184 (100%)
The Last of Us special editions announced

Survival Edition
(retail; $79.99)
8405446329_0d7a0a3984_c.jpg
-Hardcover Artbook (170 pages)
-Steelbook case
-American Dreams #1 Comic
-Sight & Sounds DLC Pack (OST, dynamic theme, PSN avatars of Joel and Ellie)
-Naughty Dog sticker sheet
pre-order: Gamestop, Amazon

Post-Pandemic Edition
(retail; $159.99, exclusive to Gamestop)
8405446359_782c6b9a7b_c.jpg

-12" Premium Statue by Project Triforce
-Steelbook case
-Survival DLC Pack (Multiplayer bonuses, Bonus Joel & Ellie skins)
-Naughty Dog sticker sheet
pre-order: Gamestop

Ellie Edition
(retail; £64.98, [aprox. $103] UK only?)
LastOfUsEllieEditionPS3.jpg
-Canvas Wrap Packaging
-Mini Artbook
-Screen Print Effect Poster
-Ellie Dualshock 3 controller skin
-LittleBigPlanet Ellie sackboy costume
-Survival DLC Pack (Multiplayer bonuses, Bonus Joel & Ellie skins)
pre-order: GAME

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShockandAww']I dont understand your post. What was posted by a ND employee? And yeah Arne on gaf also said they're "very limited".[/QUOTE]

The bottom sentance. This sold out too fast for a new non multi-platform franchise. Many didn't even know about. The print numbers are indeed low. I'm guessing even less then 20,000.

Is anyone else surprised that this sold out, even with a run number of 20,000 if true? I just can't see that many people putting down for a statue of 2 plain Jane characters that no one knows about, unless they have an eye toward flipping.

[quote name='panda911']Is anyone else surprised that this sold out, even with a run number of 20,000 if true? I just can't see that many people putting down for a statue of 2 plain Jane characters that no one knows about, unless they have an eye toward flipping.[/QUOTE]

Thats where me and my wife's mind were when this was announced. We were in gamestop twice before this was pulled and just couldn't pull the trigger although we opted for the survival edition for ourselves. Obviously different ppl have different interest in things but the statue itself is of two everyday looking ppl holding guns. Obviously these characters will be amazing in the game and we absolutely can't wait for its release, but the statue just didnt the peak interest as much as day the Songbird edition or the loot chest edition and so forth.

I know the statue is going to be quality and probably be awesome to hold at first but once put next to everything else I feel itll get lost. Heck some may even confuse it for a NRA statue. To each his own though, different strokes for different folks. Although obviously now the availability of said statue will jack up the price for those who feel they have to have it.

[quote name='themidnighter23']no interest in the statue. It's nice but I don't even know if this game is good.[/QUOTE]
If you follow the industry you can make some fairly safe assumptions about the game without honestly knowing much of anything about it, like:

It will be on GOTY lists and probably win GOTY from at least some outlets. If the story is actually good then that some will turn into many. It will get very high reviews, but it will be knocked and bashed by both secretly jealous non PS3 owners, and reviewers who will complain that it's too similar to Uncharted.

Hopefully it's 10 hours plus, because god knows if it isn't it'll be bashed for it's short length as well. If the PS4 is announced before this or we know the PS3 is nearly through it's life cycle there will be references to it as the PS3s "swan song" and again that only helps review scores.

So what could go wrong with this game? Some terrible glitch/bug (not likely), a terrible story or ending like the ME controversy, or a play time of something like 6 hours or less.

[quote name='panda911']Is anyone else surprised that this sold out, even with a run number of 20,000 if true? I just can't see that many people putting down for a statue of 2 plain Jane characters that no one knows about, unless they have an eye toward flipping.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i would say a good number of them where flippers but for me a steal book it more then enough for me. I would just love to have the game stop edition but i just have no more room in my man cave.

[quote name='AzGoat']Yeah i would say a good number of them where flippers but for me a steal book it more then enough for me. I would just love to have the game stop edition but i just have no more room in my man cave.[/QUOTE]

I resell and even as a non collector and hater of statues in CE's I don't think I could get rid of the statue for this for under $500 or so. I think I'm going to be pretty torn between keeping and selling it when the time comes. I wish like someone else said there were some decent pics of the statue so I could see if it looks like shit or not.

