Resistance 2 - Out Now - Get your co-op on!

wait has something changed since the beta? people are saying there is no split-screen coop, there was split screen coop in the beta just no campaign coop

[quote name='jdioutkast']wait has something changed since the beta? people are saying there is no split-screen coop, there was split screen coop in the beta just no campaign coop[/quote]

I think yo have it right, I've seen people with the same name online in coop.

We are talking about co-operative play in the campaign, both splitscreen and online. Neither is available in Resistance 2.

[quote name='Draekon']I'm not really going to argue the point, but I do have a question. Do you do this to everybody in the PS3 forum or do you have some animosity towards me from back when I posted in the Uncharted thread? Every time since then your replies to mine feel like they're trying to stab at me so I tend to avoid this section of the site for the most part because of how bothersome it is. :p[/quote]
I really have no idea what you're referring to at all. I just find it strange that people think this is a two second process where they only have to flip a switch for a second player to show up in the campaign without any flaws, but they decided to go for something new over presenting a package that's very identical to what R1 had.

Going back to playing some more campaign and co-op, so you guys can keep complaining about the lack of campaign co-op.

[quote name='primetime']The point is that the beta may not be fully representative of how the final game's graphics will be. There are arguments on both sides to be made but there's no way to really know until the 4th, so really we'll just have to wait and see.[/QUOTE]

So? What do you think now? Was I wrong?

Look, I dig this game. I've got the collector's edition. Some of the scenes in the single player campaign are extremely beautiful. I love my PS3 and it's my first choice for multiplatform games. But get real close to the doctor guy in the first couple missions and zoom in on his face. Now step back about 50 feet. You go from excellent quality to sub-launch quality (as R1 looked better) due to their botched depth of field effects.

[quote name='Draekon']I agree, except for my one peeve that they removed co-op play in the campaign. I probably would have played through the campaign at least five times and loved every minute of every run if I could of had a friend along with me for the ride.

The cooperative play mode just isn't quite the same. Oh well, I'll take what I can get I guess.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was truly disappointed about as well, to the point I don't know If I'll pick it up anytime soon. My wife was pissed when she found out about that. We really enjoy the co-op campaign modes in most games.

Just finished playing some SP, and a little Co-op; I think the game came out great. I don't think anyone should down R2 for not having Campaign Co op; Its not like the devs were lazy and didn't have anything Co-Op, they gave it its own mode and own story. Hell, just adding a second player to what you have in the regular Campaign would be considered Lazy. I think its good that they seperated the modes, because it forces you to spend more time with the game. Basically, you're going to have to beat the game twice; once in SP, and once in Co-Op.

Graphically, the game is great, the lighting of the environments and the shine off the guns are the best I've seen. The character models could be improved... but overall the deatil of the guns, enemies, and evironments are excellent.

The online was fucking Smooth.

Also, how do you talk with your mic on PS3 games? Is it like XBOX Live where you just talk, or do you need to press a button? I was able to hear other players talking in the beta, I just couldnt talk to them...

[quote name='deadgopher']So? What do you think now? Was I wrong?

Look, I dig this game. I've got the collector's edition. Some of the scenes in the single player campaign are extremely beautiful. I love my PS3 and it's my first choice for multiplatform games. But get real close to the doctor guy in the first couple missions and zoom in on his face. Now step back about 50 feet. You go from excellent quality to sub-launch quality (as R1 looked better) due to their botched depth of field effects.[/quote]

Look, I never said you were wrong or right. My statement still stands.

[quote name='help1']Also, how do you talk with your mic on PS3 games? Is it like XBOX Live where you just talk, or do you need to press a button? I was able to hear other players talking in the beta, I just couldnt talk to them...[/quote]
You just talk, others should hear you, unless they muted you :p

Can someone give me a refresher course in Resistance history? I'm kind of lost on the story right now.

Does anyone else think the cover system sucks? Or am I missing something here?

There is no cover system.. just duck.

Resistance does a good job at putting a lot of enemies on screen, that's really the strength of the game. Plus the A.I. was pretty good imo - I haven't seen anyone comment on the A.I. of the game.
I remember hiding behind a pilar, and one of the enemies found that nice 45 degree angle line of sight to shoot me from. they duck, they run, take cover - basics covered.

Yeah ducking kind of adds a challenge to the game because the enemies are sorta smart. A.I. is pretty good. I'm running behind cars and crates as fast as I can because they're shootin' the hell out of me, lol. Hopefully the ducking thing doesn't get frustrating later on in the game.

Please please PLEASE tell me that there is someone that wants to play co-op right now. I'm sick of these idiot Spec-Ops that can't throw ammo boxes my way. Seriously, I'm a Medic and you ask for a heal when I clearly have NO AMMO? Do they not know what the orange box over my head is or something? They can't even provide me with ammo when I'm using my Soldier to block all the shots for them with my shield.

