The Aldo Montoya Wrestling Thread

I am happy Edge won because we all know Edge can put on great matches when he brings his A game and he can work awesome programs when given a decent story and opponent.

Jack Brisco died.

Absolutely worthy of a tribute thread, but I enjoy this thread topic too much to officially suggest it. The "looks like a buff Napoleon Dynamite" comment made me laugh like few posts here have.

[quote name='lombarvm'] Am I alone in thinking that Beth Phoenix is attractive?[/QUOTE]
You most certainly are not.

I see the pic just fine.

Going to Raw tonight.. will be posting pictures afterwards.

//edit - :whee:!!

Former MNM tag-team member and former Champion Joey Mercury is set to return to World Wrestling Entertainment, according to PWInsider.com.

Mercury was released by the company in 2007 and retired in 2008, reportedly due to injury issues. He is slated to be on SmackDown, which is where his former tag-team partner John Morrison is also.

Anyone remember his cringe-worthy injury at the 2006 Armageddon ladder match?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6YrpeT2vUw

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Oh man, the pic in the OP isn't showing up anymore. Can anyone else still see it?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Gone for me.

Greetings folks.

I've been on CAG for a long time, but post rather rarely. I'm an old fogie and thus I have little in common with the younger, spirited lads that patrol these boards religiously. I find it odd that my search for more mature banter found solace in these "wrasslin" threads, but that it did. Particularly, posts by mykevermin whose "Bluto-esque" avatar I sorely miss.

About me. Just to date myself, the first PW match I watched on TV was the Killer Bees in a tag team match in the early 80s (WWF). I don't remember who they were against. All I remember was two big dudes with matching bumblebee skivvies. The finisher was the "bee sting" which was more or less throwing his ass at the opponent off the ropes. Quality.

I grew up in the Hogan era and I admit I was very much a Hulkamaniac. I remember Junkyard Dog, Ricky Steamboat, Hillbilly Jim, Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Billy Jack Haynes, George Steele, and so forth. I also remember incredible commentary by Gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura, and even good ol' Vince. And the antics (and commentary) of Bobby Heenan (whose contributions are so very underrated).

Anyone remember "Hulk Hogan's Rock N' Wrestling"?

The "Attitude Era" came and I stopped watching for a while. Probably because this is about the time I went to college. But also, and I know this is in direct contention with many of you, I thought this ruined what I thought was great about PW. I liked the fact that there was strong dilineation between face and heel characters and how they were defined by basic good and bad values (faces had friends, follow the rules, etc... heels backstab, cheat, etc). The Attitude Era basically threw all that out the door and said now the good guys are all angsty douchebags with the "couldn't care less" attitude. Wonderful. Not to say there wasn't some GREAT talent during this time. But, yeah. This would breed the lengthy in-ring promo segments of the same dudes spouting the same banal tripe for 10 minutes (oh how I miss the old crazy interviews with Mene Gene backstage with bug-eyed Hogan on speed or Ultimate Warrior spouting nonsensical philosophical gibberish).

PW for me was more about huge, larger than life dudes with ridiculous gimmicks from "parts unknown" suplexing and clotheslining each other. Where finishers actually meant something. It was like the carnival sideshow that you watched because it was just a silly good time. I mean, remember the Undertaker thing with the "urn" and Paul Bearer? Totally absurd. And awesome.

Then it became all serious. People using their full real names. God-awful commentary, and I can't stress this enough. Everyone is either emo or a super douche. Ugh, to me this bred a whole generation of tool bags. Oh, and they way oversaturated the PPV market and crippled storyline development by doing it every month.

This is getting too long, so let me end by saying this:

Hammer throw to the corner run in countered by face boot is retardedly overused. It would be nice to not see this at least once every single match. Thanks.

TL;DR:

Hi, I'm Eltis. Pleased to meet y'all.

yea I grew up on Hogan and old school NWA and WCW, good times.. but 97-99 were great years.. Nitro and Raw monday nights, then watching ECW at 1am on the Sunshine Network down here in Florida on Fridays.

