Resident Evil 5 -Gen. Discussion - Lost In Nightmares & Desperate Esacpe DLC Out Now!

However, Sheva's kicks and ground stab are the best! ^_^

Might as well chime in my opinion... Demo Rocks, Splitscreen and Online play very fun, and deserve multi play-throughs, the interactivity of stages is wonderfully done, I like the "Sparse yet plentiful" ammo distribution...

Capcom, you're actually going to manage to pull me away from your own SFIV! Bravo! XD If this game has RE4-style "Mercenaries" bonus mode with online/splitscreen play, I'll be quite happy ^_^

[quote name='Megalith']Both stages are really easy when you realize the amount of freedom you have in running from the enemy.

The chainsaw guy is easy if you take the SMG from Sheva and give her the rifle, and shoot off all the explosive barrels when the enemies get close.

I think Leon's kick from RE4 was better than Chris's steroid punch, though.[/quote]

I agree, what happened to Chris. Then he looked like he had muscles, now he is like ODing on steroids.

I beat Dead Space a few weeks ago and I think I find myself really hating the controls and the experience because of it. I understand that the controls are part of the intensity of the game, but I ENJOYED Dead Space more because of the controls. I felt more empowered than I do in Resident Evil 5. I hope I end up enjoying it more than I did when I first played the demo because I can see there is quality in this game.

[quote name='screwkick']How so? RE4 completely changed the control and camera setup, and ruined the game. If it was such a great idea how come Capcom didn't implement it in the first RE?[/quote]

Im pissed at Nintendo for not implementing that running around planets thing in the first Mario game also. :roll:

I'm gonna stay out of this flame-fest :)

Uh oh. Did saying that just bring me into it?

My thoughts on the demo: It's hopeless to play with randoms, as they have no friggin' clue what they're doing, and as soon as all the silver kids get access, it's gonna get worse. It'll be just like Left 4 Dead. The only times I finished the demo levels were with friends.

I agree about the co-op.

I'm sorry, but I pretty much never want to play Co-op with randoms. Ever. Have some of your friends pick up the game and play with them. I think that random matching is almost a hopeless cause. You'll run through 20 duds before you get a competent player who isn't a douchebag.

The only random matching I like is when I get to blow that person's head off with a shotgun in deathmatch. Random Co-op is just a bad idea. It's good that it's there, but considering the gaming community in question, don't use it.

I'm guessing that when the full game comes out, there will be slightly less horrible randoms. Right now, anyone and everyone is playing since the demo is free. A lot of the people that are bad might not actually want to buy the full game.

Either way, I'll just play by myself or with people I know.

[quote name='yukafls']I agree, what happened to Chris. Then he looked like he had muscles, now he is like ODing on steroids.[/quote]

First off, he never had muscles, he was of an extremely average build in code veronica and the first RE game.

Now though he is swol out of his mind. Which is cool, I don't see why people care so much. He's a fuckin' alpha male, baby.

It would be nice if they addressed it though in the game, as this Chris and the other Chris are practically different characters so they need to bring them together with a nice character introduction.

[quote name='ihadFG']I'm guessing that when the full game comes out, there will be slightly less horrible randoms. Right now, anyone and everyone is playing since the demo is free. A lot of the people that are bad might not actually want to buy the full game.

Either way, I'll just play by myself or with people I know.[/quote]

Well it certainly doesn't help that the controls are definitely a bit cumbersome, and that the small amount of info in game that does try to tell you how to control your character are totally weak. They should have scrapped one of the levels, made the other a little longer, and replaced the one level they got rid of with like some cool battle tutorial that takes place at the BSAA HQ or some shit.

I played with a friend last night who had never played RE4 and he didn't know shit. I was playing with him in person so I was able to tell him what to do and the button prompts make it some what easier, but had we been playing online he would have been totally lost without me their to give him direction. I had to tell him everything, about smashing crates, smashing fruit, etc.

[quote name='GuardianE']I'm sorry, but I pretty much never want to play Co-op with randoms. Ever.[/QUOTE]

I've had a different experience. Even the ignorant players I've been randomly paired with have been entertaining to play with. I end up spending most of my time trying to help/save them before they eventually get themselves killed. It's still fun though.

