The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

[quote name='ph33r m3']Yeah, Gasol just watched the ball up in the air, and KG just went in for a dunk...too easy, can't let that happen.

3 more...please Boston...pull through.[/quote]

Yea, that was the dagger right there. I hope the Lakers are done "feeling out" the Celtics and bring better game next time.

I was hoping Farmar would have more of an impact, he looked really good in the Spurs series and figured he could carry it over to the Finals. I really don't know what to expect from Walton, and Vujacic is annoying with his shot choices, he looks waaay to anxious to shoot the ball like he can do it all, but when he's calm, he can really do damage from downtown. Turiaf was dissapointing, didn't see much from him, and Odom was the only one that I saw really driving in, not even Kobe attacked that much. If they want to dominate, they gotta control the paint! DRIVE LAKERS DRIVE!

[quote name='Soodmeg']He hit most of them.

I think you completely dont realize that he has been in the league for 12 years and most players that have been in the league that long cant drive each and every play like some video game.

KG is 34 years old and has had a career of being in between the trees and knocking bodies with other big men of the league.

Do you know how to extend your NBA career? Figure out a way to be effective without being smashed to bits each and every game. Look no further than Shaq. In his prime never bothered to getting a jump shot so now he is borderline worthless as with all old players he doesnt have the stamina to bang with young guys.

Basically you have to change your game if you still want to be a star when your past your prime. Shaq is only 4 years older than KG and has been on a huge decline since leaving the lakers. And thats because you can bang with 18-25 year olds when your fucking 35.[/quote]

When your guarded by the likes of Pachulia, Varejo, Wallace, Gasol/Odom.

No reason, you shouldn't be down in the block, your taller and stronger than anyone that guards you.

I'm not the only stating this, every commentator has said the same thing.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Yea, that was the dagger right there. I hope the Lakers are done "feeling out" the Celtics and bring better game next time.

I was hoping Farmar would have more of an impact, he looked really good in the Spurs series and figured he could carry it over to the Finals. I really don't know what to expect from Walton, and Vujacic is annoying with his shot choices, he looks waaay to anxious to shoot the ball like he can do it all, but when he's calm, he can really do damage from downtown. Turiaf was dissapointing, didn't see much from him, and Odom was the only one that I saw really driving in, not even Kobe attacked that much. If they want to dominate, they gotta control the paint![/quote]

What's Vujacic's shooting %? Everytime I watch him he misses.

I think the Lakers will take Game 2, give time for Phil to adjust, make the right rotations.

I think Kobe didn't really realize how good the defense of the C's are. Maybe he took em' too lightly? Who knows. But, Game 2 will be all Kobe I feel.

Bad game by Kobe tonight, but I still believe the Lakers have a chance to beat them at Boston.

Overall it was an exciting game. There was no clear winner until the end. I hope the Lakers can win it in game 2.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']phil needs to put ariza in since vlad and luke are getting burned[/quote]
I would really love to see what Ariza can do, just take out Walton please -_-, all he has to do is come in and he automatically gets a loose ball foul :lol:

[quote name='ph33r m3']What's Vujacic's shooting %? Everytime I watch him he misses.

I think the Lakers will take Game 2, give time for Phil to adjust, make the right rotations.

I think Kobe didn't really realize how good the defense of the C's are. Maybe he took em' too lightly? Who knows. But, Game 2 will be all Kobe I feel.[/quote]
eh heh heh, heck I don't even know, I'm just relieved every time he can sink one :lol:

I know Phil can come up with a great game plan, he didn't win 9 championships for nothing.

I'm pretty sure Kobe knew what to expect, but it's just that he wasn't making the shots. Everyone's seen Kobe make shot after shot with the fade-a-way and with a hand in his face, I think it was just one of those days, I dunno. What I am surprised about is that he didn't drive in that much. Yea, those guys are pretty tall, but that means Kobe could easily draw a foul just as well.

C's defense was playing pretty well though, they didn't allow too many easy shots.

Meh, I'm out, Lakers can do it in Game 2! Grrraaaaagghhh!!!

[quote name='ph33r m3']When your guarded by the likes of Pachulia, Varejo, Wallace, Gasol/Odom.

No reason, you shouldn't be down in the block, your taller and stronger than anyone that guards you.

I'm not the only stating this, every commentator has said the same thing.
[/quote]

Yeah KG should be on the block more. But the only person who knows KG's body is KG. You think KG has no idea that he cant take Pachulia to the rack? I am pretty sure he does. KG has been a top tier player for a long time. I pretty sure he knows how he can or can not take.

I think the problem is the fact that if he drives 3 people will collapse and foul the hell out of him. Or the fact that they will tell luke walton to just hack the hell out of KG.

