The Aldo Montoya Wrestling Thread

[quote name='mykevermin']Gerald Brisco was the stooge. Jack was the one with self-respect.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. All the more reason to change the topic. The man was a 2-time NWA world champ, after all.

There's a Brisco in FCW right now - is he related to the family?

(and I know better than to confuse the two Delaware hillbillies from ROH with this family.)

As for "The ECW Zombie," I think it's crucial to remember that. We were so excited about the resurrection of our beloved brand - it had been rumors for months, and it was about to come true. Sabu! RVD! Little Guido! Sandman, Terry Funk, Tommy Dreamer! Paul E! THIS WAS EXTREME!

And, given the importance of making a solid first impression with the crowd (remember how we bitched about TNA using that cage match clusterfuck with a DQ FINISH as the first thing to showcase their product?), the writers and producers of ECW decided *this* was what the wrestling world wanted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEwz4DCnLM

I also remember former Baldie Tony DeVito (who was in ROH for awhile in a tag team whose name I can't remember) showed up for 2-3 weeks in WWE's ECW as like a fuckin' priest or some other Halloween bullshit.

WWE knows how to do it properly, and they elected not to. Take this as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QccIiHbcyA

How exciting is that segment? And it's just an *entrance* (well, to be fair, Sandman was 90% entrance anyway, but he had one of the best). So much of that video shows everything that was right about the real ECW, and why WWE would never let it become that.

[quote name='mykevermin']As for "The ECW Zombie," I think it's crucial to remember that. We were so excited about the resurrection of our beloved brand - it had been rumors for months, and it was about to come true. Sabu! RVD! Little Guido! Sandman, Terry Funk, Tommy Dreamer! Paul E! THIS WAS EXTREME!

And, given the importance of making a solid first impression with the crowd (remember how we bitched about TNA using that cage match clusterfuck with a DQ FINISH as the first thing to showcase their product?), the writers and producers of ECW decided *this* was what the wrestling world wanted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEwz4DCnLM

I also remember former Baldie Tony DeVito (who was in ROH for awhile in a tag team whose name I can't remember) showed up for 2-3 weeks in WWE's ECW as like a fuckin' priest or some other Halloween bullshit.[/QUOTE]

That was actually hilarious. As soon as ECW was announced to go to Sci-Fi, rumors were floating around that the network wanted a Sci-Fi/supernatural character, like an alien, introduced. It was a great way to poke fun at them and establish that the show would still be ECW.

Also, Big Show's run as champ produced some great matches (and would have been perfect if they went with Heyman's original plan for December to Dismember of CM Punk eliminating Big Show first with the Anaconda Vice)

[quote name='Sporadic']That was actually hilarious. As soon as ECW was announced to go to Sci-Fi, rumors were floating around that the network wanted a Sci-Fi/supernatural character, like an alien, introduced. It was a great way to poke fun at them and establish that the show would still be ECW.

Also, Big Show's run as champ produced some great matches (and would have been perfect if they went with Heyman's original plan for December to Dismember of CM Punk eliminating Big Show first with the Anaconda Vice)[/QUOTE]

That wasn't hilarious, it pretty much made me give the product no chance. That along with it being turned into the AA program made me watch it all of two weeks.

WWE have registered to trademark 'NXT', to use for "the production and exhibition of professional wrestling events rendered live and through the media of television". I am assuming that's what the ECW show might be renamed as

I assume that's going to be pronounced "Next", featuring all of the young talent from developmental. If it results in the debuts of Low Ki and Danielson, I'm all for it.

Ugh, no, insider baits aren't funny. They're funny to insiders and people who claim to have insider knowledge (marks) only.

Calling the dude w/ Million Dollar Man "Virgil" as a stab at Dusty Rhodes? Not funny and never sold a ticket.

The Right to Censor as a stab at L. Brent Bozell's Parent's Television Council? Not funny, not clever and never sold a ticket.

Same goes for that shit segment. Strip away your "insider" knowledge from the dirt sheets and assume the role of a regular fan - you just saw a segment and thought to yourself "what the fuck is this shit?" b/w "what's on the other channels, I'm not watching a fuckin' zombie rassle?" The Wreslin' Zombie sold negative tickets and cost WWE money.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That wasn't hilarious, it pretty much made me give the product no chance. That along with it being turned into the AA program made me watch it all of two weeks.[/QUOTE]

You missed out on some great matches then.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2x3ny_wwe-ecw-big-show-vs-ric-flair

If you can't see the humor of poking fun at a rumor by debuting the worse character ever (something that would have came out of 1993 WWF) before having Sandman cane the hell out of him...

