RightStuf.com Holiday Sales (Black Friday leading up to 12+ Days of Anime)

WTK

CAGiversary!
12+ Days of Savings - Main Sales Page

12days-extended.jpg

Right Stuf is ready to make your holidays even merrier -- with 12+ days of savings on Blu-ray discs, DVDs, box sets, books, bundles and more!

Each day, we'll update Rightstuf.com with the latest additions to our list of holiday deals, and everything on this list will be on sale until 11:59 p.m. CT on December 12, 2011. (Just add the items to your cart and check out to save! Please note: Quantities for some items -- specifically, those that include counters on their item pages -- may be limited.)

Make your list, check it twice (or more!), and have a safe and happy holiday season!*
*Be sure to drop into the workshop for more holiday fun!
DAY 01:
DAY 02:
DAY 03:
DAY 04:
DAY 05:
DAY 06:
DAY 07:
DAY 08:
DAY 09:
DAY 10:
DAY 11:
DAY 12:
DAY 13:

Black Friday/Cyber Monday Bargains on Blu-ray, DVDs & More! @ RightStuf.com

blackFriday-news.jpg

Kick off the holiday season with special deals on selected DVDs, Blu-ray discs, box sets and more for a limited time – from today through 11:59 p.m. CST on Cyber Monday (November 28, 2011)!

How? Just add the item to your shopping cart and check out to save!
(No coupon codes and the sale prices are in red!)

But hurry! Some quantities are limited, AND the sale ends on November 28, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. CST!
EDIT: Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale is still ongoing!

FUNimation Bargain Bundles Promotion @ RightStuf.com

While supplies last, customers ordering this bundle will also receive a black Funimation tote bag.
  • FUNimation Action Pack-ed Bundle 1 (Hyb) - Your Price: $49.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Devil May Cry (S.A.V.E.), Black Blood Brothers (S.A.V.E.), Blassreiter (S.A.V.E.), Nabari no Ou (S.A.V.E.)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 14!
  • FUNimation Action Pack-ed Bundle 2 (Hyb) - Your Price: $53.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Coyote Ragtime Show (S.A.V.E.), Kaze no Stigma (S.A.V.E.), Air Gear (S.A.V.E.), Vexille (SE)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 14!
  • FUNimation Butt Kickers Bargain Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $62.99 (You Save 58%)
    • Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie & Eizou Hakusho
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 21!
  • FUNimation LiveAction Sampler Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $13.49 (You Save 55%)
    • Mushi-shi, Ghost Train (S.A.V.E.), Synesthesia (S.A.V.E.)
  • FUNimation Magical Fanservice Girlfriends Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $78.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Rosario + Vampire (LE), Rosario + Vampire Capu2, Sekirei (Season 1)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Wednesday, December 21!
  • FUNimation Spirit Gun Blu-Ray Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $64.99 (You Save 64%)
    • Yu Yu Hakusho (all four Classics Blu-ray sets)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Tuesday, December 21!
  • FUNimation Still "No L" Bargain Bundle (Hyb) - Your Price: $40.99 (You Save 55%)
    • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (S.A.V.E.), Utawarerumono (S.A.V.E.), Gun x Sword (S.A.V.E.)
    • Note: this special bundle offer will only be available until Tuesday, December 21!

Some highlights of the current Weekly Specials (not mentioned above)

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well play the recommendation game as well, but how is Pumpkin Scissors? That one's always kinda interested me.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Just when I thought it was over they just keep pulling me back in.

Anyone know if Murder Princess or FMA OVa collection was any good?[/QUOTE]

Murder Princess wasn't that great. My GF liked it, but I thought it was very cliche. If you're absolutely bored, or need a filler, yea.

I'm thinking about picking up the Dragonball bundle. I just got more into anime in the past 2 or 3 years aside from watching Cowboy Bebop and FMA when they aired on Adult Swim a while ago so I never caught DB or DBZ when they first aired. Would someone like me dig it or do people mainly like it so much because of nostalgia?

