The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Payday: The Heist DLC worth the $2.50 for someone who only occasionally plays the game? I enjoy it quite a bit, but I only play it every once in a while.

[quote name='plft']Seriously? Dota 2 won with 37% of the vote.[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, it was largely a garbage vote anyway.

GO was already on sale previously, and Portal Franchise was on sale like yesterday or the day before.

[quote name='Broken Cage']In all fairness, it was largely a garbage vote anyway.

GO was already on sale previously, and Portal Franchise was on sale like yesterday or the day before.[/QUOTE]
Still a free game that was already on sale (for half this sale price) and can't be given away.

JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg

I know that a bunch of people voted on it to see if people are actually going to buy it :lol:

I'll bet those people that bought Dota 2 at 50% off are pissed now.

Eh, who am I kidding, no one bought it when it was on sale before.

At least they shouldn't have.

[quote name='Tsel']Is the Payday: The Heist DLC worth the $2.50 for someone who only occasionally plays the game? I enjoy it quite a bit, but I only play it every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

Well it depends on how you play. They made it so that you can join games on the two new heists even if you don't own the DLC yourself (which is really cool IMO). So if you play mostly online you can still play the heists. If you have a clan, technically only one of you need to buy it to play it together (with the buyer hosting the games). If you play solo then you would want it.

The other thing is the Technician skill tree, but you can enjoy the game without that.

[quote name='Tsel']Is the Payday: The Heist DLC worth the $2.50 for someone who only occasionally plays the game? I enjoy it quite a bit, but I only play it every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

Depends on if you want the extra bonuses. Since you can join the dlc maps when someone else hosts it.

"Hosting Ability: Invite friends to play in the new DLC maps even if they do not own the DLC themselves"

edit: I guess the guy above me beat me to the post.

[quote name='monkeysez']Everything I bought during this sale was from either GG or GMG. Nothing really from steam.[/QUOTE]

That, except OMD2 complete pack 2-pack(really good deal at 75%off). Bought everything else at amazon, GMG, and "mistakes" from GG.

I admit I voted for it for the shits and grins.

I didn't actually expect most people to be stupid enough to actually non-ironically vote for it though

[quote name='juanjava']It is really surprising they put Freedom Force on the voting. That game is brilliant. I own them on physical and Steam versions[/QUOTE]

That's what I just voted for as I think I'd actually buy that one.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']What do I have to do to get it exactly?[/QUOTE]

Just click the green box at the bottom, and code should load down below there too. No sign ups or anything.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']That's what I just voted for as I think I'd actually buy that one.[/QUOTE]

You should... the bundle at full price is a steal... I bought it at 50%... with 75% is a no brainer

[quote name='Motoki']I admit I voted for it for the shits and grins.

I didn't actually expect most people to be stupid enough to actually non-ironically vote for it though[/QUOTE]
Now that it won, I'm morbidly curious to see how high it'll go on the sales chart. Like trying to look away from a flying train crash.

[quote name='imac2much']Oh man, I hope Freedom Force wins. It's been on my wish list for a while now and I don't think it's showed up in a flash yet.[/QUOTE]

I'm betting POP wins as the most recognizable brand name, but I'd like to give Freedom Force a shot.

[quote name='imac2much']Oh man, I hope Freedom Force wins. It's been on my wish list for a while now and I don't think it's showed up in a flash yet.[/QUOTE]

It most likely won't win. The sales just seem to be a repeat of what's been on sale. I'm guessing today's daily deals will be...

- Saint's Row 3
- Valve game
- Crysis franchise
- Sim City 4

Everyday I think to myself "Maybe they'll have some fresh sales" and every day I'm disappointed.

[quote name='plft']Now that it won, I'm morbidly curious to see how high it'll go on the sales chart. Like trying to look away from a flying train crash.[/QUOTE]

Already #67. Expecting it to go at least to the top 10. That would be hilarious.

[quote name='CaptainSlow']It most likely won't win. The sales just seem to be a repeat of what's been on sale. I'm guessing today's daily deals will be...

- Saint's Row 3
- Valve game
- Crysis franchise
- Sim City 4

Everyday I think to myself "Maybe they'll have some fresh sales" and every day I'm disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the pessimist in me agrees... even though PoP and Thief have been on sale multiple times already :( Why do they have to keep the unique deal as a community vote and have repeats on the flash ones?

Well, maybe if it loses we'll see it as the daily deal the day after the sale ends :) Hello Jade Empire!

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Does the steam version of psychonauts work with 360 controller??[/QUOTE]

According to the store page: Partial Controller Support

Thinking I'm going to pick up The Secret World today, regardless of whether or not it goes on a deeper discount. Does anyone know if I have to finish the install before it will give me a key, and does having the key registered give the pre-2013 bonuses, or do I have to actually log in and start paying? A bit worried that the game will take too long to install for me to get on before tomorrow.

