The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='utopianmachine']I love JakeNome. I got the Pendulo, Strategy First, and Daedalic Packs from him. And Saint's Row the Third. And Blades of Time.[/QUOTE]
Have you played anything from the Pendulo or Daedalic packs? I'm thinking about getting one and can't really decide whether to and which. Only point/click games I've played and enjoyed are the Wadjet Eye and the demo of Book of Unwritten Tales.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Worth it, um...yes. Has it been cheaper, yes. (GMG $6 or $8; credit vs. cash back)
Graphics comparison...really?...PC vs. XBOX...really? XBOX is good...
PC is GREAT!
Haven't tried a controller, but it's listed as having partial controller support, so I'd imagine a 360 controller should be fine.[/QUOTE]

PC graphics are insane on my 670. I watched the internal benchmark like 3 times.

I played through it 100% with a controller. It works great.

[quote name='plft']Have you played anything from the Pendulo or Daedalic packs? I'm thinking about getting one and can't really decide whether to and which. Only point/click games I've played and enjoyed are the Wadjet Eye and the demo of Book of Unwritten Tales.[/QUOTE]

No, neither. Added into the backlog.

And I'm with you. I love nearly everything I've played that Wadjet Eye has made (except The Shivah).

I feel like Pendulo is a little more adult than Daedalic and by adult I don't mean XXX or anything just bit less Disney-esque.

I think both are well done for the point and click genre though and have a lot more in terms of production values than say some generic Big Fish game.

[quote name='The End']Well it's not so much that it's a bad game. There are plenty of other bad games in that pack. And I already have my fair share of stinkers in my library. It's more the whole animal torture/mutilation angle to the game that I can't get past. I don't have any pets, nor am I an especially big animal lover. But that just seems a bit much for me.

Though I certainly don't want to discourage others from playing if they want. I know some people get a kick out playing horrible games. And I assume that it either doesn't bother them like it bothers me, or they can allow themselves to simply look past it.

Anyways, enough about Bad Rats. What are people picking up now that we've reached the last day?

I've already picked up these with a little help from JakeNome:
Act of War: Direct Action
Act of War: High Treason
Age of Wonders Trilogy Pack
Archon: Classic
Dark Sector
Farm Frenzy pack
Kohan Warchest
Sacrifice
Simulation Gaming Pack
Proof that I don't mind the occasional bad game. lol
Thrillville: Off the Rails

And I've got these sitting in my cart right now:
Ignite
Last Day of Work Complete Pack
Lucidity
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident
Ninja Blade
Sherlock Holmes & The Hound of The Baskervilles
SimBin Mega Bundle
Starscape
Winter Voices + Episodes[/QUOTE]

never knew ninja blade was on steam, thanks man, just bought it

[quote name='Broken Cage']

Also, the Gods & Kings expansion has introduced Spies, and Egypt keeps stealing all of my tech. I've gone to war with them three times over it, but they just won't quit. I did steal a ton of stuff from Rome, and I'm just going to say this, Caesar is a dick. He and I were cool, trading horses for gold, and he comes out of nowhere and denounces me, and becomes friends with Egypt. I'm like whatever. I'm working a friendship with Japan so we can take out Rome together. I had Carthage involved, but Washington took out their capital.[/QUOTE]

Can someone make sure this quote makes it on the Civ 5 Complete Edition box? I mean, really. Can you sum the game up any better than this?

[quote name='Davinatorman']Has Terraria ever been 75% off? Was a bit surprised it never hit that during this sale.[/QUOTE]
It usually is during these sales, hence why the Winter sale is getting such a bad rap. The discounts suck.

[quote name='zubalove']Can someone make sure this quote makes it on the Civ 5 Complete Edition box? I mean, really. Can you sum the game up any better than this?[/QUOTE]

Some where on that box needs to be "Gandhi is a asshole."

Anyone else here pick up that Symphony game today off the flash sales? That game kicks major ass, it's like Beat Hazard and Galaga had a baby. If you like music/shooting games, I'd strongly suggest picking it up even at only 50% off ($5), that is unless it reappears at 75% during repeat weekend.

Never heard of the game until today when I got home from work, and there was like 4 minutes left on the flash sale. Bought on impulse after watching the trailer.

Guys I'm planning on buying a gamepad for Pc. Which one is better to get? Wired or wireless Xbox controller with receiver?

And the final flash are all bloody repeats.

