Resident Evil 5 -Gen. Discussion - Lost In Nightmares & Desperate Esacpe DLC Out Now!

Just played the demo for the first time..... and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I played and loved RE4 back when it came out, it was my GOTY that year. But something just hasn't clicked with me on RE5. Maybe it's the fact that the demo is hard (IMO), I died at the end of both of the chapters and didn't feel like playing them over again. Maybe it's the CPU AI, I need to try the demo co-op before I give my final judgement.

I am still planning on picking this up but I am less enthused after having played the demo.

[quote name='cgarb84']Just played the demo for the first time..... and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I played and loved RE4 back when it came out, it was my GOTY that year. But something just hasn't clicked with me on RE5. Maybe it's the fact that the demo is hard (IMO), I died at the end of both of the chapters and didn't feel like playing them over again. Maybe it's the CPU AI, I need to try the demo co-op before I give my final judgement.

I am still planning on picking this up but I am less enthused after having played the demo.[/quote]

I think I feel the same way. It was a lot of fun in co-op though.

gave the demo a try. I never played any of the other REs or other survival horrors.

I was able to complete the first demo stage after 3 tries. I gave up on the second after 3 tries (killed by the chainsaw guy). I doubt I'll pick it up but would enjoy playing co-op if a friend gets it

Just finished playing the demo. Yeah they are relying too much on 4 year old game mechanics. RE4 was great and revolutionary. RE5 is clunky, slow and behind the times. So many poor design decisions even beyond an antiquated control system.

I'm sorry, there is a good game somewhere beyond the issues but I'll never play the game long enough to find it. Some may like this game but based on the demo most will be walking away pretty unhappy.

[quote name='Megalith']I played RE4 after and it felt ten times smoother.[/quote]
Yeah I've tried the RE5 demo several times and it just doesn't feel as smooth as Resident Evil 4. Hopefully they'll tighten up the game a bit before it comes out.

[quote name='cgarb84']Just played the demo for the first time..... and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I played and loved RE4 back when it came out, it was my GOTY that year. But something just hasn't clicked with me on RE5. Maybe it's the fact that the demo is hard (IMO), I died at the end of both of the chapters and didn't feel like playing them over again. Maybe it's the CPU AI, I need to try the demo co-op before I give my final judgement.

I am still planning on picking this up but I am less enthused after having played the demo.[/quote]

I played RE4 for the first time last year and I had a blast with it.

I also just recently tried the demo, and I dunno... I liked it, but didn't feel as addictive as RE4 was. I think some of the main things was that Leon was such a better character than Chris in my opinion. Also it didn't feel as if there were as many "Damn that was awesome" moments in game. Of course in a demo, that is kind of hard to pack those in there without spoiling the game.

Also, somehow it felt clunkier, and harder to aim than in RE4.

huh i just saw a video on the xbox, saying that there will be two ways to play, 1 where you have to stand still to shoot, or 2. (they compared 2 gears of war??) where you can shoot while you are moving. if you prefer to play that way

[quote name='Megalith']I played RE4 after and it felt ten times smoother.[/QUOTE]

Odd.. can someone explain this? I played Resident Evil 4 right after as well, and it felt EXACTLY the same, just lesser graphics.

My only RE experience prior to this was RE4: Wii Edition and I personally thought the controls were fine. The menu/item system could use a little refining though, I loved the suitcase in RE4.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Odd.. can someone explain this? I played Resident Evil 4 right after as well, and it felt EXACTLY the same, just lesser graphics.[/quote]

Check back on page 27. I made a picture that illustrates your confusion.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Yeah I've tried the RE5 demo several times and it just doesn't feel as smooth as Resident Evil 4. Hopefully they'll tighten up the game a bit before it comes out.[/quote]

What does "smooth" even mean here? Tighten? What do you want them to tighten up?

You need to work on not being totally ambiguous.

Found this skin for the 360 on the GS website, Wesker making a return??

802983b.jpg

[quote name='yukafls']Found this skin for the 360 on the GS website, Wesker making a return??

