The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tsel']Lol I actually bought myself a copy right when the sale happened, but then you gifted me one, so I was just planning on gifting away my copy and keeping yours. Now I have three copies of Doom Rails in my inventory. I don't usually keep things in my inventory. I'm only doing this until the sale is over.[/QUOTE]
you should gift it to me bro

I know this is a bundle game and it's only 50% off but I really liked the demo I played on Desura of Thomas Was Alone The gameplay is simple enough but the narration (Danny Wallace) and music really pulled me in. I think I'll be picking that up along with Critter Crunch, Velvet Assassin (missed whatever bundle it was in) and Emerald City Confidential for the wife.

Steam:
Doom Rails - $0.74
Zeno Clash - $0.99
Hero Academy 2-pack - $1.99
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - $1.99
Ace of Spades - $3.74
FTL - $4.99
Doom pack - $6.98
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack - $9.99
Sims 3: Ambitions - $10.19
Sims 3: Generations - $13.19
Sims 3: Pets - $13.19
Tomb Raider Collection - $14.99
Sims 3: Season - $19.99 (!)

Total: $102.96

Amazon:
Hotline Miami - Free
Dreamcast Pack - $4.99
Sega Genesis Classic Game Pack - $4.99
LEGO Lord of the Rings - $7.50
Scribblenauts Unlimited - $7.50
Prototype Pack - $7.50
Darksiders Franchise Pack - $8.19
The Most Serious Bundle Ever - $9.99
Tantalizing THQ Medley - $9.99

Total: $60.65

Gamersgate:
Alan Wake's American Nightmare - $1.79
Alan Wake Collector's Edition x2 - $4.16/ea
Legacy of Kain Collection - $5.81
Borderlands 2 season pass x2 - $7.49/ea

Total: $30.90

GMG:
Sine Mora - $2.00

Total: $2.00

CAG (Steam keys):
Waking Mars - $0.50
Bioshock 1 & 2 - $3
Pendulo Adventure Pack - $11
Strategy First Collection - $20

Total: $34.50

Gifts:
Hotline Miami
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Doom Rails x2 (Thanks Motoki)
Family Gaming Pack (^)

Barring some last minute purchases, this looks to be about it. I didn't include the Bethesda or Borderlands 2 Gamersgate messups because those orders are still in limbo. I did manage to redeem a Skyrim and Borderlands 2 key though, but I'm not sure how to price that out.

Grand Total: $231.01

[quote name='Tsel']I apologize as well, Motoki, but I had every intention of redeeming it once the sale ended. I was just hoarding everything in my inventory as a way to see everything that I've bought in one handy dandy place.[/QUOTE]

Well there is one good reason for keeping stuff in your inventory until you're ready to play. If you buy a game, and then later on you decide to buy a franchise or Publisher pack with that game IN it, you still have the flexibility to trade or sell off that game if it's still in your inventory. Case in point, I bought Tales of Monkey Island during the Summer sale, but because I didn't activate it, I now have the freedom to sell/trade it now that I have the Telltale collection.

Though I guess it is rude to keep an item in your inventory when it was gifted to you. So, sorry about that Motoki. As I said, I just forgot about it. It wasn't an intentional slight.

[quote name='Motoki']Man Ghandi talked so much smack in my Civ V game. It was hilarious!

2hf4exc.jpg
[/QUOTE]
If the Civilization series has taught us anything, it's
Gandhi is a Dick!!!!

[quote name='Motoki']Whoah, The Sims Medieval Pirates and Nobles expansion just mysteriously turned back up on Steam without explanation.

Of course it happened after the daily/flash deals for the Sims, but it's 50% off now.[/QUOTE]

Is it just me, or is it already gone again?

Edit: It's visible on the main game's page as DLC, but clicking it there also goes back to the storefront. Can't search for it. Trying to add to your cart gives you: SORRY, WE COULDN'T ADD YOUR ITEM!

[quote name='Tsel']So does anyone know why Steam keeps emptying my cart randomly? Annoying the hell out of me.[/QUOTE]

This happened to me several times today. It's the main reason I did my purchases individually, as I got tired of it clearing my cart.

[quote name='DPsycho']Is it just me, or is it already gone again?

Edit: It's visible on the main game's page as DLC, but clicking it there also goes back to the storefront. Can't search for it. Trying to add to your cart gives you: SORRY, WE COULDN'T ADD YOUR ITEM![/QUOTE]

It's weird, it's sort of there but not there. It's Schrodinger's DLC.

I'd imagine you'd need to own the base for it to let you buy it though.

