PS3 New MSRP: $249.99 - $299.99 - $349.99

crzyboy88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24385[/IMG-R]Effective immediately, PS3 consoles receive a $50 price drop (and a new Infamous 2 bundle).

:ps3: PS3 160 GB $249.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320GB inFamous 2 Bundle $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB Move Bundle $349.99

Sony has just announced a global price drop to $249.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/ps3-price-cut-to-250/

Well, this is certainly surprising. Sony closed out its Gamescom 2011 keynote with the startling announcement that the PlayStation 3 (assumedly the standard, 160GB model) has had its price cut across the globe: It's now $249.99 in the U.S., €249.99 in Europe and ¥24,980 in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the R/YLOD last week on my 60GB launch unit. I decided to just get a new one instead of sending it in to Sony for repair. I ordered the new one Saturday from Amazon and it arrived today. After hearing about the price drop I contacted Amazon and they gave me a $50 refund (they made and exception because I just just ordered Saturday). I also got an email yesterday telling me because I purchased a PS3 I get a $50 store credit. I hope they don't take it back because of the price drop/refund.

[quote name='mario23air']I got the R/YLOD last week on my 60GB launch unit. I decided to just get a new one instead of sending it in to Sony for repair. I ordered the new one Saturday from Amazon and it arrived today. After hearing about the price drop I contacted Amazon and they gave me a $50 refund (they made and exception because I just just ordered Saturday). I also got an email yesterday telling me because I purchased a PS3 I get a $50 store credit. I hope they don't take it back because of the price drop/refund.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3w4cS2MvM

[quote name='ssjmichael']They should have used this opportunity to drop the PS Move bundle down too. At $99 it's okay, but I'm sure sales aren't as good as it used to be, and with so many games getting move support they need to keep those units moving. They should drop the bundle down to $69.99, and the individual controllers to ~$30-35[/QUOTE]Sounds nice but what they really need are some AAA exclusive move titles more than anything else. If one of the "strong" 1st party titles could fully utilize the move they'd be golden & a game that playstation move heroes should've been. MGS Move edition, FF Move edition, Star Wars or Highlander(please god let it be better than everything after the 1st movie combined times 1 million)

[quote name='ijustw1n']This should be in another forum. Price drops are news, not deals. Either produce a site selling it for sub 249.99 or let's move this![/QUOTE]News like this needs to be in the deals section, there are people who don't frequent CAG regularly or search beyond this section. A $50 price cut would definitely effect peoples buying when searching the weekly ad deals as well. If it was a rumor then yes PS3 forum it is.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The 360 has been selling better than the competition with barely any first party titles at all, so I think they'll be just fine if they didn't drop the price.[/QUOTE]the PS3 outsells the 360 consistantly everywhere except in the US. 360's 11 million lead in the US is probably unpassable at this point in the console cycle.

[quote name='Vinny']:applause:
I said before that if Sony dropped the PS3 to the same level as the Vita, they would have a monster combo on their hands. I figured they'd do it during the holiday season but doing this early was a brilliant move- they'll get more potential sales before Nintendo or MS reacts![/QUOTE]I figured it would need to happen prior to the onslaught of fall releases that way their exclusives get the bump from new console purchasers. Plus, this will help Moves sales too. I wonder if they'll announce a PS3Vita console combo pack for $450 hell throw in Move + a $60 game voucher for $550-$600 will sell like crazy.

are there any other upcoming conferences where microsoft might announced a price drop??

i agree with enuf that this does belong here considering how dead the general industry news forum is

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm talking about the $99 Move bundle, not the PS3 bundle.

Also, I'm pretty sure that bundle has been that price for a while now...[/QUOTE]

They actually did drop the price of the move bundle also. It was announced at the same time at Gamescom that the new price for the Move bundle is now $60. Also supposedly a new PSp model with out Wifi at $100

[quote name='JG5253']They actually did drop the price of the move bundle also. It was announced at the same time at Gamescom that the new price for the Move bundle is now $60.[/QUOTE]

Did they? Do you have a source for that?

The Euro Move bundle does not have a game like the NA one, but it may translate into a NA price drop.

MS and Sony have never dropped their prices in response to each other's price drop. I don't think they have ever had price drops in the same year. MS is going to ride the casual/Kinect boat as long as they can. Enjoy Fruit Ninja..

[quote name='strait edge follower']There wont be a price drop on black friday when the price was just droped 3 months prior. Now i can see a buy a ps3 get 2 gh title games free type deal happening[/QUOTE]
Agreed, but holiday bundle deals are even better than that. I bought my first ps3 from Amazon on the black friday after the october launch of the ps3 slim and it came with infamous 1 and killzone 2. Now consumers will continue to get great Black Friday bundle deals at an even lower price.

You can count me out though. I already bought my second ps3 when I purchased the Black Ops bundle from Best Buy w/ $100 gift card.

Should be interesting to see what kind of offers there are for Black Friday or the holiday season in general combined with the price drop. Last year Amazon had an amazing deal of a 160GB with a Singstar Bundle, Ratchet and Clank game and $50 promo credit for $299.99.