Call it official:
ATLANTA, GA – February 1, 2010 -- The Atlanta Sports Council, Georgia World Congress Center Authority and World Wrestling Entertainment® are proud to announce that the Georgia Dome will host WrestleMania XXVII on Sunday, April 3, 2011.

The announcement was made at a press conference today at the Georgia Dome. The Honorable Mayor Kasim Reed, Atlanta Sports Council President Gary Stokan, Commissioner, Georgia Department of Economic Development Ken Stewart and Atlanta Falcons President Rich McKay joined WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon in making the announcement. WWE Superstars John Cena®, Batista®, Big Show®, Rey Mysterio®, Mark Henry™ and WWE Divas Kelly Kelly® and Eve™ were also on hand for the announcement.

“Atlanta has a long-standing reputation of hosting the highest level of sports and entertainment events and adding WrestleMania XXVII to the list is a major coup for our great city," said The Honorable Kasim Reed, Mayor of Atlanta. "We've built our reputation on over-delivering for such prestigious events like the Olympics, Super Bowls, NCAA Final Fours and All Star Games. WrestleMania will further showcase Atlanta as one of the leading sports and entertainment capitals of the world and will bring substantial economic impact to Atlanta and the state of Georgia."

“We are thrilled to bring the biggest sports entertainment event in the world for the first time to the city of Atlanta in 2011. The enthusiasm of the sellout crowd at last night’s Royal Rumble® was just a small sample of what to expect when WrestleMania XXVII takes over Atlanta,” said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman and CEO. “We look forward to focusing the eyes of the world onto the great city of Atlanta and making history at the Georgia Dome.”

Visitors from around the world are expected to converge on Atlanta and participate in a week-long series of events that will culminate with the annual pop culture extravaganza, WrestleMania XXVII. Among the activities will be the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, WrestleMania Axxess, WrestleMania Art auction and a Celebrity Pro-Am Golf Tournament. The pay-per-view event will be televised to more than 100 countries. Last year’s 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania and the events surrounding it pumped nearly $50 million into the local Houston economy, as 72,744 fans converged on Reliant Stadium for the event.

The Georgia Dome is no stranger to hosting major sports events such as Super Bowl XXXIV and XXVIII, NCAA Men’s and Women’s Final Four, the SEC Football Championship and Chick-fil-A Bowl, along with major entertainment events such as U2, Rolling Stones and NSYNC.

See some of you in Atlanta next year.

Kudos to Mercury for heading back to WWE - hopefully he's able to avoid falling back into painkiller addiction again.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.wwe.co.jp/news/news_detail.php?nid=10147

EDIT: According to McMahon's comments in that article, he used the "naughty words": he calls Inoki a "pioneer in professional wrestling, not just in Japan but around the world."[/QUOTE]

Glad to see it confirmed - he definitely deserves to be in and I cannot wait to hear Hansen's speech. Hopefully he brings up his fat wife and having to feed their kids.

Welcome, Eltis - please contribute more to our grumpy old "get off my damned lawn" festivals here in the wrestling threads.

And the days of wine and roses weren't that great in the 80's, as we had our share of stinkers. What immediately comes to mind is the Bushwhackers' name finisher, which must surely be in the running for worst wrestling finisher ever.

OTOH, I was always a huge fan of the Stump Puller and the heart punch, neither finishers that get used anymore.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']Call it official:

See some of you in Atlanta next year.[/QUOTE]

blah.. was hoping south florida would pull it in..

b66f05.jpg

Replace the OP pic with this one...tinypic won't let us down like OWW has.

[quote name='KaneRobot']
b66f05.jpg

Replace the OP pic with this one...tinypic won't let us down like OWW has.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to be a dick, but I have to say it. Shouldn't someone shop some breadsticks into his hands?

And to clarify, I have no problem with anyone who works in the food service industry.

I know I wasn't the only one who enjoyed how Lil Rey got SQUASHED by Undertaker....it was hilarious!

Damnit, forgot that WWE RAW is in Nashville tonight. Ah well, I'm watching it on TV now. We'll see if I was wise enough to not spend the $ on a ticket.

kofi might be on drugs...two botches!

....and that ref gotta win "sold punch of the year"

The finish to that match was some TNA-at-it's-worst style shit.

wtf, Bret does the job again.. I have a feeling Bret will job to Vince all the way to WM and then finally get put over in one match.

