The Dwayne Johnson Appreciation (Wrestling) Thread

[quote name='KaneRobot']Can I ask why you think Batista is staler than HHH?[/quote]
The only 'gimmick' I can remember Batista having for the past few years is pissed off guy who wants 'his' belt back. Sure, that works for a couple months when you're coming back from injury, but it's worn out for me. At least HHH in his latest mini-feud with Jeff Hardy didn't play the "cool, better than everyone" face, and instead mixed it up a bit with the "I respect you, now give me your best so I can prove I deserve this belt" angle. It also doesn't help that I've never really liked Batista as a performer.

I'm not disagreeing that Batista is stale, but HHH is a fucking plague. A black hole that sucks up all interesting things around him. At least Batista can do a believable promo once in a while, HHH just smarms it up and shits on who he sees fit, all while being as boring as possible.

At least HHH in his latest mini-feud with Jeff Hardy didn't play the "cool, better than everyone" face

Making jokes about the doctor being on the phone for Jeff doesn't exactly strike me as not pretending to be "cool" and "better than everyone." Not only that, he finds ways to bury OTHER guys along the way not even really involved with the feud at the time (Kendrick, MVP).

20081008-hardy-kid.jpg

No words can express how hard I laughed at this.

[quote name='Blackout']The only good thing about Batista IMO is his entrance. I like that machine gun thing he does.[/quote]

His theme and entrance are totally badass IMO.

[quote name='lmz00']Oh no. Everyone go buy a Santino shirt![/quote]

I will buy as much is necessary to keep the Honk-a-Meter alive. :whistle2:(

I always thought his weird gatling-gun posture was cor-nay.

And that's coming from someone who always dug the dorky poses wrestlers make to identify themselves.

SELF-HIGH-FIVE! (which always sounded like a euphemism for masturbation, IMO).

"Bang!"

I loved DDP. :whistle2:( When I think of DDP, I think of him in the crowd, with rib tape, holding up his Diamond Cutter hand gesture in a sea of fans also holding up the same hand gesture. That, and watching DDP pull off some neat variations of the Diamond Cutter on Saturday Night. I remember one time he hit it out of a back body drop. It wasn't on Ice Train, though; probably someone like Bunkhouse Buck.

[quote name='mykevermin']I always thought his weird gatling-gun posture was cor-nay.

And that's coming from someone who always dug the dorky poses wrestlers make to identify themselves.

SELF-HIGH-FIVE! (which always sounded like a euphemism for masturbation, IMO).[/quote]

At least it is more fearsome than Triple H spitting "high quality H20", then growling, and spitting another tiny little mist afterwards. :lol:

I'm watching iMPACT right now and wondering is Styles supposed to be a face or a heel? The crowd sure seems to be booing him.

And why the hell did Booker T bring back his King gimmick. Is he the king of africa now , instead of the king of the ring?

About six or so months - ever since Scott Steiner tried to kill/sodomize him numerous times.

Impact thoughts -
This was mostly a very good show - the matches were about as long as they needed to be, with none of them dragging on or seeming too short (despite some being just 3-4 minutes long), and they finally put some emphasis back on the world title match, which I think has been neglected for the past few weeks (especially with it being the culmination in a months-long storyline that has sorta divided the company in two halves). The pull-apart at the end between Joe and Sting was brief, but intense...and wasn't really done justice in the show-closing video package.

Angle-Jarrett was built up fairly well tonight - they didn't reference Angle's incredibly low blow about Jarrett losing his wife (which I think is a good move, but it does make me wonder just why it was thrown into the mix in the first place if it wasn't going to be a key part in the story), and instead showed that theres some mutual respect between them with Jeff giving Kurt back his medal, leading to Angle stating that he'd kill/cripple Jeff at the PPV.

This featured good acting from everyone involved, and Mick held things together well - doing comedy at exactly the right time by nixing it before the serious feud between Angle and Jarrett came to a head in the segment. The Karen's Angle segment was fine - I think Mick's done a great job on the mic so far, but the funniest part of this was the post-script with Tenay noting that "some" things had to be cut in the 2 minute-long interview as 45 MINUTES of material was shot.

