Tekken 5 Discussion and Info

[quote name='WebScud']I want to get a second stick, since I have one Strret Fighter AC stick. Should I go for a second AC stick or get the Tekken bundle? Thoughts?[/quote]

Street Fighter Arcade Stick is without doubt one of the best you can ever get, but Tekken Hori Stick is also top-notch(kinda similar to Official Agetec Dreamcast Stick), go for Tekken one if you already have Street Fighter stick.
you won't regret it.

[quote name='Ahmad']it's kind a shame, you cannot play on hori stick in devil within (because mode using analog sticks only).[/quote]

Are you still talking about the Tekken 5 Hori stick? Because the bundled Tekken 5 stick works fine when I was playing Devil Within mode.

[quote name='Socheata'][quote name='Ahmad']it's kind a shame, you cannot play on hori stick in devil within (because mode using analog sticks only).[/quote]

Are you still talking about the Tekken 5 Hori stick? Because the bundled Tekken 5 stick works fine when I was playing Devil Within mode.[/quote]

yes, it doesn't work with devil within - when it comes to analog function.
Arcade Sticks are digital, therefore they are not supporting analog controlled games.
anyway even box it says stick doesn't support devil within.

[quote name='Ahmad'][quote name='Socheata'][quote name='Ahmad']it's kind a shame, you cannot play on hori stick in devil within (because mode using analog sticks only).[/quote]

Are you still talking about the Tekken 5 Hori stick? Because the bundled Tekken 5 stick works fine when I was playing Devil Within mode.[/quote]

yes, it doesn't work with devil within - but I was talking about analog function.
Arcade Sticks are digital, therefore they are not supporting analog controlled games.
anyway even box it says stick doesn't support devil within.[/quote]

I'm aware that arcade sticks are digital, therefore any games supporting analog will not work with the game. And I know that on the back of the box, it says that the stick doesn't support Devil Within mode. However, I did play Devil Within mode with the Tekken 5 Hori joystick. Don't make me prove it... :p

[quote name='Socheata'][quote name='Ahmad'][quote name='Socheata'][quote name='Ahmad']it's kind a shame, you cannot play on hori stick in devil within (because mode using analog sticks only).[/quote]

yes, it doesn't work with devil within - but I was talking about analog function.
anyway even box it says stick doesn't support devil within.[/quote]

I'm aware that arcade sticks are digital, therefore any games supporting analog will not work with the game. And I know that on the back of the box, it says that the stick doesn't support Devil Within mode. However, I did play Devil Within mode with the Tekken 5 Hori joystick. Don't make me prove it... :p[/quote]

I played it too :D
and it's awesome.

As for the Devil Within mode, you can use the Hori stick (to control your character movements), but you can't adjust the camera (as that requires a right analog stick). Case closed.

[quote name='Ahmad'][quote name='WebScud']I want to get a second stick, since I have one Strret Fighter AC stick. Should I go for a second AC stick or get the Tekken bundle? Thoughts?[/quote]

Street Fighter Arcade Stick is without doubt one of the best you can ever get, but Tekken Hori Stick is also top-notch(kinda similar to Official Agetec Dreamcast Stick), go for Tekken one if you already have Street Fighter stick.
you won't regret it.[/quote]

If your nearby arcade has Tekken 5, the Hori's joystick is very similar to the one that comes standard in the arcade. If you've never used a Japanese style stick, then it does take a little getting used to.

Thanks for your toughts on the SF: AC stick vs the T5 stick. I thik I'll grab the bundle. The one arcade near me had Tekken 5 and I liked that stick.

...And bundle ordered. :D

hi does anybody want to talk about gameplay???

I never played Tekken before, but I scrapped VF evo to get into this game instead...

does anyone have any beginner tips and stuff??

I only learned how to do basic juggles and stuff

I kno I can jux go to srk or TZ for tips but I am interested in hearing what most of u guys have to say, some opinions of the less hardcore fans.

regardless of that, I hope I can understand this game and get close to tournament level by sometime next quarter

[quote name='JEKKI']hi does anybody want to talk about gameplay???