[quote name='electricsleep']I'm thinking about picking up the Dragonball bundle. I just got more into anime in the past 2 or 3 years aside from watching Cowboy Bebop and FMA when they aired on Adult Swim a while ago so I never caught DB or DBZ when they first aired. Would someone like me dig it or do people mainly like it so much because of nostalgia?[/QUOTE]

The original Dragonball series is a great watch, especially for newcomers to anime. I actually prefer the original DB much, MUCH more than DBZ because, in my opinion, it has a better balance of story, drama, and action

[quote name='JoePianist']The original Dragonball series is a great watch, especially for newcomers to anime. I actually prefer the original DB much, MUCH more than DBZ because, in my opinion, it has a better balance of story, drama, and action[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, I also found dragon ball to have alot more comedy than dbz as well. Master Roshi is just hilarious.

The original Dragon Ball was an action adventure show with a story. While Dragon Ball Z was pretty much train train train, fight fight fight, train train train. Both enjoyable in their own way, and much better when seen in their original DVD/Bluray and non-cartoon network or other channel butchered form.

[quote name='bardockkun']Might as well play the recommendation game as well, but how is Pumpkin Scissors? That one's always kinda interested me.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it. It's alternate history Europe like Valkyria Chronicles. It focuses on a unit of the military, Section Three, that's tasked with the war relief effort. I thought the best thing about it was the characters; they're really well done, and the English dub was great too.

However, the anime seems to only tell half of the story, since there are a lot of loose ends left over at the end. You'd have to turn to the manga if you wanted to finish the story; although, it seems it's been dropped since Kodansha USA hasn't released any more volumes after taking over for Del Rey.

[quote name='JoePianist']The original Dragonball series is a great watch, especially for newcomers to anime. I actually prefer the original DB much, MUCH more than DBZ because, in my opinion, it has a better balance of story, drama, and action[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Yeah I agree, I also found dragon ball to have alot more comedy than dbz as well. Master Roshi is just hilarious.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Drahken']The original Dragon Ball was an action adventure show with a story. While Dragon Ball Z was pretty much train train train, fight fight fight, train train train. Both enjoyable in their own way, and much better when seen in their original DVD/Bluray and non-cartoon network or other channel butchered form.[/QUOTE]

cool, thanks for the info. I'm probably going to pick it up. I'm gonna hold off on ordering it in case something good comes up in tomorrow's deals.

[quote name='RavenousBear']For those who are interested in Baccano! on Blu-ray,
Quantity Remaining: 85
at the time of writing this.[/QUOTE]

I'm already strapped for cash this month....I hope the stock holds out until next month

[quote name='JoePianist']I'm already strapped for cash this month....I hope the stock holds out until next month[/QUOTE]

Picked it up a while ago, a definate must for Baccano fans. A great show that does some very creative story telling. The bluray quality is awsome!

[quote name='mxwise'] I'm still on the fence about the Gintama bundle. I just started watching it about two weeks ago on Crunchyroll.[/QUOTE]While JoePianist is right about Sentai not releasing anymore of Gintama, I still thought it was worth getting after seeing all of the episodes Sentai has done (video on demand). Namely because the show doesn't feel incomplete where Sentai stopped because of the nature of the show, as opposed to something like Eyeshield 21. Just my 2 cents.

Also, another posted asked about Pumpkin Scissors, and it's totally worth getting at that price. Razzuel is right to compare it to Valkyria Chronicles, and also about the ending not really feeling like the end.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Picked it up a while ago, a definate must for Baccano fans. A great show that does some very creative story telling. The bluray quality is awsome![/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Definitely the best-looking upscaled anime that I have seen. I have yet to find an opening that I like better, as well.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']While JoePianist is right about Sentai not releasing anymore of Gintama...[/QUOTE]

I don't think Sentai outright said they're not releasing any more Gintama. At Anime Expo 2011 they said they didn't have any more on the schedule at the moment, so it might still be a possibility later.

You know, what people should really be worrying about is when is Sentai gonna figure out how to release the second half of Glass Mask. ;)

Aww man, if I buy everything I wanted on the list so far it would come up to $850. :( It's gonna be tough narrowing that down.

[quote name='DKYang']Aww man, if I buy everything I wanted on the list so far it would come up to $850. :( It's gonna be tough narrowing that down.[/QUOTE]

Thats aways the hardest part.