The X title match came off as a bit of an afterthought except for Bashir's largely great promo - although I do wish they'd expand upon the "wife and kids" thing he keeps referencing since there's no context to it yet and it's not clear if he's being metaphorical or if "Lady America" actually has cost him his family. The X title match qualifier itself was fine, if a bit hard to follow due to the constant cutting between what was basically two matches happening at once. Dutt's new tattoo is awful, and he and Val don't have much chemistry together.

The knockouts title match also came off as an afterthought, while the tag title match came off as a major event between the Mongo promo selling it as the most hardcore match in the history of the Earth and 3D actually doing a really good job on commentary of trying to get across that every team in the match could conceivably win the belts, and then teasing the return of the flaming table for the bout (which I'm sure Abyss will go through since he's the one whose body will be covered up the most in the match). Still, the thing I'm looking forward the most to in that match is seeing what new beer-related garb Storm will wear before it/use during it.

Booker-AJ was pretty good aside from the commercial break coming just 2 minutes into it, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Cage sorta-heel turn as it wasn't expanded upon, nor was a replay shown of the double-pin scenario. I think he works much better as a heel act, but this came off as rushed because of how TNA executed it - and it's tough to really care about the possible heel turn since so little was done.

I would have much preferred hearing him cut a promo explaining his actions than have Cornette just huff and puff and make yet another last-minute addition to "THE BIGGEST SHOW IN TNA HISTORY" - three matches were added to the card tonight, including one featuring a man who, as stated tonight on commentary, accomplished more than anyone in TNA's history in AJ Styles. They should've spaced these additions out better as they all ended up feeling tacked on.

Thankfully, they did a better job of hyping this match than the Knockouts Bimbo Brawl...with Kip and Rhino. It gives the Beautiful People a PPV payday, but it's a shame to see them thrown into a last-second match with no real build to it, and against Rhaka Kahn as well, who is awful in the ring. Hopefully she does less than anyone else in this match as she's easily the weakest link in it.

All in all, I think TNA did a good job on their go-home show for once. BFG was actually set up as being the culmination of major events in TNA - and unlike most go-home shows, they made the PPV seem more important than the TV show. While I think that the Sting-Joe and Angle-Jarrett hand shake->SWERVE! formula used tonight wore thin, it at least stood out from TNA's usual swerves due to the hand shakes. At least it wasn't another swerve with a thousand chair shots that meant absolutely nothing.

This year, unlike last year, TNA made this seem like a major show, and also, a very good one - they didn't build it with Tenay stating "THIS IS THE ONE SHOW WE BUILD DO" or have Kurt Angle make creepy videos involving his opponent's kids like last year, they kept things simple and it helped a lot. They effectively built up the two main events on the card, and at least tried to make the undercard seem significant in some way. Well, except for the Steel Asylum - that's been a complete afterthought, and if someone just tuned into Impact tonight and hadn't seen the match before, they'd have no idea what to expect for the PPV.

