Target Clearance Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Previous threads:

Target clearance is YMMV, ya dig! Games may not even be on clearance at your store, or they may be higher or lower than what is on this list.

This thread is for clearance-- not for sale items. Price reductions for clearance seem to happen on Monday, although not every Monday, but could also occur any day of the week depending on your store's price change team. Price adjustments on clearance are typically not allowed, but some have succeeded or have been able to do as return and rebuy.

Target often donates its older clearance titles to Goodwill stores, so keep that in mind when you're trying to find items. BigDirty: "Further reduction is possible when a game's price ends with 8 cents. However, when it ends in 4 cents it will NOT drop anymore. If it ends in 9 cents, it's just on sale or on a non-clearance reduction." Also, note that, typically, games will drop three times-- from 30%, 50%, then to the final drop of 75% off of the original price. Some people, however, have seen further drops up to 85%.

When games are marked down, the price change team typically find the game and scan it with their PDA/LRT to intiate the price change. However, in the case that they cannot find the game, they will either choose to not drop the price further or process the price change anyway, figuring that the game is somewhere in the store.

When posting deals, please include game, system, price, city and state. For example:
Debbie Does Skywalker, Xbox 360, $4.98
Mesa, AZ Power Road at Superstition Springs

Also, a great help when you're posting deals you've found is to check this post and see if your item's DPCI number is already listed. DPCI stands for Department, Class, Item-- it's Target's version of a SKU. These are a nine digit number that can always be found on your receipt and also on the red clearance tags on the item itself. DPCI numbers are handy to have when you want to check the item's price-- just go over to your scanner and punch in the numbers, if your scanners have keypads. Also, you can give these numbers to team members so they can check the availability of the item easily with their PDA scanners. Please post any DPCI numbers that are not already in the OP-- thanks! This is especially important since some of the DPCI numbers on Target.com start with 241, meaning they cannot be used in-store, and also meaning that I can't get all of the numbers from Target.com.

Here is a fairly easy way to check your local Target's pricing-- often price tags will not be correct. Thanks to BigDirty for this:
1) Go to Half.com or a similar site. Search for the game to locate its UPC code number. It's in the gray box underneath the box art graphic.
2) Go to UPC Data ,Milk.com , or UPC Database and enter the code so you can print out the UPC. Go to Target and use the price scanners to scan your printouts.

Thanks to Mephitical for this tool for locating clearance titles, which is located here. Go to Amazon or Target to find the item's ASIN. When you find it, replace "B000O3IS48" in the URL with your item's ASIN. This will take you to a page asking you for your zip code. Type in your zip code and click enter-- this will display a list of local stores and whether or not they have your item in stock. YMMV on it working properly.

The lowest known price will be posted. The item could be higher or lower at your store. Numbers in gold are DPCI numbers, which can be used to check the prices of items on newer scanners.

:wii: Wii

De Blob (added 06-15-10) (changed 07-20-10)

Madagascar Kartz with wheel (added 06-20-10) (changed 07-20-10)
Madden 2010 (added 09-05-10)
Mario Power Tennis (changed 07-20-10) (changed 08-05-20)
Tiger Woods 10 (added 09-05-10)

Saint (added 09-20-10)
[207-26-0362] Punch Out (added 06-15-10)

Red Steel 2 (added 09-20-10)

[207-26-0432] Metroid Prime Trilogy (changed 07-15-10)
[207-26-0052] Super Paper Mario (changed 07-15-10)

Fifa 10 (added 07-04-10)
Guitar Hero Van Halen (added 06-20-10)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (added 07-05-10)

:360: Xbox 360

Alone in the Dark (added 06-15-10)
Bioshock (added 06-15-20)
Brutal Legend (changed 07-05-10)
Burnout Paradise (added 06-15-10)
Dead Rising (added 06-25-10)
Left 4 Dead (updated 06-10-10)
Need for Speed Pro Street (changed 07-02-10)
Pro Evolution Soccer (added 09-20-10)
The Saboteur (added 06-30-20)
Saints Row (added 05-05-10)
Ski Doo (added 06-10-10)
Street Fighter IV (added 09-15-10)
Two Worlds (added 06-15-10)
You're in the Movies bundle (added 06-20-10) (changed 08-01-10)

Cabela's 2010 (added 06-15-10)
Oblivion Game of the Year (added 06-15-10)

