Rock Band series - Rock Band 4 out now

Rockband is meant to have fun, and to have an audience of all ages and to contain all kinds of genres, so big deal. Some people take everything way too technical and out of context of what it actually is.

I agree, which is why I have $300+ in DLC for the game, and am massively stoked for Beatles (although I know they're going to ignore the deep cuts of the Beatles). I just wish they had some better DLC lately that isn't forcing users to pay for promotional items, or atleast a big name like that of what Guitar Hero has got recently (Queen....). Oh, and still waiting for Nothing's Shocking :/

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Yeah but lots of Styx songs feature vocal harmonies and pitch contrasts, that will surely be gone because that same singer isn't there anymore. It's a small nit pick but certainly one that carries merit especially in the case of Styx. Besides, I'm not the one who jumped on anothers back putting words into their mouth; all I said was that I was passing on the Styx, but you guy's assumed I was saying "Rock Band is such shit that they can't even get enough money to buy the real masters which Guitar Hero is so awesome at doing."

Also, Rock Band is becoming a tool for people to pay for promotion. That's kinda bs. Between this, Spongebob, The Rocker, American Mall, Nickelodeon songs, it's quite disgusting. It's one thing for them to be free (Still Alive, The Rocker) it's another to pay to have promotion shoved down your throat.[/quote]

You're not going to notice Dennis DeYoung isn't there. Trust me.

I didn't jump on your back, and I didn't say you said that. GH is master of the covers.

Oh yeah, like 10 songs out of the 500+ available for download are promoting things. I hate what this game is turning in to.

I don't mind the promoting when it's free, I just think it's highly immoral to make you pay $2.00 for what is essentially a ad for a TV show or a movie. Atleast we know it's not Harmonix whose forcing us to pay for it, but that of MTV.

And I wasn't talking about you Trakan, but the one before who jumped on it as RB hate.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Yeah but lots of Styx songs feature vocal harmonies and pitch contrasts, that will surely be gone because that same singer isn't there anymore. It's a small nit pick but certainly one that carries merit especially in the case of Styx. Besides, I'm not the one who jumped on anothers back putting words into their mouth; all I said was that I was passing on the Styx, but you guy's assumed I was saying "Rock Band is such shit that they can't even get enough money to buy the real masters which Guitar Hero is so awesome at doing."

Also, Rock Band is becoming a tool for people to pay for promotion. That's kinda bs. Between this, Spongebob, The Rocker, American Mall, Nickelodeon songs, it's quite disgusting. It's one thing for them to be free (Still Alive, The Rocker) it's another to pay to have promotion shoved down your throat.[/quote]

That's a VERY small nit pick. Why is there any reason to believe the harmony vocal just wouldn't be sung by somebody else? I mean, if it were the lead vocal, yeah, you could easily argue having a different voice would totally change the song (see: "Tom Sawyer" cover...bleh!). But they could get anybody to sing the harmony for the re-record. Shaw could even just harmonize with himself. Nobody is going to notice that.

If you've got a general dislike for Harmonix or RB, that's fine, but it could be causing you to be overly critical of the DLC as well. Yeah, some unusual stuff has turned up in the marketplace, but it's not like it's at the expense of great content we could be getting. I have no problem with the country stuff, or the Nickelodeon stuff. I'm not going to buy it, but I don't mind people having a choice. Anybody paying attention should also be able to notice that it wasn't the ONLY thing released those weeks. Harmonix knows where its bread is buttered. Say what you want about RB becoming a vehicle of promotion...but what exactly do you think Metallica is doing with GH?

It's one thing to make a game dedicated to a humungously popular band including never before seen interviews and stuff fans would dig, to well supplement and make the full price worth it, and to release something to promote the newest childrens television show on Nickelodeon and $2.00 for it when they and other companies in the past have noted that this is promotional material and it was free. Anyone who makes the argument that "Rock Band is a family game/ they need music for kids" is kidding themselves as the game is rated "T" and they couldn't even buy it. It's pretty clear that content is for marketing. I highly doubt GH: Metallica was made to increase sales on Kill Em All.