[quote name='melvinmelon123']Somebody talk me out of the THQ collection... I know I won't touch any of the games for a while, but it seems like they will never be cheaper than that pack.[/QUOTE]

Don't buy the THQ collection. Not comprehensive and no DLC. The Dawn of War Franchise pack when it was $10 was a much better deal. Also some of that stuff in that THQ collection has been either free or in the Humble THQ bundle, or else dirt cheap at Amazon.

Magnetis, Roogoo, and Puzzle Dimension. Every Steam sale, they always taunt me with their incredibly low prices. Is this the sale I finally say hell with it and pick them up? You tell me.

[quote name='DPsycho']Is it just me, or is it already gone again?

Edit: It's visible on the main game's page as DLC, but clicking it there also goes back to the storefront. Can't search for it. Trying to add to your cart gives you: SORRY, WE COULDN'T ADD YOUR ITEM![/QUOTE]

Took some fighting, but I managed to add it to my cart and buy it. I might have overpaid considering how cheap I got the base game for. But if this turns out to be a momentary glitch and it disappeared from the store forever, it would bug me a lot more knowing that I missed a chance to get it, than it would feeling that I overpaid.

[quote name='Motoki']Don't buy the THQ collection. Not comprehensive and no DLC. The Dawn of War Franchise pack when it was $10 was a much better deal. Also some of that stuff in that THQ collection has been either free or in the Humble THQ bundle, or else dirt cheap at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

That'll do it. My wallet thanks you.

My haul thus far:

Steam
-Nothing-
-----------
Total Spent: $0.00

Amazon
Scribblenauts Unlimited - $0.00 ($4.50 Amazon GC; traded for Fallout: NV UE)
Hotline Miami - $0.00 ($5.00 EC Credit from Scribblenauts purchase)
-----------
Total Spent: $0.00

Green Man Gaming
Sine Mora - $2.00
-----------
Total Spent: $2.00

Grand Total Spent: $2.00
Grand Total Purchased: 3 games

Very small haul for me this holiday and, surprisingly, not a single purchase from Steam. Will be interesting to see if any of the recap deals tempt me enough to make a purchase.

[quote name='The End']Took some fighting, but I managed to add it to my cart and buy it. I might have overpaid considering how cheap I got the base game for. But if this turns out to be a momentary glitch and it disappeared from the store forever, it would bug me a lot more knowing that I missed a chance to get it, than it would feeling that I overpaid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah same here. Steam keeps dumping stuff out of my cart right now but I was quick and managed to get it.

The Sims stuff doesn't go on sale that much there anyway so even 50% off is something. Plus I'm kind of afraid it will disappear again.

[quote name='Tsel']Is the Daedalic bundle worth getting? I want all of the games within the bundle, but after spending $20 on the Strategy First bundle, it's hard to justify dropping $18 on a bundle with far less games, even if they are likely to be far better.[/QUOTE]

$18? It's showing up as $28 for me. I've been eyeing it also.

[quote name='melvinmelon123']Somebody talk me out of the THQ collection... I know I won't touch any of the games for a while, but it seems like they will never be cheaper than that pack.[/QUOTE]

As Motoki pointed out, many of those games have already been cheaper. They probably will be again. In fact, you could likely get a lot of the keys for dirt cheap over in the FS/T thread.

It is, however, a great bunch of games at an excellent price. I mean, some REALLY good games in there, and they're practically giving them away. If you're not the type of person who wants to buy keys off of people, watch for future bundles, etc., but instead prefer to shop more casually and spend more time playing games, go for it. Excellent value.

Personally, I'm double-checking that I have all the THQ games that I want on Steam. THQ is on shaky ground right now, and while it looks like they could come out of it cleanly, there's still a chance they go under entirely or something (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...l-of-bankruptcy-sale-process-and-loan-1-.html) and the games get pulled. If you own them prior to being delisted, you own them forever.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Oh, I see. As long as it's not frantic clicking, or something you have to do with great speed, I'm good. :p That's why I don't typically like real time strategies, I prefer to think about my actions, and not rely so much on muscle memory.

Strategy fans, I know I've said this before, but dear gosh Frozen Synapse... That game is so freaking amazing.[/QUOTE]

Ugh...thx....another thing on my wishlist!

Alright, grabbed my last-day wishlist pile.

Emerald City Confidential $3.99
Inside a Star Filled Sky $1.99
Penny Arcade's On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 $2.00
Magical Diary $6.74
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten $5.10
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club $3.99
Winter Voices Episode 5: Overflow $1.99

I'll put together my full tally tomorrow after I see whether the recaps tempt me. I was really close to buying the first two Far Cry games...