Are you Smarter than a 5th grader? (added 07-20-10)
Beatles Rock Band [game only] (added 04-12-10) (price updated: 05-12-10)
Call of Juraez (added 09-20-10)
Dead Rising (added 09-20-10)
IL-2 Sturmovik (changed 06-20-10)
Karaoke Revolution (added 08-01-10)
Orange Box (added 09-30-10)
Spongebob: Truth or Square (changed 07-02-10)
Tekken 6 (changed 07-20-10) (added 08-01-10)

Guitar Hero 5 (changed 07-02-10)

Alone in the Dark (added 06-20-10)
Assassin's Creed (added 06-05-10)
Burnout Paradise (added 09-20-10)
Call of Duty 3 (added 06-05-10)
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (added 06-05-10)
Dark Void (added 08-01-10)
Fairytale Fights (added 08-10-10)
Halo Wars (added 06-20-10)
Gears of War (added 06-20-10)
Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (added 06-08-10)
Spiderman 3 (added 06-06-10)
Star Wars Force Unleashed (added 06-10-10)
Two Worlds (added 07-03-10)

Midnight Club LA Complete Edition (added 06-15-10)

Bioshock 2 Collector's Edition (added 08-10-10)
Planet 51 (added 06-22-10)

[207-22-0458] Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition (added 07-03-10)

:ps3: Playstation 3

2 pack of USB charging cables for PS3 (added 06-10-10)
Brutal Legend (added 06-20-10) (changed 07-20-10)
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (added 07-20-10)
Red Faction: Guerilla (Updated: 06-10-10)

Dark Void (added 07-20-10)
Ghostbusters (added 09-20-10)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (added 06-20-10) (changed 07-20-10)

Alpha Protocol (added 09-30-10)
Lego Rockband (added 09-20-10)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (added 09-20-10)

Assassin's Creed (added 09-20-10)
Need for Speed Underground (added 09-20-10)
Star Wars Unleashed (added 09-20-10)

Infamous (added 09-20-10)

Beatles Rock Band (added 09-20-10)
Borderlands (added 09-20-10)
Guitar Hero Van Halen (added 09-20-10)
MLB: The Show 10 (added 08-01-10)
Prototype (added 09-20-10)
Resistance 2 (added 06-20-10)
Street Fighter IV (added 09-20-10)
Tekken 6 (added 09-20-10)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (added 06-20-10)
UFC 2009 (added 09-20-10)

Resident Evil 5 Gold (added 09-20-10)
MLB 2010 (added 06-20-10)

Little Big Planet with Dual Shock 3 controller (added 06-20-10)

Green Day Rock Band (added 09-20-10)

Buzz Quiz World Bundle (added 09-20-10)

:ps2: Playstation 2

Brutal Legend (added 06-10-10)
MLB 10 (added 06-06-10)

:ds: Nintendo DS

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness (added 07-20-10) (changed 08-01-10)

100 classic books (added 08-01-10)

:psp: Sony PSP

Lego Indiana Jones 2 (added 09-20-10)
NBA Inside (added 06-10-10)

G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra (added 06-06-10)

:pc: PC

Borderlands (added 09-10-10)

Fallout Trilogy (added 06-20-10)

Braid (added 07-20-10)

Metro 2033 (added 09-20-10)
GTA: Episodes from Liberty City (added 06-20-10)

Alpha Protocol (added 09-20-10)

Other items

[SIZE=+1]Keep extraneous discussion to a minimum as posts not pertaining to clearance deals may be deleted by the mod crew. Please go to the Target clearance trade thread for trade requests.[/SIZE]

The Legend of EL HOARDO as told by Strell
No cankle too big and no score too small,
The one and only EL HOARDO.

He'll steal your stash - gonna take it all,
That's the one - EL HOARDO.

He's gonna run down all the aisles
and snatch up all the loot,
And he's feeling really confident
in his nipple protection suit!

Awesome sideburns and a dapper mask
He's at your local store,
Gonna clean out everything
And then go back for more!

Who's the guy in the Star Trek shades?
He's the man they call EL HOARDO.

His boots are secretly roller blades,
There he goes! EL HOARDO!

He's got a cape and it's totally sweet,
A flash in red and white,
Calls his fanny pack his utility belt,
He's ready for a discount fight!

You'd never think he could run so fast,
With a gut of giant size,
Asks all the ladies if they'd like a ride
On his Starship Enterprise!

What's that sound comin' down the lane?
It can only be EL HOARDO.

