The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spoderman']Motoki wasn't banned for his posts, he was banned for an offensive PM. I'm not going to post it here though. So no, he wasn't banned for "thinking this thread should be enjoyable".[/QUOTE]

If you're going to go around forwarding the PM to everyone, you might as well just announce that you reported him.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']I SOOOOO want this game to be good. But I'm also SOOOOO apprehensive about anything that involves per-ordering it. I've been disappointed too many times by Alien games and my heart can't take another high dollar let down. I really hope it reviews well and that I'll be able to pick it (and Bioshock Infinite) up at a decent price during the summer sale.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost willing to take a gamble on the STEAM pre-order since it's Gearbox and pre-ordering is something I rarely do.

[quote name='Broken Cage']If you're going to go around forwarding the PM to everyone, you might as well just announce that you reported him.[/QUOTE]

I reported the PM, yes. I thought that much was obvious. I didn't report any of his posts though. I only report things that I think are truly offensive (and obviously the mod thought so too). But anyway, I'm done talking about it, I just didn't want anyone to think he got banned for his posts. Also, I never said I forwarded the PM to everyone.

I've got no problem with off-topic posts (in fact, I almost prefer them...), but the spoiler stuff has really been getting out of hand. Here, not so much, but it was going crazy on the Amazon thread. I haven't played ME3, and I'm really looking forward to it, so I don't want endgame discussions about it on this thread. Even if the discussion properly uses spoiler tags, it's only a matter of time before someone chimes in and forgets to do that... perhaps a new member. I've already gotten a number of plot points utterly ruined for me in Bioshock 1/2 because of posts on this thread or the Amazon thread (I forget which it was).

The mods are usually crazy lenient here, but they really cracked down on this already in the Amazon thread, so it's not a completely new concept here. There's a difference between talking about games and talking about endgame spoilers.

[quote name='spoderman']I reported the PM, yes. I thought that much was obvious. I didn't report any of his posts though. I only report things that I think are truly offensive (and obviously the mod thought so too). But anyway, I'm done talking about it, I just didn't want anyone to think he got banned for his posts. Also, I never said I forwarded the PM to everyone.[/QUOTE]
so what did he say in case I decide I wanna post something, I don't want you to be all butt hurt if its not something you completely agree with.

I think it's best for everyone if we stop talking/joking about Motoki's ban. It happened, it's over with. I'm sure the involved parties (and the mods) would rather it be private.

I still doubt it's a permaban anyways.

[quote name='Idiotekque']There's a difference between talking about games and talking about endgame spoilers.[/QUOTE]

This is what has me frustrated. We didn't talk about end game spoilers. All that was mentioned of the ending was whether or not it made someone hate the game. There were no spoilers.

[quote name='Broken Cage']This is what has me frustrated. We didn't talk about end game spoilers. All that was mentioned of the ending was whether or not it made someone hate the game. There were no spoilers.[/QUOTE]
The very first post was a comic about how the ending affected someone. I didn't look at it closely, I don't want to. The internet is rife with "OMG ME3 ENDING" and spoilers bubble forth so easily that it's ridiculous. I have no idea how I've gone this long without getting it spoiled for me.

Yes, the first handful of posts weren't directly talking about exactly what happened in the end of ME3, but it could have been/was going to be spoilers soon if it didn't get modded. It's natural for people to discuss something and expound on the subject. Trakan just stopped it before it could go there... and it had nothing to do with Motoki's ban.

[quote name='Broken Cage']This is what has me frustrated. We didn't talk about end game spoilers. All that was mentioned of the ending was whether or not it made someone hate the game. There were no spoilers.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Idiotekque']The very first post was a comic about how the ending affected someone. I didn't look at it closely, I don't want to. The internet is rife with "OMG ME3 ENDING" and spoilers bubble forth so easily that it's ridiculous. I have no idea how I've gone this long without getting it spoiled for me.

Yes, the first handful of posts weren't directly talking about exactly what happened in the end of ME3, but it could have been/was going to be spoilers soon if it didn't get modded. It's natural for people to discuss something and expound on the subject. Trakan just stopped it before it could go there... and it had nothing to do with Motoki's ban.[/QUOTE]

This. And I personally thought the "no spoilers" complaining in the Amazon thread was premature too. But it was explained to me in no uncertain terms by the same mod that they cut it off when they did because of where the conversation was headed, not where it was.