I found a coupon on retailmenot: "CP29-04"

It says "Free blind box bargain with your $75 purchase *one time use only Expires 3/15/2012"

but I can't seem to get it to work. My shopping cart is well over $75. Is the coupon no longer available? :(

[quote name='backseatdog']I found a coupon on retailmenot: "CP29-04"

It says "Free blind box bargain with your $75 purchase *one time use only Expires 3/15/2012"

but I can't seem to get it to work. My shopping cart is well over $75. Is the coupon no longer available? :([/QUOTE]
The various coupon's can't be applied if the item(s) say "Not Eligible For Coupon Discounts."

[quote name='backseatdog']I found a coupon on retailmenot: "CP29-04"

but I can't seem to get it to work. My shopping cart is well over $75. Is the coupon no longer available? :([/QUOTE]

Haha, looks like WTK beat me to it. I'll add to what he said though: items on sale always have the "Not Eligible For Coupon Discounts" disclaimer, so in order to use a coupon you'll have to buy stuff that's not on sale.

I picked up:

Azumanga Daioh DVD Complete Collection
Cromartie High School Collection
One Piece DVD Collection 1
One Piece DVD Collection 2

BTW, there were two listing for Cromartie, one was sold out. If yer interested act fast.

For the Dragon Ball sets, does anyone know whether a blu-ray and/or a higher quality remaster exists, or has been announced (Japan included)?

[quote name='RavenousBear']For those who are interested in Baccano! on Blu-ray,
Quantity Remaining: 85
at the time of writing this.[/QUOTE]I already bought it at Otakon at the Bandai Entertainment booth. It was $60.

[quote name='JoePianist']I've heard that Sentai isn't planning on releasing any more sets of Gintama on DVD, so if you don't like the idea of having an incomplete set of anime, I wouldn't recommend getting the DVDs[/QUOTE]I heard too, but I still wanted to buy the first season.

[quote name='G33']For the Dragon Ball sets, does anyone know whether a blu-ray and/or a higher quality remaster exists, or has been announced (Japan included)?[/QUOTE]

I have not been able to even find information about the original Dragon Ball in HD for Japan even. This price is probably the cheapest it will be. If Funimation does do some sort of Blu-ray hack job with whatever level their masters is. They'll probably botch it badly in some way but that would probably be years off none the less.

[quote name='Drahken']I have not been able to even find information about the original Dragon Ball in HD for Japan even. This price is probably the cheapest it will be. If Funimation does do some sort of Blu-ray hack job with whatever level their masters is. They'll probably botch it badly in some way but that would probably be years off none the less.[/QUOTE]

If they do release db on bluray it will probably follow the release of the Dragon ball z levels on bluray, which are pretty awsome for fans. Its a huge improvement over the orange bricks they released plus it has the original ocean dub for any nostalgic fans that watched it on cartoon network. I dont see how they can botch it up if they do a similar release for dragon ball.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']If they do release db on bluray it will probably follow the release of the Dragon ball z levels on bluray, which are pretty awsome for fans. Its a huge improvement over the orange bricks they released plus it has the original ocean dub for any nostalgic fans that watched it on cartoon network. I dont see how they can botch it up if they do a similar release for dragon ball.[/QUOTE]

I'm really hoping Funimation decides to do the Blu-Ray remaster with the original Dragon Ball series---I don't give a fuck about DBZ, but when it comes to releasing the ultimate version of Dragon Ball, I'm all in.

As I understand it, Funimation only has tape masters of Dragon Ball and GT, where as they got higher quality film masters for use with their orange brick sets, and then later used them as a basis for their Blu-ray release.

So, unless they go out of their way to get better footage for those two series, they probably won't get a better quality release.

There's also the Dragon Box footage in Japan that they could get, but I'm doubting Funimation is going to go through that kind of trouble for anything but Z.

I think the blue bricks look totally fine. A Dragon Box/Blu-ray release of Z was almost necessary because of how piss-poor the orange bricks were.

[quote name='Hao']As I understand it, Funimation only has tape masters of Dragon Ball and GT, where as they got higher quality film masters for use with their orange brick sets, and then later used them as a basis for their Blu-ray release.

So, unless they go out of their way to get better footage for those two series, they probably won't get a better quality release.

There's also the Dragon Box footage in Japan that they could get, but I'm doubting Funimation is going to go through that kind of trouble for anything but Z.