[quote name='Youngnoble']The bottom sentance. This sold out too fast for a new non multi-platform franchise. Many didn't even know about. The print numbers are indeed low. I'm guessing even less then 20,000.[/QUOTE]
Ah I see. I thought you were the one saying you knew how many were made :)

Honestly, CE's or CE items can be hit or miss. You never know how people will value them. My formula is always that jRPG CE's will always be worth the most. Because the fan base is more of an OCD niche group that will be willing to pay more, and the items will probably be more limited unlike highly mainstream games like Assassin's Creed. Standard AC games are still stocked years after their original release by major retailers. How often do you see that with jRPGs outside of Final Fantasy?

I don't know if people will care about a statue of a game like this. If they do, the value of the statues will probably be at a premium very early for flippers, but drop off a cliff really quick. Kinda like Skyrim. At this time next year, it'll probably be hard to dump that statue if that is what you are planning to do.

But you never know with really limited items. I tend to hedge my bets on jRPGs and chalk everything else up as a crapshoot.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']Honestly, CE's or CE items can be hit or miss. You never know how people will value them. My formula is always that jRPG CE's will always be worth the most. Because the fan base is more of an OCD niche group that will be willing to pay more, and the items will probably be more limited unlike highly mainstream games like Assassin's Creed. Standard AC games are still stocked years after their original release by major retailers. How often do you see that with jRPGs outside of Final Fantasy?

I don't know if people will care about a statue of a game like this. If they do, the value of the statues will probably be at a premium very early for flippers, but drop off a cliff really quick. Kinda like Skyrim. At this time next year, it'll probably be hard to dump that statue if that is what you are planning to do.

But you never know with really limited items. I tend to hedge my bets on jRPGs and chalk everything else up as a crapshoot.[/QUOTE]
For CE's I think things like:

• How many are being produced? If we're told or they are numbered that's a good thing
  • Is the game going to be good, and how good?
  • Looking at the game/companies past CE's were they limited?
  • What are you getting for your money?

Probably more to it but that's what I can think of right off the bat

[quote name='ImpurePhoen1x']Kinda sad I missed out on this since I was busy with the craze over Ni No Kuni and the Hyrule Historia LE[/QUOTE]
Well if you got in on those 2 out of 3 aint bad :)

In terms of rarity I'm going to put this up there with the original Bioshock CE. It shares a lot of similarities, new franchise, available on 1 platform. Being sold by one retailer. Going to be a sleeper hit and the only reason I say sleeper is most who don't frequent forums or aren't hardcore uncharted fans know about it yet.

You can probably replace Bioshock with the first Mass Effect as well.

It'll find a way to be widely know by May IMO. I think Ni no Kuni's sales were greatly impacted by IGN's review and the review came out a week prior so it gained notoriety that fast. If they posted them two weeks later, I guarantee you the game is not sold out on Amazon right now.

But the thing is, ND is excellent so the game will probably be great. Great reviews will mean increased sales. Plus, the zombie craze in our society is at an all-time high right now so I think that will get it recognition too. By May I don't think this will be a sleeper title at all. It's just so many games are on the docket right now so people just aren't focusing on it right now.

Agreed with both above posts. I'm hoping in 5-10 years The Last Of Us is remembered like games such as Resident Evil 4 and Bioshock. I'm guessing the only way I'll personally be disappointed with the game is if the story is bad.

I usually don't put preordering off but I thought the high price was going to give me sometime to go this weekend. Damn, I really love the CE statues too...

Any Chicago CAGs up for hooking another CAG up? I've got an extra copy of the Songbird Edition of Bioshock Infinite which is also sold out available for barter or straight up cash money.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best buy gamers club is expiring next month. If best buy put up the listing for the survival edition before my expiration and I preorder it then, will I be eligible for the $20 rewards points? Or will I need to renew my membership?

[quote name='IzzyF3']My best buy gamers club is expiring next month. If best buy put up the listing for the survival edition before my expiration and I preorder it then, will I be eligible for the $20 rewards points? Or will I need to renew my membership?[/QUOTE]

You have to be a current member when you pick up the game to get the $20 cert. So yes you need to renew.

[quote name='IzzyF3']My best buy gamers club is expiring next month. If best buy put up the listing for the survival edition before my expiration and I preorder it then, will I be eligible for the $20 rewards points? Or will I need to renew my membership?[/QUOTE]

I don't think CEs are eligible for the $20 Reward Zone certificates.