I don't have a general dislike for either, I have a general dislike for people who write off Neversoft/Guitar Hero because it's the cool thing to think Harmonix care about their fans (hint: They don't after a while), or because Rock Band is "indie" to Guitar Hero's "mainstream". Nor do I like getting attacked for posting my opinion on the band's re-record, and have it spun as a attack against Rock Band when others get to share their opinion on DLC and they're not attacked.

And again, I wasn't complaining about the promotional stuff, I only complained about paying for them. Just because something else came out with it makes no difference; if I was complaining about the actual content then that would be a legit argument, but since i'm complaining about how money hungry Harmonix/MTV/Viacom are in charging for ad's, then that really doesn't have anything to do with it.

And I wasn't overally critical of the DLC, all I said was "The original singer in Styx is gone, so no thank you on the Styx songs since they're re-recorded." Which, as far as I can tell, doesn't contain the words "Rock Band" or "Sucks" or "This weeks DLC is shit". I was jumped on because I enjoy video games and enjoy Guitar Hero as much as I enjoy Rock Band, and what I said was no different than: "Renegade is about the only one I'm interested in."

Strangely, he wasn't attacked as "attacking Rock Band". Smh.

Even though the Pixies are my favorite band in the world, I passed on buying the songs again in GH because the remaster Neversoft did (and Harmonix too, to an extent) on the Doolittle songs are so fucking disgusting I can't buy them without being turned sick. I don't know whats more disgusting in these music games; the re-records or the remasters. El Scorcho in Rock Band is neigh unlistenable due to the remaster, and "Ace of Spades" is unlistenable in both RB and GH:M due to the re-record. Atleast Harmonix has gotten the closest with the re-record in that "Where'd You Go?" is about 73% close to the original. That is, besides the song's timing being messed up and the unneccesary solo at the end (someone please tell these artists that they don't need to throw in useless solo's into songs when they're being re-recorded for the games).

Oh and FWIW, I don't dislike Harmonix. FFS, I put together most of the Harmonix Wiki at FreqFans.Com and talk to several HMX staffers when working on it :/. The only valid complaint you can say against me being against Harmonix is saying they're smug in trying to sell their games as succesors to Frequency and Amplitude when in reality they're almost nothing like those games (Phase, RB:U)...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']It's one thing to make a game dedicated to a humungously popular band including never before seen interviews and stuff fans would dig, to well supplement and make the full price worth it, and to release something to promote the newest childrens television show on Nickelodeon and $2.00 for it when they and other companies in the past have noted that this is promotional material and it was free. Anyone who makes the argument that "Rock Band is a family game/ they need music for kids" is kidding themselves as the game is rated "T" and they couldn't even buy it. It's pretty clear that content is for marketing.

I don't have a general dislike for either, I have a general dislike for people who write off Neversoft/Guitar Hero because it's the cool thing to think Harmonix care about their fans (hint: They don't after a while), or because Rock Band is "indie" to Guitar Hero's "mainstream".

And again, I wasn't complaining about the promotional stuff, I only complained about paying for them. Just because something else came out with it makes no difference; if I was complaining about the actual content then that would be a legit argument, but since i'm complaining about how money hungry Harmonix/MTV/Viacom are in charging for ad's, then that really doesn't have anything to do with it.

And I wasn't overally critical of the DLC, all I said was "The original singer in Styx is gone, so no thank you on the Styx songs since they're re-recorded." Which, as far as I can tell, doesn't contain the words "Rock Band" or "Sucks" or "This weeks DLC is shit". I was jumped on because I enjoy video games and enjoy Guitar Hero as much as I enjoy Rock Band, and what I said was no different than: "Renegade is about the only one I'm interested in."

Strangely, he wasn't attacked as "attacking Rock Band". Smh.[/quote]

But you're missing the point man. Nobody is "making you pay $2 for it" as you keep wording it. It's a choice. That $2 that you might think is an outrage and a sham, might be $2 well spent to some kid. Different strokes for different folks you know. Do you really think it's Harmonix's decision to charge for a Nickelodeon song? I'm sure if Nickelodeon came to them and said "we'll pay you to put this song in your game, but we want to give it away for free...to promote our show." they'd say "No problem." It's not like they haven't given away free songs before.