I think the blue bricks look totally fine. A Dragon Box/Blu-ray release of Z was almost necessary because of how piss-poor the orange bricks were.[/QUOTE]

Agree, but there will be plenty of time for funimation to get thier hands on some new masters for db before Dbz level blus finish comming out, like two years if they keep doing 1 a month until all 18 are out.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']If they do release db on bluray it will probably follow the release of the Dragon ball z levels on bluray, which are pretty awsome for fans. Its a huge improvement over the orange bricks they released plus it has the original ocean dub for any nostalgic fans that watched it on cartoon network. I dont see how they can botch it up if they do a similar release for dragon ball.[/QUOTE]The Ocean Group dub is on the new DBZ blu-rays?! Please confirm.:bouncy:

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']The Ocean Group dub is on the new DBZ blu-rays?! Please confirm.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Um... No. Not even a little bit.

The amount of editing they would have to do to their footage to account for everything that was cut out of those initial handful of episodes wouldn't be worth their time.

Crap. I found enough in that last day that I'm trying to find ways to hit near the $50 mark. Need something in the $10-ish range. Any suggestions? Wish I hadn't put those cheapy shows in my last order. Maybe I can cancel those? Never tried here, I doubt they let you do selective cancelling like Amazon.

How is Black Blood Brothers? Never seen it before. Had it in my Netflix queue. Also, Sakura Wars TV fits the bill as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed it, but others will have complaints. My one issue is that it should have been a full season. The story feels rushed.

[quote name='starkillr']How is Black Blood Brothers? Never seen it before. Had it in my Netflix queue. Also, Sakura Wars TV fits the bill as well.[/QUOTE]

Neither of those are worth your money.

[quote name='Hao']Um... No. Not even a little bit.

The amount of editing they would have to do to their footage to account for everything that was cut out of those initial handful of episodes wouldn't be worth their time.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant the american music score that was on cartoon network, I wish they wouldve included the original voice acting as a feature.

What's the difference between the two DVD sets for Sakura Wars? Seems like the same show, I assume it's a re-release in a cheaper box. Well, I could get $15 of HiChews or I could just pay $6 of shipping and not worry about it.

Alright, I finally ordered.

Pumpkin Scissors
FLCL
Mushi-Shi
Darker Than Black S1
Tales Of The Abyss 2 LE

I'm still waffling on Soul Eater, but I don't think I want to spend the money. :/ lol

[quote name='starkillr']Crap. I found enough in that last day that I'm trying to find ways to hit near the $50 mark. Need something in the $10-ish range. Any suggestions? Wish I hadn't put those cheapy shows in my last order. Maybe I can cancel those? Never tried here, I doubt they let you do selective cancelling like Amazon.[/QUOTE]

You can do select cancels. I'd reccomend calling them to make sure the cancel can go through before it ships (depending on your order status.) Keep in mind they re-adjust after cancels for coupons and free shipping, you'll get charged if you no longer qualify after the cancels.

All that $6 stuff in the holiday sale and there's nothing you can throw in? If all else fails, you can get a blind box item... or better yet, put in a Stuf for Service donation.

My order this year:

Bride's Story 2 and 3
Yotsuba&! 10
FLCL Blu-Ray
Nanaka 6/17
Now and Then, Here and There

I would've done more, but I opted to pre-order the Madoka Magica LEs instead. I probably would have skipped it entirely if it weren't for the manga. Depending on if/how long the sale's extended, I may come back for more.

Was the FLCL blu the right call? I could only find mixed reviews on it, so I'm not sure if the DVDs would have been better.

I'm going to get My Bride is a Mermaid since the price is so good, but need to decide if I spend another $20 filling up my order. Dunno what I'll get next.

[quote name='starkillr']How is Black Blood Brothers? Never seen it before. Had it in my Netflix queue. Also, Sakura Wars TV fits the bill as well.[/QUOTE]

Black Blood Brothers had a rushed ending but I enjoyed it personally watched it in two sitting [would been one but had to sleep haha]. Never seen Sakura Wars though.

I've been buying a whole lot less anime in the last year or so , partly because of the increase in shows available for streaming , and partly because I've still got a bunch of stuff that I've previously bought that I still haven't watched.