[quote name='Youngnoble']You have to be a current member when you pick up the game to get the $20 cert. So yes you need to renew.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was hoping to cut gamers club to stop me from buying games and just play more stuff from my backlog this year, but it looks like that's not happening.:lol:

[quote name='kyrhon']I don't think CEs are eligible for the $20 Reward Zone certificates.[/QUOTE]

Someone from an earlier post pages back said it was eligible. I've never done it myself though so I don't know.

One of the reasons to pick the statue version is the statue itself is controversial like bloody torso. I mean a 14 year-old-kid carries a gun? Or sniper rifle to be exact? And she looks happy too! Surprising NRA or media haven't offended by it. That's why statue worth a lot.

[quote name='GodofGambler']One of the reasons to pick the statue version is the statue itself is controversial like bloody torso. I mean a 14 year-old-kid carries a gun? Or sniper rifle to be exact? And she looks happy too! Surprising NRA or media haven't offended by it. That's why statue worth a lot.[/QUOTE]
I prefer The God of Cookery. Anyway, I'm mainly interested in the statue, because I'm a huge fan of Ellen Page. Just kidding.

[quote name='GodofGambler']One of the reasons to pick the statue version is the statue itself is controversial like bloody torso. I mean a 14 year-old-kid carries a gun? Or sniper rifle to be exact? And she looks happy too! Surprising NRA or media haven't offended by it. That's why statue worth a lot.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if serious or...

[quote name='panda911']Don't know if serious or...[/QUOTE]

He could be completely serious in this day and age but I've heard nothing about any controversy over it. I haven't looked though either. A good recent example of something like that though is NECAs Django Unchained figures. Racism complaints, product was discontinued, selling prices went to levels that would put video game CE's to shame.

[quote name='ShockandAww']He could be completely serious in this day and age but I've heard nothing about any controversy over it. I haven't looked though either. A good recent example of something like that though is NECAs Django Unchained figures. Racism complaints, product was discontinued, selling prices went to levels that would put video game CE's to shame.[/QUOTE]

The only controversy related to TLS has been it's ultra realistic violence and the fact that the cover of the game puts Elle as the focus... both of these were stupid and died pretty fast though.

4K sold listing on ebay for a complete set of these figures. Do remember that they run roughly $200 each base cost so it's not an giant scalp %wise, but is still a sweet deal for those who got in on them.

Gamestop sucks how do u have a pre-order for a Gamestop only and stop F-ing taken pre-orders tor it

[quote name='starmask2k3']Gamestop sucks how do u have a pre-order for a Gamestop only and stop F-ing taken pre-orders tor it[/QUOTE]
They literally fulfilled their namesake by stopping the pre-orders. :whistle2:#

[quote name='starmask2k3']Gamestop sucks how do u have a pre-order for a Gamestop only and stop F-ing taken pre-orders tor it[/QUOTE]

because they have a limited amount of these already manufactured and they received enough orders between online and in-store over the past week to fulfill the amount for sale

if you really wanted this you had all week to get to a gamestop and preorder it

[quote name='IzzyF3']Thanks, I was hoping to cut gamers club to stop me from buying games and just play more stuff from my backlog this year, but it looks like that's not happening.:lol:

Someone from an earlier post pages back said it was eligible. I've never done it myself though so I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I got 1000 points for pre-ordering Hardened edition of Black Ops 2

QnTpnDJ.png

[quote name='henry00x']because they have a limited amount of these already manufactured and they received enough orders between online and in-store over the past week to fulfill the amount for sale

if you really wanted this you had all week to get to a gamestop and preorder it[/QUOTE]

Not quite all week. My gamestop closes at 7pm and I had work/social things all week. Nobody in my area placed a pre-order in time. I understand the limited nature but I put off ordering online because I know preordering in person helps my local store and the workers who place the preorders.

I've gotten burned on overpaying for day one special editions but I was really juiced about this one and you can't deny that a solid percentage of these are going to people for flipping not enjoying. It's frustrating. Let people be frustrated. I've gotten lucky in the past eventually getting rare editions with some luck (Persona Solid Gold, MGS Limited, etc.) but I'd rather have it guaranteed and not get punished with a huge markup for having different priorities when if it had been a week earlier or later, I would have been in the store anyway. It's not a matter of really wanting it, because I do, it's just a matter of time and place.

