The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chapnis']DLC $3, game $3.74, complete $15 in NZ[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Detruire']Yeah. Our prices are as above ^.[/QUOTE]

Well you win this round New Zealand! :wave: Well played, well played indeed!

[quote name='u.v.bunny']Well you win this round New Zealand! :wave: Well played, well played indeed![/QUOTE]
After their score against South Africa in the first Test, they'll need all the help they can get.

[quote name='MrBonk']Steam server down for anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Yep, down for me in both the steam client and web browser.

Edit: Good thing it didn't happen during a sale! ;)

[quote name='Flowette']After their score against South Africa in the first Test, they'll need all the help they can get.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping no one would go there... :(

[quote name='MrBonk']Steam server down for anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Was wondering the same thing, so thanks for confirming its not just me :p

[quote name='Therapy']Ugh... I don't get why they sell the WHOLE Warhammer 40k RTS franchise for [FONT=&quot]€[/FONT]9.99 but not part I and II seperately.[/QUOTE]

Self-same reason for not getting Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai. I own everything else in the Total War franchise, all I ask is for a discounted bundle that includes all of the Shogun stuff and nothing else.

[quote name='cranky2']Self-same reason for not getting Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai. I own everything else in the Total War franchise, all I ask is for a discounted bundle that includes all of the Shogun stuff and nothing else.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it'll happen eventually. It makes a lot of sense. Like me, just continue to not buy any of these total bundles so if they want to move the dollar in your pocket to theirs, they have to make it happen of just don't get revenue.

I can live with not playing it with other stuff to keep me busy.

[quote name='u.v.bunny']The older Crusader Kings Complete is also part of the flash sale (75% off making it $2.49). Anyone have any comments on that one?

It was the same price in the mid-year sale but I think I was giving all Paradox games a miss back then because I was considering the Paradox Publisher Pack. There doesn't seem to be a Paradox Pack anymore.... hmmm.
[/QUOTE]

It's a really good game, but I wouldn't bother if you already own CK2. CK2 is a better game, plus the CK1 interface seems ancient when you compare it to its newer sibling. If you want more of a board game feel, though, then go for it... for $2.49, you can't really go wrong.

[quote name='cranky2']Self-same reason for not getting Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai. I own everything else in the Total War franchise, all I ask is for a discounted bundle that includes all of the Shogun stuff and nothing else.[/QUOTE]

I picked up FOTS when it first came out. I don't have Shogun 2 or RotS, but as a big fan of the Navy, I just had to have FOTS. The ability to bombard from a naval force is just awesome. The fact that it's a standalone expansion is nice, too. Unfortunately, to play the game, I have to install the whole of Shogun 2, all 22gb worth.

[quote name='Preedatore']Was it just me, or did episode 5 of The Walking Dead fall pretty flat?[/QUOTE]

It was pretty inevitable. They had to bring everything to a similar close. Games like that will always peak in the middle story-wise.

I think most people didn't like the conclusion to the radio guy story much, but liked the last 10 minutes enough that it got a pass.

It's also a lot shorter than the others.

[quote name='Raptor25']I think most people didn't like the conclusion to the radio guy story much, but liked the last 10 minutes enough that it got a pass.

It's also a lot shorter than the others.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%.
I felt that there should have been something that related more directly to Clementine's family about the mysterious walkie-talkie figure, but other than that
and its brevity, I liked 5.

EDIT: didn't realize this was a spoiller per se, but . . . wrapped

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is the hive consensus of buying the Dow franchise pack just for the dlc and original games.

I doubt I'd get back to the original games but there is always a possibility The dlc seems to consist of shortcut items and skins for multiplayer. I hope to play the campaign and some of the coop multiplayer but not interested in competitive. Any opinions?

Btw guys please use spoiler tags for the walking dead talk.

BTW if there's some especially good Amazon deal can someone please repost it here? I'm finding that thread pretty insufferable these days.