[/quote]Probably. Capcom doesn't know how to write so they are probably just going to use the same one they use in RE4. I mean everything else is already the same. They really should just call this, RE4: Chop Till You Drop.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']What does "smooth" even mean here? Tighten? What do you want them to tighten up?

You need to work on not being totally ambiguous.[/quote]

I don't know what it is exactly, but something just feels off to me about the Resident Evil 5 controls. It feels like the controls haven't been changed or refined at all since the early builds of the game (and to be fair this is a demo, the controls could be refined a bit in the retail build).

I had no problems with Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube or Wii Edition). I first played RE4 in early 2006, so I had been playing plenty of duel analog FPSs, making me doubt playing a bunch of shooters is influencing my opinion of the Resident Evil 5 demo.

I'm still planning on getting the game on release day since RE4 is one of my all time favorite games. I'll just have to deal with the controls.

[quote name='yukafls']Found this skin for the 360 on the GS website, Wesker making a return??

802983b.jpg
[/quote]
Wesker's been confirmed back for awhile now. He's been shown in two or so of the trailer's. Same with Jill Valentine being dead.

[quote name='yukafls']really??? when did this happen, which ones???[/quote]
why would you want to know? it will spoil the game when you play it. Just wait and play it for full surprises >.>

[quote name='yukafls']really??? when did this happen, which ones???[/quote]
Tokyo Game Show 08 trailer in the last 2-3 seconds it shows a gravestone with Jill Valentine's name. That one also had Wesker in it. Though I think TGS08 had 2 RE5 trailers, but either one had Wesker (he has teleporting abilities in it).

Also there's this taken from Famitsu http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/12/deadjill.jpg

This trailer has Wesker and the Jill gravestone thing in the end.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44538.html

So, after watching the new Resident Evil 5 2009 Trailer that was recently put up on the Marketplace, I have to say that I couldn't possibly be more ready for this game to hit.

There is one possible spoiler that the end of the video left me wondering about...
*Note: this would be a huge spoiler if true, so be sure you want to read this*
Is that Jill Valentine (or some sort of DNA replicant) in the robe/bird mask throughout the video!? If so, that explains why they kept showing her grave in pictures and other videos and also why Wesker says "I thought you'd be happy to see us."

[quote name='KingBroly']It's too obvious what they're setting up here.[/quote]I'm not sure where I stand on this particular approach at the moment (assuming what I slapped spoiler tags around is correct). It could be good or bad, depending on what they do with it.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']So, after watching the new Resident Evil 5 2009 Trailer that was recently put up on the Marketplace, I have to say that I couldn't possibly be more ready for this game to hit.

There is one possible spoiler that the end of the video left me wondering about...
*Note: this would be a huge spoiler if true, so be sure you want to read this*
Is that Jill Valentine (or some sort of DNA replicant) in the robe/bird mask throughout the video!? If so, that explains why they kept showing her grave in pictures and other videos and also why Wesker says "I thought you'd be happy to see us."
[/quote]

Yeah I am going to guess it is Jill also. In one of the older trailers you here Wesker say "now that your partner has arrived, I'll leave you two to catch up". I don't think he is referring to Sheva here because there is no catching up needed between the two, and he must have been referring to Jill. The video editors for that trailer just mixed that line in with the rest of the video when it kept talking about Sheva and Chris being partners etc. The new video today (2/13/09) kind of confirms that scene where you could be hearing that line from Wesker. Perhaps it could also be
Claire? I kind of wish they didn't reveal the Jill Valentine grave thing yet, because now I won't be as surprise if it turns out to be Jill.

Yeah there is no question about who bird face has to be. One of the achievements hints at a certain character appearing and a list of enemies and bosses you'll encounter includes that name. So it's been a pretty poorly kept secret if you ask me. It's too bad I'll probably never play it though...

