The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
After beating the game, I came to the conclusion that none of the DLC I purchased was worthwhile. There are costume and car unlocks mostly, but I found that it took away a bit from the experience of being able to purchase my own stuff. Also, I started the game out on level 5 for Triad, Police, and Face XP, so I was already fully upgraded halfway through the game.

Nightmare in North Point sucked...not worth wasting money and 90 minutes for. I didn't buy Zodiac Tournament (have no plans to either).

[quote name='Progamer665']Which Sleeping Dogs dlc is actually worth the money?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Eldredpe']Putting the quote after the main comment makes your post read like a Jeopardy! question.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that myself. It always gets a laugh out of me.

Man, have updates for a weekend sale been so far behind as this Square thing is? Good thing that I'm pretty sure there's nothing in Square's catalogue I want, haha.

[quote name='dustdust']After beating the game, I came to the conclusion that none of the DLC I purchased was worthwhile. There are costume and car unlocks mostly, but I found that it took away a bit from the experience of being able to purchase my own stuff. Also, I started the game out on level 5 for Triad, Police, and Face XP, so I was already fully upgraded halfway through the game.

Nightmare in North Point sucked...not worth wasting money and 90 minutes for. I didn't buy Zodiac Tournament (have no plans to either).[/QUOTE]

Yep, those are my exact thoughts as well. Cash is pretty much useless if you have the DLC. There's a way to remove the unlock/XP boost DLC by deleting a few files in the game directory, which would've made it so you don't start out at level 5.

Nightmare in North Point wasn't fun at all, I just wanted it to end.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Any opinions on GOG Tomb Raider 1/2/3 versus Steam Tome Raider 1/2/3?[/QUOTE]

Steam uses the GOG versions of those games, so they should be the same. I don't have them on Steam though, so I can't comment further.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Any opinions on GOG Tomb Raider 1/2/3 versus Steam Tome Raider 1/2/3?[/QUOTE]

The latter is slightly more literary.

What is something that annoys myself and others?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Putting the quote after the main comment makes your post read like a Jeopardy! question.[/QUOTE]

What annoys me is the lack of a space between the quote and your text causing me to always hit Enter twice before I start typing my response.

[quote name='Curtsey']Thinking of Buying the Deus Ex collection, but only really interested in Deus Ex:HR, should I Just buy the solo game or are the DLC's worth getting as well?[/QUOTE]Just get the solo game, the bonus missions and missing link don't really add much at all (missing link especially is pretty boring)

Missing Link is good for its 'boss fight' which is better than the outsourced boss fights in the original game. That said, if they're still selling it for $3.75 it isn't really worth it compared to the $5 for the base game. I'd also recommend the original Deus Ex for $2.50 -- it's better than HR.

[quote name='Mooby']What annoys me is the lack of a space between the quote and your text causing me to always hit Enter twice before I start typing my response.[/QUOTE]

This! ;)

Agreed on SD DLC. Skip it all. I loved the game and those aren't worth it.

[quote name='Mooby']Missing Link is good for its 'boss fight' which is better than the outsourced boss fights in the original game. That said, if they're still selling it for $3.75 it isn't really worth it compared to the $5 for the base game. I'd also recommend the original Deus Ex for $2.50 -- it's better than HR.[/QUOTE]

I thought the bosses in HR were great fun. ML's boss is just a room of guards but you can't wait to kill that asshole.

Personally I think all the HR DLC is worth it. More toys to dick around with but you could easily go without it. Missing Link is a standalone single "dungeon" if you will. It's a tight experience and pretty replayable.

[quote name='The End']Sweet sassy molassy, am I ever glad that I cancelled my Hitman Absolution Pre-order. 2 months after release, it's already 66% off.[/QUOTE]

I got it for $20 back in mid-december from Amazon and loved it. Definitely recommend it at that price.

I'm glad to see the Tomb Raider preorders shoot up this weekend. I preordered it back around Christmas time to get Guardian of Light with it since I never finished the XBLA version, and now it looks like we'll at least unlock Tier 2 for some free DLC.

[quote name='The End']Sweet sassy molassy, am I ever glad that I cancelled my Hitman Absolution Pre-order. 2 months after release, it's already 66% off.[/QUOTE]

This is actually one of the better deals that Steam has had in a long while. I've never played a Hitman game though - would anyone recommend I start with this one? Or should I start with one of the previous games. I own Blood Money - is that one any good?

[quote name='jshackles']This is actually one of the better deals that Steam has had in a long while. I've never played a Hitman game though - would anyone recommend I start with this one? Or should I start with one of the previous games. I own Blood Money - is that one any good?[/QUOTE]

I've only ever played Blood Money but loved it, plus there is a cash type upgrade system which I always enjoy in games for that light rpgish feel.