KG simply might not have the stamina to bang, get fouled, bang some more for an entire game. And as a smart player he will shoot some jumpers bang a little bit shoot some more jumpers. Save himself so he can be actually on the court helping his team.

Kg reminds of a guy who knows his limitations and his adjusting his game accordingly. This might no sit well with others but its a very smart move by him. Knowing that being effective and in the game is far better than trying to bang and have to rest most of the game.

Don't overlook Paul Pierce's work defensively on Kobe, he smothered him.

They're playing the same defense on Kobe that they did on LeBron. Kobe will eventually hit those jumpshots, but the C's aren't letting him drive to the basket.

Paul Pierce was the man today.

KG went cold in the 2nd half but he continued to contribute with some big rebounds. He dominated the boards.

They described Pierce's injury as a 'strained' meniscus, though I'm not sure how you can strain cartilage. With enough painkillers some guys can get through a meniscus tear, as long as the flap isn't locking up the joint. But, its a 4 to 8 week injury, so this thing isn't healing until the offseason.

Boston's D had nothing to do with the Lakers losing the game last night, the Lakers just could not knock down their shots. I don't know how many freaking shots they had that rattled in and out and mostly all of them were good looks.

I am loving the Lakers loss/Boston win. I live in LA and the local talk shows are going nuts claiming doomsday.

Gotta love those crazy bandwagoners.

[quote name='unforeseen']I am loving the Lakers loss/Boston win. I live in LA and the local talk shows are going nuts claiming doomsday.

Gotta love those crazy bandwagoners.[/quote]
Are you friggin' serious? At least the newspaper articles I read have a similar mindset as mine, bummed about loss but have optimism mixed with criticism.
They basically marked it as missing a great opportunity to steal home court advantage.

I can't believe people are starting to write this off as a series lost already, no confidence in the team what-so-ever >.>

[quote name='Setzer']Boston's D had nothing to do with the Lakers losing the game last night, the Lakers just could not knock down their shots. I don't know how many freaking shots they had that rattled in and out and mostly all of them were good looks.[/QUOTE]
The Celtics D had everything to do with the Lakers taking jumpshots for the most part instead of getting easy layups and getting to the line. At least they did in the 2nd half, when they played well.

I think Pierce and Perkins feigned those injuries only to go in the locker room to shoot up some roids... j/k

I think the Lakers loss was just a combination of the Celtics defense (physical nature), horrible shooting percentage (plus a couple Laker errors), and home court advantage. It really didn't feel like only one or the other.

Pierce's four point play was awesome, plus he was perfect in the second half. Props to him considering it's his and many other's first time in the playoffs.

Is it just me or is KG possessed by the devil or something. He looked hardcore in between possessions and during the breaks. Must be all his passion. Gasol's arm during the block against KG's tip dunk looked like spaghetti.

Ray Allen needs to up his game, seriously. If he expects to win the series, he's got to get out of his slumps and slow pace getting to his rhythm.

The Celtics point guards... now I dunno. Rondo played a fine game, but I'm always worried, rather paranoid that he'll just suddenly breakdown and create a bunch of turnovers for the other team. Cassel... he's just making horrible decisions whenever he's on court. House is good as a scorer pretty much.

I like Kobe Bryant and all, but his team just looks like a bunch of ragtag players (except for Phil Jackson, Fisher and Gasol). I seriously hate Walton and Vujajic (sp?). I agree, Ariza should get more play time, but if he risks re-injury, then it's fine if he doesn't. Now if Boston takes the next game, I'll be ready to hop on the Boston bandwagon.

By location, I would probably be a Lakers fan, however, since my little brother is a Lakers fan, I just always have the urge to bag on his love for the team.

Go Clippers!

[quote name='Setzer']Boston's D had nothing to do with the Lakers losing the game last night, the Lakers just could not knock down their shots. I don't know how many freaking shots they had that rattled in and out and mostly all of them were good looks.[/quote]

i definitely agree. Most of the Lakers shots that first game were going in and out like no tomorrow. :bomb:

[quote name='Dynasty1756']i definitely agree. Most of the Lakers shots that first game were going in and out like no tomorrow. :bomb:[/quote]

I totally agree. The Celtics have a great defense no doubt, but the Lakers lost yesterday had very little to do with the Celtics actually beating the Lakers. It felt more like the Lakers were beating themselves, especially at the end. For most of the game the Lakers were neck and neck with the Celtics, hardly shutting down or putting the Lakers out. The Lakers even had a small lead at one point. I'm sure there's going to be a much better response coming from the Lakers game 2, and for the rest of the series for that matter.

