The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I want Of Orcs and Men bad but I really want to play it on a console. I wanted it on Xbox 360 but I read on the Official forum that the dev team said there would be no retail release of it in the US, just digital.

Thinking of importing it from the UK on PS3 since that will be region free. I've ordered from Zavvi several times but never from Amazon UK. Does anyone know if it works the same and do they charge insane prices for shipping? Live in TX btw...

[quote name='Kaltic']That is great. My family had this back in its giant box form, but I have no idea what happened to it.[/QUOTE]

LMAO Giant Box Form....never heard that term but soooooo true. Why the hell were PC games always in those big ass boxes? lol

[quote name='oman19']LMAO Giant Box Form....never heard that term but soooooo true. Why the hell were PC games always in those big ass boxes? lol[/QUOTE]

Marketing. Course, there are those who think the downfall of PC gaming came around the time they put PC games in smaller boxes, there for "consolizing" them. (Never mind that consoles had been in small boxes for a very long time before that happened.)

Actually, Baldurs Gate needed the longer box, since they didn't put the 6(?) CDs in a jewel case, but in a paper longbox of sorts. I still have the CDs someplace.

Glad to see the new Greenlight games. Makes me happy that the Greenlight bundle that was going on a week or two ago is starting to payoff now. I bought it and all the games for $5.xx figuring a few of them should get on Steam :D

Hmm, that list is missing Fallout (which was on DOS) but has other games from '97.

I hated big boxes. I really missed the old flat folders that games like Wasteland and Deathlord sold in. Those disappeared with the '80s. Boxes got bit, then silly big -- total pain. I wound up having to flatten those. i like CD or DVD casing as a compromise, however DVD cases are 20/foot and do add up. Most of my stuff (games/music/movies) wound up in a 200-CD binders by '97.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, that list is missing Fallout (which was on DOS) but has other games from '97.

I hated big boxes. I really missed the old flat folders that games like Wasteland and Deathlord sold in. Those disappeared with the '80s. Boxes got bit, then silly big -- total pain. I wound up having to flatten those. i like CD or DVD casing as a compromise, however DVD cases are 20/foot and do add up. Most of my stuff (games/music/movies) wound up in a 200-CD binders by '97.[/QUOTE]

How did you like the fat DVD cases? The cases could hold up to 6 discs, but rarely had more than one and unlike cardboard boxes they could not be folded. I hated those all the games that used them except for BFME Anthology which actually did come with 5 discs.

EDIT: Looking at the list of DOS games it is just a whole bunch of "Never played that one.... and that one... and that one.... I DID PLAY THAT ONE". I have only played a fraction of those games.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded was greenlit. I don't like the version of Larry from those Magna Cum Laude games, but if you want it on Steam, that is what you get.[/QUOTE]

What you get is a remake of the original "In the Land of the Loungue Lizards" overseen by Al Lowe/John Mandel and featuring Larry's "real" voice, so it's actually nothing like those post-Sierra abominations.

Echoing other's comments, that Greenlight Bundle payed off pretty well.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Awesome. Unepic and DLC Quest were in Indie Royale and Groupees' Build A Greenlight had La Mulana. Yay for retroactive Steam keys!

Also glad I don't have to see MaK and Akaneiro in my queue every time. I mean they look good but they came up every single freakin' time.[/QUOTE]

You think we'll get steam keys for Akaneiro too? Isn't that the one they've been emailing about too from groupees?

re: Big Boxes
I miss them for their novelty and for the fact a big box encouraged insane stuff like the super collector's edition of Rainbow Six with equally giant manuals and fold out keyboard layout control diagram. I actually miss those keyboard things the most, made it easier to play for me since I get overwhelmed if a game uses more than two buttons.

grabbed tiny and big from GMG then immediately regretted it after watching some youtube footage

i'm currently feeling that $2 buyers remorse i feel after getting a bottom of the pot cup of coffee from dunkin donuts

[quote name='louiedog']If you bought the Indie Royale Summer bundle you should now have a Steam key for The Journey Down.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! Grabbed mine. :applause:

I'd buy Rocksmith but I don't have a guitar. Help? I'd like to learn. That and continue working on my keyboard with something a bit more portable. I wish there was a beginning guitar that was like a set of Grado's for the heaphone world. Best bang for the buck. Keyboard too. If anyone has any ideas, please PM me.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Rocksmith daily at half off. Not bad I think for people who like it, but i heard the cable is very expensive by itself?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is Rocksmith at 50% off ($14.99)

Lowest Price: $14.99 USD at Steam (1 week ago)