[quote name='Sporadic']You missed out on some great matches then.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2x3ny_wwe-ecw-big-show-vs-ric-flair

If you can't see the humor of poking fun at a rumor by debuting the worse character ever (something that would have came out of 1993 WWF) before having Sandman cane the hell out of him...[/QUOTE]

Not only that but I doubt he ever actually watched ECW aside from maybe one or two shows.

Pre-WWE ECW used to mock people and do similar one-night / short run storylines all the time. Little gestures like that were a part of the charm of the product.

Some jokes work some don't. Can't really blame them for trying. Now if the zombie was on the show week in and week out to a dead crowd we have a problem.

WWE NXT, huh? I hope there's more to it than a simple name change - it needs to be a huge change in either concept (have one) or production (differentiate itself from Raw/SD).

Vance Archer, huh? I don't care what promotion he's in or whatever he calls himself - Vance, Lance Hoyt, Texas (whatever it was when he was with Kid Kash) - only one thing comes to mind when I look at Lance Hoyt.

"That there's a grown man with a tramp stamp."

Who's the dude with Joey Matthews? It's been so long since I've watched ECW I forgot Matt Striker was no longer commentating.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Who's the dude with Joey Matthews? It's been so long since I've watched ECW I forgot Matt Striker was no longer commentating.[/QUOTE]

The black Michael Cole. Dude is awful.

I was particularly fond of Ezekiel Jackson feuding with Christian over the ECW title after McMahon announced that the show would be canceled.

I want to be all 'thank god ECW is over', but I can't argue with the fact that it was a solid show. Not great, but the core group made it worthwhile on a more regular basis than the other shows. It was inevitable, though, given that every time I turned it on the crowd was dead. Not just dead, but embarissingly and awkwardly dead. It's tough to watch people wrestle with ZERO crowd noise.

It's a shame, too, because any show that William Regal is the main heel of can't be all bad. I still wish he hadn't fucked up his big GM push a while back.

This is an oddly timed announcement, since I figured that they'd hold off until after WM to change anything... what happens between end of show and WM? Least this does explain why the ECW title wasn't even brought up by Edge, which I thought was odd for no other reason than it would've gauged crowd reaction to Edge/Christian.

[quote name='007']I want to be all 'thank god ECW is over', but I can't argue with the fact that it was a solid show. Not great, but the core group made it worthwhile on a more regular basis than the other shows. It was inevitable, though, given that every time I turned it on the crowd was dead. Not just dead, but embarissingly and awkwardly dead. It's tough to watch people wrestle with ZERO crowd noise.

It's a shame, too, because any show that William Regal is the main heel of can't be all bad. I still wish he hadn't fucked up his big GM push a while back.

This is an oddly timed announcement, since I figured that they'd hold off until after WM to change anything... what happens between end of show and WM? Least this does explain why the ECW title wasn't even brought up by Edge, which I thought was odd for no other reason than it would've gauged crowd reaction to Edge/Christian.[/QUOTE]

So, 8 weeks to WM26, right?

Kill ECW in three weeks, set up a tournament for the NXT title, finals at WM. It'll be WM26's "Bart Gunn versus Butterbean," unless it's like American Dragon versus...ummm...who else they got down in Florida? ;)

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']It's Great Muta month on 24/7's Shorties section - I'm in heaven![/QUOTE]

Awesome! I didnt get a chance to see what they added today.

[quote name='pimpster4183']Why would they have Regal out there talking down to Helms? Didn't Regal pull his jimmy out on an airplane?[/QUOTE]

Ugh, you just reminded me of when he had his crank out on a live PPV.

And I guess now we know why Edge didn't even offhandedly mention going after the ECW title on Raw.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, 8 weeks to WM26, right?

Kill ECW in three weeks, set up a tournament for the NXT title, finals at WM. It'll be WM26's "Bart Gunn versus Butterbean," unless it's like American Dragon versus...ummm...who else they got down in Florida? ;)[/QUOTE]

yeah right, wishful thinking...

it'll be like Ezekial Jackson vs. Vance Archer or some BS.

I'd like to see Zack Ryder as NXT champ for a little while... or move him up to Smackdown already. Everything is pretty stale right now, IMO.

Vance Archer's presence on televion leads me to believe that nobody in FCW or WWE has a clue what it means to be "ready for television."

I hope that there *isn't* an NXT title. Once ECW was sort of homogenized into a third WWE show, it was utterly pointless to have a title for just that show. If that is the direction they're going, just have the IC/US (which brand do they tour with now, anyway?) title show up there on occasion, since that's the title level these guys should be concerned with.

