The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TheLongshot']To be fair, the game is 13 years old. That being said, I had no issues running it on my current rig, but I don't have a widescreen monitor and I played it full screen.[/QUOTE]
I may try the demo again on my old XP laptop which has been retired, but I won't be getting to it before the end of the sale. It's something I want to play, but backlog.

[quote name='asheskitty']Demos are often version 1.0 (unpatched) or some versions behind, so it's hard to tell actual buggyness of the game from the demos.[/QUOTE]
While I understand devs not wanting to devote resources towards updating demos, it reflects poorly on the game and in this case (at least temporarily) has cost them a sale.

[quote name='Motoki']I generally browse the Steam forums for any unknown game before I consider buying it. A few angry rants here and there is normal but if you have the bulk of the natives restless that's a problem.

You know it's bad when you see a thread entitled "Random Frustrations Topic". ;)

I own it. I wish I could tell you but...well you know how it goes![/QUOTE]
Yeah, totally understand. I still haven't gotten around to Wanderlust to give you a review yet. (you asked over a month ago lol) :cry:

[quote name='louiedog']When you're a digital hoarder, how do your friends and family know that you need help?

[youtube]CJSce_Haf3o[/youtube][/QUOTE]

My wife asked me this a few weeks ago. Along with do you buy digital games so she doesn't see them. Lol

I just talked myself out of impulse buying the rest of the Magicka DLC that I don't already own. Looks like I am missing some item packs, robes and LIC. Anything worth the purchase?

Magicka: Horror Props Item Pack
Magicka: Holiday Spirit Item Pack
Magicka: Heirlooms Item Pack
Magicka: Peculiar Gadgets Item Pack

Magicka: Aspiring Musician Robes
Magicka: Mega Villain Robes

Magicka: Lonely Island Cruise

[quote name='pROvIs']My wife asked me this a few weeks ago. Along with do you buy digital games so she doesn't see them. Lol[/QUOTE]
I've been telling my wife that "Steam" is our water company.

And that they bill me twice a week.

[quote name='louiedog']When you're a digital hoarder, how do your friends and family know that you need help?[/QUOTE]
God where did 45 minutes of my life go? That hit home. ;)

[quote name='pROvIs']My wife asked me this a few weeks ago. Along with do you buy digital games so she doesn't see them. Lol[/QUOTE]
What they don't see, won't hurt them. Heaven forbids she ever gets the upper hand on "You've got enough shoes!"* argument :lol:

* - for avoidance of doubt, the correct answer is "You can never have enough!"

[quote name='Motoki']I generally browse the Steam forums for any unknown game before I consider buying it. A few angry rants here and there is normal but if you have the bulk of the natives restless that's a problem.

You know it's bad when you see a thread entitled "Random Frustrations Topic". ;)
[/QUOTE]

I played the demo with no issues at all. It was fun, though I sucked at the game. It looks like the devs are trying to fix all the issues the game apparently has but maybe its best to wait for the summer sale :/

I'm still planning on buying MDV on the last day though :p

You know, as sad as it is, there definitely is less guilt associated with adding to your Steam library as opposed to coming back from Half Price Books with 10 boxed PC games trying to explain what a great deal they were and how you will totally play them all.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Painkiller 50%-75%[/QUOTE]

Public Service Announcement: Save yourself some money. This is the only one you want. The rest are cheap knockoffs.

[quote name='Palinn']I just talked myself out of impulse buying the rest of the Magicka DLC that I don't already own. Looks like I am missing some item packs, robes and LIC. Anything worth the purchase?

[/QUOTE]

Most of that other stuff is very very minor. Having said that, I did pick up the Mega Villain Robes this time around. Love me some villains.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I've been telling my wife that "Steam" is our water company.

And that they bill me twice a week.[/QUOTE]

Damn that's good. :applause:

[quote name='Palinn']I just talked myself out of impulse buying the rest of the Magicka DLC
Magicka: Horror Props Item Pack
Magicka: Holiday Spirit Item Pack
Magicka: Heirlooms Item Pack
Magicka: Peculiar Gadgets Item Pack

Magicka: Aspiring Musician Robes
[/QUOTE]

That's a good point, there are new robes I haven't picked up....

I also got a Darkness 2, which I would have never considered ordinarily, but y'all gave it some good reviews and I don't know what else I'll do with these Amazon EC coupons...

[quote name='poxi']Legend and Underworld are the most recent games from the series. If you aren't nostalgic I suggest only getting those two.[/QUOTE]
Anniversary came after Legend. Anniversary and Underworld are the two most recent, not including Guardian of Light.

Ugh, I just got burned for buying a console game and it got cheaper a week later. About a $10 difference since it was from Amazon and Amazon discounts their games a bit but still.

Thank god for Steam where with digital gaming (with any retailer such as Steam, GMG, Amazon), I don't have to worry about losing $10-15 a game because I buy games when they are $10 or less :lol:.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anniversary came after Legend. Anniversary and Underworld are the two most recent, not including Guardian of Light.[/QUOTE]
Technically you are right, but since Anniversary is only renewed Tomb Raider I and the story from Legend is continued in Underworld, I consider those two as the most recent.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I've been telling my wife that "Steam" is our water company.