Quotes -
JB - What are your thoughts about your match against Kurt in just a few days?
Jeff - I better be ready - I haven’t been in the ring in over two years and Kurt wrestles around the world on a nightly basis.
JB - IS THAT KURT’S GOLD MEDAL!?
Jeff - Yup, I got big plans for it tonight…
JB - BIG PLANS!?
Ad Guy - The TNA Originals, who started the tiny company, and the Veterans who gave it life - the only way to find respect is to turn to the eye of the monster! BUT THEY’LL HAVE TO GO THROUGH HELL TO GET THERE!
Tenay - This Sunday at Bound For Glory, it’s not about business - IT’S PERSONAL!
Cage - You know all I’ve been hearing is that I need to pick a side in the saga between the young superstars and the veterans in TNA. Well it’s like this - I’m the champ! And I’ll pick a side when I want to pick a side, or maybe I don’t want to, or better yet, unlike everyone else, I DON’T NEED to pick a side! (Booker comes out)
Tenay - When Booker T show up, two things come to mind - WHAT’S IN THE BRIEFCASE and what accent will he use?
Booker T - I just came out here to reason with you - try to persuade you Christian. We go Way back! We had many fights but that doesn’t matter - we’re from the same school. You took here and took AJ to another level! You made him who he is today! Now, the only thing he wants to do is take the spotlight for himself - DONCHU SEE, CHRISTIAN!?
AJ - CANCHA SEE WHAT HE’S DOING!? You know, I thought it was you who was the master manipulator, but whose getting manipulated now!? HE’S PULLING YOUR STRINGS LIKE A PUPPET! And you, you want to talk about respect, is it about respect or the spotlight!? Maybe in your home country, respect has a different meaning! SHUT UP! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER WORD OUTTA YOUR RIDICULOUS ACCENT!
Booker - LISTEN TO THE BASS IN HIS VOICE, HE DON’T RESPECT WITH! AJ, YOU DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE MESSING WITH!
AJ - I KNOW WHO I’M MESSING WITH - A WASHED-UP HAS-BEEN!
Booker - YOU SEE HOW HE’S TALKING TO YOU!
Cornette - Gentlemen, before this goes any further…
Tenay - THIS IS GONNA GET INTERESTING WITH THE ARRIVAL OF JIM CORNETTE!
Cornette - PIPE DOWN ALL 3 OF YA! I’m listening to ya throw slurs around and no one’s backing them up, so tonight, we got room for one more match! So tonight here on Impact, it’s gonna be Booker T against AJ Styles! (in African accent)YES, YOU ARE GOING TO WRESTLE TONIGHT YOU ARE! Christian, you feel left out, so in their match, are you on the left, right, or in-between - well we’re gonna find out! You are gonna be the special referee! WE ARE GONNA SETTLE THIS THING TONIGHT!
JB - Sting, people feel that the outcome of your match will change the face of TNA FOREVER!
Sting - Enough has been said, my match with Joe will be my biggest match ever - of my life. It’s not just about the TNA Title, and the glory and the applause, my reputation is on the line and I’m not just representing Sting or the veterans, I’m representing PEOPLE all over the U.S. who have been disrespected! The difference is that I’m gonna take a stand!
JB - If you don’t come out victorious…
Sting - That’s not an option!
Tenay - Tonight, MICK FOLEY ON KAREN’S ANGLE!
Tenay - THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE ARE EXPLOITING THE STIPULATION THAT THIS IS A NO-DQ MATCH!
DW - HE GETS GORED INTO THE TABLE BY CUTE KIP! CAN HE GET ON TOP OF HIM!?
JB - Kurt, I just saw Jeff’s office - he has your gold medal! HE HAS BIG PLANS FOR IT!?
Kurt - BIG PLANS!? WITH MY GOLD MEDAL!? WHAT’S HE UP TO - HE’S JUST LIKE HIS OLD MAN! Jeff’s not gonna sucker me in, and I’ll let him make the first move!
Tenay - IN THE GAME OF HUMAN CHESS, KURT ANGLE IS GONNA LET JEFF JARRETT MAKE THE FIRST MOVE!
Tenay - It’s the John and Yoko of TNA!
Tenay - MACHISMO RIGHT IN DUTT’S GRILL!
Bashir - I couldn’t think of a better opponent at TNA’s showcase of the year for the Middle Eastern Nightmare than the man who drapes himself in the red, white, and blue. Land of the free…home of the brave… WHO’S FREE, WHO’S BRAVE!? I PAID THE COST OF BEING AN AMERICAN WITH MY LIFE! I PAID FOR IT WITH MY WIFE, MY KIDS, AND GAVE ME A LETHAL INJECTION! MY PAIN WILL BECOME BLOODSHED! LADY AMERICA TORTURES ME WITH HER LIES, AND AT BOUND FOR GLORY, I WILL TORTURE YOU IN A MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE PHYSICAL WAY!
