The Official 2016 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I see my competition at a sale picking up games when I pull up, I keep driving and head to the next sale.  

And yeah, if someone came knocking on my door at 4am, I'd be calling the cops.

Come on. I know that we're cheapasses and that finding cheap crap (and possibly reselling it) is fun for us, but I can't approve of this. Paying $30 for that stuff is (simply in my opinion) conning them. I don't expect you to tell them what it's really worth, but that is just deceitful.
Gotta start low, it's the seller's responsibility to come back with a counter offer (They could have come back with $50-60 and slowdive still would've done well). What do you want him to do, swing the highest he can go so the seller sees gold in thar hills? I've done that before on a deal, dumped $300 out of my wallet and waited an hour for the seller to figure out if he wanted to sell the game lot he advertised-- finally he decided to keep $200 worth of games so my offer dropped to about $80.

Last edited:
I am also more likely to buy a lot of common games if I get a harder to find one in the process. For example, this morning someone had a Raiden Project PS1 complete for $2. Instead of buying just that one, I bought 6 for $10, including games I would not have bought otherwise as $10 was more than fair for Raiden Project and Resident Evil 2. So I ended up with some filler games I do not believe I have that I normally wouldn't have paid more that a buck for - Pitfall 3D, Activision Classics, Wipeout XL and a disc only Wii Sports Resort (the 'free game').
Buying up the lot is usually a good strategy if your investment is covered, sometimes you'll end up with good uncommons you otherwise would have missed (Or in my situation one time, a Team Buddies disc-only hidden in an Activision Classics case). The only time it can really backfire is when the lot is huge and it can become time-consuming to liquidate all the cannonfodder.

I always find it awkward when put in the position to throw out a number first. I always go low. Isn't that the point of yard sales and being thrifty? 

Day 4:

I asked about games and the woman told me she and her sister had gameboys. Asked how much she wanted for the lot, she responds with "I don't know, $5?"

SOLD

I saw these at a sale. Offered $4 for the pair. (Did Godzilla wii have a reprint? When I bought this it was selling for well over $100 used.)

I saw a few of these items in a Garage Sale ad, I ended up meeting them the night before to get the lot for $25. Crappy thing to do, but I couldn't let my competition get this lot. ;)

more to come...

69341815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drove a lot today but I saw my competition at the first sale I went to, knocking on the guys door.  I ended up going to a community sale 30 miles away and came back later and got some shovelware that was left and a Pikachu Amiibo.  I also saw the same competition waiting at another sale that specifically stated no early birds.

Anyways, I think I was the only game guy at the Community Sale and, despite many people telling me they werent bringing out games, I ended up with

Spore Heroes Wii - $2

WRC FIA World Rally Championship PS3

Skylanders Trap Team Wii

Skylanders Giants Wii

Need for Speed Wii (Disc Only)

Hasbro Family Game Night 3 Wii

Star Wars Force Unleashed Wii

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword w/ Symphonic CD

Skylanders Accessories, 6 Skylanders, portals

All for $7.  I think they wanted $2 for Zelda, I bought the whole thing as I knew I was making out and they basically gave me the skylanders.

I then got

Wii Sports Resort

Wi Mario Super SLuggers

Wii Rayman Raving Rabbids 2

Wii Mario Party 8

Wii Super Mario Galaxy 2

Wii Mario Super Sluggers

All for $10 (asking $14).  The same sale had a few PS4 games, I offered $3 apiece but they held at $5 (The Crew and Farcry 4) so I left them.

I then went back to the yard sale where the guy was knocking on the door.  They sold a lot but I saw the loose Pikachu Amiibo and was able to get that and

Scooby-Doo! First Frights Wii

de Blob Wii

Spongebob's Truth or Square

Namco Museum Remix

All for $6.  Not a great deal, but my wife will like Spngebob.

On the way home I was able to get a few more things.

Bolt Xbox 360 Sealed

Super Bust a Move 2 PS2

Kingdom Hearts 2 PS2

Sword in the Stone DVD Platinum Edition Sealed

All for $5.  I saw the DVD and figured it worth it to build a deal around.

Finally, someone sold me Complete DS My Sims Kingdom and Zoo Tycoon DS for $1 Total.  The wife may like to try those.

