PS4 Pro Preorders up

Yes I am aware that the nx is coming out but Mario hasn't been on any other platform so I thought maybe this was the beginning of something new 😛

You're aware they have a new console coming out in March? No. No more than Sony or Xbox since they make mobile games (heck Minecraft is owned by Ms and is on Wii U!)

other than the lack of a 4k blu Ray, they compete just fine. It is a more powerful machine than the s so it should cost more.
My point is that at the lowest price point (299), Sony Doesnt have anything to compete with the Xbox S. Lack of a 4k drive makes it not comparable

Well, the XBox One S got started off at tiered pricing to begin with. So you have three different bundle/versions at three different prices, ranging from $300 - $400. If you want to make a direct comparison, the best option would be the 500 GB XBox One S, which can be had for $300. That's actually a pretty good deal, especially if you are in the market for a 4K UHD Blu-Ray player. And I believe it comes with a digital copy of the Master Chief Collection, which is also a nice bonus. This package stands up rather favourably to the PS4 Slim, which will be available for the same price point, but can't play 4K Blu-Rays.

But aside from that feature, there isn't much else to differentiate the two. The XBox One S is slightly more powerful than the original XBox One, but doesn't beat out the vanilla PS4. And it actually has had some of the extra features of the original XBox One stripped out. And it's game library doesn't stack up as well, as the PS4 has managed to gain a stronger foothold in the intervening time, and established itself as the lead platform for most development. And it's additional packages don't hold up as well because they are generally just bundles with digital codes for games and larger hard drives. If you had the foresight to get a PS4 instead of an XBox One, you can upgrade the hard drive yourself with whatever size or quality you please.

So yes, Sony does have a product to compete with the XBox One S. It's called the PS4. They don't need the PS4-Pro to compete, they already have the established market leader. The XBox One S will be very appealing to cine-philes looking to get a decent 4K UHD Blu-Ray player at a reasonable price. Those high-end consumers will likely jump on it to take advantage of their new, 4K screens. But how many of those are there?
The vast majority of consumers see Xbox 1 = PS4. They don't care about a very very very tiny difference in power that isn't even apparent in games. They also don't want to swap hard drive and don't care that is digital. This is 90+% of the market. They just see one game console with a basic bluray drive for 299 and one with a better Blu-ray drive and a free game for 299. Which do you think will end up under the tree this year?

The vast majority of consumers see Xbox 1 = PS4. They don't care about a very very very tiny difference in power that isn't even apparent in games. They also don't want to swap hard drive and don't care that is digital. This is 90+% of the market. They just see one game console with a basic bluray drive for 299 and one with a better Blu-ray drive and a free game for 299. Which do you think will end up under the tree this year?
That isn't apparent in games? Do you own both systems? I own both, and the Xbox one definitely has a "fuzzy" look in a lot of games compared to the PS4, due to 720p versus 1080p. People complain about people complaining about resolution, but the difference is definitely VERY noticeable when compared. I buy almost all my games on PS4, but have an Xbox One for exclusives and backwards compatibility. I can't wait for the Scorpio so I can play both XBox and PS4 games at a minimum of 1080p.

Just a heads up this console do NOT have a 4k blu ray player.  Digital Foundry also confirmed that it doesnt have the horsepower to be a naitive 4k gaming box which is kinda crazy,  "the PlayStation 4 Pro GPU lacks the horsepower to render out challenging content at native 4K"    It will for sure upscale to 4k like the Xbox One S.  Ill just wait for the Xbox Scorpio.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has an issue with buying newly announced electronics, I am having a hard time getting excited for the PS4P.  Until I know games will be targeting 60 fps I cannot justify the investment.

That isn't apparent in games? Do you own both systems? I own both, and the Xbox one definitely has a "fuzzy" look in a lot of games compared to the PS4, due to 720p versus 1080p. People complain about people complaining about resolution, but the difference is definitely VERY noticeable when compared. I buy almost all my games on PS4, but have an Xbox One for exclusives and backwards compatibility. I can't wait for the Scorpio so I can play both XBox and PS4 games at a minimum of 1080p.
I have multiples of both and tvs side by side. And no it's not fuzzy..at all. That's crap

Those who don't care about the power differences probably don't care about a 4K Blu Ray drive either at this point. For them what console has the games they want to play and/or their friends have will be a larger factor in which $299 console to get. Or at least it should be. What good in having a PS4 when you want to play Halo with your friends?

