The Aldo Montoya Wrestling Thread

What is it about Edge? He ain't exactly "new blood" in the main event scene. I'm not saying him winning is no different than HBK or Cena or any of the other dudes - but really, getting stoked about Edge seems contradictory to the "we're sick of seeing the same guys in the main event" attitude.

EDIT: Two and a half months of every fucking show with guys pointing at that sign makes me hate wrestlemania season.

...and there's the cheesy "look to the banner/blow up the pyro" spot.

I like Edge winning solely because he's not HHH/HBK/Cena/Orton. He's been gone for 8 months, so his return feels like fresh meat. No idea where he fits in though - I had figured on Edge/Jericho in a grudge match, HBK/Taker for one of the belts, HHH/Sheamus for the other, and Cena/Batista as the big "interbrand" match. With the Elimination Chamber PPV coming up, now I'm not so sure Sheamus is keeping his belt through 'Mania.

I've stated my love for edge in a previous thread, he's a chickenshit heel on a level that has been missing from wrestling since Honky Tonk Man. And frankly, he needs a long, extended run with a top title in that role.

Of course, since I said that, he'll be a face and I'll hate it.

(They called him a 9-time world champ... any of those reigns last longer than 2 months?)

I think it's more the fact that Edge beat Cena than Edge winning at all.

Man, too bad Punk didn't go farther. Those promos were truly gdlk.

[quote name='mykevermin']What is it about Edge? He ain't exactly "new blood" in the main event scene. I'm not saying him winning is no different than HBK or Cena or any of the other dudes - but really, getting stoked about Edge seems contradictory to the "we're sick of seeing the same guys in the main event" attitude.

EDIT: Two and a half months of every fucking show with guys pointing at that sign makes me hate wrestlemania season.[/QUOTE]

Its the "anyone but Cena" gimmick for me lol. All I really care about these days is Tna because of Anderson!

I think it's because Edge has been gone for so long. Everyone shoots a wad when a big return happens. Even Cena -- When his music hit at #30, Madison Square Garden's was blown off the foundation with his pop .... and then 5 seconds later, the crowd went back to it's Cena-hating ways.

But for one moment, everyone marked the hell out.

[quote name='moonknight25']Its the "anyone but Cena" gimmick for me lol. All I really care about these days is Tna because of Anderson![/QUOTE]

Right. Which is why I discount your opinion on things.

EDIT: I see UT dropping the belt b/w now and WM. It seems like HHH/Seamus is a lock (for whatever fucking reason), they're pushing towards UT/HBK 2 (Electric Boogaloo), and there's not really anybody else on Smackdown who's in the title scene.

What, you think it should be CM Punk and not Batista? You're obviously unaware of how WWE makes their business decisions.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I think it's more the fact that Edge beat Cena than Edge winning at all.

Man, too bad Punk didn't go farther. Those promos were truly gdlk.[/QUOTE]

What is gdlk? But yeah, WWE just floundered some of the best material they've come out with in months. After they knocked him out, they killed all the momentum for the Rumble until Edge came in.

[quote name='mykevermin']What is it about Edge? He ain't exactly "new blood" in the main event scene. I'm not saying him winning is no different than HBK or Cena or any of the other dudes - but really, getting stoked about Edge seems contradictory to the "we're sick of seeing the same guys in the main event" attitude.

EDIT: Two and a half months of every fucking show with guys pointing at that sign makes me hate wrestlemania season.[/QUOTE]

I honestly am not that into Edge winning it like others, more the fact that it isn't Cena/Batista/etc. and that he took out Cena more than anything. I've already voiced my opinion of who should have won.

I'll go with HBK screwing Taker out of the title in the SD Elimination Chamber match, resulting in Jericho winning, to set up Edge/Jericho and HBK/Taker.

There is enough reason to rejoice: Edge eliminated John Cena during his return.

I prefer Edge to win the Royal Rumble than John Cena, Batista, Shawn Michaels, or Triple H. Edge is not the future of WWE; like CM Punk, John Morrison, or Drew McIntyre--but he is a breath of fresh air. I hope WWE has Chris Jericho gain the World title and sets up Jericho-Edge at WrestleMania.