Plus lots of varied locations and settings so easily worth a play through.

[quote name='jshackles']This is actually one of the better deals that Steam has had in a long while. [/QUOTE]

I know, right? Suprise, suprise. I'm actually tempted to buy something directly off Steam.

When did Steam start selling E-books?

[quote name='Eldredpe']I find it difficult to believe that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference in weight distribution between a television and a box of rocks when lifting it.[/QUOTE]
You underestimate the human capacity for dumbassery.

[quote name='dustdust']After beating the game, I came to the conclusion that none of the DLC I purchased was worthwhile. There are costume and car unlocks mostly, but I found that it took away a bit from the experience of being able to purchase my own stuff. Also, I started the game out on level 5 for Triad, Police, and Face XP, so I was already fully upgraded halfway through the game.

Nightmare in North Point sucked...not worth wasting money and 90 minutes for. I didn't buy Zodiac Tournament (have no plans to either).[/QUOTE]
crap, is there a way to disable the Sleeping Dogs DLC? I stupidly bought it all when it was 91% off.

[quote name='pantsattack']DOOM RAILS TiME![/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, I can't get it to work on Windows 8 :cry:

[quote name='sunasun']
crap, is there a way to disable the Sleeping Dogs DLC? I stupidly bought it all when it was 91% off.[/QUOTE]

Delete these from the game directory. It's all the unlock/money/XP DLC:

1E6323E1.dat - Gold Top Dog
576E446C.dat - Silver Top Dog
E58008F5.dat - Red Envelope Pack
AC8D6F78.dat - High Roller Pack

[quote name='sunasun']When did Steam start selling E-books?

You underestimate the human capacity for dumbassery.

crap, is there a way to disable the Sleeping Dogs DLC? I stupidly bought it all when it was 91% off.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work on Windows 8 :cry:[/QUOTE]

I posted a guide there on how to get it to run on Windows 8. It worked for me.

[quote name='jshackles']This is actually one of the better deals that Steam has had in a long while. I've never played a Hitman game though - would anyone recommend I start with this one? Or should I start with one of the previous games. I own Blood Money - is that one any good?[/QUOTE]

Play Blood Money. Is the best game in the series by far... I haven't played Absolution yet... but after watching some videos and reading some reviews it seems is FAR from Blood Money.

Hitman BM is AWESOME. You can accomplish your objective on so many ways. Just try it. By the time you finish the game, Absolution will be cheaper.

I'm waiting for absolution to reach $5. Not in a hurry to play it. I'm more worried about X-Com... I'm a die hard fan and still waiting for it to reach a lower price. Is so hard to resist!

Well, here is the only way to run Doom Rails on Windows 8 right now (can only run outside of Steam):

Step 1: Get your key from Steam and copy it or write it down somewhere. Note: You need to have Doom Rails installed via Steam or the DL started on the game before the view key option is available when you right click it.

Step 2: DL the Doom Rails installer here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/207980/200000/fileinfo/Doom-Rails-Demo

Step 3: Run the installer as Administrator (it is possible you may need to run as Windows 7 Compability too).

Step 4: If Windows Defender or your antivirus gives you a trojan warning it is a false positive. Ignore it if you can, otherwise you will need to disable it, uninstall, and install again.

Step 5: Once installed, run the Doom Rails exe as admin (and possibly as Windows 7 Compability). If you had to disable your antivirus you have to keep it disabled to run the game.

Step 6: Enter your key to activate the game. ONLY 5 ACTIVATIONS!!!!!

Step 7: Decide if it is worth it for you!

Step 8: Play?

Lots of trouble, not sure if I want to disable Windows Defender every time. Trying to find away to have it ignore the false positive and then I might keep the game installed.

I haven't played Blood Money but I very much enjoyed Absolution. It's the only stealth game where I actually felt inspired to play it right rather than machine gunning everyone in the face (it's 'stealth' if I shoot their eyes out, right?). To the point where I'd restart a level if someone saw me rather than take the small point hit.

From what I've read the disguise system is considerably different than the previous games making this game more traditionally stealth based and most complaints are because you spend your time hiding behind pillars and in laundry bins rather than walking around dressed as a clown or plumber.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
Well, here is the only way to run Doom Rails on Windows 8 right now (can only run outside of Steam):

Step 1: Get your key from Steam and copy it or write it down somewhere. Note: You need to have Doom Rails installed via Steam or the DL started on the game before the view key option is available when you right click it.

Step 2: DL the Doom Rails installer here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/207980/200000/fileinfo/Doom-Rails-Demo

Step 3: Run the installer as Administrator (it is possible you may need to run as Windows 7 Compability too).

Step 4: If Windows Defender or your antivirus gives you a trojan warning it is a false positive. Ignore it if you can, otherwise you will need to disable it, uninstall, and install again.

