The Dwayne Johnson Appreciation (Wrestling) Thread

So was Virgil, who got an ungodly pop for winning the Million Dollar non-Championship at Summerslam '91.

Some hilarious Poffo ICW ads -
THE SUPER GRUDGE MATCH MAIN EVENT OF THE YEAR...with Lanny Poffo... Perhaps I've been a bit harsh on TNA for billing Angle-Joe as the match of the decade. -

...and an ad for the BLACK LADY CHAMPION, a notice that a "tropy" will be award to the winner of the wrestling bear match, and that Walter Johnson will be the "Special Reference" for the main event. Do you think that reference would work for a job interview? Oh, and "Doorknob Nixon" is a glorious name.

A funny rib story about Randy Savage in ICW -
http://www.infinitecore.com/superstar/index.php?threadid=41571

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brak']David Flair wasn't as bad as Mongo.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to come up with someone worse than David Flair but I'm blanking. I guess Jerry Only could be argued but he was more of a celebrity with an extended run than an actual wrestler like Flair was supposed to be - plus Jerry had that hilariously spectacular cross body from the top rope onto Steve Williams in that cage match.

The best thing David Flair ever did was take that beating from the Undertaker prior to WM 18. "You got a little brother...naw, you have a SISTER, don'tcha?" I enjoyed the Crowbar/Flair/Daffney stuff somewhat in WCW, but it's not like that was due to any in-ring stuff.

Is anybody looking forward to watching smackdown on MyNetwork tv tonight. They have a live viewing at this bar not too far from me i might go to that

I didn't watch it, but it was apparently just music videos of WM stuff - about what I expected since it always just had a one hour runtime and there was no way on Earth they were going to put even one full match in that timeslot.

I was initially disappointed that I missed the WM24 thing. Now I'm relieved. They made it sound like they were going to play the whole thing. I was tempted to tape it but that would've been a mistake.

I've been getting back into Firepro Returns. I got one of the new PS2s and hooked it up via S-Video to an older TV I had sitting in the basement. It is so nice to play it without any lag. I just had a grueling match of D'Lo Brown and Dean Malenko vs. Great Sasuke and Magnum Tokyo. Shit just went on and on. I finally dumped Sasuke on his head three times in a row with D'Lo, hit a Mad Splash and rolled him over for the pin at around 28 minutes (game time, not real time). Still the best wrestling game ever made.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm trying to come up with someone worse than David Flair but I'm blanking. I guess Jerry Only could be argued but he was more of a celebrity with an extended run than an actual wrestler like Flair was supposed to be - plus Jerry had that hilariously spectacular cross body from the top rope onto Steve Williams in that cage match.

The best thing David Flair ever did was take that beating from the Undertaker prior to WM 18. "You got a little brother...naw, you have a SISTER, don'tcha?" I enjoyed the Crowbar/Flair/Daffney stuff somewhat in WCW, but it's not like that was due to any in-ring stuff.[/quote]

The only impressive thing David Flair ever did was nail Stacy Kiebler.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only impressive thing David Flair ever did was nail Stacy Kiebler.[/quote]

Concurred. David Flair reminds me of Candice Michelle. He may try, but his work is still sloppy and ugly. Well, at least what I saw of him in WCW.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only impressive thing David Flair ever did was nail Stacy Kiebler.[/QUOTE]

That chick banged David Flair and Test. The way she looks...she must have some weird self-esteem issues. I guess it's possible that Flair has an "amazing personality" or whatever, but by all accounts Test is a fucking asshole and he looks like cartoon horse.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']Is anybody looking forward to watching smackdown on MyNetwork tv tonight. They have a live viewing at this bar not too far from me i might go to that[/QUOTE]It's always fun when you get to watch wrestling in a bar-type of environment, so I'd say you may as well go for it! Honestly, the most fun I've had WATCHING wrestling in the last five years was when I saw No Way Out 2004 at a Hooters with some friends. The whole place marked out like crazy when Eddie won the WWE title... it really was quite the moment! I mean I doubt you'll get anything as significant this week on Smackdown, but I'm just saying it's a fun type of environment to watch wrestling in.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That chick banged David Flair and Test. The way she looks...she must have some weird self-esteem issues. I guess it's possible that Flair has an "amazing personality" or whatever, but by all accounts Test is a fucking asshole and he looks like cartoon horse.[/quote]

:rofl:

Poor Lance Hoyt.