And that they bill me twice a week.[/QUOTE]

I love this.

Also, I somehow never picked up KOTOR 2 on Steam, so that's my 2nd purchase of this sale so far. I decided to hold off on anything that looks like future Indie Bundle components (FTL, looking at you, bud).

[quote name='jshackles']Updated the Enhanced Steam Chrome plugin again. This time it will highlight all of the DLC in the game page that you own. Just in time for Magicka! Update to version 0.7!

Install Here
[/QUOTE]

Wow this extension just keeps getting better. Thanks for continuing the work. I've always wanted something like this to keep track of what I already own, especially the DLC.

[quote name='jshackles']Updated the Enhanced Steam Chrome plugin again. This time it will highlight all of the DLC in the game page that you own. Just in time for Magicka! Update to version 0.7!

Install Here

vgou5.png
[/QUOTE]

And this is exactly how I easily found the packs I did not own! Still haven't looked at my total $$$ spent though. :lol:

Install Here

[/QUOTE]
Is there an updating version for Firefox? I'm still on the original .1.

What are peoples opinion on LA Noire the complete edition? I have been tempted to purchase it for a while and just wanted to know if it is worth it or not.

Hmm... Unless the Dawn of War 1 stuff will come at 75% or there will be something else cheap & amazing, I think this sale is over for me.

SRT3 Complete: €7,50
Dawn of War GOTY: $1 from a fellow CAG
THQ Bundle for Darksiders & Red Faction Armageddon (traded for my spare HiB 3 key... did it for Darksiders though. I owned the rest except RFA)

And that's it... lol[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well went ahead with Magical Drop V, and ran through the story mode twice with no issues, aside from my own being terrible at the game of course. Looking at that "Random Frustrations" thread, it looks mostly like cosmetic complaints, art style/portraits and complaints about some mechanics with arguable validity. As far as the few technical complaints I saw there, I had no slow down and the load times were as fast as I'd expect on a non-SSD and no crashes. I haven't tried any on-line play modes or anything but so far it works great for me and is a solid non-emulated Magical Drop game. Had more issues with Hotline Miami and Magic 2013 so far.

[quote name='plft']Is there an updating version for Firefox? I'm still on the original .1.[/QUOTE]

Here is a copy of the 0.7 code:

http://pastebin.com/6RQsAnyX

If you're using Greasemonkey or Ninjakit, you should be able to open your existing script, and paste this over the top of it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']You know, as sad as it is, there definitely is less guilt associated with adding to your Steam library as opposed to coming back from Half Price Books with 10 boxed PC games trying to explain what a great deal they were and how you will totally play them all.[/QUOTE]

Get out of my head.

[/QUOTE]

Someone should post a link to this man's wishlist.

[quote name='TheOffice']What are peoples opinion on LA Noire the complete edition? I have been tempted to purchase it for a while and just wanted to know if it is worth it or not.[/QUOTE]

Writing and acting is great; gameplay is shaky (do not expect GTA); pace is slow; port is subpar (fps cap); facial animation is incredible; atmosphere and art direction outstanding.

[quote name='dfg']
Someone should post a link to this man's wishlist.
[/QUOTE]

Speaking of wishlists, that's what I'm going to try to implement next. Rather than highlighting in green the games that you own, I'm going to try to highlight items in your wishlist with a different color. Purple maybe?

I'm also going to try to build an options page for the extension where you can set what color you want it to highlight as and an option to enable or disable the "total spent" portion. Firefox / Greasemonkey users will have to do this manually though, or install Chrome. :)

[quote name='dfg']
Writing and acting is great; gameplay is shaky (do not expect GTA); pace is slow; port is subpar (fps cap); facial animation is incredible; atmosphere and art direction outstanding.[/QUOTE]

LA Noire was one of my favourite games I played in the last year. It's got significant flaws; the large open world is largely wasted, though incredible, initially the "lie" button was going to be called accuse, or something, so sometimes your character flies off the handle when you just want to point out you think people might be lying

BUT: The atmosphere, writing, animation, attention to detail and overall feel of solving crimes is fantastic.

I played it on PS3, so I can't comment on port issues.

I'd recommend a light/pastel blue for wishlist personally. Turning off total spent is also an option that I'm sure plenty of us would appreciate :lol:

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Would anyone recommend Tomb Raider if I love Uncharted. If so, which single game would you recommend out of a pack?[/QUOTE]

Speaking in terms of the more recent Tomb Raider games, IMO the old games haven't aged that well, and the movement will fell clunky and awkward.

