The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Preedatore']That reminds me, the free game thing is tomorrow. Wonder what exciting things will be bestowed upon the throngs of disgruntled gamers?[/QUOTE]

Mercs 2.

[quote name='jshackles']
*: most of which, you'll be cleaning up the streets of Tokyo**
[/QUOTE]

Not every Asian is from Japan, dude. Racist!

[quote name='vince_carter']it's really not a hard game once you learn to parry tbh

it's an amazing game, probably my favorite of the last 10 years

also ruined games like amalur and risen 2 for me because the combat just feels SO RIGHT

but i digress, i just look for any excuse to talk about dark souls[/QUOTE]

This. I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Both were a little rough to get into a first but once you get used to it they feel just so right to play. I was happy to play through and Platinum both titles. The combat is just so damn good, and the lore . . . just perfect.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']This. I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Both were a little rough to get into a first but once you get used to it they feel just so right to play. I was happy to play through and Platinum both titles. The combat is just so damn good, and the lore . . . just perfect.[/QUOTE]
I want to play it so much, but it just hasn't been cheap enough on top of the modding it's going to take to make me enjoy it, not to mention the FPS issues...

Yeah, unfortunately I don't see a PC Dragon's Dogma seeing the light of day. Shame too, I would (re)buy it in a heartbeat. It is the only 360 game I've purchased in almost 3 years, and I don't regret it, though I'd love to play it on PC. Will probably get the Dark Arisen expansion thing as well.

Ironically, I looked up my order history with Amazon, and my last console game purchased before DD was Red Dead Redemption.. another that I hoped would land on PC at some point. Oh well..

Glad to see Amalur finally getting a steam sale. I pre-ordered that last year (origin) and have all the DLC.. I need to get back to that sometime. Huge game, and a lot of fun, but plagued by balance issues. Really easy to get an overpowered character, even on the highest difficulty. The other big thing is that overland map areas and every little cave, etc, have a min/max level that they are locked at. They lock to your characters' level when you enter them. So you need to be careful not to go to an area until you are ready, lest you come back later to be constantly fighting weak gray cons (and getting lower level loot). The guide book was really useful in that regard, at least. It showed the min/max levels that every area could be locked to, so you could kinda plan out your journey to get the most out of it. The game also looks and plays amazing in 3Dvision after a fix over on the helixmod site.

[quote name='gnargnargnar']Yeah, unfortunately I don't see a PC Dragon's Dogma seeing the light of day. Shame too, I would (re)buy it in a heartbeat. It is the only 360 game I've purchased in almost 3 years, and I don't regret it, though I'd love to play it on PC. Will probably get the Dark Arisen expansion thing as well.

Ironically, I looked up my order history with Amazon, and my last console game purchased before DD was Red Dead Redemption.. another that I hoped would land on PC at some point. Oh well..

Glad to see Amalur finally getting a steam sale. I pre-ordered that last year (origin) and have all the DLC.. I need to get back to that sometime. Huge game, and a lot of fun, but plagued by balance issues. Really easy to get an overpowered character, even on the highest difficulty. The other big thing is that overland map areas and every little cave, etc, have a min/max level that they are locked at. They lock to your characters' level when you enter them. So you need to be careful not to go to an area until you are ready, lest you come back later to be constantly fighting weak gray cons (and getting lower level loot). The guide book was really useful in that regard, at least. It showed the min/max levels that every area could be locked to, so you could kinda plan out your journey to get the most out of it. The game also looks and plays amazing in 3Dvision after a fix over on the helixmod site.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried the Heartcore mod to increase difficulty? At the point in the game I was at, and with the weapons I was using, I was finding it pretty difficult, so I haven't tried the mod, but maybe later on...

