The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DPsycho']I honestly had no idea that this could be done in other browsers. But then, what need do you have for closing a spoiler once opened? I usually refresh the page when I get to the end anyway which has the same effect.

Chrome is the best, though. Like enjoying a nice, cold pop.[/QUOTE]

Lowball auctions. When each spoiler contains a massive picture and you want to look at the rest of the items it becomes terrible. Also it isn't just Chrome because you can close spoiler tags on Gamespot.com and some other sites.

Quick question: I bought the KOA: Reckoning game + dlc bundle off steam a few weeks ago and just got around to playing it. There is a page asking me to sign into my EA account which I don't have. Do I need to create one to play the game or DLC?
Thanks in advance!

Hmm, I think someone might be trying to hack my account. I got an email from Steam (actual Steam support, not a fake one) that there was "query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address." Anyone know what this means? I haven't done any sort of query or anything.

It generally means you redeemed a public CD key and someone else tried to too and they hit the "Retrieve account" button. It's usually nothing to worry about.

Weekend Deal

Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack $12.49 75% off includes below
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto 2
Grand Theft Auto 3 $2.49 75% off
Grand Theft Auto 4 $4.99 75% off
Grand Theft Auto 4 Episodes from Liberty City $4.99 75% off
Grand Theft Auto Vice City $2.49 75% off
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas $3.74 75% off

Hitman Collection $15 75% off includes below
Hitman Codename 47 $2.49 75% off
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin $2.49 75% off
Hitman Blood Money $2.49 75% off
Hitman Absolution $9.99 75% off

Hitman Absolution DLC $0.24 each 75% off (not included in pack)

[quote name='asheskitty']Hitman: Absolution @ $10 75% off (dls 75% off too). [/QUOTE]

Tempted by this - any must-have DLCs?

See what happens when we spend two pages discussing GTA?!

Cross posting from my GMG thread post...

GMG is having a good sale on some Codemasters games, from the few I tried, GMG25-S0FSG-R7Z9B doesn't seem to apply an extra 20% though.

Edit: GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD seems to work for an extra 20% off. Thanks Fox. I was using the wrong code. Remember, the code only applies to one item per checkout, so do multiple transactions if you're buying multiple things. (And hope your bank doesn't fraud-flag you after a few transactions.)

Full list of Codemasters sale.

Dirt 2 @ $3.74 (75% off, Steam) If you have any interest in racers (arcade or sim) you'll likely love this. This the lowest it's been.

GRID @ $5.09 (66% off, Steam) I also highly recommend this title as well. Both Dirt 2 and GRID have wonderful physics and a 7 (or 9) difficulty levels making it easy to find the right amount of challenge for you. This is the cheapest price ever, though since GRID 2 is coming out in a few months, we might see a 75% off this year. I highly recommend it, even at a whole $5.09. ^_~

Dirt 3 @ $8.49 (66% off, steam) is another good racer. It was recently this price on GG.

Dirt: Showdown @ $10.19 (66% off, steam) is the lowest price yet on Showdown. They veered away from the deeper racing roots with this one and enraged fans of the Dirt series. I don't own it yet, so I can't comment further.
Edit: Rechecking reviews, wow. I'm actually passing on this at $8. Reviews paint it as a bad knockoff of Flatout, with stupidly simple physics. It shouldn't have carried the "Dirt" name.

The F1 series is sim racing, try the F1 2012 demo on steam to see if you have any interest. They were recently on sale at these prices or better on GG. In short, F1 2011 is refinement on F1 2010, and F1 2012 is more an an annual sports franchise update. I only own F1 2012.

F1 Race Stars is a cart racer that reportedly lacks the certain magic needed for cart racers. Imo, so reason to consider this since Sonic All-Stars Transformed is a much better title and has been availble for about this price.

I also love Overlord/Raising Hell (and Overlord II seems to be more of the same), but the complete pack was $5 on the Steam Winter Sale.

[quote name='asheskitty']Cross posting from my GMG thread post...

GMG is having a good sale on some Codemasters games, from the few I tried, GMG25-S0FSG-R7Z9B doesn't seem to apply an extra 20% though.

[/QUOTE]

That code is only for select pre orders (25% off).

This code: GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

Should work on the codemasters games (worked on Dirt 3 when I tested it)

Absolution DLC is worse than useless. It really seems like the publishers insisted on it more than they actually pulled some good content for DLC.