IC title set match listing -
Disc 1 – 1980s

Todd Grisham – The Inaugural Champion

WWE Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship Match
Pat Patterson vs. Ted DiBiase
Madison Square Garden October 22, 1979

Todd Grisham – Olympic Strongman vs. The Fiery Latino

Ken Patera vs. Pedro Morales
Madison Square Garden October 20, 1980

Todd Grisham – Knockdown Drag out Fight

Pedro Morales vs. The Magnificent Muraco
Madison Square Garden December 28, 1982

Todd Grisham – The Super Splash

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship
The Magnificent Muraco vs. Jimmy ‘Superfly’ Snuka
Madison Square Garden October 17, 1983

Todd Grisham – Arriba! & The Hammer

Lumberjack Match for the WWE Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship
Greg Valentine vs. Tito Santana
Madison Square Garden March 17, 1985

Todd Grisham – Enter the Macho Man

Tito Santana vs. Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage
Boston Garden February 8, 1986

Todd Grisham – The Greatest Ever[/i]

Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage vs. Ricky ‘the Dragon’ Steamboat
WrestleMania III March 29, 1987

Todd Grisham – The Guitar Playing Antagonist

Ricky ‘the Dragon’ Steamboat vs. Honky Tonk Man
SuperStars June 2, 1987

Todd Grisham – End of an Era

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Honky Tonk Man vs. Ultimate Warrior
SummerSlam August 29, 1988

Todd Grisham – The Ladies Man

Ravishing Rick Rude vs. Ultimate Warrior
SummerSlam August 28, 1989

Disc 2 – 1990s

Todd Grisham – The Perfect Champion

Mr. Perfect vs. Bret ‘Hit Man’ Hart
SummerSlam August 26, 1991

Todd Grisham – Divided Loyalties

Bret ‘Hit Man’ Hart vs. British Bulldog
SummerSlam August 29, 1992

Todd Grisham – Stealing the Show

Ladder Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels
WrestleMania X March 20, 1994

Todd Grisham – Believing in Yourself

Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett
Royal Rumble January 22, 1995

Todd Grisham – One of the Greatest Rivalries in History

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Rocky Maivia
In Your House: D-Generation X December 7, 1997

Todd Grisham – A New Level of Popularity

2 out of 3 Falls for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Triple H vs. The Rock
In Your House: Fully Loaded July 26, 1998

Todd Grisham – The Ninth Wonder of the World

Good Housekeeping Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Jeff Jarrett vs. Chyna
No Mercy October 17, 1999

Disc 3 – 2000s

Todd Grisham – The New Millennium

Chris Jericho vs. Kurt Angle
No Way Out February 27, 2000

Todd Grisham – 3 Is Better Than 2

Triple Threat Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Jericho vs. X-Pac
SmackDown! October 12, 2000

Todd Grisham – David vs. Goliath

Triple H vs. Jeff Hardy
SmackDown! April 12, 2001

Todd Grisham – The Unification

WWE Intercontinental vs. European Championship Ladder Match
Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy
RAW July 22, 2002

Todd Grisham - Battle of the Young Guns

Randy Orton vs. Edge
Vengeance July 11, 2004

Todd Grisham – Former World Champions Collide

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Ric Flair vs. Triple H
Taboo Tuesday November 1, 2005

Todd Grisham – Winner Takes All

Money in the Bank & WWE Intercontinental Championship – Winner Takes All
Rob Van Dam vs. Shelton Benjamin
Backlash April 30, 2006

Todd Grisham – Fresh Faces

Triple Threat Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
Shelton Benjamin vs. Carlito vs. Johnny Nitro
Vengeance June 25, 2006

Todd Grisham – One Man Wrecking Crew

Umaga vs. Jeff Hardy
Great American Bash July 22, 2007

Todd Grisham - # 8

Jeff Hardy vs. Chris Jericho
RAW March 10, 2008

Todd Grisham – The Matches Speak for Themselves

The IC title DVD set looks really good - I'm looking forward to seeing Savage-Santana, although I'm a little bummed at how much previous DVD overlap there is on the set, even for older stuff, as both Hennig-Hart and Smith-Hart have been on DVD numerous times, as has Savage-Steamboat from WM III (although at least these are all good enough to warrant owning multiple copies of).

A bunch of TNA notes today. Impact, with Mick Foley's live arena debut, drew a 1.0, and TV ads have HHH on them. There's also stuff about readers realizing how good Vince is at promotion after watching last night's show, which saw WWE's main event roster and Vince's genius get praised. Meanwhile, TNA struggles to sell out THE BIGGEST EVENT OF THE YEAR! - http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/6949/

More Impact screens -

Shelley prepares for his next push in TNA

[quote name='BustaUppa']It's always fun when you get to watch wrestling in a bar-type of environment, so I'd say you may as well go for it! Honestly, the most fun I've had WATCHING wrestling in the last five years was when I saw No Way Out 2004 at a Hooters with some friends. The whole place marked out like crazy when Eddie won the WWE title... it really was quite the moment! I mean I doubt you'll get anything as significant this week on Smackdown, but I'm just saying it's a fun type of environment to watch wrestling in.[/quote]

I saw WMXX at a Hooter's. When Benoit put HHH in the crippler crossface the whole place went absolutely apeshit. Easily the most fun I've had watching wrestling at a restaurant. Oh yeah, Larry Zbyszko, Raven and Glacier were there too.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That chick banged David Flair and Test. The way she looks...she must have some weird self-esteem issues. I guess it's possible that Flair has an "amazing personality" or whatever, but by all accounts Test is a fucking asshole and he looks like cartoon horse.[/quote]

In the case of David Flair it was probably the Flair name. Or maybe she had the thought that the other wrestlers would cheat on her, but David would be so wowed that he would remain faithful.