[quote name='MC Kage']Just finished Indie Game The Movie, thought it was pretty damn relatable as someone trying to get into the music industry. They can definitely come off as pretentious/egotistical but damn they put their hearts into the shit (well the Braid dude was weird...). That dude who made Fez is just mad nice.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bshirk']It was nice hearing part of the stories behind those games, some of their inspirations and the shit they were dealing with. For once, a film about making games where it's not all PR BS. I just wish I hadn't dropped $10 on it, but I couldn't predict its inclusion in a Humble Bundle. Still, it was worth seeing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the film was a lot better than I'd expected, and very human. I still have no desire to follow gaming news so a lot of the information was new, and I'd never seen what these guys looked like or read them talk about their work, but the filmmakers did a great job of their stories. I'd like to see it incorporated into the "are video games art?" debate.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Does the steam version of psychonauts work with 360 controller??[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I had some issues with it. Think I got it sorted out but it was wonky enough to keep me from playing the game.

[quote name='Genocidal']Thinking I'm going to pick up The Secret World today, regardless of whether or not it goes on a deeper discount. Does anyone know if I have to finish the install before it will give me a key, and does having the key registered give the pre-2013 bonuses, or do I have to actually log in and start paying? A bit worried that the game will take too long to install for me to get on before tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Attach the key to your account. The actual issue 5 was in my store (not available during the tutorial) and appeared in my inv. Not sure if you HAVE to play to get it though as it SHOULD just need to be linked to your TSW account.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Attach the key to your account. The actual issue 5 was in my store (not available during the tutorial) and appeared in my inv. Not sure if you HAVE to play to get it though as it SHOULD just need to be linked to your TSW account.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Dumb follow-up: I've seen both before December 31st, and before 2013 mentioned to receive the bonuses. Do you know which is the case? If I already missed out on the extra content I can wait for the Amazon deal.

Admittedly, I know nothing about Chivalry, but, I have to say, it has been the word of the day for several weeks now. I'm not tempted to buy it, since, again, I know nothing about it, but I keep getting a Mount & Blade vibe from the preview image. (Admittedly, I haven't bought/played Mount & Blade either, and it has gone on sale many a time, as well.)

I suppose, at this point, it would be proper to ask the "Is it fun?" question.

[quote name='Genocidal']Thanks. Dumb follow-up: I've seen both before December 31st, and before 2013 mentioned to receive the bonuses. Do you know which is the case? If I already missed out on the extra content I can wait for the Amazon deal.[/QUOTE]

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62789

When can the first DLC content be expected?
The first DLC will start selling in January 2013, and is the main storyline of Issue #5. However, this content will already be fully unlocked for anyone who has a full game account registered before the end of December 2012.

[quote name='Motoki']I admit I voted for it for the shits and grins[/QUOTE]
Me too. I guess there were a lot of us. At least more of us than people who gave a rat's ass.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Me too. I guess there were a lot of us. At least more of us than people who gave a rat's ass.[/QUOTE]

I thought voting for a F2P game was hella amusing and in line with this sale so far :)
Edit: And seeing as it's #23 is climbing the ranks. Buncha lemmings.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Admittedly, I know nothing about Chivalry, but, I have to say, it has been the word of the day for several weeks now. I'm not tempted to buy it, since, again, I know nothing about it, but I keep getting a Mount & Blade vibe from the preview image. (Admittedly, I haven't bought/played Mount & Blade either, and it has gone on sale many a time, as well.)

I suppose, at this point, it would be proper to ask the "Is it fun?" question.[/QUOTE]

This game was featured on Drew of Gaint Bomb's Top 10 Games of 2012 list. It was also nominated for Best Multiplayer on Game Trailers.com I'm willing to try it out for $9 and gift a copy to a friend so that we can poke around a little online. There's a "warcry" button. SOLD.

The frantic action reminds me of early Unreal Tournmanet insta-gib matches. And the graphics are better than Mount & Blade by far.

I already put a post out there for a 4-pack if anyone is interested (see the Steam Group Buy thread). As stated above, I will have 2 extra slots for $9.25

[quote name='Genocidal']Good to know. I'll grab it after the deals flip regardless then... not worth waiting for the 5pm flash and potentially missing out.[/QUOTE]

I may as well but does anyone else have it cheaper than Steam right now?

Besides GG. Don't even want to mess with them at this point.

Also I remember something about getting it on Steam when it came out there got you an in game Steam jacket. Do you still get that?

I reserve the right to care about useless virtual crap if it's free. :p

so the Freedom Force pack which is currently 50% for 3.74 is up for community choice for 75% which brings it to... 1.88? i fear the day when i think to myself, "HOLD FAST, young CAG! Do not let the darkness take you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back