Step 5: Once installed, run the Doom Rails exe as admin (and possibly as Windows 7 Compability). If you had to disable your antivirus you have to keep it disabled to run the game.

Step 6: Enter your key to activate the game. ONLY 5 ACTIVATIONS!!!!!

Step 7: Decide if it is worth it for you!

Step 8: Play?

Lots of trouble, not sure if I want to disable Windows Defender every time. Trying to find away to have it ignore the false positive and then I might keep the game installed.
[/QUOTE]
Ok, trying this now. Thanks Cheap!!!!

*edit just got accepted into the Sim City BETA Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Sophita']I've only ever played Blood Money but loved it, plus there is a cash type upgrade system which I always enjoy in games for that light rpgish feel.

Plus lots of varied locations and settings so easily worth a play through.[/QUOTE]

Sounds pretty sweet, I'll have to check it out! I think I got it from one of those Squeenix packs off Amazon, but I don't recall. I was probably too busy at the time playing Just Cause 2.

[quote name='Khamous']Am I the only one wishing the Legacy of Kain series go on sale for more than 50% tmr? :([/QUOTE]

Anything's possible, but as someone who has all of the Legacy of Kain games, they're well worth it. :) I wish they would bring back the original PS1 title, but then again that might just be better left to memory.

[quote name='Khamous']Am I the only one wishing the Legacy of Kain series go on sale for more than 50% tmr? :([/QUOTE]

The bundle was 5.81$ on GamersGate on January, 3rd. That's how I got it.

[quote name='jshackles']Anything's possible, but as someone who has all of the Legacy of Kain games, they're well worth it. :) I wish they would bring back the original PS1 title, but then again that might just be better left to memory.[/QUOTE]

The only thing left out from the bundle is the Blood Omen series. That's what you mean with original PS1 title?

[quote name='soulkyo']
The only thing left out from the bundle is the Blood Omen series. That's what you mean with original PS1 title?[/QUOTE]

Blood Omen 1 was the first game in the Legacy of Kain series and was originally released on PS1, so yeah that's likely what he meant.

[quote name='Jon7']Blood Omen 1 was the first game in the Legacy of Kain series and was originally released on PS1, so yeah that's likely what he meant.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought that too. Only Blood Omen 2 is available on GOG.

Anyone staying up to get the microsoft bundle at amazon tonight? Awesome bundle for $9.99! Hehe! Good thing i passed up on getting deadlight and mark the ninja during winter sale

I was under the impression that all the Hitman: Absolution DLC guns and stuff were only for the online competition modes. So ask yourself if that holds any interest for you.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I was under the impression that all the Hitman: Absolution DLC guns and stuff were only for the online competition modes. So ask yourself if that holds any interest for you.[/QUOTE]

They are. I have the 360 version + all DLC and the weapons/skins are for Contracts mode only. Went ahead and purchased it on Steam as well because I love the game ^_^

Is Hitman Absolution an essential purchase? My backlog is kinda ridiculous right now, so trying to figure out if this is a must-buy or not.. The AI issues might really bug me. And stealth games + AI issues = Nooooo!!

[quote name='WilliamG']Is Hitman Absolution an essential purchase? My backlog is kinda ridiculous right now, so trying to figure out if this is a must-buy or not.. The AI issues might really bug me. And stealth games + AI issues = Nooooo!![/QUOTE]

If you have a large backlog I would say wait. I'm surprised there hasn't been an msrp drop on it yet. The console versions have been at $40 so much they might as well make it the msrp across the board. I'm sure you will see it at this price again if not cheaper throughout the year.

Any opinions here on The Book of Unwritten Tales? GMG has it for 66% off then plus the coupon, and for some reason I'm feeling compelled to get it. Which is odd because I should be spending my time with Mark of the Ninja having finally picked that up from the Amazon bundle.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Any opinions here on The Book of Unwritten Tales? GMG has it for 66% off then plus the coupon, and for some reason I'm feeling compelled to get it. Which is odd because I should be spending my time with Mark of the Ninja having finally picked that up from the Amazon bundle.[/QUOTE]
It's a very charming adventure game. I picked it up for a bit under $5 and felt that was a great price. If you decide to try the demo, I would play 10-15 minutes of it so you don't repeat a large section again when you play the game.

Although I haven't completed it yet (need to start back on it), I've really enjoyed it so far.

Love the humor and atmosphere. If you have any interest in the point-and-click adventure genre, you can't go wrong on this one, IMO.

Especially at that price - I paid close to MSRP and don't regret it at all.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Any opinions here on The Book of Unwritten Tales? GMG has it for 66% off then plus the coupon, and for some reason I'm feeling compelled to get it. Which is odd because I should be spending my time with Mark of the Ninja having finally picked that up from the Amazon bundle.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back