The "Is This Game Rare?" Thread

ive got an orge battle 64 from a rental shop

it has some terrible stickers from on it from the shop.

i have the cart and a beatup box. probably worth what, 20?

EDIT: also two mystical ninja goemons and a mischief makers with the same status as the above game

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gnargnargnar']Tactics Ogre for PS1.

I recently reclaimed this from my grandmothers house; I took my ps1 there some time ago so she would have something to entertain kids when they visited.

The case is beat to holy hell, but the instruction manual/disc/art insert are in really good shape...cause I doubt a bunch of ADD riddled kids touched a game like this. Only the clear plastic is broken on the case; I think I could replace both sides from the looks of it (one of the funky double sized CD cases due to the instruction booklet thickness)

Value?[/QUOTE]
maybe $60-$70 for your copy. if you replace the case, (buy tobal #1 - cheap enough to replace it) it would increase its value. sometimes the value of tactics ogre is all over the place. imo the game should still hold a value of $100..

[quote name='ThePicklator']Hello, I have a sealed original Xbox controller. It's the actual Microsoft part and black in color. I've seen listings for these on many Web sites and the price seems to hover around $70. However, I have two questions: I'm wondering as to HOW rare this is and if I'm just an idiot for having listed it on Ebay for $60. Somebody tried offering me $20 for it and I refused the offer. Any information is greatly appreciated. The packaging is in mint condition aside from some scribbling with a marker if that matters. Thank you in advance for any replies.

EDIT: to further clarify, this is for the first Xbox, NOT the 360.[/QUOTE]

The big, chunky ones?

I don't know why anyone would want those frankly -- they soon after released the slimmer version in Japan and then finally in the US.

[quote name='Gbear09']I recently found a sealed copy of Rez in my closet for the ps2, how much would that be worth?[/QUOTE]

First print run with the security seal intact? At least $50, probably more as time goes on.

[quote name='bsesb2003']The big, chunky ones?

I don't know why anyone would want those frankly -- they soon after released the slimmer version in Japan and then finally in the US.[/QUOTE]

No, it's the "small" one. The "Controller-S". I'm asking because I've seen them listed for $70 and managed to find one in a yard sale, still sealed in excellent condition. If anybody has any information I'd definitely appreciate it. Thank you for your reply.

DSC02732.jpg

Anyone know what this might be worth? I've never seen an auction for it or even heard of it before.
phear3d, I'm hoping maybe you have seen it before

it is rare cause those things were expensive then so they never really caught on. batterup was probably more accepted than the teev. as far as value since there were never really any recent listings id probably say around $50.. its hard to find a buyer for something like that unless its a really sought after item. if i were going to sell it though, i'd ask for $100 OBO since theres none listed.

golf controllers dont really sell for much probably because theres only 1 game they can use it on and/or they think its a ridiculous idea.

on a more related subject of controllers, in about 5 years the landfills will be filled with Tony Hawk Ride skateboard controllers

I know Clubhouse Games DS got a reprint - worth picking up as a collectible for $5 sealed at Target? I suppose same question for Phantom Hourglass - it's down to $7.

[quote name='JJSP']I know Clubhouse Games DS got a reprint - worth picking up as a collectible for $5 sealed at Target? I suppose same question for Phantom Hourglass - it's down to $7.[/QUOTE]
first party nintendo titles at $5-$7? hell yeah

[quote name='phear3d']it is rare cause those things were expensive then so they never really caught on. batterup was probably more accepted than the teev. as far as value since there were never really any recent listings id probably say around $50.. its hard to find a buyer for something like that unless its a really sought after item. if i were going to sell it though, i'd ask for $100 OBO since theres none listed.

golf controllers dont really sell for much probably because theres only 1 game they can use it on and/or they think its a ridiculous idea.

on a more related subject of controllers, in about 5 years the landfills will be filled with Tony Hawk Ride skateboard controllers[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. The game isn't actually mine, but someone else was curious. Hopefully they will try to sell it so we can see for sure how much it is worth.

I agree that there will be tons of Tony Hawk Ride's sitting in landfills in the future. They will be keeping all those ET Atari 2600's company

I have something, it's not exactly a game but I figured I'd give it a shot. It's a Sega Master System with the power supply, RF input, 2 controllers, Light Phaser, and 3-D Glasses. I assume it's working but I have no games for it to test it out.