I never played Tekken before, but I scrapped VF evo to get into this game instead...

I kno I can jux go to srk or TZ for tips but I am interested in hearing what most of u guys have to say, some opinions of the less hardcore fans.

regardless of that, I hope I can understand this game and get close to tournament level by sometime next quarter[/quote]
IMO the most valuable thing to learn in Tekken is movement. If you get a handle on dashes, back dashes, and sidestepping you will do well with possitioning and dodging. Another key is learning to block 10-strings most players know at least one for there character and WILL abuse them on players who aren't able to block them. Beyond this mostly learning Tekken is learning Juggles, Wall Combos, and off the ground attacks. The strat. guide for Tekken 5 is actually quite well written and worth the price, it covers alot of the basics and has some info on moves the writters(one of whom is a TZ regular) feel are key for each character as well as some character specific strats.

Couple of thoughts after finally getting to play last night for a couple of hours.

Does Arcade Mode end? I played 31 matches and never got to a boss. Just kept leveling up. Odd. Cool but Odd.

What happened to Jin's Jump kick where he spun around and did a couple of sweeps? Kazuya has it but That was my favorite move with Jin. :(

Can the controller settings be set up for the Arcade Games? I haven't tried. Jsut thought I'd ask since my MAS sticks need to have the controls tweaked.

Other than that. Badass game. I'm really wanting to go home and play some more tonight.
-G

[quote name='ohvermie']I think they changed Jin's move set with Tekken 4.[/quote]

May have but I'm pretty sure I wouldv'e remembered them taking that move out. I would've flipped out back then. As I am now. :D
-G

[quote name='TheUnsane1'][quote name='JEKKI']hi does anybody want to talk about gameplay???

regardless of that, I hope I can understand this game and get close to tournament level by sometime next quarter[/quote]
IMO the most valuable thing to learn in Tekken is movement. If you get a handle on dashes, back dashes, and sidestepping you will do well with possitioning and dodging. Another key is learning to block 10-strings most players know at least one for there character and WILL abuse them on players who aren't able to block them. Beyond this mostly learning Tekken is learning Juggles, Wall Combos, and off the ground attacks. The strat. guide for Tekken 5 is actually quite well written and worth the price, it covers alot of the basics and has some info on moves the writters(one of whom is a TZ regular) feel are key for each character as well as some character specific strats.[/quote]
tite man... yeay sidestepping saved me from taking lots of damage against the computer last nite, gotta learn to do it well... needa learn things like wave dashing and stuff too

does the guide discuss tiers? do u know how bad the tiers are in this game? hopefully it's nothing like CVS2.

and yeay, arcade mode is endless. jus like playing at the arcade.

[quote name='simplygriff'][quote name='ohvermie']I think they changed Jin's move set with Tekken 4.[/quote]

May have but I'm pretty sure I wouldv'e remembered them taking that move out. I would've flipped out back then. As I am now. :D
-G[/quote]

as the story goes, Jin hated everything Mishima about himself, even his fighting style. What he did was retrain himself in the art of Karate to purify his soul... but if you like all the old Jin moves don't worry, in Tekken 5 Devil Jin is pretty much an almost perftect clone of Tekken 3's Jin, but alot cooler and with more moves. :D

Can anyone give more info on the stategy guide? it sounds pretty interesting and I ususally don't like picking up stratagey guides unless they are super in depth (ie, the writers go all out on explaining everything all the way up to mind games)

For those wondering about the differences between a Hori Real Arcade Pro and the T5 stick visit this LINK

The first pic you see is that of a Hori RAP, while the second pic is that of the T5 stick. I kinda of knew once I pressed the buttons for the first time that they weren't real arcade parts (no microswitch 'click'). Kind of wishful thinking to expect a Hori RAP for $50. So in the end, we all got what we paid for, a good console joystick for 50 bucks. Still a good deal.

