The '2008 is my year to lose weight!' thread

[quote name='blueweltall']Are you suppose to take whey protein before or after a workout, or is it the next day when you are resting?[/QUOTE]

Technically at anytime, but I have read taking some right after a workout is important, as is creatine (if you are into such things)... working out breaks down muscle, resting builds it back up... taking whey after a workout just starts the process as quickly as possible (I forget to take it sometimes, but try to consume it regularly). Ive also heard to take it before a workout (there is so much info out there , but for having energy for a workout, it sounds like a good plan)... Ill generally take a nutrition bar many times before a workout, as well as a banana for the potassium

I weighed about 350-365(cant remember exactly)several years back. Over about a year to a year and a half I got down to about 200 pounds which being 6'0 and being a very broad build was actually very close to my ideal weight(especially when you consider how much extra skin I had)but then I meet my fiancee. Within a year or so of dating her I was at 235 pounds, the year after 250 which I maintained for a year and a half or so. Heh a year later im up to 260 pounds! She also has gained weight and is at 180 now being about 5'4. Time for both of us to loose some weight badly! I dont even care anymore about beign 200 pr under or having my abs come back in. I just want to hit 220-230 and get rid of my back pain. Its amazing the difference a little weight makes, as I lost all the weight I stopped having problems with my back and feet and found that I not only had more stamina but was able to do stuff like balance really freaking well.

2 things on the subject of loosing weight and excercising.

1. I think its bad advice to tell people to work through the pain. In many cases this is what you should do.....but you cant know what others are feeling. What for one person might be a pain from a muscle being stretched for another might be a muscle getting close to tearing. We have been trying to loose the weight again for a number of months now. We have done pretty well with excercise going for 2 walks a day each being several miles(yes running is better, but I lost the 150 pounds the first time just walking for the first 100 pounds). Well while walking I kept getting this pain in my foot but instead of taking it easy I tried pushing myself through the pain. I ended up tearing a muscle in my foot which my doctor says will probably never heal the way it should. So now for the rest of my life anytime I push myself and play baseball, volleyball or do anything else for any length of time im going to get horrible pain in my left foot and risk re tearing the muscle.

Its much better to take it easy finding other ways to excercise if your shin or anything else is hurting you. For example try as the one guy said an elliptical(awesome awesome machine)or riding a bike. Riding a bike is almost as good at burning calories as running but its not even half as hard on your joints or muscles. Same goes for swimming! If your shin still hurts riding a bike then you should probaly see a doctor.

2. As someone else said atkins isnt a good diet. Most diets where you can eat as much as you want and loose weight usually mean your cheating yourself in some way. First off half of these diets you gain most of the weight back really fast. Second though alot of them are HORRID for your body. Atkins for instance can hurt your cholesterol and REALLY clog your heart. At the time I lost the 150 pounds I would stil eat pizza, burgers, candy, ice creame and all sorts of other good stuff...just id balance it out by having oatmeal or a piece of chicken for other meals. Meanwhile a friedn of mine did Atkins. She lost more weight then me....but she regained most of it and she now has heart problems. It amazed me when we had a movie night she scollded me for eatting candy yet she whoffed down a whole can of slim jims!

[quote name='MSI Magus']I weighed about 350-365(cant remember exactly)several years back. Over about a year to a year and a half I got down to about 200 pounds which being 6'0 and being a very broad build was actually very close to my ideal weight(especially when you consider how much extra skin I had)but then I meet my fiancee. Within a year or so of dating her I was at 235 pounds, the year after 250 which I maintained for a year and a half or so. Heh a year later im up to 260 pounds! She also has gained weight and is at 180 now being about 5'4. Time for both of us to loose some weight badly! I dont even care anymore about beign 200 pr under or having my abs come back in. I just want to hit 220-230 and get rid of my back pain. Its amazing the difference a little weight makes, as I lost all the weight I stopped having problems with my back and feet and found that I not only had more stamina but was able to do stuff like balance really freaking well.

2 things on the subject of loosing weight and excercising.