His stubby legs are gonna bring the pain,
Brace yourselves - EL HOARDO!

He packs a sword, it's a replica,
Like Zorro in disguise,
Gonna leave an H scratched on the wall,
Then he'll move those ten ton thighs!

Knows all the price drops all the time,
Has inhalers to survive,
Lives in a basement at his parents house,
At the age of thirty five!

That's the one who got your penny guide,
The stallion called EL HOARDO.

He's got his Rascal parked outside,
That Man-of-Men EL HOARDO.

EL HOOOOOOOARDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ElHoardo1.jpg

"You just got...EL HOARDO'D!" __________________

There have been some confirmed reports of La Whoreda, the female counterpart to El Hoardo. She is obviously more rare in the Target environment since she usually focuses her energy to her Avon business, but caution should still be exercised.

*Please do not copy this list to Slickdeals or any other competing deal sites. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lolwut?']So I got this last weekend and I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it. I know ION makes the Drum Rocker for Rock Band, but I also know that it's possible to use other e-drum sets in Rock Band if you have the right equipment. A quick cellphone search said I could use this one for that, though when I actually viewed the website that said so at home, it was for a different model.

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about these, if they are worth keeping, and if there is indeed some way to get them to work in Rock Band (on 360). They are the ION Sound Session Drums (IED11), and I got them for $49.98. I haven't opened them yet because I'm going to re-buy them with a $40 giftcard; anyone know if it rings up at a lower price when I do, if they will give me it? I assume it's YMMV, but I figured I'd ask

[/QUOTE]

Not worth holding on to for Rock Band. Try to unload them on eBay for $100+. The pads and cymbals are low end. They are downgrade from the ones included with the ION Drum Rocker, and the rack isn't great either.

Grabbed the :pc: Bioshock 2 SE for $19.98 this morning. The slip cover is beaten to shit, but the box and the stuff inside it seems ok, which is what matters.

Well this thread is all over the place. On the subject of IATCG, I swear he said he drives for a living, like auctions.

Sort of on Topic. Isn't the bi-annual Toy clearance for target in july?

[quote name='arcane93']Grabbed the :pc: Bioshock 2 SE for $19.98 this morning. The slip cover is beaten to shit, but the box and the stuff inside it seems ok, which is what matters.[/QUOTE]

Might I ask where in VA you found this?

Last night, bought 'Red Faction Guerilla' (PS3) for $13 (+tax (Chicago)). This is the first time that I found something on clearance in Target. And this game was on my to buy list. :D

If anyone sees a super cheap Bioshock 2 LE - like $20 - let me know. I'd love to have the goodies. Not that interested in the game itself. Which is to say, maybe we could work out a deal.

I checked out two targets in my area and both had completed remodels (frisco, TX). All the clearance stuff was gone. I was bummed.

I think I found the last Orange County (CA) Target that's free from the plastic prison electronics remodel. Mission Viejo, off Jeronimo and Los Alisos. Several games on clearance (mostly PSP, PS2, and a couple DS).
Off the top of my head, for PSP:
Lego SW 2, Ben 10 Alien Force, Wall E, GTA Vice City, SW Battlefront Rogue, MX v ATV for under 10 bucks. Not great, but Target clearance is slim pickins lately. I picked up a car charger for my PSP for $2.11, and a Lucky Charms t shirt for like $3.58. Rang up as a seasonal "St Patricks Item". Man, f that. This shirt rules 365 days of the year. Goddamned kids, always after me lucky charms.

Call me an idiot, but what are you guys referring to about plastic prisons? Are you talking about the set where they are all behind a "glass case" thing and each one has a demo empty case in a case spring-attached so you can look at the case?

If that's what you're talking about, only 1 of 6 targets in my area has that. The rest are regular game cases with one big door.

[quote name='Trace17']Call me an idiot, but what are you guys referring to about plastic prisons? Are you talking about the set where they are all behind a "glass case" thing and each one has a demo empty case in a case spring-attached so you can look at the case?

If that's what you're talking about, only 1 of 6 targets in my area has that. The rest are regular game cases with one big door.[/QUOTE]
Actually, those 'demo cases' are live copies of each game and not empty cases in those plastic security cases on the bungee/retractable cords.

[quote name='Trace17']Call me an idiot, but what are you guys referring to about plastic prisons? Are you talking about the set where they are all behind a "glass case" thing and each one has a demo empty case in a case spring-attached so you can look at the case?

