PS3 New MSRP: $249.99 - $299.99 - $349.99

crzyboy88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24385[/IMG-R]Effective immediately, PS3 consoles receive a $50 price drop (and a new Infamous 2 bundle).

:ps3: PS3 160 GB $249.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320GB inFamous 2 Bundle $299.99
:ps3: PS3 320 GB Move Bundle $349.99

Sony has just announced a global price drop to $249.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/ps3-price-cut-to-250/

Well, this is certainly surprising. Sony closed out its Gamescom 2011 keynote with the startling announcement that the PlayStation 3 (assumedly the standard, 160GB model) has had its price cut across the globe: It's now $249.99 in the U.S., €249.99 in Europe and ¥24,980 in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I know, I was heavily looking into it a few months ago before all the stupidly awesome collector's editions ate my money, and I am very interested in Uncharted, InFamous, LBP, Killzone, Resistance, and Metal Gear, so no need to try to sell me on it, lol

Second, off, oh yeah, duh, no idea what I was thinking. I'm tired. Well hopefully They at least don't announce a new one till E3 2013. I'd feel stupid buying a PS3 just to have PS4 announced less than a year later.

I have been having amazing luck at sales recently though, so who knows?

[quote name='Obiwan456']If I buy this, which I won't even say I am for sure since I just bought my 360 last October, then whenever PS4 comes out I am not jumping on any time soon, at least not until I can get a good deal on it and am done with any PS3 games I want.

That's the thing, for me I'd be buying a PS3 for PS exclusives, which it has some awesome ones, but I feel uncertain about if it's worth it.

And if Sony sticks with the 10 year play (which it looks like) PS4 won't be till 2016 anyway.[/QUOTE]

The PS4, and the nextbox for that matter, will both be out by the end of next year. You think either one of them is going to let Nintendo, of all people, set around with the best system for very long? Not gonna happen. Maybe early 2013 for sony, just because they are always late to the party, That said, if price is a factor, keep in mind, and I ASSURE you, the PS4 will be $500 or $600, if not more (I'm guessing $700, but that's just a guess). Then again, with the price point the Vita is coming out at, they are obviously willing to take a bath (MSRP on that is probably half of the manufacture cost). At the very least it will be significantly more than the PS3. As for whether it's worth it, I bought a 60gb one for $600 which died on me two days ago and bought the infamous bundle as soon as it went up (which is STILL showing a preorder status, but anyway...). The point being, yes losing BC hurts, a lot, but for $250 for the base model, it's a steal as far as I'm concerned with all it can do. I've been a MS fanboy for a decade, but the PS3 does pretty much everything better. The only thing MS really does do better is how you can transfer data (i.e. all the info on my bricked one is lost because it won't turn on to back it up) and MS certainly handles video purchases WAY better. The game side is open to debate, but I personally prefer MS there as well. On the other side, among many other things, MS's choice to go with DVD is REALLy starting to bite them in the ass. Look at Rage and, I promise you, that is only the start of MANY to come like that.

Edit: There is no way the PS4 won't be OUT by E3 2013, much less announced. The PS1 cycle was 5 years. PS2 was 6. I guess it's possible PS3 could do 7 but being as they were winning, by a very wide margin, both of those gens and are in last place, by a very wide margin, in this one, I REALLY don't see this being their longest cycle. Blu Ray is fully established and 3d gaming is catching on. Both of those are far more important to them than the PS3 (gotta sell those Bravias). I fully believe it will be debuted at E3 next year and out in novemeber or, again at the latest, 1st Qtr 2013. I'm not saying don't buy a PS3. I'm just saying don't expect this cycle to be 7 years or better, because it's not going to be. As a side note, they used that "10 year life cycle" thing on both the PS1 and PS2, and they lived up to those. However, all that means is that they will still release games for those systems for 10 years, not that those games will be any good or viable. Look at the end of the life cycle of both of the other systems...

The PS4 will definitely be priced more reasonably than the PS3. The only reason the PS3 cost so much is because of the new tech like the Cell processor and BD drive. Odds are it'll still use Blu-ray so no new format to drive up the price. Plus I think they realize they got a ton of flack for those high launch prices. They're aggressively pricing things now too it seems, hence the surprisingly low cost of the Vita (compared to expectations). I expect the PS4 to cost no more than $400 at launch.