1. I think its bad advice to tell people to work through the pain. In many cases this is what you should do.....but you cant know what others are feeling. What for one person might be a pain from a muscle being stretched for another might be a muscle getting close to tearing. We have been trying to loose the weight again for a number of months now. We have done pretty well with excercise going for 2 walks a day each being several miles(yes running is better, but I lost the 150 pounds the first time just walking for the first 100 pounds). Well while walking I kept getting this pain in my foot but instead of taking it easy I tried pushing myself through the pain. I ended up tearing a muscle in my foot which my doctor says will probably never heal the way it should. So now for the rest of my life anytime I push myself and play baseball, volleyball or do anything else for any length of time im going to get horrible pain in my left foot and risk re tearing the muscle.

Its much better to take it easy finding other ways to excercise if your shin or anything else is hurting you. For example try as the one guy said an elliptical(awesome awesome machine)or riding a bike. Riding a bike is almost as good at burning calories as running but its not even half as hard on your joints or muscles. Same goes for swimming! If your shin still hurts riding a bike then you should probaly see a doctor.

2. As someone else said atkins isnt a good diet. Most diets where you can eat as much as you want and loose weight usually mean your cheating yourself in some way. First off half of these diets you gain most of the weight back really fast. Second though alot of them are HORRID for your body. Atkins for instance can hurt your cholesterol and REALLY clog your heart. At the time I lost the 150 pounds I would stil eat pizza, burgers, candy, ice creame and all sorts of other good stuff...just id balance it out by having oatmeal or a piece of chicken for other meals. Meanwhile a friedn of mine did Atkins. She lost more weight then me....but she regained most of it and she now has heart problems. It amazed me when we had a movie night she scollded me for eatting candy yet she whoffed down a whole can of slim jims![/QUOTE]

I agree with most of the working out through pain, Ive done enough excercise to know when I should take it easy as opposed to go all out (back pain... Im definantly sitting out)... As long as the person who gets pains doenst take it too far and refuse to work out whenever there is uncomfort... it all varies with the individual, body type etc... but if I took a day off with every little ache and pain, Id never work out. My knee was being a little testy today, got on the elliptical a few moments and I was fine. Know your limits but dont use any pain as an excuse to not work out or run. Dont push yourself too much at first, that is always a recipe for disaster. I ran an entire year on a torn ACL, knew I had it and it would need to be fixed, but I put in a good year of racing back in 03 because it rarely got to the point where I had trouble running, if it did, I stopped. Got it fixed a couple years later, here I am today running better times than I did then

Thank you for showing the dark side to that fraud diet known as atkins... one that encourages the overeating of fat laden foods can NEVER be good for you. Its these people and the gastric bypass people who constantly find ways to get on my nerves. "I lost all this weight... aint I great"... geez you had surgery to make it easy since you have no mental willpower to lose weight the correct way... Ive seen enough people gain back the weight after the bypass surgery to know it is dumb... and with insurance paying for it, the healthy people out here are the ones who pay for it

Last edited by a moderator:
back from vacation...lol did only one run while i was gone. put in some miles walking around chicago but oh well that's what vacation was for. and zman, I ran a 25:11 I think, which I know isn't great, but I've been steadily improving and only really running since the beginning of June. My next goal is a sub 25 then I'm gonna start shooting for lower.

And I know you said stay away from Nikes, but I've been reading on the MayFlys and heard that they're pretty good race shoes. Do you have shoes just for race days?

And to whoever asked about protein, I've always heard (and practiced) that taking it after you workout is optimum. Also to try and get 1gram of protein per lb of your body weight (ex. you weigh 180, get 180 lbs.) I take a shake in the morning...2 after my workout...which puts me around the 140 gram range...then try and get a few cans of tuna in each day to finish it out.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Akin's diet, south beach diet, finger down the throat, what the hell was the difference?[/QUOTE]

I did Atkin's a few years back. Even though I lost weight, I gained it back and gained more.

Now, I watch what I eat and exercise regularly. It paid off nicely since I started last year.

Oh my god, working out crushes my soul.