If that's what you're talking about, only 1 of 6 targets in my area has that. The rest are regular game cases with one big door.[/QUOTE]

Those are the "plastic prisons" that everyone is mentioning. All of the Targets in my area have switched over. There are a few (that are farther away) that I haven't checked but that's just because it isn't worth the drive right now. The Target I checked today only had LSW II for PS2 and PC on clearance.

The plastic prisons of deal-lessness. Target's crazy way of driving off the gaming business they did have...

Well, at least mine. ;) Now they're going to have to actually give good deals that aren't clearance-related and... well, good luck. Kmart seems to have them beat there.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, those 'demo cases' are live copies of each game and not empty cases in those plastic security cases on the bungee/retractable cords.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I did not know that. That explains why those are in cases too.

[quote name='emg28']Those are the "plastic prisons" that everyone is mentioning. All of the Targets in my area have switched over. There are a few (that are farther away) that I haven't checked but that's just because it isn't worth the drive right now. The Target I checked today only had LSW II for PS2 and PC on clearance.[/QUOTE]

Alright, that's what I kinda figured. The only store I've seen them at is a new one that was just built about 4-6 months ago, and it was built that way. Don't know what the other stores haven't converted yet, not that I want them to.

So, I talked to my friend who works at Target, who I hadn't heard from in 2 weeks, and she told me that when the Target she worked at switched over to the plastic prisons, they had FOUR skids of electronics/ video game clearance. I had happened to go there that same day, and there was nothing worth mentioning in clearance whatsoever. She told me their inventory was later that week and everything went out. So, either all the employees bought everything, (her theory) or El Hoardo went to town (my theory). Or, perhaps, El Hoardo has infiltrated Target????

[quote name='2nahelper'] ...or El Hoardo went to town (my theory). Or, perhaps, El Hoardo has infiltrated Target????[/QUOTE]

Read the post above yours! ^

:lol:

Only thing worth mentioning @ Target around here is a few copies of FF Dissidia for $14.98.

I'm waiting for another price drop to pick up a copy. I don't own a PSP, but for a decent price on that, I can't complain.

While on the subject of FF...Final Fantasy for PSP...is that just the first game w/ enhanced graphics, or does it include 2 also a la Dawn of Souls for GBA?

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']
While on the subject of FF...Final Fantasy for PSP...is that just the first game w/ enhanced graphics, or does it include 2 also a la Dawn of Souls for GBA?[/QUOTE]

It's the first one with enhanced graphics. They released the second one separately for PSP but I haven't seen it in stores in a while.

[quote name='kburns10']My target in Phoenix, AZ had Left 4 Dead: GOTY Edition for $9.98. I was pissed I paid $20 for it recently at Gamestop![/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the 360 version?

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']
I don't own a PSP, but for a decent price on that, I can't complain.

[/QUOTE]

At first I read that and was like WTF...then I remembered how many deals I saw on games (didnt buy them though) and then a few months later I got the system and wished I had done what you do.

Good job thinking ahead....damn my short sightedness.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']The plastic prisons of deal-lessness. Target's crazy way of driving off the gaming business they did have...

Well, at least mine. ;) Now they're going to have to actually give good deals that aren't clearance-related and... well, good luck. Kmart seems to have them beat there.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Target will miss you terribly. :roll: You do know that they're not actually making any money (in fact, they're losing money) when they sell you a game at 75% off, right? So I don't think they're too worried about your "business" -- if you were their target market, they'd have stopped selling games a long time ago.

That being said, I think the clearance will be back. Regardless of how much room they have in the cases, they're not going to want to sit on a back stock of titles that aren't selling anymore. The whole reason that they clearance items out is because the overhead costs (the money tied up in the inventory itself, the shelf space the item takes up, as well as property taxes and such) outweigh the losses that they take. With more space available it may take a bit longer for that to happen, but it will still have to happen eventually.

with the new redesign at my local targets, the clearance areas have been completely removed from MOST of the store. I will wait patiently for them to come back, as like arcane said, they will take longer to get there, but the backlog of inventory will eventually force the issue

I just don't get the point of the plastic prisons. It takes MUCH LONGER to scan the games to see what they even have.

Of course it's a business, so it's about what works for them, not what works for customers.

At my Target, clearance moved into the plastic prison with the redesign. In the last few weeks, however, clearance has been moved back to the end caps. Not a single clearance item is available in the PPs.