Really, the ECW title is a joke, so what the fuck would that make an NXT title?

My call would be to say 'fuck it' and just bring back the European title, but that's wishful thinking. It's a firmly established third-tier belt with a history, but that would just make too much sense.

If there *is* an NXT title, you can be sure it'll be bling-tastic. After the spinner and the tramp stamp, the ECW re-design was amazingly low-key, but I imagine it's the exception, not the rule.

So Vance Archer is Lance Hoyt? "Who wants to get infected?" indeed.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, 8 weeks to WM26, right?

Kill ECW in three weeks, set up a tournament for the NXT title, finals at WM. It'll be WM26's "Bart Gunn versus Butterbean," unless it's like American Dragon versus...ummm...who else they got down in Florida? ;)[/QUOTE]

Low-Ki? Hey, a guy can dream.

Yes, of course. I knew they had a semi-okay roster there, but couldn't think of anyone. You also have a Hennig, A Rotundo, some Windhams, and even a Darsow (Demolition Smash) kid in there. And a Brisco!

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes, of course. I knew they had a semi-okay roster there, but couldn't think of anyone. You also have a Hennig, A Rotundo, some Windhams, and even a Darsow (Demolition Smash) kid in there. And a Brisco![/QUOTE]

Some names reminiscent of the old Gordon Solie era of FCW.

I think they canned the Darsow kid a while back. This is mildly upsetting to someone who dressed as Demolition Smash for Halloween in 4th grade.

It's Muta month in 24/7's Shorties section - I'm in heaven with that. And Hell because they've got New Blood Rising available. Its booking is just mind-boggling. "GOLDBERG DIDN'T GO UP FOR THE JACKKNIFE!" "JEFF JARRETT'S ONE OF THE BEST WORLD CHAMPIONS EVER! fuck Russo. Jim Ross had an amusing line after Missy Hyatt got misted in Muta's match with Eddie Gilbert - "IT GOT RIGHT IN HER FACE AND IN HER EYES!" The booking in that one was stupid too, as Gilbert pinned Gary Hart to beat Muta.

Tommy Dreamer wrote the following on his Twitter last night about the end of ECW: "Many people have asked me why I left WWE. If you watched ECW tonight, a piece of the puzzle was revealed for my actions. Stay tuned."

ZOMG~! Possible ECW rebirth with Paul Heyman at the helm? Oh god pleasepleaseplease.. come to think of it.. what's RVD doing these days? Sabu? Sandman? Oh, I'm excited.

[quote name='scorch']zomg~! Possible ecw rebirth with paul heyman at the helm? Oh god pleasepleaseplease.. Come to think of it.. What's rvd doing these days? Sabu? Sandman? Oh, i'm excited.[/quote]

nfw.

[quote name='Scorch']ZOMG~! Possible ECW rebirth with Paul Heyman at the helm? Oh god pleasepleaseplease.. come to think of it.. what's RVD doing these days? Sabu? Sandman? Oh, I'm excited.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that Dreamer was implying he was asked to retire. Or something like that. He's been a good little employee to the WWE so I'm sure they gave him a choice -- you can retire and leave on your own, or we can show you the door ourselves. I'm thinking it was probably that so Vince could end ECW without having to outright release him and look like a major asshole in the process.

I don't know how you'd get "OMG ECW REBIRTH" out of a tweet basically saying he left WWE because he knew they'd kill the ECW name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, seems clear he knew it was happening. Without ECW, there really isn't a place for an active roster Tommy Dreamer.

[quote name='007']I hope that there *isn't* an NXT title. Once ECW was sort of homogenized into a third WWE show, it was utterly pointless to have a title for just that show. If that is the direction they're going, just have the IC/US (which brand do they tour with now, anyway?) title show up there on occasion, since that's the title level these guys should be concerned with.

Really, the ECW title is a joke, so what the fuck would that make an NXT title?

My call would be to say 'fuck it' and just bring back the European title, but that's wishful thinking. It's a firmly established third-tier belt with a history, but that would just make too much sense.

If there *is* an NXT title, you can be sure it'll be bling-tastic. After the spinner and the tramp stamp, the ECW re-design was amazingly low-key, but I imagine it's the exception, not the rule.[/QUOTE]

I agree. There is no necessity for WWE NXT to have its own title. But, in WWE logic, having two shows (Superstars and the upcoming NXT) without a title is one show too many. Imagine if Sunday Night Heat had a title, or if WWE assigned the European title specifically for that show. Wee.