Here are more pics of the inside of the T5 stick:
hori5.jpg

One more...
hori6.jpg

I always get vexed when I see people claim that the Tekken 5 stick is a RAP, which is a much superior product. Good post above, pictures speak louder than words

[quote name='yops2k'][quote name='Ahmad'][quote name='WebScud']I want to get a second stick, since I have one Strret Fighter AC stick. Should I go for a second AC stick or get the Tekken bundle? Thoughts?[/quote]

[/quote]
The SFAC stick is the shittiest of shit sticks, it uses a Chinese clone of HAPP sticks with a round actuator, which means very imprecise corners. The buttons are also Chinese. The only reason people pay $60 for these is to use as a box to swap in a HAPP stick & buttons

[quote name='Rozz']That bundle is pretty nice... Is this game a big improvement over Tekken Tag and 4? Those are the ones I didnt really like.[/quote]

I also did not like TTT and T4, but 5 really brought the game back to the glory days of 2 and 3. Basically you have fast and furious gameplay like 3 and the bigass selection of characters from 2 (many of them *are* from 2), plus pretty graphics like from 4.

Played the game nonestop this weekend. There are a ton of funny in-game scenes and ending movies. I am glad whoever was in charge decided to take a light-hearted approach this time.

The really funny ones to watch for include:

- Lee's ending (priceless!)
- Asuka's ending
- Julia/Ganryu's Fight 4 scene
- Heihachi's ending
- Yoshimitzu's Fight 4 scene
- Paul's ending
- Law's ending
- Kuma's showdown with Paul (forgot if it was Fight 4 or 7)
- Anna's ending
- Marduk's Fight 4 against Anna (win it)

Man, I could go on with that list.

Did the manual goof about Starblade being part of the Arcade History/ I think you can only play part of it during the boot up sequence.

[quote name='"cheapass Gundam"'][quote name='Rozz']*snip*

Did the manual goof about Starblade being part of the Arcade History/ I think you can only play part of it during the boot up sequence.[/quote]
you hve to unlock it. there are some ways, but some of them work and others don't

1) get all 30 ending.
2) get the highest tekken ranking.
3) beat Devil within mode and not get hit in starblade demo (I don't think that one is true)
4) play 200-300 matches in arcade more.

I don't which one is true, but there it is.

man this game is sweet! iv spent the last 2 days playing the shit out of it and saving up $$ for the cool accessories for characters :)

i love playing as kazuya's alternate with his horns, wings, tail and third eye equipped! sooo good

this game is awesome

[quote name='adaaaam']I always get vexed when I see people claim that the Tekken 5 stick is a RAP, which is a much superior product. Good post above, pictures speak louder than words

[quote name='yops2k'][quote name='Ahmad'][quote name='WebScud']I want to get a second stick, since I have one Strret Fighter AC stick. Should I go for a second AC stick or get the Tekken bundle? Thoughts?[/quote]

[/quote]

The SFAC stick is the shittiest of shit sticks, it uses a Chinese clone of HAPP sticks with a round actuator, which means very imprecise corners. The buttons are also Chinese. The only reason people pay $60 for these is to use as a box to swap in a HAPP stick & buttons[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Just from looking at the stick in the store It looks cheap as hell. The buttons stick up way too high and are like a pastel color. I don't want to hate on anyone here who has one but for few more bucks you could get a Hori or a MAS or a RAP or hell build your own. http://www.arcadecontrols.com Even the T5 stick without microswitches is questionable IMO. But For $50 it's probably the best America has seen so far.