But Nickelodeon probably thought people would be willing to pay $2 for it. If they're wrong...they're wrong. But a stupid business decision shouldn't be something that offends you. It's not like Harmonix is seeking out Nickelodeon for these songs. They're coming to Harmonix. But to say that Rock Band is not a family game or a game for kids is ignorant. The "T" rating does nothing to prevent hundreds of thousands of 5 year olds all over the planet from playing both GH and RB (nor should it). I can promise you that.

I think you've gotta take a step back from the argument here and look at the case you've presented. I understand getting defensive about people jumping on you. It happens to the best of us (I would like to point out that I haven't said a single critical thing toward you though). But, you just said you don't like Harmonix/MTV because they're money hungry and focus on selling ads. But you hate that people view Neversoft and GH negatively because they're "mainstream". Doesn't that mean they're trying to make money?

I can promise you both sides care just as much about money and neither one is innocent. I don't really give a shit whether Harmonix "cares about their fans". This is nowhere near that personal to me. As long as they keep providing a good service and support for a game that I've put a lot of money into, I'll be happy.

All I meant about GH: M being a promotion is from the standpoint of the band. I seriously doubt Lars and James give two shits about being in a video game, but it's a good way to PROMOTE their music to kids who may have never heard it (or most of it) before. Personally, I could care less about that game, as there are only a couple songs on it game that I'd enjoy. Therefore, to me, it's a waste of money. But I'm not going to discredit that somebody else might think it's the best game ever. If they love Metallica that much, good for them. It didn't hurt me personally that the game was released.

I think both sides have gotten way too personal with this. You didn't deserve to get jumped on for what you said, but at the same time, your opinion comes off with a negative bias toward RB. To sum up, you're both wrong.

EDIT - I do want to point out that I'm not debating the musical integrity of Metallica vs Spongebob here, lol, because even I think that's a bit ridiculous. But I will argue for people's right to like whatever they want.

Oh I know it's a choice, I was just saying that as a commentary on the state of gaming itself, I have never nor will I ever download any paid promotional song, I just feel bad for the people who get roped into buying an ad. Also Viacom owns MTV, which owns Harmonix, so i'm sure Harmonix had 0 input into what goes into the game (as much as they love to cry wolf). I did state previously that i'm glad it's not Harmonix mandating what gets charged what amount.

I just know the day's going to come, probably soon, when Harmonix ditches Rock Band like it has with every other franchise in their 15+ year history. Thats what got people all riled up in the GH thread when I said something about Neversoft atleast not taking the money and running.

"But you hate that people view Neversoft and GH negatively because they're "mainstream". Doesn't that mean they're trying to make money?"

I meant that as in a equation to rock and roll. People seem to like Rock Band and Harmonix because they're "indie" and not the big name game while Guitar Hero is known by everyone. Of course Neversoft and Harmonix are in it to make money, just one company doesn't throw a hissy fit when they are told to make another entry in a series while the other stays with the franchises. Of course, I doubt Harmonix have as much leverage now that they're owned by MTV, but if you go by past history, it's bound to happen that Harmonix will stop working on Rock Band soon. This is already evident by RB:U.

Also even though i'm 100% against XBL being paid, I paid for a month last night because I wanted to try RB2 on live. Is it just my copy or does the game crash alot when looking for players? Like I could never play Tug of War or Score Duel because it'd crash while looking and it took atleast 5 minutes to find people for Band Quickplay. I haven't tried it out with GH:M yet, but just wondering if this is normal?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I meant that as in a equation to rock and roll. People seem to like Rock Band and Harmonix because they're "indie" and not the big name game while Guitar Hero is known by everyone. Of course Neversoft and Harmonix are in it to make money, just one company doesn't throw a hissy fit when they are told to make another entry in a series while the other stays with the franchises. Of course, I doubt Harmonix have as much leverage now that they're owned by MTV, but if you go by past history, it's bound to happen that Harmonix will stop working on Rock Band soon. This is already evident by RB:U.[/quote]

Well, the people who think this are off base. Personally, I prefer RB, but it has nothing to do with this reason. I like RB's presentation. I've always like Harmonix's style (going back to Frequency and Karaoke Revolution). I like the emphasis on full band rather than super difficult guitar parts (I'm a singer/songwriter, so I appreciate a good lyric as much as a good lick). I have no inner "hatred" toward either group. I just appreciate a good time.