[quote name='JG5253']They actually did drop the price of the move bundle also. It was announced at the same time at Gamescom that the new price for the Move bundle is now $60. Also supposedly a new PSp model with out Wifi at $100[/QUOTE]
I hope they drop the price of the navigation controller since i already have the move bundle!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']Did they? Do you have a source for that?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Todd33']The Euro Move bundle does not have a game like the NA one, but it may translate into a NA price drop.

MS and Sony have never dropped their prices in response to each other's price drop. I don't think they have ever had price drops in the same year. MS is going to ride the casual/Kinect boat as long as they can. Enjoy Fruit Ninja..[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% sure but they said they said they would drop it down to 60 euro . Here is what says at the bottom of the link

SCEE has also announced at the Sony Gamescom conference that they will be cutting the price of PlayStation Move’s Starter Pack to €59. It’s been confirmed at Gamescom that FIFA 13 will support PlayStation Move aswell

http://playstationfans.com/playstat...y-conference-recap-including-all-the-details/

Damnit, if anything needs a price drop it's the 360 which I'm currently in the market for. Hurry up and follow suit MS!

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Hopefully, we'll see some sort of drop on Playstation Move accessories soon.[/QUOTE]Not gonna happen Sony only perm discounts accessories towards the end you'll see sales & the old Sports Champion bundle phase outs but individual items nope. You missed all the E3 deals Move controller was $30-$35 & nav $20. About 3 weeks ago TRU have the Move controller for $33 & you can get the eye used @ GS cheap. Also, check for sales like the BB 20% off accessory deal that just ended or the b2 accessories get a $25 gc deal.

[quote name='PublikDefender']I hope they drop the price of the navigation controller since i already have the move bundle![/QUOTE]^^^

I've been waiting for a different color and/or new limited edition design on a Ps3 since E3 winter 2010. A price drop isn't bad, but damn why doesn't Sony ever do cool shit to their console like MS. They had a perfect opportunity with that inFamous bundle.

What are the chances GS will do a price adjustment on a PS3 I bought 3 weeks ago as part of their trade in a system +$50 deal?

[quote name='oasisboy']CAG = where price drops equal deal.[/QUOTE]

CAG = where trolls complain about people posting in the wrong forum or re-posting a topic. fuck dude there's soldiers in Iraq right now being shot at and you people whine about a stupid forum post. It is not the end of the world...I'm sure you'll survive losing the ten seconds of your life that it took to read the thread.

Ok sure there doesn't need to be three threads on it but some people don't read gaming blogs every day or visit every sub forum of CAG looking for info. Like it or not, it is still technically a deal, just like clearance items which are essentially price drops.

where the mods/CheapyD edit the title, believe this is the appropriate place, and put this deal on the front page.

:shame:

:dunce:

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']I've been waiting for a different color and/or new limited edition design on a Ps3 since E3 winter 2010. A price drop isn't bad, but damn why doesn't Sony ever do cool shit to their console like MS. They had a perfect opportunity with that inFamous bundle.[/QUOTE]
Apparently, only Japan and to a lesser extent PAL regions are capable of understanding these awesome Limited Edition systems. We Americans only play Call of Duty all day, eat pizza until we're fat and are super stupid and don't buy expensive, cool stuff like that. (Mind of Sony Executives)

I've had to import my DSi, PSP and PS3 all from Japan thanks to that :roll: So much money gone....if only they had released the Limited Edition Lightning Edition PS3 here, but nope, Japan exclusive like always

[quote name='jb0Ogi3']CAG = where trolls complain about people posting in the wrong forum or re-posting a topic. fuck dude there's soldiers in Iraq right now being shot at and you people whine about a stupid forum post. It is not the end of the world...I'm sure you'll survive losing the ten seconds of your life that it took to read the thread.[/QUOTE]

This +10000000

Tell that bitch what's right and wrong haha.

[quote name='jb0Ogi3']CAG = where trolls complain about people posting in the wrong forum or re-posting a topic. fuck dude there's soldiers in Iraq right now being shot at and you people whine about a stupid forum post. It is not the end of the world...I'm sure you'll survive losing the ten seconds of your life that it took to read the thread.[/QUOTE]

God forbid someone states their point of view. If you dont join the love fest, you are considered a troll.

Dude, if you care that much about our soldiers then go enroll in the military and make a difference instead of playing videogames and bitching about others and while you are at it, go to Somalia and feed some children. Instead of wasting your 2 minutes bitching about my post you should be helping the wounded and feeding the poor.

[quote name='yahoosale14']where the mods/CheapyD edit the title, believe this is the appropriate place, and put this deal on the front page.