It's gonna be hell when school starts back up and I have even less time in the day to do anything.

uh oh I think my metabolism has kicked in :| I don't feel hungry and started only eating 2 meals a day :O Breakfast and dinner. Don't feel trusty.

I did buy those protein bars last night (5 bucks for 5!).

I took my first day off from exercising today. Tomorrow morning is going to be very busy for me and I won't be able to go exercising until the afternoon instead of the morning.

[quote name='specialk']back from vacation...lol did only one run while i was gone. put in some miles walking around chicago but oh well that's what vacation was for. and zman, I ran a 25:11 I think, which I know isn't great, but I've been steadily improving and only really running since the beginning of June. My next goal is a sub 25 then I'm gonna start shooting for lower.

And I know you said stay away from Nikes, but I've been reading on the MayFlys and heard that they're pretty good race shoes. Do you have shoes just for race days?

And to whoever asked about protein, I've always heard (and practiced) that taking it after you workout is optimum. Also to try and get 1gram of protein per lb of your body weight (ex. you weigh 180, get 180 lbs.) I take a shake in the morning...2 after my workout...which puts me around the 140 gram range...then try and get a few cans of tuna in each day to finish it out.[/QUOTE]

25 minutes is very good, better than most everyone since it takes so much just to build up the tolerance to run. The fun part is breaking that record over and over. I have only came close to my 19:34 one time since I set it last Dec... the 20:02 I just ran was my 3rd best 5k ever (although Ive ran quicker 5k splits during the Azalea Trail 10K and the 6k race I did a few months ago) Tonight was a 2 miler and I was waaaaaay off of my PR time, I had a chance after a 6 minute first mile but the skies opened up and the rain came down hard and literally blinded me. I freak out and hold back in the rain, too afraid I will slip and hurt myself. Finished with a 12:44... 30 secs slower than my last 2 miler... oh well... gonna try a 4 mile mud run next month, should be interesting

As far as race shoes, there are some I prefer wearing during races, but Ill also train in them too. Have 4 pairs I use to run in at the moment, will probably swap em all out by the end of the year. Try a few different shoes before committing, depending on your running style, certain types will benefit you better than others

My protein comes from fat free milk, powder, tuna (which I still dont like), and chicken primarily

luckily i love me some tuna :D

also trying to build some muscle while running...fun stuff. I've pretty much plateaued with my biceps but I figure the lifting coupled with the running will atleast produce some nicely defined muscles.

and i'm still researching shoes. right now i run in asics equation 2. they were pretty cheap $60ish but i love for what they do.

Hey all, a very nice informative thread here. I've been hitting the gym for about a year now and I went from 240 to 200 (I'm 5'11"). About two months ago my car died so I started riding my bicycle to work (about 10 miles a day, 6 days a week). That has helped me get down to 190. I am more conscious of what I eat, but I'm not really dieting. Just preparing my meals at home and less fast food, maybe once a month if the mood hits me.

Anywho, I wanted to see if anyone here takes a multi-vitamin any recommendations of a good brand.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I think he said something about repairing the damage with protein. He mentioned Muscle Milk and a few other things. After the work out I do take a shower and make myself an egg omelet with turkey/ham/chicken (depending on what I have at the time) for my first meal. My water intake has been dropping :(

I need something without paying a lot of money for it. I am on a tight budget so if I can keep it natural and cheap, the better.

I don't have any pictures of it, but my ex had really pumped up lower legs and you could see how dense the muscle was. Of course she jogs around her neighborhood for like an hour every day for years.[/QUOTE]

Haha dude, you cracked me up with all this "lower leg" muscle talk. I like how you are so excited to see a difference, shows you are motivated to change. Anyways, call your "lower leg" your calves from now on.

Protein is essential for muscle growth. Protein from foods is preferred, but obviously not always convient, so get some pure whey protein supplement. If you are looking for quick results, start taking muscle milk. If you are working out to look good as well as make your body healthy, stop taking muscle milk. I wouldn't take any supplement like muscle milk, that has a bunch of different supplements mixed in. Supplements are meant to be taking in certain dosages and timings, which is impossible to control if every supplement is mixed together.