[quote name='Motoki']BTW if there's some especially good Amazon deal can someone please repost it here? I'm finding that thread pretty insufferable these days.[/QUOTE]
Spec Ops and Darkness 2 are $2.49 each after coupon if those interest you.

[quote name='pROvIs']So what is the hive consensus of buying the Dow franchise pack just for the dlc and original games.

I doubt I'd get back to the original games but there is always a possibility The dlc seems to consist of shortcut items and skins for multiplayer. I hope to play the campaign and some of the coop multiplayer but not interested in competitive. Any opinions?

Btw guys please use spoiler tags for the walking dead talk.[/QUOTE]

The Dawn of War Franchise pack is bar far one of the best Steam sale items this year. Great value. A lot of the DLC is pretty lame except for the Tau Commander who is a lot of fun.The first set of Dawn of War games are far more RTSey than the DOW2 series was in the campaign though. Probably won't find a better deal. Kind of a toss up if you already own the DOW2 series though.

[quote name='pROvIs']So what is the hive consensus of buying the Dow franchise pack just for the dlc and original games.

Btw guys please use spoiler tags for the walking dead talk.[/QUOTE]

IMO, the original DOW games are great, but they're more old-school RTS games than DOW II, which shifted its focus to tactical gameplay with a few units at your disposal (well, until you get to Retribution, when you can start churning out units).

The DLC is only really of any value if you're playing MP games or Last Stand mode in DOW II. So the bottom line is grab the pack if you want the original games--skip it if not.

[quote name='Motoki']BTW if there's some especially good Amazon deal can someone please repost it here? I'm finding that thread pretty insufferable these days.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. You know it's bad when even the normally unflappable Tony states that the thread is "sucking his soul." Sigh.

[quote name='Preedatore']Was it just me, or did episode 5 of The Walking Dead fall pretty flat?[/QUOTE]

I thought the reason for the
Stranger
was a bit of a stretch, and the ending was so predictable. Pair that up with not being able to make any choice to change it, and I'd call it a rough final chapter.

That said, I still love the game. That scene with Duck and his mother
in the forest almost put me in tears.
And Carley
getting gunned down suddenly on the side of the road really got to me, too.

So while the ending wasn't great, I think the journey sure was.

Storywise, I think the best episode was number 2. The events on that farm just went from normal to completely crazy in a couple minutes and the build-up was great. Episodes 3 and 4 had great character development and the stories were great, but none ever topped episode 2 for me.

[quote name='plft']Spec Ops and Darkness 2 are $2.49 each after coupon if those interest you.[/QUOTE]
Picked up Spec Ops: The Line a few days ago and loved it, gunplay is functional and gets rather intense by the end of the game. Story, atmosphere, and setting are top notch.

How important is understanding of Darkness 2 if you've never played Darkness 1 as that is apparently not available for PC.

[quote name='guardian_owl']How important is understanding of Darkness 2 if you've never played Darkness 1 as that is apparently not available for PC.[/QUOTE]
Not at all. Never played Darkness 1 and it made no difference. What connecting story elements there are are trivial to noodle out (main character had a sweetheart, she died in the last game).

[quote name='Syntax Error']Not at all. Never played Darkness 1 and it made no difference. What connecting story elements there are are trivial to noodle out
(main character had a sweetheart, she died in the last game).
[/QUOTE]

Spoilers, dude. Not everyone's played the first yet, and that's a big moment in the game.

While the story in Darkness 2 is far enough removed, it's getting to know the characters that makes Darkness 1 a good playthrough before Darkness 2. It's a much more impactful moment than Syntax is implying
when Jenny meets her end
because there is a moment in the game where you actually sit on the couch with her watching a movie, and you can sit there for the entire movie if you want. It seems dumb, but in the game it works. It really shows you how
The Darkness destroys Jackie's life.

[quote name='dbolt']I swear Mass Effect was in a flash sale already...[/QUOTE]

It was a daily on the 24th and latter ME2 as a community choice.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']so Dreamfall/The Longest Journey?[/QUOTE]

That's what I've heard. Picked up TLJ back in the summer sale. I've heard Dreamfall isn't quite finished - i.e. it's a bit of a cliffhanger. Figured I'd pass on it until I played TLJ and give them some time to finish the rumored sequel.