:shame:

:dunce:[/QUOTE]

Exactly, therefore my statement is true.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok sure there doesn't need to be three threads on it but some people don't read gaming blogs every day or visit every sub forum of CAG looking for info. Like it or not, it is still technically a deal, just like clearance items which are essentially price drops.[/QUOTE]

You must live in a rock if you dont know about the price drop. Hell, it is even on CNBC!!!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44163890

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok sure there doesn't need to be three threads on it but some people don't read gaming blogs every day or visit every sub forum of CAG looking for info. Like it or not, it is still technically a deal, just like clearance items which are essentially price drops.[/QUOTE]^^^this plus it's a $50 price difference...why do you think these things are kept quiet? They don't want to canibalize their sales BEFORE the price drop. The thread has tons of views/replies already & if it was in the wrong place a mod would've moved it already.

[quote name='oasisboy']You must live in a rock if you dont know about the price drop. Hell, it is even on CNBC!!!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44163890[/QUOTE]
Nope, I was busy all day and well I didn't check any video game blogs or anything news related. Hell the deals section is the first I heard of it.

Either way a great deal, but if you are thinking about the 320 system, it would be just as easy to get a 160 GB and replace the HD with something bigger than 320. You can get a 500+ HD if your lucky for cheap.

For those interested and live close to a Fred Meyer. At Freddy's next week you can get a $50 gift card with purchase of 160gb ps3.

I would buy a 250 PS3 if it came with a 50 dollar gift card. But i dont have a Fred Meyer near me. Personally i was hoping for a price drop to 200. 250 is a little out of my range right now, and considering that for 50 bucks more you can get a 320gb, infamous 2, and a free month of PSN+, the 250 package just sounds like a bad deal.

[quote name='oasisboy']Exactly, therefore my statement is true.[/QUOTE]

that you're a troll who complains(wrongfully) about the location of a post?

[quote name='XenoNinjaX']How many of us got our 60gb ps3 ylod after the update? Mine died as well few days ago.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened here. Our launch 60GB got its second R/YLOD last week and nearly pulled the trigger on a new one this weekend. Not exactly thrilled at the prospect of replacing the first one after less than 4 years, but the price cut is a welcome surprise.

On the cheap ass side of things, I'm going to apply for an Amazon credit card and apply the $40 credit to the purchase. I also have a $8.50 credit on top of that. Hopefully, we can get the for the new one for $201 or so.

I just hope the Slim lasts longer...

Meh...I don't regret getting my Black Ops bundle from Target for $300 with $160 in GC's back for one second. Glad I didn't wait on a price drop.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Nope, I was busy all day and well I didn't check any video game blogs or anything news related. Hell the deals section is the first I heard of it.

Either way a great deal, but if you are thinking about the 320 system, it would be just as easy to get a 160 GB and replace the HD with something bigger than 320. You can get a 500+ HD if your lucky for cheap.[/QUOTE]

This, I would just go with a 160G. Besides newegg has been offering deals lately for 2.5 HDDs (640GB and up for $50-$60), make sure you get a 2.5 sata drive!

If I super score at sales before the Game Stop extra $50 deal ends (I have a 360 I got at a garage sale I've been waiting to trade), I might pick one up. But I have so many games for 360 I want, and so many limited editions I'm buying (Gears 3 Epic Edition here I come) that it would have to be a super mega-score of epic proportions for me to be able to do it and feel like I'm not jeopardizing the games I really want.

Man should I buy one or wait for a PS4? I really feel like it's getting announced in 2012 and if the world doesn't end :cry: then it gets released in 2013. Let's see black friday sales on this since it just got a new price. If it is $250 and comes with a bit of games then why not I'll buy this then trade it in for the ps4, since stores always have a trade in program when the newer system comes out.

If I buy this, which I won't even say I am for sure since I just bought my 360 last October, then whenever PS4 comes out I am not jumping on any time soon, at least not until I can get a good deal on it and am done with any PS3 games I want.

That's the thing, for me I'd be buying a PS3 for PS exclusives, which it has some awesome ones, but I feel uncertain about if it's worth it.

And if Sony sticks with the 10 year play (which it looks like) PS4 won't be till 2016 anyway.

[quote name='Obiwan456']If I buy this, which I won't even say I am for sure since I just bought my 360 last October, then whenever PS4 comes out I am not jumping on any time soon, at least not until I can get a good deal on it and am done with any PS3 games I want.

That's the thing, for me I'd be buying a PS3 for PS exclusives, which it has some awesome ones, but I feel uncertain about if it's worth it.

And if Sony sticks with the 10 year play (which it looks like) PS4 won't be till 2016 anyway.[/QUOTE]

First of all, the PS3 is without a doubt worth it for the exclusives alone. Uncharted/Uncharted 2, LBP, MGS4, God of War franchise, Heavy Rain, Killzone franchise, InFamous franchise, Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and so forth. There are some killer exclusives (much more than the 360 imo). And if you don't have a Blu-ray player yet, then that's just icing.

Second, the 10 year cycle in no way means they won't release a PS4 before than. They just plan to support the PS3 for 10 years, just like they've done with the PS2 after the PS3 was released. Now, around 2016 you can't expect the PS3 to be getting great titles anymore, but Sony will probably stick to their word nonetheless.

bread's done
Back