SONY PS3 SLIM Thread, AVAILABLE NOW $299, SHARE YOUR STORIES

They said all the features are the same on the slim, i'm assuming the harddrive is still swappable.

What an amazing conference, wouldve been even greater LIVE

Yay, backup/secondary BR player! I'll wait until amazon gets it...it might even show up in my gold box or something!

And it looks exactly like the chinese mock up pics. Matte with more understated logo.

[quote name='PVJAG']So do we know what this thing looks like?[/QUOTE]

Not really, but I have heard rumblings that it's pretty much the same as the leaked pics.

[quote name='Brian9824']Also i guess there is no incentive to get a non slim PS3 huh?[/QUOTE]

They did say $299 on all models so the 160GB Uncharted Bundle would be a pretty good deal at $299.

[quote name='Brian9824']Also i guess there is no incentive to get a non slim PS3 huh?[/QUOTE]

only unless u want that killzone 2/mgs4 bundle

[quote name='Microshock']They said all the features are the same on the slim, i'm assuming the harddrive is still swappable.

What an amazing conference, wouldve been even greater LIVE[/QUOTE]
Yea, fuck the internet and its inability to video record ANYTHING... Ugh. There are twelve year olds out there that have cell phones that can record video.

[quote name='Furashu']only unless u want that killzone 2/mgs4 bundle[/QUOTE]

im so picking that up if my best buy has it for $300

Ehh I had $430 in gamestop credit.... but still then i could get a bundle at gamestop... Hmmm tempting but i'll probably pass. Already got MGS4, and other games will be cheap down the road.

[quote name='PVJAG']So do we know what this thing looks like?[/QUOTE]

ps3-slim-big-1.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/sony-debuts-slimmer-ps3/

The design is pretty weak IMO, kinda looks like an external HDD.

Looks like they actually went with physical buttons as opposed to the electrostatic ones on the OG PS3. Interesting. Either way...I paid $300 for mine back when CC was going out of business, so I'm fine, regardless of if it's smaller. I mainly use it for Blu anyways...

[quote name='Oswald9599']LOL, we were on the same exact wave lenght Linkin[/QUOTE]

Looks fucking GHETTO. Where's my fucking CHROME on the console? What about my touch sensitive buttons? PUSH BUTTONS? What am I? A fucking NES? Who the hell uses PUSH buttons anymore? That's wack. I DEMAND MY TOUCH SENSITIVE BUTTONS BACK! I also demand CHROME on it. Damn Sony.

damnit, I traded my wii, 2 wiimotes + 2 nunchuks, and 10 games for a 40 gb ps3 with dualshock, mgs4, and warhawk a few months ago.

I should've just sold the wii and waited it out. GAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I think it looks ok. At least it still has a slot loading drive. Can you imagine if they would have gone flip top or tray loading.

[quote name='Paco']Looks fucking GHETTO. Where's my fucking CHROME on the console? What about my touch sensitive buttons? PUSH BUTTONS? What am I? A fucking NES? Who the hell uses PUSH buttons anymore? That's wack. I DEMAND MY TOUCH SENSITIVE BUTTONS BACK! I also demand CHROME on it. Damn Sony.[/QUOTE]

Finally Sony decides to join the console wars. Hopefully they don't botch this up by not meeting demand when the slim launches. I'd rather walk into a bestbuy and pick one up rather than deal with preorders.

So, any idea on how swiftly Best Buy updates their inventory in these events? I've got some gift cards and I would much prefer to buy my brand spankin' new PolyStation 3 Slim there.

Personally, I'm extremely happy with the design. It's sleek and pretty, with all the same features. Even without BC this a def. purchase for me. Though at this point if you really hate the slim then go buy a reg PS3 starting 2morrow. That's the best part of this. Sony is finally playing the pricing game and you have the choice.

i need more specs, backwards compability is the deciding factor that will make me dump my 80Gb fat, the power and eject buttons look like they are actual buttons now not the heat sensing ones, otherwise im liking the design

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea, fuck the internet and its inability to video record ANYTHING... Ugh. There are twelve year olds out there that have cell phones that can record video.[/QUOTE]

Judging by the total video blackout, even among the European sites, and the images showing that the press was packed rather tightly in the audience, I would think that the fault for that would lie more with Sony or the convention center (e.g. A "No Filming" rule, no direct audio feed provided to the press, etc.)

[quote name='anubis20']i need more specs, backwards compability is the deciding factor that will make me dump my 80Gb fat, the power and eject buttons look like they are actual buttons now not the heat sensing ones, otherwise im liking the design[/QUOTE]

Well, there's been no comment on BC yet, which would make me think that there is none.

Looks fine to me. I don't really want a fingerprint magnet sitting in my entertainment center. And honestly, considering a $100 price cut was just announced, this is about what I expected :)

The new look is kinda weak. I need to see more outside of the one picture before I really judge it. If Sony can add BC even if its software based then I might be tempted to eventually get a PS3.

[quote name='Nibi']I think it looks ok. At least it still has a slot loading drive. Can you imagine if they would have gone flip top or tray loading.[/QUOTE]

They took out the ability to install linux on the new PS3s. WHAT THE fuck SONY?

[quote name='SynGamer']Looks fine to me. I don't really want a fingerprint magnet sitting in my entertainment center. And honestly, considering a $100 price cut was just announced, this is about what I expected :)[/QUOTE]

So now we can finally admit it's a price drop :D

*phew* I was getting weary of your misnomer posts about how this was a sale, I was even beginning doubting it.

After looking at the photos, I noticed the following:

• No vents located on the sides. Just the back and maybe the front?
  • Removal HDD is located on the front of the PS3?
  • No power switch in the back
  • Sitting PS3 Slim is about 50% shorter in height than Sitting PS3
  • Standing PS3 Slim is about 1" shorter in height than Standing PS3
  • Standing PS3 Slim is wider than Standing PS3

[quote name='Oswald9599']So now we can finally admit it's a price drop :D

*phew* I was getting weary of your misnomer posts about how this was a sale, I was even beginning doubting it.[/QUOTE]

:D. With the 2 $50 Sears gift cards I just ordered with my ThankYou points from my Citi card, the PS3 slim is only going to cost me $199.99 + tax and shipping. And there's bing.com cashback (not sure how much so we'll see if I can save even more once those cards come in, this is awesome!

[quote name='js1']In the pics shown of it I don't see anywhere to swap out the HDD.[/QUOTE]

There is, what looks like at least, a removable panel on the front of the slim, below the disk drive. It seems to be about the size of a 2.5" HDD.

bread's done
Back