The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evantrees'][Razor2]'s terrible do not buy it, please.
[/QUOTE]

I had it from an Indie Gala so I pulled it up to see if it's worth two bucks.

It's not. Clumsy controls, very cramped and narrow game play space (I couldn't get it to run in widescreen, and the HUD is on the left and right sides of the screen, making it even narrower). Very generic ships. Weapons are boring. It's not even as fun as those DOS Freeware shooters I used to play as a teenager.

Sine Mora, Gundemonium, Jamestown -- there are some very charming SHUMPS out there to play instead. Skip this one.

[quote name='Motoki']BTW if there's some especially good Amazon deal can someone please repost it here? I'm finding that thread pretty insufferable these days.[/QUOTE]

Yes please. I feel like every time I venture outside this thread, I discover other parts of CAG are the typical internet cesspools of abuse and mean-spiritedness.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']Does anybody know if or when War of Roses will go on sale?[/QUOTE]

It's on sale right now on Steam. It's also on sale on Amazon, where if you ordered another digital game in November or December, you'll have a $5 coupon, bringing the price down further.

Just remember that there's a standard and a deluxe edition.

My internal debate over war of the roses continues. I bought a chivalry 4 pack a few days ago and gave them to friends. War of the roses looks similar but some say its better some worse. The amazon price is hot but I'm not sure ill play it having chivalry and having friends who will be playing chivalry as well.

I know this has been asked before but is Tropico 4 worth it if I own Tropico 3 and haven't spent much time with it? I played the demo for 4 and became interested but wanted to get the opinions of all of y'all who have spent some significant time with the game.

WTF happened to Skyrim? It was set at $40 before the community vote as a base price and so people voted assuming we'd get 50% off the base price, not for them to jack the price up to the equivalent of 25% off. Steam is causing me to lose alot of faith in them this sale.

Hey everyone, I just updated the "Enhanced Steam" plugin to show you the actual amount saved when looking at a bundle. New update version is 0.6.

For now, you may have to load the bundle page, let it find out which games you own, then refresh the bundle page, which will show you the actual amount you'll save for the bundle. This is calculated by adding the cost of all of the items you do not own and subtracting the bundle price.

[quote name='Bulkoth']WTF happened to Skyrim? It was set at $40 before the community vote as a base price and so people voted assuming we'd get 50% off the base price, not for them to jack the price up to the equivalent of 25% off. Steam is causing me to lose alot of faith in them this sale.[/QUOTE]

It was never $40 as a base price.

[quote name='Bulkoth']False, it was $40 as a base price as the voting was going on, I checked before voting.[/QUOTE]

I think you're confusing "base price" with "sale price". When it was up for vote, it was already on sale for $40 (33% off). The 50% off vote was not for 50% off the already discounted price, it was off of the base price ($59.99, which hasn't changed)

[quote name='Bulkoth']False, it was $40 as a base price as the voting was going on, I checked before voting.[/QUOTE]

False. It was discounted 33% off to $40. The base price was still $60.

[quote name='oman19']Never played any Torchlight games...anyone recommend them? Should I play the first one before diving into the second one?[/QUOTE]
Most people say no, Torchlight 2 improves upon 1 and there is no multilplayer in torchlight 1.

[quote name='pROvIs']My internal debate over war of the roses continues. I bought a chivalry 4 pack a few days ago and gave them to friends. War of the roses looks similar but some say its better some worse. The amazon price is hot but I'm not sure ill play it having chivalry and having friends who will be playing chivalry as well.[/QUOTE]
Comparison by the guy who does the WTF is... videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Q7FETIxZw

[quote name='oman19']Never played any Torchlight games...anyone recommend them? Should I play the first one before diving into the second one?[/QUOTE]
If you like Diablo then get Torclight as it's made by ex Diablo devs. I recommend going straight to the second game. First game is fine, but the second has online co-op.

[quote name='jshackles']
P3nrc.png
[/QUOTE]
You rock. I'll try this out when I get back home.

On an unrelated note.
WTF, the Skyrim DLC isn't even discounted. Geez.

Wish it'd been Sleeping Dogs instead of Skyrim, but that's just karma for all the votes I was laughing at earlier, I guess.