Mick - I’ll talk about how thrilled I am to be here. Last week, my nerves were in effect. It was one of the biggest night of my life - in some ways, it was the first day of the rest of my life. It seems like a place where a difference could be made - I didn’t get that sense in WWE, and possibly for selfish reasons, I wanted to make a difference. When you see guys like Sting who’ve rediscovered his passion, and Jeff saying he’s the founder of the company - that took more guts than anything I could ever. Kurt, who I made an argument for being the best ever - every night, he tries to be the best every single night. His greatest strength might be his greatest weakness in some ways. I think it bothers him that Jeff considers me to be the greatest acquisition - I disagree.
Karen - Jeff’s gone through a tough time for the past couple years.
Foley - It’s been a rough time, but my advice to him is to not let his emotions get the better of him. Maybe I can be a mentor of sorts to Jeff and I’ve learned from my mistakes and maybe he can as well.
Rhino - YOU KNOW WHAT, KIP JAMES, YOU’RE JUST GONNA BE THE APPETIZER! THIS IS GONNA BE A PPV THAT THE FANS ARE GONNA WANT TO PAY FOR BECAUSE I’M GONNA SET UP FOUR TABLES AND PLAY A VICIOUS GAME OF GORE THE WHORE!
Mongo - IT’S MONGO BACK AT YA! ARE YOU WONDERING WHY THEY CAME TO ME TO BE THE GUEST REFEREE FOR THE MONSTER’S BALL!? IT’S GONNA BE THE MOST BARBARIC MATCH EVER - RIGHT UP MY ALLEY! IT’S GONNA BE A SMASH MOUTH NIGHT!
Tenay - This Sunday will be only the FIFTH EVER MONSTER’S BALL, AND ABYSS IS THE ONE CONSTANT - HE’S BEEN IN ALL FOUR PREVIOUS ONES!
Tenay - DW, we’ve got some good news and bad news… The good news…
DW - Team 3D is coming out here.
Tenay - The bad news…
DW - They’re coming to the announce table!
Ray - I don’t even know if I’ll sit down - I MIGHT JUST STAND UP AND DO WHATEVER I WANT! You got a problem with that, West?
DW - No, we’re happy to have you here…
Tenay - I don’t know if you’ll be able to intimidate your opponents.
Ray - I agree with you for the first time you miserable old man.
Ray - Mongo is an enforcer for a match that I’m not really sure needs enforcing. I hope Mongo does a better job being an enforcer than he did as a football player.
Devon - We are 20 time tag team champions - best finisher in wrestling - 3D!
Ray - MY BROTHER, TESTIFY! Abyss is a big dumb something, I’m not sure what, but he’s causing Morgan to get his knee worked on.
Ray - Beer Money is going for the Beer Money suplex…and it doesn’t work.
Ray - Barb wire, bats, your mother - it doesn’t matter, we’re bringing everything but the kitchen sink!
Tenay - Think about the innovation in Team 3D - like the glass table!
Ray - Yeah, things might get a little… HOT at Bound For Glory. We might have some things up our sleeves - like lighter fluid.
Devon - And matches.
Devon - At Bound For Glory, we’ll be 21 time tag team champions! OH MY BROTHER, TESTIFY!
Tenay - THEY’LL CROSS THE LINE WITH MONSTER’S BALL AT BOUND FOR GLORY!
Cide - We don’t give a damn about those four gringos - we want Beer Money. We’re gonna elevate our hate! Beer Money, I swear to my Nana, you gonna get hurt! YO PUNKASS WILL BLEED!
Tenay - Some material on Karen’s Angle was edited from the original 45 MINUTE INTERVIEW! His only contractual obligation to TNA is to be the guest referee.
Foley - Okay, I guess I’d better address the question on everybody’s mind. What’ the deal with the sports jacket? As some of you may have seen, Brother Ray kidnapped and effectively bastardized the red and black flannel vest, so I ask all of you to bear with me stylistically while I try to come up with a new wardrobe. Now…(crowd chants Foley) it’s time to get serious. Thank you so much to everyone in the Impact Zone for making my debut something I will never forget. I’ve been fortunate to have many great moments and I’ve been telling guys last week that last week in the Impact Zone will hold a special place in my heart. I knew that last week, there was potential for a great moment to occur, there’s no way to guarantee it, but the elements were there, and at Bound For Glory, the elements are there when I step in the ring as the guest enforcer and I see Kurt Angle, possibly the greatest ever go head to head with Jeff Jarrett, returning after a 2-year absence, try to carve out a space for himself as one of the greatest ever. No one can guarantee a great match, but allies on each side, either friends of Kurt or Jeff’s, will be dealt with by the enforcer harshly! That much, I can guarantee you. With that in mind, let’s introduce the two contestants for this match at Bound For Glory.
Foley - Jeff… (fans chant welcome back) Jeff, Kurt, with so much on the line, if there’s anything you’d like to say…
