The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget, the DOTA 2 pack does have a bunch of items for the game itself and isn't just access to it. Those items are like hats for that community I think.

I don't mind when people get extra copies of DOTA2 to give away but I do get tired of asshats trying to get people to give them a real paid game they paid money for for a DOTA2 key they got for free.

In most Steam game community forums you can find some fool posting 'Trading DOTA2 for this game' :roll:

[quote name='KaOTiK']So what games are people hoping to see go on a daily/flash deal that haven't yet? For me I have a small list, some of which I am surprised haven't turned up yet.[/QUOTE]

I hope NBA 2K13 goes on sale.

[quote name='Motoki']In most Steam game community forums you can find some fool posting 'Trading DOTA2 for this game' :roll:[/QUOTE]
Trading DOTA2 for Doom Rails!

[quote name='ral1121']Enlighten me, I'd like a free copy.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know too. Have several friends that have been trying to get it for a long time. We'll probably end up getting it with this flash sale.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Test Drive Unlimited 2. I am still pissed it lost its vote over the Summer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'd love to pick this up for $5 on Steam.

[quote name='msdmoney']007 BloodStone[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for a decent Blood Stone sale for quite some time. I don't think it has ever been below 10 dollars.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I'm hoping for a 75% on Titan Quest: immortal throne[/QUOTE]

Ditto! got TQ in the last thq humble bundle, and now want the expansion

[quote name='AnyColourYouLike']im waiting for tales of monkey island, it was 4.99 like 2 years ago yet it hasnt gone on a proper sale since.[/QUOTE]

Tales of Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle $3.74 75% off
The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition $2.49 75% off
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition $2.49 75% off

...was a Community Choice vote winner near the beginning of the sale. Sorry. :cry:

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Admittedly, I know nothing about Chivalry, but, I have to say, it has been the word of the day for several weeks now. I'm not tempted to buy it, since, again, I know nothing about it, but I keep getting a Mount & Blade vibe from the preview image. (Admittedly, I haven't bought/played Mount & Blade either, and it has gone on sale many a time, as well.)

I suppose, at this point, it would be proper to ask the "Is it fun?" question.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KaOTiK']Chivalry is awesome for those of you on the fence. It is a fast paced and fun. The combat is good and very brutal. Nothing like walking away from a battle 2v1 and there is various body parts laying around from your 2 victims :D[/QUOTE]

Seconded. I just had about 3 hours evaporate on me in that game. I spent most of the time on a sparsely populated server (6-10 folks) and then went looking for a nearly-full one. The chaos (and framerate) (and chat spamming) on the packed server was a little too much for me. But I had a blast with the smaller group. Friendly fire is hilarious: a teammate and I had the enemy king sandwiched between us; he landed the killing blow, but then my follow-through accidentally lopped off his head.

They still need to patch some things (achievements, tutorial glitches) and add some polish, but I think for under 10 bucks (4-pack on sale) you could do a lot worse.

[quote name='Corpekata']Well for instance this reddit thread linked to a site that was giving away 10k keys the other day http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/15p39l/computergamesro_giving_away_10000_dota_2_keys/

But they are gone it appears. Just ask around on forums like this really. Ton of people with extra copies as beta members were given extra to pass out. Probably someone that can help you out here. I myself took like 2 months to give away just 4.[/QUOTE]

You were given 4? I was in the Alpha (knew someone at Valve) and I only ever got 2. Maybe it was because I stopped playing pretty early on partly because there was no one playing then and I am not a huge DOTA person. I had a lot of friends that wanted keys from me though.

The Gold ver (w expansion) of TQ is $4.20 with 30% off voucher on GMG right. Says it redeems on Steam.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/titan-quest-gold/

And no you don't get an extra giftable copy of the regular version to give away if you buy ut and redeem it when you already own the standard version.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Tales of Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle $3.74 75% off

...was a Community Choice vote winner near the beginning of the sale. Sorry. :cry:[/QUOTE]

That was the Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle, by LucasArts.

The Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack, by Telltale Games, currently 50% off at $17.49, hasn't been featured in the current sale yet.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Tales of Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle $3.74 75% off

...was a Community Choice vote winner near the beginning of the sale. Sorry. :cry:[/QUOTE]

those were the days when the community choice was for a series and not just the specific game shown

Looking at today's dailies I officially raise the white flag -- not expecting any new deals. I'm sure Closure and Snapshot will be dailies on the remaining four days.

Didn't know Iron Brigade was added to the Oh so Fine Bundle. 10 bucks. That's a pretty great deal in the rare chance you don't own Double Fine's stuff.

[quote name='Mooby']Looking at today's dailies I officially raise the white flag -- not expecting any new deals. I'm sure Closure and Snapshot will be dailies on the remaining four days.[/QUOTE]

I fully expect to see The Secret World show up tomorrow or Wednesday since their promo will be over and Amazon is also running a good deal on it.

Yeah the Amazon promos do tend to coincide with the Steam deals (I'm sure the publishers tell them up front) but... sadly I have no interest in it.

It would be great is Steam uses the Flash deals to promote more older/unknown games... instead of putting the same dailies over and over again.

[quote name='asheskitty']That's been up for a few days, but they ran out of keys fairly soon.[/QUOTE]

Oh D'OH on my part.

And knowing GMG they will get keys back in stock right after the sale and voucher end. :roll:

[quote name='juanjava']It would be great is Steam uses the Flash deals to promote more older/unknown games... instead of putting the same dailies over and over again.[/QUOTE]

That would make too much sense. People need more opportunities to pick up Binding of Isaac and Alan Wake.

Oh hell yeah!

I had to send in my XFX single fan 6870 into the shop for fan failure/overheating.

