The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
well I got $100 in steam wallet for christmas and with the way these "sales" are going I might just buy far cry 3 for full price even though i have it for ps3
based on the best sellers list, looks like i'm far from the only one with this idea

[quote name='nategator']Complaining about how boring the steam sale is getting boring.[/QUOTE]

Complaining about people complaining about how boring the steam sale is getting boring.

I wish blizzard would put there games on steam. Then they would have to go on sale...
Just found out my brother got diablo 3 which is pretty much the only reason I need or have to buy the game, but its still 60$. 40$ if im lucky.

f'ing A. The Sega Classics from Amazon are one entry with a bunch of DLC. I wanted 150 more game entries with a playing "Sonic 1" deal. Warning to others. Why the F are the ones on Steam separate but the amazon one is all lumped together.Now I will be playing "Sega Genesis and MegaDrive" instead of 150 different unique games. Poop.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']f'ing A. The Sega Classics are one entry with a bunch of DLC. I wanted 150 more game entries with a playing "Sonic 1" deal. Warning to others.[/QUOTE]

I think you may literally be the only person who would prefer it that way with 50+ entries cluttering the library. If it's any consolation, Steam counts each piece of DLC as another game in your total game count.

[quote name='tham1988']i got it for $10 on sale clearance at toys r us a while ago
about what its worth[/QUOTE]

Diablo 3 isn't a bad game, It's just so mind numbing how much worst it is say compared to Diablo 2. Hell, I think Diablo 1 is a better game if I had the ability to run in that game. Torchlight 2 will always be the better choice though situations arise where so and so friend gets Diablo 3 and you kinda have to buy it.

Hell friends buying games aka peer pressure is why I've bought Call of Duty every year despite trashing it so much.

Dark Souls is $15 on Amazon vs $20 on Steam, yet Steam has it as the best seller? Am I missing something here?

Need some advice fellow CAGers. Just saw Amazon price matched steam Endless space and I can get a $5 promo with it. I'm a pretty big 4x guy. Did anyone here enjoy the game? I have a pretty big backlog but this game caught my eye. Thanks for your input!!!!!

Well, I can't complain. I mean, I'm not spending a ton this sale (at least, not on Steam. Gamersgate got $80 of my money, and Amazon is currently nickle & diming me with DSII and Sega Genesis Pack) but I'm also almost out of games that I'm actually interested in buying. Soon I'll be up with Motoki looking at things like Coconut Queen and Project Runway because I've got everything else I could possibly want. ;)

But this has been a great year for gaming. Lots of things to be thankful for - including awesome sales all throughout the year. I wish Steam would bring back activities, but for as little as I've spent, total, on Steam, and as many games as I've gotten over the past 3 years, I can't complain AT ALL. I'll have enough games to play until I die.

And next year we'll be getting a Steam Console. Honestly, not sure I'll be getting the PS4 or 720, if they put out the Steam Console for a reasonable price. With my backlog, it's exactly what I want - a TV [strike]friendly[/strike] intended Steam Platform.

[quote name='ctclements']I prefer it this way as well, I generally only buy stuff that is 75% off because of my backlog and I still have years worth of games to play. It does take away from the WOW effect of refreshing a Steam page when new sales hit though.[/QUOTE]

I only buy publisher packs for 91% off from now on. If those expectations aren't met the deal sucks.

[quote name='oman19']Need some advice fellow CAGers. Just saw Amazon price matched steam Endless space and I can get a $5 promo with it. I'm a pretty big 4x guy. Did anyone here enjoy the game? I have a pretty big backlog but this game caught my eye. Thanks for your input!!!!![/QUOTE]
It's not groundbreaking, but there is some interesting stuff in there. The combat needs to be better, but everything else is good, and the developers keep updating it with free DLC packs.

I think the closest comparison might be Ascendancy.

I'd recommend settling for the Admiral Edition - getting that $5 coupon should justify a $10 spend on Endless Space. :)

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Diablo 3 isn't a bad game, It's just so mind numbing how much worst it is say compared to Diablo 2. Hell, I think Diablo 1 is a better game if I had the ability to run in that game. Torchlight 2 will always be the better choice though situations arise where so and so friend gets Diablo 3 and you kinda have to buy it.

Hell friends buying games aka peer pressure is why I've bought Call of Duty every year despite trashing it so much.

Dark Souls is $15 on Amazon vs $20 on Steam, yet Steam has it as the best seller? Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]

lol look back at this thread
saying something is worth about $10 is a huge compliment

[quote name='INCyr'] Soon I'll be up with Motoki looking at things like Coconut Queen and Project Runway because I've got everything else I could possibly want. ;)
[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? CQ and Project Runway are two games that define our generation.

