The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrBonk']Using Aero while playing games in general is not a good idea unless you are playing something that only offers like borderless windowed and you need Vsync.[/QUOTE]

Wait aero themes really can affect my fps?

I don't do steamgifts myself, so I was hoping for someone else to answer. There is a CAG group on steam, so I understand you can limit giveaways to that. However I've seen complaints that it is an open group and there are a sizable number of non-CAGs there.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Each class had a weapon type that was really meant for them because of skills they would learn. The Solider was for assault rifles, sniper rifle was for Mordecai (as well as handguns iirc). Siren was for SMG's and Bazookas for Brick.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Preedatore']Your playing the game wrong!!! Mordecai is the way to go with sniper rifle. Each character has skills that will favor a weapon set, you typically want to stay with that set for your best chances. That's not to say each character shouldn't use the other weapons though.

I solo'd Mordecai through all the DLC after playing the main game. Even using a crappy low lvl fire elemental sniper rifle I was one shotting (with crits) most standard enemies. When overwhelmed I just let my juiced up Bloodwing fly and he took out most enemies with 1 shot as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Eldredpe']Glad we got that cleared up.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']I swear tweaking CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT was less hassle >.>[/QUOTE]

AMEN! 600k free FTW!

[quote name='asheskitty']I don't do steamgifts myself, so I was hoping for someone else to answer. There is a CAG group on steam, so I understand you can limit giveaways to that. However I've seen complaints that it is an open group and there are a sizable number of non-CAGs there.[/QUOTE]

The Steam CAG group has over 2800 members, I don't think anyone vets them, they just pm someone for an invite so I guess lurkers could do the same.

The Steam Gifts giveaway restricted to that group would be available to all 2800 of them. for what that's worth.

[quote name='Blade']I sent you an invite. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Blade, I've just entered :applause:
However, reading ashes' comment regarding private Steamgifts and seeing that the group's activity is not as lively as I expected, I'll just list my games here so lurkers will not be able to snatch their codes away... here you go!

Greed Corp --> snatched by zenii
Hamlet --> slurped by nny
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Conquest of Elysium 3 --> "reserved" for Preedatore (as it sits in my inventory)
Metro 2033
GT Legends (dunno if it's one of those infamous polish CD keys, so use at your own risk)
Shank 2 --> warped to Syntax Error
Dungeon Defenders + All DLC --> smitten by rke1208
DOTA 2 (lulz)
Trine
Hinterland --> grabbed by akmgmer
Toy Soldiers

As I said, first come first served, so ask me the game you're interested in by PM and I'll throw a code in your general direction. I'll then update the post with remaining codes. Enjoy, and good luck! :cool:

P.S.
I'm about to leave my office, so I'll reach those interested within a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']I don't do steamgifts myself, so I was hoping for someone else to answer. There is a CAG group on steam, so I understand you can limit giveaways to that. However I've seen complaints that it is an open group and there are a sizable number of non-CAGs there.[/QUOTE]
I ran a giveaway (for Darksiders) limited to the CAG group. Of the 17 entries, only 4 were by legit users - the other users had unactivated wins or other problems with their accounts.

[quote name='jatan11t']WOAH! New groupees bundle
http://groupees.com/kiss
For $1
iBomber Attack (Steam)
JULIA

For $5 get these too
Lucius (Steam)
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North (Steam)

Instant buy for me - WotN is #1 on wishlist[/QUOTE]

Wow that is a great bundle! I was really thinking about the new King's Bounty for a while now so I'll probably pick it up for that. The rest is just bonus!

[quote name='akmgmer']Wow that is a great bundle! I was really thinking about the new King's Bounty for a while now so I'll probably pick it up for that. The rest is just bonus![/QUOTE]

Agreed, tho I'm way behind on King's Bounty games. (Haven't finished the first one yet...)

How does WitN compare with the other King's Bounty games? I played a bit of Armored Princess and enjoyed it, but I have the first three games and I haven't really touched Crossworlds or the other one. Is WitN a better experience than the other three, or should I pass since I haven't even gone through them?