And again, I don't think anyone has anything against OT talk in this thread, but if someone just asks "hey guys, can you please stop the game talk" then I would think we are enough of a community to just say fine and move on instead of making it such a big thing.

[quote name='sunasun']so what did he say in case I decide I wanna post something, I don't want you to be all butt hurt if its not something you completely agree with.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think a mod would ban over something dumb that I don't agree with? If you check my post history, I've very rarely gotten upset over anything I don't agree with on this forum. Hell, I don't usually report posts to begin with, and this is the first PM I've reported since I've joined CAG (back in 2005).

I don't want to say anything bad about Motoki, but if you check his post history, many of his posts are overreacting after someone disagrees with him. I'll just say this: his PM isn't something you can "disagree" with. It's just offensive and had absolutely nothing to do with any kind of discussion in this thread. Anyway, I'm seriously done talking about this now. If you want to talk to me about it PM me, but I don't want to clutter this thread.

If you read Trakan's post, he didn't necessarily say it had to do with people posting spoilers. If you saw the Amazon PCDD thread, you'd know what I mean. The minute people talk about the ME3 ending, it encourages many pages after it, and several of them would be spoiler posts. Talking about if you liked a game or not is fine, getting into discussion about an ending can deter people from wanting to view a deal thread, in fear of getting spoiled eventually. Just curious, did you see the Amazon PCDD thread when there were like 10 pages dedicated to ME3 ending discussion?

Your last six posts are complaints about a conversation that a number of members don't want in -this- thread and that got mod-deleted.

[quote name='Idiotekque']and it had nothing to do with Motoki's ban.[/QUOTE]

I know, he told me why.

I do understand being concerned with spoilers. I haven't finished Spec Ops, and I hear that ending is crazy good, but I was able to just skip over the discussions Asheskitty and others were having about it. I didn't feel that they were wrong to have it.

Regardless, it's really a moot point. I just want it to be clear there were no actual spoilers in the conversation. (I've already been called a dick for that one before, and I honestly considered putting spoiler tags on what little I did say about the game. I just figured it was common information since it's in the advertisements for the game. Surely EA wouldn't spoil their own title.)

You guys think Steam will ever sell a Sonic bundle for like $5.00? I suddenly want to own all the Sonic titles. I have all of the classic packs, but all I ever play is Kid Chameleon.

[quote name='spoderman']Just curious, did you see the Amazon PCDD thread when there were like 10 pages dedicated to ME3 ending discussion?[/QUOTE]
And there were probably even more pages about TWD... lol.

[quote name='asheskitty']Your last six posts are complaints about a conversation that a number of members don't want in -this- thread and that got mod-deleted.[/QUOTE]

And they're all posts in reply to someone else commenting first, aren't they? I didn't bring up Motoki getting banned. I responded to it. I didn't bring up whether or not the conversation contained spoilers, I responded to it.

I don't know what your problem with me is, but you're not going to get the better of me, so just back off.

[quote name='spoderman']Just curious, did you see the Amazon PCDD thread when there were like 10 pages dedicated to ME3 ending discussion?[/QUOTE]

No, I generally only check the front page of the Amazon thread, and I do understand. I'm simply stating that we, the six of us in the conversation, did not post spoilers and were not dicks about it.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
It's natural for people to discuss something and expound on the subject. Trakan just stopped it before it could go there... and it had nothing to do with Motoki's ban.[/QUOTE]

Sure it did. It's very frustrating to try to have a useful discussion (in this case on ratings, disparity of ratings, and how to use those ratings when deciding on which games to buy) washed away because someone decides they don't want that discussion and mod goes nuts with deletions. Tossing insults after such may not be polite, and may not be useful, but it can be awfully tempting.

[quote name='dfg']Obviously what this board needs is a spoiler thread. And a drama thread.[/QUOTE]

Drama thread, maybe. You could never know which games would be spoiled in the Spoiler thread. It would be like running a gauntlet.

Can I take a minute out of this thread to address some issues? It's with the hope of improving this thread, so please forgive me. I'll even spoiler it so it takes less space. Please do not respond to this in this thread. PM me or take it to the BGCQ

Over the last couple months, this thread has gotten a bit weird. Lately, there has been a lot of negativity, back-biting, and general hostility going around. That's not us. Think about where we were during the summer sale. That was AWESOME, and it led to the formation of BGCQ. Now, people who were friends have been bitching at each other and squabbling over what can be discussed or what can be complained about.