Yeah. The only games I bought on steam on this sale are KotOR2 (and a bunch of copies of bad rats/toki as gifts), so I spent just about 7 bucks on steam so far. But I'm feeling pretty great having grabbed the GG Bethesda pack and now scribblenauts on amazon.

Also, Dishonored is seriously loads of fun. I wasn't expecting to like the game as much as I am. Good new IP of 2012.

[quote name='PenguinJim']It's not groundbreaking, but there is some interesting stuff in there. The combat needs to be better, but everything else is good, and the developers keep updating it with free DLC packs.

I think the closest comparison might be Ascendancy.

I'd recommend settling for the Admiral Edition - getting that $5 coupon should justify a $10 spend on Endless Space. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input!!!!

[quote name='oman19']Need some advice fellow CAGers. Just saw Amazon price matched steam Endless space and I can get a $5 promo with it. I'm a pretty big 4x guy. Did anyone here enjoy the game? I have a pretty big backlog but this game caught my eye. Thanks for your input!!!!![/QUOTE]
I've put 12 hours into it and thus far have had a lot of fun. Not everyone is a fan of the combat (I don't mind it). But overall the game is good IMO and the devs are actively supporting and adding to it.

[quote name='veb']What are you talking about? CQ and Project Runway are two games that define our generation.

Yeah. The only games I bought on steam on this sale are KotOR2 (and a bunch of copies of bad rats/toki as gifts), so I spent just about 7 bucks on steam so far. But I'm feeling pretty great having grabbed the GG Bethesda pack and now scribblenauts on amazon.

Also, Dishonored is seriously loads of fun. I wasn't expecting to like the game as much as I am. Good new IP of 2012.[/QUOTE]

Well, despite being around for the Coconut Queen summer sale and the Project Runway Winter sale, I have neither, so I guess I'm missing out on our generations definition of games.

And yes, Dishonored is a ton of fun. I think I prefer Deus Ex: HR more, but I think it's because I love the discussion it brings about regarding humanity and modifying ourselves. But Dishonored is very good, and I look forward to playing it through a second time, when I can finally murder the f*** out of everyone that I see.

How is Scribblenauts? I figured that it would be worth it someday when it hit $5 or less, but that I could wait until then.

[quote name='INCyr']How is Scribblenauts? I figured that it would be worth it someday when it hit $5 or less, but that I could wait until then.[/QUOTE]

It's ok. A lot easier than the first game on the DS, and I've not played another Scribblenauts after. Took me 10 hours to get 100%. About 90% of the puzzles are obvious, and the puzzles are more suited for children. Some minor bugs here and there with puzzles that don't show up, even when you reset the area.

The most enjoyment I got from it are the references. Giving a ring to the halfling
and he rides off on an eagle...

At $7.50 with a $5 coupon in January on Amazon, it's basically under $5. I don't really regret the purchase, but I would have been pissed if I paid for it on the console for full price.

[quote name='elessar123']It's ok. A lot easier than the first game on the DS, and I've not played another Scribblenauts after. Took me 10 hours to get 100%. About 90% of the puzzles are obvious, and the puzzles are more suited for children. Some minor bugs here and there with puzzles that don't show up, even when you reset the area.

The most enjoyment I got from it are the references. Giving a ring to the halfling
and he rides off on an eagle...

At $7.50 with a $5 coupon in January on Amazon, it's basically under $5. I don't really regret the purchase, but I would have been pissed if I paid for it on the console for full price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds like I can wait for it to drop in price quite a bit.

OTOH, if there's another sale on it in January for $7.50, and I can use my $5 coupon to get it for $2.50, I'll be all over that. But I already have enough $5 codes, and so very few things to use them on, it's not worth picking it up for another $5 code.

[quote name='INCyr']Well, despite being around for the Coconut Queen summer sale and the Project Runway Winter sale, I have neither, so I guess I'm missing out on our generations definition of games.

And yes, Dishonored is a ton of fun. I think I prefer Deus Ex: HR more, but I think it's because I love the discussion it brings about regarding humanity and modifying ourselves. But Dishonored is very good, and I look forward to playing it through a second time, when I can finally murder the f*** out of everyone that I see.

How is Scribblenauts? I figured that it would be worth it someday when it hit $5 or less, but that I could wait until then.[/QUOTE]

Haven't played it yet, but ditto what elessar said about the price. For a new game, pretty good price if you have any kind of a amazon sale code.

