The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll likely bite on Hell Yeah. It's lower than it'll probably ever be on 360 and it'll most likely just drop down to $2.50 in a couple of sales, so I'm saving a little over a buck. Worst case scenario is it ends up in a bundle.

[quote name='SuiCide_KiNg_213']who is selling all these packs?[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10357749&postcount=14288

His prices are lower than Steam 99% of the time. Anytime there was something on sale that I was interested in, I always made sure to check for his posts before I made a purchase. Saved me a lot of money. Hell, I feel like I'm referring my drug dealer. Fair prices and quick delivery, yo!

Alright, I know I kinda asked this yesterday, and I appreciate the replies. But I'm gonna put a bit of a variant on it since I'm a little strapped for cash.

Which is better, Tropico 3 Gold or Tropico 4 Vanilla?

Again I appreciate the opinions everyone! Motoki, you especially, since you always seem to give a thought out answer when I ask something here. :p

[quote name='Tsel']I'll likely bite on Hell Yeah. It's lower than it'll probably ever be on 360 and it'll most likely just drop down to $2.50 in a couple of sales, so I'm saving a little over a buck. Worst case scenario is it ends up in a bundle.[/QUOTE]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think SEGA has ventured into "bundle" territory yet.

[quote name='jshackles']Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think SEGA has ventured into "bundle" territory yet.[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot it was Sega. Never mind then! To be fair though, while they don't necessarily do 'indie' bundles, Amazon has had a few Sega bundles with some very low prices.

[quote name='Tsel']I'll likely bite on Hell Yeah. It's lower than it'll probably ever be on 360 and it'll most likely just drop down to $2.50 in a couple of sales, so I'm saving a little over a buck. Worst case scenario is it ends up in a bundle.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10357749&postcount=14288

His prices are lower than Steam 99% of the time. Anytime there was something on sale that I was interested in, I always made sure to check for his posts before I made a purchase. Saved me a lot of money. Hell, I feel like I'm referring my drug dealer. Fair prices and quick delivery, yo![/QUOTE]

Much obliged!

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Alright, I know I kinda asked this yesterday, and I appreciate the replies. But I'm gonna put a bit of a variant on it since I'm a little strapped for cash.

Which is better, Tropico 3 Gold or Tropico 4 Vanilla?

Again I appreciate the opinions everyone! Motoki, you especially, since you always seem to give a thought out answer when I ask something here. :p[/QUOTE]

You know, I'm actually kind of torn on this.

On the one hand, without Modern Times there's not a huge difference between the two but on the other there's not a huge price difference between them right now, 80% off of T4 is a good deal and you still get the option to add Modern Times later.

Of course they probably will do a Tropico 4 GOTY or whatever at some point when they stop finally stop releasing dlc for it so there's that.

I don't know, anyone else have an opinion?

I guess they ultimate cheapass thing to do is get 3 now and wait for a cheap GOTY on 4 later.

If anyone should need anything from gamersgate before their stuff is over, I do still have a loaf of blue coins I don't know what to do with, and I'd be happy to help you to a small discount...

[quote name='Motoki']You know, I'm actually kind of torn on this.

On the one hand, without Modern Times there's not a huge difference between the two but on the other there's not a huge price difference between them right now, 80% off of T4 is a good deal and you still get the option to add Modern Times later.

Of course they probably will do a Tropico 4 GOTY or whatever at some point when they stop finally stop releasing dlc for it so there's that.
[/QUOTE]

Them being so similar, that's mainly what I was wondering about. 6 dollars is good, but 3.75 for nearly the same game is really good. All the rest are things I've considered as well, plus the fact it'll be at least a little more of an upgrade to go from 3 gold to 4 complete, whenever it gets an 'everything included' release.

... get 3 now and wait for a cheap GOTY on 4 later.
That's the way I'm currently leaning, thanks!

[quote name='Tsel']It depends. Which one aren't you going to play first?[/QUOTE]

I've got over 20 hours in Tropico Reloaded, I think this will actually get some of my time, heh. I do understand though, my backlog is pretty big, and P4G is currently devouring my playing time, but Tropico will probably go higher on my priority list than a lot of what I have. :p

[quote name='jshackles']I played a few hours of it. It's a decent platformer but it certainly feels like it holds your hand a lot in the beginning, and the "finishing moves" get incredibly repetitive after the first few mini-bosses.