[quote name='TheOtherBarber']I have something, it's not exactly a game but I figured I'd give it a shot. It's a Sega Master System with the power supply, RF input, 2 controllers, Light Phaser, and 3-D Glasses. I assume it's working but I have no games for it to test it out.[/QUOTE]

Turn on your SMS and wait for the instruction screen to appear. With controller 1, press up and hold buttons 1 and 2. (Code for built in hidden game)

[quote name='ThePicklator']No, it's the "small" one. The "Controller-S". I'm asking because I've seen them listed for $70 and managed to find one in a yard sale, still sealed in excellent condition. If anybody has any information I'd definitely appreciate it. Thank you for your reply.[/QUOTE]

At first I wanted to just say that you can look it up your damn self, but I just did a search on ebay, and after 10 minutes of scrolling through 1500 chinese knock-off S "type" controllers I'm a lot more sympathetic to your situation. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything really... all I can suggest is to follow suit, if you've seen some listed for $70 go ahead and give it a shot, if you're not getting "watches" you can take it down in price every few days.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Is this rare?[/QUOTE]

You're the first poster in the history of this entire message board to make a joke. You're awesome!

[quote name='sherisdoppel']Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Is this rare?[/QUOTE]
LOLZ that's the best game ever, everyone has that. Get Halo 3, that's rare

[quote name='eastshore4']At first I wanted to just say that you can look it up your damn self, but I just did a search on ebay, and after 10 minutes of scrolling through 1500 chinese knock-off S "type" controllers I'm a lot more sympathetic to your situation. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything really... all I can suggest is to follow suit, if you've seen some listed for $70 go ahead and give it a shot, if you're not getting "watches" you can take it down in price every few days.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your advice, but I tried that several times and had several watchers each time yet zero bids. The reason why I came asking here was because somebody offered me 20 dollars for it and literally made me feel like a complete moron for trying to sell it at double the original MSRP. If a 30 dollar device is usually listed for more than double that tells me it's at least uncommon... but the few 70 dollar listings is all I have to go by. I suppose it's better than nothing. I'm going to follow your advice and re-list the controller again. Thanks! Once again, if anybody else knows anything, I'd appreciate some information. Thank you.

madden 09 for the xbox is rare. do you have that? you should.

Call of Duty MW2 is extremely rare, a housewife put one up on ebay last week and it sold for $13,000.

Pickalator, I tried another search for Xbox Controllers, and managed to get a hit. A sealed S controller sold for @ $35.00 shipped through an auction style format. You can try listing one for $55.00 shipped and see what happens, I don't know if it'll work or not but I'd give it a try.

[quote name='Josef']Thanks for the tip ;)[/QUOTE]
np. just so you know i charge 13% from each sales. thanks, when should i be expecting a check? :cool:

[quote name='crows in black']i have some NES game called "Stadium Events"....it is still sealed in the box, is it worth anything?[/QUOTE]

This stopped being funny about a week ago.

Got a strange one for you...

GUN for the xbox. Not rare, I know, but look at my cover art. I'm not expecting this to be rare, but maybe you guys can at least help me figure out what the deal with the cover art is, and why it is not the standard one? I got this game used off of Goozex. BTW it's printed on the right kind of paper, with the quality you'd expect from a "legit" cover art, so it's not some cobbled together cover from the internet printed on someone's printer. Note the lack of UPC and also the pre-rating ESRB rating.

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

Ruahrc

[quote name='Ruahrc']Got a strange one for you...

GUN for the xbox. Not rare, I know, but look at my cover art. I'm not expecting this to be rare, but maybe you guys can at least help me figure out what the deal with the cover art is, and why it is not the standard one? I got this game used off of Goozex. BTW it's printed on the right kind of paper, with the quality you'd expect from a "legit" cover art, so it's not some cobbled together cover from the internet printed on someone's printer. Note the lack of UPC and also the pre-rating ESRB rating.

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

It looks like someone traded it in at gamestop and they didn't have a case so they just used the display case from before it was released.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']It looks like someone traded it in at gamestop and they didn't have a case so they just used the display case from before it was released.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it looks like a display/promo case.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, it looks like a display/promo case.[/QUOTE]
yeah, but it does look cooler than the original cover art
either way, if you requested FP, I would have nailed that dude with a Neutral

Yeah had I known it at the time (I got this game like over 1 year ago on Goozex) I would have totally dinged him with a neutral. Your guesses at pre-release promo case sounds right as it did come in a case with an EBGames sticker on it. Unfortunately I think it's probably way too late to renege on this one.

Ruahrc

Is there a reason why Conker N64 is going for 30-40 on eBay these days? Was surprised to find this, as I was checking some dupes I got from a bundle today.

