The Dwayne Johnson Appreciation (Wrestling) Thread

LOL, Khali and the kiss cam was great.

So is the Cyber Sunday voting text only? It'll be beyond stupid if we can't vote on WWE.com.

And while it would be cool to see Santino vs. the Honky Tonk Man (ideally much later into Santino's reign), we all know Piper will win the vote.

[quote name='Matt Young']So is the Cyber Sunday voting text only? It'll be beyond stupid if we can't vote on WWE.com.[/quote]

Well, think about it. A dollar per text. Most people are just like "meh, it's a dollar". WWE sees it as a way to increase revenue at virtually no expense by a couple of million dollars. It's a smart move, but it still sucks.

The problem with Miz and Morrisson is that they're making Cryme Tyme look like chumps because they're totally right and CT only had one good line in the "bedazzler" comment. Brilliant otherwise.

[quote name='Scorch']Well, think about it. A dollar per text. Most people are just like "meh, it's a dollar". WWE sees it as a way to increase revenue at virtually no expense by a couple of million dollars. It's a smart move, but it still sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but does WWE even get revenue from the texts?

That match was terrible, but the commentary more than made up for it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Orton is on commentary for this match. Awesome![/quote]

Indeed!

Shame he isn't saying anything, as of now. :whistle2:(

Edit: Dusty finish in the making.

Edit: I like Adamle. He's a nice neutral character.

If Austin is selected, I think Jericho may lose the title. :whistle2:(

If Honky Tonk is selected, I think Santino may lose the title. :whistle2:(

dam yo

Well, they've gotta find some way for this show to make money since it always bombs, so pay-only voting would make sense. It's a dick move for a BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY, but a smart one. TNA, on the other hand, charging $35 for BFG, is a stupid one since their shows already do horrid numbers.

[quote name='007']Wow.

I'm not even a big Hardy fan, but HHH might as well have just dickslapped him in the middle of the ring. Just... literally whipped it out and slapped him with it.[/QUOTE]Heh, well I wouldn't go THAT far with the analogy. To be fair, HHH was laying there like he was half-dead as soon as the referee landed the 3-count. It was like he had summoned up his final ounce of strength to pull Hardy over for that cradle pin. Now if he had just popped up and started flexing and spitting water as soon as his music hit, THEN we'd have a legit no-sell on our hands...

[quote name='massermind19']I don't remember WWE charging for votes on cyber sunday last year. I hope that internet voting will still be allowed.[/QUOTE]

If they continue to allow for good voting options, like with the IC match, it's moot. Not that I'm dumb enough to pay to vote, but, y'know.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Deleted scenes from the Flair shoot. He discusses the legendary Wahoo McDaniel, his thoughts on Cena, and how the present-day roster's great work ethic compares to guys from the '70s.

[snip][/quote]

When does that shoot interview come out on DVD?

*checks*

November 2008. There's a 3-disc regular set and a 4-disc special edition set. I will get this eventually. My interest is piqued after watching the cut footage. :D

www.sendspace.com is also a good video upload place, as is www.sharebee.com ,which includes links to other sites (very handy for backing up files in case one site nixes your file, there's still a chance it'll be on the other one).

ECW was good this week. The opener was solid, if forgettable, the Noble skit was awesome from beginning to end, Noble-Henry made Henry out to be a world-beater (and featured a reference to Dean Malenko), while the main event was really good, if also forgettable like the opener. Of course, Striker and Grisham continues to rule - Striker was on fire all night, but Grisham topped him for once with the "THE JAMIACAN'S GETTING HIGH!". These two work well together, and they're usually my favorite weekly commentary team (although J.R. and Tazz are also quite good, they don't mesh as well as these two).

Quotes -
Striker - This is an exponential increase in competition.
Grisham - Do you think Swagger has earned the right to have a smile that wide?
Striker - We’ll find out.
Striker - When you think of great teams that have different styles, you think of Haku and Andre the Giant.
Striker - Hornswoggle poking his head out like a little turd trying to cheer on Tommy Dreamer.
Grisham - Like a what?
Striker - Cheer on Tommy Dreamer.
Striker - MY WATER BOTTLE IS SHAKING DUE TO THE CHEERING FROM THE CROWD!
Noble - Trick or treat! Hey playa! I’m dressed as the greatest wrestler of all-time!
Tiffany - SHAWN MICHAELS!?
Noble - I’M NOT DRESSED AS SHAWN MICHAELS!
Striker - Text HONKY if you’d like to see the Honky Tonk Man face Santino - only 99 cents, and you can vote 10 times. Todd, put your phone away - do that after the show.
Striker - Noble reminds me of Dean Malenko, and he’s presently feuding with Lord William Regal on Raw. Mark Henry threw away a perfect good candy bag - there could’ve been Malomars in there!
Grisham - Mark Henry says he’ll snack on Noble - will he taste like Spinach dip!?
Striker - HOW DO I FOLLOW THAT!?
Striker - WWE is the only sport that doesn’t publish its injury reports. The WWE athletes are the greatest in the world today!
Striker - LOOK ACHA, YOU GOT YOUR BEADY LITTLE…. I know who I‘m voting for!
Grisham - Shawn Michaels?
Striker - At Backlash ‘07, John Morrison beat Punk to become the ECW Champion.
Striker - Todd, I heard that you didn’t think Sa-moans could talk until Manu had a few choice words for you earlier today.
Grisham - That’s a fabricated story and completely untrue!
Striker - That’s was fabricated means…
Striker - Punk went from wrestling Matt Striker on ECW to becoming World Heavyweight champion - truly, anything can happen!
(after Kofi dives to the floor)Grisham - THE JAMAICAN IS GETTING HIGH!

