The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DPsycho']My GotY for 2012 is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Now if only they'd bundle the DLC...[/QUOTE]

Other than Virtue's Last Reward, Theatrhythm was both my biggest surprise and favorite game to play on the go (well, not sure if you count Ghost Trick on iOS). I think I sank over 40 hours into it as well, unlocking all the characters and leveling them up in such a way that I could kill bosses 4-5 times in one song in the early-mid levels of Chaos Shrine :)

I just wish that the Chaos Shrine could play ALL songs instead of just the same 12 or so that they recycle. That doesn't make ANY sense to me! Even when I purchased DLC, I'd have to just go to the boring single song modes to play them :( What's the point of the RPG aspect if you can only really utilize it for a small fraction of your total songs?

Overall though, great game and great surprise.

[quote name='Flowette']So here's the question: if I buy at GMG will I or won't I get the items? (If you are really asking whether or not I'm willing to pay the price of a pint to get three pieces of digital clothing then the item is YES)[/QUOTE]
As a general rule, TF2 items are exclusive to Steam pre-orders. It's their incentive to order off their site.

GMG saves you money; Steam gives you hats.

I just realised something. On steamgifts.com I am able to enter gifts that are already in my list of games. But only the ones that I have been activated by keys or bundles, not the ones that I bought directly through the steam store.

Did anyone know that already? Or am I now unraveling something completely obvious? If so, why is this?

I've always found it kind of a bummer that you can't enter on games you already have. Although I can understand the reasons why, sometimes there are games I'd like to win to give to a friend because I know he/she would want it.

[quote name='Syntax Error']As a general rule, TF2 items are exclusive to Steam pre-orders. It's their incentive to order off their site.

GMG saves you money; Steam gives you hats.[/QUOTE]

Well clearly hats are more important than saving money, DUH! :lol:

NOT

Unless you can actually get someone to give you a game for them later which does happen sometimes but it's hard to predict the values in the hat market and you'd probably have to sit on it for a while.

[quote name='Motoki'] you'd probably have to sit on it for a while.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Well, as long as you don''t have to eat it. . . .

[quote name='bill22']Now everyone knows I'm not much of a Chrome guy!

Mysteries solved.

I just emailed you a Amazon steam code for The Walking Dead. Let me know if it arrives ok. It's a great game. I hope you enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

You are the man! Thanks so much!

[quote name='elessar123']He doesn't have time to play games. He has to code![/QUOTE]

There's always time for both. It's like their's always room for Jell-o.

[quote name='jshackles']
There's always time for both. It's like their's always room for Jell-o.[/QUOTE]

So if I understand your analogy correctly, gaming is the sugar water and gelatin of your life. Interesting.

[quote name='Motoki']Well clearly hats are more important than saving money, DUH! :lol:

NOT

Unless you can actually get someone to give you a game for them later which does happen sometimes but it's hard to predict the values in the hat market and you'd probably have to sit on it for a while.
[/QUOTE]

The difference, as I see it, is £2. The game is worth £7.99 so I'm basically paying two quid for a hat premium.

To buy that premium direct from the Hat Store would probably cost me in the region of £6-7. So by buying at full price, from Steam, I'm actually saving money. It's a 50% profit based on Net Asset Value. Bargain!

And you wonder how bankers shafted the economy. :lol:

[quote name='Therapy']I just realised something. On steamgifts.com I am able to enter gifts that are already in my list of games. But only the ones that I have been activated by keys or bundles, not the ones that I bought directly through the steam store.

Did anyone know that already? Or am I now unraveling something completely obvious? If so, why is this?[/quote]Steamgifts syncs your account once a week manually, or you can sync it manually. Any games added since your last sync aren't noticed as being on your account.

I've always found it kind of a bummer that you can't enter on games you already have. Although I can understand the reasons why, sometimes there are games I'd like to win to give to a friend because I know he/she would want it.
Have your friend join? The requirements are still extremely low.