It depends on what you enjoy out of Uncharted. Uncharted to me is much more about the action and story telling in some amazing environments. But the Tomb Raider games are much more about the exploration and puzzle solving, and maybe this is why they don't pull off well paced stories. Story is where most of the Tomb Raider games fall apart, IMO, and the shooting isn't as solid (but Uncharted would also be better if it had less shooting). I think the exploration and puzzle solving in the recent Tomb Raider games is more interesting than those elements in Uncharted, but Uncharted is still the better overall series. I would pick up Underworld, the most recent Tomb Raider game if I was going to get one of them, then maybe Legend or Anniversary. They refined a lot of the gameplay in Underworld.

That's funny, my wife doesn't like games on the shelf but it's only because of the space they take up. I don't think she realizes how many downloadable games I have, but money isn't a concern so she probably wouldn't care. She would probably ask if I can get all my games that way.

[quote name='Genocidal']I'd recommend a light/pastel blue for wishlist personally. Turning off total spent is also an option that I'm sure plenty of us would appreciate :lol:[/QUOTE]

Good point on the light blue. I guess keeping with Steam's color theme, the "user in game" color from the client would probably work best. Of course, if I were to implement an options page, you could change this to whatever color you wanted to.

I'm also open to any Steam gift / donations you guys can come up with. :bouncy: But really I'm just doing this because I personally find these features useful and I got tired of waiting for someone else to write an extension. :)

[quote name='jshackles']Speaking of wishlists, that's what I'm going to try to implement next. Rather than highlighting in green the games that you own, I'm going to try to highlight items in your wishlist with a different color. Purple maybe?

I'm also going to try to build an options page for the extension where you can set what color you want it to highlight as and an option to enable or disable the "total spent" portion. Firefox / Greasemonkey users will have to do this manually though, or install Chrome. :)[/QUOTE]
wow, this is fucking awesome, thanks!!!! :bouncy:

[quote name='mrsamsa']LA Noire was one of my favourite games I played in the last year. It's got significant flaws; the large open world is largely wasted, though incredible, initially the "lie" button was going to be called accuse, or something, so sometimes your character flies off the handle when you just want to point out you think people might be lying

BUT: The atmosphere, writing, animation, attention to detail and overall feel of solving crimes is fantastic.

I played it on PS3, so I can't comment on port issues.[/QUOTE]

I'm probably in the minority (I'm used to it), but I wasn't really blown away by the much-ballyhooed facial animation technology. It didn't really seem to work all that well as described: I accused quite a few folks of lying when they avoided looking at me and they weren't giving me the whole story but the game makes a weird distinction between blatant lying and omitting the truth, as though it were programmed by a rotating team of philosophers. As far as the way it looks, I honestly though the facial animations were just as good or better in the Uncharted games and Heavy Rain.

Having said that, I did enjoy the story (although there will be probably more than one time that you'll want to kick the protagonist in the nads).

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Looks like all James Bond titles have been removed. Boo![/QUOTE]

Wow, that sucks! Perhaps Activision will be coming out with a new Bond Bundle ?

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Wow, that sucks! Perhaps Activision will be coming out with a new Bond Bundle ?[/QUOTE]

More likely they lost the rights and the games are gone forever.

[quote name='yayamo']What do you mean? They put KOTOR on 75% off...

...for the 974th time.[/QUOTE]

Was hoping it would hit 90% off :( lol

I'm aware there is a thread for Gamestop promotions, but this seems worth mentioning given how many of us have duplicates of the same game on multiple consoles. Gamestop is having a promo in which you get an additionaly $10 credit for every three games traded in worth more than $2 or $2.50 (I forget which), and I traded in 25 games or so that I have duplicates of on Steam or will never play again for a ridiculous $200 Steam credit. This promo expires on the 6th. Hopefully others benefit from this, and now before the Steam winter sale ends is the time to do it!

[quote name='Nidaba']I'm interested in Miasmata before it goes off sale, has anyone tried it?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried it, but looks like there is at least one review up for now on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXmkPWkPr4Y

It did just come out though, so unless you're planning on playing it right away, it should very likely see a 75% off sale in the upcoming months. Still, I have it on my wishlist too, looks like a neat unique game.

[quote name='BernardoOne']If anyone is interested in Painkiller Hell and Damnation you can get a coupon for a furthrt 50% discount here http://eu.alienwarearena.com/deal/66-6-off-painkiller-hell-damnation . It will stack with the current discount.[/QUOTE]

The page says that's it's a 66.6% off coupon (obviously a play on the mark of the beast=666) but it shows as a 50% in Steam, and expires Jan 18. It only stacks with the base game, and not the collector's edition or the collector's edition upgrade pack. Thanks for posting, but I think I'll pass for now.

[quote name='supershammy']I'm aware there is a thread for Gamestop promotions, but this seems worth mentioning given how many of us have duplicates of the same game on multiple consoles. Gamestop is having a promo in which you get an additionaly $10 credit for every three games traded in worth more than $2 or $2.50 (I forget which), and I traded in 25 games or so that I have duplicates of on Steam or will never play again for a ridiculous $200 Steam credit. This promo expires on the 6th. Hopefully others benefit from this, and now before the Steam winter sale ends is the time to do it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up!
Going through my old Xbox 360 library; hopefully these older titles meet the $2.00 minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back