The good news is, gamersgate finally refunded me for the beth packs they took away.

What's the thought on Tropico 3 vs 4? 3 is on GMG for 1.75 (fake edit: I guess 3 isn't steam) GMG does have Jet Set Radio for 2.38 after coupon (GMG30-DPLIM-DN831)

Also, all kinds of end-of-sale stuff going on over at GOG today.

4 is probably the better game simply because the engine is a lot better/easier on computers. 3 is not very well optimized. 4 doesn't really look any better, but I can't say that bothers me in those types of games.

Tropico 4 is quite similar to 3. That said, 4 is an improvement in most ways, graphics, gameplay, bugs, story, etc. There is also the Modern Times expansion that adds another large campaign.

I'd recommend 4 over 3 if you haven't played much of 3. If you have played 3, then you probably already want 4 for the improvements and new missions.

[quote name='imac2much']Agreed. You know it's bad when even the normally unflappable Tony states that the thread is "sucking his soul." Sigh.[/QUOTE]

That depressing thread, like Amazon's PC gaming indexing, is a complete clusterfuck.

Re: DoW Franchise. I've said it numerous times since blind buying it last week: excellent value. Putting in an hour or so for a mission, not doing any crazy marathon gaming, is the way to go, IMHO. Accumulated 13 hours in DoW's 11 missions, about 2 hours into Winter Assault which has 6 or 12 missions. At this rate, the hours of entertainment will be worth the $9.99...

Multiple edits as auto-spelling is shaq-fuing me in the ass.

[quote name='Lint21']Tropico 4 is quite similar to 3. That said, 4 is an improvement in most ways, graphics, gameplay, bugs, story, etc. There is also the Modern Times expansion that adds another large campaign.

I'd recommend 4 over 3 if you haven't played much of 3. If you have played 3, then you probably already want 4 for the improvements and new missions.[/QUOTE]

I have nothing to add to the Tropico 3/4 discussion but just at this very moment realized that my holiday Trailer Park Boys marathon on Netflix has finally educated me on the identity of your avatar. :lol:

Painkiller 50%-75%
Magika 75%
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 75% $2.50 each
Dark Souls 50% $20
Sniper Elite 75%
Tomb Raider 75% (all nine for $15)

Its a good deal but I know I would never play all nine Tomb Raider games, are there 1 or 2 of them which are stand outs?

[quote name='Palinn']I have nothing to add to the Tropico 3/4 discussion but just at this very moment realized that my holiday Trailer Park Boys marathon on Netflix has finally educated me on the identity of your avatar. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Haha! I love that the pic I'm using has him holding a rum and coke - as always.

Watch out for samsquanch monsters and shithawks!

[quote name='guardian_owl']
Its a good deal but I know I would never play all nine Tomb Raider games, are there 1 or 2 of them which are stand outs?[/QUOTE]
Legend and Underworld are the most recent games from the series. If you aren't nostalgic I suggest only getting those two.

I noticed that this time around on the Skyrim sale the DLC is only 33% off (was 50%).

[quote name='Motoki']Vote for Doom 3 so that Doom Rails might mistakenly go back on sale for 74 cents again. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Done!

[quote name='TheLongshot']Damnit Steam, put Crusader Kings II as a daily already so that Amazon can price match it for me![/QUOTE]

Amazon isn't matching everything so if it does go up, you might have to pick it up on Steam...

At least this game goes on sale all the time and everywhere so it shouldn't be too tough to track down.

(Amazon hasn't matched Steam's Total War Grand Master Collection).

Really wanted to pick up Shogun 2, but not at 66% off. It has been 75% off in the past don't know why it is 66% trying to milk more money out of sales I am guessing.

I'm thinking about picking up SW-KOTR 1&2 off the new deals for today (I know it's been on sale previously, but am just now considering picking them up). Any thoughts on how well the games looks on PC?

I am also wondering for Max Payne 1 & 2 (still on sale from yesterday). I have both on PS2 in my backlog, but if they would look better on PC, I would go that way...

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I love how the Painkiller franchise is 50 to 75% off... except it's really 33 to 75% off since the new one is only 33% off. Good job Steam![/QUOTE]

The new one is half off.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Steam aren't event trying now, are they?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? They put KOTOR on 75% off...

