PS3 New MSRP: $249.99 - $299.99 - $349.99

crzyboy88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24385[/IMG-R]Effective immediately, PS3 consoles receive a $50 price drop (and a new Infamous 2 bundle).

:ps3: PS3 160 GB $249.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320GB inFamous 2 Bundle $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB Move Bundle $349.99

Sony has just announced a global price drop to $249.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/ps3-price-cut-to-250/

Well, this is certainly surprising. Sony closed out its Gamescom 2011 keynote with the startling announcement that the PlayStation 3 (assumedly the standard, 160GB model) has had its price cut across the globe: It's now $249.99 in the U.S., €249.99 in Europe and ¥24,980 in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! I don't have an HDTV, so I need component cables. I'd be upset if they weren't included, and it might make me think twice about buying. This may be 2011 but not everyone has HD yet, and to be perfectly honest I don't see what the big difference is between SD and HD.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Yeah! I don't have an HDTV, so I need component cables. I'd be upset if they weren't included, and it might make me think twice about buying. This may be 2011 but not everyone has HD yet, and to be perfectly honest I don't see what the big difference is between SD and HD.[/QUOTE]

The people who don't see the difference between HD and SD are intellectually dishonest.

What's that supposed to mean? I mean, if I saw it side by side maybe, but from what I've seen I can't tell a difference.

[quote name='Obiwan456']What's that supposed to mean? I mean, if I saw it side by side maybe, but from what I've seen I can't tell a difference.[/QUOTE]

The difference between SD and HD is astounding. It is like going from a black and white TV to a color TV. There is so much extra detail, you can never go back to SD once you go HD. Unless you are using a tiny television or you are sitting a ridiculous distance away from your TV, I just can't see how you couldn't notice a difference.

Can you really not see the difference between these two?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT2gObG3Dsc
*PSP vs PS3 version, so slightly unfair, but it is very comparable to HD vs SD when viewing in person. You should also go full screen with the video, as you won't notice the difference in the small window.

Okay, so I saw a difference. PS3 looked lighter, I might watch it a few more times. I have an old SD monitor though, so the difference is noticeable but I have to wonder if it would be more pronounced if I had an HD monitor.

Lighting seems better, textures are smoother.

Next time I'm in GS I'll take a look at their monitors and see if they're HD, then try comparing that.

Buying a PS3 w/o an HDMI cable included is like buying a Corvette with little Chevy Cobalt tires..lol. Sure, you can still drive it, but it makes no sense to buy something for performance, then not be able to use that performance.

But why buy the tires if you...um...don't have a road to use them on when you can use the...um...

I don't have an HDTV so I don't need it.

[quote name='Obiwan456']But why buy the tires if you...um...don't have a road to use them on when you can use the...um...

I don't have an HDTV so I don't need it.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't buy a ps3 then, honestly. It has lots of problems with blinking on non hdtvs

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Buying a PS3 w/o an HDMI cable included is like buying a Corvette with little Chevy Cobalt tires..lol. Sure, you can still drive it, but it makes no sense to buy something for performance, then not be able to use that performance.[/QUOTE]

Good point.

Has this thread seriously turned into bickering about how the PS3 doesn't come with a $2 cable? Hopefully a mod will clean this up soon

The same reason I bought a 360, for the games. I mean, It's not like Uncharted isn't worth playing if it's in SD. It's still a great game. And eventually I'll get an HDTV, but right now I'm trying to find a job and HDTVs are expensive. And most of my paychecks once I have a job would be for savings and paying bills.

[quote name='Obiwan456']The same reason I bought a 360, for the games. I mean, It's not like Uncharted isn't worth playing if it's in SD. It's still a great game. And eventually I'll get an HDTV, but right now I'm trying to find a job and HDTVs are expensive. And most of my paychecks once I have a job would be for savings and paying bills.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 will still be around when you get a job. Playing PS3 on a SDTV is like never washing your Ferrari. Sure, you're still driving a Ferrari, but it looks like shit.

[quote name='Obiwan456']The same reason I bought a 360, for the games. I mean, It's not like Uncharted isn't worth playing if it's in SD. It's still a great game. And eventually I'll get an HDTV, but right now I'm trying to find a job and HDTVs are expensive. And most of my paychecks once I have a job would be for savings and paying bills.[/QUOTE]

You can get a HDTV (even an LED model) for less than the cost of a PS3.

But how big? I mean, I'd rather have my 27 inch SD over a 15 inch HD. And the point is I'd buy the PS3 with credit, and to sell stuff for cash I would then have to put some in savings (parental rule) and it would take a while.

There are plenty of HDTV's in the 22"-32" range for under $300. You don't need a huge screen to game on, yeah it's nice, but you have to pay for it.

[quote name='cobra-05']You can get a HDTV (even an LED model) for less than the cost of a PS3.[/QUOTE]

LED? LOL yeah right.

a lcd tv under $250 would be 26 inches at most from an in house brand(insignia, etc)

Plus I forgot to mention, I'm saving up for a good video camera to make YouTube videos with...i my dad ever lets me make them. I'll get an HDTV eventually.

I've never played PS3 on SD, but if you google "PS3 SD" you will probably find info about any issues. I'm sure it still works fine though.

If you get a PS3 you really should get an HD TV to get the full experience. The games and Blu Ray will look amazing compared to SD. Playing on SD you will be missing out on a lot, but it should still look better or equal to any other systems you've played on an SD TV. It should be no worse than an Xbox 360 in SD

[quote name='yahoosale14']LED? LOL yeah right.

a lcd tv under $250 would be 26 inches at most from an in house brand(insignia, etc)[/QUOTE]

You are misinformed. There are 8 LED TV's on Bestbuy's website right now for under $250. I don't care what brand they are, I didn't claim you could get a top model for that price. BTW, Insignia is the only TV that comes with a 2 year warranty.

