Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

focus attack then dash is a nice 1 hit parry...i guess if u feel lazy or scared of hoping over fireballs or sonic booms.

online was fun but annoying today. sorta like the first day i had for HDR. pretty much broke even(14-14) but i kept being stupid against shoto's(falling for j.HK>cr.HK).

i think i played 5matches that weren't against ken or ryu. hopefully tomorrow goes better online w/ more of a mix up.

For anyone who's struggling to beat the game on Hardest, I found these tips:

Set rounds to one, and time to 30 seconds. Use Zangief and spam his double lariat (LP+MP+HP) over and over again. This move is so cheap it basically bulldozes any CPU opponent out of the way even on the Hardest Difficulty. Now, Seth may be slightly more difficult, but your aim is only to reduce his health more than yours. Since you're playing a 30-second match, you'd probably win by judgment (time-out) as long as your health is more. You'd still have one more boss to fight after Seth on Hardest, but that's easy. It's really easy to complete Hardest this without losing a single life, so you get three achievements at one go (hardest complete, complete medium or higher without using a continue, complete medium or higher with one character).

And fighting Seth with other characters:

As neeker said above, use jump in kicks and normals. This is crucial. Dont bother with ultra's even if u have it, unless your ultra does immediate heavy damage (ie. not a heap of damage on the last hit). This is because the time will run out during your ultra so there's no point. Special arts moves dont work that great either.

If he teleports near you, he's going to command throw, so attempt a backdash if you can (he usually ex throws tho)

Oh yeah and the matches being cut in by challengers was nice, but goddamn by the 7th or 8th time while fighting against Balrog I had to quit and turn it off. I Hope it gets patched with a friends only fight butt ins.

Jesus christ. Competition gets WAY fucking harder as it gets later. Everyone I've been matched up with has like 1000+ BP and I only got up to like 150 before I started losing every other match after starting out like 15-5.

WTF. I changed priority to search for same skill players and I still just got 2 players with 1300 BP and 1500 BP.

For those of you having trouble with Seth, make you do not play any online games before playing the arcade mode. So when you start the game go directly to arcade mode and ignore mulitplayer. If for any reason you play multiplayer and decide to go back into arcade, no matter what mode you are in Seth will default to hard mode. So make sure you exit to the dashboard after playing multiplayer and start the game up again to begain arcade mode.

I realized this after almost breaking my right hand on the joystick. Please let me know if this worked for any of you. :)

[quote name='KingBroly']Having a lot of BP doesn't mean everything you know.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. But it obviously means they've played a shit ton more than I have.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Jesus christ. Competition gets WAY fucking harder as it gets later. Everyone I've been matched up with has like 1000+ BP and I only got up to like 150 before I started losing every other match after starting out like 15-5.

WTF. I changed priority to search for same skill players and I still just got 2 players with 1300 BP and 1500 BP.[/quote]

Probably not that many players with low BP up at this time of night. I only have sixty something as I've only played 3 ranked matches online. Going to get Gouken tomorrow night and then be done with single player for awhile.

[quote name='naiku']focus attack then dash is a nice 1 hit parry...i guess if u feel lazy or scared of hoping over fireballs or sonic booms.

online was fun but annoying today. sorta like the first day i had for HDR. pretty much broke even(14-14) but i kept being stupid against shoto's(falling for j.HK>cr.HK).

i think i played 5matches that weren't against ken or ryu. hopefully tomorrow goes better online w/ more of a mix up.[/QUOTE]

Shotos are the only ones i can use since Ken is my top choice in third strike....but this is completely different. I kept eating pop up Shoryuken because i kept thinking that Ken's medium up close punch had priority....but not in this one.

I actually had a variety than ken and ryu. Took on M.Bison,Abel,Guile,Zangief,Chun Li..and then the other half were Shotos.

i think in a couple weeks we will see the variety flourish. Its going to take some time to learn the new guys and get used to the new gameplay.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, Seth is horrible. What difficulty are you on, Exile? Don't forget there are difficulties below Easy. You should only attempt Medium or higher with your best character(s)...[/quote]

I was playing on medium, I want to get the achiev for beating arcade with all characters on medium. Seth is straight shit. I switched to easy to unlock people for now and I can now beat seth but he is still way way harder than he should be on this difficulty.

I played online for a good while tonight too, I only won one match, I have 0 BP and I kept playing dudes with over 1000, whats that all about? Anyways I had tons of fun even getting my ass handed to me. I want to make Cammy my main but with how easily my ass got kicked I'm wondering if I should chang that.