Lego LOTR 20.09
Dishonored 29.99
Walking Dead 12.49

Really hope they reexamine how they're going to do the summer sale. 48 hour dailies plus repeated flashes plus repeated community choices plus end of sale repeats just really kills enthusiasm.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Guys I'm planning on buying a gamepad for Pc. Which one is better to get? Wired or wireless Xbox controller with receiver?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how much you love spinning around in your desk chair.

I went with wireless with the adapter and haven't regretted it once.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']What about this "Sunset Invasion" expansion thing?[/QUOTE]
Not sure if you're looking for another opinion, but I concur with the statements made by Terlan and Motoki. The two most important DLC's are Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome, both of which introduce mechanics. Sunset Invasion isn't necessary; seems to me that you'd probably want to play through the game a few times first to determine whether you even want to have a bunch of angry Aztecs show up in the mid-late part of the game. I don't think I would... the Golden Horde is already enough for me. :(

Soon, another new big DLC is coming out which adds mechanics for republics. I have high hopes for it. Anyway, as Terlan wrote, the remaining DLC's are cosmetic (graphics and music).

I can't say enough great things about CK2. The game will provide you with tons of fun stories.

[quote name='lassiterb']Depends on how much you love spinning around in your desk chair.

I went with wireless with the adapter and haven't regretted it once.[/QUOTE]

Is the wire cable that long? Hehe! Any other comments on which one is better? Is there any difference between response time at all? Build quality difference?

[quote name='lassiterb']Depends on how much you love spinning around in your desk chair.

I went with wireless with the adapter and haven't regretted it once.[/QUOTE]

I have wireless as well and someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can connect up to four controllers to a single receiver if that sounds beneficial to you.

[quote name='Logain8955']And the final flash are all bloody repeats.

Lego LOTR 20.09
Dishonored 29.99
Walking Dead 12.49

Really hope they reexamine how they're going to do the summer sale. 48 hour dailies plus repeated flashes plus repeated community choices plus end of sale repeats just really kills enthusiasm.[/QUOTE]

What's crazy is you just know Dishonored and The Walking Dead are two of the "highly sought-after titles" out there right now.

Oh wells, since I'm out of anything other than a $10.00 Dead Space bundle, here's my haul:

STEAM:
Brothers in Arms Pack
Blocks That Matter
Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
Ignite
Hell Yeah!
I Am Alive
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Mass Effect Collection
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Max Payne Bundle
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Standard Edition
Civ V Gods and Kings Expansion
Mount & Blade: Complete
FarCry 2
Oblivion Game of the Year
Birth of America
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Sniper Ghost Warrior Gold base + 2 DLC
The Sims 3
Tropico 4
Thief Bundle 2012
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
Awesomenauts 3 pack
Tomb Raider Collection
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Call of Duty Warchest
Velvet Assassin
Commandos 2 - Men of Courage
Flatout Complete Pack
Killing Floor Bundle
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Ghost Master
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Echelon Edition
Dawn of War Franchise Pack
Gish
Section 8

AMAZON:
Spec Ops The Line
The Darkness II Standard Edition
Hotline Miami
Duke Nukem Forever
Borderlands GOTY
Bioshock 2
Bioshock
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package
Darksiders
Darksiders 2
Payday: The Heist 4-Pack
Red Faction: Armageddon
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

I officially went out of control. I think outside of Far Cry 3, Dead Space 3, Army of Two: Devil's Cartel, and Gears of War Judgement, I'm going to have to revert back to PC gaming so I can eat through some of this newly acquired backlog.

[quote name='Palinn']I have wireless as well and someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can connect up to four controllers to a single receiver if that sounds beneficial to you.[/QUOTE]

Correct. 4 controllers and 4 headsets. But no one does that.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Well I guess I'll have to snap up The Oddboxx at only 50% off. Damn you Gaben.[/QUOTE]

For the amount of gaming that's there, it's still totally worth it!

[quote name='Davinatorman']Has Terraria ever been 75% off? Was a bit surprised it never hit that during this sale.[/QUOTE]
I don't know but I paid $2.49 for it on 7/9/2011 (on steam)

[quote name='Palinn']I have wireless as well and someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can connect up to four controllers to a single receiver if that sounds beneficial to you.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... That seems like a good thing to have. The only thing is that i also have to invest in a rechargeable battery. Now to wait for a good deal on it. I did a search and a wireless one is $48 at newegg. Does this go any lower at all? Not really in a hurry. Just wanted to get a better deal if ever.