[quote name='pimpster4183']wtf, Bret does the job again.. I have a feeling Bret will job to Vince all the way to WM and then finally get put over in one match.[/QUOTE]

Which is funny because that's the exact thing Bret did NOT want to do when he was trying to negotiate an acceptable feud with Michaels before leaving WWE. "Ok, you'll lose to Shawn here, and here, and here, and here. Then you'll beat him."

Anyway, I'm torn on the ending - I enjoyed how it played out because it was at least sort of unexpected, and it gives Batista something to do. What I don't like is that it will apparently tie up Cena as well, and I'd rather see Cena - Taker at Wrestlemania than watch Taker and Shawn try and fail to live up to last year.

Cena/Taker at WM won't happen simply because they won't feed Cena to Taker. Taker's streak won't be broken, and I doubt WWE wants their biggest star to lose to Undertaker. You also have to wonder how well Taker will be come WM time. If he's still not as mobile as he used to be, you are going to need Cena to carry the match, and that won't happen simply because his specialty is getting his ass kicked for 10 minutes.

[quote name='Chronis']Cena/Taker at WM won't happen simply because they won't feed Cena to Taker. Taker's streak won't be broken, and I doubt WWE wants their biggest star to lose to Undertaker. You also have to wonder how well Taker will be come WM time. If he's still not as mobile as he used to be, you are going to need Cena to carry the match, and that won't happen simply because his specialty is getting his ass kicked for 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

i think cena/taker went out the window with the final segment tonight with dave attacking bret. the fact he mentioned cena before dave came out all but did the giant cartoon sign pointing to DAVE V. CENA at wrestlemania

Mixed bag of a show. The opening with Edge and Sheamus was good, and they at least came up with a decent explanation for Edge's face turn. Cena-Cody was short, but okay. HHH-Swagger was really good and provided yet another strong showcase for Swagger. Whenever he's given a longer match on Raw, he delivers, which makes his continued poor usage on Raw that much more puzzling. Shatner's singing was just...amazing. They really need to release that online somehow. Orton-Michaels was good, but nothing special. Shawn's moving slower than usual.

The nip up>school boy finish ruled. HBK's little weird quarter-ponytail, however, didn't. Ted-Henry was mercifully short. Kofi-Show was an absolute disaster. Kofi got into the chamber in THE weakest manner humanly possible. Show came off as the face here AND provided some fine comedy afterwards. The Bret-Vince deal was awesome. So far, they're doing a great job at making Bret seem like a special attraction. Him beating up Vince looked good, and I wasn't expecting Batista to come out. That was a pleasant surprise there. I assume it'll be Cena and Bret vs. Batista and Vince at Mania, which is probably a good move if Cena isn't healthy enough to do a full one-on-one match with Batista.

Shatner singing WWE Entrance Themes -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IZEIVVYA

Screens -

I need to fire my hairdresser.

AYE MATEY!

