The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='icedrake523']Has Civilization V GOTY been cheaper than $12.50? Is the GOTY worth getting to begin with? Never played the Civ franchise but I feel like trying it out.[/QUOTE]

Check out the Amazon 2k Strategy Super Bundle at $20:
http://www.amazon.com/2K-Strategy-Super-Pack-Download/dp/B00AMKTR48/ref=br_lf_m_1000728511_1_7_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=1451272842&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000728511&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12DN11HD58WCRYHJN688

CIV 5 GOTY
CIV 5 - Gods/Kings Expansion
CIV 4 Complete
Stronghold Complete Collection

And no, $12.50 is the norm price for CIV 5 GOTY when on sale

[quote name='The End']I gave serious thought to buying the pack. Mostly because it bundles in all the Playfirst games in there for some odd reason. But then after the response that I got to this question, I had to pass.[/QUOTE]

I gotta respect that you stick to your principles.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Oh, I see. As long as it's not frantic clicking, or something you have to do with great speed, I'm good. :p That's why I don't typically like real time strategies, I prefer to think about my actions, and not rely so much on muscle memory.
[/QUOTE]

No muscle memory needed for CK2! It can get a bit hectic at times, but all you have to do is pause the game, do what you want to, and then start time moving again at whatever speed you feel comfortable. It technically is turn-based strategy (each day in the game counts as a "turn" for the Clausewitz engine), but the "turns" (i.e. days) pass by themselves without you having to click an "end turn" button. Again, think SimCity -- you can speed up the game when there isn't much going on, slow it down when you need to, pause it to formulate strategy/execute complex maneuvering, and so forth.

The learning curve is a bit steep, and it plays very differently than a Civ game (not better -- I'm a fan of Civ 5, as well -- but very different). It's more than worth the time put into it, though, as it's one of the best strategy games I've ever played. (I'd rank Europa Universalis 3 higher than CK2, but that's just personal preference.)

[quote name='Broken Cage']I gotta respect that you stick to your principles.[/QUOTE]

Well it's not so much that it's a bad game. There are plenty of other bad games in that pack. And I already have my fair share of stinkers in my library. It's more the whole animal torture/mutilation angle to the game that I can't get past. I don't have any pets, nor am I an especially big animal lover. But that just seems a bit much for me.

Though I certainly don't want to discourage others from playing if they want. I know some people get a kick out playing horrible games. And I assume that it either doesn't bother them like it bothers me, or they can allow themselves to simply look past it.

Anyways, enough about Bad Rats. What are people picking up now that we've reached the last day?

I've already picked up these with a little help from JakeNome:
Act of War: Direct Action
Act of War: High Treason
Age of Wonders Trilogy Pack
Archon: Classic
Dark Sector
Farm Frenzy pack
Kohan Warchest
Sacrifice
Simulation Gaming Pack
Proof that I don't mind the occasional bad game. lol
Thrillville: Off the Rails

And I've got these sitting in my cart right now:
Ignite
Last Day of Work Complete Pack
Lucidity
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident
Ninja Blade
Sherlock Holmes & The Hound of The Baskervilles
SimBin Mega Bundle
Starscape
Winter Voices + Episodes

starting to lose hope that 'thomas was alone,' 'stealth bastard deluxe,' and 'Penumbra Black Plague Gold Edition' will see 75% off this sale :(

[quote name='The End']
Anyways, enough about Bad Rats. What are people picking up now that we've reached the last day?

I've already picked up these with a little help from JakeNome:
Simulation Gaming Pack ...[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of curious about Prison Tycoon, I wonder if it's anything like managing an actual prison... Anyone know?

[quote name='plft']Speaking of Tropico, are the first two games worth playing or did they not age well. $1.74 for the first game, expansion and second. http://store.steampowered.com/app/33520/[/QUOTE]
$1.74? Nah. $0.99? Probably.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Which is better, Tropico 3 Gold or Tropico 4 Vanilla?[/QUOTE]
I'd say 3 Gold is pretty good for $2.99...

but you may as well fork out $3.99 for the trilogy.

[quote name='jshackles']I'm kind of curious about Prison Tycoon, I wonder if it's anything like managing an actual prison... Anyone know?[/QUOTE]
I had a look but wasn't overly keen on the games currently available.

Prison Architect
should be out later this year and seems to be coming on very nicely. You can buy in now at Alpha status, and you'll get a key if/when it's released on Steam.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Stupid question, I know. We have one more day of new deals?[/QUOTE]

Nope we're done with the daily deals, but Valve announced they're going to "extend" the sale to this weekend by bringing back a few of the sales that have already run.

[quote name='The End']Anyways, enough about Bad Rats. What are people picking up now that we've reached the last day?[/QUOTE]

I bought:
Ignite
Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
Blocks That Matter
Brothers In Arms Complete Pack (watch it pop up as a flash sale)

[quote name='jshackles']Nope we're done with the daily deals, but Valve announced they're going to "extend" the sale to this weekend by bringing back a few of the sales.[/QUOTE]

Repeats of the repeats of the repeats of the repeats!!!!!!!