[quote name='MysterD']
I am I missing something here w/ how Pawn System works on consoles?
Why not have players put their Pawns up on Steam Workshop?
I wonder how much time and money it'd cost for Capcom to implement.
Hmmm...Does Steam handle all of the servers for games supporting Steam Workshop?[/QUOTE]

The reason the workshop idea wouldn't work is because there's an ingame cost for hiring other peoples pawns, and you also get currency when someone uses your pawn. Steam workshop would have no way currently of making that work unless they removed that aspect completely (which I think people would be okay with if it meant the game got released on PC).

[quote name='Idiotekque']Have you tried the Heartcore mod to increase difficulty? At the point in the game I was at, and with the weapons I was using, I was finding it pretty difficult, so I haven't tried the mod, but maybe later on...[/QUOTE]

I had not tried it when I played last year; the version that was out when I was playing near release sounded buggy and problematic. I found the download link to an updated version on the steam forums last month and people were praising it -- I'll definitely give it a go next time I fire the game up.

Now may be a good time to start it up again, actually - I just hit 100% completion on Tomb Raider a few minutes ago.

[quote name='Idiotekque']How are those shoes giving that person the impression of GLaDOS/Portal?[/QUOTE]

Maybe since those boots are from Portal/Portal 2? If anything it would be Chell from Portal since she's the one who wears them. I bet she has one Hell of a poker face.

[quote name='Idiotekque']How are those shoes giving that person the impression of GLaDOS/Portal?[/QUOTE]

Probably the same reason that they think Jack's Mask from Borderlands = Claptrap.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Maybe since those boots are from Portal/Portal 2? If anything it would be Chell from Portal since she's the one who wears them. I bet she has one Hell of a poker face.[/QUOTE]

Well, she doesn't let anything slip when she talks, that's for sure. I think that might also make her an odd choice for the game.

I still need that first game.

It looks like tomorrow's Daily Deal is The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, 66% off. It's already in the news feed though the deal isn't live, obviously.

[quote name='louiedog']Well, she doesn't let anything slip when she talks, that's for sure. I think that might also make her an odd choice for the game.

I still need that first game.[/QUOTE]

Actually thinking about it GLaDOS might be the better choice simply for the potential dialogue.

I still haven't gotten the first one either.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Actually thinking about it GLaDOS might be the better choice simply for the potential dialogue.

I still haven't gotten the first one either.[/QUOTE]

Glados might be too large for the poker table. Wheatley seems like he'd be a lot more likely than Chell also.

There's no way it's Chell. They'd have to give her a voice. It's Glados or Wheatley. Though I can dream it's Cave Johnson so we can get that magnifcent J.K. Simmons.

Haven't bought anything on steam in a while. Then again haven't played anything pc in a while. Can't wait for summer sale! Hehe

[quote name='Corpekata']You don't see them often. You'd really only notice them in the portal reflections and whatnot.[/QUOTE]
Is that only in Portal 2? Because I played Portal 1 to death and used portals to see myself and whatnot, and I never noticed those shoes.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Is that only in Portal 2? Because I played Portal 1 to death and used portals to see myself and whatnot, and I never noticed those shoes.[/QUOTE]

Both games, though in Portal one they were just those rubber looking flaps. Portal 2 had actual boots/shoes. Those boots are what prevent your legs from snapping into a thousand pieces from those high inertia falls and throws from portals. Otherwise Chell would be crippled, and then Portal 2 would have been a much more different game.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Is that only in Portal 2? Because I played Portal 1 to death and used portals to see myself and whatnot, and I never noticed those shoes.[/QUOTE]

In that design, yes. In the first game Chell is actually barefoot, but has those elongated things at the back of her legs. You see them a couple times.

One of the games, I believe it's the first, includes dialogue explaining that you can safely fall from great heights on account of them.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Have you tried the Heartcore mod to increase difficulty? At the point in the game I was at, and with the weapons I was using, I was finding it pretty difficult, so I haven't tried the mod, but maybe later on...[/QUOTE]

Well, just finished the tutorial section with the mod in place -- I'll happily report it works as advertised thus far. I went with the version that reduces exp gained by 67% as well.