Any time someone asks me which one to get I ask what do you want to play and what do your friends have. No one has asked about hooking it to a 4K TV to watch 4K Blu Rays. Last person who asked me a month or two ago I mentioned 4K. She said her grandson has a smaller TV that is a few years old.

Those who don't care about the power differences probably don't care about a 4K Blu Ray drive either at this point. For them what console has the games they want to play and/or their friends have will be a larger factor in which $299 console to get. Or at least it should be. What good in having a PS4 when you want to play Halo with your friends?

Any time someone asks me which one to get I ask what do you want to play and what do your friends have. No one has asked about hooking it to a 4K TV to watch 4K Blu Rays. Last person who asked me a month or two ago I mentioned 4K. She said her grandson has a smaller TV that is a few years old.
My point is that for uneducated consumers (the majority of them), a power difference isn't a "box feature" but a 4k bluray player is. So when they compare the two, the Xbox S stands out.

Though you are correct, games and friends drive a lot of choices.

I have one preordered on Amazon since preordering is free, but I am a bit underwhelmed. I mean combine both the PS Conference and the Apple Conference, total lackluster announcements across the board. But knowing me, I will probably still get the PS4P to at least get the most out of my tv.

I think part of the reason why the Xbox One will sell pretty well this holiday is because people need something to put "under the tree".  Kids will want a big gift.  The xbox one makes for a logical suggestion for those that already have the PS4.  And, as was indirectly mentioned above, a lot of kids/people/grown-ass man-kids like ourselves end up with both consoles now.  So, it would not surprise me if the xbox one outsells the ps4 almost by accident.

Well PS4 pro isn't a new generation console so there can't be a leaps and bounds improvement.    I believe Microsoft is abandoning the current xbox one owners with the Scorpio.  With such performance improvement, either it will cripple the current gen xbox one or the Scorpio games will be crippled by the current gen.  Both systems will have to have equal ground in multiplayer games so having a huge performance margin will effect either system.

I have one preordered on Amazon since preordering is free, but I am a bit underwhelmed. I mean combine both the PS Conference and the Apple Conference, total lackluster announcements across the board. But knowing me, I will probably still get the PS4P to at least get the most out of my tv.
If I had to pay full price as a current ps4 owner..I couldn't justify it.

And everyone stop wining over the hard drive. A double-size hard drive over the previous model is not a bad upgrade. And they are still providing the ability to swap it out with whatever size you prefer. (just like you can for the existing PS4)
Sony’s obstinate refusal to allow external hard drive support at this juncture is simply ludicrous.

Even the Wii U has it.

Given the size of current games, 1TB is inadequate, especially for those who prefer digital.

Other than that, I think the Pro is fine but Sony needs to allow consumers the ability to plug in external storage.

Sony’s obstinate refusal to allow external hard drive support at this juncture is simply ludicrous.

Even the Wii U has it.

Given the size of current games, 1TB is inadequate, especially for those who prefer digital.

Other than that, I think the Pro is fine but Sony needs to allow consumers the ability to plug in external storage.
i dont get why you would want a unslightly box attached to your game system when you can put it inside where you can't see? Wish I can replace my xbone's internal hd. Its already a big ugly box, i dont' want to attach another ugly box on top of it.

I believe Microsoft is abandoning the current xbox one owners with the Scorpio. With such performance improvement, either it will cripple the current gen xbox one or the Scorpio games will be crippled by the current gen.
No, they’re simply releasing a much more powerful console for those consumers who want the performance boost to their software.