If, for some reason, Harmonix abandons RB (but with being under MTV's finger, they might not allow them to), and it begins to suck, then I'll reevaluate. There are some who think music games are just a fad and people will eventually tire of them anyway. Who knows. I don't have any loyalty to either group. I'll play whatever is worth my money. I bought RB2 and GH:WT, but find myself playing RB2 way more. That's just the way it is. You just gotta be careful getting into arguments with idiots man. Before you know it, you start sounding like one, haha ;)

who would want a STYX song besides "Mr. Roboto" anyway... haha

saw this on Billboard.com today.

Anvil hit the studio to record new versions of three songs -- "Metal on Metal," "666" and the first-ever studio recording of "Thumb Hang" by the Anvil pre-cursor Lips -- for inclusion in "Rock Band." "We did them in Toronto, just recently," Reiner says. "The original tapes were gone from the early records, but the band is far superior today than it was 30 years ago in every aspect. You can tell it's the same band that's only gotten better, so why not take a crack at this stuff?"

Which is a sort-of big story because of the hype this Anvil movie has gotten.

Yeah, see i'm the opposite, i'm a bassist IRL and I just hate the idiotic charting in some of the bass charts in Rock Band (chords in YYZ? What are you smoking Harmonix?), and love the innovations Neversoft brought to the table with Sustained Notes while hitting other notes, and the open bass note. Also I think hammer on chords is way overused in RB and kinda kills it for me, but that probably doesn't matter to alot of people who don't play instruments IRL.

I don't loathe Harmonix or anything, I just think they getting a free pass from most people is absurd, since they're just as greedy and scummy as what people assume Neversoft is.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Yeah, see i'm the opposite, i'm a bassist IRL and I just hate the idiotic charting in some of the bass charts in Rock Band (chords in YYZ? What are you smoking Harmonix?), and love the innovations Neversoft brought to the table with Sustained Notes while hitting other notes, and the open bass note. Also I think hammer on chords is way overused in RB and kinda kills it for me, but that probably doesn't matter to alot of people who don't play instruments IRL.

I don't loathe Harmonix or anything, I just think they getting a free pass from most people is absurd, since they're just as greedy and scummy as what people assume Neversoft is.[/quote]

Quit RB and stick with RL then.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']It's one thing to make a game dedicated to a humungously popular band including never before seen interviews and stuff fans would dig, to well supplement and make the full price worth it, and to release something to promote the newest childrens television show on Nickelodeon and $2.00 for it when they and other companies in the past have noted that this is promotional material and it was free. Anyone who makes the argument that "Rock Band is a family game/ they need music for kids" is kidding themselves as the game is rated "T" and they couldn't even buy it. It's pretty clear that content is for marketing. I highly doubt GH: Metallica was made to increase sales on Kill Em All.

[/QUOTE]

That is the dumbest shit I have ever read. My cousins are all under the age of ten and they adore Rock Band. They got the bundle when it first came out and the youngest one was four when they got it. They won't let their kids watch SpongeBob, but they had no problem with this game.

Also there are a ton of people in this thread who have specifically stated that they play with their young kids.

Dang, I just wanna talk about how my favorite Styx song is on Rock Band. Renegade is the shit, the others are good but I wouldn't want to do the singing on them. DAMN YOU TOMMY SHAW!!!!

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That is the dumbest shit I have ever read. My cousins are all under the age of ten and they adore Rock Band. They got the bundle when it first came out and the youngest one was four when they got it. They won't let their kids watch SpongeBob, but they had no problem with this game.

Also there are a ton of people in this thread who have specifically stated that they play with their young kids.[/QUOTE]

So? What does that have anything to do with the fact that kids don't have credit cards and kids can't buy T rated games?