I have to hand it to Test though. He may have the skill of slidecage in the art of the written word, but he nailed Stacy Kiebler and is dating Kelly Kelly. Not bad at all.

Ah! Thanks for the listing, Jay. Santana/Savage '86 is good soup. I look forward to hearing Ventura refer to Tito as "Chico." :lol: Though I wish they included Perfect/Santana from SNME '90.

Jay, you posted the same flyer twice.

[quote name='guyver2077']did anyone watch wm24 last night.. wondering how much footage they cut out.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see it, but it's airing before Smackdown tonight.

That reminds me, I need to find out just what channel MyNetworkTV is on.

*searches*

Found it! No wait, that's WGN. Okay, I think this is it... Nope, just HSN.

Ah, okay. Found it!

*switches back to WGN*

wat

They're showing Final Destination. :oops:

This show, like last week's, kind of peaked at the beginning, with the largely awesome and highlight-filled 8-man tag and then just kind of meandered along until the main event., which was good, but unspectacular. The 6-man worked well at making Punk look like a star again, and the matching garb for Primo and Carlito looked good. Santino-Shelton peaked at Santino proclaiming himself the champion of planet Earth, as the match itself wasn't very good, and it was annoying to see Shelton get that distracted from the task at hand. Kozlov's show-closing destruction was good once again, but I wish they'd give him a squash match on the PPV since he's been so prevalent on the TV leading up to it yet isn't on the show.

Quotes -
J.R. - WELCOME TO THE FIRST SMACKDOWN ON MYNETWORK TV!
Tazz - That’s one tough son! And one tough leprechaun!
Helms - MVP - SmackDown’s highest paid superstar? We got hosed on that deal - I want my money back.
J.R. - Ezekiel Jackson is THE Brian Kendrick’s “associate” - you can take that as you want.
J.R. - Kendrick and Finlay diametrically opposed with their styles of grappling. Finlay, a third-generation wrestler, a highly-skilled mat wrestler, while Kendrick is a highly-skilled flying wrestler.
J.R. - Former WWE Champion, Batista, looking to become the World champion!
(on Rey-Kendrick)J.R. - I’ve been waiting to see this match for a long time.
Tazz - Look at the welts on Kendrick’s back, and that’s just from dealing with Finlay!
J.R. - The Kendrick with THE dropkick of the match.
J.R. - JBL, the longest-reigning WWE Champion in WWE…SmackDown history!
J.R. - JBL loves JBL and Kane loves to inflict punishment.
J.R. - MVP, the longest-reigning U.S. Champion in history.
J.R. - Batista monster-handles Kane!
Tazz - He’s about to get butt-ugly!
J.R. - WHAT AN 8-MAN TAG HERE ON MYNETWORK TV!
Tazz - Last week, more men viewed SmackDown than any sport on TV!
Show - Chavo, shut up. I’m in charge.
Chavo - Why? I’m a Guerrero! I should be in charge!
Show - Chavo, you got abducted by the Undertaker.
Chavo - Abducted? I WAS KIDNAPPED!
Helms - Santino, the Honky Tonk Man would roll over in his grave if he saw that - he ain’t dead?
Santino - It is really great to be here on SmackDown’s All-Star Kickoff. IN CASE YOU’VE BEEN HIDING UNDER J.R.’S HAT FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF - I’M THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION AND THE MOST FEARED MAN IN WWE! IN CASE YOU DOUBT THESE WORDS, I HAVE NUMBERS TO BACK THEM UP! PUT UP THE HONK-A-METER! HTM was IC champion for 64 weeks. AHA! I HAVE BEEN Intercontinental champion for 6.71 weeks! According to my mathematics, that’s 67.29 weeks until I’m the greatest Intercontinental champion of all the times. Tonight, I’m going to beat the goldy locks - he is merely champion of one country, I am champion of ALL LAND MASSES! SANTINO MARELLA IS CHAMPION OF PLANET EARTH!
Shelton - Shelton takes on Santino - Beth Phoenix’s girlfriend, he doesn’t deserve to stand in the same ring as me. Don’t blink, the Gold Standard is going to demolish you.
J.R. - I love the Honk-a-Meter.
Tazz - Santino’s short a couple of canoles. You got canoles in Oklahoma?
J.R. - No, we got copper.
(after costing Shelton his match)Truth - WHAT’S UP!?
Show - Now Vickie, I know you’re watching, but I want you to rest easy - I’ve got everything under control. You and I and everyone knows why Chavo’s gonna be in action, so that’s why I’ve arranged a very special match to make you feel better.
Tazz - The Great Khali is like a silo!
Show - It’s time for you to be afraid, Dead Man…(the GONG hits and Taker shows up in the ring)
J.R. - A nice Rock ‘n Roll Express-style double dropkick by Carlito and Primo.
(after a DiBiase double foot stomp off the top)J.R. - Million Dollar feet from the son of the Million Dollar Man.
J.R. - Nice overhead backbreaker - Beth’s been watching tapes of Superstar Billy Graham and Bruno Sammartino.
J.R. - Michelle’s version of a Liger kick right to the head.
Tazz - HHH has a seek and destroy attitude like no one else in WWE.

