so I thought I'd try to turn her onto the wrestling stuff more with some of the better videos. TIA
The Steiner Botchamania collection is pretty solid, if I'm understanding what you're looking for correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR6Ecy-EgXU

Wow. RIP. For some reason I thought he was older.
Well, ECW has been gone for 15 years, and Axl had been around for some time - so if you do the arithmetic backwards, it meant he was 29 when ECW shuttered. Which seems unfathomable.

RvB, it does, but more about the "oh, fuck, our entire upper card is injured, what can we do?!?!" circumstances. They have a lot of guys they could have promoted (e.g, Tyler Breeze, and as long as they can push not-so-great-in-the-ring big men, no reason they can't get The Ascension in there, too) to fill out a card. They've buried them since the moment they started on WWE, though. Injuries stink, but they also dug themselves into a ditch by not having a sensible backup plan (which any promotion worth its salt should always have).

It's amazing how much more watchable Smackdown is with better commentary. Ranallo and heel Lawler are absolutely killing it.
Agreed. I still fast-forwared through a majority of the show (including skipping the main event) but it was a lot better what I did watch.

Well, ECW has been gone for 15 years, and Axl had been around for some time - so if you do the arithmetic backwards, it meant he was 29 when ECW shuttered. Which seems unfathomable.

RvB, it does, but more about the "oh, fuck, our entire upper card is injured, what can we do?!?!" circumstances. They have a lot of guys they could have promoted (e.g, Tyler Breeze, and as long as they can push not-so-great-in-the-ring big men, no reason they can't get The Ascension in there, too) to fill out a card. They've buried them since the moment they started on WWE, though. Injuries stink, but they also dug themselves into a ditch by not having a sensible backup plan (which any promotion worth its salt should always have).
No doubt, they've been dealt a shit hand but they also went all-in with just a few guys to put themselves in this position.

Bull, Sylvester LaFort and Marcus Louis. Hope they find what they're looking for.

Awesome Kong is also available, as she's no longer with TNA.

Bull, Sylvester LaFort and Marcus Louis. Hope they find what they're looking for.

Awesome Kong is also available, as she's no longer with TNA.
And they just put her in a new angle as leader of The Dollhouse. Considering the "altercation" was with Reby Sky this smells real political. Oh well, TNA's loss.

And they just put her in a new angle as leader of The Dollhouse. Considering the "altercation" was with Reby Sky this smells real political. Oh well, TNA's loss.
I think what really did her in was attacking Reby with the baby being right there. Imagine the headlines if during the altercation something happened to the kid...

I think it's more protecting their investment with the Hardys. At least they didn't put the belt on her.

fuck! Now Finn is hurt.

Daniel Bryan will (supposedly) be on Raw tonight, but we don't know why.

Also a chance we get the Realest Guys in the Room debuting. It's been rumored a while, but they had a great reaction at the house show with Brock this weekend.

https://youtu.be/_nOD9hh3J18

It seems unlikely that the WWE is ever going to let him back in the ring as a wrestler, so he's probably going to pursue his life long dream of selling laundry detergent. (In all seriousness, those Pods are pretty awesome. Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles at Wrestlemania would be pretty cool too.)

I actually feel like we are going to get Daniel Bryan officially back tonight and he will start building for a Wrestlemania match tonight on Raw. He's cut his hair and beard recently too. I think WWE is toying with fans when it comes to Bryan and have probably had him cleared to go for awhile now. 

Rumors were going around that he was trying to give notice that he wanted to leave the company.  But WWE wouldn't allow it and he'd have to sue them over it.  So I guess the retirement announcement is their way of telling people that he's done with his in-ring WWE career.

None of us really know how bad Daniel Bryan's injuries are, but I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing that they're not letting him back in. WWE has done some crazy ass shit in the past and wrestlers have died way too early.

WWE could make a ton of money off Daniel Bryan, but the result could be irrepressible brain damage or him being confined to a wheel chair or worse. Perhaps this is just them putting the wellbeing of talent over profit.

I also don't see him wrestling for another promotion. The WWE doctors aren't the only ones against him wrestling, his wife is against it too.

So while I'd selfishly want to see him face Triple H at Wrestlemania for the title, I don't want to see him get hurt because of it.

Raw emanates from Seattle tonight. Maybe it's a swerve and the night will end with both Bryan and Marshawn Lynch announcing their returns, leading the "Yes!" chant while Skittles fall like confetti from the rafters.