After you work out, you should spike your insulin level, which means combination of simple/complex carbs. So, I would throw in some type of healthy carbs with your omelet. Before the gym, I would eat some oatmeal or sweet potato. Seems like you go to the gym in the morning, so oatmeal would be your best bet.

As for your leg muscles being defined for 3 hours after you work out, then returning back to its normal flabbyness? When you do activity that involves muscles, you get blood flowing into your muscles, hence they might look/feel bigger. Later, stuff goes back to normal and they might feel more flabby then before.

I thought I was going to throw up after my workout today.

Not sure why, I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary for breakfast (Fiber One with skim milk, kiwi and a banana).

[quote name='seanr1221']I thought I was going to throw up after my workout today.

Not sure why, I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary for breakfast (Fiber One with skim milk, kiwi and a banana).[/QUOTE]

Did you workout legs? I am always on the verge of throwing up after legs.

I was having all sorts of pains after my workout today... first my entire left leg started getting pains all over (told my jogging buddy when she arrived that they were sympathy pains because they are the type she gets)... did 3.5 miles at a slow 8 min miles... then went and did hills on the bike to recover my legs for 30 mins (still a good up and down workout for my heart rate)... did 10 min on the elliptical... then sped things up on my last 2.5 mile jog... my lower legs are feeling it... its probably from racing last night... went and got a protein filled smoothie afterwards

oh shit I am starting to get a rash/ rub markings between my legs. I think either my upper legs are getting bigger (due to muscle increase) or when I jog I am not spacing out my leg movements causing friction! :O

Taking that day off yesterday may not have been good as I had shin splints on my left leg today :(

[quote name='afedock']Did you workout legs? I am always on the verge of throwing up after legs.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I did a combo of chest and back.

I'll see how things go today.

[quote name='ITDEFX']when I jog I am not spacing out my leg movements causing friction! :O
[/QUOTE]

It's most likely this.

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh shit I am starting to get a rash/ rub markings between my legs.[/QUOTE]
Two words - compression shorts. $6.99 a pair at Target, I almost always wear them doing anything athletic. Also takes away the need to wear a jock, if you wear one.

hey hey!

I was just feeling my arm muscles and calve muscles and the firmness and size remains the same as if I just worked out even though it's been about 24 hours since I worked out. I guess the tuna sandwich from Wegmans (sp?) and the protein bar during Topic Thunder yesterday helped out big time! yay! :bouncy:
That was a damn good Tuna Sandwich I ate yesterday. Better than subway's cheap subs.

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh shit I am starting to get a rash/ rub markings between my legs. I think either my upper legs are getting bigger (due to muscle increase) or when I jog I am not spacing out my leg movements causing friction! :O

Taking that day off yesterday may not have been good as I had shin splints on my left leg today :([/QUOTE]

Proper running shorts do the trick as well, be sure to use vasoline and baby powder when needed to reduce friction... I had it really bad after my half mary... looked like someone had taken a pin and proceeded to make little pin pricks all on the insides of my thighs, Im skinny... but the combination of 13 miles and cold weather was too much

Congrats on noticing improved muscle definition, they say good rest is every bit as important as a good workout for a reason... as long as you keep downing the proteins to rebuild you will keep getting results...

Amazing reading on Olympian Phelps 12000 calorie a day diet... granted I dont need THAT much, but I probably need more than the 3000 I get daily (it is hard to consume that many calories, even eating throughout the day)

[quote name='zman73']Proper running shorts do the trick as well, be sure to use vasoline and baby powder when needed to reduce friction... I had it really bad after my half mary... looked like someone had taken a pin and proceeded to make little pin pricks all on the insides of my thighs, Im skinny... but the combination of 13 miles and cold weather was too much

Congrats on noticing improved muscle definition, they say good rest is every bit as important as a good workout for a reason... as long as you keep downing the proteins to rebuild you will keep getting results...