[quote name='Chronis']Agreed. But I think they can make a very good story about this that would once again make him badass old Kane. Have him win. You establish him as a powerful force in the WWE. Then have him choose Sheamus. Sheamus is so confident that he tells Kane he will beat him in any match, his choice. Of course, Kane chooses an old favorite, the Inferno match. Have a back and forth match to try to build them both up, until Sheamus finally burns Kane and wins. Raw the next day, Kane returns to masked and covered Kane because he is now completely burned. And he destroys the WWE roster until he finally gets Sheamus again.[/QUOTE]

This was from earlier in the thread, but I couldn't respond due to the rumble (while Punk was on before it sucked). This would be pretty good story, but alas, WWE has to put retard level stories on now because the audience can no longer follow them. Still, Kane should get the garb even before he gets burned, but that's because I hate his look so much right now.

[quote name='Chase']There is enough reason to rejoice: Edge eliminated John Cena during his return.

I prefer Edge to win the Royal Rumble than John Cena, Batista, Shawn Michaels, or Triple H. Edge is not the future of WWE; like CM Punk, John Morrison, or Drew McIntyre--but he is a breath of fresh air. I hope WWE has Chris Jericho gain the World title and sets up Jericho-Edge at WrestleMania.[/QUOTE]

And you know that would be an awesome match - Edge/Jericho. Two phenomenal wrestlers in there. would be great. By the way, anyone have an encore/replay anywhere? Those feeds from earlier say encore, but nothing is coming up yet.

With Cheech & Chong hosting Raw in a few weeks, I'm hoping for a fun round of drug testing roughly a week after the show.

There's something strangely ironic about having Cheech & Chong appear on a supposedly "family friendly" show that fired Kendrick for being a pothead while Linda McMahon is running for public office, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

[quote name='diddy310']I'll go with HBK screwing Taker out of the title in the SD Elimination Chamber match, resulting in Jericho winning, to set up Edge/Jericho and HBK/Taker.[/QUOTE]

I like it. Make it happen, WWE.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']What is gdlk?[/QUOTE]
Godlike.

Fun fun PPV. It helped that I was in IRC with a bunch of friends slamming the PPV though. ;)

[quote name='Chase']There is enough reason to rejoice: Edge eliminated John Cena during his return.

I prefer Edge to win the Royal Rumble than John Cena, Batista, Shawn Michaels, or Triple H. Edge is not the future of WWE; like CM Punk, John Morrison, or Drew McIntyre--but he is a breath of fresh air. I hope WWE has Chris Jericho gain the World title and sets up Jericho-Edge at WrestleMania.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, I don't follow. The only reason Edge is a "breath of fresh air" is because he's been out of action for the past year. This is the same guy who feuded with Cena for a year or so in a super repetitive storyline. And then there was that horrible Vickie thing.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm sorry, I don't follow. The only reason Edge is a "breath of fresh air" is because he's been out of action for the past year. This is the same guy who feuded with Cena for a year or so in a super repetitive storyline. And then there was that horrible Vickie thing.[/QUOTE]

No matter how short the breath, Edge is a breath of fresh air. Yes, due to inactivity by injury. And thanks for the reminder about his story with Vickie Guerrero. I almost forgot about the horror.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'] By the way, anyone have an encore/replay anywhere? Those feeds from earlier say encore, but nothing is coming up yet.[/QUOTE]

It's starting now.

[quote name='diddy310']I'll go with HBK screwing Taker out of the title in the SD Elimination Chamber match, resulting in Jericho winning, to set up Edge/Jericho and HBK/Taker.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense, hope they make it happen.

[quote name='Chase']No matter how short the breath, Edge is a breath of fresh air. Yes, due to inactivity by injury. And thanks for the reminder about his story with Vickie Guerrero. I almost forgot about the horror.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I forgot about Vickie also. thanks for reminding :facepalm:

[quote name='-GoodFella-']Makes sense, hope they make it happen.[/QUOTE]

Now you know it won't happen because it would make too much sense. Remember, this is the WWE we're talking about where CM Punk is going over huge and they decided to kill it.