Lots of Wii stuff.  I also ended up with a lot of baseball cards for $5.  It included 4 albums full of sheets.  2 albums were empty, 1 was filled with base 2013 Topps Magic football and the other had a bunch of 2013 Topps Allen and Ginter base cards with some SPs and common inserts.  There was also a box of 1992 Donruss baseball.  I usually stay away from Sports cards unless they are pre 1980 or high odd inserts but I know Allen and Ginter are $3 to $4 a pack and thee are abouts 30 to 40 SPs (short print) cards that should be $1 apiece.

Allan and Ginter are pretty much the only cards worth collecting now. Topps doesn't put out a factory set for them either, so the have to be hand collated.

I got an epic find today, so I will add it as a bonus after I am done with my week of (not so) epic finds. ;)

Meh morning at the flea market...

The Clash - Sandanista! (2CD - missing lyric sheet, but discs were minty) $1

Mach 5 Hot Wheels (The larger, plastic one - great shape) $0.25

Not much yesterday, sadly.

I did pick up a Game Gear with carrying case with perfect screen and sound) for $10.  I also bought from the same guy a Nomad in pretty good condition, works perfectly.  I reluctantly paid $60 for it (not CAG-like, I know), but by ebay standards, I still got a deal.  I was going to pass on it, but my fiance pretty much made me buy it, since she knew I had been hunting for one for years.

The guy also had a CIB NES he wanted $80 for and a semi-broken NES console for $35.  I passed, but he gave me his number if I change my mind. 

So, my console count for this summer is:

Sega Saturn - $10

Sega Master System - $2

Sega Game Gear - $10

Sega Nomad - $60

SNES - $5

SNES - $5

Atari 2600 (All black) - $10 (part of a bundle that had 20+ games, controllers, paddles and other goodies)

Black GC-compatble Wii - $10

Day 5:

I bought this stuff from a cutie that used to work at Gamestop. I also bought an old powell skateboard from her (not pictured). She wanted $5 for the skateboard, so I ended up paying $14 total.

I really don't remember how I got this lot. It may have been from a guy that does clean outs at abandoned properties/tenants. I think this is my 1st copy of Paper Mario. In case I didn't say this, every epic find has something I didn't yet have in my collection. I wish I could remember the story, but it was 2 years ago. lol I'm pretty sure he said he had multiple games from multiple places and I ended up buying every Nintendo thing he had. I left an atari lot b/c he wanted too much.

more to come...

I disagree. I could have said .25 each. I believe $1 per game is reasonable as a general rule of thumb if I intend to buy all of them. I am giving a blind price without seeing the games at that point. Factor in sports games, complete junk, and the fact that they may be heavily soiled/scratched and a buck each sounds right. The system may not work, the games may not work. For me personally I tend to pay $1 /game and $10 a console on average (-in my head, I average it out) in case something doesn't work. I could try to go even lower, but they happily took my offer without me pushing.
I follow the same rule of thumb. $1 for games and $10 for a console. This way if something doesn't work or if I need to repair a console, it's worth it and I don't lose too much if it doesn't work.

$30: for 3DS console, DSI console and DS games. Included 7 Pokemon games and a Zelda game. One of the best deals ever for me!

$30: for GameCube console, gameboy color console, smash bros melee and Pokemon XD. Also a bunch of Gameboy games.

$10: N64 console, Genesis console, 15 n64 games and 3 genesis games. Also a stack of manuals including Castlevania bloodlines.

$10: stack of 360 games and other misc games in picture.[attachment=22869:image.jpeg]

I can't believe you guys are being so deceitful and conning these poor folks. You should look up prices on ebay and offer them the last sold price so it's fair to the yard sale people.

Don't lie. You gave her $20 and a wink.
I remember the wink and a shhh punchline, but I really don't remember where that came from.

Day 6:

So this sale was at a trashy part of town. The garage was dirty, they had multiple animals, kids running around without shirts on, etc. There are rarely sales there. I saw the GB SP and immediately grabbed it. I then saw some records and other stuff and started making a pile.

Paid $5 for this stuff.

records!

"But slow, this stuff isn't epic?"

"Oh, that's because the story isn't over, yet." ;)

I looked a little closer at their 25 cent CDs and I noticed a game. I then asked about other games like it and the system and they told me they just threw it all out b/c they didn't have the controller for the system. They grabbed it out of the trash and handed it to me.

Them: "How about $5 for everything?"

"Well you were going to throw this stuff away (jokingly)...How about $3?"

"SOLD!"

(I think I only had $3 in my wallet at that point)

$3 total:

more to come...