Not bad for less than $4, I think that's what I picked it up for.[/QUOTE]

I picked up Hell Yeah, now I'm making a YouTube playlist of all the "hidden gems" that sound interesting from Kaotik's (I think? I'm serious about the bad memory) list. Going to hop on the treadmill and see if any of the hidden gems look purchase-worthy.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']It's a good game, although not as good as CK2. It's been as cheap as $4.50 on GamersGate before, but that version doesn't register on Steam. I believe that $7.99 is the cheapest that the Steam copy has ever been. Probably worth waiting the extra day to see if there's a last-minute sale on it, but I doubt that there will be.[/QUOTE]
Yeah thats what I heard. It was kind of a test bed for CK2 and something to help bring in funds while they finished development on CK2 as well. It's also supposed to be more focused on war and less on diplomacy so I think I'll grab it after I see the remaining flash sales. I also have seen it hit those prices on Gamersgate and I think even amazon once. But holding out for steam.

[quote name='Motoki']You know, I'm actually kind of torn on this.

I don't know, anyone else have an opinion?

I guess they ultimate cheapass thing to do is get 3 now and wait for a cheap GOTY on 4 later.[/QUOTE]

You told me all the DLC outside of Modern Times was basically one new building. That's the only thing I know about it. I'm hoping I shouldn't have waited for a GOTY.

Okay, so who has Evochron Mercenary (full version)?
And what is your opinion on it?
And how does it compare to say Freelancer? Freespace series? Egosoft X series?

[quote name='MysterD']Okay, so who has Evochron Mercenary (full version)?
And what is your opinion on it?
And how does it compare to say Freelancer? Freespace series? Egosoft X series?[/QUOTE]
If you want another Freelancery game for much cheaper (only DRM-free though), grab Flatspace 1 and 2 here for $0.25.

No idea if they're good or not... but they look interesting. I grabbed them.

[quote name='plft']Speaking of Tropico, are the first two games worth playing or did they not age well. $1.74 for the first game, expansion and second. http://store.steampowered.com/app/33520/[/QUOTE]

Well, they are older and the graphics are not nearly as pretty. That being said, Tropico 1 is probably my most played game ever. I put hundreds of hours into it. However, Tropico 3 is essentially just a nice graphical remake of Tropico 1 so keep that in mind.

Tropico 2 is completely different but the graphics are just as old as Tropico 1 (limited resolution, 4x3 screen). Its pirate themed back in the 1600s so if that sounds fun to you, its worth checking out. Not nearly as engaging as the other Tropico games but it has its own charm.

My only recommendation to pick up Tropico 1 is if you want to be an ultimate CAG and maximize your dollars. Tropico 2 if the concept sounds interesting to you.

[quote name='plft']Speaking of Tropico, are the first two games worth playing or did they not age well. $1.74 for the first game, expansion and second. http://store.steampowered.com/app/33520/[/QUOTE]

If you don't want to cough up the extra $2 to get 3 Gold, then I'd say yes it's worth it if you want a good city sim. It hasn't been that long since I purchased it myself, and I've enjoyed it. I personally find a lot of city sims boring or repetitive, or at least kind of slow to start, but Tropico felt to me like it had more gameplay elements to it. The most dated thing about it is the graphics, which are all isometric fake 3d-ish, which is one reason why I'm looking forward to getting 3 or 4.

I haven't played 2 at all though, because I heard it wasn't as good as the original.

All the talk about Tropico here finally pushed me to order it. Tropico 3 Gold it is!

The other game I've been wavering on is Football Manager 2013. Please do not tempt me by discussing that as well. :)

[quote name='arschloch']All the talk about Tropico here finally pushed me to order it. Tropico 3 Gold it is!

The other game I've been wavering on is Football Manager 2013. Please do not tempt me by discussing that as well. :)[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. I didn't like Civilization V until everyone kept talking about it. Now I've got like twelve hours this week.

Is Sleeping Dogs worth the 16.99$

I'm kind of tired of open world games, but this looks like a unique enough experience.

How are the graphics on the PC vs XBOX?
Is it controller compatible?

[quote name='Bluesilo']Is Sleeping Dogs worth the 16.99$

I'm kind of tired of open world games, but this looks like a unique enough experience.[/quote]
Yes, but keep this in mind:
Sleeping Dogs PC was $11.90 a few weeks ago on GMG w/ an extra $6 GMG credit for your next GMG purchase(s).