[quote name='Genocidal']Steamgifts syncs your account once a week manually, or you can sync it manually. Any games added since your last sync aren't noticed as being on your account.

Have your friend join? The requirements are still extremely low.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying! Yeah of course my friends could join themselves :p but that's kinda beside my point :D there's alot out there I don't want/need myself but someone else might like. But meh, it would severely limit everyone's chances anyways since every game will have yet even more entries.

[quote name='Flowette']The difference, as I see it, is £2. The game is worth £7.99 so I'm basically paying two quid for a hat premium.

To buy that premium direct from the Hat Store would probably cost me in the region of £6-7. So by buying at full price, from Steam, I'm actually saving money. It's a 50% profit based on Net Asset Value. Bargain!

And you wonder how bankers shafted the economy. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Just get prepared for a bunch of random Russians to IM you bugging you to trade your hat. I'm serious.

When I had the Tropico 4 pre-order hat I used to always get Russians out of the blue asking to trade for it until one day I caved and traded it for From Dust.

Now they leave me alone, but if I get another in demand hat again? Russians.

[quote name='Detruire']Private inventory. ;)[/QUOTE]

True, but you need a public profile for signatures and Steamgifts to sync and what not.

But if I get another hot hat again I'll probably go private.

Man, I never get Russians wanting to give me games for hats.

The one little minx who used to hit me up for Trine 2 will have to live with disappointment since I traded it to a friend for Unstoppable Gorg. He got the better end of that trade by any measure but, after Trine 2 sat for a year in my inventory, I figured I'd do him the Yuletide solid.

[quote name='Therapy']Thanks for clarifying! Yeah of course my friends could join themselves :p but that's kinda beside my point :D there's alot out there I don't want/need myself but someone else might like. But meh, it would severely limit everyone's chances anyways since every game will have yet even more entries.[/QUOTE]

Steamgifts requires you to activate it yourself. Giving away keys would be a good way to get yourself banned.

Sorry for being a SteamGifts noob but does a gift have to be an item in your inventory?

I've got a giveaway ending tonight, thankfully it's for a private CAG group, but it's for a game that I got from GamersGate during the Xmas sale so I only have the key.

Are keys non-allowable for giveaway purposes? :shock:

[quote name='Motoki']True, but you need a public profile for signatures and Steamgifts to sync and what not.

But if I get another hot hat again I'll probably go private.[/QUOTE]
The inventory has separate privacy settings.

[quote name='Flowette']Sorry for being a SteamGifts noob but does a gift have to be an item in your inventory?

I've got a giveaway ending tonight, thankfully it's for a private CAG group, but it's for a game that I got from GamersGate during the Xmas sale so I only have the key.

Are keys non-allowable for giveaway purposes? :shock:[/QUOTE]
Keys are fine so long as they redeem on Steam and aren't exploited.

[quote name='Flowette']Sorry for being a SteamGifts noob but does a gift have to be an item in your inventory?

Are keys non-allowable for giveaway purposes? :shock:[/QUOTE]

you can give away keys on steamgifts.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Man, I never get Russians wanting to give me games for hats.

The one little minx who used to hit me up for Trine 2 will have to live with disappointment since I traded it to a friend for Unstoppable Gorg. He got the better end of that trade by any measure but, after Trine 2 sat for a year in my inventory, I figured I'd do him the Yuletide solid.[/QUOTE]

I had a Croatian who wanted to trade a pair of socks for Magicka once. Or maybe that was just a weird dream I had.

[quote name='Detruire']The inventory has separate privacy settings.

Keys are fine so long as they redeem on Steam and aren't exploited.[/QUOTE]

Oh duh, how did I not know this?

And yeah, keys should be fine on SG. Just give away what you say you are going to give away in a reasonable time frame and you should be good.

With the inventory thing, I know some people like to look at the inventory of people doing a giveaway (if it's giftable) but that's mainly if there's something like Far Cry 3 and people are suspicious that it's a trick.