I have made up my mind, if I get enough credit I will buy one. I actually have enough credit right now, but all that's sectioned off for pre-orders and my year of XBL. But if I can pick up the $250 (because when I'm just playing exclusives, I don't need the biggest hard drive available) easily enough, I will. And no way I will ever pay $500-$600 for a console (unless it's like a super mega-bundle that is an actual deal, but I mean at launch), so I guess even if PS4 comes out and I'm still on PS3, It'll be awhile before I buy a PS4 anyway. Nextbox, however, if it doesn't have the hardware problem that plagues the 360 launch and isn't overpriced...

And I heard about Rage. I actually have that paid off for Xbox, but isn't it like on tree disks or something like that? I actually don't mind multiple disks, but I see why some people are annoyed.

Something just occurred to me. From the past two weeks I ended up getting $150 in GS credit. So it could be very possible for me to get one, seeing as how with the 360 I have to trade I already have $110 of it, if I went that route and bought before the 21st.

[quote name='mietha']The PS4, and the nextbox for that matter, will both be out by the end of next year. You think either one of them is going to let Nintendo, of all people, set around with the best system for very long? Not gonna happen. Maybe early 2013 for sony, just because they are always late to the party, That said, if price is a factor, keep in mind, and I ASSURE you, the PS4 will be $500 or $600, if not more (I'm guessing $700, but that's just a guess). Then again, with the price point the Vita is coming out at, they are obviously willing to take a bath (MSRP on that is probably half of the manufacture cost). At the very least it will be significantly more than the PS3. As for whether it's worth it, I bought a 60gb one for $600 which died on me two days ago and bought the infamous bundle as soon as it went up (which is STILL showing a preorder status, but anyway...). The point being, yes losing BC hurts, a lot, but for $250 for the base model, it's a steal as far as I'm concerned with all it can do. I've been a MS fanboy for a decade, but the PS3 does pretty much everything better. The only thing MS really does do better is how you can transfer data (i.e. all the info on my bricked one is lost because it won't turn on to back it up) and MS certainly handles video purchases WAY better. The game side is open to debate, but I personally prefer MS there as well. On the other side, among many other things, MS's choice to go with DVD is REALLy starting to bite them in the ass. Look at Rage and, I promise you, that is only the start of MANY to come like that.

Edit: There is no way the PS4 won't be OUT by E3 2013, much less announced. The PS1 cycle was 5 years. PS2 was 6. I guess it's possible PS3 could do 7 but being as they were winning, by a very wide margin, both of those gens and are in last place, by a very wide margin, in this one, I REALLY don't see this being their longest cycle. Blu Ray is fully established and 3d gaming is catching on. Both of those are far more important to them than the PS3 (gotta sell those Bravias). I fully believe it will be debuted at E3 next year and out in novemeber or, again at the latest, 1st Qtr 2013. I'm not saying don't buy a PS3. I'm just saying don't expect this cycle to be 7 years or better, because it's not going to be. As a side note, they used that "10 year life cycle" thing on both the PS1 and PS2, and they lived up to those. However, all that means is that they will still release games for those systems for 10 years, not that those games will be any good or viable. Look at the end of the life cycle of both of the other systems...[/QUOTE]

nearly everything you said was wrong.
1. late to the party everytime? ps2 came out before xbox and gamecube, ps3 came out at the sametime as wii.

2. ps4 will not be more than $399 they learned from having the ps3 too high

3. way behind xbox360? 3 million consoles is way behind? what was xbox and gamecube then when they were and still are 130 million consoles behind?

4. it makes complete sense to have a ten year plan or longer and not just abandon their console like nintendo and ms do. All those PS2s sold they make a profit on each one.

5. the wii u will be like the dreamcast was. wii u games wont look much better than the best ps3 and 360 has to offer. hell, some ps2 games look better than a lot of wii games. gt4, gow2,mgs3.

Question, can I use GS credit on GS.com? Not my fav choice, nut if I waited till black friday to get a deal I do not want to go in store unless it is a neccessity.

So this explains the 3Ds price drop. Nintendo had to lower the price to sell as many as possible before this news got out to the public.

I dropped 250 on a 3ds last march. no way im missing this now. then again im really tired and who knows. but i buy a ps3 im not getting a ps vita for quite a while.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The PS4 will definitely be priced more reasonably than the PS3. The only reason the PS3 cost so much is because of the new tech like the Cell processor and BD drive. Odds are it'll still use Blu-ray so no new format to drive up the price. Plus I think they realize they got a ton of flack for those high launch prices. They're aggressively pricing things now too it seems, hence the surprisingly low cost of the Vita (compared to expectations). I expect the PS4 to cost no more than $400 at launch.[/QUOTE]
Have you posted this exact post before? I feel like I've read it alread or I'm having one heck of a bout with deja vu.