Oh and what the fuck is up with Jinpachi? That dude is cheap as hell. 55-60% damage for 1 fireball. :evil: I think I'm gonna play story mode on easy to unlock all the characters and then spend time earning cash to buy accessories in Arcade mode.
-G

We may in the future. I'm seeing more and more of Hori's accessories popping up stateside. EbGames has PSP screen protectors from Hori on their site and we just got the T5 stick. Perhaps there's more in the pipeline.
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']Oh and what the shaq-fu is up with Jinpachi? That dude is cheap as hell. 55-60% damage for 1 fireball. :evil: I think I'm gonna play story mode on easy to unlock all the characters and then spend time earning cash to buy accessories in Arcade mode.
-G[/quote]

I was just gonna say something that, lol. At least I'm not the only one. I'm all for bosses being cheap, because it is a fighting game after all, but sweet Lord.

Or maybe it's just that we suck. :p

[quote name='simplygriff']We may in the future. I'm seeing more and more of Hori's accessories popping up stateside. EbGames has PSP screen protectors from Hori on their site and we just got the T5 stick. Perhaps there's more in the pipeline.
-G[/quote]
I hope so. Judgement Day reviewed the Hori SNES controller for the Cube. I e-mailed the US Hori rep and he snet me a list of all the GameCrazy's around me that stock them. How badass is that?

If you can manage to land a flying kick, Jinpachi can't recover if you just keep landing flying kicks on his forehead as he struggles to get back up.

Perfected his fatass twice last night using this strategy.

[quote name='simplygriff']

Oh and what the shaq-fu is up with Jinpachi? That dude is cheap as hell. 55-60% damage for 1 fireball. :evil: I think I'm gonna play story mode on easy to unlock all the characters and then spend time earning cash to buy accessories in Arcade mode.
-G[/quote]

The best way I have found to beat Jinpachi is using HARD hitting moves or fast launchers. An example with Bryan would be Forward, Forward, 2(right punch for people not in the 1234 system know) followed by Back, Back, 4(right kick) if the Mach breaker hits. On the launcher scene with Bryan I found Back+1 to work ok(follow with down+3,2,1,4 on hit)and Forward, Back, 2 (follow with F,F,2)to also work ok. He tends to eat ALOT of these moves for rather large amounts of damage. Other then that side step the fireballs and you should find that it's much easier.

Some of the Most badass endings:

Bryan Fury's
Yoshimitsu's
Kazuya's
Kuma/Panda (Lee Chaolan is a baddass in those endings)
Steve Fox's
King's
Hwoarang's
.... and many more.... jeeze, I still can't beleive how balanced of a game this is with so many characters. Usually some character's are a little too overpowering, but everyone seems very even... Very impressive Namco... Thumbs up!

Damn you Namco. I really wanted the Prince (or even the King) from Katamari Damacy to be unlockable. Hehe.

I'm sure the King's Rainbow Beam could overpower Jinpachi's fireball. :wink:

[quote name='WebScud']Damn you Namco. I really wanted the Prince (or even the King) from Katamari Damacy to be unlockable. Hehe.

I'm sure the King's Rainbow Beam could overpower Jinpachi's fireball. :wink:[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']For those of you who missed out on the preorder artbook:

50% reduced scans

Enjoy (not mine)![/quote]

i was wondering if anyone thought this book was good? I liked it kind of, just wich it had more "drawn art" instead of "CG art", but very nice pre-order if you ask me.

well, i can say I have beaten story mode with everyone, and am halfway done with unlocking everyone's $500,000 items.

Considering the art book is free, I can't complain, although compared to the real art books published for sale in Japan, this book is a joke by comparison. For starters, all the individual artworks would get their own pages instead of being Photoshopped to cram onto the pages. The book is also surprisingly thin for the number of pages it's got.

They are posting hand-drawn illustrations in the Gallery section of Tekken Official.

Tekken Official

On the Tekken Official site is a section for Tekken 5 labeled "special" that has alternate costume art for characters. Can you actually get these in game? The Yoshimitsu C3 drawing looks like the in game one, but Asuka's C3 is a school girl outfit, not the crazy dominatrix thing from the art and I don't even think Xiayu (SP?) has a C3 for you to purchase.