What I DO like about the new electronics layout, is the new demo units of each gaming system that are BRAND NEW & not coated in crud & cooties or broken (yet). :lol:

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']I just don't get the point of the plastic prisons. It takes MUCH LONGER to scan the games to see what they even have.

Of course it's a business, so it's about what works for them, not what works for customers.[/QUOTE]

Really? I have them at both of my closest stores, and I don't mind the extra few seconds of walking that it takes to scan the games department, especially since I can now look at the backs (for whatever that's worth) without making some guy open the case for me. What about it, exactly, causes you to take "MUCH LONGER" to look at games displayed in this way?

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']Only thing worth mentioning @ Target around here is a few copies of FF Dissidia for $14.98.

I'm waiting for another price drop to pick up a copy. I don't own a PSP, but for a decent price on that, I can't complain.

While on the subject of FF...Final Fantasy for PSP...is that just the first game w/ enhanced graphics, or does it include 2 also a la Dawn of Souls for GBA?[/QUOTE]
I've seen one copy of that at my local Target's clearance rack (or lack thereof) for I think $20 (it might be $15, but I think the sticker said $20) the last few times I've been there. I might end up picking it up despite the fact that I lack a PSP at the moment just to have it to play if/when I get a PSP.

I've also seen Gears of War, Sonic the Hedgehog, one of the Rock Band expansions and Lego Batman on the 360 for I think $20 each. There might've been other games, but those are the only ones that stick out in my head.

On the Wii, the only thing I really considered getting is Cooking Mama: Cook Off for $15. Everything else was pretty much shovelware that I probably wouldn't get even if it were free.

The only thing I really noticed on the PS2 were a couple of the Guitar/Band Hero games, but I don't have any instruments for my PS2. There might've been other stuff, but I wasn't really looking at the PS2 games.

I didn't look at the PS3 much since I don't have a PS3 (I would like to get one someday, but I'm trying to watch the funds).

[quote name='Trastan']Really? I have them at both of my closest stores, and I don't mind the extra few seconds of walking that it takes to scan the games department, especially since I can now look at the backs (for whatever that's worth) without making some guy open the case for me. What about it, exactly, causes you to take "MUCH LONGER" to look at games displayed in this way?[/QUOTE]

Well if I have time to, I don't mind looking around. It's just in those moments when I'm on a trip to grab some items & I don't have much time to look around.

I don't get it. Were the games in the case ever in some kind of specific organization? So instead of scanning a case where everything was compacted in several shelves over what, two doors?/half of a side of an aisle, you have scan a handful of rows up one aisle and down half of the opposite side? I mean REALLY? And if you're in such a rush I'd recommend NOT shopping at Target because case or plastic prison, you still have to hunt down an electronics employee to open the case or plastic prison for you.

To be honest I haven't taken a hard look at the plastic prisons, but they're loosely arranged by a few genres? I'd assume the popular games are placed at the top or at a good eye level - as that is the most common way to display your popular items - so is it really that hard to scan and guess where "Super Mario Galaxy 2" might be displayed? If you're going for anything more obscure or shovelware - either way you were gonna have to scan the rows or the unorganized end caps under the old system.

It just seems like all this whining is for nothing.

Besides, this is cheapassgamer - how often are you people rushing into Target to buy games at MSRP out of the case or the prison? And if something is on sale in the weekly ad or on price cut it'll have the flag sticking off the shelf to notify you, giving you a visual indicator of location.

This thread has devolved into whining for whining's sake with the whole case vs. plastic prison.

However it is true the increased floor space has led to less or no clearance - in fact my Target moved the entire electronics clearance end cap and its full of jack shit except some iphone crap, literally hundreds of Prince CD's at $5 each, and I found two copies of Lego Star Wars II for PC for $10 each.

Eventually games will have to get displaced from the plastic prisons and clearance will be back.

[quote name='kodave']
This thread has devolved into whining for whining's sake with the whole case vs. plastic prison.[/QUOTE]

I don't really think that the whining is actually about the plastic prisons but more about the lack of clearance for such a long time (six months in my instance). We can't really blame hoarders, the competion, SD/FW or Soccer Moms so we place the blame on the only thing that has changed in the past 6 months... the new layout.

If not for the OT bickering/whining, this thread would be filled with post after post of finding Lego Star Wars II for the pc clearanced at 50% off. We're just passing the time until (hopefully) Target's video game clearance gets back to normal. Once clearance goes back to normal you'll see less "whining" about the plastic prisons.