[quote name='guyver2077']bring back the TV title[/QUOTE]

I like your idea. The NXT show could use the TV title as their "brand's" title. In fact, that's an excellent idea: Which is why WWE would never do it.

[quote name='neocisco']So Vance Archer is Lance Hoyt? "Who wants to get infected?" indeed.

Low-Ki? Hey, a guy can dream.[/QUOTE]

As Myke mentioned before, it's easy to recognize Lance Hoyt. Just look for a tramp stamp, and wham, you have a guy with a tramp stamp named Lance Hoyt.

By the way, Scott D'Amore parted ways with TNA. D'Amore played booking adviser for TNA up to 2006 and supervised booking for the Knockouts division. I enjoyed his work. It's a shame he left TNA.

In addition to wanting sci-fi elements on the new WWE show, supposedly SyFy is pushing for "reality TV elements" as well.

I don't really know what that means (and with the essential failure of the Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday PPV), but the concept of viewer interaction intrigues me. I expect WWE to screw it up by making it all a work, but having some sort of input would be great and would give the WWE a decent gauge of the audience. Of course, I know they think fuck-all of what we think and we'll get Vance Archer and Ryback (is he still floating around developmental?) competing for a #1 contenders match in some contrived parking lot gameshow.

Hmm. I think some easy, less cheesy sci-fi elements WWE could incorporate would be:

- 'Terminator'-type gimmick (I think that's Ryback's gimmick)
- Something cyberpunk (i.e. instead of a metal plate in Luger's arm, how about a story about the bone in his arm being replaced by a mysterious metal; hi-tech prosthetic arm)
- Perhaps a 'Dr. Jekyll and Hyde' angle where they debut a new interviewer (who just happens to be a new, good heel wrestler), and just prior to a 'Hyde' match they have a promo where a different wrestler speaks. But, at the end of their promo, the interviewer acts faint, the wrestler asks him if he's all right, and he indicates he 'feels funny/strange/etc.' In the end, the interviewer is just the manager for a monster-sized heel.

...What? :whistle2:#

They already have Paul Burchill and Shane Helms for their comic book character needs. If done properly, I'd show interest in a 'super hero faction warfare' angle between the two. Seriously.

Anyhow, there is a way to properly merge sci-fi and pro wrestling.

How about WWE signs Rhino to a new deal and they debut him as 'Rhino: The Human Rhino'. He could wear a horn, like Rhino the Spider-Man villain, and his entrance music could be a rhino making sounds and running all over the place?

OK, I'll stop. *flees*

[quote name='JJSP']In addition to wanting sci-fi elements on the new WWE show, supposedly SyFy is pushing for "reality TV elements" as well.[/QUOTE]

As a "fallback" sort of job, I have dangled into applying for market research positions here and there over the past few weeks (not something I'd be thrilled to do, but there's a solid reason for it, trust me). One included a post at NBC/SyFy. When applying, I thought to myself "man, I bet that channel's a total fucking mess, what with the "we're no SciFi, we're SyFy" differentiation and how that translated into a hodgepodge television identity where (1) it's clear they're no longer very interested in catering solely to a SciFi viewing demographic, but (2) it's not at all clear who else they are trying to cater to" thing going on over there.

If this is true, it is beyond my worst fears. Sounds like the ideas of a boardroom full of executives who don't ever watch TV trying to come to a consensus on something, and settling for "yeah, do all that shit!"

I was reading about the day I was born on which is February 19 and found out I share that day with these wrestling figures (in order of age):

Big John Studd (R.I.P.)
Francine (of the old school ECW)
Danny Doring (who is a year younger than Francine)

I wonder which other wrestlers share birthdays with us?

[quote name='mykevermin']As a "fallback" sort of job, I have dangled into applying for market research positions here and there over the past few weeks (not something I'd be thrilled to do, but there's a solid reason for it, trust me). One included a post at NBC/SyFy. When applying, I thought to myself "man, I bet that channel's a total fucking mess, what with the "we're no SciFi, we're SyFy" differentiation and how that translated into a hodgepodge television identity where (1) it's clear they're no longer very interested in catering solely to a SciFi viewing demographic, but (2) it's not at all clear who else they are trying to cater to" thing going on over there.

If this is true, it is beyond my worst fears. Sounds like the ideas of a boardroom full of executives who don't ever watch TV trying to come to a consensus on something, and settling for "yeah, do all that shit!"[/QUOTE]

Considering NBC is a fucking disaster to begin with....

What were you banned for?

Of course, the last time I asked someone that, I got two infractions.

bread's done
Back