I say let's push the reset button and turn the temperature down. Let's go back to getting along and not getting upset over little shit. Let's remember that we've got a community of people who are here for the same purpose. Can we try to let the little shit go and not jump on each other's backs when we don't like something someone else says?

As to the off-topic concerns, I've already suggested we move it to the BGCQ discussion area. We can easily leave this thread for sale notices and game recommendations. Yeah, a lot of the OT stuff starts from game discussions, but we can adjust the way we work. I think we can all see that pages of non-deal discussion is very unfriendly for newcomers. So let's try using the group we put together to do what we enjoy to do - talk to each other - and leave this thread for it's purpose.

If you're cool with this, don't respond here and clutter the thread. Let's take it to the BGCQ.

I was totally serious about the Sonic Bundle question. Has Steam ever done a bundle on the Sonic titles? I thought I had bought a bundle from Amazon, but it only has Sonic 3D Blast in it.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I was totally serious about the Sonic Bundle question. Has Steam ever done a bundle on the Sonic titles? I thought I had bought a bundle from Amazon, but it only has Sonic 3D Blast in it.[/QUOTE]

Amazon had a Sonic bundle with mostly Steam keys for around $25 I think. It was all Sonic everything.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I was totally serious about the Sonic Bundle question. Has Steam ever done a bundle on the Sonic titles? I thought I had bought a bundle from Amazon, but it only has Sonic 3D Blast in it.[/QUOTE]

Which Sonic titles? Are you talking about the Genesis ones, or a complete Sonic bundle (with new Sonic games too)? Steam had one during the winter sale, but the price kinda sucked.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Amazon had a Sonic bundle with mostly Steam keys for around $25 I think. It was all Sonic everything.[/QUOTE]

lol forgot about that one, yeah, Amazon had a better bundle.

Pretty sure they had one during winter. Granted I was mainly fallowing Amazon, they made Steam look quite small in the sale pants.

Maybe it was just games not in a bundle that were generally sonic related -shrug-

[quote name='Broken Cage']Drama thread, maybe. You could never know which games would be spoiled in the Spoiler thread. It would be like running a gauntlet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's rough.

I've avoided anything resembling a spoiler on ME3--heck, the entire series is in my backlog--and even from seeing a headline or two and a response or two I've got a pretty good idea on the ending. Same with Spec Ops. Just saying that the story is different, or that you see things on a second play through, might be too much information.

But when discussing deals you really can't avoid discussing the games. My option isn't forcing everyone to say nothing about any game ever. It's to avoid threads where discussion might happen entirely--and I don't really want to do that.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Amazon had a Sonic bundle with mostly Steam keys for around $25 I think. It was all Sonic everything.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that's probably why I didn't buy it. $25.00 seems steep for Sonic 1-CD, and it's my understanding that the latter games are all terrible.

Guess I'll hold out hope for a Sonic Classics Collection or something.

come_at_me_bro_Spider_Man_Meme-s480x390-196085.jpg

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']
Can I take a minute out of this thread to address some issues? It's with the hope of improving this thread, so please forgive me. I'll even spoiler it so it takes less space. Please do not respond to this in this thread. PM me or take it to the BGCQ

Over the last couple months, this thread has gotten a bit weird. Lately, there has been a lot of negativity, back-biting, and general hostility going around. That's not us. Think about where we were during the summer sale. That was AWESOME, and it led to the formation of BGCQ. Now, people who were friends have been bitching at each other and squabbling over what can be discussed or what can be complained about.

I say let's push the reset button and turn the temperature down. Let's go back to getting along and not getting upset over little shit. Let's remember that we've got a community of people who are here for the same purpose. Can we try to let the little shit go and not jump on each other's backs when we don't like something someone else says?

As to the off-topic concerns, I've already suggested we move it to the BGCQ discussion area. We can easily leave this thread for sale notices and game recommendations. Yeah, a lot of the OT stuff starts from game discussions, but we can adjust the way we work. I think we can all see that pages of non-deal discussion is very unfriendly for newcomers. So let's try using the group we put together to do what we enjoy to do - talk to each other - and leave this thread for it's purpose.

If you're cool with this, don't respond here and clutter the thread. Let's take it to the BGCQ.
[/QUOTE]
The Summer Sale wasn't pleasant for everyone, lol...