Also, just because I'm a fan of the Lakers, I'm almost willing to argue that the Celtics slicked up the Lakers' rim from how many shots kept rattling in and out. :lol:;)

[quote name='dafoomie']The Celtics D had everything to do with the Lakers taking jumpshots for the most part instead of getting easy layups and getting to the line. At least they did in the 2nd half, when they played well.[/quote]

The Lakers chose not to drive to the basket and instead settle for the open jump shot. Hardly any of their shots were contested....they just flat out missed them or they rattled in and out. The Lakers were up by 5 at half time and shooting 50%+ from the field. Boston's D did a great job in that first half, didn't they? :roll:

The Lakers came out in the 2nd half and just couldn't drop a pea in the ocean. Poor shot selection from Kobe mainly hurt them. The guy is a great player but I'd wish he'd drive to the basket more instead of taking ridiculous fade away jumpers and 3 pointers.

Bottom line is, the Lakers didn't make good decisions, missed alot of easy J's and lost the game. I don't think it had anything to do with the Celtics D. In fact, I think San Antonio did a better job defensively on the Lakers than what I've seen from Boston so far. It's only one game, we'll see what happens Sunday. If the Lakers fuck up again and go down 0-2 it's over, if they win, they'll win the series.

I dunno, I wouldn't count out either team unless one ends up at a 3-1 advantage, as one announcer mentioned, either way the series goes it wouldn't be an upset. Both teams deserve a shot at the trophy and there is no underdog here.

[quote name='Setzer']The Lakers chose not to drive to the basket and instead settle for the open jump shot. Hardly any of their shots were contested....they just flat out missed them or they rattled in and out. The Lakers were up by 5 at half time and shooting 50%+ from the field. Boston's D did a great job in that first half, didn't they? :roll:[/QUOTE]
Like I said, the Celtics D played poorly in the 1st half. The Celtics shot poorly for much of the game as well, you can argue that the Lakers will be better than they were, but you'd also have to say that the Celtics will be better, too.

Many of those shots were contested, the defender often had his hand in front of the ball and forced the shooter to shoot over it. They weren't getting in the paint or to the line in the 2nd half because of the Celtics defensive rotation - and just about every analysis of the game agrees with me.

The Lakers are also giving up a lot of 2nd chance points because they're getting beat on the boards. They also need to figure out how to stop Pierce, torn cartilage in his knee couldn't stop him from lighting up the Lakers D.

The Lakers also rely on their fast break offense, but they'd need to actually get a stop on the C's, and then get a defensive rebound before you can have a transition, and they're not doing that.

I live in California and there is nothing I like about this Lakers team. Nothing.
I'm rooting for boston because of pierce, garnett, and cassel. Garnettt will win with this team.

I've been playing nba.coms drive to the finals and hoping someone can give me their opinion on who they think might go off in tonights game. Scoring only counts points, reb, and assists and nothing else. I've used up just about every player on both rosters and are left with the following:

Kendrik Perkins
James Posey

Vladimir Radmanovic
Luke Walton
Sasha Vujacic
Jordan Farmar

Thank you in advance I'm leaning towards Vujacic or Posey because of their ability to chunk up 3's and be the potential boost off their bench.

[quote name='alucard8319']I've been playing nba.coms drive to the finals and hoping someone can give me their opinion on who they think might go off in tonights game. Scoring only counts points, reb, and assists and nothing else. I've used up just about every player on both rosters and are left with the following:

Kendrik Perkins
James Posey

Vladimir Radmanovic
Luke Walton
Sasha Vujacic
Jordan Farmar

Thank you in advance I'm leaning towards Vujacic or Posey because of their ability to chunk up 3's and be the potential boost off the bench.[/quote]
I would stay away from Perkins for today's game, he has a high ankle sprain and will be a game-time decision on whether or not he plays. Even if he does (which will probably happen), his performance might be hampered.

I'd go with Farmar or Vujacic, I can't really see Rad having a break-out game and Walton will most likely be a non-factor unless something miraculous happens. I would lean towards Farmar since he has shown to be more resilient lately and doesn't "freak out" nearly as much as Vujacic, although once he catches fire he can definitely do damage, but that's a gamble as well.

It's kinda funny, waiting for each game is like waiting for a new game to be released XD

If you can wait until the 1st game in LA to use the Lakers bench, they'll likely be better then than tonight.

Perkins probably won't play, or won't play much.

[quote name='dafoomie']Perkins probably won't play, or won't play much.[/quote]
It depends on the mentality, whether he feels that he should conserve himself to help last the series or if his mindset is "This is the Finals, leave everything on the court, contribute as much as I can, I want this". He is an important part of the team, but his mentality could go either way.