Hopefully tomorrow's encore sale would be something to look forward too.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Is the wire cable that long? Hehe! Any other comments on which one is better? Is there any difference between response time at all? Build quality difference?[/QUOTE]

Response time has been a non-issue for me with the wireless controller, works just as well as with the 360. Also, I prefer the heft of the wireless controllers because of the batteries/battery pack. Feels more solid imho.

[quote name='CAGkrazy'] The only thing is that i also have to invest in a rechargeable battery. Now to wait for a good deal on it. I did a search and a wireless one is $48 at newegg. Does this go any lower at all? Not really in a hurry. Just wanted to get a better deal if ever.
[/QUOTE]

Got a really good deal on my black controller/receiver at Newegg for $38.00 around a year ago. Also, you don't have to have the play and charge kit, I use 2 Duracell AAs in mine and they last a while. The controller turns off on its own after no buttons are pressed for a while to save juice. Probably change them once a month or so.

"Ordered" a Daedelic Pack from JakeNome

Sitting in my cart:

Critter Crunch
eXceed Complete Pack
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
Fairy Bloom Freesia
Penny Arcade 3
Analogue: A Hate Story
Emerald City Confidential

Still looking for more.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Is the wire cable that long? Hehe! Any other comments on which one is better? Is there any difference between response time at all? Build quality difference?[/QUOTE]
I have both, and I like the Wired one better because of the HUGE weight difference between the two models.

Since Gamersgate lied and rescinded their original promise of January keys I've been trying to figure out what to do. I recently built a great gaming PC after buying Dishonored on 360. I've barely played it so far and so don't care about losing the save. Best Buy's double trade in value + my gamers club would give me ~$22 trade in value for it. Soooo, my question becomes "Does the ability to 1 button quick save and quick load with supposedly DRAMATICALLY improved (I saw 14s vs 2s per load) load times justify a $7 difference?" The graphics are, by all accounts, essentially identical.

[quote name='lassiterb']Anyone else here pick up that Symphony game today off the flash sales? That game kicks major ass, it's like Beat Hazard and Galaga had a baby. If you like music/shooting games, I'd strongly suggest picking it up even at only 50% off ($5), that is unless it reappears at 75% during repeat weekend.

Never heard of the game until today when I got home from work, and there was like 4 minutes left on the flash sale. Bought on impulse after watching the trailer.[/QUOTE]

Did it hit 75% off at some point? I recall seeing it at 66% off as a flash sale but that's it. It's an instant buy for me if it hits 75% off ($2.50).

[quote name='nosferatu51']Since Gamersgate lied and rescinded their original promise of January keys I've been trying to figure out what to do. I recently built a great gaming PC after buying Dishonored on 360. I've barely played it so far and so don't care about losing the save. Best Buy's double trade in value + my gamers club would give me ~$22 trade in value for it. Soooo, my question becomes "Does the ability to 1 button quick save and quick load with supposedly DRAMATICALLY improved (I saw 14s vs 2s per load) load times justify a $7 difference?" The graphics are, by all accounts, essentially identical.[/QUOTE]
you should 86 that console trash. I can't imagine trying to *enjoy* a current gen game on a 2005 console.

edit, it's 2013!

edit edit:
Have you considered trading the game into Gamestop for steam credit? I think they have some extra trade in promo going right now.

I find it hard to imagine the majority of people want a wired controller.

The wireless one is fantastic. I have an Xbox, so I got the wireless receiver. Works great.

[quote name='jshackles']For the amount of gaming that's there, it's still totally worth it![/QUOTE]

Well I've played them all before so I know they are worth it for sure, but still I wanted a cheaper price :p

[quote name='Ardrid']Did it hit 75% off at some point? I recall seeing it at 66% off as a flash sale but that's it. It's an instant buy for me if it hits 75% off ($2.50).[/QUOTE]

Whoops, you're right, it was 66%. Still a great deal for that game, I played it for 2 hours straight after trying it out. It you loved Beat Hazard, you will love this. If I had actually heard about this game before, I would have bought it for retail price when it released lol. It's worth it. Although, I'm a sucker for music and great gaming combined.

Picked up the wireless 360 controller from Amazon with the receiver for $34.99. It's great because I can hook my gaming rig up to the TV, sit back on the couch, and play on a 55 inch TV. Totally worth it.