I don't think anyone will be running to someone's inventory to make sure they really have Coconut Queen. :p

[quote name='warreni']I had a Croatian who wanted to trade a pair of socks for Magicka once. [/QUOTE]
I would have been all over that deal. Toss in some underwear and I'll provide the DLC.

Re: Steam Gifts, I always lead off with "This gift will be in the form of a Steam key e-mailed to you. Please be sure your e-mail is correct".

That way, it heads off any "Is it in his inventory?" queries right from the start as well as putting the onus of a correct e-mail on them immediately. Don't sweat if you didn't say it, just a tip for next time.

[quote name='oman19']Anyone play Solar 2 yet. Looks interesting but with my backlog I should wait. Bundle material?[/QUOTE]

My first thought when I saw it

Pretty happy that the Indie Gala has Deponia in it

[quote name='Blade']Wow, it's on GamersGate right now! Hurry up everybody![/QUOTE]
nice ;)

[quote name='sunasun']Bioshock Infinite X 34
$6.66[/QUOTE]
so glad my pm box wasn't blown up
[quote name='soulkyo']where is that? It shows 59.95$ for me.[/QUOTE]
you have to log in via russian proxy
there's nothing on sale that I don't have, I'm bored. :bouncy:
[quote name='Blade']It's not on sale. Sorry, we're just horrible people. :lol:[/QUOTE]
yep, i'm an asshole :D

[quote name='MC Kage']My first thought when I saw it

Pretty happy that the Indie Gala has Deponia in it[/QUOTE]
Solar 2 is a fun mindless game where you get to be a black hole. I loved it.
Also played Stacking finally. Wow, you get to fart on people, vomit on people, belch on people what more can you want. lol
just as fucked up as Psychonauts was. I loved both of these.

[quote name='oman19']Anyone play Solar 2 yet. Looks interesting but with my backlog I should wait. Bundle material?[/QUOTE]
It's kinda like Osmos meets Universe Sandbox. Ive already sank about four hours into it. The demo is only about 45mb. You should check it out.
[quote name='derkduck']How often does street fighter AE go on sale? I missed the Christmas sale for it and really want to get it soon.[/QUOTE]
It was also on sale during the Autumn Sale.

[quote name='Motoki']Let's see, two Indie games at 50% off 'deals' today and one of them (River Retro City Rampage) is even $15 retail.

Right.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there... :whistle2:k. But its (River City Ransom)! :D.

Disgusting? Jesus some of you people are fucking whiny. It's the weekend after an event sale. When have these ever been any good? Only time there's been a notable deal after one was Jade Empire in the summer which, predictably, was also majorly whined about.

[quote name='Corpekata']Disgusting? Jesus some of you people are fucking whiny. It's the weekend after an event sale. When have these ever been any good? Only time there's been a notable deal after one was Jade Empire in the summer which, predictably, was also majorly whined about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah whining on the internet. Who knew?

I know! I'll whine about the whining! Oh wait, you already did that.

[quote name='Motoki']Well clearly hats are more important than saving money, DUH! :lol:

NOT

[/QUOTE]

In my experience if you sit on a hat, its value goes way down (except baseball and floppy hats).

[quote name='Corpekata']Disgusting? Jesus some of you people are fucking whiny. It's the weekend after an event sale. When have these ever been any good? Only time there's been a notable deal after one was Jade Empire in the summer which, predictably, was also majorly whined about.[/QUOTE]

We're in withdrawal. The only way to stop the delirium tremens is a good sale.

[quote name='poxi']Third time in a row the same indie game is only 50% off. That's disgusting.[/QUOTE]

FTL is great and worth every penny. I wouldn't expect it to drop much more than that any time soon either. It was a kick starter and the dev has been very clear he doesn't want to lower prices much lower and risk pissing off his fan base. I'm looking at you botanicula.

[quote name='pROvIs']FTL is great and worth every penny. I wouldn't expect it to drop much more than that any time soon either. It was a kick starter and the dev has been very clear he doesn't want to lower prices much lower and risk pissing off his fan base. I'm looking at you botanicula.[/QUOTE]

What are some older games that are like FTL? Maybe something in a bundle before? I hear so much praise for it, but I look at it and just doesn't look like something I would enjoy so I'd rather give something I already own a spin to see if I would like that style of gameplay.