One time, I literally stood there for five minutes waiting for the Spec-Ops guy to throw me an ammo box when I had no ammo at all. I'm pretty sure he just threw them out just to provide himself with ammo. -_-

[quote name='Thomas96']There is no cover system.. just duck.

Resistance does a good job at putting a lot of enemies on screen, that's really the strength of the game. Plus the A.I. was pretty good imo - I haven't seen anyone comment on the A.I. of the game.
I remember hiding behind a pilar, and one of the enemies found that nice 45 degree angle line of sight to shoot me from. they duck, they run, take cover - basics covered.[/quote]They hide, but not all the time.

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty and theres still areas where they'll rush you in the wide open and you can just pick 'em off.

Also kinda stinks that your partner AI can duck behind cover and fire over it, but you're stuck standing next to a barrel and pressing L2 to duck. :whistle2:|

They really need to improve the server browser. You cant even tell the connection quality. being able to narrow results instead of having to scroll through them would be nice too

[quote name='Bavgate']Please please PLEASE tell me that there is someone that wants to play co-op right now. I'm sick of these idiot Spec-Ops that can't throw ammo boxes my way. Seriously, I'm a Medic and you ask for a heal when I clearly have NO AMMO? Do they not know what the orange box over my head is or something? They can't even provide me with ammo when I'm using my Soldier to block all the shots for them with my shield.

One time, I literally stood there for five minutes waiting for the Spec-Ops guy to throw me an ammo box when I had no ammo at all. I'm pretty sure he just threw them out just to provide himself with ammo. -_-[/quote]

I notice nobody really throws out ammo. I could be in a group with two or three other spec ops and I'm the only one throwing people ammo. So instead of fighting, I'm always just resupplying the medics and soldiers with ammo. Really annoying. Doesn't take much, just pressing one button once in a while to resupply people.

[quote name='Thongsy']I notice nobody really throws out ammo. I could be in a group with two or three other spec ops and I'm the only one throwing people ammo. So instead of fighting, I'm always just resupplying the medics and soldiers with ammo. Really annoying. Doesn't take much, just pressing one button once in a while to resupply people.[/quote]

Seriously. I mean, come on. Do they not know what a Spec-Ops is around for?

Anyway, I need to jump in a co-op game with you sometime, Thongsy. Whenever I try to get into a game you're in, it says I don't have permission or something, haha.

[quote name='tiredfornow']They hide, but not all the time.

I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty and theres still areas where they'll rush you in the wide open and you can just pick 'em off.

Also kinda stinks that your partner AI can duck behind cover and fire over it, but you're stuck standing next to a barrel and pressing L2 to duck. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]
i can deal w/ the no cover system. the thing that really takes me out of it is the gun floating & bobbing in the middle of the screen. it's reminicent of 1992 Wolfenstein 3d
Wolf3d_pc.png
. not up to snuff w/ this gen shooters like CoD, BiA, Halo 3, etc..

[quote name='TURBO']They really need to improve the server browser. You cant even tell the connection quality. being able to narrow results instead of having to scroll through them would be nice too[/quote]

Yeah the interface is weird. I joined a game with a Party of 3 and it split us into different squads. They need to fix that. They also need to add the ability to switch squads in the game like they had in Resistance 1. Why would they take that out? Also in the squad menu before you enter game you can't talk freely. You need to hit the button. That's stupid.

How do you get into ranked games online? I can't tell what games are custom and which are ranked.

[quote name='Thongsy']I notice nobody really throws out ammo. I could be in a group with two or three other spec ops and I'm the only one throwing people ammo. So instead of fighting, I'm always just resupplying the medics and soldiers with ammo. Really annoying. Doesn't take much, just pressing one button once in a while to resupply people.[/quote]

Well I think it is because some people are still getting used to have to play. With the controls I mean. I still see people who are medics trying to use the normal firing beam to try and heal... You are right though.

People should know that giving ammo (as a Spec-op), healing teammates (medic), and using their shield to block attacks (soldier) all give you extra XP for doing those tasks.

[quote name='Blackout']How do you get into ranked games online? I can't tell what games are custom and which are ranked.[/quote]

I think hitting "Play" instead of "Find" is the only way... Not totally sure though.

hmmm got my copy in from amazon today....
still not sure if i'm going to return it but I won't open it for another week at least when I decide though.