I'm really hoping for some Mark Henry-level swerve tonight.
Me too, but this usually isn't how they treat that kind of stuff. This is legit. If it was a work, he wouldn't have announced it on Twitter and blown the "surprise" of a worked retirement, and he wouldn't be on Sportscenter tomorrow.

Now...once his contract expires, I wouldn't be shocked to see him elsewhere. But at least for now, I'd say he's definitely done in WWE.

-----

Like Myke sort of suggested with the WCW remark, I don't think he wants to retire and this is the company fucking with him (he's gotten cleared by MULTIPLE pro athlete doctors, but for whatever reason WWE's guy won't do it). The way it's set now, since they won't release him he can't go "help" a competing company like ROH or Lucha Underground. But since they ALSO won't clear him, he can't go back to work and steal the spotlight from Reigns or HHH or any of these other company-pushed lunkheads they're shoving at us in the leadup to the biggest show of the year. They're doing everything they can to avoid a pre-WM 30 fan backlash by literally removing the guy from the picture.

I kinda wish he goes ahead and says "i don't want to retire but i am because i have no choice. fuck the WWE for forcing me to. I appreciate you fans peace out."

Tried watching an episode of WWE Legends of Wrestling on the Network about the history of African Americans in wrestling (episode titled "The Soul of Wrestling").

Then I see Bill Watts is on the panel.

What the fucking fuck.

Tried watching an episode of WWE Legends of Wrestling on the Network about the history of African Americans in wrestling (episode titled "The Soul of Wrestling").

Then I see Bill Watts is on the panel.

What the fucking fuck.
Likely because he pushed JYD as the top face in the old UWF and made Ron Simmons WCW champ.

From 411mania:

During a new audio update with Dave Metlzer and Bryan Alvarez, new details on Bryan’s situation were revealed.

* Bryan had a discussion with Vince McMahon about wrestling outside of WWE (ROH/New Japan) by Dr. Maroon said no. Some feel that Maroon and WWE are afraid of concussion related lawsuits and the Concussion movie.

* WWE did freeze his contract, similar to what they did with Rey Mysterio. Bryan is still being paid by WWE.

* Bryan had tests done the Thursday prior to the Royal Rumble. These tests looked at all parts of the brain.

* More tests were reportedly scheduled, and word is that the results were concerning enough for him to make the announcement. Further testing could reveal more bad news.

* WWE reiterated that they would not be clearing Bryan.

* Meltzer feels that this was Bryan’s decision.
Take it for what it's worth but if this is true then I'll postulate that his brain is showing effects of CTE from the concussions. I have to wonder how many he might have had prior to WWE.

Very sad, but at least he gets to choose to go out.

I'm not always gonna defend WWE, but allowing independent physicians to override the corporate physician may make sense in some cases, it creates a HUGE loophole - want to wrestle again but shouldn't? Find a doctor who is a mark to write you a note clearing you.

Given the choice between false positives (not allowing people to wrestle again who possibly would be fine otherwise) and false negatives (clearing dudes who are one bad bump away from serious brain injury), I'll opt for the former 100% of the time. I suspect most of you would, too.

Daniel doing all those flying head butts like Chris Benoit for years probably didn't help matters. I suspect that move will be banned as it probably should be.

I'd like to give WWE the benefit of the doubt on this. If for no other reason than Triple H makes all personal decisions now and he understands injuries better than Vince.

Don't know how I never found this thread in the two years I've been on this site but I'm glad I did. You guys think Bryan is gonna take another on-screen role or do you think he's gone after tonight? I have a feeling he'll stay in some role, but that may just be wishful thinking. It's not like with Edge who had Christian to stick around for and support.

Daniel doing all those flying head butts like Chris Benoit for years probably didn't help matters. I suspect that move will be banned as it probably should be.

I'd like to give WWE the benefit of the doubt on this. If for no other reason than Triple H makes all personal decisions now and he understands injuries better than Vince.
Yeah I've been saying that for awhile. That is one move we shouldn't be seeing anymore. Too much of a chance of head and neck injuries, not to mention the brain damage accumulated over the years.

Well... Daniel Bryan does have his wife Brie. She pinned the Diva's Champ last week and he could support her in a manager type role. He also has a featured role in Total Divas. (I suspect this episode will be the season finale)

Well... Daniel Bryan does have his wife Brie. She pinned the Diva's Champ last week and he could support her in a manager type role. He also has a featured role in Total Divas. (I suspect this episode will be the season finale)
That's true, I completely forgot about her. I don't know if they'd jump for that though. They already struggle to get people to care about the women besides Sasha and Becky, they'd just chant stuff like "ONE MORE MATCH" the whole time at Bryan if he managed Brie.

bread's done
Back