Screens -

*pets pictures of Santino and THEE Brian Kendrick*

*right-clicks, saves-as*

Thanksu, Jay!

I missed Smackdown this week. After seeing those pictures, I wish I had tuned in. I need my THEE Brian Kendrick fix.

At least you get 720p... I now don't get ANY wrestling in HD. :/

I saw No Way Out 2004 at a Hooters with some friends.
Oddly, I was at Hooters watching that PPV, too. No one else in there really gave two shits about it, including my friends.

I saw Foley's TNA promo on youtube. For some reason I just lost all interest in his run in TNA. I'm just not feeling it.

No Mercy is tomorrow? Interesting. I keep forgetting WWE now tosses their PPVs all over the month.

Rey Jr. vs. Kane - Does anyone actually want to see Rey unmasked yet again? I surely don't. However, if he is unmasked, it would allow me to comment on how he looks like a giant baby. I vote Rey, just because we've been here before. Plus, I doubt WWE would want to kill one of their merchandise cash cows.

Beth vs. Candice - When is Kelly Kelly getting her Playboy push? If it's soon, then Beth will retain the title. If it's a long ways away, then I expect Candice to botch her way to a win.

Big Show vs. Undertaker
- The Undertaker never loses. Next match!

Batista vs. JBL - Either way, we lose. Next match!

Matt Hardy vs. Mark Henry - There is no reason for WWE to put the title around Mark Henry yet again. Taking the title away from Matt Hardy so soon would make him look weak.

Nosey McSchnoz vs. The Rainbow fucker - I predict Kozlov interferes resulting in a no contest finish. No contests, disqualifications, and count outs should never be on PPVs, but I think we'll see one here.

Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels - Hopefully, Jericho keeps the title. It would make sense if Jericho retained. I would not mind it if they kept this feud alive and ended it at WrestleMania. Jericho winning would help extend things.

[quote name='Demolition Man']What the..... Santino on Smackdown?

*goes off to watch*[/QUOTE]

For those that missed Santino from Smackdown here is a video of the match.
About 1:40 in why does he say that he has been champ 6.71 weeks
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZkt68i9cYs[/media]

[quote name='cdeener']About 1:40 in why does he say that he has been champ 6.71 weeks[/quote]

Because SmackDown is on Friday (even though it's taped on Tuesday) and it's not Monday night so it's not an even number.. I guess he counts his win on Mondays instead of Sunday nights.

They're probably going to have Santino come up one notch shy of beating the record.

Edit the video out of your post, Scorch.

[quote name='Brak']Edit the video out of your post, Scorch.[/quote]

good lord, give me time to check the page again. I edited it out. That's a pretty weird bug.

I was just giving you a dose of your own obnoxious medicine. :cool:

[quote name='Scorch']good lord, give me time to check the page again. I edited it out. That's a pretty weird bug.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to capitolize G at the beginning of "Good."

[quote name='Demolition Man']You forgot to capitolize G at the beginning of "Good."[/quote]
The word is capitalize.

I'm expecting a fatal four-way as the next SmackDown PPV main event, HHH vs Hardy vs Show vs Kozlov. As for this PPV? Nothing that really catches my interest.

[quote name='Nex Antonius']God, I hope he surpasses the record.[/quote]

I would love for Santino to hold the record. Love. However, he's a comedy character, and I have no doubt that he will lose the IC title one day or week shy of beating Honky Tonk's record. I imagine Honky Tonk will make an appearance and possibly lay out Santino with the Guitar McHeadsmash. I will say, "Oh no!" But I will be laughing, as it will be a great moment. :D

bread's done
Back