The model and strategy is essentially the same as what Sony is doing but with a much more pronounced upgrade for those who want it.

i dont get why you would want a unslightly box attached to your game system when you can put it inside where you can't see? Wish I can replace my xbone's internal hd. Its already a big ugly box, i dont' want to attach another ugly box on top of it.
Aesthetics aside, the ability to plug in an external device is both incredibly easy and gives you ridiculous amounts of storage space.

Of course we all have our preferences (many people prefer physical media) but the fact that Sony doesn’t make the option available to consumers is ridiculous.

Aesthetics aside, the ability to plug in an external device is both incredibly easy and gives you ridiculous amounts of storage space.

Of course we all have our preferences (many people prefer physical media) but the fact that Sony doesn’t make the option available to consumers is ridiculous.
so is inserting the hd in the console. I'll take that over being forced to attach another box.

So... Horizon Zero Dawn running at 4K... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua9UQQ2yHTw 

I was pretty disappointed by the reveal but holy shit, this system really is capable of 4K gaming!! Seems like they're using a lot of trickery but it does seem like it's actually rendering in 4K, not 4K up-scaling. 

EDIT* Even if this is 30 fps, a $400 4K gaming machine is a pretty sweet deal, even better if I can dump my old PS4 to make up some ground. 

No, they’re simply releasing a much more powerful console for those consumers who want the performance boost to their software.

The model and strategy is essentially the same as what Sony is doing but with a much more pronounced upgrade for those who want it.
what i mean is that either console will have to make big sacrifices since xbox is a essentially a multiplier gaming system. For example, to keep the frame rates up on the xbox one during bf1, the resolution and assets will be low to keep up with scorpio or they will handicap the games on scropio to make a level playing field with xbone during online matches. Essentially scorpio is going to be held back from the lower powered system.

Neither the pro or scropio is the new gen. I dont really expect anything mind blowing visual wise, just slight upgrades. Even with scorpios hardware it won't be naively be able to run 4k at 60fps with out compromises in visual quality.

I was pretty disappointed by the reveal but holy shit, this system really is capable of 4K gaming!! Seems like they're using a lot of trickery but it does seem like it's actually rendering in 4K, not 4K up-scaling.
It is hardware upscaling. Sony got AMD to add the functionality to the GPU.

I used to feel this way. And sort of still do. But attaching 1 external 2.5" Laptop HD isn't too bad. I upgraded my PS4 to 2TB drive about a year ago. I bought an external Seagate (cheapest way to get the 2TB drive). Saved the case. Picked up a 500GB XBox One in March mostly for exclusives and Gears of War. Had another 500GB laptop drive laying around. Put it in the external case and hooked it up the XBox One. Not having to reformat/redownload is pretty nice.

Both the internal and external 500GB drives are about full so I will pick up a larger drive sooner or later. It is so small I plugged in to one the rear USB ports and it fits behind and underneath the connections on my PS4 (they are side by side on a shelf).

I was seriously considering trading in the OG 4 to get GameStop's $200 credit. Then I went to their site and they tanked the value of the 4. It WAS $200, now it's just $125. $200 + tax for the Pro would have been worth it, now not so much. Not unless there are future trade in deals.

I have mine plugged into the back of the Xbone and hides perfectly behind it. You cant see it at all. And when i want to take my games/DLC to a friends house i just bring that and my controller and we are ready to go. + the bus speed on both the ps4 and Xbone is slower then USB 3.0 so you are getting a slight performance boost.

I'm still amazed that anyone in this day and age would bang on about hardware comparisons. It doesn't matter if the PS4-Pro is comparable to whatever the Scorpio ends up being. The question to ask is, "Will it will be cheaper?" Given what Microsoft is promising, the likely answer will be no. And if it ends up being yes, the chances are good that Sony will be able to drop the price on the base PS4, as well as the Pro.
Hardware comparisons are stupid unless the software is the same. It doesn't matter what Scorpio's specs are when you can't enjoy playing games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon or vice-versa for Halo and GoW.

Go with what you'll be playing because at the end of the day that's all that matters.

I just bought 65" 4K TV. I was waiting for the Neo/pro so I could get a 4K bluray player. With HDR being added to all ps4 systems I see no real reason to spend the money to upgrade my ps4. Instead I will be selling my 360 and getting an Xbone S.