They also had a 32" Toshiba LCD in their ad last week for around $250 as well.

Okay, that's what I thought. I'll just buy it and use it like I do my 360, composite cables and an SDTV while I wait to get an HDTV.

[quote name='yahoosale14']LED? LOL yeah right.

a lcd tv under $250 would be 26 inches at most from an in house brand(insignia, etc)[/QUOTE]

I did see a deal on a 32" LED a couple of weeks ago for $250. I also just did a search on SD for 32" TVs and in the past week there have been 8-10 in the $300 and under range including brands like Toshiba, Panasonic, LG, and Vizio. A couple of them were in the $250 range. There was a Philips 1080p LED 32" for $275.

[quote name='cobra-05']There are 8 LED TV's on Bestbuy's website right now for under $250.[/QUOTE]These displays are all LED back lit LCD not true LED. True LED displays such as OLED are still extremely expensive and are not even available in larger sizes.

Back on topic. My local Fry's had the inFAMOUS bundle in stock today for $299.99.

[quote name='cobra-05']You are misinformed. There are 8 LED TV's on Bestbuy's website right now for under $250. I don't care what brand they are, I didn't claim you could get a top model for that price. BTW, Insignia is the only TV that comes with a 2 year warranty.

They also had a 32" Toshiba LCD in their ad last week for around $250 as well.[/QUOTE]

who the hell wants a 15-22in LED TV to game on?

[quote name='Obiwan456']What is LED, and what's the best type of HDTV?[/QUOTE]
Dude, that's a conversation that can go 20 more pages. Do some research on AVSforum or something.

And you won't have any problems using your PS3 on a CRT. I used to do it all the time when I'd bring the PS3 over to play Rock Band at my friends' house who didn't have an HDTV.

Edit: oh yeah, almost forgot

[quote name='yahoosale14']who the hell wants a 15-22in LED TV to game on?[/QUOTE]

Someone who wants to spend less than $250 to buy one. If that's not you, spend more and buy yourself a nicer TV.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Okay, I'll just look it up. And whatever you were linking to didn't work.[/QUOTE]
CAG doesn't like tinyurl, apparently. I Googled LED for you :)

[quote name='cobra-05']Someone who wants to spend less than $250 to buy one. If that's not you, spend more and buy yourself a nicer TV.[/QUOTE]

considering how i would have to spend another $50-100 to get a 32-38in compared to a 15-22, i would. a tiny tv at that price is simply idiotic considering you only have to spend $50-$100 more for a 32in+ tv

I hook up my second PS3 to the 24" SDTV near my desk sometimes and I've never had any issues with it at all.

Also, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would (I normally play on a 40" LCD).

[quote name='yahoosale14']considering how i would have to spend another $50-100 to get a 32-38in compared to a 15-22, i would. a tiny tv at that price is simply idiotic considering you only have to spend $50-$100 more for a 32in+ tv[/QUOTE]

It doesn't work that way. It costs way more than $50-$100 to jump up that much in screen size if you do a fair comparison. Here's an example:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...HDTV/1854249.p?id=1218303699737&skuId=1854249

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...HDTV/1854124.p?id=1218316999637&skuId=1854124

That's a $60 difference just going from 22" to 24"

[quote name='chunlirocks']Does any1 know WHEN the I2 320 gig will be released ?[/QUOTE]

It was in the case at Target on Monday with a shelf tag ($349.99). I guess it will ring up lower according to the OP.

[quote name='yahoosale14']LED? LOL yeah right. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='yahoosale14']yes it does work that way. theres quite a few of LG, panasonic, and vizio 32in for around $300.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say man.

Mix Master Ice and gettinmoney662 both got it right. Their use of the car analogy is spot on.

From a consumer perspective, it's a five yr old system, with Blu-ray technology. Without the HD cables is like a complete joke. Makes Sony look like turds. Did they sell the Walkman without headphones?

Does Apple sell the iPhones with touch screens sold separately? When you buy a laptop, is the keyboard sold separately? When you buy a home, do you pay for internal plumbing separately? When you buy a bicycle, are the chains included?

I think we know this could go on and on...but I'll stop here.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']I think we know this could go on and on...but I'll stop here.[/QUOTE]

Good since you went well past the retarded boundary there

Mods seriously need to clean up this abortion of a thread. It's amazing that in a thread about a PS3 price drop people have nothing better to do than bitch about something so stupid.

heh, i was thinking the same thing too...
His analogies were going down hill after the walkman one which i am sure he meant earbuds instead of headphones.

I've been thinking I need a second Blu Ray player in the living room for ages now, and can't get another Sony (since the remotes would conflict)....so was thinking of a second PS3...this makes that even more tempting (plus obviously then I can play games on it in the living room too :) )

If you really want to use that car analogy, lets make it actually fit the situation. In my opinion the biggest reason SONY, Microsoft, and Nintendo do not include HDMI is because they only want to include 1 cable, so they include composite which will work for everyone.

So, in this "spot on" analogy, tires are the cables. For the analogy to fit here the car could be packaged with 2 sets of tires. One set works with that car for everyone, the other set of tires will be useless to 50% of the car buyers, but be better quality. You think as the default tire the manufacturer would include the one which makes the car useless to 50% of the buyers? No, they would include the tire that works for everyone.

Maybe the next gen HDMI will be standard. But it is still not now. Here's another analogy: Your analogy is like driving the wrong direction in a race, sure your driving but its the wrong direction

bread's done
Back