Check the BBV thread and you will see the same thing happen when BBV isn't having a sale or there isn't a decent flip related to BBV.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm sure Target will miss you terribly. :roll: You do know that they're not actually making any money (in fact, they're losing money) when they sell you a game at 75% off, right? So I don't think they're too worried about your "business" -- if you were their target market, they'd have stopped selling games a long time ago.

That being said, I think the clearance will be back. Regardless of how much room they have in the cases, they're not going to want to sit on a back stock of titles that aren't selling anymore. The whole reason that they clearance items out is because the overhead costs (the money tied up in the inventory itself, the shelf space the item takes up, as well as property taxes and such) outweigh the losses that they take. With more space available it may take a bit longer for that to happen, but it will still have to happen eventually.[/QUOTE]

You say this as though I don't know it. I'm pretty sure I was clear earlier that they'd have to find business not mine. However, product that doesn't sell doesn't make ANY money.

So which is worth more? 75% off or no sale at all? Besides, around here, we rarely got below 50%, oftentimes never going below 30%. In the first part of your argument, you assume that the act of keeping the item will wind up in a sale at MSRP for said item (where they'd make money). I suspect a great many of the items that were on clearance would not have sold. However, a paragraph later I'm agreeing with you that they aren't going to want to sit on stock for ages and ages before knocking the price down. Which again leads to my original point that they're going to take the clearance profit (that's lower than the profit if they'd sold it at regular price) rather than none at all.

So in your own way, you ARE saying they'd miss my business if I stopped shopping their clearance. Because you admit they'll eventually return to it and they don't want to sit on dusty stock that isn't moving, so they need me to come help them clean their shelves of clearance titles. Which is what I was saying all along. ;)

[quote name='kodave']I don't get it. Were the games in the case ever in some kind of specific organization? So instead of scanning a case where everything was compacted in several shelves over what, two doors?/half of a side of an aisle, you have scan a handful of rows up one aisle and down half of the opposite side? I mean REALLY? And if you're in such a rush I'd recommend NOT shopping at Target because case or plastic prison, you still have to hunt down an electronics employee to open the case or plastic prison for you.

[/quote]

Eh, it was a lot quicker to scan the other way than it is the new way, but that part of it is not worth mentioning for me.

[quote name='kodave']
It just seems like all this whining is for nothing.

Besides, this is cheapassgamer - how often are you people rushing into Target to buy games at MSRP out of the case or the prison? And if something is on sale in the weekly ad or on price cut it'll have the flag sticking off the shelf to notify you, giving you a visual indicator of location.

This thread has devolved into whining for whining's sake with the whole case vs. plastic prison.
[/quote]

Of course, it's devolved into whining about the plastic prison. There aren't any clearance deals to speak of, so those who mourn the deals of old come here now and then, hoping for something to have changed and find only more discovering the horrible truth: Target sucks for gaming once more.

[quote name='kodave']
However it is true the increased floor space has led to less or no clearance - in fact my Target moved the entire electronics clearance end cap and its full of jack shit except some iphone crap, literally hundreds of Prince CD's at $5 each, and I found two copies of Lego Star Wars II for PC for $10 each.

Eventually games will have to get displaced from the plastic prisons and clearance will be back.[/QUOTE]

Eventually, games will have to get displaced from the plastic prisons and clearance will be back, but until that day comes this thread serves as a reminder of days bygone when visiting Target meant you actually found deals that weren't MSRP. Oh sure, they've got a $10 off here and there, but we're spoiled and we want more... ;)

Electronics clearance was light again at my store. Only Diary of a Wimpy Kid (the green book) and A Belkin Wireless G router came out.

[quote name='kodave']However it is true the increased floor space has led to less or no clearance [/QUOTE]

There are Targets near me that still have the old layout, and there are stores that have converted (some as far back as the fall). I counted how many spots they have for games, and this is what I found:

Old layout: 616 spots for games
New layout: 536 spots (more floor space, maybe, but fewer games)
Both layouts: Suck for clearance in the past two months.

[quote name='hostyl1']Grabbed a :360: Left 4 Dead: GOTY for $4.98 today @ Potomac Yards (VA). Still a couple left as of noon.[/QUOTE]

Holy Shit, how old of a clearance item is that!

I'm surprised it made it that long in NoVA...than again that store always seemed to have shit whenever I visited it.