[quote name='imac2much']How does WitN compare with the other King's Bounty games? I played a bit of Armored Princess and enjoyed it, but I have the first three games and I haven't really touched Crossworlds or the other one. Is WitN a better experience than the other three, or should I pass since I haven't even gone through them?[/QUOTE]

It is more of the same. Instead of a dragon you summon Valkyries and you can fly on the map after a little bit. I like it, but I am a pretty big fan of the series.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']dammit, I just bought lucius non-steam[/QUOTE]

Lucky you, now you can get it on Steam too.

I've been eying Lucius, King's Bounty and JULIA. Nice bundle.

Yeah it's big but if you limit it to the group and only advertise the giveaway in this thread then there is usually only about 50 or so entries.

I've been on fire with steamgifts the last week or so. I've won 3 of them.

I've won
Colorblind
Saints Row the Second
Deathrally

This is the lamest midweek madness in a long time. Only a single medicore game that is half off elsewhere. Steam isn't even trying anymore.

[quote name='asheskitty']Hahahaha Risen 2 66% off daily $10.19, DLC isn't discounted.... [/QUOTE]

You're not missing much. The DLC is pretty lackluster for that game but I do like the base game itself. Enough that I imported the CE from Germany in a carboard pirate chest with a gnome figurine and all that. :p

51cvNnuuIuL.jpg

[quote name='squijee']Wait aero themes really can affect my fps?[/QUOTE]

You could take my word for it (below) or test it yourself.

[quote name='asheskitty']Win7 using a Basic (non-Aero) theme bought me 10+FPS in Sleeping Dogs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']You're not missing much. The DLC is pretty lackluster for that game but I do like the base game itself. Enough that I imported the CE from Germany in a carboard pirate chest with a gnome figurine and all that. :p
51cvNnuuIuL.jpg
[/QUOTE]

^_^ I remember your in-thread review of it and the DLC. I've waited this long, I figure I'll wait for the complete bundle (just because). Also I really should get around to playing Risen 1 (thankfully I have it on steam -- didn't depend on VOID). I am thinking that my next game will be Saints Row 2 -- I'm kinda in the mood for something GTAish and I want to play that while my computer is still clocked @ 3.2 GHz.

I also found my free (ad-supported?) version of FarCry from Sept 2007 =D

Insta-buy the new groupees bundle.

Still playing king's bounty the legend (doing every quest) ... But is on my top list. I'm a big fan. I only stopped playing because I wanted to play other games on my backlog. And more of the same, in the king's bounty universe, is a good thing :)

Also, had my eyes on lucius since I saw it on steam. I know it has bad reviews, but still want to try it.

[quote name='jatan11t']WOAH! New groupees bundle
http://groupees.com/kiss
For $1
iBomber Attack (Steam)
JULIA

For $5 get these too
Lucius (Steam)
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North (Steam)

Instant buy for me - WotN is #1 on wishlist[/QUOTE]

Definitely an odd mix, unfortunately I only want Lucius.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I was hoping for a deal on Crusader Kings II again so that Amazon could match it. I guess it means I have to do without for a while.[/QUOTE]

Not as sweet as steams previous deal but I bought CK2 redeemable steam key from paradox's webstore for $18 two days ago.

[quote name='asheskitty']Your GTX 650 has very similar performance to my GTX 260. No clue about Win8, but in Win7 using a Basic (non-Aero) theme bought me 10+FPS in Sleeping Dogs. Below is the tweak guide I used, as well as my benchmark. Try my settings on the benchmark and see what you get.

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/gaming/sleepingdogs_tweak_guide/

SD_Benchmark.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Junpei']Thanks, I saw that you already posted your benchmark some messages ago, but it flew over my head somehow... I'll try that once I get home :)[quote name='squijee']Wait aero themes really can affect my fps?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']You could take my word for it (below) or test it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Here are my results, oddly the average fps stays relatively the same...

With Aero, V-Sync On:
sleeping_dos_with_aero_v_sync_on.jpg

With Aero, V-Sync off:
sleeping_dos_with_aero_v_sync_off.jpg

Without Aero, V-Sync On:
sleeping_dos_without_aero_v_sync_on.jpg

Without Aero, V-Sync Off:
sleeping_dos_without_aero_v_sync_off.jpg

As you can see, there is a marked improvement with Aero turned off, but in my case, only when V-Sync is turned off.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Here are my results, oddly the average fps stays relatively the same...
*snip*
As you can see, there is a marked improvement with Aero turned off, but in my case, only when V-Sync is turned off.[/QUOTE]
That seems so bizzare to me. I can't imagine why NoAero + VSync has less average FPS than Aero+VSync.