I'm not ready for another console generation yet. It doesn't feel like they've done enough with the current one yet.

id say 2 years when we start seeing concepts of the next xbox/ps systems.
its been 5 years with both systems, well six for 360, but the economy sucks so i dont think theyre planning on launching anything anytime soon lol

[quote name='jazzman']I am starting to fear having to update my 60gb PS3.[/QUOTE]
My launch 60gb had no issues with the latest update.

I think we'll start hearing more rumors about the PS4/nextbox this year gradually increasing till E3, when one or both announce a new console for a holiday 2013 release.

In the meantime though, I think this price drop will help Sony out. I still wont be getting one (no $ or time for it right now) but its a great price point for a system with a lot of content. Hopefully this will lead to a 360 price drop too.

[quote name='CaoPi']This, I would just go with a 160G. Besides newegg has been offering deals lately for 2.5 HDDs (640GB and up for $50-$60), make sure you get a 2.5 sata drive![/QUOTE]BB has a WD 500 GB one for $55

[quote name='GamerDude316']I think we'll start hearing more rumors about the PS4/nextbox this year gradually increasing till E3, when one or both announce a new console for a holiday 2013 release.

Hopefully this will lead to a 360 price drop too.[/QUOTE]Correct both companies have already confirmed the next gen in development but there's no concrete time table due to the economy plus they want to see the Wii U impact. 2013 it is

The rumors from MS seems to lean towards them taking a wait & see approach. There's only a 3 million 360 lead but my guess is that includes consoles resold/issued from the RROD. PS3 has been outselling 360 WW for sometime now only in NA does the 360 have a lead 11+ million. If weekly sales jump to 275,000-300,000 a week, last more than 4 weeks & spike sales of PS3 exclusives + overall sales greatly expect MS to act in Sept. Sony was smart to do it now before Xmas that way all there exclusives get the boost throughout the entire fall season. If it was me I'd dropped it to $200 @ E3, sold at least 1 + million more PS3's so far & hope my game line-up propels me towards 60 million.

That's the thing, no one really knows (save the head honchos at the companies) when the new systems are coming out. It could be next year, it could be 2020. No one knows.

When does the I2 320 bundle hit ?

a dollar per gig :beer: plus the perfek sequel this gen :beer: is so win that my arms got ripped out of their sockets

now i can't drink

Sony was also smart to do it before Madden. No matter how much people here scoff at it, Madden moves consoles for most guys 16-40 & if someone hasn't bought a console yet, they will for Madden.

I have never liked Madden as a game, and then when I got in the business of reselling, I really despised it when I found out how quickly it devalues.

price drop is pretty much the same as a couple of months ago. I got the 320 move bundle for 350 then sold the move bundle for 80$. but if its the current price + another gc deal or discount....

I don't have an HDTV so I don't mind. I'm planning on doing the base system, but if Black Friday comes around and there's some super deal on the move bundle I will jump on it.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Sony needs to include the HD cables. So retarded without it....(no offense to those with the real condition.)[/QUOTE]

They save more by not including it, and also make more since they sell it separately for highly inflated prices. So what you find retarded, makes smart business sense to them

[quote name='Obiwan456']And if Sony sticks with the 10 year play (which it looks like) PS4 won't be till 2016 anyway.[/QUOTE]

10 year cycle doesn't mean 10 years between consoles.

It means supporting a console for 10 years like Sony did with the PS1 and PS2, even though there were only six years between the PS1 and the PS2 and six years between the PS2 and the PS3.

The PS4 will be out well before 2016.

Yeah, I realize that now, and I now know that we would be lucky if PS4 wasn't till 2014, but I still think I'll buy a PS3 soon.

[quote name='Gatorsfan35']What are the chances GS will do a price adjustment on a PS3 I bought 3 weeks ago as part of their trade in a system +$50 deal?[/QUOTE]

Successful. I bought this on 7-25 and they had no problem giving me the $50. They asked if they could put it on the PUR card, or credit the account. These guys usually take care of me, so I put it towards a couple of pre-orders.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I have never liked Madden as a game, and then when I got in the business of reselling, I really despised it when I found out how quickly it devalues.[/QUOTE]

You & I aren't standard customers though. NCAA 12 had strong, possibly record sales last month and I bet only about 10-20% of CAG's bought it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']You & I aren't standard customers though. NCAA 12 had strong, possibly record sales last month and I bet only about 10-20% of CAG's bought it.[/QUOTE]

As much as I can't believe that, it makes sense. I mean, if the games didn't sell well year after year they would stop making them.