Quotes -
Edge - I’M BAACCCCCKKK! AND IT FEELS GOOD, and I’m not just back in a WWE ring, or in front of all of you. Because I’m back IN THE MAIN EVENT OF WRESTLEMANIA! I wanna take you guys back to 6 months ago. Jericho and I had just won the unified tag team championships, and then I got injured. Docs had me coming back in March, April, May, June, or maybe never - and I was sitting at home 7 weeks ago and I watched the Slammys and see him thank me for getting injured so he could team with the Big Show. And I sat there and saw Jericho make light of my injury and the room got very silent. And it didn’t get silent because Dennis Miller bombed with another brutal joke - it got silent because at that moment I MADE MYSELF A PROMISE, A VOW! I’ve missed 2 Manias due to injuries and I promised myself I wouldn’t miss a third - I REALIZED WHO I AM AND I AM THE ULTIMATE OPPORTUNIST! So, I made myself that promise, that I would prove the doctors wrong, that I was gonna rehab harder than I ever have before AND I DID! I promised myself that I was gonna enter the Rumble and win it! And seven weeks later, Jericho has a Slammy, a mugshot on TMZ, and me, I have my ticket to the main event of WrestleMania! And that means that I can face any champion that I want. Two years, in the main event of ‘Mania, I faced the Undertaker. And I lost. But unlike Shawn Michaels, this year, if I want the Dead Man, I can have him! But when you talk about opportunity, would the smart thing to do be to face the guy who’s undefeated at Mania, or go after the guy who’s never even competed at WrestleMania! I could make a decision tonight, or do the smart thing and wait until after the Elimination Chamber PPV. One thing I do know Is that this year, the rated R SUPERSTAR WILL HEADLINE WRESTLEMANIA! (Sheamus comes out)
Sheamus - Look at this - you’re not back 5 seconds and you’re already mouthing off. A lot has changed.
Edge - Yes - it seems Raw’s been taken over by an evil Ronald McDonald.
Sheamus - I’d watch your mouth if I was you. I’ve never done something that you couldn’t do last year at ‘Mania - beat Cena for the WWE Championship. Last night, I defeated Randy Orton to defend the title.
Edge - I’ve made a career out of beating Cena for the title, and I beat Orton.
Sheamus - DAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO! I’M GONNA WALK OUT OF THE ELIMINATION CHAMBER STILL WWE CHAMPION! And if I could beat them, fella, I won’t break a sweat beating you. Run off at SmackDown like a good fella - I don’t wanna ruin your Royal Rumble moment by rippin’ yer head off. YA DEAF!? I’M GIVING YOU THE CHANCE TO LEAVE - DO IT, BEFORE I PUT YOU BACK ON THE SHELF FOR GOOD! (he attacks Edge)
Cole - LAST WEEK, PSYCH DID RECORD-SHATTERING RATINGS WITH JOHN CENA AS THE GUEST STAR!
Lawler - And they should be even better this week - FORMER WWE DIVA STACY KEIBLER GUEST STARS!
Lawler - RANDY ORTON WITH A MOONSAULT! Why do I keep calling Cody Rhodes Randy Orton?
Cole - Because he’s a part of Legacy with Orton!
Sign - Thwagger Thwucks!
Lawler - Maybe Swagger should stick to amateur wrestling.
Shatner - I think I’m cute. I know I’m sexy. I got the looks. That drives the girls wild. I’ve got the moves. That really move them. I send chills up and down their spines. I’m just a sexy boy. I’m not your boy toy.
Shatner - YOU CAN’T SEE ME! My time is now! OW OW OW OW!
Shatner - Booyaka, booyaka, 619. Rey Mysterioso! Booyaka, booyako, booyaka!
Shatner - It’s time! TO PLAY THE GAME! TO PLAY THE GAME! HAHAHAHAHAHA! IT’S ALL ABOUT CONTROL AND IF YOU CAN IT. IT’S ABOUT YOUR DEBT AND IF YOU CAN PAY IT. IT’S ABOUT PAIN AND WHO’S GONNA MAKE IT!
Ad Guy - William Shatner Sings WWE Entrance Themes - coming soon.
Cole - ORTON IS THE APEX PREDATOR OF THE WWE!
Lawler - That guy is JUST MEAN! You know he once asked Stevie Wonder what his favorite color was?
Lawler - Both of these men are former champions, and both of them…you know…um…have the qualifications to be champion!
Lawler - It was an honor to work with Jack Brisco and know him.
Show - You give bald people a bad name!
Ad Guy - REMATCH NEGOTIATOR! (Shatner appears)
Miz - They’re not even on Raw, so if anyone deserves a title shot against DX on Raw, it’s us!
Show - What are you gonna do about it?
Shatner - What I do best - MAKE A DEAL! NEXT WEEK ON RAW, TRIPLE! THREAT! YOU TWO AGAINST YOU TWO AGAINST DX! WINNER GETS THE TAG TITLES! FREEZE FRAME. FREEZE FRAME GUYS!
Miz - William, you okay?
Cole - I WANT TO THANK ALL THE WWE FANS WHO DOWNLOADED THE NEW WWE ALBUM ON AMAZON.COM AND MADE IT THE NUMBER 1 MOST DOWNLOADED, ROCK, MOVIE, AND TV SOUNDTRACK!
Show - YOU CAN’T DO THIS TO ME SCOTT, I WAS THUMBED IN THE EYE!