:bouncy:

I looked a little closer at their 25 cent CDs and I noticed a game. I then asked about other games like it and the system and they told me they just threw it all out b/c they didn't have the controller for the system. They grabbed it out of the trash and handed it to me.

Them: "How about $5 for everything?"

"Well you were going to throw this stuff away (jokingly)...How about $3?"

"SOLD!"

(I think I only had $3 in my wallet at that point)

$3 total:

more to come...

:bouncy:
I hate you.

:^o

Slow, you lucky devil. That's a hell of a find for $3.

I finally have something to show off; the last couple of weekends have been pretty dry.

-Going to start with the worst. I went to a sale in West Baltimore that advertised video games, which are sales usually worth going to since no one hunts for games there. Anyway, got there when they opened at 9, folks with the games weren't there yet. Came back in 30 minutes, still not there, but the woman in charge had some more stuff out so I grab Mario Kart DS and Mario and Sonic at the 2012 London Olympics for $10. Not great, but I wanted something to show for my efforts. Ended up coming back around noon and the video game seller was there, and it turned out to just be a bunch of junky PS3/Wii/360 stuff and they didn't want to split them from the consoles, so I peaced out. Sigh.

-In the middle of all that, I hit a neighborhood sale nearby. First sale had some last-gen consoles out, so I asked if they had anything older. They brought out this nice little Gamecube lot and I picked it all up for $30.

-A few houses later I asked about games again, and a neighbor that was hanging out brought out a bag filled with these. Unfortunately the the Genesis games were empty, but all the Master System games were there. Paid $20 for it all.

Non-VG Finds: A cute monster painting for the kiddo for $3, and some Oingo Boingo records for a friend for $2 each.

Perseverance finally pays off! I ran across the ginger again but only at one sale but it didn't look like I missed much.

After there, we hit a sale out in the middle of nowhere, which ended up being a flea market type sale.

The third table in, I found this:

4985631463ac404e4e153ffed0c51fa3.jpg

I asked how much, expecting the worst.. she told me "whatever you offer."

I pulled out what I had in my low cash pocket (1.75) and she said that will work.

I have other finds as well, but this is the definite winner this weekend.

EDIT: and yes, it is still brand new and sealed with y-folds

835a44678114f521305aa20c456d8be8.jpg
You selling this?

Day 7:

I cherry picked these from a lot for $2 each. Happy to finally have a Stubbs the Zombie

I was surprised to see this lot sitting out at a sale. I grabbed smash bros Brawl from their wii stack and paid $20 for everything. 2 wavebirds, GBP, Smash Bros, etc.

I initially wanted to close this out with the crazy lot, but due to popular demand I posted it early on its own. So this will have to do...

I had been to this lady's house in the past and she mentioned old video games in storage that her "grandson never used". (I also bought some other stuff I forgot to photograph from her with this item, but this is the star of the show.)

Atari 5200 CIB (possibly NIB)

$3

:wave:

Nice finds slow! I'm just getting moved into the new house so I've got to get everything put up but I'm going back out on the yard sale circuit since my yard sale ban will be lifted :)

1st time out in a few weeks. Drove around way too much. Looks like the iPad is uploading the pictures sideways again.

Pick these up for $20. Guy said he couldn't find his system.

[attachment=22936:image.jpeg]

This sale advertised Xbox and old Nintendo games. Get there and they couldn't find the Nintendo games. They also had an OG Xbox with a few games for $20 but I passed on it. Paid $15 for this.
[attachment=22932:image.jpeg]

These were random pickups throughout the day. $1 each except Animal Crossing was $4. Dreamcast keyboard is still in the bubble wrap.
[attachment=22933:image.jpeg]

This was more of a Letgo app pickup paid $15 for the pair. Sapphire saves but needs a new internal battery. Shout out to Pokemon Go app REd, Blue, and Yellow Pokemon games have doubled their prices on eBay.
[attachment=22934:image.jpeg]

Crappy morning at the flea market this morning. Passed on a $20 copy of Evolve (Xbox One) and a grimy ps2 fat for $45. Lol.

Found some $0.50 DVDs... The Quick and the Dead, Jason and the Argonauts, Maximum Overdrive, and the Tremors franchise collection (1-4).

Sammy Hagar Standing Hampton CD - $0.50.