[quote name='jshackles']Nope we're done with the daily deals, but Valve announced they're going to "extend" the sale to this weekend by bringing back a few of the sales that have already run.[/QUOTE]

Ah, good. I figured something like that, as the Community tab was exploding with people buying things. :D

[quote name='Broken Cage']I had the same problem. I didn't like Civilization V until everyone kept talking about it. Now I've got like twelve hours this week.[/QUOTE]

One more turn! Just one more turn!

OMG (yes I really said that) I decided to install Civ 5 on my work computer so I could play over lunch hour. What a mistake that was! I had to close my door so no one would bother me and then had to smack myself in order to stop playing when I finally glanced at the clock and realized two hours had gone by.

I decided to start at the learner level so I wouldn't get too frustrated and quit but I think I am still going to get my arse handed to me soon as everyone seems to be expanding around me while my workers are chopping down forest.

Yeah, I agree.

Looks like a lot of the games are hidden object type games and are available on bigfishgames FWIW...

[quote name='Emuaust']Strategy First bundle for $20, that is a mighty tempting deal.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Palinn']One more turn! Just one more turn!

OMG (yes I really said that) I decided to install Civ 5 on my work computer so I could play over lunch hour. What a mistake that was! I had to close my door so no one would bother me and then had to smack myself in order to stop playing when I finally glanced at the clock and realized two hours had gone by.

I decided to start at the learner level so I wouldn't get too frustrated and quit but I think I am still going to get my arse handed to me soon as everyone seems to be expanding around me while my workers are chopping down forest.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wanted to play Dead Rising 2: OTR and Darksiders 1 & 2, but I've just been playing Civilization 5. I went for the earth map, marathon time, and easy difficulty. I've screwed up though. I built my soldiers all the way up to gunpowder, but I didn't build any ships. So now I'm the baddest man on the island, but all these other Civs are out there settling the rest of the planet, and I'm stuck.

Also, the Gods & Kings expansion has introduced Spies, and Egypt keeps stealing all of my tech. I've gone to war with them three times over it, but they just won't quit. I did steal a ton of stuff from Rome, and I'm just going to say this, Caesar is a dick. He and I were cool, trading horses for gold, and he comes out of nowhere and denounces me, and becomes friends with Egypt. I'm like whatever. I'm working a friendship with Japan so we can take out Rome together. I had Carthage involved, but Washington took out their capital.

I think the Strategy First pack is awesome. JackNome selling for $20 is awesome. I bought it largely for Wandering Willows, which has never been on sale and has stayed at $14.99. Wandering Willows has a lot in common with Animal Crossing, for those who care.

Some other gems in that bundle are Emerald City Confidential, Chocolatier, Puzzle Kingdoms.

For $20, it's a steal.

[quote name='Tsel']I bought that Strategy First bundle from Jake, primarily for all the ______ Dash games. I did have quite a few games, but it was still worth it to me. I also picked up the Pendulo pack from him and now I'm debating on getting the Mumbo Jumbo and maybe even the Popcap packs from him. Oh and that Painkiller pack. Damn you Jake.[/QUOTE]

Where do pandas hang out this time of night? I have had my eye on that Pendulo pack the entire sale but can't bring myself to shell out $15 for it even though the price seems fair.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think the Strategy First pack is awesome. JackNome selling for $20 is awesome. I bought it largely for Wandering Willows, which has never been on sale and has stayed at $14.99. Wandering Willows has a lot in common with Animal Crossing, for those who care.

Some other gems in that bundle are Emerald City Confidential, Chocolatier, Puzzle Kingdoms.

For $20, it's a steal.[/QUOTE]

Oh god damn it, now that you told me Wandering Willows is like Animal Crossing I will need to get that damned pack. :p

[quote name='Bitt3r']My Doom Rails won't launch. Sad day.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't work on Windows 8. At all.

I spent way too much time figuring that out and trying to solve it.

I also figured out that there are 6 people on the planet that still care about this game and none of them is the developer so good luck getting support for it.

Having said that, I still have some extra copies. :lol:

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think the Strategy First pack is awesome. JackNome selling for $20 is awesome. I bought it largely for Wandering Willows, which has never been on sale and has stayed at $14.99. Wandering Willows has a lot in common with Animal Crossing, for those who care.

For $20, it's a steal.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I am hesitating is that I hate wasting duplicate keys and own enough of the games already that this would annoy me. I'm assuming if Tony ever gets his deal going through Amazon that each game in the bundle will have a separate key. Who knows what the price will be or how many games will be included though. I don't remember if he gave that much detail.