Screens -

The first episode of the new-age FCW's TV show is online (after it taking forever to find ANY stations willing to broadcast it) and I thought it was largely good. It was very wrestling-centric (as expected, and as it should be), and just about everyone on the show looked good. TJ Wilson came off great, as did Jack SWAGGAAAAAA! Flair's promo was really good - relating the present day development system to how he got his start. It was great to hear Dusty back on commentary, and he worked well with Grisham. I'm perfectly fine with WWE treating this as the continuation of Championship Wrestling From Florida, as it leads to clips from that legendary promotion airing weekly in 2008 and it's pretty fitting since Dusty was one of the CWF's biggest drawing cards, and is now here as the color commentator.

One thing that impressed me compared to OVW's production as a WWE developmental group (or just about any other group period) is just how high-class the production values are - this doesn't have a drab look like one might expect because it's developmental. It looks like a slickly-produced WWE product featuring the young guys, and the only visual qualm I have with it is all the PPV posters around the venue - it reminds me too much of the training center on Tough Enough being FILLED with them, which I thought looked tacky. I think they'd look much better if they were just the BG images themselves without the PPV names and dates on them.

Here's the first new-age FCW episode -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZEZB2Q8R

...and Tammy Sytch and Francine's "Face Off" shoot video -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9W6G9IMR

If anyone hasn't picked up Jericho's book, do so now - it's in paper for about $8, and is one of the best wrestling books ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sporadic']Jesus, 13 hours included with the special edition? That almost seems like too much.[/quote]

Gotta wonder just what they talk about. A content listing would be phenomenal.

Matt Striker needs to be promoted to Raw and replace Michael Cole. I dig the way he explains why things happen in the ring (how he said Swagger was able to hold Dreamer because of the strength and technique he acquired as an amateur wrestler) and obscure references he works into his commentary. Gotta wonder if he's being fed lines. If so, gotta wonder who's doing the feeding.

Cole is a grade-A, top of the line asskisser. He isn't going anywhere, much to the chagrin of those with the ability to hear.

Just watched ECW. Striker's Austin impersonation was spot on. I couldn't believe WWE allowed Grisham to say, "The Jamaican's getting high!" followed by Striker's B.C. kush line. All that after Striker made a comment of Kofi's locker smelling like a high school art teacher. So many stereotypical Jamaican weed smoker references.

There has been some second-guessing on the Raw side as of late because they're putting more effort into the characters of Santino Marella and Charlie Haas than anyone else. While both do a good job with their respective characters, neither are big ratings movers nor tapped to generate real money for the company in the future.

Oh no. Everyone go buy a Santino shirt!

[quote name='lmz00']Oh no. Everyone go buy a Santino shirt![/QUOTE]

Oh that is good, we can't have anyone besides Cena, Batista, and Orton developing a strong character on Raw. I wanted to fucking vomit when I turned on RAW Monday and Batista was the #1 contender (again).

Batista is staler than HHH or Cena, imo. He hasn't had a character that didn't revolve around nothing more than wanting the title for as long I can remember (save the month or so he feuded with HBK to transition into HBk-Jericho).

The only good thing about Batista IMO is his entrance. I like that machine gun thing he does.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Can I ask why you think Batista is staler than HHH?[/quote]
Triple H at one point had a gimmick as well as a reason to hate the guy. Batista's entire character revolves around the "big meathead who wants the belt" gimmick.

Dave Batista is the Latino Matt Morgan.

I don't think Batista is stale, but I also don't think I'd notice for at least three months if he left wrestling altogether starting tomorrow.

So not stale, but perhaps invisible.

[quote name='JJSP']Triple H at one point had a gimmick as well as a reason to hate the guy. Batista's entire character revolves around the "big meathead who wants the belt" gimmick.

Dave Batista is the Latino Matt Morgan.[/quote]

True. Stale implies that he was fresh at some point.

[quote name='Blackout']The only good thing about Batista IMO is his entrance. I like that machine gun thing he does.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its great until you are sitting 10 feet away from the pyro when its going off. Between the huge amount of heat coming from those pyros along with the absurd loudness from them... I'm amazed that the WWE gets legal clearance to use those.

And in other news...

http://www.ctemploymentlawblog.com/uploads/file/contractwwe1.pdf

I've finally dumped the pictures I took at RAW last week to my PC. Here's one shot that I really find... amusing. For multiple reasons.

Okay I'll add a few more to this post.....

I can't remember his name but he keeps telling it to us... yeah, he wrestled the dark match against D'Lo.

The Miz and Morrison's entrance.

Lord Regal and Layla.

DX.

Sadly most of my shots didn't end up as good as I wanted them. Its hard to take a picture when you are a bit farback but I did my best to get a few decent shots.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Yeah its great until you are sitting 10 feet away from the pyro when its going off. Between the huge amount of heat coming from those pyros along with the absurd loudness from them... I'm amazed that the WWE gets legal clearance to use those.
[/quote]

I could see how that sucks. :D Some of the fireworks they use can get a little crazy. I wouldn't want to be near those things.

bread's done
Back