I finished Sleeping Dogs last night and I'm pleased to say it was pretty much as good as people say it was. The setting is fantastic, the combat is cool, the story is varied and unpredictable enough, and the side-mission/collectables stuff is really rather addictive. I got it on a glitched GMG deal over the Xmas sale and I'm more than happy with the purchase. Yes, the missions get a little repetitive in the middle, but overall it's an excellent game. There's plenty of copies available in the Steam trade thread for about $10 and it's well worth it, in my opinion.

Nobody messes with Mrs. Chu

I'm planning on playing through Deadlight now. This isn't what I expected. I assumed it was a side-scrolling shooty thingy. Doesn't seem that straight-forward. I'm liking it though, very moody.

No need to look on the trade forums for Sleeping Dogs for $10; STEAM still has it for that price for another 2 hours. Go get it while it's still on sale peeps!!!

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']That seems so bizzare to me. I can't imagine why NoAero + VSync has less average FPS than Aero+VSync.[/QUOTE]

I just confirmed my previous results by running them again, I also did a run with Windows Classic Vs. Windows 7 Themes. Both non-Aero, but they both put up the same numbers, so it's definitely Aero.

[quote name='Flowette']I finished Sleeping Dogs last night and I'm pleased to say it was pretty much as good as people say it was. The setting is fantastic, the combat is cool, the story is varied and unpredictable enough, and the side-mission/collectables stuff is really rather addictive. I got it on a glitched GMG deal over the Xmas sale and I'm more than happy with the purchase. Yes, the missions get a little repetitive in the middle, but overall it's an excellent game. There's plenty of copies available in the Steam trade thread for about $10 and it's well worth it, in my opinion.

Nobody messes with Mrs. Chu

I'm planning on playing through Deadlight now. This isn't what I expected. I assumed it was a side-scrolling shooty thingy. Doesn't seem that straight-forward. I'm liking it though, very moody.[/QUOTE]

While I thought Sleeping Dogs is a good game, the main issues I had with it were lack of variety, and lack of challenge. The game is too easy, you can basically counter everything easily (melee) and use slow-mo for gun fights. There isn't one single thing I could think of in the game that had any challenge to it, which doesn't seem to be brought up much.

[quote name='spoderman']While I thought Sleeping Dogs is a good game, the main issues I had with it were lack of variety, and lack of challenge. The game is too easy, you can basically counter everything easily (melee) and use slow-mo for gun fights. There isn't one single thing I could think of in the game that had any challenge to it, which doesn't seem to be brought up much.[/QUOTE]

It had enough challenge for me. I had to re-do several drug busts because I got my arse kicked, they were only easier later on because I'd picked up some more health.

Each to their own I guess. It had a suitable level of challenge for me. If it was too hard I wouldn't have bothered playing on :)

I like what I've played of Lucius so far. I love the creepy vibe that the main character gives off in this game, which really makes you feel like you're in the world of "The Omen". I posted this video in the groupees thread, but I'll also leave it here, as I think it gives a good impression of the gameplay. "Hitman With a Six Year Old" is not a bad description here, as it invokes the spirit of that series, getting a target and trying to kill them through stealthy means and inventory items, although the actual gameplay is a little more linear than the open nature of Hitman's missions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epbzo5HoGWc

[quote name='Syntax Error']Deadlight mid-week madness for $7.49

Trololololol...[/QUOTE]

The sickening part is it makes it to the Top Sellers.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']edit: bummer DragonBorn GMG only gets 20% off not 25% off prepurchase. Oh well. 1$ difference.[/QUOTE]

I can't get any of their coupons to work on the Dragonborn DLC. Which one are you using for 20% off?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.

BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Metro 2033
GT Legends (dunno if it's one of those infamous polish CD keys, so use at your own risk)
DOTA 2 (lulz)
Trine
Toy Soldiers

Those are still up for grabs, so if someone's still interested PM me!
I mean, come on, there's Metro 2033! How many CAGers could possibly have it already??

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back