And a WWF glass from 1985 that will be a pen and pencil holder at work for $1.[attachment=22941:image.jpeg]

Spent a little more than I like yesterday, $37 total

1st sale I went to advertised retro Nintendo games. I get there and its another guy who belongs to the Facebook group in my area for Retro collectors. He has a Retron 1 for sale and a handful of Nintendo games. We b/s'ed and I grabbed Super Mario 2 cart only for $10

Next sale, family was moving and had listed a 360 and some Xbox games. Got there, Fallout 4 was gone already. Most of the 360 games were duds. I did get Sunset Overdrive and Lego Marvel Super Heroes 360 for $15 which isnt that great of a deal. Sunset Overdrive will probably get traded.

3rd sale had also listed a 360 and a Wii. Pics showed DS games too. Lady had sold the 360  but there were plenty of Wii games. She had Paper Mario but wanted $15. I snagged Mario Kart Wii and COD Black Ops for Wii for $12

1st time out in a few weeks. Drove around way too much. Looks like the iPad is uploading the pictures sideways again.

Pick these up for $20. Guy said he couldn't find his system.

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

This sale advertised Xbox and old Nintendo games. Get there and they couldn't find the Nintendo games. They also had an OG Xbox with a few games for $20 but I passed on it. Paid $15 for this.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

These were random pickups throughout the day. $1 each except Animal Crossing was $4. Dreamcast keyboard is still in the bubble wrap.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

This was more of a Letgo app pickup paid $15 for the pair. Sapphire saves but needs a new internal battery. Shout out to Pokemon Go app REd, Blue, and Yellow Pokemon games have doubled their prices on eBay.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
That xbox halo 3 not Jasper right? RROD sooner or later. What are you going to use it for?

Yesterday I hit a few sales with moderate luck.  

The first sale, I got a Gamecube with a GBA player (no disc) and a wave bird w/ receiver for $20.  I turned around and sold the Gamecube today at the flea market* and kept the Wave Bird

Then we hit a sale that had to be the result of an eviction and abandoned property.  They had game consoles, all kinds of random electronics and lots of clothes for pretty cheap.  I only grabbed a few controllers (white DS3 and wireless black 360) for $5/ea.  My fiance hit the jackpot though.  They had a deal to fill a bin with clothes for $20 and there was a lot of designer stuff.  She ended up with 20 pairs of Miss Me and Rock Revival jeans, a ton of VS Pink shirts and pants, amongst other good stuff (some of them still NWT).  She resells clothes, so there's a lot of money to be made here.

Then today I set up to sell at teh flea market.  I had a pretty good day, and when I finally got the chance to walk around, I ended up getting a PSone w/ LCD screen for $5.  From another guy, I got a NIB Mabel Amiibo and cart-only Cubic Ninja for $2 ea.

Not a huge weekend for me, but it continues my "adding a console/major accessory to my collection" streak another week.

Flip it. Offset the cost of other stuff.
I was thinking of getting one at GS,but read that Jasper is around 2009-2010 aka elite black console....maybe the red RE5 too? I wouldnt mind getting it just to have in the collection. Anyway, anyone know if a Japanese psp 3000 is region free? Think all games are region free, but the UMD movies are not correct? Can the Japanese psp 3000 play usa movies from the memory stick or is that a no?

Mchittumjr, you from Pasadena, Maryland? Im from Rockville, MD. Man, would like to meet more people in the area.

I was thinking of getting one at GS,but read that Jasper is around 2009-2010 aka elite black console....maybe the red RE5 too? I wouldnt mind getting it just to have in the collection. Anyway, anyone know if a Japanese psp 3000 is region free? Think all games are region free, but the UMD movies are not correct? Can the Japanese psp 3000 play usa movies from the memory stick or is that a no?

Mchittumjr, you from Pasadena, Maryland? Im from Rockville, MD. Man, would like to meet more people in the area.

Yes sir good old Pasadena.

This Xbox was manufactured in 07.

lol. Got too much game stuff, but still like reading people finds. Found a snes, afew xbox games, 5 gba sp ags-101, etc. Shoot, have a brand new ps2 slim still in box. Be cool to hangout with some CAG within the area. I like games vs some CAG like to resell. Not against it or anything and more power to them. FYI- SNES, GBA SP/Gamecube hands down the best consoles of all time. Would like to trade some stuff, but already gave some stuff to a friend with kids.