I think DE:HR has a better story, but with dishonored it is just so much goddamn fun to think of new ways to kill things. It's a lighter game in that respect, I'm not thinking about what my characters' morals are, I'm not contemplating, I'm just checking out all these cool skills I got - and having a ball killing enemies with my rat army.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Well went ahead and bit on Magic 2013 played a few rounds until my laptop crashed (be nice to get back home to a real computer). Seems to be a pretty solid simulation of Magic, though unlocking one card per match seems a little stingy, but I may be misunderstanding how that works. In any case, I'm most looking forward to being able to start putting together my own decks as that was always the real fun of the game for me anyways. Also I need to get used to some of the timing, used an instant to off a creature that decided to block my attack and even though it was dead it still counted as having blocked my creature. Otherwise though, well worth it if you want a digital Magic fix or a cheap way to get back into playing again. Though honestly from what I've read you'd probably be best off sticking with 2012 as 2013 doesn't sound like it adds enough to really be worth the extra cash, but probably wouldn't go wrong either way.[/QUOTE]

2013 adds a special kind of match - planechase or something like that. Seems like a gimmick, but my friends tell me it's really good. I'm waiting to pick up 2013 till my wife unlocks all cards in the 2012 deck.

Regarding your blocking issue, that's the new Magic rules. A lot of changes since the 1990s when I played it in high school. Most are nice, but some are just stupid. Get used to pausing after every action so you can read the card and come up with a response. Enjoy the game. It's as addicting as MtG was but with a spending limit :cool:

Just looking at a few videos of Scribblenauts it seems to be mostly an adventure game with a creative twist. So, if you like that sort of thing you'll probably enjoy it!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Dark Souls is $15 on Amazon vs $20 on Steam, yet Steam has it as the best seller? Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]

I'm more amazed that Far Cry 3 maintains a constant high position while selling for full price during a major sale.

Oh, what got me sold on Scribblenauts was actually the workshop. Creating things is a pain in the ass though. I made a Black Dynamite based off a ninja, but it really really sucks =D

[quote name='Killbomb']I'm more amazed that Far Cry 3 maintains a constant high position while selling for full price during a major sale.[/QUOTE]

because if your choices are old games with mediocre sales or new games, might as well go for the brand new game that is utterly amazing

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Dark Souls is $15 on Amazon vs $20 on Steam, yet Steam has it as the best seller? Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]
A bunch of people never look at forums, much less forums like this and just hear second hand that some amazing Steam sale is happening and buy. To be fair, it's the same as people who assume the pack of linens they bought from Amazon has to be dirt cheap since it was online when it was actually $10 less at Target. People just get trained to think a particular place has the best deals, always.

[quote name='Killbomb']I'm more amazed that Far Cry 3 maintains a constant high position while selling for full price during a major sale.[/QUOTE]

I know It's been on sale for consoles already at $40, not sure why it wouldn't go lower on PC.

Then again It's very rare for something to go cheap on consoles but not PC.

Anyways, heard the game is amazing and totally out of left field in terms of AAA quality. It's a shame Ubisoft didn't release it earlier in the year, but maybe they figured it would sell even worst side to side with Assassins Creed 3, and maybe they were right?

[quote name='Syntax Error']A bunch of people never look at forums, much less forums like this and just hear second hand that some amazing Steam sale is happening and buy. To be fair, it's the same as people who assume the pack of linens they bought from Amazon has to be dirt cheap since it was online when it was actually $10 less at Target. People just get trained to think a particular place has the best deals, always.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Amazon.com is US only and steam its not. Casual shoppers aren't comparing prices to stores outside their region and figuring out how to buy things there.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but any chance that AC III will go on sale? Looking for a good deal on a digital copy...

Thanks

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I know It's been on sale for consoles already at $40, not sure why it wouldn't go lower on PC.

Then again It's very rare for something to go cheap on consoles but not PC.

Anyways, heard the game is amazing and totally out of left field in terms of AAA quality. It's a shame Ubisoft didn't release it earlier in the year, but maybe they figured it would sell even worst side to side with Assassins Creed 3, and maybe they were right?[/QUOTE]

the steam top sellers list says they released it at the perfect time

[quote name='rirath']Oh yeah, absolutely still worth it. It's basically like playing with pre-built theme decks, which I've never minded. Part of the reason I have 2011-2013 is that I've picked up each one on a different platform. 2011 on XBLA, 2012 on Steam, 2013 on iPad. Gives a lot of options as to where to play.

If you can dig up the old '90's version of the game, there's an actual deck editor there, though it doesn't work too well on modern systems admittedly. Also hard to come by these days, but perhaps try eBay. Includes thousands of cards to use, so possibly worth the time and trouble.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I've got those CDs buried somewhere in a closet I think, if I get bored enough of 2013 sounds worth digging out.

