The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MysterD']I say Konami should bring the ENTIRE Castlevania franchise and ALL of the games to Steam.
Also, same goes for any of the MGS's that are not on the PC; and the rest of the Silent Hill games that didn't get PC ports.[/QUOTE]
Well that would be wonderful (I'm a huge Castlevania nerd), but obviously that isn't going to happen.

Honestly I think HoD would do extremely well on the PC. It's a four player co-op game on XBLA, where you build your character (out of 4 or 5 choices, Shanoa, Alucard, Charlotte, etc) and earn new skills, new equipment, etc. There were about 5 levels I think, each taking place in a massive mansion type level that had multiple ways to get to the boss room. Each character leveled up and learning new abilities differently, as well. The bosses were really tough too, and soloing them was really, really difficult until you had your character built up well. It took me awhile to be able to solo Dracula with Shanoa, and even longer to solo him with Charlotte.

They could sell it in a 4-pack on Steam and make bank, I think. I absolutely loved that game, 100%'d it and all. I would kill for it on Steam.

[quote name='Izod517']Toilet Paper Roll.

Over orientation (left) or under orientation (right).

150px-Toilet_paper_orientation_over.jpg
150px-Toilet_paper_orientation_under.jpg

Go.[/QUOTE]

I have a cat that really likes over, so by necessity, under.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Well that would be wonderful (I'm a huge Castlevania nerd), but obviously that isn't going to happen.

Honestly I think HoD would do extremely well on the PC. It's a four player co-op game on XBLA, where you build your character (out of 4 or 5 choices, Shanoa, Alucard, Charlotte, etc) and earn new skills, new equipment, etc. There were about 5 levels I think, each taking place in a massive mansion type level that had multiple ways to get to the boss room. Each character leveled up and learning new abilities differently, as well. The bosses were really tough too, and soloing them was really, really difficult until you had your character built up well. It took me awhile to be able to solo Dracula with Shanoa, and even longer to solo him with Charlotte.

They could sell it in a 4-pack on Steam and make bank, I think. I absolutely loved that game, 100%'d it and all. I would kill for it on Steam.[/QUOTE]

yea, that game was fun. but i hated playing with randoms who would just beeline for the purple chests which happened to me more often than not it seemed.

[quote name='vince_carter']yea, that game was fun. but i hated playing with randoms who would just beeline for the purple chests which happened to me more often than not it seemed.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, random pairings would suck. I mostly played with a group of friends. Had a friend named Jack who would always play as Jonathon and use his wrecking ball attack where he swings it around himself in a circle and goes "Showtime!" and Jack would always yell it over the mic when he used it, lmao.

Good times.

[quote name='Mooby']Retro graphics are fine so long as they look 'consistent' and show some amount of creativity and effort in design. Examples being Dredmor, Terraria, and Binding of Isaac to name a few. Fez is shit because of its design. Another generic platformer. I don't even know why anyone wastes time making those anymore since most are barely indistinguishable from the dozens of others. Notable exceptions only occurring when they do a really good job with art and music like Trine.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

I'm going to do that when you post from now on, no matter how valid the post. I think it will be funny.

[quote name='Eldredpe']:roll:

I'm going to do that when you post from now on, no matter how valid the post. I think it will be funny.
[/QUOTE]
:applause:

And I'm going to follow up your post with this every time.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Well that would be wonderful (I'm a huge Castlevania nerd), but obviously that isn't going to happen.[/quote]
Hey, I can wish and dream, can't I? ;)

[quote name='Preedatore']In Sleeping Dogs there is a side mission where you are instructed to pick up pop cans.[/QUOTE]
More evidence streams in...

[quote name='Eldredpe']I think his point was that they are "POP cans." Not soda cans.[/QUOTE]
Yep, and its a sin for a CAG to go against the teachings of games

[quote name='jshackles']:facepalm: are we still on that? :cool:[/QUOTE]
Till ignorance is cleansed from the Earth

Also, here is a contest. Entry requires CAG steam group allegiance, winning requires acceptance of pop into your heart

BGCQ Only Contest ->

EDIT: Throwing this out there too

Go.[/QUOTE]
Neither, I use these
fall_leaves.jpg

[/QUOTE]
:dunce:

[quote name='Idiotekque']:applause:

And I'm going to follow up your post with this every time.
[/QUOTE]
:dunce:

[/QUOTE]

:roll:

OMG First the Castlevania news and now PES 2013 has been brought to steam!! MUST.....RESIST.....PAYING FULL PRICE!!!