[quote name='Tsel']Magnetis, Roogoo, and Puzzle Dimension. Every Steam sale, they always taunt me with their incredibly low prices. Is this the sale I finally say hell with it and pick them up? You tell me.[/QUOTE]

Just me being impatient, but I'll also throw in one last question. Hell Yeah? Or Hell No? If it was $2.49, I'd buy it right away, but I've seriously been debating it all day. I'm torn.

[quote name='Lint21']As Motoki pointed out, many of those games have already been cheaper. They probably will be again. In fact, you could likely get a lot of the keys for dirt cheap over in the FS/T thread.

It is, however, a great bunch of games at an excellent price. I mean, some REALLY good games in there, and they're practically giving them away. If you're not the type of person who wants to buy keys off of people, watch for future bundles, etc., but instead prefer to shop more casually and spend more time playing games, go for it. Excellent value.

Personally, I'm double-checking that I have all the THQ games that I want on Steam. THQ is on shaky ground right now, and while it looks like they could come out of it cleanly, there's still a chance they go under entirely or something (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...l-of-bankruptcy-sale-process-and-loan-1-.html) and the games get pulled. If you own them prior to being delisted, you own them forever.[/QUOTE]
Yeah just received this email about THQ

Last month THQ declared bankruptcy and announced plans to sell to the equity firm Clearlake Capital. It was a troubling development for the struggling publisher, but if the sale goes as planned, it will mean they could potentially continue to operate, without the need for staff cuts or game closures. Unfortunately, the sale may not go as planned.
Distressed Debt Investing report that two objections have been filled in the case. The first, raised by the US Trustee overseeing the bankruptcy, is… complicated. Essentially her complaint is that the short timing of the sale and high reimbursement rate unfairly benefit Clearlake. The proposed sale hearing of January 10 and $2.25 million due to Clearlake if another company won the bid essentially block other interested parties from participating.
The second objection was raised by THQ’s own creditors, and its motivations are far more obvious. Their problem with the sale is the way THQ management have arranged the terms to favour keeping jobs and ensuring the company’s future over debt payments. Standard bankruptcy practice is to chop the company into little bits and sell each one piecemeal. THQ’s terms ensure the company would be bought as a whole. Which sounds like a good thing, but it doesn’t let the money-men maximise their profits, so obviously it must be bad.
“Taken as a whole, the bidding procedures are designed specifically to ensure that Clearlake is the successful bidder and that the Debtors’ business will continue as a ‘going concern,’ whether or not such outcome would be in the best interests of the Debtors’ unsecured creditors and/or maximize the value of the Debtors’ estates,” the committee of note holders stated.
The court hearing on bidding procedures is scheduled for tomorrow.
Thanks, GI.biz.

Don't know why the link didn't copy right
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/04/thqs-quick-sale-could-stall-creditors-say-the-terms-arent-in-their-best-interests/

[quote name='DPsycho']Alright, grabbed my last-day wishlist pile.

Emerald City Confidential $3.99
[/QUOTE]

I got it for that price in the Fall sale but now all this talk about getting the Strategy First pack for $20 is kind of making me regret buying ECC on its own.

[quote name='Tsel']Just me being impatient, but I'll also throw in one last question. Hell Yeah? Or Hell No? If it was $2.49, I'd buy it right away, but I've seriously been debating it all day. I'm torn.[/QUOTE]

30212830.jpg

Actually I already own it and it seems decent enough, I just wanted an excuse to use that meme.

[quote name='Motoki']I got it for that price in the Fall sale but now all this talk about getting the Strategy First pack for $20 is kind of making me regret buying ECC on its own.[/QUOTE]

I looked it over, and there is simply too much that I don't want from it. Nothing against the Diner Dash games or those who enjoy playing multiple takes on the formula, but there is so much that I would play first that I would never get to them. (I own the original through Amazon, and that's plenty.)

Looking at it realistically, I would be overpaying getting it at $20 to play the couple of games of interest in it that I didn't already own. (Like for you, there are a lot of green bars in there, but there was only the one blue one.)

I'm unwrapping all of the gifts in my inventory. Prepare for all of the "Tsel now owns _________" posts. :D

EDIT: Aw, bummer, it adds the packs as one item.

[quote name='DPsycho'](Like for you, there are a lot of green bars in there, but there was only the one blue one.)[/QUOTE]

I really can't believe Valve hasn't implemented a lot of the stuff in Enhanced Steam that I have, such as the colored bars on bundle pages.