Then again, if they allow their kids to play a game with lyrics about sexual predators, death, sex and murder but not allow them to watch Spongebob, then I think there is a bigger problem there.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']kids can't buy T rated games?[/quote]Why do you keep saying this?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I just dislike Harmonix and their ethics.[/quote]

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Oh and FWIW, I don't dislike Harmonix.[/quote]

I thought that was pretty silly.

I think people "put words in your mouth" because everything you have to say about Rock Band is negative, even in the PSP thread. I've read most of your posts in the Rock Band threads, and I don't think that you're saying things just to be an asshole, but you don't need to always be so negative. Saying you aren't going to buy DLC is fine, but crying about getting a forum shut down, or whatever it is you bitch about, isn't something you need to bring up so often.

I also don't get why you're talking about Harmonix abandoning Rock Band. Eventually, Rock Band might not be so popular and they will move onto a new franchise. How is that a bad thing? People constantly complain about the number of games with a number at the end, so I don't see how a new property is something to get upset about.

I think Harmonix has done a great job by making the DLC work on both Rock Band and Rock Band 2, and giving the ability to import the original Rock Band songs for $5. Take that, along with the new content every week, and I think that's why people consider Harmonix to care about their customer more. I bought a Spongebob song for $1 (not $2 each by the way), and my little sister likes it, so I'm glad they released it. I think Rock Band has done a wider variety of weird songs than Guitar Hero, a few of which have been free. I know Guitar Hero 3 had some cool stuff like the Halo theme song for free, but I haven't heard or cared about much else.

[quote name='sj41']Why do you keep saying this?

I thought that was pretty silly.

I think people "put words in your mouth" because everything you have to say about Rock Band is negative, even in the PSP thread. I've read most of your posts in the Rock Band threads, and I don't think that you're saying things just to be an asshole, but you don't need to always be so negative. Saying you aren't going to buy DLC is fine, but crying about getting a forum shut down, or whatever it is you bitch about, isn't something you need to bring up so often.

I also don't get why you're talking about Harmonix abandoning Rock Band. Eventually, Rock Band might not be so popular and they will move onto a new franchise. How is that a bad thing? People constantly complain about the number of games with a number at the end, so I don't see how a new property is something to get upset about.

I think Harmonix has done a great job by making the DLC work on both Rock Band and Rock Band 2, and giving the ability to import the original Rock Band songs for $5. Take that, along with the new content every week, and I think that's why people consider Harmonix to care about their customer more. I bought a Spongebob song for $1 (not $2 each by the way), and my little sister likes it, so I'm glad they released it. I think Rock Band has done a wider variety of weird songs than Guitar Hero, a few of which have been free. I know Guitar Hero 3 had some cool stuff like the Halo theme song for free, but I haven't heard or cared about much else.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: Eh continuing this fight against the Harmonix army is pointless. But you can read what I said in the spoiler.

I said "Harmonix and their ethics", essentially "Harmonix' ethics". If I was saying I disliked Harmonix and their ethics I would've wrote "Harmonix, and the ethics they have". Alas, I didn't.

I think people "put words in your mouth" because everything you have to say about Rock Band is negative, even in the PSP thread.

Because i'm not buying their marketing bullshit about it being Freq3. They pulled the same thing with Phase.

Saying you aren't going to buy DLC is fine, but crying about getting a forum shut down, or whatever it is you bitch about, isn't something you need to bring up so often.

I never once said anything regarding that in this thread, only in the Guitar Hero:M thread when some people got hurt that I said that Guitar Hero Metallica is a better game than what Harmonix has produced in the past 5 years.

I also don't get why you're talking about Harmonix abandoning Rock Band.

Because their history shows they're a flavor of the week developer? They did it to Freq, KR, GH, certainly they're going to do it with RB?

Why do you keep saying this?
Rock Band is rated "T". That means that no kid who is a fan of Hannah Montannah or whatever the hell that stuff is called that is under 13 can't buy the DLC or Rock Band, so I don't buy the "the DLC is for kids!" argument, as there's no kids. Theoretically.