[quote name='Broken Cage']Drama thread, maybe. You could never know which games would be spoiled in the Spoiler thread. It would be like running a gauntlet.[/QUOTE]

My opinion is that being afeared of spoilers is rather immature, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. 99% of the time, twist endings and such are a crutch to good storytelling.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Hmm, that's probably why I didn't buy it. $25.00 seems steep for Sonic 1-CD, and it's my understanding that the latter games are all terrible.

Guess I'll hold out hope for a Sonic Classics Collection or something.[/QUOTE]

A couple people have asked Tony if Amazon had any plans for a Sonic Classics Collection, and I'm pretty sure Tony said they'd look into it or something, so there's a definite possibility it could happen.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']...or take it to the BGCQ[/QUOTE]

Forgive my newness, but what is BGCQ?
Or is it some inside joke/whatnot and I'm just making an ass of myself? :lol:

[quote name='dfg']My opinion is that being afeared of spoilers is rather immature, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. 99% of the time, twist endings and such are a crutch to good storytelling.[/QUOTE]

I agree, personally, but we can't expect everyone else to come to our way of thinking. Hive Minds are bad, mmmkay?

It's sleep time. Hopefully all of this drama will have died down in the morning.

I still want to be your friend, Asheskitty, please stop hating me.

[quote name='dfg']My opinion is that being afeared of spoilers is rather immature, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. 99% of the time, twist endings and such are a crutch to good storytelling.[/QUOTE]
And now we're calling people who don't want to hear spoilers immature. Oh Steam Deal Thread... :roll:

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Forgive my newness, but what is BGCQ?
Or is it some inside joke/whatnot and I'm just making an ass of myself? :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Brawny Gents and Coconut Queens.

It's a steam group that started during the Summer sale as a place for people with a shared unironic love of the game Coconut Queen. Now it's become the group for Steam thread regulars.

PM Spoony for an invite.

{SERIOUS question}

Forgive me for asking a silly question, since I pretty much live on the Game Deal Boards here and I am kind of lazy to actually look around here...

...but where are the Game Forums/Threads where Spoilers are allowed?

[quote name='MysterD']{SERIOUS question}

Forgive me for asking a silly question, since I pretty much live on the Game Deal Boards here and I am kind of lazy to actually look around here...

...but where are the Game Forums/Threads where Spoilers are allowed?[/QUOTE]

Really depends on which game thread you're looking for. It seems like they're split across the console boards. The 360 thread for ME3 is right here, and it's very active:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281274

I know it's not a PC thread, but honestly.. who cares. It's the same game regardless lol. You can always make a thread for the PC version, but I'll admit the PC sub-forum isn't active compared to the other sub-forums.

As for spoilers being allowed, I would assume each game thread allows spoilers as long as you use the proper tags. Not sure if there are any threads devoted to spoilers.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Brawny Gents and Coconut Queens.

It's a steam group that started during the Summer sale as a place for people with a shared unironic love of the game Coconut Queen. Now it's become the group for Steam thread regulars.

PM Spoony for an invite.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks. I actually picked that up over Christmas due to all the references. I feel like I should actually get some playtime in to be worthy of such an invite. I'll get on that tomorrow.

[quote name='MysterD']{SERIOUS question}

...but where are the Game Forums/Threads where Spoilers are allowed?[/QUOTE]

As long as you use spoiler tags you can post them in most game discussion sub forums (console or PC).

Usually the big releases get more console discussion if they are cross platform.

[quote name='Idiotekque']And now we're calling people who don't want to hear spoilers immature. Oh Steam Deal Thread... :roll:[/QUOTE]

That's not exactly what I said, but I'm not helping us get back on track. We can discuss it elsewhere if you'd like.

I'll second the hesitation about pre-ordering Aliens: CM. That item isn't nearly enough to entice me, especially compared to what Gearbox gave away with the BL2 stuff, which is a franchise that didn't really need to get people excited enough to pre-order, I wouldn't think.

[quote name='Broken Cage']
You guys think Steam will ever sell a Sonic bundle for like $5.00? I suddenly want to own all the Sonic titles. I have all of the classic packs, but all I ever play is Kid Chameleon.[/QUOTE]

For $5 - impossible :) But for $30 - in the realms of possibility...