It's useless in the story mode. The Contracts mode lets you make your own kill targets in the games story levels. For instance, you might be forced to kill three guards in different parts of the map in esoteric ways. You "play" the challenge to make it so it also doubles as an ersatz free play mode for these levels.

The DLC is just additional weapons and suits for that mode. You can't play a mission created by someone else that requires a DLC suit or weapon that you lack.

This is so much more useless than even the worst cosmetic SD DLC.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Wow, didn't Hitman Absolution just come out like 5 months ago? And it's already down to $10.[/QUOTE]

GMG had the professional edition for $10 back on March 1st. It was also hitting the $17 mark a few time in Jan.

[quote name='warreni']Tempted by this - any must-have DLCs?

See what happens when we spend two pages discussing GTA?![/QUOTE]

IIRC, the DLC is multiplayer stuff, but at this price, I'm tempted to flesh out my dlc for it (just own the Professional Ed from the GMG sale). (It's been in my AAA backlog for 4 weeks.)

=D I think the complete GTA pack is a good deal. I bought it in the summer sale for $12.49 despite owning the all of it from a smattering of retail and non-steam DDL. GTA III, VC, & SA also net you the better mac port (port in the mac app store is worse), which interested me. I think I'd seen some texture mods for VC & SA a few months back.

I think Absolution is worth the ten bucks, but I have Hitman Blood Money and have never played it past the first mission. So my first real experience with Hitman has been with Absolution.

I thought the game was fun but I found myself racing through missions instead of carefully assessing everything before proceeding, which is my preferred way of playing stealth. This is because of the checkpoint system, I'd much prefer a save-at-any-time method. I was going quickly through levels because I didn't want to get to a point where I'd fail and would have to restart some twenty minutes earlier. There's certainly enough "collectibles" and different ways of approaching each target, and I suppose that encourages replayability, but I never cared to go back and try other methods after I finished the game. It'd take too much time to go past certain situations only to fail and have to restart at a particular checkpoint. I know that this is in line with the Hitman series tradition, but I guess it was too challenginf for dumb ol' me.

The checkpoint system is also bugged: enemies that you have taken down before a checkpoint will reappear if you need to go back. The disguise system is also quite annoying, as many have mentioned before.

I just realized I have more complaints about the game than compliments, and yet here I am recommending it. There's enough variety in the missions and tense moments to enjoy it. The crowd scenes are the best ones, I think.

Sounds like I want to steer clear of the DLC for H:A. I'll decide between now and Sunday whether I'll pick up the game+guide pack (not that interested in the Professional extras).

Since Asheskitty didn't mention it in her post, I'll add that Rise of the Argonauts is a terrific ARPG (best handled with a controller, but still a fun riff on classical mythology).

[quote name='facls']I think Absolution is worth the ten bucks, but I have Hitman Blood Money and have never played it past the first mission. So my first real experience with Hitman has been with Absolution.

I thought the game was fun but I found myself racing through missions instead of carefully assessing everything before proceeding, which is my preferred way of playing stealth. This is because of the checkpoint system, I'd much prefer a save-at-any-time method. I was going quickly through levels because I didn't want to get to a point where I'd fail and would have to restart some twenty minutes earlier. There's certainly enough "collectibles" and different ways of approaching each target, and I suppose that encourages replayability, but I never cared to go back and try other methods after I finished the game. It'd take too much time to go past certain situations only to fail and have to restart at a particular checkpoint. I know that this is in line with the Hitman series tradition, but I guess it was too challenginf for dumb ol' me.

The checkpoint system is also bugged: enemies that you have taken down before a checkpoint will reappear if you need to go back. The disguise system is also quite annoying, as many have mentioned before.

I just realized I have more complaints about the game than compliments, and yet here I am recommending it. There's enough variety in the missions and tense moments to enjoy it. The crowd scenes are the best ones, I think.[/QUOTE]

I thought both the save system and disguises were way better in Blood Money. They were part of my huge disappointment with that game. I've complained enough about the game so that I won't do so again here, but I encourage you to go back and try Blood Money some more. The first time I tried to play it I wasn't feeling it after the introductory level. Slowly it grew on me until everything clicked into place and I played the hell out of it for a couple of weeks.

For what it's worth, Blood Money is on my short list of best games ever made.