(for reference, the other dupes barely cracked $10, and they were notable titles like JFG, Zelda, Perfect Dark... etc)

[quote name='phear3d']np. just so you know i charge 13% from each sales. thanks, when should i be expecting a check? :cool:[/QUOTE]

When I sell my copy for 13% more than I normally would ;)

[quote name='Ruahrc']Yeah had I known it at the time (I got this game like over 1 year ago on Goozex) I would have totally dinged him with a neutral. Your guesses at pre-release promo case sounds right as it did come in a case with an EBGames sticker on it. Unfortunately I think it's probably way too late to renege on this one.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]
yeah that should be about right. its used to promote the game at retail stores like TRU and gamestops.

they are rare though because not alot of those actually survived. gamestops would have thrown them out after the game came out probably around a week or so and so does TRU. they used to give TRU a ton of those before but now they dont even bother using them to save precious shelf space.

Question about FF7 for the PS1.

I have 3 copies.
2 Complete and 1 just the discs.
Of the 2 complete, 1 is the greatest hits and 1 is the regular copy, however the discs for the game itself are the same thing, but with a shiny label on the top of the discs.

The copy I have that is just the discs is different, the label of the discs are white.

The only difference besides color is the ESRB logo. Under the the 'T' there is text that says "AGES 13+' on the white discs, but just the letter 'T' on the silver.

Is one of these rarer than the other?

[quote name='TheAngryCAG']Question about FF7 for the PS1.

I have 3 copies.
2 Complete and 1 just the discs.
Of the 2 complete, 1 is the greatest hits and 1 is the regular copy, however the discs for the game itself are the same thing, but with a shiny label on the top of the discs.

The copy I have that is just the discs is different, the label of the discs are white.

The only difference besides color is the ESRB logo. Under the the 'T' there is text that says "AGES 13+' on the white discs, but just the letter 'T' on the silver.

Is one of these rarer than the other?[/QUOTE]

The white label discs are from the regular release. The shiny ones are from the greatest hits release. Put the white label discs in the regular case and you have a complete black label copy, which would be the rarest.

the misprinted "masterpiece" copy is the one people want to collect so its the most valuable one in the bunch. i mentioned it awhile back:

[quote name='phear3d']
it is rare[sought after] but it is common since they probably printed a few thousands of them. there are actually 3 known misprints for FFVII for Ps1

ff7_error_i.jpg
this is what you probably have?

ff7_esrb.jpg
not a big deal but it is a misprint/variant.

ff7_error.jpg
and this (for greatest hits)

you can read about them here.

they aren't worth as much as the original/regular versions. they're not so special. maybe upto $20 more if you emphasized them in your listings.
[/QUOTE]
also to add to that, the value of FFVII have changed since the release of it through PSN.. it might have gone down by about $20-$30 since then.. i would hold on to those copies much longer as i previously mentioned as well that these are 1 of only 2 FF games that are no longer in print for the PS1.

[quote name='phear3d']also to add to that, the value of FFVII have changed since the release of it through PSN.. it might have gone down by about $20-$30 since then.. i would hold on to those copies much longer as i previously mentioned as well that these are 1 of only 2 FF games that are no longer in print for the PS1.[/QUOTE]

I'm still shocked that the others are still in print (and I still feel like an ass for arguing that they weren't). What is the other one that's not in print anymore?

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I'm still shocked that the others are still in print (and I still feel like an ass for arguing that they weren't). What is the other one that's not in print anymore?[/QUOTE]

Probably Tactics.

I found capcom'c dream catcher for NES anyone have any estimate on what its worth got it sealed from a thrift store ... but there is a wierd stick residue on the back of the packaging plastic

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I found capcom'c dream catcher for NES anyone have any estimate on what its worth got it sealed from a thrift store ... but there is a wierd stick residue on the back of the packaging plastic[/QUOTE]

Weird residue on an item from a thrift store? You don't say ;)

[quote name='rainking187']Probably Tactics.[/QUOTE]
thats correct. if it didnt get a reprint back then, that game would have probably had the same value as FFVII.

Theres 3 games I've had sealed on my TL for about 2 years, but not sure if they're worth anything. Atelier Iris 2, Steambot Chronicles and Metal Saga. Should I hold onto them of just trade them in somewhere?

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Theres 3 games I've had sealed on my TL for about 2 years, but not sure if they're worth anything. Atelier Iris 2, Steambot Chronicles and Metal Saga. Should I hold onto them of just trade them in somewhere?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the 3 of them are that rare. Just a few months ago, I found Steambot Chronicles at a GameCrazy, so there's bound to more out there. Metal Saga isn't a highly sought after game, so even if it's rare, I doubt it'd fetch much more. Atelier Iris series just got a reprint, so sealed copies are probably much more common now.

bread's done
Back