The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

Fallout 3 has probably been my favorite RPG on the console so far, but I really enjoyed Oblivion and Mass Effect. Tales of Vesperia was pretty awesome too if you like JRPG's.

I'm new to the 360, but I did buy one game with it when I got it, Midnight Club: Los Angeles. It has gorgeous visuals, and the gameplay is kinda hard, yet controls so addicting and precise that it overshadows that by far. This game is a must for racing game fans, by a long shot.

if you have a ps3, motorstorm: pacific rift is AMAZING... i dont even usually like racers but the game is just so kick-ass its unreal... its all i ever play anymore.

and if you dont have a ps3, get one.

[quote name='gdw3877']I had the same problem. Is your Xbox connected through Component or HDMI? If it is HDMI then Go to System Settings, then Display, and then to HDMI Color Space. When you are in the color space menu select YCbCr709. This should solve the issue. If you are connected through component it should be set to RGB or the same setting. Give it a try. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I can't even display video, and even then, it was working for the past year until last night. I'm going to just assume something fried and go buy an Arcade.

Joke thread?

The 360 has some of the better racing games out there, depending on what you're looking for.

Burnout Paradise, Forza 2, Dirt, Grid, Midnight Club: LA, Ridge Racer 6, the entire PGR series, Pure, Flatout, MotoGP, Test Drive Unlimited...

Okay, wait. Persistance is key my friend. Let's pretend your blind. Just follow me please. Turn on the 360. Press to the right 8 times, then press A.
press A again, and press A again one more time. Then press down 3 times and press A. Then press down again 3 times and press A. That will select the YCbCr709. If you don't get a picture then, press A again press up once and then A again. That will select RGB. Hope it works. If none of those work, press A again, press up once, and then A again, that will select Source. And if that does not work, press A again, up once and A again, and that will select Auto. If none of these work, then sorry, I guess it is time to buy an arcade.

JRPG: I just started Blue Dragon and it's not as bad as I thought.

WRPG: Mass Effect (although kinda short for RPGs) and of course Oblivion esp. with the Shivering Ilse content.

[quote name='Wolve11']PGR4 - my favorite
GRID
Burnout Paradise
Forza 2
Those are the top 4 racing games for 360 (in that order in my opinion)[/quote]

Pretty much agree with this, PGR 3 isn't bad if you're looking for something really cheap, I really enjoyed Test Drive Unlimited as well.

Are you trying to be ironic OP ?

As for upcoming RPG's, only ones would be Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (action-RPG lite especially if you like the comics,) Alpha Protocol (modern spy/espionage version of Mass Effect done by Obsidian,) and of course Final Fantasy XIII sometime next year.

race pro looked promising but it got mixed reviews. Since im a huge Formula 1 fan...I just want Dirt/Grid but full on Simulator like GT.

Dirt would be my pick. Play the demo! I am sure you will find yourself turning your surround sound up to listen to the sounds of the 2.0L 4g63 evolution whining away, sounds of rocks being kicked up, and of course the turbo spooling up.

You are naming a bunch of fake racing games(games without real cars). Since I see you don't like the racing games with actual cars then check out Fatal Inertia. I thought it was a pretty fun game, reminded me of Wipeout and it's $20 new

My personal favorite though is GRID, I love that game

I hope this is the right place to ask this, and early apologies if not. I also checked the FAQ's above and didn't notice anyting really related. Also I am seriously not advertising that I am getting rid of this, just looking for help as to how.

I received an Xbox 360 from the Microsoft Club Live, and I played it for a few days and really enjoyed it. However, it hit me that I simply can't fully enjoy the system due to budget limitations right now. I am curious, are there any recommended places to take it to and receive credit for? I called Gamestop & Hastings, and they are roughly giving around $80 for it. I was hoping for a little bit more though, considering it is practically right out of the box and not a refurbished unit (silver sticker under faceplate and not the refurb sticker).

Are there any other stores I am not aware of that accept trade-ins? Or should I just settle for the old fashioned way of putting it in the paper and hoping for a call? I also will admit I am a bit iffy about using Craigslist. I would advertise under the trading section here but I am still in the newbie category, so I'm not sure if many would be willing to trade with me.

What is the best deal I can expect for this, and where from? Hopefully I can return to the Xbox world after a while but for now, I'd rather someone else enjoy it and I put the money in savings. If only games and accessories weren't so much overall, I'd keep it in a heartbeat. Even trade-in games seem pretty high unless it's a bad title. :cry:

Are you looking for simulation racing or arcade racing? There are a couple of good simulators. The first one that comes to mind is Forza 2. DiRT is also good. It's a mix between simulator/arcade racing. For arcade racing a shitload of them have already been listed so I'm not going to list 'em.

[quote name='Kurina']
I received an Xbox 360 from the Microsoft Club Live,....

... considering it is practically right out of the box and not a refurbished unit (silver sticker under faceplate and not the refurb sticker).

[/QUOTE]

i thought all the ones from that site were refurbs?

If it only happens with Skate, it just might be the game. Try installing to your hard drive and see if that fixes it. If it will not install, could be a bad disc.

just play it safe cause back in 07 i bought my xbox 360 and it gave me disc read problems early on. i returned and haven't had such issues. if they're frequent now, they're just gonna get worse. i'm not sure if skate is the issue, i don't know how one version of a game would give you an error and new copy of the same game wont, unless it's scratched. if it looks fine i say just return the system.

