The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Well... I'm slowing down quite a bit on this one. When I first got it I ws in awe how great the DS features were put to use but now I'm pretty sick of that Temple. I just beat Dodongo... am I almost done?

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']just like to point out, tiger the cat was banned. hurrah![/quote]
No offense, but gloating over the banning of another user is a good way to get banned yourself. :roll:

Javery: Been a while since I finished the game and I can't remember where Dodongo falls exactly, but I want to say you're about 2/3 of the way through. Hang in there.

Yeah, I'm struggling to get through as well.

Just finished the Ice Temple to get the 2nd precious metal. Now have to slog through the stupid Ocean King Temple again to get the 4th sea chart. :bomb:

Finished it. Loved it.

I Expected a lot more in the Ocean King Temple the final time through but very little was added. Also, the last boss fights were quite easy. Oh well.

I Planned on getting everything but now that I've beaten it, as expected I don't think I shall. On to Geometry Wars!

Got an email from Nintendo asking me to do another survey. This one asked me how the game made me feel. Better, worse or no change. Quite an odd question, yet it makes sense.

For those of you who've made it thru the game, do you think it's one that it would be worth having a strategy guide for? I'm giving someone the game for Christmas and I'm pretty sure I could find a copy of the guide at TRU for 1/2-off.

I know that some of you are probably anti-guides in general. So I guess I'm wondering what people who DO ocassionally use guides think about whether one is needed for this game.

[quote name='gordonmj']For those of you who've made it thru the game, do you think it's one that it would be worth having a strategy guide for? I'm giving someone the game for Christmas and I'm pretty sure I could find a copy of the guide at TRU for 1/2-off.

I know that some of you are probably anti-guides in general. So I guess I'm wondering what people who DO ocassionally use guides think about whether one is needed for this game.[/quote]
I occasionally use guides and I got one for free with this at TRU but never used it until right before I completed the game, and that only to see what hidden treasures I'd missed, if I got all the items, etc.

[quote name='gordonmj']For those of you who've made it thru the game, do you think it's one that it would be worth having a strategy guide for? I'm giving someone the game for Christmas and I'm pretty sure I could find a copy of the guide at TRU for 1/2-off.

I know that some of you are probably anti-guides in general. So I guess I'm wondering what people who DO ocassionally use guides think about whether one is needed for this game.[/QUOTE]

Thus far it's definitely not needed for 99% of the game, my only trouble spots occured when I hadn't played for a while and I forgot where I was supposed to sail to next. I think a strategy guide would ruin this game.

I know that some of you are probably anti-guides in general. So I guess I'm wondering what people who DO ocassionally use guides think about whether one is needed for this game.[/quote]I doubt it would be needed, but as a gift it would make it that much cooler. I'd go for it even if you think they won't ever use it, and they are worth the extra $10 (if it's half of $20 at TRU).

Thanks for the feedback on the guide question. I decided to skip it, but I did pick up the guide for Twilight Princess at TRU ($7.50) for whenever I buy that game.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']i just beat the game yesterday, was quite fun, loved the controls! though I think Minish Cap was superior[/quote]

minish cap was wayyyyy to short

[quote name='msdmoney']Thus far it's definitely not needed for 99% of the game, my only trouble spots occured when I hadn't played for a while and I forgot where I was supposed to sail to next. I think a strategy guide would ruin this game.[/quote]

agreed its so easy. i do look at it for a tid bit every once in awhile. but i have breezed through all the dungeons so far

Pretty good game although I wish the islands and dungeons/temples
were more varied, there all the same almost. Not much variety to anything.

The only parts where I got stuck were the weird Nintendo gimmick puzzles, or the ones that require you to draw something on screen, then later on when you need it, you can't even check what u put down because it doesn't allow you to..bleh.

[quote name='gordonmj']Thanks for the feedback on the guide question. I decided to skip it, but I did pick up the guide for Twilight Princess at TRU ($7.50) for whenever I buy that game.[/quote]

Use gamefaqs.

really, guides-or gamefaqs, are not needed, as long as you write down potential ''return later'' places. Mrs shipreck got stuck, but she could have avoided it if she wrote down were the sun key door was

I need to get back to this. Put it off as I needed to do the stupid Ocean King temple again to get the 4th sea scroll....