XFX sends me back a double D 6870 back.

Woot! Can't wait to play some Bethesda games on this baby!!

[quote name='Motoki']Oh D'OH on my part.

And knowing GMG they will get keys back in stock right after the sale and voucher end. :roll:[/QUOTE]

^_^ nod. I was surprised that they didn't run out of keys on Civ 5 G&K (well at the last time I checked, evening PST).

[quote name='facls']I've been waiting for a decent Blood Stone sale for quite some time. I don't think it has ever been below 10 dollars.[/QUOTE]
I think they had it in a combo deal with Qos at one point for a weekend deal, but I saw it and meant to get it later, but forgot about it.

[quote name='contej85']Thank you very much.

No graphic mods or anything I'll want? Cool![/QUOTE]

There's a widescreen hack/exe but it breaks the game a bit and introduces bugs that the restored content mod fixes, so not really something I'd use.

[quote name='Corpekata']There's a widescreen hack/exe but it breaks the game a bit and introduces bugs that the restored content mod fixes, so not really something I'd use.[/QUOTE]

That's all I needed to know. I don't mind the letterboxing so unless it improves other stuff, I'll stay away.

Thank you very much. Really appreciate it. Couldn't find an appropriate thread and didn't seem worth creating one.

[quote name='facls']I've been waiting for a decent Blood Stone sale for quite some time. I don't think it has ever been below 10 dollars.[/QUOTE]

My Dad had that for 360, played it last year at X-mas. Except for one driving section that gave me grief, it was pretty good. Shame the reviews on this year's 007 are so poor.

[quote name='Showstoppa42']That was the Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle, by LucasArts.

The Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack, by Telltale Games, currently 50% off at $17.49, hasn't been featured in the current sale yet.[/QUOTE]

I have been hoping for some telltale discounts all this time. I'm only missing stuff from the past year or so, and buying another complete bundle would probably be a slight savings, but it doesn't make much sense to me, throwing away the 10+ titles I already have.

I haven't bought anything from steam in a couple days. Got the spec ops deal from GMG. Wasn't that interested, but at the price I'll see what's what. Still hoping GG sells something worthwhile so I can burn up the leftover blue coins. Might get today's Last Remnant just for that.

Hero Academy is on my wishlist, but again, bundle fodder. The 2 pack for a dollar doesn't seem that bad though. Even if it does end up in a bundle, it's only a dollar.

So what's the deal with Hero Academy? I've heard of the iOS version. does it work across platforms and such? Worth it?

Not an impulse buy at $4.24, so need to know is just the base game is worthwhile.

Fear Collection question -

Which games are able to be used with the xbox 360 controller on steam?
I know 3 says it does, I am hoping a few of the others were retrofitted with that function and are not listing it like some other games that don't explicitly say it.

If the other two do not have it, is there a process anyone is using to get it working? I ask cause It would be nice to get this set but I know I will gravitate to other games that do use it already ... making this a waste of a purchase for the time being.

Thanks,

[quote name='contej85']So what's the deal with Hero Academy? I've heard of the iOS version. does it work across platforms and such? Worth it?

Not an impulse buy at $4.24, so need to know is just the base game is worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I was able to play friends on Steam using the iphone version. You even get access to the TF2 team on the iphone if you bought the Steam version. I liked it, but I got burned out playing it early on and haven't touched it since.

[quote name='Corpekata']There's a widescreen hack/exe but it breaks the game a bit and introduces bugs that the restored content mod fixes, so not really something I'd use.[/QUOTE]

I appreciated the info too - but any second opinions on this? The widescreen hack for the first game worked swimmingly for me. Is the second one really that bad?

[quote name='Rirse']Yep, I was able to play friends on Steam using the iphone version. You even get access to the TF2 team on the iphone if you bought the Steam version. I liked it, but I got burned out playing it early on and haven't touched it since.[/QUOTE]

Android here, so the iOS thing does nothing for me unfortunately, other than being able to play against friends.

So I bought Far Cry on Amazon about a year ago with the Ubi sale/coupons. Played it through and really liked it but had one hell of a time installing it on Win7 x64. Considering double dipping for $2.49 on Steam as I might play it through again some day but I hope someone here can shed some light on the following:

- Is the Steam version a straight install on 64-bit? Believe it's only the regular installer that is giving problems and that would have been completely replaced by the Steam installer right?

- Is the Steam version compatible with the "AMD64" Higher res patch?

Any other things to consider?

Thanks in advance

Is the DLC worth the extra dough? For someone who probably won't end up playing the game that much, but is just buying it because it's cheap? ;)

[quote name='tham1988']damn i might go ahead and get the fear collection and mirror's edge
opinions?[/QUOTE]

I keep passing on FEAR like 100x but I feel like sooner or later I'll get so sick of seeing it on sale that I'll just cave and buy it even though I don't want it.

It's Magicka and Serious Sam Syndrome.

What these sales do to me.

[quote name='contej85']So what's the deal with Hero Academy? I've heard of the iOS version. does it work across platforms and such? Worth it?

Not an impulse buy at $4.24, so need to know is just the base game is worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

Cross-platform, and asynchronous turn-based so you can take a couple of minutes to play your turns whenever. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly as a light strategy tactics-esque game. The additional content in the Gold Pack (which I just upgraded to) is more teams. All of the teams have a very different playstyle. The base game gives you two teams, The Council and TF2.

[quote name='Malibuz0r']Is the "Alan Wake Franchise" worth it? 10$.[/QUOTE]

Is it still on sale at GMG? I got it for $8.80 using the coupons in two order ... that is like getting the base Hero Academy free .. so that is something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back