Take that, along with the new content every week, and I think that's why people consider Harmonix to care about their customer more.

But...Neversoft does the same thing? Neversoft constantly goes out of their way to get the fans to come in and play the game, have contests for the fans, and give away free songs. Harmonix allows you to pay THEM $65+ to bring the Rock Band 1 songs into Rock Band 2 (I know you can do it for cheaper, but if you did it legitimately it'd be $65+), along with charging for songs that should be free. Such great fan support. Smh.

I Think we should just drop this argument and pay attention to this.
[quote name='DestroVega']who would want a STYX song besides "Mr. Roboto" anyway... haha

saw this on Billboard.com today.

Anvil hit the studio to record new versions of three songs -- "Metal on Metal," "666" and the first-ever studio recording of "Thumb Hang" by the Anvil pre-cursor Lips -- for inclusion in "Rock Band." "We did them in Toronto, just recently," Reiner says. "The original tapes were gone from the early records, but the band is far superior today than it was 30 years ago in every aspect. You can tell it's the same band that's only gotten better, so why not take a crack at this stuff?"

Which is a sort-of big story because of the hype this Anvil movie has gotten.[/quote]
fucking awesome.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']
Also, Rock Band is becoming a tool for people to pay for promotion. That's kinda bs. Between this, Spongebob, The Rocker, American Mall, Nickelodeon songs, it's quite disgusting. It's one thing for them to be free (Still Alive, The Rocker) it's another to pay to have promotion shoved down your throat.[/QUOTE]

Were you not around last summer? They easily had a dozen 'promo' songs from the likes of The Offspring, GNR, Motley Crue, Disturbed, Dream Theater, etc. All artists that had DLC of their latest album material before we got classic stuff. (GNR on the RB2 disc of course).

I do agree that anything that promotes a band's latest album should at least be discounted to $1, and some of those were. I also agree that Neversoft has blown HMX out of the water in regards to quality free offerings.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']EDIT: Eh continuing this fight against the Harmonix army is pointless. But you can read what I said in the spoiler.

I said "Harmonix and their ethics", essentially "Harmonix' ethics". If I was saying I disliked Harmonix and their ethics I would've wrote "Harmonix, and the ethics they have". Alas, I didn't.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem isn't the 'Harmonix Army' :roll: it's the fact that you are making baseless arguments with zero way to back them up. It's easy to see the steady decline of the GH franchise (outside of Metallica) because they put out so damn many of them. You are also neglecting the fact that roughly 100% of the people in here were/are GH fans at some point. There is no blind allegiance like you are assuming. If you are going to claim a company is unethical, throw us a bone and give us a link with some examples, otherwise you are just trolling.

But...Neversoft does the same thing? Neversoft constantly goes out of their way to get the fans to come in and play the game, have contests for the fans, and give away free songs. Harmonix allows you to pay THEM $65+ to bring the Rock Band 1 songs into Rock Band 2 (I know you can do it for cheaper, but if you did it legitimately it'd be $65+), along with charging for songs that should be free. Such great fan support. Smh.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

What? :lol: You can twist the argument all you see fit, but just saying it doesn't make it true. Most people got a full game out of the original RockBand for months, if not a year. We paid $60 for a game and enjoyed the hell out of it for a long time. The import for $5 was gravy. That was AFTER we got our money's worth out of our initial investment. Plus, many of us sold our copies for $30+.

Rock Band is rated "T". That means that no kid who is a fan of Hannah Montannah or whatever the hell that stuff is called that is under 13 can't buy the DLC or Rock Band, so I don't buy the "the DLC is for kids!" argument, as there's no kids. Theoretically. [/QUOTE]

Again, what? Another absurd and baseless claim. I have to ask, be honest, are you thirteen? People of all ages play and enjoy Rock Band. Check around the net. You can listen to the WhatTheyPlay podcast(or even ListenUp) to hear John talking about playing with his kids. Or Gamers With Jobs, those guys are always mentioning playing with their kids. Head over to DVDtalk and read around, lots of us have kids there too. I have a couple kids, one who is four loves playing the drums and does pretty decent. Point being, you are living in a bubble if you only think the 16-24 crowd play these games.