I just played Deep Black Reloaded from the Strategy First pack for like an hour. I gotta say, I liked it.
It feels a lot like Deadspace in the way you move kinda sluggish due to wearing a suit and you don't move fast in general. It is a third person shooter where you spend a lot of your time underwater. You have a harpoon that you use to hack into computer panels and to pull guards off ledges into the water to kill them. The voice acting is lol and the story is standard B grade but does its job.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh god damn it, now that you told me Wandering Willows is like Animal Crossing I will need to get that damned pack. :p[/QUOTE]

Ha ha. Personally, I was delighted today when I started up Wandering Willows. I've wanted it for a long time. It's $6.99 on iOS, but it's never gone on sale there, either.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I just played Deep Black Reloaded from the Strategy First pack for like an hour. I gotta say, I liked it.
It feels a lot like Deadspace in the way you move kinda sluggish due to wearing a suit and you don't move fast in general. It is a third person shooter where you spend a lot of your time underwater. You have a harpoon that you use to hack into computer panels and to pull guards off ledges into the water to kill them. The voice acting is lol and the story is standard B grade but does its job.[/QUOTE]

The moral of this story is everyone should PM JakeNome for the Strategy First pack for $20.

He's gonna be like, "Damn, what's everyone suddenly wanting this for?" :D

Yeah, I've picked up the Pendulo and Daedalic Packs. And now you've really got me thinking about the Strategy First Pack.

Grrrr... ;)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I love JakeNome. I got the Pendulo, Strategy First, and Daedalic Packs from him. And Saint's Row the Third. And Blades of Time.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='utopianmachine']I love JakeNome. I got the Pendulo, Strategy First, and Daedalic Packs from him. And Saint's Row the Third. And Blades of Time.[/QUOTE]

So JakeNome joins the list of "companies" offering better deals than Steam! I now regret funding my Steam wallet even more than I did before your post. :lol:

[quote name='Palinn']So JakeNome joins the list of "companies" offering better deals than Steam! I now regret funding my Steam wallet even more than I did before your post. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was actually glad this time that I only had $20 in my Steam Wallet. Amazon has had some great deals, and my biggest purchases have been with JakeNome through Paypal.

I'm well set for the next 6 months.

90% of my brain: Dude, you're broke as hell. You don't need to buy any more games, especially since you have about 600 that you haven't touched yet. Besides, you have a bunch of games in that bundle already.

The other 10%: Yeah, but JakeNome's deal is so insane, it would be criminal NOT to buy it, and it negates the drawbacks of owning some of them. You can't afford NOT to buy it at that price.

90%: Shut up! You'll get us into trouble! Remember all that trouble I had covering up the hooker in San Diego?

All this talk about CK2 (which made me google to find out WHAT CK2 was.. thanks guys for using abbreviations when not everyone at home is following along)....

What packs are needed to play? Steam had an interesting back but Amazon is more ala carte with the offerings.

I do so love Civ... I could use some "highly concentrated crack". :)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']90% of my brain: Dude, you're broke as hell. You don't need to buy any more games, especially since you have about 600 that you haven't touched yet. Besides, you have a bunch of games in that bundle already.

The other 10%: Yeah, but JakeNome's deal is so insane, it would be criminal NOT to buy it, and it negates the drawbacks of owning some of them. You can't afford NOT to buy it at that price.

90%: Shut up! You'll get us into trouble! Remember all that trouble I had covering up the hooker in San Diego?[/QUOTE]

PSA:

Jake has one less Strategy First Bundle key.

BTW - I call him Jake "Gnome" and picture him as an actual gnome, complete with the red hat. It makes it even more fun.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']All this talk about CK2 (which made me google to find out WHAT CK2 was.. thanks guys for using abbreviations when not everyone at home is following along)....

What packs are needed to play? Steam had an interesting back but Amazon is more ala carte with the offerings.

I do so love Civ... I could use some "highly concentrated crack". :)[/QUOTE]
If you do want Crusader Kings 2. There are only 2 dlc's I recommend. One is the Sword of Islam which opens up the possibility of playing as an islamic dynasty. The other is the Legacy of Rome, which is focused on the Byzantine Empire, but also adds the faction system and a few other things to the game. All the other dlc is cosmetic (except for sunset invasion which some people find silly).

[quote name='jkimrey']PSA:

Jake has one less Strategy First Bundle key.

BTW - I call him Jake "Gnome" and picture him as an actual gnome, complete with the red hat. It makes it even more fun.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was his name until I tried to do a PM search. The panda is awfully cute though so I'll let it slide.

[quote name='Terlan']If you do want Crusader Kings 2. There are only 2 dlc's I recommend. One is the Sword of Islam which opens up the possibility of playing as an islamic dynasty. The other is the Legacy of Rome, which is focused on the Byzantine Empire, but also adds the faction system and a few other things to the game. All the other dlc is cosmetic (except for sunset invasion which some people find silly).[/QUOTE]

What about this "Sunset Invasion" expansion thing?

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']What about this "Sunset Invasion" expansion thing?[/QUOTE]

Some fake alternate history thing that does what if the Aztecs tried to invade Europe or some such.

I don't have it yet not sure if I will get it. There was a lot of controversy about it on the Paradox forums when it came out.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']What about this "Sunset Invasion" expansion thing?[/QUOTE]
What it is, is a what if scenario. Where the Aztec's invade Europe mid to late game. It's clearly ahistorical, and it can be turned off if you buy it and decide you don't want it happening this or that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back