Also I played nothing but Shoto's while online.

[quote name='KingBroly']Has ANYONE beaten Time Attack 14 yet? How did you do it if so?[/quote]

I'm assuming its the horrible no specials one? It took me two tries, I main Guile. Just have to really watch yourself and punish when you can. Fei Long is the main one I had issues with. I worked people with crouching jabs a lot and tried to connect with my ultra's, since your damage is upped your ultras do insane amounts of damage.

WTF. Game didn't give me the chance to unlock Akuma even though I unlocked everyone besides him, Gouken and Seth and beat the arcade mode with at least 2 perfects and 2 ultra finishes.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't get why everyone uses Ken, though.[/QUOTE]

Ryu and Ken have both been really strong characters in every SF game since 2, so people are going with those 2 rather than learning the ins and outs of new or heavily rebalanced characters. But that sure makes for a lame online experience.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't get why everyone uses Ken, though.[/QUOTE]

i use him because im used to him in Third Strike.

its only day 1. Of course everyone is going to use shotos. Its not like it had alot of time in the arcades either and also its not like it was in every arcade too...so i can understand the use of bread and butter characters.i mean if people want to win online...they arent going to show up with C.Viper or Rufus yet because no one had enough time with them. I only met 1 REALLY good Abel player and 1 really good Zangief player. everyone else was mediocre at best. i may only have 3 wins but this time i get to blame the controller. im stuck with the Xbox 360 D-Pad. this thing sucks.

i just dont get the complaint about Shoto characters. does it make you a better player for not using them???It seems like most people in this thread dont want to use Shotos because its the norm or something. Im probably misinterpreting that by GREAT means but hell....ill stick to Ken and Ryu since now im finally learning their distance and links and it gives me the best chance to win and make a good match instead of learning on the fly with Abel or C.Viper and getting my ass handed to me in two quick rounds. ill take the time to learn with them before i bring them out.

Edit: i wonder if these complaints stuck around third strike?

[quote name='integralsmatic']i use him because im used to him in Third Strike.

its only day 1. Of course everyone is going to use shotos. Its not like it had alot of time in the arcades either and also its not like it was in every arcade too...so i can understand the use of bread and butter characters.i mean if people want to win online...they arent going to show up with C.Viper or Rufus yet because no one had enough time with them. I only met 1 REALLY good Abel player and 1 really good Zangief player. everyone else was mediocre at best. i may only have 3 wins but this time i get to blame the controller. im stuck with the Xbox 360 D-Pad. this thing sucks.

i just dont get the complaint about Shoto characters. does it make you a better player for not using them???It seems like most people in this thread dont want to use Shotos because its the norm or something. Im probably misinterpreting that by GREAT means but hell....ill stick to Ken and Ryu since now im finally learning their distance and links and it gives me the best chance to win and make a good match instead of learning on the fly with Abel or C.Viper and getting my ass handed to me in two quick rounds. ill take the time to learn with them before i bring them out.

Edit: i wonder if these complaints stuck around third strike?[/QUOTE]

No, the complaints reserved for SF3 was the fact that it wasn't SF II =D

Integral the complaints are because it's boring fighting the same characters online all the time, especially if you're one of the few who can think outside the box and play with a non-shoto character. But hey, if you love playing against nothing but Ken all the time, that's your business.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']No, the complaints reserved for SF3 was the fact that it wasn't SF II =D[/QUOTE]

Ah Roger that :D

i think im liking Sagat. dude is slow but dam is he poweful. loving tiger knee all over again.

[quote name='TrenoV']I'm assuming its the horrible no specials one? It took me two tries, I main Guile. Just have to really watch yourself and punish when you can. Fei Long is the main one I had issues with. I worked people with crouching jabs a lot and tried to connect with my ultra's, since your damage is upped your ultras do insane amounts of damage.[/quote]

Wait, you can do Ultras in that one?

[quote name='eastx']Integral the complaints are because it's boring fighting the same characters online all the time, especially if you're one of the few who can think outside the box and play with a non-shoto character. But hey, if you love playing against nothing but Ken all the time, that's your business.[/QUOTE]

extremely sorry for the double post here.

You definitley have a point.not saying i would love to play them all the time..but i understand why there is so much of them. but i dont think we will be seeing people who think outside the box for a atleast another week. once the nuances are out of the way than we will see the flood of variety.

im trying to learn Abel right now. Im liking him so far. I like his roll into command throw and i like his three hit special that he has. His crouching fierce also sets up nicely for a super if it hits right.