Hardware comparisons are stupid unless the software is the same. It doesn't matter what Scorpio's specs are when you can't enjoy playing games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon or vice-versa for Halo and GoW.

Go with what you'll be playing because at the end of the day that's all that matters.
Agreed for the most part. Hardware comparisons get especially stupid when you throw PC into the mix. Watching people tear each other apart over the minuscule APU differences between the original XOne and PS4 revealed all that is entirely dumb about video game/internet culture lately.

what i mean is that either console will have to make big sacrifices since xbox is a essentially a multiplier gaming system. For example, to keep the frame rates up on the xbox one during bf1, the resolution and assets will be low to keep up with scorpio or they will handicap the games on scropio to make a level playing field with xbone during online matches. Essentially scorpio is going to be held back from the lower powered system.

Neither the pro or scropio is the new gen. I dont really expect anything mind blowing visual wise, just slight upgrades. Even with scorpios hardware it won't be naively be able to run 4k at 60fps with out compromises in visual quality.
Except despite whatever MS and Sony marketing have been saying, developers are already working on exclusives for Scorpio and PS4 Pro. Yes... it's happening. Everyone should get their hand wringing out of the way now.

I was seriously considering trading in the OG 4 to get GameStop's $200 credit. Then I went to their site and they tanked the value of the 4. It WAS $200, now it's just $125. $200 + tax for the Pro would have been worth it, now not so much. Not unless there are future trade in deals.
Throw that shit on eBay. I literally just now fetched $250 for my white PS4. Took a few pics, uploaded them, 5 days later I got more than what those scam artists were offering, even after eBay gets their cut.

There will be. It is happening. Mark my words.
I'm not sure about Scorpio, but Sony already put out guidelines forbidding Pro exclusive games.

But it’s important to note that the choice is yours. Whether you’re playing on PS4 Pro, the new slimmer and lighter PS4, or the PS4 system you bought at launch in 2013, you’ll have access to the same amazing games with the same features and same vibrant community that make PlayStation the best place to play. There won’t be any gameplay features exclusive to PS4 Pro or the standard PS4. In fact, we believe the impact of HDR on gaming and entertainment is so promising that all PlayStation 4 systems – back to the very first console sold in 2013 – are now HDR capable.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/07/playstation-meeting-2016-introducing-ps4-pro-and-the-slimmer-lighter-ps4/

I like the ps4 pro from what I've seen thus far. Biggest negative to me is the whopping 310 watts which has to equate to much more noise and heat unless sony has discovered something in the cooling field I'm no aware of.

so is inserting the hd in the console. I'll take that over being forced to attach another box.
You’re missing the point.

I’m not interested in having to open up my console and I’d prefer to simply plug in an HD.

There isn’t a single viable reason for Sony to deny this to its user base.

Options are a good thing.

(And MS should allow people to just as easily swap out the internal if they wish)

Disappointing all around.  Waiting to see how the first batch goes since it looks so cheap there's bound to be problems.  I hope the sales are bad so maybe somehow they will lower the price.  Besides their upcoming games I'm interesting with aren't even close to being out yet.  No rush with this Pro.

You’re missing the point.

I’m not interested in having to open up my console and I’d prefer to simply plug in an HD.

There isn’t a single viable reason for Sony to deny this to its user base.

Options are a good thing.

(And MS should allow people to just as easily swap out the internal if they wish)
agree to disagree, i prefer the less cluttered look for my entertainment center but I agree options are good. I do prefer the ps4 way of swapping out internal vs pluggin in external.

I realize we are gamers and tend to be whiny but why do you guys make such a big deal out of hard drive space? I play one or two games at at a time per system, 3 tops. I guess I don't really understand the big deal when you can just set something to download before you go to work and when you come home play it. 

Also, HDR is such a mess right now with standards and manufacturer claims being totally off wack it's probably not even worth it to grab a tv until the 2017 models come out. 