Haven't touched it in over a month.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I need to get back to this. Put it off as I needed to do the stupid Ocean King temple again to get the 4th sea scroll....

Haven't touched it in over a month.[/quote]

Im the same way, though I think Im on the 3rd time through the temple with the hourglass. I dread having to do it again. Why did they include this? They rest of the game is literally almost perfect.

[quote name='schuerm26']Im the same way, though I think Im on the 3rd time through the temple with the hourglass. I dread having to do it again. Why did they include this? They rest of the game is literally almost perfect.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it just kills me. Too of my biggest gaming pet peeves all rolled into one--backtracking and timed levels!

[quote name='dmaul1114']I need to get back to this. Put it off as I needed to do the stupid Ocean King temple again to get the 4th sea scroll....

Haven't touched it in over a month.[/quote]

I did the exact same thing. Everything you do after the 3rd time thorugh was great and went by quickly, and before you know it you need to go back. Ugh.

With your new items, though, you'll find it's actually pretty quick, so it's worth the annoyance to go through to get to the next part of the game.

I just finished it 2 days ago and am glad I did, the last 2-3 boss fights are fantastic. I wish this game was longer, but otherwise I'm quite pleased with it.

I just got this game for 30 bucks at gamestop and am having fun with it. Its only my 2nd ds game as i won my DS and never felt like buying games. And if u wanna know how i won my ds it was on one of those arcade games that u never win on and u have to stack the blocks.

Easiest Zelda i've encountered yet. However there are some damn hard parts in this game.
Like:
Marking your map by closing your DS? clever, but i never really would have thought to do that.
And whoever designed Maze Island is a sadistic fuck who purposely gets his balls stuck in his zipper whenever he pees.
Overall, good times.
EDITED: thanx clockwork

[quote name='sandrokstar']Easiest Zelda i've encountered yet. However there are some damn hard parts in this game. Like:
Marking your map by closing your DS? clever, but i never really would have thought to do that.
And whoever designed Maze Island is a sadistic fuck who purposely gets his balls stuck in his zipper whenever he pees.
Overall, good times.[/QUOTE]

Should spoiler tag that, Chief.

I think I'm at the part where you need the fourth scroll as well. I haven't played for probably a month. I really should.

I don't know if this has been posted in here yet, but you should really check these figures out:

Click on the picture for the PlayAsia product page. I have the Gorons and the Phantom Guard, and one more on the way.

There's also these:

Which I bought three of for my collection. I've got the heart and bombchu with one on the way.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw these out there.

i can NOT get past the temple of the ocean king part 3...and jolene is so annoying! whenever i get a treasure map i can barely get to it cuz she always finds me, and i can barely shop at beedle's ship cuz she's always following beedle

[quote name='lawlflip']I finished the game a couple of days ago, can't be bothered to find all the stones and ship parts though.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I wish there was more incentive or stuff to do for finding everything else. Really, you could play the entire game and never change your ship or go back to use the stones and it wouldn't effect much at all, other than make the game a little harder (which is sometimes a good thing!).

[quote name='Ruman62']i can NOT get past the temple of the ocean king part 3...and jolene is so annoying! whenever i get a treasure map i can barely get to it cuz she always finds me, and i can barely shop at beedle's ship cuz she's always following beedle[/QUOTE]

There are future developments that make this slightly less annoying.

Finally picked it up again and got the final sea scroll from stupid OK temple after a couple hours of trying, dying, swearing my ass off.

God I hate that fucking temple. Time limit, back tracking/repetition, and having to hide and sneak around. Probably my three biggest gaming pet peeves rolled into one!

It's probably been stated in this thread earlier, but if the temple gives you a ton of problems on the last pass, you may be missing a lot of the shortcuts. By the last time, I thought the dungeon was fairly easy.

Yeah, I'm hoping the last pass will be easy. I got the final sea scroll with nearly 4 minutes left.

Just took me a few tries as each time I get to a new floor I waste a lot of time figuring out what to do, and end up running out of time.

Once I get through it, and have made notes, I can go back through quickly. The repetition just kills me, even more so since I hate the sneaking around.

Finally beat the game last night.

My earlier comments stand, and I'd give the game an 8.0. And that's honestly being generous, if it wasn't Zelda (one of my favorite franchises) it would probably be a point lower at least.

