The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me, or did the Need For Speed flash sale drop from 75% to 50%?

Also LOL at the Bit Trip Bundle, yet another package more expensive than the individual cost. I try to stay positive on the sale since I've still managed to spend too much, but this is getting pretty sad...

Did the need for speed games just go up in price? I swear it was $5 for hot pursuit and $2.50 for undercover a little bit ago.

-edit: apparently I am not the only one who noticed.

[quote name='prisonerac']Did the need for speed games just go up in price? I swear it was $5 for hot pursuit and $2.50 for undercover a little bit ago.[/QUOTE]
Definitely did... :bomb:

[quote name='MC Kage']Just finished Indie Game The Movie, thought it was pretty damn relatable as someone trying to get into the music industry. They can definitely come off as pretentious/egotistical but damn they put their hearts into the shit (well the Braid dude was weird...). That dude who made Fez is just mad nice.[/QUOTE]

It was nice hearing part of the stories behind those games, some of their inspirations and the shit they were dealing with. For once, a film about making games where it's not all PR BS. I just wish I hadn't dropped $10 on it, but I couldn't predict its inclusion in a Humble Bundle. Still, it was worth seeing.

If I want to play the old Doom games, are the Steam versions the best way to go?

[quote name='prisonerac']Did the need for speed games just go up in price? I swear it was $5 for hot pursuit and $2.50 for undercover a little bit ago.

-edit: apparently I am not the only one who noticed.[/QUOTE]

That's just precious.

Memo to self, if any EA game that I'm looking to pick up appears at 75% off, pick it up ASAP. It likely wont be 75% for long.

Just another standout moment in this sale.

I think it's a glitch. If you visit the game's pages they have the generic Holiday Sale! notice rather than the Flash sale notice it should have.

Either glitched out or ended early for whatever reason. Half off was their default discount.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Flow is taken care of- He is always down for some crappy muliplayer fun.[/QUOTE]
OI!

Oh, erm, yes. Thanks :oops:

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Is it just me, or did the Need For Speed flash sale drop from 75% to 50%? [/QUOTE]

I don't believe this, I had all three of those in my cart while I was checking out the SimBin racing games...

Oh well, at least Quake 1 is (probably) still on sale...

WORST STEAM SALE EVER !!!

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh... Even though that feature is implemented automatically now, some games still don't let you change the install directory. I suggest you look into symbolic linking if you want to move those games to different drive.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know how to symbolic link? No idea what that is. Anyways my solution to SRTT not working was it wouldn't install on an external, so I had to install Steam onto my C: and then download it there and it worked. But normally I run Steam from my external HD and I can't change the install directory to C:...so my dillema remains pretty much.

[quote name='bshirk']It was nice hearing part of the stories behind those games, some of their inspirations and the shit they were dealing with. For once, a film about making games where it's not all PR BS. I just wish I hadn't dropped $10 on it, but I couldn't predict its inclusion in a Humble Bundle. Still, it was worth seeing.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Anyone who's had or has a dream about doing something they love and putting painstaking effort into it, telling people your working and all that, its definitely relatable to all artists of any kind. & damn $10, but it was a great watch. thanks HIB

Damn, I go to sleep and miss... nothing...lol...at least catching up on the thread is entertaining. Hearing about more prices going up mid flash sale is not surprising. And what happened to QUAKE 1 BEING ON SALE IS ONLY A GLITCH?

It looks like it wasn't.

[quote name='MC Kage']Anyone know how to symbolic link? No idea what that is. Anyways my solution to SRTT not working was it wouldn't install on an external, so I had to install Steam onto my C: and then download it there and it worked. But normally I run Steam from my external HD and I can't change the install directory to C:...so my dillema remains pretty much.

[/QUOTE]

Steam Mover worked like a charm for me (if I'm understanding what you are trying to do)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Damn, I go to sleep and miss... nothing...lol...at least catching up on the thread is entertaining. Hearing about more prices going up mid flash sale is not surprising. And what happened to QUAKE 1 BEING ON SALE IS ONLY A GLITCH?

It looks like it wasn't.[/QUOTE]

(Snort). This.

And never mind the change in the Need for Speed stuff.

I'm working today but this'll be the first Steam sale where I haven't refreshed the Steam pages every time there was an update.

[quote name='bshirk']If I want to play the old Doom games, are the Steam versions the best way to go?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I own all of the Doom games through Steam and they all work perfectly fine.

