The Dwayne Johnson Appreciation (Wrestling) Thread

Not much news today, as WWE's rather cold No Mercy show is the day's only major wrestling event. The ratings still aren't in for the SD debut on MNTV. The funniest part of today's news update is definitely "TNA did a better job of building this show than WWE did this week", which is largely true - it came off as "just another show" over the past week of TV, with the WWE Title match seeming like a formality, and the once-great World title feud being greatly damaged due to by-the-numbers booking.
http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/6966/

I might as well post my NM predictions -

WWE Title match - HHH vs. Jeff Hardy - HHH retains leading to a 3-way at Cyber Sunday with him, Jeff, and Kozlov. I could also see WWE giving Hardy the belt leading to the three way so they could take it off him quickly, but I wouldn't bank on it - I'd say it's about 70/30 that HHH retains tonight.

World title match - Jericho vs. HBK - Jericho wins via some sort of fluke, possibly due to Cade's interference, to keep his vulnerable character alive. While I think Jericho's great at this act, Santino's basically doing the same one as IC champion, and I'd like to see Jericho be treated as a bigger threat than he is. Tonight would be a good way to do that, but I think they'll go with some sort of "HBK WAS ROBBED!~" ending to set up a fans pick the stip match between them at CS.

Batista vs. JBL - Batista wins leading to a shot "at some point in the future". I think they'll save Batista-Jericho for Survivor Series, as that's a fresher match right now than HBK vs. Jericho, and SurSer is a bigger show than either this or CS.

ECW Title - Matt Hardy vs. Mark Henry - WWE's doing a fairly bad job of building this up, but since Matt lost on SD, I think he'll win tonight.

Undertaker vs. Big Show - This feud's got nothing going for it right now, and with 'Taker being injured, I hope they keep this short. I wouldn't be surprised to see 'Taker "win" this with the gogoplata only to have the decision overturned on SD and leading to yet another 'Taker-Show match at CS with some sort of stip involving Vickie. Maybe they'll do the deal where she's in a cage 10 feet above the ring.

Women's title - Beth Phoenix vs. Candice - Beth wins to keep Glamarella strong. Hopefully Candice just...never contends for this title again until she's back to not being absolutely awful in the ring.

Rey vs. Kane - Rey wins to end this stagnant feud, possibly leading to Kane going on a rampage on Raw as a result while Rey and Bourne (hopefully) wind up with a tag title run at some point in the future.

Rather cold No Mercy show? It looks like a great card on paper.

My predictions:

Matt Hardy
Beth Phoenix
Rey Mysterio
The Big Show
Batista
Chris Jericho
I want to say Jeff Hardy.

With Hardy/HHH, it depends on placement. The ladder match will be the best match, but if Hardy's winning, his match should go on last. If not, ladder match goes last. If Jeff is getting the belt, I'd place the ladder match 3rd to last with the Women's title match in between.

[quote name='Brak']I was just giving you a dose of your own obnoxious medicine. :cool:[/quote]

Heh.

[quote name='Demolition Man']You forgot to capitolize G at the beginning of "Good."[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Genocidal']The word is capitalize.[/quote]

This is fun. I'm next!

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Not much news today, as WWE's rather cold No Mercy show is the day's only major wrestling event. The ratings still aren't in for the SD debut on MNTV. The funniest part of today's news update is definitely "TNA did a better job of building this show than WWE did this week", which is largely true - it came off as "just another show" over the past week of TV, with the WWE Title match seeming like a formality, and the once-great World title feud being greatly damaged due to by-the-numbers booking.
http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/6966/

I might as well post my NM predictions -

WWE Title match - HHH vs. Jeff Hardy - HHH retains leading to a 3-way at Cyber Sunday with him, Jeff, and Kozlov. I could also see WWE giving Hardy the belt leading to the three way so they could take it off him quickly, but I wouldn't bank on it - I'd say it's about 70/30 that HHH retains tonight.

World title match - Jericho vs. HBK - Jericho wins via some sort of fluke, possibly due to Cade's interference, to keep his vulnerable character alive. While I think Jericho's great at this act, Santino's basically doing the same one as IC champion, and I'd like to see Jericho be treated as a bigger threat than he is. Tonight would be a good way to do that, but I think they'll go with some sort of "HBK WAS ROBBED!~" ending to set up a fans pick the stip match between them at CS.