Show - IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! I DIDN’T DO IT ON PURPOSE!
Lawler - It is my pleasure to introduce our guest host. He’s not only a huge WWE fan, but he’s also the man who inducted me into the WWE Hall of Fame. He’s my BFF - William Shatner!
Shatner - I HAVE HAD THE BEST TIME BEING, UH, YOUR HOST FOR RAW. Thank you so much! And now I’d like to have the honor to introduce the, well he is the excellence. Of execution. The best there is. The best ever was. The best there ever will be - my fellow Canadian and my hero - BRET THE HITMAN HART!
Bret - It was a little over a month ago that I was here and you know, for me, I’ve had about a month to think about things and put it all into perspective for myself. I came here for all the right reasons. 12 years is a long time. It took 12 years to come here with open arms and make peace. People told me that I was crazy - everybody warned me, but I was a little too naïve. I actually thought I could put this behind me once and for all. I was wrong, and it doesn’t sit very well with me. I just wanna say that I didn’t come here tonight to make peace or for closure - I CAME HERE TO TALK WITH VINCE FACE TO FACE! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE! If you don’t come down here, I’ll come down with a camera crew and we’ll find you. GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE! C’Mon Vinny, I’m waiting. I don’t like to wait - IT MAKES ME MADDER! (Vince comes out)
Vince - I’ve never regretted a thing I’ve said or done to you!
Bret - Congrats - that’s the first honest thing you’ve ever said to me! YOU ARE THE WORLD’S GREATEST LIAR! When it comes to lying, you’re the best there was, best there is, and ever will be. You lied to me in Montreal and you lied to me a few weeks ago. You lied when you looked me in the eyes and said you were proud of me and when you said you were like a father to me. YOU COULDN’T LACE UP MY FATHER’S JOCK STRAP! Last week, Cena came out here and he described you as pathetic. You know, I know all about pathetic! 8 years aog, I was in a wheelchair. I suffered a stroke and everyday, I thought about what it would take to get up and walk across the room. One day, I found the courage to stand up and get past it. I remember crying myself to sleep feeling pathetic. I told myself that someday I’d get out of that wheelchair, and I did. And I promised myself that I wouldn’t feel pathetic again. Then I came here with an open heart, offered you my hand, and you kicked me in the gut and left me feeling pathetic! I’VE GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT! FOR 14 YEARS I WORKED WITH YOU, I LACED UP MY BOOTS, WRAPPED UP MY INJURED KNEES FOR 300 DAYS A YEAR. I told myself that someday Vince would appreciate it - BOY WAS I WRONG. It took me 20 years to build up a reputation, and it took you 3 minutes to tear it all down! Then you described me as chewing gum that had lost its flavor - this stick of chewing gum has enough flavor in to kick your ass right here and right now!
Vince - Now…in the interest of being honest with one another. There he is - BRET HART! Wait - I forgot, it’s Bret “the Hitman” Hart. There’s the excellence of execution - the hitman Bret Hart. My favorite one is the best there is, best there was, and the best there ever will be! WHAT A CROCK! There’s one other - when you’re in Canada, you’re a Canadian hero. That makes me wretch! YOU’RE NOT A HERO!
Hart - Finished?
Vince - NO, YOU’RE NOT A HERO! NOT TO CANADIANS OR ANYONE!
Bret - ARE YOU FINISHED!?
Vince - NO! I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT IS, I’VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IT! I DON’T KNOW WHAT THESE PEOPLE SEE IN YOU! I DON’T GET IT! YOU’RE REVERED BY THESE PEOPLE AND YET I THINK YOU’RE PATHETIC! You have absolutely zero personality! If it wasn’t for the personalities of the people you faced in the ring, if it wasn’t for them, who had a personality, you’d be a footnote in the middle of the card. You look like a dog, you dress like a hobo. Bret, you deserve to be screwed! There’s one more thing I want to say - when we last met face-to-face, I said that perhaps I’d nominate your father Stu for the hall of fame. That’s not gonna happen. No, it’s legit - I’m not gonna induct your father into the hall of fame because he doesn’t deserve it! (Bret unloads on Vince, then Batista comes out and punches him)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']Which is funny because that's the exact thing Bret did NOT want to do when he was trying to negotiate an acceptable feud with Michaels before leaving WWE. "Ok, you'll lose to Shawn here, and here, and here, and here. Then you'll beat him."