Remember, it's only a demo, so it's not like I care about my score or ranking at the end. When the full game comes out, then maybe I'll be a bit more selective in pairing up.

I love the way Sheva aims whenever I control her. It is SO much easier to land head and knee shots. Props to whomever pointed out the melee combos as well because one popped knee cap into a falcon punch is perfect for crowd control. I'm surprised at how much I am actually looking forward to buying this game.

Also RE 4 on PC after years and year was patched and its pretty much just as good as the Gamecube Version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwEXdTUmGDo

I do not reccomend playing the Wii version for 2 reasons

#1. The control scheme using the Wii mote will tire your arms in 20 minutes

#2. the Wii version contains less health and ammo pick ups making it unecessarily harder.

You can pretty much find the PC version for $5 bargain bin or download from certain torrent sites.

i think playing with a random person through Live is much better than the AI. I can't beat shanty town because shiva keeps stopping to shoot the chainsaw dude -_-

I throughly enjoyed the demo once I got use to the controls.

The co-op is really the best part atleast for me and my wife. She beat Gears on Insane with me (both gears) and many other games. I'm sure we'll have fun with this one to.

[quote name='KSHLove']i think playing with a random person through Live is much better than the AI. I can't beat shanty town because shiva keeps stopping to shoot the chainsaw dude -_-[/quote]

Try keeping her in Cover mode then switching to Attack once you've lured Chainsaw Charile out so she'll cover your back while you deal with him on the stairs. If he gets too close to her or you've got evade him just quick swap back to Cover mode and usually she'll make a mad dash past everything to get back to you.

Once you get you're bearings straight on controlling her she becomes a hell of a lot better to tolerate.

Awesome game. I've played RE 1-4 and I gotta say this one is pretty cool with the co-op idea. The control is pretty much similar to RE4 (which was my least fav) but it get better after you get a hold of it. Some cons I can think of is unable to move while ready a weapon (which is same for every RE), no free melee, no crouching, no quick heal button =p (I hate having to stop to use herb). But overall this is RE and those are what make it RE. Although I think it isn't horrifying enough xD didn't scare me at all playing at 11pm, but this is just a demo hopefully the full version will come with alot of susprises.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']I've had a different experience. Even the ignorant players I've been randomly paired with have been entertaining to play with. I end up spending most of my time trying to help/save them before they eventually get themselves killed. It's still fun though.

Remember, it's only a demo, so it's not like I care about my score or ranking at the end. When the full game comes out, then maybe I'll be a bit more selective in pairing up.[/quote]

I'm not concerned about a score or ranking. I'm just not interested in watching someone standing around, shoot at me, notice he can't hit me, walk around for a bit, then quit. I don't want to babysit another player.

[quote name='Ice Cold']I do not reccomend playing the Wii version for 2 reasons

#1. The control scheme using the Wii mote will tire your arms in 20 minutes

#2. the Wii version contains less health and ammo pick ups making it unecessarily harder.[/quote]

Actually, the less health and ammo pickups were changed around the time of the PS2 version of the game. It was basically a "fix" because people complained about the abundance of ammo in the original Gamecube version. This was sort of offset by the fact that the PS2 could not render as many enemies on screen at the same time... less ammo for slightly less enemies.

The Wii version has the same enemy count as the Gamecube version, but with the ammo shortage of the PS2 version. I consider it to be the definitive version. Both of these difficulty variables are offset by the Wii controls (which make many parts of the game way too easy), but you always have the option of usnig the Gamecube controller instead.

I liked the demo, though this does seem like it'll be a hard game. I can't wait. I did find it interesting that this is the same demo they had us play at E3 last July, so they could've released this months ago and there would be no difference. The bonus is that the game could be so much better now.

Any stores giving out pre-order goodies with this? I see Gamestop with cel art, but I'm looking for something more worthwhile.

I tried the demo, I wasn't that impressed with it, but I think thats more to do with the demo.