Nixxes did another fantastic PC port w/ PC graphics options and PC support galore - like they did w/ Deus Ex: HR & Hitman: Absolution.

See this article from Kotaku about it:
http://kotaku.com/5935786/darksiders-ii-and-sleeping-dogs-a-tale-of-two-very-different-pc-ports

See Rev3 video on PC vs. console comparisons on Sleeping Dogs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WVsFP0eDYV8#!

Is it controller compatible?
X360 controller is what I used for Sleeping Dogs PC.

I'm kind of tired of open world games, but this looks like a unique enough experience.

Is it controller compatible?[/QUOTE]

Worth it, um...yes. Has it been cheaper, yes. (GMG $6 or $8; credit vs. cash back)
Graphics comparison...really?...PC vs. XBOX...really? XBOX is good...
PC is GREAT!
Haven't tried a controller, but it's listed as having partial controller support, so I'd imagine a 360 controller should be fine.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I had the same problem. I didn't like Civilization V until everyone kept talking about it. Now I've got like twelve hours this week.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Civilization is crack. I haven't played V, but versions II, III, and IV were enough for me.

This year, I've replaced Civilization with CK2. I find CK2 is like highly concentrated crack.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I had the same problem. I didn't like Civilization V until everyone kept talking about it. Now I've got like twelve hours this week.[/QUOTE]

Guess you're glad then, eh? I love Civ V. Seemed like a lot of people complained about unit's not stacking, but that's my favorite thing about it, compared to the others. Seems like it makes it so you don't have to waste so much time with military production if you're not going for military victory, and to me that balances things out a lot better, and doesn't make military aspects of the game needlessly complex. Of course the opposing argument is completely valid too, just a matter of opinion that I feel is a little skewed by nostalgia. :p But of course that's gaming in general, heh.

[quote name='arschloch']Yeah. Civilization is crack. I haven't played V, but versions II, III, and IV were enough for me.

This year, I've replaced Civilization with CK2. I find CK2 is like highly concentrated crack.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try to remember that next time it goes really cheap. I love turn based strategy.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mind the extra five dollars if I'm interested in it today.

Nice to know that PC version is the way to go with this.

[quote name='Terlan']Yeah thats what I heard. It was kind of a test bed for CK2 and something to help bring in funds while they finished development on CK2 as well. It's also supposed to be more focused on war and less on diplomacy so I think I'll grab it after I see the remaining flash sales. I also have seen it hit those prices on Gamersgate and I think even amazon once. But holding out for steam.[/QUOTE]

You're right -- it really was a trial run for the new version of the character-to-character interaction system that Paradox first put into place in CK1 and EU: Rome. That said, the game is still good, but unlike most of Paradox's other games, it has a specific goal: control half of Japan. Because of this, the game's mechanics are more focused on warfare, and you spend more of your time as a player waging war than you do in a game like CK2. It's still a quality game, but it's not as deep or polished as CK2. I've put some hours into and enjoyed it, but I haven't really gone back after getting CK2.

Is it controller compatible?[/QUOTE]

Yeah its controller compatible. I even use MotionJoy with a PS3 controller that makes its think its a Xbox 360 controller and it puts everything as if you were playing on 360.

Very fun game though. The combat is fun, driving is tight, but I havent really used much guns or the shooting parts. The game is Batman AA combat + Just Cause 2. Although now playing Far Cry 3, I havent gone back to Sleeping Dogs yet.

BTW, for anyone already with Sleeping Dogs, grab the Drunken Fist pack instantly. I love Jackies Drunken Master so I had to have it.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Worth it, um...yes. Has it been cheaper, yes. (GMG $6 or $8; credit vs. cash back)
Graphics comparison...really?...PC vs. XBOX...really? XBOX is good...
PC is GREAT!
Haven't tried a controller, but it's listed as having partial controller support, so I'd imagine a 360 controller should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought the X360 controller was perfect for driving and especially the hand-to-hand combat (feels similar to Batman: AA + AC's combat).

X360 was was fine for shooting, but it ain't optimal for these kind of games. I just can't do WSAD for movements w/ KB/mouse. My brain doesn't like it - b/c I'm left-handed.
You unfortunately cannot bind cursors (Up, Down, Left, Right arrows key) to movement here in Sleeping Dogs PC. :(

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try to remember that next time it goes really cheap. I love turn based strategy.[/QUOTE]

CK2 is more of a pauseable real-time game -- think SimCity, where the game runs in real-time, but you can adjust the speed to really slow or really fast, or pause and do stuff when you need to. It's a great game, but if you're coming from Civ, it does take a little getting used to.