Notice: The Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable is not included with the purchase of Rocksmith™ on Steam and must be purchased separately. Please see your local retailer or many online stores to purchase the Rocksmith™ Real Tone Cable.[/QUOTE]

Lowest price I've seen was $20 on Buy.com, I just purchased mine a few days ago but the price is still the same.

http://www.buy.com/prod/ubisoft-rocksmith-real-tone-cable-xbox-360-playstation-3-pc/224473828.html

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']I'd buy Rocksmith but I don't have a guitar. Help? I'd like to learn. That and continue working on my keyboard with something a bit more portable. I wish there was a beginning guitar that was like a set of Grado's for the heaphone world. Best bang for the buck. Keyboard too. If anyone has any ideas, please PM me.[/QUOTE]

Try asking on the Rocksmith thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307542

Lot's of knowledgeable people there can recommend a starter.

I picked up this one last year since Deans where solid entry guitars and they had a 20% off code.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XMT-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-105614051-i1452652.gc

[quote name='Kaltic']That is great. My family had this back in its giant box form, but I have no idea what happened to it.[/QUOTE]

I still have that up in my old closest at my mom's place. :)

Some other games next to it are:

Diablo II CE
Dark Forces I and II
Command and Conquer 1 and 2
Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
Halflife/ Opposing Force/ Blue Shift / Counterstrike
Quake III Arena (tin box)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (tin box)
CIV II and III
Alpha Centuri
Dungeon Keeper
Crusader No Remorse
Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2
Lucasarts Adventure Pack 1
Interplay Collection
Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, and III
Elder Scrolls Area and Daggerfall
System Shock 2
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout 1 and 2
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Unreal Tournament
Warcraft 2

Memories:

http://savenload.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/brieft-history-of-pc-gaming.jpg

[quote name='TheLongshot']Marketing. Course, there are those who think the downfall of PC gaming came around the time they put PC games in smaller boxes, there for "consolizing" them. (Never mind that consoles had been in small boxes for a very long time before that happened.)

[/QUOTE]

I miss the jewel cases myself. I was not a big fan of the dvd sized boxes, Max Payne and some other games came packaged inside. The smaller were only disappointing because they couldn't contain as much extra stuff anymore.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
re: Big Boxes
I miss them for their novelty and for the fact a big box encouraged insane stuff like the super collector's edition of Rainbow Six with equally giant manuals and fold out keyboard layout control diagram. I actually miss those keyboard things the most, made it easier to play for me since I get overwhelmed if a game uses more than two buttons.[/QUOTE]

Those keyboard things were pretty cool. I liked the maps and other extras that would come
packaged inside the game boxes.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Motoki got banned. Well I guess there is one less PC CAG. Darn it![/QUOTE]

Yeah it bums me out about Motoki. I'm fairly new to this thread but I liked his presence around here. I'm sure the mods had their reasons. I always thought he/she could be cranky but could also stir the pot in good ways to and would jump and help someone out if he/she could. Definitely will be more quiet around here lol.

Talking about old big boxed PC games inspired me to dig through my old PC stuff and find my copy of No One Lives Forever.

It's surprisingly easy to get running on Windows 7 64-Bit as well.

Looks like I will be doing a NOLF playthrough soon. =)

I have all of my old PC game boxes on shelves I put up around the ceiling of our computer room. I pick up more at resale shops and church sales and the like when I can find them for a buck or two. Quite often, reading the manuals and especially the enclosed product catalogs is well worth the price even if I never try getting the games to run (or own downloaded copies that are ready to run on modern systems). I could list them, but it would fill a page, so I'll just note that I have several with LucasArts, Sierra, Trilobyte, and Origin on them.

Also, I'm "that guy" who looks at Kickstarters for game remakes and sees the $100 level that gets you an exclusive BOXED VERSION of the game and tells them to shut up and take my money. And I'm not even ashamed.

[quote name='eastx']Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief because I have not been banned.

That is too bad about Motoki though. :([/QUOTE]

Hey, it's eastx!

People need to stop discussing Motoki in the past tense. A CAG ban lasts one week. While he might not feel like posting again once that time is up, he might be more likely to do so if the thread hasn't eulogized him beforehand. Until then, he's on vacation more or less.

[quote name='dbolt']One of the Midweek Madness deals is Sanctum 75% off
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91600/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrinerr']Is Sanctum getting up there with Magicka for being on sale the most times? It's gotta be, right?[/QUOTE]

No. Magicka gets new DLC all the time which tends to prompt promotional sales. Sanctum did get new DLC last year and was on sale at that time, but aside from sitewide sales, it isn't "featured" more than twice a year on average.