Jeff - Kurt, TNA made a huge mistake in hiring you! But that’s just something I’ve got to live with - I’ll chalk that up to bad judgment, and even thought I didn’t want things to end up this way, they shouldn’t be any different. This is what you want, not me. Kurt, I got something that belongs to you - see you in Chicago! (he hands Angle his medal)
Foley - Kurt, any last words? (nothing is said) As Jeff said, I guess I’ll see you in Chicago. Shake hands. (they do)
Kurt - Jeff, hold on - I want to thank you for giving me back my medal. You did the right thing and I appreciate that. Can I ask you for one more favor? When you go home, tell your three little girls, tell them that I apologize. Because daddy’s not coming home after Bound For Glory.
DW - What a son of a bitch…
Tenay - Just when you think it couldn’t get any more personal, he pushes the envelope again. I’m not sure what’s more disgusting - the words or the smug look on his face!
Tenay - If there’s one wrestling PPV you buy in 2008 - MAKE IT BOUND FOR GLORY! THIS IS WHY!
DW - IT’S THE STEEL ASYLUM!
Tenay - RHINO, RHAKA KAHN, AND ODB AGAINST THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE IN A BIMBO BRAWL!
DW - TAYLOR WILDE DEFENDS THE KNOCKOUTS TITLE AGAINST AWESOME KONG AND ROXXI!
Tenay - JEFF JARRETT VERSUS KURT ANGLE WITH MICK FOLEY AS SPECIAL ENFORCER!
DW - AND STING VERSUS SAMOA JOE FOR THE TNA WORLD TITLE!
Ad Guy - Booker T has crossed the line from obscurity to IMMORTALITY!
JB - You are set to go against AJ - when this match happens, which side will Cage be on?
Booker - BOOKER KNOS EVERYTHING, AND TONIGHT, YOU WILL BE ON MY SIDE! CHRISTIAN, YOU ARE A CHAMPION! AJ IS GOOD FOR TWO THINGS - FEEDING THE CHICKENS AND PICKING UP THE DOG POOP! HE IS JEALOUS OF CHRISTIAN CAGE AND BOO-KAH! TONIGHT, I WILL PROVE TO AJ STYLE THAT HE IS IN THE RING WITH A LIVING LEGEND!
Sharmell - Booker will reveal the contents of the case.
Booker - Only when the time is right…and the time is approaching! MORE INTRIGUE!
DW - Last week, IN AN INCREDIBLE SWERVE, ROXXI WAS DRESSED AS RAESHA SAEED!
Tenay - As if Sting-Joe wasn’t enough, tonight, a SPECIAL CLAUSE WILL BE ADDED!
DW - WHAT WILL BE THE SPECIAL CLAUSE!?
Tenay - THE REFEREE SHIRT THAT CHRISTIAN CAGE PROJECTS AUTHORITY!
DW - Let’s look at the cadence of Christian’s count to see if he favors one over the other!
Tenay - FLYING ARM BAR, BUT BOOKER… (in a disgusted tone)GETS THE ROAP BREAK!!
Cornette - WAIT A MINUTE! WHAT THE HELL’S GOING ON AROUND HERE!? I WANTED TO SETTLE EVERYTHING TONIGHT AND WE DIDN’T SETTLE ANYTHING! SO WE’RE GONNA SETTLE THINGS ON SUNDAY NIGHT! IT’S GONNA BE AJ, CHRISTIAN CAGE, AND BOOKER T 3 WAY DANCE! YOU FIGURE IT OUT!
Tenay - I DIDN’T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE, BUT BOUND FOR GLORY JUST GOT BIGGER!
(during SmackDown ad)Foley - FRIDAY NIGHTS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!
Cornette - Ladies and gentlemen, the most anticipated TNA Title match in recent memory takes place at Bound For Glory, with Joe, the world champion, putting his title on the line against Sting. LET’S GET ‘EM IN THE RING!
Tenay - The differences will all be resolved THIS SUNDAY AT BOUND FOR GLORY!
Cornette - You’ve agreed to the rules of the match, and I want to call your attention to the one specific clause that you asked to be added - after your match, win, lose, or draw, THERE WILL BE NO REMATCH!
DW - THAT’S WHAT WE’VE BEEN WAITING TO HEAR!
Cornette - Just affix your names to the contract. Sting, as the challenger, go first. Joe, as the world champion, the eyes of the world will be on you this Sunday night. Your signature for the contract… I can say it’s executed right here! All that remains is to have the match - any last comments?
Sting - Joe, it didn’t have to be this way, but here we are. It is what it is, so I’ll see you at Bound For Glory.
Cornette - Joe, do you respond?
Joe - Stinger, you do what you need to do - I’m gonna do what I need to do. You’re probably wondering why I haven’t put my hands on you? Why I’m not stomping you into the mat - because if Kev taught me anything, it’s that above all, you be professional. And professionally speaking, Sting, you’re wrong about me - I do respect you. (they shake hands, Joe head butts him)
Tenay - DIDJA SEE THAT!? THE EMOTION, THE DRAMA THAT WE’VE WITNESS HAS BEEN UNPARALLELED AND JOE’S A POWDER KEG WAITING TO EXPLODE AND HE DID!
DW - YOU CAN JUST FEEL THE HATRED!!!!!
Tenay - BOUND FOR GLORY WILL CHANGE THE FACE OF TNA FOREVER!