Secret world is gonna be a few dollars cheaper through Amazon. I rather get it here and use steam then origin (ugh) which I don't even want to turn on for my "free" games. Steam needs to put that game on further sale...

[quote name='INCyr']That's what I've heard. Picked up TLJ back in the summer sale. I've heard Dreamfall isn't quite finished - i.e. it's a bit of a cliffhanger. Figured I'd pass on it until I played TLJ and give them some time to finish the rumored sequel.[/QUOTE]

It's not rumored anymore, they've announced they're working on it.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Secret world is gonna be a few dollars cheaper through Amazon. I rather get it here and use steam then origin (ugh) which I don't even want to turn on for my "free" games. Steam needs to put that game on further sale...[/QUOTE]

Origin is not required. You just launch the games launcher and that runs the game. The problem with steam and mmos is that all that I've used just run the MMO launcher which downloads the rest of the game and updates etc. All steam does for those games is add an extra step. For me that is basically the same as adding a non steam game to library.

[quote name='Corpekata']It's not rumored anymore, they've announced they're working on it.[/QUOTE]
Ok so do I buy Dreamfall now, or wait till the next time it's on sale after the Kickstarter?

Note: No intention on playing if bought next 2 months.

They finally quit tempting me with AoE III and then they put Tropico 4 back up. I gotta have the will power to wait for the Complete Edition of Tropico 4

[quote name='pROvIs']Origin is not required. You just launch the games launcher and that runs the game. The problem with steam and mmos is that all that I've used just run the MMO launcher which downloads the rest of the game and updates etc. All steam does for those games is add an extra step. For me that is basically the same as adding a non steam game to library.[/QUOTE]

I don't even think you can get TSW added to Origin if you wanted to (unless you buy it there of course). Has anyone been successful in getting EA to add it to their Origin account?

I can confirm the keys from Amazon, which is for the version published by EA, do not activate to Origin either through the normal or legacy links that I have gotten other EA games to activate there with.

You do get a nice image in your forum sig if you use one and a Steam T-shirt and jacket in game :lol: but yeah I think the appeal for most people of having it on Steam is just to always have it attached to that account (ie if you move to a new computer all your stuff is still linked to that account and you don't need to re-download games elsewhre re-add a bunch of links). Also I do have to say the download speeds on Steam for it were quite good vs people claiming from Amazon and Funcom it has been slow.

That said, it's probably not worth a $10 difference in price for that for most people.

*Edited to add a Disclaimer: Let's please be civil even if you think it's silly for people to want certain games on Steam vs non-Steam. This issue always seems to start flame wars and I'm rather tired of it at this point. Let's just let people buy games where they want for whatever reason please. Thanks.

This is not meant for any specific person, I'm just putting it out there to try to head off some unpleasantness. A lot of people do a lot of things with their money that I don't think makes very much sense but it's not my place to tell them they shouldn't do it.

[quote name='Motoki']I don't even think you can get TSW added to Origin if you wanted to (unless you buy it there of course). Has anyone been successful in getting EA to add it to their Origin account?

I can confirm the keys from Amazon, which is for the version published by EA, do not activate to Origin either through the normal or legacy links that I have gotten other EA games to activate there with.

You do get a nice image in your forum sig if you use one and a Steam T-shirt and jacket in game :lol: but yeah I think the appeal for most people of having it on Steam is just to always have it attached to that account (ie if you move to a new computer all your stuff is still linked to that account and you don't need to re-download games elsewhre re-add a bunch of links). Also I do have to say the download speeds on Steam for it were quite good vs people claiming from Amazon and Funcom it has been slow.

That said, it's probably not worth a $10 difference in price for that for most people.[/QUOTE]

How much of it even downloads off steam? Most MMO games on steam I've used download the installer client and that's it. Sometimes they download a base version that is patched when you open the game. Also updates are usually handled in the launcher rather than through steam. Bottom line is that you get very little if any benefit having it on steam. That can be said for most games that require an external account. Maybe tsw is different but most are simple tacked on launcher/installers.