Anyway, I'm torn on the ending - I enjoyed how it played out because it was at least sort of unexpected, and it gives Batista something to do. What I don't like is that it will apparently tie up Cena as well, and I'd rather see Cena - Taker at Wrestlemania than watch Taker and Shawn try and fail to live up to last year.[/QUOTE]

Let's have Cena-Batista. A 4 hour PPV needs a good bathroom match for the second half.

It's "kip up", not "nip up".

The show from Nashville was fun. I'm not sure if it aired, but they played a full tribute video to Jack Brisco. Kofi botched a spot and the finish was terrible, but other than that, it was fun. Pictures and video will be up shortly.

After they went off the air, Cena ran down and cleared house. Sheamus came out and had a match with Cena. Cena locked in the STFU (do they still call it that?) and Batista ran out, dicked around a bit, then powerbombed (batista-bombed?) Cena on the ring steps inside the ring. I still think Sheamus is a complete fucking tool. After Batista's interference, he got on the mic, said "uh", tossed it down, and posed with the belt. I got this on video and will upload it.

I marked like a bitch for Hart throwing punches, marked even harder when he almost did the Sharpshooter.. man, I wish he locked it on.

I started watching last night's Raw, and am at where Big Show is exiting the ring, shouting "It was an accident!"

Good god, that is funnier than it should be. :whistle2:#

Big Show has, and always seemed to have, excellent comedic timing. 'Love the guy. Big Show gets no respect for how much talent he has, I tell ya. [/dangerfield]

[quote name='mykevermin']What immediately comes to mind is the Bushwhackers' name finisher, which must surely be in the running for worst wrestling finisher ever.[/QUOTE]
Alongside Kerry Von Erich's tornado punch, the Garvin Stomp, and Slaughter's Noogie Of Doom.

Just read that Vince is going to be on ECW to talk about changes to the show.

Goddammit, give me a movie monster/alien/futuristic commando wrestling program. I could watch some goofy shit like CHIKARA or whatever to get my dumb stuff fix, but only WWE has the budget to make something that is truly amazing/horrid to my satisfaction.

1) The Zombie's coming back!

2) He's going to change the E from "Extreme" to "Eh."

EDIT: Truthfully, let me take this moment to pray he kills "ECW" as a "brand." Its name has been tarnished so badly. People forgot how much they lamented Ric Flair's late WCW run, because his WWE run after that outshined all the crap he was put through and did to himself (like growing tits). It's going to take a helluva lot for people to do that for a promotion.

We do that now with WCW - we look back on it fondly, forgetting what a fucking terrible product it was starting around 1998 until its demise. We lament what could have been - what *should* have been - the easiest, greatest story arc in the last 50 years of professional wrestling - WWF vs WCW. WWE took a "you can't fuck this up" storyline and - well, they fucked it up. They did the same thing with ECW. Can its legacy outlive ECW Champions Kane, Bobby Lashley, or Vince McMahon? Can 7-9 years of amazing storylines, memorable characters, heartfelt promos, and the most interactive crowd ever seen be ruined by 3 years of the WWE shitshow? Perhaps. The real ECW had its moments, too (garbage matches come to mind), but its legacy deserves the ECW video archive be burned and forgotten by history.

I don't give a good goddamn if Vince McMahon rechristens the Tuesday product "WWE Presents the Tuesday Night Clusterfuck," if one company - if one goddamned company - can showcase *professional wrestling* on cable TV, then I'll watch. But I ain't tuning in to see 4 minute matches and that Washington motherfucker.

The topic needs to be changed to a Jack Brisco memorial (and none of that stooge crap).

[quote name='mykevermin']1) The Zombie's coming back!

2) He's going to change the E from "Extreme" to "Eh."[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, I'd actually managed to forget about that.

bread's done
Back