[quote name='Motoki']Yeah whining on the internet. Who knew?

I know! I'll whine about the whining! Oh wait, you already did that.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

But honestly, I know I'm not the only one who needs to work through a backlog that was only made longer in the past month. You can never appreciate a good deal if you never get around to playing the game. ;)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']What are some older games that are like FTL? Maybe something in a bundle before? I hear so much praise for it, but I look at it and just doesn't look like something I would enjoy so I'd rather give something I already own a spin to see if I would like that style of gameplay.[/QUOTE]
It's a roguelikelike space sim, I'm not sure if you CAN find anything to judge it against.

The best port of call is YouTube to look at some "Let's Play" videos as they'll give a good idea of what FTL is about.

For me? Highly recommended. Some will hate it though.

[quote name='Blade']:lol:

But honestly, I know I'm not the only one who needs to work through a backlog that was only made longer in the past month. You can never appreciate a good deal if you never get around to playing the game. ;)[/QUOTE]
I've actually been doing this. Sadly classes just started again for me this week and it's making it more difficult.

[quote name='Blade']:lol:

But honestly, I know I'm not the only one who needs to work through a backlog that was only made longer in the past month. You can never appreciate a good deal if you never get around to playing the game. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm at the point where my mind becomes fragmented when I try to decide on what to play. I'm thinking I might try to play I Am Alive, but then there's Dead Rising 2: OTR that I've already sunk four hours into. That's not to mention the hulking beast that has become Civ 5. I still haven't won a match, and I shaq-fu-like-you-wouldn't-believe hate not winning.

My backlog is just so big, I don't know where to start.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']What are some older games that are like FTL? Maybe something in a bundle before? I hear so much praise for it, but I look at it and just doesn't look like something I would enjoy so I'd rather give something I already own a spin to see if I would like that style of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

This is the game I've played most similar to FTL: http://www.desura.com/games/weird-worlds-return-to-infinite-space

It was in an Indie Royale.

[quote name='Blade']You can never appreciate a good deal if you never get around to playing the game. ;)[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that we're doing wrong? The winter sales reinforced the fact that if you're busy playing your games you might miss out on a great price cut.

[quote name='Broken Cage']
I'm at the point where my mind becomes fragmented when I try to decide on what to play. I'm thinking I might try to play I Am Alive, but then there's Dead Rising 2: OTR that I've already sunk four hours into. That's not to mention the hulking beast that has become Civ 5. I still haven't won a match, and I shaq-fu-like-you-wouldn't-believe hate not winning.
My backlog is just so big, I don't know where to start.[/QUOTE]

They are games; play whatever you enjoy most at the moment.

I'd watch some YouTube videos on it. It is the type of game that absorbs your life in a one more turn type of way. Graphics are simple but gameplay is great. It's on many game of the year lists.

I will try and describe it but it's hard to do it justice. Basically it's a space exploration rougelike. You are a good citizen and need to inform the military fleet that you rebels are coming. You hop planet system to planet system trying to evade the rebel fleet and other dangers. You will lose the game many times before beating it.

What makes it great is the journey getting there. You will encounter various random events and have to choose how to act. You find a pirate attacking a civilian ship, do you help, leave, offer to split the profits with the pirate, etc. you encounter a colony with a distress signal, they have had a plague do you help or flee. The risk and rewards are great. Helping may net you an extra crew member or a new weapon but it may also give your entire crew the plague and kill them. There are lots of interesting scenarios.

I normally don't like rouge likes because I like a sense of progression and hate starting over. This game feels ok to me because you can unlock new ships and upgrades as you make certain choices in the game that can carry over to the next game.

Also combat is intense, strategic, and fun.

On the backlog topic, I'm trying out playing one game from each letter in order. I wonder how long I'll stick to that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back