I like the ps4 pro from what I've seen thus far. Biggest negative to me is the whopping 310 watts which has to equate to much more noise and heat unless sony has discovered something in the cooling field I'm no aware of.
Most are saying the 310 watts listed on the spec sheet is the maximum load the PSU can handle and not how much the system will draw. It does however have a PC style plug port rather than the lower gauge figure 8 plug the PS4 has so it is likely more power hungry than the original.

EDIT* Even if this is 30 fps, a $400 4K gaming machine is a pretty sweet deal, even better if I can dump my old PS4 to make up some ground.
The problem is unless you see them side by side you won't really see a huge difference. Look at gameplay of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 then watch that same gameplay on Xbox One. It is hard to tell the difference unless you have them side by side. I was really surprised how different they looked once I played it on Xbox One even though I beat it on 360. This won't be the case since the PS4 Pro can't play games at 4K it is simply upscaling them to 4K at most we are just seeing games at a lock 1080p 60 FPS or a 1440p 30 FPS. We aren't getting anything higher than that but since we have no 1440p TVs or 2K TVs they have to upscale to 4K.

I realize we are gamers and tend to be whiny but why do you guys make such a big deal out of hard drive space? I play one or two games at at a time per system, 3 tops.
This is why. A lot of people create a massive backlog, and all those 5gb-8gb games plus the inevitable AAA 40-60gb beasts quickly eat up that little bullshit 500GB drive.

I realize we are gamers and tend to be whiny but why do you guys make such a big deal out of hard drive space? I play one or two games at at a time per system, 3 tops. I guess I don't really understand the big deal when you can just set something to download before you go to work and when you come home play it.

Also, HDR is such a mess right now with standards and manufacturer claims being totally off wack it's probably not even worth it to grab a tv until the 2017 models come out.
I am more invested in digital this generation. I bought a decent amount of games on sale mostly on PSN but some on Live. Also the free game on PSN and Live. Nice to just decide I am going to play GTA5 today. And then tomorrow maybe Destiny and have them ready to go. Space is pretty cheap. I bought a external 2TB for around $90. Upgraded my PS4 and had a spare 500GB to put in the external case I got with the 2TB which I connected to my XBox One.

Certainly not the end of the world but a more convenient. Worth $100 or so to me.

Throw that shit on eBay. I literally just now fetched $250 for my white PS4. Took a few pics, uploaded them, 5 days later I got more than what those scam artists were offering, even after eBay gets their cut.
That's because you had the white ps4 which is somewhat of a special edition. I think the other guy just have a regular black ps4 which don't fetch nearly as much. I'm tempted to upgrade though. I have a Japanese metal slime PS4 which fetches close to $400 for used. But really don't want to give it up yet. It wouldve been a no brainer for me had it included a UHD Bluray player.

I read that the PS4 Pro will be liquid cooled using the tears from Xbox fanboys.

There will not be exclusive games for either system. All games will work on the current and updated consoles.

"No one gets left behind"

Unless you're an utter dingus it's pretty easy to keep an external HDD out of sight.

The problem is unless you see them side by side you won't really see a huge difference.
This is the real issue that Sony is facing. Splitting hairs over technical specs is irrelevant. In this industry, it always has been. The most technologically advanced system in any generation is rarely ever the most successful. Cost, game selection, and marketing are usually much bigger factors. Development support is almost certainly one of the most crucial factors.

No, the hurdle Sony is really facing is one of messaging, and marketing. There's nothing inherently wrong with the PS4-Pro. But how do you convince people to buy it? Just throwing "4K" on the front isn't going to be enough. The changes that make it a worthwhile purpose are all in minute graphical changes and upgrades. This isn't a PS3-PS4 scenario, and even that generational shift had people asking why they ought to upgrade when their current system still looks good. Without a side-to-side comparison, it is much harder to pitch, and even in that scenario there will probably be consumers who aren't willing to pony up $400.

My personal suggestion would be for Sony to go for a soft sell, and under-produce the PS4-Pro this holiday season. Make the thing scarce on purpose, and you suffer less production costs, while potentially benefiting from marketing buzz surrounding a hard-to-find product.

bread's done
Back