[quote name='Mooby']Hah, and I thought the amount of nickel and dime DLC was bad in the first one.[/QUOTE]

There are too many bad things with DD1, the irrational amount of stupid DLC is just one of them.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Well that would be wonderful (I'm a huge Castlevania nerd), but obviously that isn't going to happen.

They could sell it in a 4-pack on Steam and make bank, I think. I absolutely loved that game, 100%'d it and all. I would kill for it on Steam.[/QUOTE]

As much as I disagree with you on KoA, I agree with you on this, HoD would be pretty brilliant with Steam, hell why not throw the L4D crew all 2d-ified there too to make it particularly valve-y steamy. I got to the party a bit late with the XBLA version, none of my friends who have a 360 care much about Castlevania and I abhor on-line playing with random people so I never really got to play it as much as I would've liked. It became yet another in my list of games that would be great if I knew 3 other people who dug this with 4 Swords, and Crystal Chronicles. Put it on Steam and let it hit a sale and I could probably actually get some people into it and enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed, plus Steam would have better DLC sales.

That being said, Lords of Shadow... meh. I'd say it's the worst Castlevania to date (haven't played the 3DS one yet), but I can't honestly call it a Castlevania. Spanishvania as it were is not a horrible game, in fact it's an entirely competent, if unremarkable, hack and slash, though enemies having no hit stun took some getting used to. It was a very impressive game visually too all things considered. I don't have a problem with rebooting Castlevania either because I'll absolutely admit that the timeline as it were was cluttered as hell and shoehorning any other games into it without retconning, or being inconsistent was getting impossible.

I think where the game fails the hardest for me is in tone. You can have a Castlevania without the whip, without a Belmont, hell without Dracula even or with the castle itself barely making an appearance, but not without the right tone or music. Castlevania as fantastic as it was always had a certain wink and a nod to it being just a monster movie mash-up. There was always a degree of being either knowingly over the top or just having a sense of humor about the whole thing. LoS just took itself entirely too seriously and tried to apply the tired realistic grit that seems to be so popular now to Castlevania and it just doesn't really belong there.

Also critical in setting that tone was the music. Every Castlevania game has had an amazing soundtrack that is instantly recognizable as Castlevania music. LoS has a perfectly competent score, but it's utterly without character. It could be the soundtrack for any action game (or film really) and it would fit just as well. There is none of that amazing unique flavor that the rest of the series carried so strongly, even including the Gameboy iterations. For all the N64 installments got wrong, and there was a lot, they still were very clearly Castlevania in sound and tone where LoS fell completely flat for me in that regard.

Also a quick note lest this come off as I don't like Western takes on Japanese properties, I wanted to hate Metroid Prime with a passion, dead set to despise the game, and it's easily one of the top 5 games of the PS2/GC/XBOX gen. Also sorry for the rant, as you can clearly see I'm a big Castlevania nerd and getting a Steam relevant reason to talk about it couldn't be ignored or treated with any reasonable restraint.

TL;DR If Castlevania Lord of Shadow wasn't called Castlevania, I might like it more than I do...

[quote name='Mighty Tor']
As much as I disagree with you on KoA, I agree with you on this, HoD would be pretty brilliant with Steam, hell why not throw the L4D crew all 2d-ified there too to make it particularly valve-y steamy. I got to the party a bit late with the XBLA version, none of my friends who have a 360 care much about Castlevania and I abhor on-line playing with random people so I never really got to play it as much as I would've liked. It became yet another in my list of games that would be great if I knew 3 other people who dug this with 4 Swords, and Crystal Chronicles. Put it on Steam and let it hit a sale and I could probably actually get some people into it and enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed, plus Steam would have better DLC sales.

That being said, Lords of Shadow... meh. I'd say it's the worst Castlevania to date (haven't played the 3DS one yet), but I can't honestly call it a Castlevania. Spanishvania as it were is not a horrible game, in fact it's an entirely competent, if unremarkable, hack and slash, though enemies having no hit stun took some getting used to. It was a very impressive game visually too all things considered. I don't have a problem with rebooting Castlevania either because I'll absolutely admit that the timeline as it were was cluttered as hell and shoehorning any other games into it without retconning, or being inconsistent was getting impossible.