[quote name='Chronis']It's starting now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. loading the one that starts with an E now. Neither is working. Is that the one, though?

After tonight I can without a doubt say CM Punk is now one of the best things in wrestling right now. His promo's are amazing and even the crowd was starting to buy into him too.

Whatever happened to Punk and his guy facing DX for the tag titles? Did that already happen?

[quote name='Blackout']Whatever happened to Punk and his guy facing DX for the tag titles? Did that already happen?[/QUOTE]
They nixed it for a Punk/HHH match and a Rey/HBK match. :whistle2:|

[quote name='bardockkun']After tonight I can without a doubt say CM Punk is now one of the best things in wrestling right now. His promo's are amazing and even the crowd was starting to buy into him too.[/QUOTE]

I had actually written up a bit here about Punk being the most well-rounded wrestler the WWE has right now but I didn't post it.

Anyhow, he can talk and in a way that isn't completely canned. I'm pretty sure that his stuff during the rumble was at least partially improv because of the difficulty predicting exact times when guys would get eliminated and how long he would have to work with. EDIT - Oh, and he said, "It's clobberin' time". There's no way in hell anyone put that down on a script. I almost spat out my delicious throwback Pepsi at that.

He has two finishers, one of which can be used on just about anyone, regardless of size. Additionally, the Anaconda Vice can presumably be slapped on non-wrestlers to further storylines in the same way that Mankind threw the mandible claw on ol' JR back in the day.

Overall, he can go in the ring. He's old enough to understand storytelling and the like and young enough to wrestle just about every night. If he had to, I think he could do Ironman matches without them becoming a set of rest holds.

I'm not the official Punk biographer but as far as I know, he pretty much lives his gimmick. No drunken airplane flights, no DUIs, no 30 day suspensions for drugs. In short, he can be relied upon.

Finally, and this is sort of related to his mic work, he is able to generate tremendous heat as either a face or a heel. In the span of 18 months, he was able to go from being one of the top 3 faces to the top heel in the company. A great deal of credit goes to Jeff Hardy but tonight sort of proved that he doesn't need Hardy to be his foil.

Alas, I don't think Punk will get another push until the WWE suffers another rash of injuries like the slew of wounds that led to Khali being the World Champion. I'll keep holding out hope. Well, not really for the injuries but for another good Punk run.

hmmm.... rumble thoughts:

christian v. jackson

good back and forth. like how christian hit his finisher the third time around. first ecw match i had seen in a few months though, so not sure i am the best one to ask.

mvp v. miz
missed most of this match, but what i saw was good.

orton v. sheamus
good lord was that crowd ever behind randy. not sure if the finish went how it was supposed to as the ref seemed a bit confused, but whatever.

mickie v. mccool

21 seconds

taker v. mysterio
rey did a good job of making taker seem like a monster. the back to back 619 moves were great. kinda a quick finish. also will be quite surprised if taker doesnt have a broken nose.

rumble match
a much different feel from last year. last year they had prolly upwards of 12 - 14 people in the ring at a time, this year i think they maxed out at 6. edge was a pleasant surprise, but not as good as triple h being eliminated mid-match.

[quote name='JJSP']Matt Striker busted out a Ben Grimm reference moments after Punk said "it's clobberin' time!".

I love you, Matt Striker.

HA!

*snip* [/QUOTE]

Matt Striker is one of the best things in present day WWE.

So Edge won the RR? That is B-R-utal. Well, now we know at least one of the title matches at WM will suck. Nerf spear FTW!

Edge is due to add a few new moves to his repertoire.

He seems to like facebuster moves. So the 'Doi 555' (fireman's carry to sit-out face-buster) seems like something he would use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jQ7BC2MzCM

Toss in the 'London Dungeon' (a low intensity move for Edge), a focus on arm attacks, and voila, a whole new Edge.

Or, you know, he could just add more 'kick' to his Spear. :whistle2:#

He could always bring back that Edgecator submission he used last time he was a face

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Striker is the best commentator I've heard in a long time.

I predict that Edge uses his title shot against Taker to avenge his Wrestlemania loss to him a while back but its WWE so they'll probably make it a three way between him, Taker, and Shawn Michaels. So, instead of Shawn ending the streak Edge does it which makes more sense but WWE doesn't always go by what happened in the past.