Batista vs. JBL - Batista wins leading to a shot "at some point in the future". I think they'll save Batista-Jericho for Survivor Series, as that's a fresher match right now than HBK vs. Jericho, and SurSer is a bigger show than either this or CS.

ECW Title - Matt Hardy vs. Mark Henry - WWE's doing a fairly bad job of building this up, but since Matt lost on SD, I think he'll win tonight.

Undertaker vs. Big Show - This feud's got nothing going for it right now, and with 'Taker being injured, I hope they keep this short. I wouldn't be surprised to see 'Taker "win" this with the gogoplata only to have the decision overturned on SD and leading to yet another 'Taker-Show match at CS with some sort of stip involving Vickie. Maybe they'll do the deal where she's in a cage 10 feet above the ring.

Women's title - Beth Phoenix vs. Candice - Beth wins to keep Glamarella strong. Hopefully Candice just...never contends for this title again until she's back to not being absolutely awful in the ring.

Rey vs. Kane - Rey wins to end this stagnant feud, possibly leading to Kane going on a rampage on Raw as a result while Rey and Bourne (hopefully) wind up with a tag title run at some point in the future.[/quote]

Spot-on. While I think the finishes may end up different, I agree with the winners.

"Hopefully Candice just...never contends for this title again until she's back to not being absolutely awful in the ring."

So we'll never see Candice vie for the Women's title again, aye? ;)

*rejoices*

I jest. I think. Perhaps.

Maybe.

Maybe not. :whistle2:#

Praise Allah!

Edit: I dig how the outer-mask has become a standard for Rey Jr.---especially since it reminds me of La Parka. :mrgreen:

I was on the phone during the first 2 matches and didn't get to pay as much attention as I'd have liked, but the match results were desirable, anyway.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I was in the middle of texting someone just now when Orton's music hit and I subconsciously typed out "I had a feeling you in my head" :lol:[/quote]

:rofl:

That is hilarious. Ha!

---

"Swashbuckling" - Michael Cole

Cole has a new, favorite adjective.

Edit:

CM Punk and Kofi are dicks. :nottalking::nottalking:

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Yeah that would have been great.[/quote]

Indeed. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Purple Flames']Glad to see they kept 'tista/JBL short.[/quote]

Indeed. :D

---

And keep politics out of pro-wrestling, WWE. kthxbi

You know, I certainly enjoyed that promo more than I would have enjoyed the match continuing, so that's something.

Also, any reason to trot out Sarge is a good reason.

I have no hope for the UT/Show match, based simply on the reports that Taker's knees are still in real bad shape.

I can't believe I actually thought Jeff Hardy was going to win. I knew it was too good to be true. (And I don't like Jeff Hardy by any means.)

[quote name='JJSP']Is it wrong if I sometimes hope for Trips to tear a quad again?[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with hope. ;)

---

Did I just hear "Stunner! Stunner!" from JR?! :rofl:?

Wow.

I'm not even a big Hardy fan, but HHH might as well have just dickslapped him in the middle of the ring. Just... literally whipped it out and slapped him with it.

If they weren't going to have Jeff win, they should've just gone with A fuck finish with Vladimir Kozlov interfering.

... Speak of the devil.

[quote name='007']Wow.

I'm not even a big Hardy fan, but HHH might as well have just dickslapped him in the middle of the ring. Just... literally whipped it out and slapped him with it.

I don't even see the point of that ending, aside from making HHH look invincible (which, I guess, *was* the point).[/quote]

After a pretty good match, Triple H made Jeff Hardy look pretty weak and useless.

I know they want to transition into Kozlov/Triple H, but at least make it a more clean, less cheesy finish. I am not even a Jeff Hardy fan and I thought it was shredded cheddar.

Michael Cole can barely handle regular phrases, and we go ahead and throw something like 'Moscow Mauler' at him? That's a bit cruel. ;)

[quote name='Purple Flames']Damn that table spot was scary.[/quote]

Yep. Did the table even break their fall? Goodness.

bread's done
Back