[quote name='Logain8955']There is Magic Online, but the prices for that are not anywhere near CAG status.

They charge regular full price per pack, same price you'd pay for the real cardboard cards. They do run Booster Drafts and Sealed Deck tournaments on demand where you win booster packs and stuff, but you have to be real good at magic to even get it down to half price. [/Quote]

I wasn't sure if they were still running Magic Online or not. I could never fully get into it. Something about paying the same price as real cards for digital cards never quite sat right with me definitely not CAGly as you say. If I need sealed/deck booster draft for real world prices I at least have several real world venues to choose from. At least 2013 will give me something of a rule refresher in case I ever get the misguided idea to drop $15 on a sealed deck tourney so I don't make an ass of myself trying to play by 15 year old rules.

Hey guys I got this 2k $5 email thing for amazon. Anyone else get it? If so I don't undertstand how it works. I accidentally ordered something and I'm not sure if it ordered the game with a made up credit card? I bought 3 2k games this year so I was thinking they gave me $10 towards the games and ordered it with a fake gift card. If anyone knows about this please tell me. It's strange because I'm not sure if I used someone elses credit card because it says it expires 2013 and I can't think of anyone's cards whose expire 2013. Would be appreciated if I could get a fast response

Since it's on sale I am going to plug awesomenauts as I've been having a blast with it thus far today. For the price it's a good deal, and the soundtrack is also worth grabbing.

[quote name='Darigon']Hey guys I got this 2k $5 email thing for amazon. Anyone else get it? If so I don't undertstand how it works. I accidentally ordered something and I'm not sure if it ordered the game with a made up credit card? I bought 3 2k games this year so I was thinking they gave me $10 towards the games and ordered it with a fake gift card. If anyone knows about this please tell me. It's strange because I'm not sure if I used someone elses credit card because it says it expires 2013 and I can't think of anyone's cards whose expire 2013. Would be appreciated if I could get a fast response[/QUOTE]

I'm having a real hard time understanding what you're talking about with all the fake credit card stuff, but the 2K credit is legit, and it will be usable tomorrow through January fifth, I think.

[quote name='Terlan']Since it's on sale I am going to plug awesomenauts as I've been having a blast with it thus far today. For the price it's a good deal, and the soundtrack is also worth grabbing.[/QUOTE]

I bought the three pack for $6.00. $2.00 a game is cheap enough to buy anything, even if I don't know that I'll ever play it.

is $5 a good price for arkham asylum?

do you guys think red alert 3 will win?
it is an EA game
i'm really sick of being disappointed by the community vote

[quote name='elessar123']It's ok. A lot easier than the first game on the DS, and I've not played another Scribblenauts after. Took me 10 hours to get 100%. About 90% of the puzzles are obvious, and the puzzles are more suited for children. Some minor bugs here and there with puzzles that don't show up, even when you reset the area.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this review. & if you like basic creativity in creation options and word puzzles. I think its suited for a younger audience tho.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'm having a real hard time understanding what you're talking about with all the fake credit card stuff, but the 2K credit is legit, and it will be usable tomorrow through January fifth, I think.[/QUOTE]

did it create a credit card under your order transaction or activate a coupon? I think I screwed up.. What are the chances of me getting a refund? I emailed amazon about it.. hope they can fix it

[quote name='tham1988']is $5 a good price for arkham asylum?

do you guys think red alert 3 will win?
it is an EA game
i'm really sick of being disappointed by the community vote[/QUOTE]
It's definitely worthy of the price. Tho people in the Steam trading thread were selling for less than $5 during the Amazon Batman pack sale. That's when I got my copy.

It has a chance but I'm guessing Civ4 will win. I am disappoint as well.

[quote name='Darigon']did it create a credit card under your order transaction or activate a coupon? I think I screwed up.. What are the chances of me getting a refund? I emailed amazon about it.. hope they can fix it[/QUOTE]

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

If you bought something from 2k this year, then give you a coupon for $5 dollars off something they're selling until January 5th or so.

[quote name='MC Kage']It's definitely worthy of the price. Tho people in the Steam trading thread were selling for less than $5 during the Amazon Batman pack sale. That's when I got my copy.

It has a chance but I'm guessing Civ4 will win. I am disappoint as well.[/QUOTE]

how much less than 5 was it? because I had it on ps3 back when it came out and I wont play it anytime soon most likely but would like to have it

yeah i was thinking the same thing about the community choice
i am super disappoint

[quote name='jkimrey']Sorry if this has been discussed before, but any chance that AC III will go on sale? Looking for a good deal on a digital copy...

Thanks[/QUOTE]

i just bought a video card and should arrive sometime this week from newegg. i can sell you the included ac III voucher if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back