[quote name='RainFall']4K sold listing on ebay for a complete set of these figures. Do remember that they run roughly $200 each base cost so it's not an giant scalp %wise, but is still a sweet deal for those who got in on them.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about the Django Unchained figures I assume? If so, that $200 is not accurate I don't think. Before they were pulled you could go on ebay and buy a complete set of the 6 for less than that I believe. They were selling on Amazon.com individually for as little as $30 - $35. I'm not too sure what msrp was, maybe $50-$60 or so individually? Either way, shit is crazy.

[quote name='henry00x']because they have a limited amount of these already manufactured and they received enough orders between online and in-store over the past week to fulfill the amount for sale

if you really wanted this you had all week to get to a gamestop and preorder it[/QUOTE]

That is assuming they even knew about it all week..

[quote name='HomieGFunk03']Not quite all week. My gamestop closes at 7pm and I had work/social things all week. Nobody in my area placed a pre-order in time. I understand the limited nature but I put off ordering online because I know preordering in person helps my local store and the workers who place the preorders.

I've gotten burned on overpaying for day one special editions but I was really juiced about this one and you can't deny that a solid percentage of these are going to people for flipping not enjoying. It's frustrating. Let people be frustrated. I've gotten lucky in the past eventually getting rare editions with some luck (Persona Solid Gold, MGS Limited, etc.) but I'd rather have it guaranteed and not get punished with a huge markup for having different priorities when if it had been a week earlier or later, I would have been in the store anyway. It's not a matter of really wanting it, because I do, it's just a matter of time and place.[/QUOTE]
I understand your frustration but at the same time that's just how life is. We weigh our options and make decisions on what we see as important and place things that aren't as important lower on our priority list. I have a job as well and work the typical 8 am - 5 pm. You just have to choose a day where you can take 5 mins out of your day to place a preorder there. Granted it takes longer than 5 mins since you have to drive there and back, etc but you get what I mean. Also if your city is anything like mine you should be surrounded by multiple GameStops. Heck my mall has two GameStops in it. I had a feeling this one was going to go OoS fast so I preordered it right after getting off work.

We still don't know how many units were planned. Not sure why I care but I am extremely curious. I also wonder how many people work at triforce. I know I am nosy but I want answers dagnabbit

[quote name='red_devil32']what is the point of preorder really? I don't see any reason this go out of print. Might even end up $30-40 within 6 months.[/QUOTE]

As reasons mentioned few pages back, companies don't have the ability to magically create X amount of product out of nowhere.

[quote name='red_devil32']what is the point of preorder really? I don't see any reason this go out of print. Might even end up $30-40 within 6 months.[/QUOTE]
From wiki: "The idea for pre-orders came when people found it hard to get popular items in stores due to their popularity. Companies were then given the idea to allow people to reserve their own personal copy, before the release, which has been a huge success. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee immediate delivery on release, manufacturers can gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be, and sellers can be assured of minimum sales. Additionally, high pre-order rates can be used to generate publicity to further increase sales."

As for it being $30-$40 I'm going to assume you're only talking about the Survival Edition and sure that's possible. So if you want to go buy the game a few months after release for that price then great. I personally want it day one and also don't think they'll make enough of this for something like that to happen so I ordered it now to be sure I get it.

anything possible but look at ni no kuni an tell me were ill find the wizard edition for $30-40 in six months

[quote name='ShockandAww']From wiki: "The idea for pre-orders came when people found it hard to get popular items in stores due to their popularity. Companies were then given the idea to allow people to reserve their own personal copy, before the release, which has been a huge success. Pre-orders allow consumers to guarantee immediate delivery on release, manufacturers can gauge how much demand there will be and hence how large initial production runs should be, and sellers can be assured of minimum sales. Additionally, high pre-order rates can be used to generate publicity to further increase sales."

As for it being $30-$40 I'm going to assume you're only talking about the Survival Edition and sure that's possible. So if you want to go buy the game a few months after release for that price then great. I personally want it day one and also don't think they'll make enough of this for something like that to happen so I ordered it now to be sure I get it.[/QUOTE]

I came from slick deals, I guess I still carry their "never pay full price" thinking lol. Anyway, the point I was trying to make was I got a bunch of CE over the years under $30, CD Black op, Assassin creed Revelations, Uncharted 3, Max Payne 3 etc...after a couple months so unless you are a collector and take pride in owning these, I don't see any reason to pay full price. If I really really like a game I might buy the vanilla copy around release time (there are always some deals, one way or another to not pay full price lol) then wait for the special ed to drop then sell the vanilla copy.