Personally I'd rather expose my kids to the classic rock, but I have zero issues with kids tunes being offered in the game. It's a way to share a hobby and connect with your kids, even if it is Hannah Montana. Personally I'd love to get some Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem in there or even some of the SchoolHouseRock tunes. Those would be day one purchases for me.

If I have to take a guess at what he means, it is that kids aren't BUYING Rock Band, not that they are not PLAYING it. And since they aren't buying it, how would they buy songs that require points/a credit card. He is then saying these Sponge-Bob songs are promotional songs disguised as 'songs to download for the youngins.'

Maybe I'm off here, but I think that's what he's trying to say.

[quote name='seanr1221']If I have to take a guess at what he means, it is that kids aren't BUYING Rock Band, not that they are not PLAYING it. And since they aren't buying it, how would they buy songs that require points/a credit card. He is then saying these Sponge-Bob songs are promotional songs disguised as 'songs to download for the youngins.'

Maybe I'm off here, but I think that's what he's trying to say.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Harmonix allows you to pay THEM $65+ to bring the Rock Band 1 songs into Rock Band 2 (I know you can do it for cheaper, but if you did it legitimately it'd be $65+), along with charging for songs that should be free.[/quote]

As opposed to the fact the Activision/Neversoft hasn't made ANY of the Guitar Hero games BC with each other? Allowing Guitar Hero 2 , 3 or Aerosmith songs to be played within World Tour would be very convenient. Or even allowing DLC from any of those games to be BC would be something.

[quote name='seanr1221']If I have to take a guess at what he means, it is that kids aren't BUYING Rock Band, not that they are not PLAYING it. And since they aren't buying it, how would they buy songs that require points/a credit card. He is then saying these Sponge-Bob songs are promotional songs disguised as 'songs to download for the youngins.'[/quote]

Get parents , brothers , sisters or other reletives to buy the songs? Also its not like a credit card is required to get points. You can always buy points from stores.

How many people play RB2 with the RB2 guitar? I really want to get one to replace my GHIII les paul guitar but I can't find one for less than $60. I tried and liked the GH:WT guitar...except that I can't get past how loud the fret clicks and sold to a friend.

I've been saying Clutch in Rock Band forever, however I'm going more for Big News or the entire s/t album would be great...
Also anyone else disappointed that we get REO and no Can't Fight this Feeling or Keep on Loving You??
-Goatman

[quote name='ZForce915']How many people play RB2 with the RB2 guitar? I really want to get one to replace my GHIII les paul guitar but I can't find one for less than $60. I tried and liked the GH:WT guitar...except that I can't get past how loud the fret clicks and sold to a friend.[/QUOTE]

The only good thing about the RB2 strat is that it has the best way to synch, otherwise it's garbage like the RB1 one.

Also again, kids can't buy T rated games. How are you guys not understanding this?

[quote name='goatindaruffness']Also anyone else disappointed that we get REO and no Can't Fight this Feeling or Keep on Loving You??
-Goatman[/quote]

TOTALLY! I don't think either of those songs are "typical" RB songs, but I'll be damned if they're not crowd pleasers. Those are songs that draw a crowd and end up with 8-10 people standing around a living room singing together. I'd love to have those two tracks.

Also again, kids can't buy T rated games. How are you guys not understanding this?[/quote]
Yes they can, stores don't check ID for T rated games. They only check for M rated games.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Yes they can, stores don't check ID for T rated games. They only check for M rated games.[/quote]

Yeah, that's true. There's not really an "ID" you can check for a 13 year old, lol.
"All right. I'm going to need to see your birth certificate..."

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Non-drivers liscence.[/QUOTE]

You can't even spell the word correctly. Stop trying to defend a position that makes no sense.

FYI they are called Identification cards.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Non-drivers liscence.[/quote]

Jesus Christ dude. Just concede one freaking point already. How many 13 year olds do you know who have actually gone to the DMV to get an ID card made? You're sitting here arguing against a 99% probability, trying to make your 1% seem like a reasonable majority. You're just firing jabs back now...which equates to nothing more than trolling. Just let it fucking go.