Finally had a Friday off...........hardly worth the time! I asked about games at everyone this time. Most sales didnt have games and 1 lady said she "sold a box full of games to a guy about like you at my previous yard sale in Washington before I moved here". For what its worth I was the first to ask about video games according to the sellers. Beating competition and still nuttin! :wall:

Didnt go home empty handed though. Got a slim silver PS2, blue controller, memory card, and cables for $10. He wanted $25 for a bundle so I left the Madcatz wheel and 6 sports games. The composite cable went to the trash because it was ripped up and even after a complete scrub down the controller is still acting up. It acts like the left dpad button is constantly pressed. (this is why I always pickup cables and controllers when I see them at Goodwill). Everything else works great.

I was just in Rockville this morning. Had to go down and pick up a building permit. Not sure who in the company is getting the gig, but if I end up down there I'll shoot you a message. I've been in Columbia, MD the past 5 weeks on a job.

I was just in Rockville this morning. Had to go down and pick up a building permit. Not sure who in the company is getting the gig, but if I end up down there I'll shoot you a message. I've been in Columbia, MD the past 5 weeks on a job.
Sounds good. Should grab lunch or something. What do u do in Columbia?

I work for a general contractor, mainly doing store renovations in malls. I actually live in south Jersey, but the job sends me places for 4-5 weeks at a time. It's really affecting my yard sailing -__-. 

Half the people posting here are in Maryland. No wonder why by 9 o'clock people at yard sales tell me 3-4 people were here before you asking about games.

Yeah, def seems like a lot of people here are from the Old Line State. TBH, I know the 95 corridor south of Baltimore is pretty busy with folks looking for games. I still have pretty good luck within the city itself and just north of the city. I've kind of got a mental map going of where the other game hunters tend to roam and I avoid those areas if I can.

I know a few of you are good with transformers I picked this up maybe a month ago for $.50. Its missing a piece or two and I know its Devastator. I think its a G1. Any value it at all? 

IMG_20160721_221839.jpg

Should I try to hunt down the parts? Thinking my nephew would get some enjoyment out of it 

I think its missing scrapper and bone crusher...

There is value there. Not a ton but well worth what you paid for them. You are right that it would be worth a good bit more if it was complete but I still think you could sell what you have for a decent return if that's what you are trying to do with them.

Picked these up from Facebook yard sale groups over the week so I'll post them. Guy that had the SNES didnt know if it worked since he didnt have a tv to plug it up to. Its alittle rough looking but paid $10 and it works great. The DS lot came with 41 games and 3 DSi consoles for $60. All 3 consoles work and the game highlights were Pokemon SoulSilver and White. He originally wanted $2 a game and somebody came and bought all his Mario/Zelda games. Still a nice little score.

There is value there. Not a ton but well worth what you paid for them. You are right that it would be worth a good bit more if it was complete but I still think you could sell what you have for a decent return if that's what you are trying to do with them.
Maybe might just give it my nephew....

Got Rise of the Tomb Raider X360 and Supreme Commander 360 for 5 each.

Just gunna trade Rise of the Tomb Raider in for credit. Lol.

$4 for these 3 gameboy color/advance accessories.

Pikachu Gameboy color for $10. Pokemon Red, Silver and Gold for $40. Gameboy Color sound and some buttons didn't work. Silver and Gold needed new save batteries. Still not a bad deal.

TMNT $5. 3 for $5 on PS2 games. PS Move camera and games were $5 total also came with a move controller that a friend needed.

Paid $7 each for NES and Sega Saturn with no wires. Nes works great. Waiting on an av cord for the Saturn before I can test.

Also picked up a Wii with wii sports 2 controllers and accesories for $10 but no pictures.

EPIC find bonus post:

I promised a bonus post (from this year, the other finds were from 2014)

I asked about video games and they brought out some 360 games. I then asked about handhelds and they brought out this case. I asked how much and he said "$15 and there are two games in the case". I check out the PSP for dead pixels/problems and it looks good. I offer $10 and he takes it. When I get home I look through the case and I notice a PSN card is in there unscratched. Tried out the code on psn and it had $20 on it.

Paid $10

PSP 3000, LBP, racing game, and $20 in PSN credit

Haven't had too much luck lately, though I think that's mainly due to the fact I haven't been able to hit as many sales. Here are the finds worth showing off, though.

Got all this for $5. Love finding long-box PS1 games and old D&D books!

All of this, plus some assorted GB manuals, was $5 as well. Unfortunately the gray GB had some batteries burst and I haven't been able to get it working yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back