Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Isn't that how most Disney princesses are? Free spirits trying to do what they want? She seemed like a character that's been used over and over to me.

It was a very by the numbers predictable Disney movie to me. I liked it, but it wasn't anything new or different.

Watched Drive on Netflix the other night and liked it a lot. I was really surprised that in all the stuff I read about it no one mentioned
how graphic the violence was. I mean, I know it wasn't a gore fest, but I definitely did not see it coming when the camera did a close up of the chick getting shot in the head with the shotgun

[quote name='blindinglights']Watched Drive on Netflix the other night and liked it a lot. I was really surprised that in all the stuff I read about it no one mentioned
how graphic the violence was. I mean, I know it wasn't a gore fest, but I definitely did not see it coming when the camera did a close up of the chick getting shot in the head with the shotgun
.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I always thought the same thing. Not so much the scene you're talking about, but the
elevator scene was actually both comical (not in a good way) and confusing.
It just jarred the pacing of the movie for me and I almost couldn't get interested again after that. That whole scene should have been left out.

[quote name='whoknows']Isn't that how most Disney princesses are? Free spirits trying to do what they want?[/QUOTE]

Not really. From what I remember they were mostly passive.

I mean, the height of Cinderella's rebellion is that she sneaks out to a party incognito and forgets a shoe.

Insomnia - Been putting this off for far too long and really liked it. It was cool to see Robin Williams in a more serious role and Al Pacino was great, of course.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was good. Nothing erath shaking, but I had fun watching it. The only that really surprised me was that, from the previews, it looked like it only dealt with him as a younger man, but that isn't the case at all. They just don't really show the older, more familiar Lincoln in the previews much.

I wanna see AL vamp hunter.

[quote name='nasum']Drive - Needs more Christina Hendricks and driving with less everything else.[/QUOTE]

It was one (if not the only one) of the reasons I wanted to see it,
Only to find out she has a very small part and it consist of her head being blown off... great.

[quote name='Wolfkin']21 Jump Street.. it worked. It wasn't the greatest comedy ever but in terms of old TV shows being remade for the big screen... I assume it's worse than Miami Vice but if we look at just the remakes that are comedic movies it might actually be the best of them.[/QUOTE]
21 Jump Street was 10x better than it had any right being. It was astoundingly laugh out loud funny. Maybe my favorite comedy of 2012.

But then you talk to people who absoutely hated it, so I don't know.

finally finished hana and wtf. i havent been this annoyed by an ending since journey ( the game). fucking hell i hate shit like that. aside from that cool movie up until the end. loved the soundtrack. seems like the movie needed more of something.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']21 Jump Street was 10x better than it had any right being. It was astoundingly laugh out loud funny. Maybe my favorite comedy of 2012.

But then you talk to people who absoutely hated it, so I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed it as well.

I think it was better than expected because they took the premise, but did something different instead of trying to make it just like the show.

[quote name='lokizz']finally finished hana and wtf. i havent been this annoyed by an ending since journey ( the game). fucking hell i hate shit like that. aside from that cool movie up until the end. loved the soundtrack. seems like the movie needed more of something.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with the end?

[quote name='lokizz']finally finished hana and wtf. i havent been this annoyed by an ending since journey ( the game). fucking hell i hate shit like that. aside from that cool movie up until the end. loved the soundtrack. seems like the movie needed more of something.[/QUOTE]

hana's ending portions were impressively stupid, i agree. such a baller premise and soundtrack, though.

[quote name='DestroVega']What's wrong with the end?[/QUOTE]

with hana i was kinda hoping for a chance to see her really cut loose and show off everything she was capable of. they talk so much about
her being tweaked in the womb so i wanted to see exactly what she could do that others couldnt. and i wanted to clarity on everything done to her and who all knew about it. also if bruce banner wasnt her dad then
who was. the movie was still good just felt the ending was kinda flat.

but if you meant journey for 15 bucks i expected more from the game even if youre a completionist theres not much to motivate you to go back.and the trophies you only get by pairing up with people are annoying. i feel like the developers flipped me off for buying into their art pretension the game was gorgeous but lacked depth for me. and it wouldnt have killed them to add 3 or 4 more damn levels.