The endless steel achievement has to be one of the dumbest achievements ever thought out next to the "Beat Guitar Hero 3 Expert with a Controller" achievement.

EDIT: It's not even worth it.

[quote name='ZForce915']How many people play RB2 with the RB2 guitar? I really want to get one to replace my GHIII les paul guitar but I can't find one for less than $60. I tried and liked the GH:WT guitar...except that I can't get past how loud the fret clicks and sold to a friend.[/quote]
I Usually go with the RB2 strat. Les Paul's and the GH:WT guitar keep messing up on me because of the detachable neck so I don't even care for them anymore (plus the GH:WT guitar squeaks so damn loud). Though I modded my RB1 wired guitar so now it clicks and doesn't have the squishy feel to it.

Or can forgo ALL this and just get an X-Plorer. Had mine since it came out and hasn't crapped out still.

Yes, Controller wise it usually goes (if you have perfect controllers):

Xplorer>Les Paul > GHWT>>>>>>>RB2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RB1

Atleast that's what it's like in "professional" play. Honestly it comes down to if you perfer that your strum bar makes clicks and has weight, or if your guitar can synch up better / like a light weight feel.

Just what ever you do, stay far far far far away from the RB1 guitar.

My first xplorer from way back when GH2 came out is finally giving me issues, but definitely got alot of use from it. I have two more in reserve from the GS/GH:Aerosmith promo I picked up last week.

I also really like the RB2 Fender Bass, rather trouble-free in the few months I've had it. I also like that it's a good bit larger than the other guitars, almost comparable to a full-size Strat.

I was thinking of trading my older xplorers and getting two les pauls, since I saw them for 19.99 new at best buy.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']The GHWT guitar is shit, waste of money. A Gibson came with it and it is better than the GHWT shit[/QUOTE]

Did you buy that wal mart bundle?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The only good thing about the RB2 strat is that it has the best way to synch, otherwise it's garbage like the RB1 one.
[/QUOTE]

False.

The RB2 Strat is leagues better than the RB1 Strat, which is garbage. The GH controllers are still better made, but the RB2 guitar is far from the slouch you make it out to be.

I'm a convert, I use to swear by the Les Paul, but I couldn't live without the RB2 Strat these days. It took a night to get used to the bigger buttons and spongy strum, but I can't go back to the tiny GH buttons and 'click' strum.

I've also seen some stupid amazing techniques with the Strat. Yesterday I saw a kid double HOPO "Visions" on expert where he would use the top and bottom neck to HOPO. It was pretty friggin awesome to see.

I prefer the RB1/RB2 guitar over anything else. I play so much better with those two guitars as opposed to the Les Paul or Xplorer, and it feels the best overall. The solo buttons are what help me pull off the impossible solos and what make the Big Rock Endings so much fun.

The problem I have with the touch pad on the GH:WT is that it's nearly impossible to know where you're feeling up on. That and basically can finger tap those "solo specific" parts on GH:WT anyways so pretty pointless a hassle to move hand down there. Plus each time everyone someone uses it as an alternative whammy bar it makes that person look like they're trying to jerk off the guitar.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Quit trolling.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad this forum has an ignore feature. That kid is just a flat out atrocious poster who belongs at gamefaqs.

What? So just because I don't like the solo buttons and the touch pad i'm trolling? It's not like the discussion at hand wasn't the RB guitars, that'd be trolling, instead we're discussing the merits of the individual controllers, which in GH's case is the shitty touch pad and in RB's case are the useless solo buttons.

Trolling is you trying to start a argument. Luckily the ignore feature allows you to ignore people who fume the flames and not have good conversations regarding the topic at hand.

I think the click is essential in higher-end play because it serves as a metronone, which is massively important in music. Some people (like myself) can deal without the clicking, but the metronome is much easier when trying to figure out alt-strumming and the likes.

Also do not get any of the RB guitars if you plan on using them any game that's pre- GH:Aerosmith. That might be the deciding factor for you.
\\

bread's done
Back