I think where the game fails the hardest for me is in tone. You can have a Castlevania without the whip, without a Belmont, hell without Dracula even or with the castle itself barely making an appearance, but not without the right tone or music. Castlevania as fantastic as it was always had a certain wink and a nod to it being just a monster movie mash-up. There was always a degree of being either knowingly over the top or just having a sense of humor about the whole thing. LoS just took itself entirely too seriously and tried to apply the tired realistic grit that seems to be so popular now to Castlevania and it just doesn't really belong there.

Also critical in setting that tone was the music. Every Castlevania game has had an amazing soundtrack that is instantly recognizable as Castlevania music. LoS has a perfectly competent score, but it's utterly without character. It could be the soundtrack for any action game (or film really) and it would fit just as well. There is none of that amazing unique flavor that the rest of the series carried so strongly, even including the Gameboy iterations. For all the N64 installments got wrong, and there was a lot, they still were very clearly Castlevania in sound and tone where LoS fell completely flat for me in that regard.

Also a quick note lest this come off as I don't like Western takes on Japanese properties, I wanted to hate Metroid Prime with a passion, dead set to despise the game, and it's easily one of the top 5 games of the PS2/GC/XBOX gen. Also sorry for the rant, as you can clearly see I'm a big Castlevania nerd and getting a Steam relevant reason to talk about it couldn't be ignored or treated with any reasonable restraint.

TL;DR If Castlevania Lord of Shadow wasn't called Castlevania, I might like it more than I do...
[/QUOTE]
So it sounds like it sucked the life (or death) out of the series. Looks like $5 is my price point then, and only if there's a demo available first.

I'd say LoS fit the tone better than the increasing anime-like infestation the series was developing. The real issue was that it was a fast paced action game that could barely muster 25 FPS.

[quote name='Corpekata']I'd say LoS fit the tone better than the increasing anime-like infestation the series was developing. The real issue was that it was a fast paced action game that could barely muster 25 FPS.[/QUOTE]
25 FPS? Okay, $2.50.

[quote name='Corpekata']I'd say LoS fit the tone better than the increasing anime-like infestation the series was developing. The real issue was that it was a fast paced action game that could barely muster 25 FPS.[/QUOTE]

true

symphony of the night was a turning point and while it was a great, great game they got stuck on that formula too long

lords of shadow type of cookie cutter 3d action game shit is definitely not the answer either

they should just let castlevania sit on the shelf for a few years and then try something different if you ask me

[quote name='vince_carter']true

symphony of the night was a turning point and while it was a great, great game they got stuck on that formula too long

lords of shadow type of cookie cutter 3d action game shit is definitely not the answer either

they should just let castlevania sit on the shelf for a few years and then try something different if you ask me[/QUOTE]
Which is why HoD was a step in the right direction. Not the same as SotN, AoS, etc, but still using the same formula for gameplay, which is pretty much flawless Metroidvania. It took the same gameplay as the classic games and did something new and fun with it.

But really, the DS games are great as well. Castlevania can't really go wrong doing what it does best. The 3D action games (and fighting games...) are the titles that are extremely hit and miss... mostly miss.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Which is why HoD was a step in the right direction. Not the same as SotN, AoS, etc, but still using the same formula for gameplay, which is pretty much flawless Metroidvania. It took the same gameplay as the classic games and did something new and fun with it.

But really, the DS games are great as well. Castlevania can't really go wrong doing what it does best. The 3D action games (and fighting games...) are the titles that are extremely hit and miss... mostly miss.[/QUOTE]

you ever played shadow complex? that's the route i wish modern castlevania took.

[quote name='vince_carter']you ever played shadow complex? that's the route i wish modern castlevania took.[/QUOTE]

I fuggin looooooooooooooooooved Shadow Complex

[quote name='vince_carter']you ever played shadow complex? that's the route i wish modern castlevania took.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I did. I dunno, it was great, but I don't think Castlevania would have worked like that.

[quote name='spoderman']Some guy received this in a fortune cookie and posted about it on GOG. Best or worst advice ever, from a fortune cookie?!
7924e2d223299a2790f07c1a61207bb31833c33d.jpg
[/QUOTE]

No more fortune cookies for me. Last thing I need is an inanimate object to make me realize that I don't need more games. With that kind of realization, I might have to refund my Steam account.

Go.[/QUOTE]

No official plans to solve this issue of intense debate, but I happened upon this very relevant item...

The round container makes it easy for the toilet paper roll to spin when dispensing sheets, and suitable for wall installation.