[quote name='integralsmatic']extremely sorry for the double post here.

You definitley have a point.not saying i would love to play them all the time..but i understand why there is so much of them. but i dont think we will be seeing people who think outside the box for a atleast another week. once the nuances are out of the way than we will see the flood of variety.

im trying to learn Abel right now. Im liking him so far. I like his roll into command throw and i like his three hit special that he has. His crouching fierce also sets up nicely for a super if it hits right.[/QUOTE]

Ha. I'm doing the same thing. A good combo is to use his crouching fierce punch to launch the opponent up into the air and to either combo into his ultra or to do an EX version of his Falling Sky grab.

I'm no Street Fighter pro. The characters I tend to play i don't even know all of their moves by heart. Tonight I spent over and hour and half fighting Seth with Chun Li. I have no idea how to do her ultra or super (the charge thing... I can't figure that out.... some how I was able to feel out her fireball tho). I cursed, I hit stuff, I was angry. I was only playing on medium. lol That ass is freakin' cheap as hell. I loved the game other then that. Hell, I thought some of the other characters leading up to him were even pretty damn tough. So much for getting to bed early.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is experiencing any problems with the online? It doesn't show me anyone's connection speed and the matches start fine and the lag. I also see to be searching for matches a lot because most don't work. Just curious if this is widespread or perhaps AT&T is clampin' my bandwidth or something. Thanks guys.

[quote name='KingBroly']Wait, you can do Ultras in that one?[/quote]

Yea, you can do supers also. Just no specials.

[quote name='RynoZebz']I'm no Street Fighter pro. The characters I tend to play i don't even know all of their moves by heart. Tonight I spent over and hour and half fighting Seth with Chun Li. I have no idea how to do her ultra or super (the charge thing... I can't figure that out.... some how I was able to feel out her fireball tho). I cursed, I hit stuff, I was angry. I was only playing on medium. lol That ass is freakin' cheap as hell. I loved the game other then that. Hell, I thought some of the other characters leading up to him were even pretty damn tough. So much for getting to bed early.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is experiencing any problems with the online? It doesn't show me anyone's connection speed and the matches start fine and the lag. I also see to be searching for matches a lot because most don't work. Just curious if this is widespread or perhaps AT&T is clampin' my bandwidth or something. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

You might want to bump it down to Easy. Even on easy Seth is a son of a bitch.

I usually just create my own match then boot the player if they have a bad connection. I also had an issue with Quick Match and finding a game, it kept telling me I couldn't connect or the game was full so I just make my own lobbies now.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIME TRIAL 14 DOWN! fuck you CAPCOM, fuck you CAPCOM, fuck you CAPCOM, fuck you CAPCOM!!!!!

How long do you charge a move before you do the rest of the combo? I'm having issues trying to do Blankas super and ultra combos. Also I'm not reall sure if I'm reading it correctly. The book shows it as charge back, forward, back then under the one showing back it has another arrow going forward + punch. It is the same for the ultra but it is all 3 punches at the same time. However in game I think it had both directions for charge and that last arrow was not there. So what is the combo for it and for the super what punch to I use?

[quote name='KingBroly']YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIME TRIAL 14 DOWN! fuck you CAPCOM, fuck you CAPCOM, fuck you CAPCOM, fuck you CAPCOM!!!!![/quote]

Haha, congrats. It doesn't exactly get easier. When I saw the conditions for 15 all I said was please dont be Zangief please dont be Zangief.

Oh, I already did all 20 on Normal with Zangief. From 14 it gets easier, actually. Well, except for 20, but that's more of an endurance thing than anything else. But seriously...those 2 Challenges are way too tough.

[quote name='eastx']Yes, surely that is why this is the biggest fighting game release of the decade and just about everyone here is completely crazy about it. Disappointment or bad taste? Hmm...[/quote]

Oh noes, someone with a different opinion; he has bad taste!

On a more serious note, do you get paid to blow Capcom?

[quote name='sendme']How long do you charge a move before you do the rest of the combo? I'm having issues trying to do Blankas super and ultra combos. Also I'm not reall sure if I'm reading it correctly. The book shows it as charge back, forward, back then under the one showing back it has another arrow going forward + punch. It is the same for the ultra but it is all 3 punches at the same time. However in game I think it had both directions for charge and that last arrow was not there. So what is the combo for it and for the super what punch to I use?[/QUOTE]

For the super: Charge back for 2 seconds, then forward - back - forward + Punch. You can use any punch button.