I got around to starting single player campaign. So far, the game definitely feels more alive, much more colorful, and more fluid compared to the first. I still wish I could select between multiple weapons, but loving it for now. :D

[quote name='Blackout']Yeah ducking kind of adds a challenge to the game because the enemies are sorta smart. A.I. is pretty good. I'm running behind cars and crates as fast as I can because they're shootin' the hell out of me, lol. Hopefully the ducking thing doesn't get frustrating later on in the game.[/QUOTE]

I think they probably should have gave duck its own dedicated button, instead of tap L2 for duck. You do get custom controls, so I'm guessing you can edit it to the L3 button, or wherever else one may want it.

lol I did find one embarrassing glich in the game, I was ducking behind a rail, and I was trying to shoot through the open part of the rail (wooden) and I could NOT shoot through the open part of the rail it registered as if I was shooting one of the pilars that were supporting the rail.

[quote name='Thomas96']You do get custom controls, so I'm guessing you can edit it to the L3 button, or wherever else one may want it.[/quote]

Yep, that is where I have it set and it works great. It is cool too that the controls save over for the online potion too.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yep, that is where I have it set and it works great. It is cool too that the controls save over for the online potion too.[/QUOTE]I just made the controls CoD4 and it works great. :D

Beat the game on hard, I died a shitload due to stupid shit. Fishies killing me in the water and the last part if you know what I'm talking about. My biggest gripe about the game though is the sound. I'm playing on 5.1, when the dudes are talking to me, why the fuck is it coming from the front speaker instead of the rear? Sometimes I don't even bother trying to listen to them because I can barely hear shit. I also had 2 slight freeze during SP. Froze twice on Online Co-op now, I thought they would fix that shit by now ever since Warhawk. Really annoying when I have to shut down my PS3.

I'm not a big fps fan, but I'm actually enjoying the campaign mode in Resistences 2. While I enjoyed MP in CoD4 I didn't care for the campaign there. Good job by the developers to includes all the various modes and not just be lazy and do a co-op campagin, though I would've liked that too.

[quote name='TURBO']i can deal w/ the no cover system. the thing that really takes me out of it is the gun floating & bobbing in the middle of the screen. it's reminicent of 1992 Wolfenstein 3d
Wolf3d_pc.png
. not up to snuff w/ this gen shooters like CoD, BiA, Halo 3, etc..[/QUOTE]

You know I had the same complaint, I was hoping that they would make it where you could aim through the gun, and not through the recticle. But look, Halo 3, and Unreal tournament don't have an dedicated "aim through the making of the gun" they all use the reticle. Essentially they all have that floating gun phenomenon. Resistance do a good job making the gun reflect from teh environement, and Halo 3 does a good job with the reload and the movement of the gun during the sequence. Halo, and Unreal, and Resistance 2, aren't tatical shooters, thats why I think they can get away without having a cover system, or a COD4 type aiming; its all about a fast paced shooting.

[quote name='Thomas96']I think they probably should have gave duck its own dedicated button, instead of tap L2 for duck. You do get custom controls, so I'm guessing you can edit it to the L3 button, or wherever else one may want it.

.[/quote]

Yeah I switched the melee button to Triangle. R3 wasn't working for me. Triangle feels much more smooth. I'll probably have to switch the ducking too, it messes with me running.

So I got this today. WTF at no co-op campaign like in Resistance 1. Also, the online play isn't working for me at all, I get network connection errors nonstop... Local co-op is stupid hard with only 2 people.

This game is really disappointing me, and I loved the first one...

Wrapped up the single-player campaign last night. It was very good, and I loved the parts where you partake in small skirmishes. It really felt like you were getting sucked into a war than was bigger than just your character.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Just got it in the mail, gonna give the SP Campaign a little whirl then I'll jump on for some co-op :D[/quote]

Make the clan already! ;)

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I wish I could drive down the street and just talk to them, gah.[/quote]
Here's your chance:
[quote name='EGMBryan']As we announced late last week, November 7 will mark Insomniac's first-ever community day. Fans will be treated to a studio tour, a panel discussion with members of the Resistance 2 development team, R2 co-op/MP sessions with and against Insomniacs, and much more.

If you're in the Los Angeles area on November 7 and are at least 17 years old, you can RSVP to the event and get more details here.
[/quote]
http://beta-forums.myresistance.net/myres/board/message?board.id=resistance2&thread.id=4659

Wow the Resistance servers are terrible. They need to get this shit in check before the game comes out. It seems like every game that comes out that has an online component is completely fucked up the first week or two.

[quote name='Blackout']Wow the Resistance servers are terrible. They need to get this shit in check before the game comes out. It seems like every game that comes out that has an online component is completely fucked up the first week or two.[/quote]

Its the socom effect.. for two of sonys (arguably) biggest titles online (hell socom WAS ONLINE ONLY)..

I think they underestimated the number of people playing online at a time..

On a positive note, this will get patched soon.. socom took two weeks and since resistance is higher up on the totem pole expect it to be fixed a lot sooner.

bread's done
Back