...for the 974th time.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I'm thinking about picking up SW-KOTR 1&2 off the new deals for today (I know it's been on sale previously, but am just now considering picking them up). Any thoughts on how well the games looks on PC?

I am also wondering for Max Payne 1 & 2 (still on sale from yesterday). I have both on PS2 in my backlog, but if they would look better on PC, I would go that way...[/QUOTE]

The KOTORs hold up well today. The graphics are decent enough that they don't take away from the game. Make sure to check out the Restored Content mod for the 2nd game since Obsidian had to rush the ending when releasing it.

Absolutely worth the $5 for both, as they each hold 20+ hours of gameplay.

[quote name='yangwenli']Amazon isn't matching everything so if it does go up, you might have to pick it up on Steam...

At least this game goes on sale all the time and everywhere so it shouldn't be too tough to track down.

(Amazon hasn't matched Steam's Total War Grand Master Collection).[/QUOTE]

Well, if they don't, it means at least one of my $5 certificates will go to waste. That's really the reason why I want it to, because options are limited for me. That, and I have a lot of credit on Amazon.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I'm thinking about picking up SW-KOTR 1&2 off the new deals for today (I know it's been on sale previously, but am just now considering picking them up). Any thoughts on how well the games looks on PC?

I am also wondering for Max Payne 1 & 2 (still on sale from yesterday). I have both on PS2 in my backlog, but if they would look better on PC, I would go that way...[/QUOTE]

The first one didn't run all that well for me, but I am replaying KOTOR2 right now with the new content mods, and the game holds up pretty well. I'm no graphics-whore though.

So I think I'm probably going to do my "last day" purchases early because I think we've probably already seen all the sales one way or another and I don't want to forget while I'm at MAGfest for the weekend.

So, if Magical Drop V somehow hits a flash or daily, you're welcome.

[quote name='kiwimonster']Really wanted to pick up Shogun 2, but not at 66% off. It has been 75% off in the past don't know why it is 66% trying to milk more money out of sales I am guessing.[/QUOTE]

If Steam had made a 'Shogun 2' bundle consisting of:

Shogun 2 + DLC & Shogun 2: FotS + DLC for around $15

I would have bit.

I was looking forward to grabbing The Longest Journey until I played the demo. After I ini tweaked in windowed mode so it wasn't stretched I found out that windowed caused my windows fonts to change, the game to freeze and require hard quit on scene changes, movies to play in a different location than the window was located, and other issues. I'm sure it's a great game but I can't put up with all those issues to play it.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']So I think I'm probably going to do my "last day" purchases early because I think we've probably already seen all the sales one way or another and I don't want to forget while I'm at MAGfest for the weekend.

So, if Magical Drop V somehow hits a flash or daily, you're welcome.[/QUOTE]

Read this before you buy that horrible piece of trash: http://steamcommunity.com/app/204960/discussions/

[quote name='Genocidal']Read this before you buy that horrible piece of trash: http://steamcommunity.com/app/204960/discussions/[/QUOTE]

I generally browse the Steam forums for any unknown game before I consider buying it. A few angry rants here and there is normal but if you have the bulk of the natives restless that's a problem.

You know it's bad when you see a thread entitled "Random Frustrations Topic". ;)

[quote name='Tsel']How's that Dracula Origin game? Seeing as it's $2.49, that might be my only last minute purchase of this sale.[/QUOTE]

I own it. I wish I could tell you but...well you know how it goes!

[quote name='plft']I was looking forward to grabbing The Longest Journey until I played the demo. After I ini tweaked in windowed mode so it wasn't stretched I found out that windowed caused my windows fonts to change, the game to freeze and require hard quit on scene changes, movies to play in a different location than the window was located, and other issues. I'm sure it's a great game but I can't put up with all those issues to play it.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the game is 13 years old. That being said, I had no issues running it on my current rig, but I don't have a widescreen monitor and I played it full screen.

[quote name='Motoki']
I own it. I wish I could tell you but...well you know how it goes![/QUOTE]

When you're a digital hoarder, how do your friends and family know that you need help?

[youtube]CJSce_Haf3o[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back