Amazing reading on Olympian Phelps 12000 calorie a day diet... granted I dont need THAT much, but I probably need more than the 3000 I get daily (it is hard to consume that many calories, even eating throughout the day)[/quote]

Right..lubrication is the key. ;)
I ready that 12k calorie in take. god damn it! Wait a few years and wait and see what this guy looks like.

He eats that much to maintain weight. In a few years he'll still be ripped as hell, still swimming like s shark, and still eating whatever he wants.

Now go lube your thighs and run one out! ;)

[quote name='CouRageouS']He eats that much to maintain weight. In a few years he'll still be ripped as hell, still swimming like s shark, and still eating whatever he wants.

Now go lube your thighs and run one out! ;)[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

What did you think, ITDEFX? He ate like that for fun?

What I really found interesting was Phelp's 1000 cals worth of energy drinks per meal. Thats like 9-10 Red Bulls. I wonder what his pupils look like at the end of the day from all that caffeine and all the time in the water.

Also they said he only eats that much during intense training. He doesn't wake up and gorge just for fun, its all for energy since he's basically constantly swimming all day. I'm sure he eats like a human being during the rest of the year.

When you are training for hours a day, you need that much of a caloric intake, hell I can down a large pizza in one sitting regularly and I gain nothing..l all Im trying to do is at least maintain weight, which is really hard to do (had went from around 160 to 153 over the last few months but over the past 11 days have gained one pound) Ive had to keep increasing my caloric intake, I eat throughout the day and am lucky to break 3000, which amazes me more when I look at his diet. Im going to have to increase my intakes even more the closer I get to trying a marathon as I will be running around 60 miles per week. Plus I plan on having a full variety of energy gels at my disposal DURING the actual run. Ive read how Dean Karnazes (ultramarathon runner) will have pizzas delivered to him in the middle of his 100 mile training runs to keep up energy, which is needed when one 100 mile run burns 2 weeks worth of calories!!!

The only thing I really read labels for these days is fat content... picked up a plain little honey bun... 97% or the daily recommended fat in one little pastry... amazing

I doubt the energy drinks are red bulls or any other high caffeine drink, there is only so much caffeine you can safely take during a day. It would have to he calorie heavy first and foremost

[quote name='CouRageouS']
Now go lube your thighs and run one out! ;)[/quote]

:rofl: now why do I have the feeling you want to watch?

[quote name='seanr1221']:rofl:

What did you think, ITDEFX? He ate like that for fun?[/quote]

I dunno. Here I am trying to make sure I do not exceed 2k a day and eat the right foods and then read all the headlines "Swimmer intakes 12k a day!" and what he eats.

Down 47 pounds (Thursday is my weigh-in day). Want to take off 7 more and get to my summer goal within the next two weeks (i.e. before summer ends).

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Down 47 pounds (Thursday is my weigh-in day). Want to take off 7 more and get to my summer goal within the next two weeks (i.e. before summer ends).[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!!! Congrats on the weight loss, maybe you can sneak in a few beach trips in at the new weight, impress the ladies :)

[quote name='zman73']Awesome!!!! Congrats on the weight loss, maybe you can sneak in a few beach trips in at the new weight, impress the ladies :)[/quote]

Pssssh.

Not of all of us are super-toned one-million-mile racing runners in the rain, slick. ;)

nah he has to worry about the women driving by hollaring and honking. Either that or the bony high schoolers driving by heckling you.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Pssssh.

Not of all of us are super-toned one-million-mile racing runners in the rain, slick. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL... considering that last race tueday was literally during a blinding thunderstorm Ill have to agree with the rain running comment. And I only ran 6 miles today ;) and I was being supportive, if it is summer, and you have lost a ton of weight, go out and impress those ladies who know you from "heavier" times

...Slick...LMAO

... I am very supportive and hope everyone meets their weight loss or fitness goals, everyone on this thread would probably moan and groan at what my jogging buddy texted me today while I was working, something about since she hadnt had any hour long workouts in the past 2 weeks, she was going to end up a cow... that followed her saying she needed lipo (I proceeded to tell her she was smoking crack, and she recanted)... once I actually get a pic of her, I will post it... then you will understand

[quote name='zman73'] once I actually get a pic of her, I will post it... then you will understand[/quote]

good idea!!

aside from that... don't get depressed because the greatest swimmer in the world can eat 10,000 calories a day.