[quote name='dafoomie']If you can wait until the 1st game in LA to use the Lakers bench, they'll likely be better then than tonight.[/quote]
Pretty much, but IMO Farmar is less of a gamble than Vujacic. Vujacic, who is basically a shooter, might make some forced plays or passes that result in turnovers and could put LA in a bad spot. Farmar on the other hand, has more versatility in that he can drive in or shoot, and from what I've seen from him lately, he might not contribute much if it comes to that, but he is less likely to but LA in a bind as well.

Basically, I'd trust Farmar with the ball over Vujacic right now. Vujacic needs to calm the fuck the down and just knock down the baskets with open looks or keep the ball moving.

What the fuck.

I god damn twister just showed up in Michigan of all places. It keeps knocking out my power. What the hell.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What the fuck.

I god damn twister just showed up in Michigan of all places. It keeps knocking out my power. What the hell.[/quote]
huh, that blows.

Didn't something happened before you were gonna watch Game 1 also?

Refs setting the tone early, couple ticky tack calls on Kobe, but they got KG and Allen for one each, too, so at least its being called evenly.

Refs were pretty good in Game 1, what the hell are they doing in Game 2?!?

You know something is wrong when a Technical is called in the FIRST Quarter >.>

Kobe's fouls ain't right either

Can we stop all pretense about the Lakers interior defense right now... Leon Powe and a hurt Kendrick Perkins are shredding them inside.

Ok seriously Sam is pissing me off. The times House has played he has at least been no worse than a neutral factor. Plus his shots were going down

Wow, these calls have been horrendous. Excluding maybe 3 plays, it's been one-sided towards the home team.

Big fan of Leon Powe (Reppin' Oakland Tech) but their giving him Kobe Bryant calls out there. Add to the fact that somehow Turiaf has a clean block, and gets called for a foul for accidentally landing on Powe. While, Gasol gets SMACKED on an alley-oop and no call.

Delaney can go suck a dick, the whole officiating crew in the NBA can for that matter.

The Lakers aren't getting the calls because they're not taking it strong to the net. Jumpshooters don't draw fouls. Gasol's last play where he went to the hoop and got Pierce to foul him is what they haven't done enough of. Though I suspect Gasol was only eager to do that because of the mismatch.

[quote name='dafoomie']The Lakers aren't getting the calls because they're not taking it strong to the net. Jumpshooters don't draw fouls. Gasol's last play where he went to the hoop and got Pierce to foul him is what they haven't done enough of.[/quote]

Odom's been to the rack at least 4-5 times and has been hacked and no calls were made.

This is why I don't see a road team winning in the series, the refs will swallow the whistles.

Kobe's going into 'Black Mamba' mode early, his teammates aren't helping, so he's pulling a Pre-2008 Kobe.

Celtics are shootin' lights out on the three point line. It's just wide open for them right now.

Rondo just fouled Gasol.

The calls usually go to the home team. Lakers will probably get more of the 50/50 calls in Games 3,4,5. BTW I am a Celtics fan. Woohoo.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']the calls in this game... :puke:[/quote]

A mixture of that and the bench, every NBA bench team plays better at home.

Just have to see if Kobe keeps getting his teammates involved or he just takes it over, which he has to do.

[quote name='ph33r m3']A mixture of that and the bench, every NBA bench team plays better at home.

Just have to see if Kobe keeps getting his teammates involved or he just takes it over, which he has to do.[/QUOTE]

He better not lower his shoulder on any drives I think he may have raped one of the official's daughters :D

[quote name='jlarlee']If Rondo improves his shot as much this offseason as he did during the last offseason he is going to be an Allstar next year[/QUOTE]

No way he will be an all star next year. He's a decent PG but he should be playing well with guys like KG, Allen, and Pierce to dish to.

[quote name='jlarlee']He better not lower his shoulder on any drives I think he may have raped one of the official's daughters :D[/quote]

Maybe, the way they're callin' it.

And, I know this love affair for Rondo is making you have a hard-on but he's never going to be an All-Star. He'll be a pretty good PG no doubt, but how hard is it to dish to Pierce/Allen/KG.

Good to see Powe get his, faced off against him in an AAU game in Hayward, dude dropped 47.

[quote name='DomLando']No way he will be an all star next year. He's a decent PG but he should be playing well with guys like KG, Allen, and Pierce to dish to.[/QUOTE]
You're seriously underestimating Rondo, its only his 2nd year. He most certainly has all star potential. He's not Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but he's a damn fine player. All he needs to do is improve his shooting and be more careful with the ball, and he's an all star tomorrow.

And no, its not easy to run that offense. Sam Cassell apparently can't grasp it.

bread's done
Back