[quote name='spoderman']Some guy received this in a fortune cookie and posted about it on GOG. Best or worst advice ever, from a fortune cookie?!
7924e2d223299a2790f07c1a61207bb31833c33d.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I mean his advice is sound but at least in my case I wont ever buy anything just because it's on sale. There has to be some motivation for me to play it at some point before I buy it.

The new bundle in a box will go live today, very soon. Might be a good idea to keep an eye on the site to get the BTA tier for the lowest price.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I fuggin looooooooooooooooooved Shadow Complex[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Shadow Complex was my favorite Xbox 360 exclusive game of all time. ALL time.

[quote name='jshackles']Agreed. Shadow Complex was my favorite Xbox 360 exclusive game of all time. ALL time.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, why there aren't more games like Shadow Complex is beyond me.

[quote name='Izod517']No kidding, why there aren't more games like Shadow Complex is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Have you guys played Dust: An Elysian Tale on XBLA? Same genre, but IMO it's even better.

I have a Defiance beta key from Raptr that I know I won't have time to fool with before the game goes live in April so if anybody wants it, just PM. I'll send it to the first person to request it. gifted

Any thoughts on the Skyrim Prima guide on sale at GameStop Impulse?

[quote name='eastx']Have you guys played Dust: An Elysian Tale on XBLA? Same genre, but IMO it's even better.[/QUOTE]

I might have to check that out, looks pretty fun. :D

[quote name='warreni']I have a Defiance beta key from Raptr that I know I won't have time to fool with before the game goes live in April so if anybody wants it, just PM. I'll send it to the first person to request it.

Any thoughts on the Skyrim Prima guide on sale at GameStop Impulse?[/QUOTE]

Does it activate for the version on Steam? If not I'd stay FAR away from Gamestop / Impulse.

There was a thread somewhere but I could not locate it. So all three tiers of the STEAM Bioshock Infinite pre-order have been unlocked.

All Steam rewards unlocked! Pre-purchasing #BioShockInfinite earns a free copy of BioShock & X-Com + TF2 items:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8870/

So you get Bioshock, some TF2 stuff and X-com for free.

[quote name='The End']The BTA is $8.50? Yikes.[/QUOTE]

It started at $9.75. I expect it to drop like a rock, seeing as how half of the BTA games are repeats.

[quote name='The End']The BTA is $8.50? Yikes.[/QUOTE]

They've only sold like 10 lol so it'll probably drop pretty quickly.

EDIT: ninja'd!

[quote name='spoderman']It started at $9.75. I expect it to drop like a rock, seeing as how half of the BTA games are repeats.[/QUOTE]

So once again BTA means "Beat the price we set for it."

EDIT: Do any of these (aside from Cognition) actually look worthwhile? The text adventure thing looks okay but I'm not too sure about the rest of these.

I guess I'll wait a week for a sub-$5 price?

The BTA in BiaB will go down. Just be patient. Some of these are on Greenlight. I'm too lazy to link at the moment :p but there's that. I know all the BTA games are on Greenlight for sure.

I've had my eye on some of these. Vampires looks cute. I Get This Call... could be trainwreck fun, if a little too close to home (I used to work in a call center and still trying to forget the experience).

I've always wanted Dinner Date too but never wanted to actually pay for it by itself.

I'll grab this when the average goes way down.

A new bundle stars bundle just went live too..

Bundle Stars - The Indie MashUp Bundle

StarDrone + OST (DRM Free + Desura)
Jazz: Trumps Journey (DRM Free)
Crash Time 2 (Steam)
Still LIfe (Steam)
Still LIfe 2 (Steam)
Chrome (Steam)
Vigil: Blood Bitterness (Steam)
Tank Universal (Steam)

http://www.bundlestars.com

[quote name='spoderman']A new bundle stars bundle just went live too..

Crash Time 2 (Steam)
Still LIfe (Steam)
Still LIfe 2 (Steam)
Chrome (Steam)
Tank Universal (Steam)

http://www.bundlestars.com[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I already own the last three, but I'm interested in the Still Life games.

[quote name='spoderman']A new bundle stars bundle just went live too..

Crash Time 2 (Steam)
Still LIfe (Steam)
Still LIfe 2 (Steam)
Chrome (Steam)
Tank Universal (Steam)

http://www.bundlestars.com[/QUOTE]

With the introduction of this new bundle it looks like they also unlocked the last mystery game from bundle #4.

Society of the Serpent Moon (Desura)

The Ennui Bundle is launching later today. It's a bunch of games that you already own but can't summon the interest to play. It's also launching tomorrow, the next day, and the day after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back