[quote name='Broken Cage']You told me all the DLC outside of Modern Times was basically one new building. That's the only thing I know about it. I'm hoping I shouldn't have waited for a GOTY.[/QUOTE]

It is, but I just meant if he's not going to get MT now anyway it will probably be bundled up with the other minor DLC later. I mean combined getting 5 new building plus MT plus the base cheap someday down the road is a good deal but who the hell knows when that will be?

If you genuinely are going to play it now (and I can truthfully say I have played T4 extensively which is rare for me) then MT is worth it but the rest are meh.

DaiMonPaul is right re: CK2. I found the learning curve to be a bit steeper than the Civ series and you sort of have to recalibrate what's important in the game (relative to what's important in Civ, if that's your reference point like it was for me). Before trying to play, I watched a LP video, read an LP report, went through the in-game tutorials (which are quite basic), and those were enough for me to get my bearings.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']CK2 is more of a pauseable real-time game -- think SimCity, where the game runs in real-time, but you can adjust the speed to really slow or really fast, or pause and do stuff when you need to. It's a great game, but if you're coming from Civ, it does take a little getting used to.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see. As long as it's not frantic clicking, or something you have to do with great speed, I'm good. :p That's why I don't typically like real time strategies, I prefer to think about my actions, and not rely so much on muscle memory.

Strategy fans, I know I've said this before, but dear gosh Frozen Synapse... That game is so freaking amazing.

[quote name='Motoki']It is, but I just meant if he's not going to get MT now anyway it will probably be bundled up with the other minor DLC later. I mean combined getting 5 new building plus MT plus the base cheap someday down the road is a good deal but who the hell knows when that will be?

If you genuinely are going to play it now (and I can truthfully say I have played T4 extensively which is rare for me) then MT is worth it but the rest are meh.[/QUOTE]

No. I think you screwed me, and I'm going to get you for it. It's coming... I found the perfect thing.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Well I broke down and bought the Strategy First bundle from Jake. For $20 you can't call yourself a CAG if you don't get it.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to wait for the Strat First bundle from Tony.

i just looked at my wishlist of games that haven't been on sale yet and got really sad
and i'm extremely sad that one of them is red alert 3 and it got shut down in that community choice a while ago

[quote name='Broken Cage']No. I think you screwed me, and I'm going to get you for it. It's coming... I found the perfect thing.[/QUOTE]

Flowette already gave me the Cricket game. At least I think it was him.

Thanks for Skyrim Cycling though.

[quote name='Idiotekque']If you want another Freelancery game for much cheaper (only DRM-free though), grab Flatspace 1 and 2 here for $0.25.
[/QUOTE]

I bought mobloid from them last week and I can't figure out how to get it. I can't log in, since as far as I can tell there was never a time when I set a password - purchasing just asks for a name and email - and whenever I ask it to reset my password, it says "Success! Please check your email for further details on resetting your password." and never sends me anything.

Feels like I could have just thrown that dollar away.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Well I broke down and bought the Strategy First bundle from Jake. For $20 you can't call yourself a CAG if you don't get it.[/QUOTE]

I gave serious thought to buying the pack. Mostly because it bundles in all the Playfirst games in there for some odd reason. But then after the response that I got to this question, I had to pass.

[quote name='The End']I gave serious thought to buying the pack. Mostly because it bundles in all the Playfirst games in there for some odd reason. But then after the response that I got to this question, I had to pass.[/QUOTE]

Quick! Someone sneak onto The End's computer and install Bad Rats!

I don't care whatsoever what games are in my library. In no way are those games a reflection of who I am. The more the merrier.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Quick! Someone sneak onto The End's computer and install Bad Rats![/QUOTE]

Or try to find some place that sells Bad Rats Steam keys, and tell him it's something else!

Has Civilization V GOTY been cheaper than $12.50? Is the GOTY worth getting to begin with? Never played the Civ franchise but I feel like trying it out.

[quote name='jshackles']Or try to find some place that sells Bad Rats Steam keys, and tell him it's something else![/QUOTE]

He's really anal about not activating his keys
unless it's from Gamersgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back