That in mind I'm still looking into possibly picking something up from the sale , but am mainly interested in either:
1)Shows that aren't already available for streaming elsewhere.
2)Shows that are available for streaming but are good enough that most likely I'd want to own them anyway.

With so many items on sale its hard to narrow it down , and I'm really trying to avoid blind buying anything unless I really think I'm going to like it.

[quote name='StarKnightX']I've been buying a whole lot less anime in the last year or so , partly because of the increase in shows available for streaming , and partly because I've still got a bunch of stuff that I've previously bought that I still haven't watched.

That in mind I'm still looking into possibly picking something up from the sale , but am mainly interested in either:
1)Shows that aren't already available for streaming elsewhere.
2)Shows that are available for streaming but are good enough that most likely I'd want to own them anyway.

With so many items on sale its hard to narrow it down , and I'm really trying to avoid blind buying anything unless I really think I'm going to like it.[/QUOTE]

#2 really depends on preference, but if I had to choose, my personal top choices that falls in the #2 category (going in order from Day 1 to 13) would be: ROD The Complete Blu-Ray Box Set ($99), Oh Edo Rocket! Holiday Bundle ($37), Princess Tutu ($15), and Dragon Ball Seasons 1-5 Uncut ($55). Too bad I don't have the money to get any of these after spending $60 on short notice to get the "'Oreimo' Limited Edition DVD Box Set" before it sold out :wall:

*Sigh* Maybe next year....

Thanks for the input on Dragon Ball. Based on Funimation's pricing for DBZ BDs, I figure it'll be years before a US DB BD release is in my price range, and since, as of now, there is no announcement of such a release, I could be waiting indefinitely for it. I figure I'll pick up the DVD bundle now and enjoy a first viewing of it (I've only watched random episodes on CN).

To anyone who has watched both the Read or Die blu-ray and DVD releases, is there enough of a difference between the two to warrant a $100 upgrade cost? It would be an instant buy if I didn't already have the DVD collection and I know that the blu-ray isn't likely to be discounted further (as it's Aniplex), but it's still $100 for something I already own. If I pass on it, I'll either pick up Baccano BD LE and Bamboo Blade, or just save $100.

[quote name='G33']To anyone who has watched both the Read or Die blu-ray and DVD releases, is there enough of a difference between the two to warrant a $100 upgrade cost? It would be an instant buy if I didn't already have the DVD collection and I know that the blu-ray isn't likely to be discounted further (as it's Aniplex), but it's still $100 for something I already own. If I pass on it, I'll either pick up Baccano BD LE and Bamboo Blade, or just save $100.[/QUOTE]

Not at all worth it if you own the DVDs. The Blu-ray version is just an upscale, and not native HD.

Well, as we reach the end of another great year-end sale at Right Stuf, I have a couple of final questions for people as I look to finish my last purchase.

1) Does anyone else have an opinion about Kobato? I know somebody already said that it was "average but still enjoyable," but after a quick scan for reviews, I'm finding it difficult to find anyone that hasn't rated it extremely highly.

2) What do you think the chance are of finding Chrono Crusade for cheaper than $20 at some point next year? I don't need to be sold on the show (I bought each volume on day one), It's a gift for someone that I won't need until next December.

3) Are there any other deals that are simply too good to pass up? Other than Clannad, Now and Then Here and There, Cromartie High, and Tears to Tiara.

[quote name='starkillr']What's the difference between the two DVD sets for Sakura Wars? Seems like the same show, I assume it's a re-release in a cheaper box. Well, I could get $15 of HiChews or I could just pay $6 of shipping and not worry about it.[/QUOTE]The HiChews aren't THAT good, you're better off just taking a chance with some of the blind box sets.

Picked up
-Those Who Hunt Elves
-Trigun: Badlands Rumble BR
-Area 88 OVA Collection

Its funny that I'm picking up the Area 88 Collection cause I have the second OVA series in individual DVDs which I prefer the whole collection in one box so I'm putting those DVDs on ebay soon. And the first OVA of Area 88 is even more funnier cause I just realized I bought it from the Christmas Sale last year according to my rightstuf.com account but never received it at all. :\

bread's done
Back