But this also makes me wonder about why it devalues so much, I mean, CoD is yearly, and comparing the same year, CoD4 I can get 6, Madden 08 I'm lucky if I get 1, but I highly doubt I could get that much

[quote name='Obiwan456']I have never liked Madden as a game, and then when I got in the business of reselling, I really despised it when I found out how quickly it devalues.[/QUOTE]

Madden holds it value very well for 4 months, then takes a small drop, and about 7-8 months after the release date it takes a major hit. It's like clockwork.

But that's the thing, how likely is it to find a Madden game at a garage sale that quickly after launch, and at a reasonable price? Not impossible sure, but it's never happened to me...yet.

Does anyone know if any store is offering a gift card when buying a PS3? I almost bought one today but decided to wait for this weekend, any information would be appreciated.

Edit: Another question how you distinguish the new PS3 SKU from the old SKU? what and where to look , console itself, in the box.

None that i know of, I'd say wait for Black Friday, when there should be some great deals on it.

I realized every 360 game I have pre-ordered (save Mass Effect 3, but that's next year) comes out before Black Friday, so if I pick up a PS3 then, no 360 pre-orders to slow me down!

[quote name='Obiwan456']As much as I can't believe that, it makes sense. I mean, if the games didn't sell well year after year they would stop making them.

But this also makes me wonder about why it devalues so much, I mean, CoD is yearly, and comparing the same year, CoD4 I can get 6, Madden 08 I'm lucky if I get 1, but I highly doubt I could get that much[/QUOTE]

NCAA 12 sold roughly 800k copies last month on PS3/360, with it being about a 60/40 split in favor of 360, a percentage that has been growing in the PS3's favor over the last few years on the football games. Lots of guys with young families that aren't hardcore gamers want to play REAL Madden and not the Wii version and have to justify buying a new console to their spouse. They can tout the Blu-Ray capabilites, and HD Netflix/Hulu Plus/Vudu/MLB.tv and not have that stuff hidden behind a pay wall like Live Gold. They also may just want to play with an old college roommate in Madden and don't want to spend $10-$25 for the ability to do that for a month or 3.

The last 2 years I've competed in the South St. Louis County Walmart launch tournament for Madden and each year there's been 1 guy who played Madden only on Wii get absolutely smoked in the first round. If someone like that wants a game system that can play the games he sees on TV and isn't hardcore into CoD/Halo/Gears then he's probably going to get a PS3 now with it only being a $50 price difference since he can tout the things to his wife I said before. Also if they want a REAL baseball game. :)

[quote name='Denbo32']Madden holds it value very well for 4 months, then takes a small drop, and about 7-8 months after the release date it takes a major hit. It's like clockwork.[/QUOTE]

Madden launches in August
NFL season starts first week of Sept.
Playoffs start first/second week of Jan.
Super Bowl is now first week of Feb.

There's your 4 months.

[quote name='Obiwan456']But that's the thing, how likely is it to find a Madden game at a garage sale that quickly after launch, and at a reasonable price? Not impossible sure, but it's never happened to me...yet.[/QUOTE]

Of course you might be able to find a cheap, used copy without the online pass for $40 or less, but again, you're thinking like a CAG and not a bro gamer who doesn't know they can buy games online or doesn't want to wait for it.

Okay, so now it all kinda makes sense. And you're right, I'm thinking like a re-seller. And I can see why someone only buying for sports games would go with the free online service. I still hate Madden though.

Something occurred to me today that solidified my purchase decision. There's rumors that Back to the Future The Game will come out for 360, but nothing concrete. However, the game is already out on PS3, and that is a game I reallllllllllly want to play. I have loved BttF from the moment I first saw the time machine when I saw it when I was 6. I have to play that game (my PC can't run Bookworm, much less BttF), and with the price drop I'm not waiting around for a 360 announcement. Unless, you know, they announce it before I buy it, in which case I would wait. I do prefer 360 for muti-plats.

[quote name='ssjmichael']They save more by not including it, and also make more since they sell it separately for highly inflated prices. So what you find retarded, makes smart business sense to them[/QUOTE]

I dunno...They're not really saving much. It costs nothing to produce hdmi cables. And I don't know how many people opt for the sony brand cables anyway.

It only does everything. Except for hd and voice chat. Those are gonna cost ya.

[quote name='FromChaos']I dunno...They're not really saving much. It costs nothing to produce hdmi cables. And I don't know how many people opt for the sony brand cables anyway.