[quote name='MC Kage']Anyone know how to symbolic link? No idea what that is. Anyways my solution to SRTT not working was it wouldn't install on an external, so I had to install Steam onto my C: and then download it there and it worked. But normally I run Steam from my external HD and I can't change the install directory to C:...so my dillema remains pretty much.[/QUOTE]

Try this! :)

The beta version of Steam also allows you to install some games to a drive other than where Steam is installed. Works pretty well. The only problem is it doesn't seem all games are supported. Steam Tool or Steam Mover are probably still the best options.

SR3 Complete is still the only game I bought this sale. But damn, I'm happy I did. What an excellent and fun game! Better than all GTA games together.

Alright, it easier than the Cmd prompt if you don't know how to use one. :p
[quote name='Detruire']mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps" "D:\steamapps\"

It took me less time to type ^^ out than to click through and download that.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='frogkiller']Alright, it easier than the Cmd prompt if you don't know how to use one. :p[/QUOTE]
Now is a good time to try. :)

I can confirm NFS was 75% off earlier.
Something else they didn't post, NFS Shift 2 was also on sale for 75% off (flash), but not listed under the link.

Copied from my Email Receipt:
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
4.99 USD

[quote name='Detruire']Now is a good time to try. :)[/QUOTE]

I use the Cmd prompt all the time. That was for the other guy.
I'm old. Like monochrome screens and your "OS" was dos old.

Windows 8 and the butchering of the Admin account sucks on the Cmd front though.

What's going on with DMC4? When I view it on my wishlist it says 50% off ($14.99/29.99) now, but it's store lists 0% off, with a list price of $19.99.

[quote name='DigitalVamp1re']What's going on with DMC4? When I view it on my wishlist it says 50% off ($14.99/29.99) now, but it's store lists 0% off, with a list price of $19.99.[/QUOTE]
If you want it, buy from www.greenmangaming.com (it's 75% off and showing £1.69 for me, which will be around $2.50) and use the voucher GMG-DPLIM-DN831 to get another 30% off.

You get a code for the game which will activate on Steam.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I noticed I was able to purchase S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat for the Loyalty Promo price just now. $3.74 as opposed to the currently discounted price of $9.99.

I didn't own any of the games in the series.

[quote name='frogkiller']I'm old. Like monochrome screens and your "OS" was dos old.[/QUOTE]

I'm Oregon Trail on a floppy old.

Well, I was in the second grade, but I'll be damned if I didn't know the DOS commands to access that floppy!

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'm Oregon Trail on a floppy old.

Well, I was in the second grade, but I'll be damned if I didn't know the DOS commands to access that floppy![/QUOTE]

It was just re-released btw.

http://www.desura.com/games/organ-trail-directors-cut

Well, I was in the second grade, but I'll be damned if I didn't know the DOS commands to access that floppy![/QUOTE]

Loved Oregon Trail, though I think that was in later grades for me. Second grade was "programming" the turtle in Logo.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']@Motoki Yea, that's Organ trail.. (don't know if you realize the difference)[/QUOTE]

Oh duh heh so it is.

I was looking at the screen shots thinking 'hmm I don't remember zombies in Oregon trail' too. :lol:

[quote name='Motoki']Oh duh heh so it is.

I was looking at the screen shots thinking 'hmm I don't remember zombies in Oregon trail' too. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ha, I didn't notice the link said "organ", I thought they had just made the common typo "Oregan". It happens more than you'd think.

That said, Oregon Trail is under Gameloft's control, but you can get a "modified" (aka fucked with) version of it for your cell.

[quote name='MulderYuffie']So hows BIT.TRIP.BEAT is it worth $2.50 or likely to be in an upcoming bundle?[/QUOTE]

It was in a Humble Bundle at some point in August.

[quote name='Broken Cage']

I know you are talking about the game, but I immediately thought of this.

Brought to you by Toyota.[/QUOTE]

LOL... yea... I remember that all too well as well. Fun game show. Back when kids weren't idiots. Well... they may have been idiots but they had MC Hammer parachute pants so that made up for it I guess.

All this talk has me racking my brain for the name of a game that I played all the time at school... you would be in a cave and would have to hook up machines to batteries to accomplish things, like melt ice, or light up the room, or blow away a spiders web.....

I was out of high school when than came out. ugh.

But I have died of dysentery. When my kid started playing it, that was a little surreal.

Good times. LOL.

There's the incredible machine, sounds like what you mean.
But i don't remember it being in a cave.
[quote name='Dragonsbane']All this talk has me racking my brain for the name of a game that I played all the time at school... you would be in a cave and would have to hook up machines to batteries to accomplish things, like melt ice, or light up the room, or blow away a spiders web.....[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back