For the Ultra it's the same except you're asked to hit all 3 punch buttons. If you're using a pad, you should have it mapped to the LT by default.

I love the game, but I hate the cheapness of the AI. How many players can actually be that precise 100% of the time? Good AI is supposed to make you better at games, not want you to shun away from it. I just find it funny that a downloadable remake is more accessible to Street Fighter than a full retail release. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

[quote name='KingBroly']I love the game, but I hate the cheapness of the AI. How many players can actually be that precise 100% of the time? Good AI is supposed to make you better at games, not want you to shun away from it. I just find it funny that a downloadable remake is more accessible to Street Fighter than a full retail release. You'd think it'd be the other way around.[/quote]
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

I've beaten Alpha 3 on the 8* difficulty and yet it took me well over 30 tries to beat Seth on "easy:roll:" with Sakura. Did Capcom go to the Itagaki School For Shitty & Cheap Bosses?

Last edited by a moderator:
I no longer fear seth at all.

That tip that was posted a while back has changed everything. See I was always good at getting him to lower life but could never finish it out....now I just let the time kill him off.

Nice.

This game needs some sort of damn player room for multiple people to fight online. Its garbage that I have like 4 people on my friends list on that want to play but we can't do anything while someone is playing 1 on 1.

[quote name='mike.m']This game needs some sort of damn player room for multiple people to fight online. Its garbage that I have like 4 people on my friends list on that want to play but we can't do anything while someone is playing 1 on 1.[/quote]

They're scheduling free downloadble content to update the game's online modes, so the lobby system could easily be one of them.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I no longer fear seth at all.

That tip that was posted a while back has changed everything. See I was always good at getting him to lower life but could never finish it out....now I just let the time kill him off.

Nice.[/QUOTE]

What tip is that?

Seriously...did Akuma really just say, "prepare to meet your maker?"

Damn, the story mode....voice overs...the clips....all of this is trash for such a high profile game. Apparently capcom still thinks its 1995.

Dont get me wrong I am really enjoying myself with the game...I just cant believe the lackluster effort with everything other than the fighting when SF has more history and story than 3 J.R. Tolkien books.

[quote name='munch']What tip is that?[/quote]

It was posted a little while back in this thread.

But basically you set the Rounds to 1 and set the Round timer to 30 seconds.

This way all you have to do is make sure Seth has less life than you at the end of 30. The round goes by so quick that he barely has time to charge up any real EX moves and such. And since he basically does the same set of moves at the start of every match you can get 2 quick drop kicks and 2 leg sweeps in then block and dodge your way to a Time Up victory. The only thing you have to watch out for is if he grabs you with one of those 8 seconds powerbombs. On one hand they are great because I have won more than a couple times while in the middle of that move as time runs out..on the other if he does that at the beginning of the round you better bust your hump to attack him because that eats up half the round time.

I have done this to unlock all the hidden people and beat the game on Hardest without continuing to unlock 4 sets of cheese.

Easy as pie now. I just have to unlock Gouken now.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I no longer fear seth at all.

Nice.[/QUOTE]

That's great! Now take back what you said about me trolling.

[quote name='Soodmeg']It was posted a little while back in this thread.

But basically you set the Rounds to 1 and set the Round timer to 30 seconds.

This way all you have to do is make sure Seth has less life than you at the end of 30. The round goes by so quick that he barely has time to charge up any real EX moves and such. And since he basically does the same set of moves at the start of every match you can get 2 quick drop kicks and 2 leg sweeps in then block and dodge your way to a Time Up victory. The only thing you have to watch out for is if he grabs you with one of those 8 seconds powerbombs. On one hand they are great because I have won more than a couple times while in the middle of that move as time runs out..on the other if he does that at the beginning of the round you better bust your hump to attack him because that eats up half the round time.

I have done this to unlock all the hidden people and beat the game on Hardest without continuing to unlock 4 sets of cheese.

Easy as pie now. I just have to unlock Gouken now.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to do that. I'm not into being frustrated, and from the sound of this thread Seth is one big douche.

I used to use shotos a lot.. but then after Remix came out I realized I was a shitty shoto player on the 360 controller. I'm just glad Blanka is strong in SFIV. :D

[quote name='eastx']That's great! Now take back what you said about me trolling.[/quote]

Eastx is not a troll.

I am Soodmeg and I approve this message.

darn...i can't beat easiest difficulty in arcade mode T_T but i lernd how to do this flashy shooting move for Ryu :cold: but still not helping :)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back