[quote name='fore1337']you should 86 that console trash. I can't imagine trying to *enjoy* a current gen game on a 2005 console.

edit, it's 2013!

edit edit:
Have you considered trading the game into Gamestop for steam credit? I think they have some extra trade in promo going right now.[/QUOTE]

Right, and that argument works great for games that are strikingly different visually on a modern PC (replaced Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2). My understanding is graphically Dishonored is identical on PC to those 7+ year old consoles. So the question really comes down to the quick save/quick load and load times.

I looked into Gamestop. $14 +30% for Steam =

[quote name='jshackles']Picked up the wireless 360 controller from Amazon with the receiver for $34.99. It's great because I can hook my gaming rig up to the TV, sit back on the couch, and play on a 55 inch TV. Totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

You got a wireless controller with the receiver? Link me.

[quote name='jshackles']Picked up the wireless 360 controller from Amazon with the receiver for $34.99. It's great because I can hook my gaming rig up to the TV, sit back on the couch, and play on a 55 inch TV. Totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

Thats an awesome deal. Was that a normal sale price at one point or a lightning deal? Guess i just have to monitor the prices from here on out. Just wish i dint have to wait that long to score a good deal.

[quote name='Logain8955']And the final flash are all bloody repeats.

Lego LOTR 20.09
Dishonored 29.99
Walking Dead 12.49

Really hope they reexamine how they're going to do the summer sale. 48 hour dailies plus repeated flashes plus repeated community choices plus end of sale repeats just really kills enthusiasm.[/QUOTE]

The timing is fine, it allows everyone an opportunity. What they are chosing to do with it is why it sucks. Fire the new Economist Valve. We liked you better when it was all "Welcome to CRRRAAAZZZZYYY AL's Deep Discount, I'd give them away, but my wife won't let me!"

[quote name='nosferatu51']Right, and that argument works great for games that are strikingly different visually on a modern PC (replaced Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2). My understanding is graphically Dishonored is identical on PC to those 7+ year old consoles. So the question really comes down to the quick save/quick load and load times.
[/QUOTE]

Um, I'm pretty sure the PC version is vastly superior to the console version graphically as well, just like any other PC/console graphical comparison. I'm fairly certain the X360 version doesn't run at 1080p with AA.

[quote name='nosferatu51']Best Buy's double trade in value + my gamers club would give me ~$22 trade in value for it. Soooo, my question becomes "Does the ability to 1 button quick save and quick load with supposedly DRAMATICALLY improved (I saw 14s vs 2s per load) load times justify a $7 difference?" The graphics are, by all accounts, essentially identical.[/QUOTE]

Do you intend to play undetected or just walk around knifing people in the face? If you're going to go for being completely undetected, you'll need to reload a lot. If you're just going to shoot and stab people at will, you won't need to. So it really depends on how you're going to play it.

The cable is 9 feet long. So, really, I'd say it comes down to how your system is set-up and whether or not you mind dealing with batteries.

For me, my computer is sitting on the floor directly to my right and in reach. The cord length is far more than sufficient and I never have to worry that my controller is dead.

[quote name='lassiterb']Um, I'm pretty sure the PC version is vastly superior to the console version graphically as well, just like any other PC/console graphical comparison. I'm fairly certain the X360 version doesn't run at 1080p with AA.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y400baMPmtY

Better direct comparison vid: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/dishonored-xbox-360-vs-pc-face-off-video can't imbed it though

That's pretty consistent with a few other sources I've seen on it too, correct me if you've personally seen it though since all I have to go on right now is this kinda stuff. Yes, in the comparison videos the PC version does look slightly crisper and the lighting is slightly better, but no hugely so. Even muddy up close textures seem to make the jump to PC.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Do you intend to play undetected or just walk around knifing people in the face? If you're going to go for being completely undetected, you'll need to reload a lot. If you're just going to shoot and stab people at will, you won't need to. So it really depends on how you're going to play it.[/QUOTE]
I'm honestly not sure. I like being stealthy in stealthy games, but I've also heard doing so can feel as though you're ignoring a lot of the more fun tools you are given in this game. My inclination after playing for a bit on the 360 would be to avoid contact if possible, but not to go drive myself made doing so (reloaded a bunch in that initial dungeon escape and it was driving me crazy with the load times and hence why I'm seriously considering it).

I just wish it was a few dollars (see

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CAGkrazy']Thats an awesome deal. Was that a normal sale price at one point or a lightning deal? Guess i just have to monitor the prices from here on out. Just wish i dint have to wait that long to score a good deal.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine for that price as a lightening deal on December 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back