[quote name='pROvIs']How much of it even downloads off steam? Most MMO games on steam I've used download the installer client and that's it. Sometimes they download a base version that is patched when you open the game. Also updates are usually handled in the launcher rather than through steam. Bottom line is that you get very little if any benefit having it on steam. That can be said for most games that require an external account. Maybe tsw is different but most are simple tacked on launcher/installers.[/QUOTE]

I believe this is correct. Amazon can have slow DL speeds for some people, but I don't know who would even use them. I just used the Funcom installer/DLer and my speeds were fine, like 3 weeks ago or whenever I bought it. I just suspect you have a ton of people buying to get that bonus so servers are getting hit hard lately.

Is anyone able to get Spec Ops: The Line for 2,50 for me from Amazon? (If it is a steam version?) Or does that require some kind of coupon I don't have? I wouldn't want to waste anyone's coupons. If it is no big hassle and possible, it would be greatly apreciated :) I don't own a creditcard so I can't buy from Amazon.

[quote name='pROvIs']How much of it even downloads off steam? Most MMO games on steam I've used download the installer client and that's it. Sometimes they download a base version that is patched when you open the game. Also updates are usually handled in the launcher rather than through steam. Bottom line is that you get very little if any benefit having it on steam. That can be said for most games that require an external account. Maybe tsw is different but most are simple tacked on launcher/installers.[/QUOTE]

The bulk of it downloaded from Steam for me. The launcher did do some updated but nothing major and it didn't take that long. I think from Steam I got ~ 27 GB or so.

I know with TOR some of their updates from the launcher just go on, and on, and on, and on and take all year but that wasn't the case here.

I'm not sure if Funcom is actually updating the version up on Steam on a fairly regular basis or not but it would seem that way based on my experience.

But again, like I said I don't think this is enough to justify a $10 difference for most people.

Guess I'll pass for now then, Darkness 1 for consoles is old enough that it appears to be gone from the stock of every website I search for, and I can't justify paying 4x the price of the sequel for a used copy.

[quote name='Motoki']I don't even think you can get TSW added to Origin if you wanted to (unless you buy it there of course). Has anyone been successful in getting EA to add it to their Origin account?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[quote name='Therapy']Is anyone able to get Spec Ops: The Line for 2,50 for me from Amazon? (If it is a steam version?) Or does that require some kind of coupon I don't have? I wouldn't want to waste anyone's coupons. If it is no big hassle and possible, it would be greatly apreciated :) I don't own a creditcard so I can't buy from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Its steam DRM and $2.49 if you have the $5 off for the Editors Choice. Valid the month of Jan. only.

[quote name='Therapy']Is anyone able to get Spec Ops: The Line for 2,50 for me from Amazon? (If it is a steam version?) Or does that require some kind of coupon I don't have? I wouldn't want to waste anyone's coupons. If it is no big hassle and possible, it would be greatly apreciated :) I don't own a creditcard so I can't buy from Amazon.[/QUOTE]
It requires a coupon that you got by buying anything digiitally from amazon before the first of the year. You might try checking the steam trade and group buy thread, perhaps someone buying the bioshock 1/2 + spec ops $10 bundle ($5 after coupon) doesn't want spec ops and would sell it to you for $2.50-3.50, that's how I got mine a couple of days ago.

[quote name='guardian_owl']It requires a coupon that you got by buying anything digiitally from amazon before the first of the year. You might try checking the steam trade and group buy thread, perhaps someone buying the bioshock 1/2 + spec ops $10 bundle ($5 after coupon) doesn't want spec ops and would sell it to you for $2.50-3.50, that's how I got mine a couple of days ago.[/QUOTE]

I see! Thanks for clarifying that :) I'll check if I have any luck there.

It's steam. "Steam account required for game activation and installation."
The coupon required you to have bought a Digital Download game in Nov/Dec of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back