As a side note, I've been using the extension for a few days now and as a result of coding it sometimes have it turned off when I'm making changes. It surprises me how much I've come to rely on it's color queues when making purchasing decisions now!

:D

[quote name='jshackles']I really can't believe Valve hasn't implemented a lot of the stuff in Enhanced Steam that I have, such as the colored bars on bundle pages.

As a side note, I've been using the extension for a few days now and as a result of coding it sometimes have it turned off when I'm making changes. It surprises me how much I've come to rely on it's color queues when making purchasing decisions now!

:D[/QUOTE]

I was at work today going 'Why the hell aren't the colors showing up dammit!...Oh wait, this is my work computer and I'm stuck on IE here' :lol:

[quote name='DPsycho']I phrased it as the color coding just for you. ;) Props! Love your add-on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Though, for the record, you can now change what the colors are in the options page, just that green and blue are the "defaults".

[quote name='Motoki']I was at work today going 'Why the hell aren't the colors showing up dammit!...Oh wait, this is my work computer and I'm stuck on IE here' :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ouch I think if I were stuck in IE at work I'd have to find a new job. Unfortunately, I have to support it for my users, which means I have to know a lot about it. I know enough about it to know I would never want to use it on a regular basis lol

[quote name='carl7117']damn totalbiscuits youtube videos would have been helpful for this sale just found out about him[/QUOTE]

If you watch one of his puzzle game 'wtf is...' then just listen to it and don't watch it otherwise you will want to smack him through the computer.

Alright I gotta ask.....am I missing out on Doom Rails?...It all honesty it can't be THAT bad. lmao

Also can't believe you guys have me considering buying the strategy first bundle. *sigh*

[quote name='doodofdoods']need moar last day buy posts.

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club looks good to me, going to buy that.[/QUOTE]

Play the demo version! I thought it was disappointing.

[quote name='oman19']
also can't believe you guys have me considering buying the strategy first bundle. *sigh*[/quote]

do eet!

Question: Was LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean ever on Steam? I know it was ported to PC, since Amazon has a (sadly, non-Steam) download. Strange that it's the only Lego game not available.

[quote name='carl7117']damn totalbiscuits youtube videos would have been helpful for this sale just found out about him[/QUOTE]

People give him way, way too much power.

He's a guy on the internet with an opinion which is worth about as much the opinion of any guy on the internet with an opinion.

Heh, GG is now showing as daily deals: 18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul, 18 Wheels of Steel: Convoy, and 18 Wheels of Steel: Haulin', although like the Extreme Trucker and Extreme Trucker 2 installments of that series, they appear to be at list price.

[quote name='jshackles']Question: Was LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean ever on Steam? I know it was ported to PC, since Amazon has a (sadly, non-Steam) download. Strange that it's the only Lego game not available.[/QUOTE]

No, it's Disney. And for whatever reason, Disney doesn't seem to like steam.

[quote name='The End']No, it's Disney. And for whatever reason, Disney doesn't seem to like steam.[/QUOTE]

This makes the digital-game-hoarder in me very sad. :(

Thanks for the info!

[quote name='jshackles']do eet!

Question: Was LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean ever on Steam? I know it was ported to PC, since Amazon has a (sadly, non-Steam) download. Strange that it's the only Lego game not available.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe so. The thing is it's got a totally different publisher, Disney, and for whatever reason they don't put their PC games on Steam. Same goes for Tron, Cars, Toy Story etc.

*Edit: Ninja'ed by The End!

If you really want it keep an eye out for the Disney Kids and Family Pack at Amazon. It has been as low as $8.99 before.

You can set a price watch for it at that Camelcamelcamel link above. For some reason it shows Amazon DD as a 3rd party but it should still work if you do the price watch on it.

[quote name='Motoki']
You can set a price watch for it at that Camelcamelcamel link above. For some reason it shows Amazon DD as a 3rd party but it should still work if you do the price watch on it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip about Camelcamelcamel, never heard of it before but I'll have to check it out.

Besides sending Jake the $20 for the Strategy First Pack (and still not hearing from him in wherever it is he lives), my Steam sale purchases end with Sacred 2: Gold Edition.

[quote name='Motoki']People give him way, way too much power.

He's a guy on the internet with an opinion which is worth about as much the opinion of any guy on the internet with an opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but he is a guy with gameplay videos of indie titles with decent commentary. For example you can watch a gameplay video of a lot of indie games, but when say the mouse controls like Dark Souls you won't know that unless some says something.

I would say his opinion is not why he became so popular, but more so what type of service he provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back