It only does everything. Except for hd and voice chat. Those are gonna cost ya.[/QUOTE]

If only a few hundred people bought the HDMi at retail they would likely be benefiting from selling it separately. And you'd be surprised how many clueless consumers there are out there. Best Buy's bread and butter are these same consumers who buy Monster Cables at marked up prices. Since you know so much, tell me how much it would cost Sony to provide several million, yes million HDMI cables for free. I just don't think you've grasped that just because one cable is cheap doesn't mean providing millions of them for free is. Not to mention the fact that a certain portion of PS3 users won't even use the cable for whatever reason.

Nice little clueless troll at the end there btw

Just placed my order for the Infamous 2 bundle. Now I'm just hoping Amazon starts shipping them soon.

[quote name='Gatorsfan35']Successful. I bought this on 7-25 and they had no problem giving me the $50. They asked if they could put it on the PUR card, or credit the account. These guys usually take care of me, so I put it towards a couple of pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

No wonder, they see you coming from miles away, you put it towards more software from them!

[quote name='ijustw1n']No wonder, they see you coming from miles away, you put it towards more software from them![/QUOTE]

I can always cancel the preorders too.

[quote name='ssjmichael']If only a few hundred people bought the HDMi at retail they would likely be benefiting from selling it separately. And you'd be surprised how many clueless consumers there are out there. Best Buy's bread and butter are these same consumers who buy Monster Cables at marked up prices. Since you know so much, tell me how much it would cost Sony to provide several million, yes million HDMI cables for free. I just don't think you've grasped that just because one cable is cheap doesn't mean providing millions of them for free is. Not to mention the fact that a certain portion of PS3 users won't even use the cable for whatever reason.

Nice little clueless troll at the end there btw[/QUOTE]

1. The company would not provide them for free. No company does that, it'd be lumped in with the overall cost.
2. Since I can get hdmi on monoprice for under $2, I'd say their manufacturing cost to profit could be nice.
3. If it's an HD system and your next big thing video player, you can include the stupid cables.

[quote name='pippin']Just placed my order for the Infamous 2 bundle. Now I'm just hoping Amazon starts shipping them soon.[/QUOTE]

It's getting absurd...

[quote name='mietha']It's getting absurd...[/QUOTE]

Pretty vague statement. Just curious, what's getting absurd? Amazon not shipping within 24 hours? Or something else? My guesses are:

1. Trolls complaining about no HDMI cables. Others have already explained perfectly the reasons for this. The biggest being not everyone would use them
2. The amazing price for this bundle
3. Still not buying at this price if you can afford it and you are a gamer

[quote name='Xenogears']Pretty vague statement. Just curious, what's getting absurd? Amazon not shipping within 24 hours? Or something else? My guesses are:

1. Trolls complaining about no HDMI cables. Others have already explained perfectly the reasons for this. The biggest being not everyone would use them
2. The amazing price for this bundle
3. Still not buying at this price if you can afford it and you are a gamer[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm sure more people don't use composite cables than HDMI in mid 2011. Why not discontinue the composite and include the HDMI? HDMI cable isn't expensive and we are talking about a HD game and movie system. The PS3 isn't a VCR and this isn't 2001..lol.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Sorry, but I'm sure more people don't use composite cables than HDMI in mid 2011. Why not discontinue the composite and include the HDMI? HDMI cable isn't expensive and we are talking about a HD game and movie system. The PS3 isn't a VCR and this isn't 2001..lol.[/QUOTE]

Because old TVs don't have HDMI plugs, but most HD TVs still have composite. They include the basic cord that will work for everyone. If you have a TV that supports an upgraded cable type, pay $2 bucks yourself, pick the brand and quality you want.

Think of how many people buy a PS3 and don't have an HDMI compatible TV. So SONY must include composite for them.

Maybe if HDMI cables were still ridiculously expensive it would actually matter whether or not they included one with the system.

I'm pretty sure that if you can drop a few hundred dollars on a console, you can drop a few dollars on a cable.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Sorry, but I'm sure more people don't use composite cables than HDMI in mid 2011. Why not discontinue the composite and include the HDMI? HDMI cable isn't expensive and we are talking about a HD game and movie system. The PS3 isn't a VCR and this isn't 2001..lol.[/QUOTE]

Should they include component too? Because I assure you there are people using component cables too

For the CAG's near Plainsboro NJ
the gamestop on Schalks Crossing Rd 3 miles off RT 1 is overstocked with 120 GB PS3's they haven't been able to move them since the last price drop & no one is going gonna buy them for the same price as the 160 GB. Keep an eye out towards mid-late sept. as they may see a "managers special".

I know b/c I delivery to all the gamestops in Princeton, plainsboro, Robbinsville, East & West Windsor & Bordentown.

(I know b/c I delivery to them and have been asking when they'll drop em)

bread's done
Back