The ocean king temple (for reasons noted above), the controls, and the dungeons being pretty bland and simple just kept it from living up to usual Zelda perfection for me.

I got the game for xmas and really love it. The stylus controls are fantastic. I don't even have any problems with rolling. I liked the Ocean Temple the first time through, but I was pretty miffed at first at having to go through the Ocean Temple a 2nd time to get to the new sections (I haven't been a 3rd or 4th time yet), until I found the shortcuts. Now I know to look for such each additional time through. I guess I'm a Zelda lightweight, as I find the difficulty to be just about right.

I haven't played it a lot yet, but do find the Battle game fun too, although I was playing online the other night and just when I was about to win a game, the bozo I was playing against disconnected - anonymous online play sucks. Is anyone interested in trading friend codes/arranging for battles? My username/friend code is:

crunc 1418 5612 9099

just beat the game yesterday, i'd give it an 8.6 only because having to redo the temple over and over again got old fast, besides that it was an enjoyable experience :)

im still debating if i should pick this game up. from what you people are saying, the game is really easy and get tedious very quickly, which is somethign that doesnt sit well with me. im not much of a zelda fan ( i know, its a suprise lol) just never got into the games. anyways, should i really get this game even if there are no sales for it lately? if not what other games are there to get for the ds that are amazing

If you don't like easy, repititous games, and aren't a Zelda fan, then stay away!

I love Zelda games, but this one was easily my least favorite of the series.

I don't get all the hate for this one. I think this is a great Zelda game so far and I look forward to continuing it each day. The "repeat" sections aren't a big deal, and while I was somewhat annoyed initially the 2nd time through the temple (of the repeat part), the 3rd time (which I'm doing now) was fun entirely as I was looking for ways to take shortcuts and for new stuff I couldn't get to before, making notes of new stuff I noticed that I still can't get to yet (but presumably will be able to later), etc. Also, note that you don't have to repeat all of the 2nd run, only part of it (again, with shortcut finding) and there is a midway save point.

The stylus control of battles is really fun IMHO and in general the stylus control is fantastic. I also like the Battle game. Last night I played some more of that online and had a blast. So, I'd highly recommend the game. Obviously, though, it would seem that YMMV. I figure, though, that you could buy the game, try it, and if you don't like it you could sell it on ebay for nearly as much as you paid for it.

I, at least, look forward to a sequel.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't get all the hate for this one. [/QUOTE]

Hate? I don't see much hate. Even though I didn't' like a lot of the game, and it was my least favorite Zelda game, I still gave it an 8.0, which is a very good score.

It's definitely worth playing if you're a fan of Zelda or the genre (recommended thisjustanother to skip it as he's not a fan), it just didn't live up to the quality of my favorite Zelda games like Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess which are all in the 9.5-10.0 range.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finally beat the game last night.

My earlier comments stand, and I'd give the game an 8.0. And that's honestly being generous, if it wasn't Zelda (one of my favorite franchises) it would probably be a point lower at least.

The ocean king temple (for reasons noted above), the controls, and the dungeons being pretty bland and simple just kept it from living up to usual Zelda perfection for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm at the final dungeon approach, and I'm only finishing it so it doesn't sit on my shelf for three weeks while I don't play it and my GF queue stagnates. One of the worst Zelda games I've played. You've mentioned many of the reasons: linear puzzles, awkward (but not bad) controls, and the worst offense is that this is a Zelda game, but there's nothing epic about it. I couldn't give a fuck about any of the characters, except perhaps Oshu. fuck Tetra, she's immaterial; Linebeck, IMO, doesn't do a thing to redeem himself, Jolene is boring, and Zauz and many other characters are just slapped on. It's terrible, terrible writing for a Zelda title. I've never been so ambivalent towards a Zelda game (I suppose you can call my ire ambivalence - after all, I am going to finish the game).

And the sailing...christ.

There's something compelling about the game, and I've yet to figure it out. Perhaps it has that "just one more thing right ahead" compelling reward system that makes Zelda games so addictive?

Glad I rented this instead of bought it.

I guess to each their own. This is my favorite Zelda game so far. However, and this is a BIG however, I have yet to play any of the 3D Zelda games (n64, Gamecube, Wii).

bread's done
Back