[quote name='MSUHitman']My thoughts with the Jill death, which her tombstone is shown at the very end of the TGS theatrical clip that debuted today on the Marketplace:

Mark my words, that hooded figure in heels from the TGS video released today that infects the first African and is seen fighting Chris and the other chick to help Wesker will be Jill. Wesker will have either brought her back to life or faked her death to put her under his control so she could be Eve to his Adam. No point being the evolution of the species if you can't continue the bloodline. :)

Also I concur that CE is crap for $90. I'm getting the SF 4 one, but not this one.[/quote]

Called it on Jan. 16. I hope I'm right, I can't wait to see that scene.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Yeah there is no question about who bird face has to be. One of the achievements hints at a certain character appearing and a list of enemies and bosses you'll encounter includes that name. So it's been a pretty poorly kept secret if you ask me. It's too bad I'll probably never play it though...[/quote]

Capcom isn't that's stupid. It's not meant to be a secret if they're showing it in trailers.

http://kotaku.com/5154109/red-xbox-360-appears-in-retail-listings

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Yeah there is no question about who bird face has to be. One of the achievements hints at a certain character appearing and a list of enemies and bosses you'll encounter includes that name. So it's been a pretty poorly kept secret if you ask me. It's too bad I'll probably never play it though...[/quote]
It can always be
Rebecca Chambers as well. Why does everyone keep forgetting about her?

[quote name='bardockkun']It can always be
Rebecca Chambers as well. Why does everyone keep forgetting about her?
[/quote]

Meh, too tall, even when the boots.

Who knows though, it could be. I mean Chris was built like Jay Cutler in the other games so maybe Rebecca grew a few inches.

You forgot about Sherry Berkin. I am thinking it's got to be Sherry. We know she is in the game. I am starting to think based on one of the earlier trailers that
had her in a red dress screaming and running away from something that it was her and that she has a dual personality of sorts and thus wears a mask to cover her appearance. Capcom has been know to throw weird shit at us and to find out it's Berkin, I would not be suprised.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You forgot about Sherry Berkin. I am thinking it's got to be Sherry. We know she is in the game. I am starting to think based on one of the earlier trailers that
had her in a red dress screaming and running away from something that it was her and that she has a dual personality of sorts and thus wears a mask to cover her appearance. Capcom has been know to throw weird shit at us and to find out it's Berkin, I would not be suprised.
[/quote]

Red dress? Running away? Split personality? What trailer did you see that I didn't?!

The part where Wesker is standing with her and says, "I thought you'd be happy to see us." Leads us to belive Chris knows both of them. Chris does not know Sherry Berkin though, so that wouldn't make sense.

The only time I recall Sherry being mentioned by the masses was when one first trailers came out and at the end it showed someone in what looked to be some kind incubation tank with their eyes closed. Then the eyes opened. The person was blond and had light colored eyes. That's really all we know about that, and I haven't heard any talk of that since that trailer.

I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, so I don't know if this is common knowledge or not; but I'm betting it's not.

A WARNING TO EVERYBODY

I recently went back to the RE Remake on the cube, and, upon completion, unlocked a costume. I began to wonder what the rest of the costumes were, so I Googled it.

I strongly advise against searching the name "Jill Valentine" into Google, as a seemingly large twist has now been spoiled for me.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, so I don't know if this is common knowledge or not; but I'm betting it's not.

A WARNING TO EVERYBODY

I recently went back to the RE Remake on the cube, and, upon completion, unlocked a costume. I began to wonder what the rest of the costumes were, so I Googled it.

I strongly advise against searching the name "Jill Valentine" into Google, as a seemingly large twist has now been spoiled for me.[/QUOTE]

This post is just as big of spoiler. Thanks. :/

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, so I don't know if this is common knowledge or not; but I'm betting it's not.

A WARNING TO EVERYBODY

I strongly advise against searching the name "Jill Valentine" into Google, as a seemingly large twist has now been spoiled for me.[/quote]

Good to know actually, thanks for the heads up.

A WARNING TO EVERYBODY

I strongly advise against searching the name "Jill Valentine" into Google, as a seemingly large twist has now been spoiled for me.[/quote]

Interesting. I typed "Jill Valentine" into Google and didn't find anything. Did you do an Image Search or General Search?

Oh and FYI, if you beat it a second time with Jill, you earn Jill's Resident Evil 3 costume. ;)

bread's done
Back