A - I'm sure he is a naturally light guy - ectomorph / hard gainer, etc.

B - he is burning an intense amount of calories each day training for hours upon hours in the pool. I wish I would be able to do that. Well not in the pool anyways. I'm tired of the pool. I swam competitively from age 5-20 year around, multiple teams, double practices a day, etc. and then quit because it became a job and I hated it. My family still gives me crap for it, but that's a story for another day. But... if I could train all day for the stuff I like now that would be another story.

C - Back to part A, he has genetics on his side. He lucked out a bit in the genetic pool. I'm not saying he doesn't work his ass off, but 99.9% of the people no matter how much they train could never get a mile within what he does.

Anyways... everyone keep up the good work and hard training.

[quote name='ITDEFX']oh shit I am starting to get a rash/ rub markings between my legs. I think either my upper legs are getting bigger (due to muscle increase) or when I jog I am not spacing out my leg movements causing friction! :O

Taking that day off yesterday may not have been good as I had shin splints on my left leg today :([/quote]

Wait for the bloody nipples. The first time I got them I was afraid to lift up my shirt at the end of the race and I made my girlfriend clean em off and bandage them for me.

It was a 10 mile race in about 90 odd degree weather. Made for a very sweaty shirt being very, very rough on my chest. It taught me the very important lesson of taping my nipples for long races, especially summer time ones.

[quote name='Dokstarr']Wait for the bloody nipples. The first time I got them I was afraid to lift up my shirt at the end of the race and I made my girlfriend clean em off and bandage them for me.

It was a 10 mile race in about 90 odd degree weather. Made for a very sweaty shirt being very, very rough on my chest. It taught me the very important lesson of taping my nipples for long races, especially summer time ones.[/QUOTE]

Just go shirtless, especially in that hot of weather... I made the same mistake in my half marathon... the cold combined with a cotton short... ouch... bloody nipples

Ahh...I tried out Band Aids on my long run this time...they sweated off near the end, but no nipple chaffing :D.

Was too chicken to try vasaline...didn't want two wet spots on my shirt.

yeah, I saw the news report about Phelps and wow. I'm excited that my gym will be moving into a new bigger building across the parking lot. There will be more machines and a pool so I can start swimming laps. That will help me to tone up my body some more and build more cardio as well.

bloody nipples? WTF?!?!?!

Shirtless? Not until the spare tire is gone. It's going, but it's taking awhile to get there.

[quote name='ITDEFX']bloody nipples? WTF?!?!?!

Shirtless? Not until the spare tire is gone. It's going, but it's taking awhile to get there.[/QUOTE]

Start doing some distance runs...I scoffed at the notion of them too, then I did some long runs and while I didn't get bloody nipples they hurt like all get out. So my next long run...band-aids.

What happens is your shirt hitting your nipples after so long eventually will rub it raw causing them to bleed (I can imagine the pain is horrible)

I'll repeat it again from a couple pages ago that sometimes I really don't like going the gym with chicks. A friend asked me if I was going to the gym last night and I would mind if we went together. I obliged and I literally felt like she was watching me the whole time. I don't like when someone is trying to have a deep conversation while I'm benching, squating, and all in the zone! I get tunnel vision sometimes from the intensity hahaha.

It was pretty empty so she had free reign to do whatever she wanted since it already around midnight. Usually the whole point of these girls going to the gym with a guy is to avoid creepers at the gym from bugging them in the weight area. It turned into social time since she just talked to me and played with her new phone. Silly 19 year old.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'll repeat it again from a couple pages ago that sometimes I really don't like going the gym with chicks. A friend asked me if I was going to the gym last night and I would mind if we went together. I obliged and I literally felt like she was watching me the whole time. I don't like when someone is trying to have a deep conversation while I'm benching, squating, and all in the zone! I get tunnel vision sometimes from the intensity hahaha.