That had some of the most coolest fight scenes I've ever seen. Eric Bana was badass in that.

[quote name='whoknows']I think it was better than expected because they took the premise, but did something different instead of trying to make it just like the show.[/QUOTE]I think it was better than expected IN SPITE OF that. Other 80s shows have gotten the "Now it's a comedy" remake. Part of the reason I wasn't looking forward to 21 Jump Street was precisely because I felt like I'd seen attempts at reviving straightforward 80s franchises as comedy movies before.

Strange thing is I can't really remember any specifically and it's bloody hard to find a list but movies like: Bewitched, Brady Bunch, Dukes of Hazzard were all based on shows, comedies in movie form and in the end not all that great. Who knows maybe I'm remembering wrong and there really aren't that many movies like 21 Jump Street.

Bewitched was just a horrible attempt, Dukes tried to play it straight and it just straight sucked, I think Brady Bunch is brilliant. It completely captures the essence of the source material while totally skewering it in the process.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jump Street.

I think I watched the Brady Bunch 90s movie the other month on TV. That was the one with Tim Matheson playing the con-artist pretending to be Mrs. Brady's previous husband right? It was a pretty fun film, though a bit bizarre at times.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. I really liked it a lot. Steve Carell plays the same character as Dan in Real Life, Crazy Stupid Love, and Little Miss Sunshine, but I do like that character so no complaints there. Keira Knightly was quirky with out being too annoying. The love story was believable and the premise was cool. I really loved it, not sure why the critics were so hard on it.

Chernobyl Diaries - I enjoyed it, but since I've seen the trailer I knew what to expect.

It's one of those movies where I don't understand when people say they hate it, can't believe they saw it, etc since the trailer shows exactly what the movie is.

Complainers gonna complain though.

Moneyball - I really enjoyed this but I'm a baseball stat geek so I expected to

Bridesmaids - Some really funny scenes (all involving Melissa McCarthy who was outstanding) and pretty enjoyable but this was overrated and 20-25 minutes too long, IMO.

EDIT:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - just finished it. Really good - probably the best one in the series. Those damn dirty apes looked pretty damn real.
Not sure I liked the ending though - I mean, there's no way you go from that to the Charlton Heston movie without some other serious shit going down. They also never resolved what happened with the virus spreading to humans although I guess you can infer that it is contagious and will wipe out humanity. Maybe they are leaving this stuff for a sequel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Water - great start, very good middle, bad ending in the sense that while it was good from a story perspective it was horrible directing and execution. Still worth watching.
- from the author of The Ring
3.5/5
Jennifer Conolly was great, child actor was very good. John Reilly great.

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame - 3/5 - There is an interesting mystery tale here, but it is severely bogged down by the overuse of wire-fu.

[quote name='Javery']
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - just finished it. Really good - probably the best one in the series. Those damn dirty apes looked pretty damn real.
Not sure I liked the ending though - I mean, there's no way you go from that to the Charlton Heston movie without some other serious shit going down. They also never resolved what happened with the virus spreading to humans although I guess you can infer that it is contagious and will wipe out humanity. Maybe they are leaving this stuff for a sequel?
[/QUOTE]

I think that's what we're supposed to infer.
That *most* humans die and the rest are kept as pets basically. Heston's ship was subtly referenced throughout the movie, the radio broadcast or whatever about the space shuttle launch. Where he basically goes into space, bad shit happens, and he lands right back on Earth. But I would guess the Tim Burton movie would be considered the "true sequel" to Rise. Because in the original it seems like centuries have passed, while in the Burton movie only years (maybe a decade, tops) have passed. Heston would have been in space longer than his own lifespan. Plus, I like to think the ending of the Burton movie was directly referencing the chimp from Rise.