Screens -

More screens -

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='StarKnightX']How long has Petey Williams been pretending to be Scott Steiner?[/quote]

About 5 months by my count. I kinda like it to be honest.

Yeah, the gimmick and look works for Petey.

[quote name='JJSP']I will assume that we've already covered WWE signing CMLL's Dos Caras Jr., correct?[/quote]

I don't follow lucha. Never have. Well, other than taking the time to watch the work from highly-notable talents like Dr. Wagner, Jr. and El Hijo del Santo.

I did some searching and am unsure if he will see success in WWE. OK, he's the nephew of Mil Mascaras, but David Flair proves it doesn't matter who you're related to.

Now, I wish I could at least try to comment on his pro-wrestling ring-style, but all that's coming up are his MMA fights and terrible-quality mobile phone videos.

Here's hoping for the best.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']I thought some of you guys might like this.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4960080&postcount=1897[/quote]

Oh neat! If I had a band, that would be our gimmick. Nice job.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Angle-Jarrett was built up fairly well tonight - they didn't reference Angle's incredibly low blow about Jarrett losing his wife (which I think is a good move, but it does make me wonder just why it was thrown into the mix in the first place if it wasn't going to be a key part in the story), and instead showed that theres some mutual respect between them with Jeff giving Kurt back his medal, leading to Angle stating that he'd kill/cripple Jeff at the PPV.[/quote]

I liked the segment---until Don West almost ruined it with his unbelievably horrid commentary. I think, "Would JR say that?" And while JR has said some colorful things on TV, they worked to enhance our perception. Don West's statement was crass for the sake for crass.

Edit: Booker's new accent is hilarious. :rofl:

Edit: More complaints about Don West:

Don West's commentary was exceptionally cringe-worthy during Booker/Styles. His lengthy spiel about Christian's age and favoritism made me mute the TV. I un-muted after the finish. Don West is unprofessional and appears to know nothing about pro-wrestling. All of his comments are generic and add nothing to our perception of their show. If they wanted a generic commentator they should have just hired eye candy. At least I would complain less due to boob-age.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chase']Another Braden Walker in the making, folks. :rofl:[/quote]
Not really...Walker was with WWE for 7 months, Ziggler's been with WWE for over four years now.

Did Nemeth actually believe that juicing up would help him in the WWE? He could look like Steiner and we'd all remember him as one of the Spirit Squad that got absolutely buried by Trips and HBK.

LMAO... I wonder if they'll even bring him back on TV since he never wrestled a televised match with the new gimmick.

Too bad Vince isn't on TV. They could have Dolph introduce himself, and Vince give him the look of death followed by "YOOOOOOOOOOU'RE FIIIIIIIRRRRRED!"

[quote name='StarKnightX']What was Dolph Zigglers gimmick supposed to be anyway? [/quote]

he was going to be revealed as the one behind GTV.

[quote name='Scorch']he was going to be revealed as the one behind GTV.[/quote]

gtv? (Pardon my ignorance , I've been out of the loop for a while)

[quote name='StarKnightX']gtv? (Pardon my ignorance , I've been out of the loop for a while)[/quote]
A very old angle that went nowhere - supposedly it was going to be Golddust filming wrestlers backstage using "hidden cameras", but the angle never materialized.

Ziggler's involvement over the last few weeks amounted to 1:30 of screen time every week, give or take. Losing him for 30 days is the equivalent of them suspending Funaki - you won't even notice he's gone.