[quote name='red_devil32']I came from slick deals, I guess I still carry their "never pay full price" thinking lol. Anyway, the point I was trying to make was I got a bunch of CE over the years under $30, CD Black op, Assassin creed Revelations, Uncharted 3, Max Payne 3 etc...after a couple months so unless you are a collector and take pride in owning these, I don't see any reason to pay full price. If I really really like a game I might buy the vanilla copy around release time (there are always some deals, one way or another to not pay full price lol) then wait for the special ed to drop then sell the vanilla copy.[/QUOTE]

The way I see it collectors edition never sell out quickly because if it was meant to be sold out quickly it would of been named a limited edition. So when these editions coming out to me it's either pay full price or wait but you can't be sure since they don't say limited or collectors edition unless they announce it to be numbered and only launch/pre order copies.

[quote name='red_devil32']I came from slick deals, I guess I still carry their "never pay full price" thinking lol. Anyway, the point I was trying to make was I got a bunch of CE over the years under $30, CD Black op, Assassin creed Revelations, Uncharted 3, Max Payne 3 etc...after a couple months so unless you are a collector and take pride in owning these, I don't see any reason to pay full price. If I really really like a game I might buy the vanilla copy around release time (there are always some deals, one way or another to not pay full price lol) then wait for the special ed to drop then sell the vanilla copy.[/QUOTE]
That's all fine and dandy but I don't think you really understand the situation. Having retailer specific CEs makes the availability even more limited. Just a question but can you find me a CE of DOA5, MGS HD LE, Borderlands 2 Loot Chest, ME2, NG2, Ni No Kuni, Persona 4 Golden Solid Gold Edition at clearance price? No? That's not even all the rare ones either. The Assassin's Creed Revelations one wasn't even a true CE, it was just the action figure packed with the game. As for the other examples you listed yeah those were overproduced and did drop in price. These companies are starting to recognize that overproducing products is not a good business practice for making money. By all means if you think you can get certain CEs at bargain price be my guest. I'll keep my preorder though, thanks for your valuable input.

[quote name='diazt350']The way I see it collectors edition never sell out quickly because if it was meant to be sold out quickly it would of been named a limited edition. So when these editions coming out to me it's either pay full price or wait but you can't be sure since they don't say limited or collectors edition unless they announce it to be numbered and only launch/pre order copies.[/QUOTE]

limited edition is even worse, nowadays they just slap that on anything. The only thing that might be rare are those super expensive and with some really cool and unique item in there OR the ones that are ridiculous overpriced so they only produce enough for people who want it. The Post-Pandemic ed of this is probably one, average consumer find it ridiculous to pay $80 more for a little statue and without the art book.

The issue w/ this mentality is that all the games you mentioned were sequels. A lot of the NEW IPs that are released have an actual limited release for CEs. (Like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Demon's Souls, Dead Space, and even Assassin's Creed).

Also, adding to the idea that this edition has a higher chance of being limited, it's a retailer exclusive. It is not being sold anywhere except at Gamestop. And it also helps that it is an exclusive.

[quote name='delsus09']Why is it that European pre-order bonuses & LE's/CE's always have the stuff I'd actually use? :/ Sigh...[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's all that great... the mini-artbook and comics are easily substituted, the DLC that you will probably be able to get on PSN later or universal, and a controller skin that I'm sure will be replicated. The only real unique items are the packaging and screen poster. I don't think it's worth $40 for all of that.

The Survival Edition is honestly a pretty sweet deal by comparison. You get a full sized artbook and steelbook for only $20 more.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't think it's all that great... the mini-artbook and comics are easily substituted, the DLC that you will probably be able to get on PSN later or universal, and a controller skin that I'm sure will be replicated. The only real unique items are the packaging and screen poster. I don't think it's worth $40 for all of that.

The Survival Edition is honestly a pretty sweet deal by comparison. You get a full sized artbook and steelbook for only $20 more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's true...& I do like me some steel/artbooks. Still, I wish we'd get some of the small stuff that EU releases get. Then again, maybe it's just recently that EU has been getting better stuff than they used to.

Oh well; I'm going to go play Company of Heroes.

bread's done
Back