And as for Aliens:CM (We're all accepting this abbreviation right?) I'm going to hold out and see how the reviews go before getting the game. We've been burned by too many Alien games to buy it on release! (Well, just one actually LOL but it made a dent)

[quote name='mjontrix']And as for Aliens:CM (We're all accepting this abbreviation right?)[/QUOTE]

Needs more "TW" in its abbreviation. I propose TWAlienstW2:CMII. This way, no one will confuse it for Dwarfs!?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']There's plenty of things people could talk about if they really wanted to. I believe the only specific thing anyone asked not to discuss was the ME3 ending thing.

For example, anyone play the Primal Fears beta? Anyone planning on picking it up?

It has co-op and the 4 pack is at a pretty reasonable price (22.49).

I was giving Gamersgate some time to see if they were going to carry it, but they might not so Steam might be the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Saw a first 40 minutes video of the gameplay (well, first 25 minutes) and the reviewer said the combat was too dull and repetitive that he couldn't stand playing for more than 25 minutes. Basically all you do is kite zombie/undead thingys while shooting at them until they die. They introduce different baddies, but you defeat them all in the same way, so the only difference between them is cosmetic (and how much bullets they can take). I was interested in it, along with several other top-down survival shooter types, but this video review made me think otherwise.

Video after the spoiler.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I was totally serious about the Sonic Bundle question. Has Steam ever done a bundle on the Sonic titles?[/QUOTE]

I'm too deep into the Sonic collection for a bundle to appeal, personally. SEGA doesn't seem to like to put them on sale individually much more than 50% off of late.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Hmm, that's probably why I didn't buy it. $25.00 seems steep for Sonic 1-CD, and it's my understanding that the latter games are all terrible.

Guess I'll hold out hope for a Sonic Classics Collection or something.[/QUOTE]

There are not many I'd call terrible, but I'm a pretty big fan of the game. Some definitely belong more to the "collector" of the series than they do to a broad appeal. Those with more casual interests could probably stop with 1-3+Knuckles, CD, and Generations.

[quote name='dfg']That's not exactly what I said, but I'm not helping us get back on track. We can discuss it elsewhere if you'd like.

I'll second the hesitation about pre-ordering Aliens: CM. That item isn't nearly enough to entice me, especially compared to what Gearbox gave away with the BL2 stuff, which is a franchise that didn't really need to get people excited enough to pre-order, I wouldn't think.[/QUOTE]

Different publishers though... 2K did BL2 and SEGA has A:CM. It's like night and day.

[quote name='hal']Different publishers though... 2K did BL2 and SEGA has A:CM. It's like night and day.[/QUOTE]

Oops, yeah, a publisher would have more to do with the swag, wouldn't it?

re: Primal Fears - Just looking at the store page, I guessed that it was the same dev or pub as Dead Horde, which people on my list took the time to pan—aside from the Metacritic score (45). Smells like bundle fodder.

[quote name='Tsel']Motoki was banned? He was one of my favorite members. Damn...[/QUOTE]

Motoki was actually banned? This some sick joke? :whistle2:s :bs: Outspoken dude but you gotta respect the honesty, one of the most helpful too pretty much the voice of the thread. don't understand

edit: well I guess I've missed alot.

Yeah, the topic got onto metacritic and then specific very hot topic video games user ratings and things went downhill, apparently. All I know is when I came back later, the thread had been nuked of all discussion relating thusly, and probably for good reason because those topics tend to be emotionally charged, go on forever, and inevitably contain spoilers.

Best to keep things related to steam sales, prices, and game recommendations, it would seem.

I missed that entire conversation, too. Motoki was one of the best and most helpful members here. I kinda feel bad since I asked him to come back after his first leave, and he did, and he devoted much of his time to helping us out. :(

We'll have to carry on his legacy of posting deals and incessantly hounding developers who don't deliver. ;)

@hal

Sonic CD was $1.24 (steam key) on Amazon in November (other sonic stuff too, but that's the one I bought). You're not slighting sonic spinball, are you? ^_~

[quote name='Blade']I missed that entire conversation, too. Motoki was one of the best and most helpful members here.[/QUOTE]

TBH I tend to disagree. To me he was an overreactive person that tended to make a big drama out of everything he did not agree with. Sure, he gave away quite a lot of games which probably got him on a lot of people's good side, and not every post he made was like that. But that's how I feel about him.

Not that I'm overly glad to see him banned though. I'm not like that, even though we didn't really get along. But if he got banned, he probably deserved it for whatever he did that got him banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back