G'bye, Nick. Prepare to join the future endeavors club - again.

I liked Ziggler's look, and the promise of a new, young wrestler.

I hope they don't can 'im.

[quote name='JJSP']A very old angle that went nowhere - supposedly it was going to be Golddust filming wrestlers backstage using "hidden cameras", but the angle never materialized.

Ziggler's involvement over the last few weeks amounted to 1:30 of screen time every week, give or take. Losing him for 30 days is the equivalent of them suspending Funaki - you won't even notice he's gone.

G'bye, Nick. Prepare to join the future endeavors club - again.[/quote]

Ah , not that you mention it , I do remember reading about the GTV angle (wasn't watching at the time). Completly forgot about it. In a way the thought of them bringing back old angles is kinda good since it kinda rewards longtime viewers who remember said angles , but if the angles were dumb or easily forgetable anyway , whats the point?

[quote name='Scorch']he was going to be revealed as the one behind GTV.[/quote]

The real person behind GTV:

16877l2.jpg

RIP Tenta
29asbyg.jpg

The first 8 participants in PWG's "Battle Of Los Angeles" tournament have been announced. They include Austin Aries, Chris Hero, Davey Richards, Masato Yoshino, Chuck Taylor, Kenny Omega, El Generico, and Brandon Bonham. The rest of the field of 16 will be announced shortly as well as the seeding for the tournament.

I don't know jack about Omega or Bonham, but the rest of the lineup sounds fun so far.

The most embarrassing part was when the marks started chanting "Razor!", and sporadically shouting "nWo!"

I just realized his thread's been going on for over a month now. This is one of the slowest wrestling threads we've had in a while.

As for the vids, Hall may be high/drunk off his ass, but he at least gets props for standing up for Owen Hart,

The dude deserved to be put down regardless of whether or not Hall was drunk. It was a tasteless joke.

(whoever the guy on stage was made some joke, saying "wow, you're deader than Owen Hart")

Exactly. Tasteless jokes are fine, but it does really depend on the situation. If the guy had inserted Benoit into the joke instead of Hart, I guarantee it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

Owen's death was nothing but a completely tragic situation, and I'm sure that wrestlers aren't keen on mocking it. Drunk or not, I think most people will at least back what Hall *did*.

Shame about him, though... so many chances, so many let-downs. I realize that older guys shouldn't be in the 'spotlight', but I'll be damned if I wouldn't love having Hall still doing guest spots somewhere. He was still the more entertaining of the two (him and Nash), period.

There is, but would tell a joke about the tragic death of a cousin at a family reunion if you weren't a relative?

That's sort of the way I look at it. Wrestlers, for better or worse, are very close to one another due to circumstances beyond their control. Death hits home, and it's especially tragic when it's people who were so obviously loved (and not the 'he's dead, so let's say we loved him' thing) like Owen and Eddie. Owen, of all the wrestling deaths of the past decade, is extremely different, just because NOTHING he did led to his death besides doing what he was told. No drugs, no drinking, no recklessness... it was purely accidental.

So, yeah, freedom of speech is cool and all, but there's a time and a place for certain things. That event was not the time or place for an Owen joke.

[quote name='007']Exactly. Tasteless jokes are fine, but it does really depend on the situation. If the guy had inserted Benoit into the joke instead of Hart, I guarantee it wouldn't have been as big of a deal.[/QUOTE]
Unless The Iron Sheik was passive (via-horse tranquilizer), I guarantee the situation would have been 100x worse if the comedian had dropped a Benoit joke -- well, from the Sheik's end, anyway.

You see, Sheik absolutely

Haha... Sheik. Wildcard, bitches!

Anyway, point I was making is that the general feeling towards the incident would have been different. There certainly would have been less people defending Hall, considering many of the reactions have been 'Sucks that he was drunk, but at least he defended Owen'. I can't imagine it would've been the same if it was a Benoit joke. I was really only going with Hall on this one, and not even opeing the can of crazy that is the Sheik.

I'll have to check out that Hall video.

Had a long chat w/ BJ Whitmer at my friends' wedding last night. Nice guy, although he's currently not wrestling.

Don't know if it was the quality of the video or Hall being too drunk to speak clearly, but it was hard to hear was he was saying at the beginning of the first video.

bread's done
Back