[quote name='arcane93']I'm sure Target will miss you terribly. :roll: You do know that they're not actually making any money (in fact, they're losing money) when they sell you a game at 75% off, right? So I don't think they're too worried about your "business" -- if you were their target market, they'd have stopped selling games a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this logic. I'm sure they make plenty of money by making us walk to the back of the store to find this stuff. My wife shops at Target much more frequently than she would like to because I go there over wal-mart, or Kroger (depending on what we need) so I can check the clearance stuff. We go in for household cleaner, or staples, or something dumb at the front of the store, but since I go to the back to look at games, she ends up looking at the home garden section, home decor, etc. For every week I think I may be able to get a cheap game there, we probably spend $20-$50 on odds and ends.

Same goes with SEARS-- i only go in there once a month to check clearance games, but I always leave with a Shovel or something, and last night- i bought my new TV there over Best Buy just because I hadn't checked their clearance rack this month.

Don't know if this is a new drop as I only saw it at one store:

:360: Spongebob Truth or Square $27.98:applause::roll:

It was still in the new layout section except it had one of those red clearance flags/labels sticking out that you can see from a mile away. If all the new clearance drops get one of these red flags not much is going to fly under the radar and make it to 75% off.

Otherwise nothing else except:

:ps3: Red Faction $9.98

Picked up the Sony Blu-ray player BDP-S360 for $74.98 but still stickered at $104.98...crossing my fingers it magically drops to $37, but I can live with $75.

I saw this myself on an endcap of clearance. This was new layout store:

:360: Spongebob Truth or Square $27.98

[quote name='180husher']Don't know if this is a new drop as I only saw it at one store:

:360: Spongebob Truth or Square $27.98:applause::roll:

It was still in the new layout section except it had one of those red clearance flags/labels sticking out that you can see from a mile away. If all the new clearance drops get one of these red flags not much is going to fly under the radar and make it to 75% off.

Otherwise nothing else except:

:ps3: Red Faction $9.98

Picked up the Sony Blu-ray player BDP-S360 for $74.98 but still stickered at $104.98...crossing my fingers it magically drops to $37, but I can live with $75.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Holy Shit, how old of a clearance item is that!

I'm surprised it made it that long in NoVA...than again that store always seemed to have shit whenever I visited it.[/QUOTE]

I *almost* grabbed one last week @ ~10, but there were 5+ copies so I figured I'd gamble another week.

But remember, this is the Platinum Hits GOTY edition, not the standard edition that went clearance last year. I actually had bought one of those way back when @ ~$13, never played it and traded it into GS under one of the promos. But at 5 bucks, I had to give it a shot (maybe I'll actually play it this time ;)).

[quote name='nbballard']I disagree with this logic. I'm sure they make plenty of money by making us walk to the back of the store to find this stuff.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that your logic assumes Target treating clearance items as intentional loss leaders, rather than as inconvenient left-overs that they need to get out of the way. There's no evidence whatsoever of that -- other than the very rare occasion when they list the presence of clearance items in a weekly ad (presumably when quantities are high enough that they need the extra push to get it all out), the vast majority of clearance is hidden away on end caps at the furthest reaches of the store, away from view from the vast majority of their foot traffic. If clearance was meant to be part of a marketing scheme to draw you into the store to buy other stuff, it would be much more prominent.

So, ok, sure, you buy a few more items when you go into the store to check clearance. That's nice. Target's assumption (probably right in the majority of cases, regardless of your personal choices) is that you will likely come in to buy those items whether there's clearance merchandise on the shelf or not. Will there be people who will come in less often and buy fewer other items if the amount of clearance is cut back? Sure, probably. Will it be a significant enough number to make even the slightest bit of difference to Target's bottom line? Not really. Hence, I don't think they're too worried about it.

Updated the thread. I wiped a lot of the drops out, so it's looking a little bare. I also didn't bother updating the price tags that people saw with no product-- seemed extremely YMMV. Also, the cheapo 3.XX games which I figure are long gone.

Hopefully we start getting some new clearance. Also, guys, I'm gonna stop doing the "price updated"-- instead I'll just changed "added" when a game drops to "Dropped" "Changed" or something like that along with the new date. It'll be easier to update the OP and the drop date will still be included.

Stopped at the Target in Federal Way, WA and there were two Bioshock 2 Collector's Editions for the PC for $20. Picked one up for a friend, but still one left. The outside jackets were a bit scuffed up for those who care about such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back