I think this game will be good in co-op, I guess in the full game you'll be able to start a game with someone from your friends list.

So if my regular co-op buddy gets it then so will I.

I tried the demo out for the first time last night, and man, that control scheme rapes you. It's going to take a while to get used to it. Still looking forward to it, although I should probably play and beat RE4 first...

I played this last night and I gotta say that I was a little frustrated with the controls as well. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm used to the PS2 controller playing RE4, which I honestly think has a better layout for a game like this, but oh well. I'm sure I can get used to the 360's controller scheme. I'm just kind of disapointed in how they made it though.

Other than that it looks and sound great aside from the roided up Chris.

Played the demo and I thought it was exactly what I thought it was - RE4.5 and, to me, that's not a bad thing. I loved RE4 (still haven't gotten the Hand Cannon on the Gamecube version as other games had distracted me at that point) and I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. I'll agree w/ the posters who didn't want to babysit a partner in co-op but once you get a half-way decent partner, it makes the game pretty enjoyable.

I was able to beat both stages after a few mess ups. I even realized you don't even need to beat the axe guy on Public Assembly. You can just outwait him on top of a small building that you need to jump across to and pick off any zomb- *ahem* infected people that jump across (axe guy doesn't like to jump; probably cuz of his big frakkin' axe). Just keep killing/meleeing them until the cutscene and, boom, end of game. If you're quick enough, you can kill off all the infected people and finish axe guy at your leisure before the cutscene ends.

Also, something interesting that I haven't been able to replicate since: Sheva slit one of the infected guy's throat from behind after Chris shot him to make him stagger. Anyone know how to do that? Must you shoot him in a particular way? Can it be done if the roles were reversed (Sheva shooting/Chris stabbing)?

The easiest way to activate a melee button prompt is to aim for the kneecaps or head. Once you land it shot it's all a matter of recognizing which stagger triggers the melee so just run up real quick and experiment. Once you've committed them to memory it makes the demo that much simpler to master and yes you can execute a neck breaker for Chris if he is behind a staggering enemy.

Well, I've had a playthrough and here are my thoughts.

Control scheme needs a bit of work. The whole 'run button' thing doesn't feel very natural, and it's clunky. Also, I felt aiming was a bit too slow (as in moving the gun to aim) in such a tense situation. Also, I don't like how the knife works, just being able to slash aimlessly. These things weren't very helpful in the situation.

My overriding feeling was that I spent a lot of time running in circles, taking a few shots and then running out of ammo, and then I struggled to get much more. I also struggled without ammo because the melee controls weren't stellar.

I'm still unsure about this one, I'm still very interested, but I hope they make some changes to the control system as it seemed very clunky at times. Overall though, I'll stay optimistic.

I think the control is perfectly fine. It makes RE unique. Yes it isn't comfortable control to use in a shooting game but it also makes RE more challenge. And I think the aiming is fast not slow at all (on default) just need a bit of practice to get used with. I do agree the melee system is a bit hard to use. But still a great game whatsoever an I wasn't a fan of RE4.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']The Wii version of RE4 was my favorite.[/quote]
Same here. I still hope we get an all new RE4 style game on the Wii (either a sidestory to RE5 or a stand alone story, I don't want a downgraded port).

[quote name='mada']I played this last night and I gotta say that I was a little frustrated with the controls as well. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm used to the PS2 controller playing RE4, which I honestly think has a better layout for a game like this, but oh well. I'm sure I can get used to the 360's controller scheme. I'm just kind of disapointed in how they made it though.

Other than that it looks and sound great aside from the roided up Chris.[/QUOTE]

You could always buy the ps3 version and use the controller A setup for the re4 ps2 layout.

[quote name='Cheapass24']You could always buy the ps3 version and use the controller A setup for the re4 ps2 layout.[/QUOTE]

I used type A configuration (RE4) style and it changed my perspective on the game

Played the demo and didn't care for it. I tried a few different control schemes and all felt sluggish. The game looked pretty, but played for crap. RE4 reigns supreme.