It was pretty empty so she had free reign to do whatever she wanted since it already around midnight. Usually the whole point of these girls going to the gym with a guy is to avoid creepers at the gym from bugging them in the weight area. It turned into social time since she just talked to me and played with her new phone. Silly 19 year old.[/QUOTE]

Player!!! If she is on her phone 24/7, she isnt really into the working out (she at least attractive?)... I dont do weights with my friend , only cardio which works out great because running on a treadmill is so boring by yourself (not enough to stop me)...

She's alright I guess, she is kinda dumb so maybe I count it against her :lol: I'm just saying though, the whole point of her asking if she could go with me is so she could go into the weight area without guys bugging her. Kind of pointless if she was there and its pretty empty and she just plays with her phone and talks to me. Like everyone around here is a member of 24 so at times it can become a social gathering.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy doing cardio with the ladies but I really don't do it often at this gym. I usually do cardio at the health club I work at since I can do bag work there too. 24 doesn't have punching bags or even medicine balls anymore. They just recently locked up the medicine balls and other equipment for their personal trainers.

I use to go to the gym with my ex a few years ago. I didn't like the environment where the staff where flirting with the chicks when they were trying to work out. That was a waste of time and money (and gas) because it did squat for me and the end result was I got Athletes foot from the showers :(

Ok..... now this is strange. All this week I have been feeling heat radiating from my upper body hours after a work out that would last all day. Hmm.. what is going on?

[quote name='CouRageouS']She's alright I guess, she is kinda dumb so maybe I count it against her :lol: I'm just saying though, the whole point of her asking if she could go with me is so she could go into the weight area without guys bugging her. Kind of pointless if she was there and its pretty empty and she just plays with her phone and talks to me. Like everyone around here is a member of 24 so at times it can become a social gathering.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy doing cardio with the ladies but I really don't do it often at this gym. I usually do cardio at the health club I work at since I can do bag work there too. 24 doesn't have punching bags or even medicine balls anymore. They just recently locked up the medicine balls and other equipment for their personal trainers.[/quote]

Haha! Sounds like a good date. ;)

I can say from personal experience that gyms as a girl by yourself are aweful because it seems like half the guys there would prefer to hit on you than work out.

Wow... quite a weekend, had a running "date" planned with my friend from the gym... she cancelled last minute, saying how her and her b/f had a huge fight over the weekend and that she would fill me in... She let it slip friday that she thinks HE is jealous of me... he has the money and the girl... shouldnt I be jealous...lol... I personally think the guy is a douche, but am not trying to influence anything in that relationship. Im going to continue to play it cool. Id have to say she is more than a running acquaintance now, but a friend. I was greeted with a small thank you note on my car when I left the gym the other night... I dont know...

On topic, after cutting the grass and washing my car and getting stood up for the gym, I proceeded to hit the park and had the most uncomfortable run in a long time... It was too humid, thought the recent rain would have cooled things off enough... it didnt

I'm more about strength than cardio, but I need to up my Vo2 max for the Airforce. Well, I can do the PT test just fine, but I'm not fast enough on the running portion to get a perfect score. The problem is that I have Pes Planus(moderate) and it can cause shin splints and makes my legs work harder than normal. Any good corrective techniques? Or should I just get a pair of Beasts (Brookes running shoes. Designed for low-arch people 200+ lbs)?

Hey, anyone know a good place to buy excercise equipment that will install it at your house at a reasonable cost? Me and my fiancee are great at walking during the summer but during the winter when it gets cold(we live in OHio)we slack. We also need more cardio and my Doctor has told me not to even walk let alone run(tore a muscle in my foot).

We bought an Elitpitical at Walmart last year and despite the fact that we are able to put kids toys, book shelves and other things together no problem putting that thing together was a beast! The damn thing took hours and even when we completed it the damn peddle just ended up spinning off and denting our heater. We vastly prefer to just go someplace this time and buy one and then pay to have them come and install it at our place. We HOPE to spend around $500 but would do as much as a grand.

bread's done
Back