Knowning WWE they will do something that doesn't make sense for Edge. If he's on RAW I could see him beat Sheamus and bring back the Rated R Superstar spinner belt again.

Now I know I'm too old for wrestling - the most exciting thing for me thus far re: WM26 is that Antonio Inoki is the first HoF inductee this year, and he'll be introduced by Stan "The Lariat" Hansen.

Actually, I think Stu would count as the first inductee since Vince announced it on TV a month ago, and the Inoki deal hasn't been confirmed - it's just something Inoki said, which could either mean something, or absolutely nothing because he's nuts. I hope it's true though, as it'll make 'Mania into an even bigger deal internationally, and lead to Stan Hansen cutting a promo and open up the door for, God willing, 24/7 specials showing his stuff. Well, at least the best stuff that WWE owns, which is still pretty impressive.

Pretty good Rumble card last night - not an all-time great show, but a perfectly fine one that pulled the trigger on the Legacy breakup, made the World title scene more interesting, and made HBK's road to 'Mania more interesting as well.

Christian-Zeke was a good way to start the show off. While it wasn't Christian's best match ever, it was easily Zeke's, and Christian has carved a fine niche out for himself as a guy who can carry anyone to a good match. Having him in the early '90s Steamboat WCW role as a guy who can go up and down the card, believably contend for any title, and have great matches with anyone would be great - he's got 2/3 of that now, all they have to do is move him to a show that matters and have him in the main event mix to really maximize his skill.

Miz-MVP was disappointing. Having it just thrown on the show after being built up for weeks was just stupid - if you're going to do the match anyway after building it up, then announce it and give people another reason to buy the show. The match itself was no great shakes. MVP didn't look good here except for his run of cradle attempts. Miz, on the other hand, came off like a great, wise heel. He used his brain to win by tricking MVP to follow him outside, then inside, then cradled him the second he did. It's been brought up before on commentary about that being a wise move, but never really followed up on in the booking. Here, it was, and I liked that. Didn't like MVP's post-match attack though, as it made him seem like a sore loser, and made Miz look weak, so no one really gained anything from it.

Sheamus-Orton was technically fine, but didn't do anything for me as a match. These two just don't have chemistry together. The crowd going nuts for Orton ruled - they popped huge when he hit the elevated DDT. The DQ ending seemed a bit cheap, but was executed very well and having the ref not call for the bell immediately was explained by having him scold Cody and then not informing Orton of the DQ until he made the cover also made sense because he was busy with Cody and wouldn't stop talking to him until Cody left. The post-match attack from Orton onto Cody was great, and I liked that Sheamus didn't wind up looking like a weak champion here by having him take out Orton after the attack on Cody.

Mickie beating Michelle in next to no time was a great way to hopefully end this God-awful feud. The right person won, but the road taken to get to that victory was embarrassing, and the pre-match video package A - took too long, and B - reiterated why this was such a Wrestlecrap-ish feud. I did however love them bringing back the wacky Fake Rosie music from a few years ago - that was hilarious.

Rey-Taker was about as good a match as could be expected given 'Taker's glacial pace during it. He's apparently recovering from knee surgery, which explains his slow movement, but it was sad to see him out here in that kind of state. It actually made me wish they don't go forward with HBK-Taker as it doesn't seem like there's anyway possible he can physically do what he did then. 'Taker bleeding from his busted up nose made this match seem more special than it did going in, as did them not stopping it to awkwardly stop the bleeding. He also seemed even tougher due to it. Rey's back to back 619s were nicely done, and they at least found a remotely believable reason for 'Taker to be stuck in that goofy position twice. The last ride off the flying seated senton attempt looked awesome - not as great as the superkick off of it on SD, but still pretty cool. Striker's fun facts are becoming almost as amusing as WWE's - his statement of Dusty being the last man to win the World Heavyweight Title in Atlanta had me rolling since he, the "wrestling nerd", forgot about Hogan-Goldberg, one of the biggest matches in the past 15 years and one of the most historic in wrestling's last boom period. I understand that neither guy is in the company, so just say "since 1998" - that works and still makes a title change seem like a huge deal