Watched 21 Jump Street and was thoroughly impressed. Truly, one of the best "re-imaginings" that Hollywood has brought out in recent years. I absolutely loved the self-referential humor of it (which was so great that it almost felt like the writers of Arrested Development wrote it...) and it has one of the single greatest cameos since Bill fuckin' Murray in Zombieland.

[quote name='Javery']Rise of the Planet of the Apes - just finished it. Really good - probably the best one in the series. Those damn dirty apes looked pretty damn real. Not sure I liked the ending though - I mean, there's no way you go from that to the Charlton Heston movie ][/QUOTE]
I'm sorry I haven't seen it in forever so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this linked to the Wahlberg film? I assumed any reference to the Heston film was purely for homage purposes.

Today I went and saw Ted and before you guys flame me I have to tell you something: there's actually a decent story and it was way better then it had any right being. There are some moments in that movie that you won't believe but you'll be even more surprised at the somewhat positive narrative of the whole movie.

On a personal note, I sat near a bunch of kids with their mom who were no older then 10. I know it's r-rated but please dont bring your kid to this.

Anyways go see Ted or rent it on Netflix/redbox when it comes out. You will be surprised.

[quote name='bardockkun']Unearth: The Strings of Conscience
Lamb of God: Sacrement
Lamb of God: Resolution[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread haha. I didn't like Resolution much.

[quote name='rvdrock']Today I went and saw Ted and before you guys flame me I have to tell you something: there's actually a decent story and it was way better then it had any right being. There are some moments in that movie that you won't believe but you'll be even more surprised at the somewhat positive narrative of the whole movie.

On a personal note, I sat near a bunch of kids with their mom who were no older then 10. I know it's r-rated but please dont bring your kid to this.

Anyways go see Ted or rent it on Netflix/redbox when it comes out. You will be surprised.[/QUOTE]
My one question is are you a fan of his other works (Family Guy, American Dad, etc).
Personally I was always willing to believe that this was going to be at minimum a decent movie. then again I still watch and enjoy Family Guy.

P.S. I remembered the "now it's a comedy movie" TV remake I couldn't remember. Starsky and Hutch. Classic example of a TV show that was done seriously, now as a movie it's a comedy and the result was meh.

Red Tails - I was expecting to be bored out of my mind and potential horrendous acting. Well, the acting wasn't anything to brag about, but the movie still kept me entertained throughout. Not the greatest movie, but it was still a fun flick.

[quote name='tcrash247']Wrong thread haha. I didn't like Resolution much.[/QUOTE]
Ah snap! You nailed me and now I'll move it to the right spot. Leave that reply as a dumb mistake of my idiocy.

In anycase since I'm here I went and saw Brave and loved it. Not my Pixar favorite (Up), but I enjoyed it alot. At home been watching Pineapple Express on blu, forgot how good that Rogen, Franco and McBride fight is.

What was the name of the foreign indie movie that featured extremely close quarter action in a apartment building. Like 13 floors or something. I thought it was the assault but it wasn't.

ted doesnt seem like itll be all that bad just wish marky mark wasnt in it. paul rudd or that arrested development guy would have been better.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What was the name of the foreign indie movie that featured extremely close quarter action in a apartment building. Like 13 floors or something. I thought it was the assault but it wasn't.[/QUOTE]B13?
French Title: District 13

[quote name='Soodmeg']What was the name of the foreign indie movie that featured extremely close quarter action in a apartment building. Like 13 floors or something. I thought it was the assault but it wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Raid: The Redemption?

[quote name='lokizz']ted doesnt seem like itll be all that bad just wish marky mark wasnt in it. paul rudd or that arrested development guy would have been better.[/QUOTE]
I've always thought Mark Wahlberg was surprisingly decent. As in I figure I'll not like him in something all the time but then once I actually watch it I do. I haven't seen Ted yet but it seems like he'd be a good fit for the role.

If it were Paul Rudd or the Jason Bateman I'd just skip Ted. Watching those two do the same damn comedy roles over and over is fucking boring.

bread's done
Back