Troll at the end of the tutorial took about 10 minutes to beat down and he backhanded me once for about 80% of my life.

The speedhack element is pretty spiffy, too. Everything moves a lot faster and makes combat a bit more interesting.

[quote name='gnargnargnar']Well, just finished the tutorial section with the mod in place -- I'll happily report it works as advertised thus far. I went with the version that reduces exp gained by 67% as well.

Troll at the end of the tutorial took about 10 minutes to beat down and he backhanded me once for about 80% of my life.

The speedhack element is pretty spiffy, too. Everything moves a lot faster and makes combat a bit more interesting.[/QUOTE]
Hm, I'll have to try it if the game ends up getting too easy. Maybe if I used magic more it would be, but with bows and knives it was still pretty difficult on hard at the point I was at (the town with some sort of plague I think).

[quote name='Idiotekque']Hm, I'll have to try it if the game ends up getting too easy. Maybe if I used magic more it would be, but with bows and knives it was still pretty difficult on hard at the point I was at (the town with some sort of plague I think).[/QUOTE]

You don't need magic to make it easy. I never used it, and it was still quite easy -- as in 0 deaths in like 10 hours. I did use potions sparingly though.

[quote name='elessar123']You don't need magic to make it easy. I never used it, and it was still quite easy -- as in 0 deaths in like 10 hours. I did use potions sparingly though.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, maybe bows are fairly weak, or I moved through the game too quickly, because I found myself running out of potions and having a pretty rough time in some areas. I find Fable pathetically easy, yet have found KoA satisfyingly difficult.

What difficulty were you playing on?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I dunno, maybe bows are fairly weak, or I moved through the game too quickly, because I found myself running out of potions and having a pretty rough time in some areas. I find Fable pathetically easy, yet have found KoA satisfyingly difficult.

What difficulty were you playing on?[/QUOTE]

I don't remember playing Fable 1 and I haven't played Fable III yet, so no basis for comparison there. I had a Dokkalfar (sp?) male who specialized in faeblades and magic and I found KoA's combat to be pretty easy for the most part. I played on Normal. Having said that, I find virtually no games to be overly easy so in some ways it constituted a refreshing change, but I can see why others might complain about it.

[quote name='warreni']I don't remember playing Fable 1 and I haven't played Fable III yet, so no basis for comparison there. I had a Dokkalfar (sp?) male who specialized in faeblades and magic and I found KoA's combat to be pretty easy for the most part. I played on Normal. Having said that, I find virtually no games to be overly easy so in some ways it constituted a refreshing change, but I can see why others might complain about it.[/QUOTE]

My impression is that with the different weapons you have to adopt different styles, and that can make things seem "easier." My first character was a Dokkalfar with faeblades and magic and it _seems_ easy and unstrategic because with the faeblades all you do is attack constantly, running around like a buzzsaw - once you get to later areas with enemies with more hp and harder hits it doesn work quite as well (although if you do ALL the side quests, you get overpowered and it seems like the game never gets harder). Now I'm playing a magic/greatsword build (with chakram as a backup) and if I just run in attacking without timing and blocking, I get my ass kicked because a lot of enemies are quicker than I am.

Recognizing that the game is not for everyone, I wonder if maybe some people would enjoy it more with a different build.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Actually thinking about it GLaDOS might be the better choice simply for the potential dialogue.

I still haven't gotten the first one either.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jon7']Glados might be too large for the poker table. Wheatley seems like he'd be a lot more likely than Chell also.[/QUOTE]

You know what? I changed my mind. I do think Chell makes sense. Just in case some people here haven't played it and care about Portal 2's story...