The Rumble match itself was awesome and highlight-filled, but didn't have the drama of the best Rumbles ever. It also felt a little too short. Punk's AWESOME stuff early on was my favorite part of the match. He came off as such a huge deal eliminating guys, preaching, eliminating more guys, and then getting foiled in the end. I loved him trying to convert Khali only to get Khali Chop'd. Beth eliminating Khali was another great little surprise. After that, HBK's elimination of HHH was good, and I liked the backcracker chain. Yoshi mixing it up with HBK ruled, and man does Tatsu's new Steamboat-inspired gear look awesome. It's even better-looking than his Misawa-esque stuff. R-Truth's elimination of Henry and Show was a pleasant surprise - hopefully they give him a serious push again after this and the Jericho win since he's got some major momentum now IF they build on it. Swagger was given a chance to shine by hitting the pump splash on Cena and HBK - which almost makes up for him being treated like an even bigger joke than Santino on Raw for the past month. Kofi's elimination of him and especially R-Truth looked impressive, which should also help him recover to some degree of being depushed again if they bother to replay it. Edge's return wasn't a big surprise since it's been rumored for weeks, but I'm glad he won it. It's about the only major thing he hadn't done before, so it was nice to see him accomplish that. Having him eliminate Jericho was good, although I was hoping it would be a longer battle between them. HBK's corkscrew flying elbow on Batista looked awesome, as did his apron superkick to Edge that saved Edge, but cost HBK when Batista awkwardly attacked him off the apron. It would've looked fine if HBK had taken the bump from Batista's first attack, but the subsequent ones looked poor and made the elimination look clunky. His post-elimination attack was great and furthered his desire to have a match with 'Taker. I also loved the regret he showed after superkicking Robinson. Edge and Cena being the final two was an awesome way to add something to their long-running feud that began four years ago in January, but Edge's elimination of him, like Jericho, came a little too quickly. I hope Edge didn't come back too quickly, and if he did, I hope WWE gives him a very light schedule until 'Mania. Cena came back too soon for his big Rumble surprise in '08, and he hasn't been the same since. He's been more injury prone and his match quality has suffered greatly. Edge is far more injury-prone than Cena as it is, and this is apparently the kind of injury that can easily affect him permanently if he doesn't let it heal now.

On a sad note, the legendary Jack Brisco, renowned for being one of the best technical wrestlers of his era and a former NWA World champion and WWE Hall of Famer, passed away. Given the latter fact, I'd expect WWE to do a video tribute for him at some point in the week. Plus, his brother still works with the company in some capacity.

Angelo Poffo's health is also failing -
Hogan said he'd love to have Randy Savage come in. Don't think that one is happening either as Savage is spending a lot of time caring for his father Angelo, who isn't in the best of health, plus he looks literally nothing like the Macho Man of old these days.

This sounds amazing -
Kevin Nash and April Hunter, a fitness model turned wrestler, shot a sex scene this week for an upcoming indy film called Ultimate Death Match III. That should be something else. April said he was a complete professional. Guess that means he didn't go into business for himself. Abyss, Shane Douglas, Tommy Dreamer, Al Snow and others are also involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully Inoki slaps someone.

There's a rumor floating around that the WWE has signed Joey Mercury once again with plans to put him on Smackdown. Anyone heard anything more on that?

[quote name='Beth Phoenix, post Rumble']“I am WWE’s Glamazon. Chyna was WWE’s Ninth Wonder of the World … mostly called so because people wondered whether she was a man or a woman. I often wonder this, myself.”[/QUOTE]

Catfight!

There's a rumor floating around that the WWE has signed Joey Mercury once again with plans to put him on Smackdown. Anyone seen anything on this?

[quote name='JJSP']Hopefully Inoki slaps someone.

There's a rumor floating around that the WWE has signed Joey Mercury once again with plans to put him on Smackdown. Anyone heard anything more on that?

Catfight![/QUOTE]

The 1-2-3 Kid could tell us for sure on that one. Am I alone in thinking that Beth Phoenix is attractive?

bread's done
Back