It's a great game, by the way. I keep the soundtrack with me, too. The thing about it that people complain about is that when new content is released, the cost of that item tends to be only slightly less than the amazingly-priced complete package, so people who don't own the game can get a great deal and some who consider themselves "early adopters" (usually for having gotten it in Indie Royale) feel they should be getting a better deal.

[quote name='jshackles']Sweet! Tons of new greenlit games I have from indie bundles (DLC Quest, La-Mulana, Unepic, probably some others...?) Hope they follow the tradition and issue Steam keys![/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly!

[quote name='Eldredpe']Looks like I will be doing a NOLF playthrough soon. =)[/QUOTE]

I can't help but hate you. My original PC copies of GTA3 and NOLF were lost during a move. I got GTA3 on Steam, no such luck on NOLF.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']You're right. Lots of recommendations. I see you went with Smiley's recommend from there. As I'm totally clueless I shouldn't buy anything more than 100$ like 75$ lol.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Guitar Center and Musician's Friend have good coupons all the time that can knock 10-25 bucks off an order.[/QUOTE]

I got it for $80 at GC. Like Cheap mentioned, they have coupons all the time. I never owned one prior to the Dean XMT but it works well and is actually almost black and not lighter brown like in the pics. Seems to work well with Rocksmith.

A shame about Motoki. I never witnessed anything close to ban worthy behavior in either of the threads that I closely follow that he posts in so it comes as a surprise to me.

[quote name='louiedog']A shame about Motoki. I never witnessed anything close to ban worthy behavior in either of the threads that I closely follow that he posts in so it comes as a surprise to me.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't post related, but apparently PM related instead.

Wow, sad to see Motoki go.

Anyway I have a question because I was out of the loop. This groupees greenlight bundle. I see in my page Leisure Suit Larry coming soon. Did they add that without me knowing? Just wondering, went to check my page for any free Steam keys of greenlit games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Anyway I have a question because I was out of the loop. This groupees greenlight bundle. I see in my page Leisure Suit Larry coming soon. Did they add that without me knowing? Just wondering, went to check my page for any free Steam keys of greenlit games.[/QUOTE]

LSL and FM were the last bonuses added.

[quote name='vince_carter']wait, motoki got banned? lol wow. he's not even a controversial poster[/QUOTE]

he had his moments...as we all do..but im sure all things will work themselves out

he has issues with when i was bashing the Indie Face Kick guys....look how that one turned out

[quote name='Neuro5i5']LSL and FM were the last bonuses added.[/QUOTE]
Awesome, that's great news. Hope I get a key for LSL.

So Capcom is updating their free Street Fighter X Megaman game to include things such as passwords. They also claim it's based on fan feedback. Someone tell me I am dreaming here because that isn't Capcom :lol:. Update drops Friday.

[quote name='DPsycho']People need to stop discussing Motoki in the past tense. A CAG ban lasts one week. While he might not feel like posting again once that time is up, he might be more likely to do so if the thread hasn't eulogized him beforehand. Until then, he's on vacation more or less.
[/QUOTE]

Just going to quote that here.

[quote name='DPsycho']
People need to stop discussing Motoki in the past tense. A CAG ban lasts one week. While he might not feel like posting again once that time is up, he might be more likely to do so if the thread hasn't eulogized him beforehand. Until then, he's on vacation more or less.[/QUOTE]

Not all CAG bans are 1 week. There are temp bans and perma bans. I have no idea which one Motoki has, but I thought if it was a temp ban, it'd state that as the status.

[quote name='darkunderdog']Anyone have an extra unused copy of the greenlight bundle? :( I missed it! Would be willing to trade / paypal...[/QUOTE]

Everyone's "bundle" will be different since it was a build your own deal.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hmm, that list is missing Fallout (which was on DOS) but has other games from '97.

I hated big boxes. I really missed the old flat folders that games like Wasteland and Deathlord sold in. Those disappeared with the '80s. Boxes got bit, then silly big -- total pain. I wound up having to flatten those. i like CD or DVD casing as a compromise, however DVD cases are 20/foot and do add up. Most of my stuff (games/music/movies) wound up in a 200-CD binders by '97.[/QUOTE]

CaseLogics fo' life! I actually started and completed a project one summer of ripping all my CDs to mp3 so I could put the binders behind me. Now I need to rerip them to FLAC. /sadface

The Tomb Raider big boxes were the most obnoxiously shaped.

I think I said this before, but there was no clear demarcation of when I stopped wanting to have physical media on my shelf and gave my soul wholly over to digital. Damn those crafty bastards.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Awesome, that's great news. Hope I get a key for LSL.