Chell at the table, silent, interacting with the cards with potato GLaDOS providing the dialog.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']This. I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Both were a little rough to get into a first but once you get used to it they feel just so right to play. I was happy to play through and Platinum both titles. The combat is just so damn good, and the lore . . . just perfect.[/QUOTE]

never played demons souls, hopefully it's playable somehow on PS4

how would you say it stacks up to dark souls? i've heard it's harder

[quote name='vince_carter']never played demons souls, hopefully it's playable somehow on PS4

how would you say it stacks up to dark souls? i've heard it's harder[/QUOTE]

It's about the same difficulty, but death is less forgiving because it doesn't use the campfire mechanic. It's sorted into levels instead of a single connected world and if you die you have to restart the whole level again (you can unlock shortcuts on some levels though).

They're equally fun, but personally I preferred Demons Souls because the online aspect with invaders and world tendency worked better than the way online is handled in Dark Souls.

[quote name='louiedog']You know what? I changed my mind. I do think Chell makes sense. Just in case some people here haven't played it and care about Portal 2's story...

Chell at the table, silent, interacting with the cards with potato GLaDOS providing the dialog.
[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for your blessing for YEARS.

Now I can come out of the shadows and proclaim "I think Portal is a pretty good series of games."

God, it feels good to get that off my chest.

;)

[quote name='Eldredpe']I've been waiting for your blessing for YEARS.

Now I can come out of the shadows and proclaim "I think Portal is a pretty good series of games."

God, it feels good to get that off my chest.

;)[/QUOTE]

In that case I changed my mind back.

Today's deal is Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity at 66% off ($6.79)

Incredipede is now available at 33% off ($9.99) Until March 29th.

Incredipede is a puzzle game that celebrates the vast diversity of life in the world. The game follows Quozzle, a lone Incredipede on a quest to rescue her sisters. She has a unique ability to grow new arms and legs wherever she needs them, transforming into a snake, a spider, a horse, a monkey - anything you can imagine.
Genre: Adventure, Indie, Platformer, Simulation

[quote name='plft']Fez is coming to steam on May 1st for an undisclosed price.

Didn't the creator of this say something about how PCs aren't for games?[/QUOTE]
fuck yes!!!! I been waiting for this one. I am actually going to preorder it.

I will then proceed to kick myself 6 months later at the humble bundle it's in :lol:.

As much as I hate EA, they are offering some actually decent games for their Sim City fuck up campaign. Dead Space 3 being one of them, and since it's recent, gonna grab it for free :D.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']fuck yes!!!! I been waiting for this one. I am actually going to preorder it.

I will then proceed to kick myself 6 months later at the humble bundle it's in :lol:.

As much as I hate EA, they are offering some actually decent games for their Sim City fuck up campaign. Dead Space 3 being one of them, and since it's recent, gonna grab it for free :D.[/QUOTE]

A big part of the fun that I had with that game was that first weekend it was out on XBLA when a lot of people were coming together and trying to figure out its secrets. I don't know if that experience will happen again with the PC release, especially since all of the solutions are now out there. Regardless of what it costs or what it's worth, that may be the best way to play it because it won't happen 6 months later.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']fuck yes!!!! I been waiting for this one. I am actually going to preorder it.

As much as I hate EA, they are offering some actually decent games for their Sim City fuck up campaign. Dead Space 3 being one of them, and since it's recent, gonna grab it for free :D.[/QUOTE]

Dead Space 3 is a pretty awesome free game for their fuck up

More than I expected from them.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Dead Space 3 is a pretty awesome free game for their fuck up

More than I expected from them.[/QUOTE]

Apparently it didn't sell well. Maybe they're hoping to make some money off of microtransactions. I bet a Steam sale could give it a shot in the arm...

[quote name='louiedog']Apparently it didn't sell well. Maybe they're hoping to make some money off of microtransactions. I bet a Steam sale could give it a shot in the arm...[/QUOTE]
Maybe if it was an origin free version.

[quote name='louiedog']Apparently it didn't sell well. Maybe they're hoping to make some money off of microtransactions. I bet a Steam sale could give it a shot in the arm...[/QUOTE]

Even so, I assumed EA would roll out its normal shit show for free games of things from '08.

This list is really impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back