[quote name='HotShotX']Define "Budget Limitations", a lot of decent 360 games can be had for $5-10 each if you actually use the site a bit.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Budget limitations are just about that. And even though I may could grab 1-2 games, that's about it for a while. $10 can add up fast after a couple buys. The main problem being I assumed that the games I were after could be gotten at a reasonable price as used copies, but that was just silly of me it seems.

I'm pretty much spent after staying in a hospital for a month taking care of my grandmother (plus the three years before that at home). She just recently passed away though and the Xbox seemed like a great way to keep my mind occupied, but I wasn't considering overall costs. It builds up quick when you start putting on the extras that make it fun (Live to play with my overseas friends, 2nd controller for family, etc).

In summary though, it's just bad timing and my own fault, but obviously with the circumstances my mind wasn't really concerned about that at the time. I had fun with some demos I played though, but I'll likely just trade it in and put the money into the bank to save for a rainy day until things pick up again.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']i thought all the ones from that site were refurbs?[/quote]
I thought so as well, but maybe it is random still. The FAQ regarding RROD above mentions to take the faceplate off and check which sticker you have under there. I popped it off earlier today to check, and it was a silver sticker saying Microsoft, and not the white refurb one. If there are more reliable ways to check let me know, as I am not very familiar with them. Google isn't bringing up much either unless I'm typing it wrong.

Probably would work. Any wireless bridge should be ok. Just make sure it has an ethernet port instead of just usb out.

I still don't understand where you are coming from. What are you going to spending this 105 on at gamestop that will benefit you. Groceries?

Maybe the time you spent playing crossword puzzles could have been used earning something besides a 360 to enrich yourself. I realize your grandmother was sick but there was plenty you could do.

Owning a 360 doesn't cost you money.

You should try the multiplayer racing modes in GTA4 too. They bring back thoughts of the old racers you mentioned in the original post. Crazy, reckless, arcade fun.

The PS3 actually has a lot of good racers, more in the vein of what seems to be your taste. Wipeout HD, Motorstorm 1 and 2, plus most of the good racers that are on 360 (Pure, Dirt, Grid, etc). I know that doesn't help you, since you only have a 360, but just mentioning it.

I have my computer connected to the monitor via vga, no problems at all. I have my xbox 360 connected to my monitor via dvi-d to hdmi cable with no problems at all. So in order to have sound i need my original xbox 360 cables plugged in and sent into the audio in port on my computer, worked fine for a few months, but now my cable is falling apart and i m losing sound, i think the problem is because i removed the cover from the end that goes into the 360 so the hdmi and that can be plugged in at the same time. So, are there any solutions or cheap slimmer audio video cables.

Tales of Vesperia is the best JRPG on the 360 right now. It only has an 81 on metacritic but if your into JRPG's or played any of the tales series in the past, you will love it. Mass Effect is also really good. Fable 2 imo isnt that great but everyone has different likes/dislikes.

[quote name='Manatee']I still don't understand where you are coming from. What are you going to spending this 105 on at gamestop that will benefit you. Groceries?

Maybe the time you spent playing crossword puzzles could have been used earning something besides a 360 to enrich yourself. I realize your grandmother was sick but there was plenty you could do.

Owning a 360 doesn't cost you money.[/quote]

I am not here to argue, it was just a simple question. Yes owning a 360 doesn't cost me money alone, but Live, a new controller, and the games I would like to play (Gears2 for instance) do cost money. I ignorantly assumed the used games would be cheaper, they weren't, I learned my lesson. I'm not here making excuses. I don't see the point in owning the system when all that are on it is some demos, and the money could be used towards paying off the bills or for extra grocery money.

As for the rest, I was calling around checking prices and the type of trade they give, cash or credit, since obviously I am shooting for cash so that I can put the money towards more important things.

Just for your information, I ordered the Xbox during the early part of the stay. Most of the puzzles had already been done before that. She went in to the hospital for a simple procedure and things were well then. How was I to know that it would turn into a month of constantly going to the hospital to help her? That alone is $15/day parking, gas, food an hour away from where I live. How was I supposed to know she would pass away, leading to funeral expenses?

$100+ looks really good after all the bills I've just encountered. But until you have been there, and I pray you never are, I don't expect you to fully understand. Things change and life gets hard sometimes, I am simply trying to fix one of the wrongs.

Sorry for any toes I seemed to have stepped on. It was just a question, not looking for a debate. Just forget about it.

Mass Effect, Fable 2 and Lost Odyssey are must plays if you ask me. I've also heard good things about other games like Tales of Vesperia, but haven't gotten a chance to play them yet.

[quote name='Trakan']

Stay away from Fable II. Godawful game.[/quote]

This, also avoid Mass Effect like you would any plague-bearing rat.

I enjoyed Fable 2. I don't have time for 25+ hour games. The game could be as light are as deep as you wanted too. I just ran right through the game, and found my experience very adequate.

Mass effect was also pretty damn fun. I'm not an RPG fanatic, those were the first 2 that I've actually beat on a console. So, maybe they were to easy and basic for some but, I found the easy level of entry rather enjoyable.

I got the wireless adapter as a gift. it's a POS. The videos u try to stream will freeze every few minutes. just buy a really long ethernet cable... it's cheaper.

[quote name='georox']This, also avoid Mass Effect like you would any plague-bearing rat.[/quote]

I agree with the Fable II Thing, not the Mass Effect one though.

I would recommend Last Remnant as well as Mass Effect.

bread's done
Back