[quote name='WebScud']Thanks for your toughts on the SF: AC stick vs the T5 stick. I thik I'll grab the bundle. The one arcade near me had Tekken 5 and I liked that stick.

...And bundle ordered. :D[/quote]

Does anyone own the original Namco arcade stick? It is the black and yellow stick (in metal casing) realeased along with Soul Blade, for the PSone.

I own one of these and it seams to be a quality and durable unit.

[quote name='ohvermie']On the Tekken Official site is a section for Tekken 5 labeled "special" that has alternate costume art for characters. Can you actually get these in game? The Yoshimitsu C3 drawing looks like the in game one, but Asuka's C3 is a school girl outfit, not the crazy dominatrix thing from the art and I don't even think Xiayu (SP?) has a C3 for you to purchase.[/quote]

Yes they are in the PS2 console version. Tekken Zaibatsu has posted screen shots for them here.

From what I hear, some of the extra costumes are not available until you've purchased a specific accessory for that character. Don't quote me on it though.

i hate fighting jinpachi with every character except steve fox. i rape him whenever i use steve, but like everyone i want to see every ending, so i use other characters. that fatass always knocks me down then does that gay move where he "magically" picks you up off the ground and then fireballs me. he's always a bitch and teleports backwards whenever i hit him then fireballs me. i just hate that cheap ass mother fucker.

Sidestep several times in case he does a double fireball. By the time you see he's not doing the 2nd fireball, run up and juggle him or knock him down before he can recover.

If you manage to knock him down, keep running up to him and do a jump kick. He won't be able to recover at all. This works for all characters that have the "flying kick" style of run-up jump-kicks.

Heh, glad to hear that I am not the only that is consistently frustrated with getting assraped by Jinpachi. I DON'T SUCK AFTERALL!!! or at least not as much as I think...
There's no way to block those black lightning stagger moves are there? Everytime I go in for a sliding kick or something he whips it out, I get stunned for the 3 second falling down animation and then promptly get fireballed or energy drained or even worse, juggled and then get hit by black lightning again. HE SO CHEAP!!!

I don't think Jinpachi is that bad... I can beat him with every character I've played as. (I have about 25 endings so far.) With the characters that I'm good at: Kaz, Hei, Ling, Bryan, DJ and my new character, Steve, he's a peice of a cake. However, with the other characters, to get their endings I put it on easy, 1 round and 30 seconds... at the most it would take me like 3-4 tries with someone I suck as like Wang... or Roger...

Hey Jinpachi! Steve Fox had you in 10 seconds.
Why don't you take note and stop fighting back?

I've found that it is easier to do the super moves against Jinpachi than anybody else, so with Wang, Fei, Ganryu, etc., it is usually quite easy to beat him if you get the lucky timing down.

I had trouble with my first run at Jinpachi, too. I was Feng, and he beat me quite literally 50+ times. I then whupped him within 5 tries on my next three characters. The trick is to be aggressive, and keep going right at him. That way, the cheaptacular fireball won't be an issue.

I found Lee's ending to be VERY disturbing. Those who have seen it know just what I mean; I won't spoil it.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']For those of you who missed out on the preorder artbook:

50% reduced scans

Enjoy (not mine)![/quote]
is that the domain of some guy who posts on thawasteland.com ?

let me getchu twisted mang

[quote name='ViolentLee']
I found Lee's ending to be VERY disturbing. Those who have seen it know just what I mean; I won't spoil it.[/quote]

Yes... too much "crotch" shots if you ask me :eek:

[quote name='doodle777_98']i noticed alot of people dont like their game sticks from tekken. if you want to sell me it then. make me an offer.[/quote]

with that said, I am willing to buy the DVD case off someone for a reasonable price :)

[quote name='doodle777_98']i noticed alot of people dont like their game sticks from tekken. if you want to sell me it then. make me an offer.[/quote]

I, personally, like it. For what it is, it's actually great.

bread's done
Back