So Capcom is updating their free Street Fighter X Megaman game to include things such as passwords. They also claim it's based on fan feedback. Someone tell me I am dreaming here because that isn't Capcom :lol:. Update drops Friday.[/QUOTE]

It isnt Capcom. Game was made by a fan that does not have anything to do with Capcom.

[quote name='vince_carter']grabbed tiny and big from GMG then immediately regretted it after watching some youtube footage

i'm currently feeling that $2 buyers remorse i feel after getting a bottom of the pot cup of coffee from dunkin donuts[/QUOTE]
But the game is awesome!

[quote name='BernardoOne']It isnt Capcom. Game was made by a fan that does not have anything to do with Capcom.[/QUOTE]

...Of course, Capcom wouldn't do something as awesome as that LOL - they'd be charging us $1 for a DLC to enable the password system - and then $1 for each password attempt xD

[quote name='Kaltic']How did you like the fat DVD cases? The cases could hold up to 6 discs, but rarely had more than one and unlike cardboard boxes they could not be folded. I hated those all the games that used them except for BFME Anthology which actually did come with 5 discs.

EDIT: Looking at the list of DOS games it is just a whole bunch of "Never played that one.... and that one... and that one.... I DID PLAY THAT ONE". I have only played a fraction of those games.[/QUOTE]

I hated those fat DVD cases. I think I still have my HL2 black box and orange box hanging around, as well as my GTA4 retail.

[quote name='louiedog']If you bought the Indie Royale Summer bundle you should now have a Steam key for The Journey Down.[/QUOTE]

Hurrah! Thanks for the the heads-up.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
I still have that up in my old closest at my mom's place. :)

Some other games next to it are:

Diablo II CE
Dark Forces I and II
Command and Conquer 1 and 2
Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
Halflife/ Opposing Force/ Blue Shift / Counterstrike
Quake III Arena (tin box)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (tin box)
CIV II and III
Alpha Centuri
Dungeon Keeper
Crusader No Remorse
Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2
Lucasarts Adventure Pack 1
Interplay Collection
Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, and III
Elder Scrolls Area and Daggerfall
System Shock 2
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Fallout 1 and 2
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Unreal Tournament
Warcraft 2

Memories:

I miss the jewel cases myself. I was not a big fan of the dvd sized boxes, Max Payne and some other games came packaged inside. The smaller were only disappointing because they couldn't contain as much extra stuff anymore.
Those keyboard things were pretty cool. I liked the maps and other extras that would come
packaged inside the game boxes.
[/QUOTE]

Ever buy any Infocom games? Those were packed with "feelies". (Which sometimes wound up as a form of copy protection.) Or encoder wheels. Wasteland came with both a manual and a "Paragraphs" book (the game would reference, "read paragraph 34") more as a way to ship content they couldn't fit onto the disk. Compression was rare in those days. Apparently Deathlord managed to fit such a huge world by using run-length coding.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Give it a month and I'll start a "Bring Motoki Back" petition.[/QUOTE]

Either my reading skills aren't nearly as good as I think they are, or somebody put something in my drink.

[quote name='dfg']CaseLogics fo' life! I actually started and completed a project one summer of ripping all my CDs to mp3 so I could put the binders behind me. Now I need to rerip them to FLAC. /sadface
The Tomb Raider big boxes were the most obnoxiously shaped.

I think I said this before, but there was no clear demarcation of when I stopped wanting to have physical media on my shelf and gave my soul wholly over to digital. Damn those crafty bastards.
[/QUOTE]

This! In CaseLogic I trust! Yes, a decade back I ripped all my audio CDs with EAC and lame -altpreset, now I still need to rerip them all to FLAC. I've since worked in audio coding, and I just can't not hear the splatter instead of sharp transients (e.g. castanets). It's worst in MP3 but still exists in AAC.

[quote name='jkimrey']Can anyone tell me how the TF2 pre-order bonuses work for The Cave?

I pre-ordered the game, but see no TF2 items in my inventory...[/QUOTE]
Did you buy from Steam? If not, no pre-order items for you sadly.

If you did buy from Steam, is it in your library or is it in your inventory? If it's in your inventory you'll need to unpack the gift before you can get the items.

As for me, I had to run TF2 to get the three free items. And they're all engineer bits sadly :cry: (I play pyro)

[quote name='asheskitty']@hal
You're not slighting sonic spinball, are you? ^_~[/QUOTE]

Not at all... I typo'ed and meant to say I didn't think all Sonic (post-CD) were terrible.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
Memories:
[/QUOTE]

One glaring omission: 1999 Unreal Tournament

[quote name='MysterD']^5 to Eldredpe for NOLF.
I love Cate Archer.
Oh, and her Banana Peel weapon.[/QUOTE]

NOLF2 FTW. I want to go play that game right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back