[quote name='Cheapass24']You could always buy the ps3 version and use the controller A setup for the re4 ps2 layout.[/quote]

I'm not buying a PS3 for at least another year or two. I can deal with the 360's wierd controls until then.

man some of these people who you get paired up in the random co-op games are just plain stupid. Here is a review of four different games I had:

Game #1: At the beginning of the game the guy just begins to try and shoot me with all his guns, and wastes all his ammo then leaves.

Game #2: We get to the room, where we can barricade the doors and windows with the shelf, I am trying to push the shelf to cover the window, and the next thing I know this guy is already outside getting killed by the enemy already. I am trying to save him, and eventually the executioner with the axe kills him.

Game #3: This guy at the beginning of the game just kept saying "Thanks" over and over then left the game.

Game #4: In this game, this guy takes out his knife and just begins to knife the floor for a minute then leaves the game.

WTF? I hope this is not something that happens often when the final game comes out. Probably just a bunch of people who just wanted to try out the demo, and never played Resident Evil before, or just idiots playing it, beats me.

I did have a blast playing with my friends on co-op, and as for the random co-op games I probably only had 5 good games out of the 25 or so I played.

[quote name='tenzor']man some of these people who you get paired up in the random co-op games are just plain stupid. Here is a review of four different games I had:

Game #1: At the beginning of the game the guy just begins to try and shoot me with all his guns, and wastes all his ammo then leaves.

Game #2: We get to the room, where we can barricade the doors and windows with the shelf, I am trying to push the shelf to cover the window, and the next thing I know this guy is already outside getting killed by the enemy already. I am trying to save him, and eventually the executioner with the axe kills him.

Game #3: This guy at the beginning of the game just kept saying "Thanks" over and over then left the game.

Game #4: In this game, this guy takes out his knife and just begins to knife the floor for a minute then leaves the game.

WTF? I hope this is not something that happens often when the final game comes out. Probably just a bunch of people who just wanted to try out the demo, and never played Resident Evil before, or just idiots playing it, beats me.

I did have a blast playing with my friends on co-op, and as for the random co-op games I probably only had 5 good games out of the 25 or so I played.[/quote]

What is your sig from?

I've been a resident evil fanboy since the first game came out so I'm used to the feeling of playing a recycled game. It doesn't bother me that much if the formula is good. RE4 really reinvented the series and RE5 has been in production for a while so I was expecting a lot more. After the playing the demo for a couple hours I'm feeling sorta letdown. This whole mandatory co-op bullshit is insane. Especially because Sheva gets killed every time I play. The fact that I know I can only play this game with a human partner makes me feel like this game is taking a step back instead of forward. Also I made this picture because I was angry:

re5.jpg

^^^ nice pic!

How do you control the A.I. partner's Cover or Attack commands?

Demo was so so, like a lot of folks, I struggled with the controls as well. Might try other layouts.

So I got wacked by both the Executioner and Chainsaw dude. The setup is really nice for Public Assembly, felt a bit like the first time entering the small cabin in RE4 where Luise helps out.

Glorified RE4, nothing innovative. Again, Target clearance item for me.

[quote name='Irukandji']I've been a resident evil fanboy since the first game came out so I'm used to the feeling of playing a recycled game. It doesn't bother me that much if the formula is good. RE4 really reinvented the series and RE5 has been in production for a while so I was expecting a lot more. After the playing the demo for a couple hours I'm feeling sorta letdown. This whole mandatory co-op bullshit is insane. Especially because Sheva gets killed every time I play. The fact that I know I can only play this game with a human partner makes me feel like this game is taking a step back instead of forward. Also I made this picture because I was angry:
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Mandatory co-op stinks. I want to play the game by myself, at my own pace, and when I have time not with a stupid AI partner or a human even if it''s friend. Co-op should be an option and IMO it's a major mistake.

I'll rent 2 copies for a week and play through with my brother.

well i beat shanty town with AI sheva. Yes she is pretty stupid but I stuck with the rifle and took the chainsaw guy out by myself. She barely shot the guy.

Can't wait for the ps3 demo to be out. Looking forward to playing with my friends on there too.

bread's done
Back