Absolution is quite good and definitely worth this price. Those shocked? EVERY SE PC release has done this sort of precipitous price drop.

[quote name='asheskitty']

Dirt 2 @ $3.74 (75% off, Steam) If you have any interest in racers (arcade or sim) you'll likely love this. This the lowest it's been.

GRID @ $5.09 (66% off, Steam) I also highly recommend this title as well. Both Dirt 2 and GRID have wonderful physics and a 7 (or 9) difficulty levels making it easy to find the right amount of challenge for you. This is the cheapest price ever, though since GRID 2 is coming out in a few months, we might see a 75% off this year. I highly recommend it, even at a whole $5.09. ^_~[/QUOTE]

Grid was $3.75 on Steam (2011-10-27) ;)

Dirt 2 is one of the best racers out there. Dirt 1 is great, but Dirt 2 is more "fun".

It just occurred to me that Hitman needs good modding tools so that someone can make a Groundhog Day level where you play as Bill Murray and learn Punxsutawney until you can execute that perfect day.

I'm looking at Rise of the Argonauts, after warreni's glowing words about it. However I'm looking for a little bit more, as in why is it terrific and what makes it stand out. In addition this looks like the lowest price on price trackers ($4 with coupon).

Gamersgate is having a Borderlands weekend.

The 4-pack of Borderlands 2 is 61.15, meaning if somebody has the 20% glitch discount the game comes to 12.23 a person.

I believe that's the lowest non-price mistake price BL2 has been.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Gamersgate is having a Borderlands weekend.

The 4-pack of Borderlands 2 is 61.15, meaning if somebody has the 20% glitch discount the game comes to 12.23 a person.

I believe that's the lowest non-price mistake price BL2 has been.[/QUOTE]

Buy through the UK site and it's $10.79 per person.

[quote name='warreni']Since Asheskitty didn't mention it in her post, I'll add that Rise of the Argonauts is a terrific ARPG (best handled with a controller, but still a fun riff on classical mythology).[/QUOTE]

Right, I remember there being a little bit of excitement over it when it went on sale on GG recently. I couldn't figure exactly why. My post wasn't so much a sale list (though I linked to the whole set), but more about my perspectives on the racers =D

[quote name='juanjava']Grid was $3.75 on Steam (2011-10-27) ;)

Dirt 2 is one of the best racers out there. Dirt 1 is great, but Dirt 2 is more "fun".[/QUOTE]

Well over a year ago, and like $0.30 more now. It's a great racer, I wouldn't let that stop you. It doesn't go on sale enough to confidently say, "grab it @ 75% off on the next steam sale." My post is aimed at games I think CAGs will really like.

FYI, Dirt 1 was pulled from Steam in Fall. Dirt 1 has more rally races, which I personally enjoy.

Aww sorry anarchyoblivion.

One thing I forgot to mention for Dirt & GRID is that they have an awesome flashback system than lets you "rewind" up to like 10 seconds to let you "undo" a screwup. IIRC, it's 5 flashbacks on the default difficulty (3, 1, and none on higher difficulties). It's a very player friendly option, that makes screwing up less frustrating.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Gamersgate is having a Borderlands weekend.

I believe that's the lowest non-price mistake price BL2 has been.[/QUOTE]

Any one up for a 4-pack? I regret passing on the GMG deal :cry:

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Looks like they prematurely ended the 50% off on the Lego Games; I was going to pick them up today.[/QUOTE]

Gamersgate still shows them at 50% off, but not all of them are Steamworks.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Looks like they prematurely ended the 50% off on the Lego Games; I was going to pick them up today.[/QUOTE]

GMG still has the deal plus 20% off coupon.

[quote name='plft']I'm looking at Rise of the Argonauts, after warreni's glowing words about it. However I'm looking for a little bit more, as in why is it terrific and what makes it stand out. In addition this looks like the lowest price on price trackers ($4 with coupon).[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it's been a good 3-4 years since I played. I just remember the combat being fluid, you having the ability to develop your Jason to specialize in a few different weapon types and to have spell-like abilities based on the god's favor that you choose to curry, and there being a strong story loosely based on the story of Jason and the Argonauts.

[quote name='asheskitty']Right, I remember there being a little bit of excitement over it when it went on sale on GG recently. I couldn't figure exactly why. My post wasn't so much a sale list (though I linked to the whole set), but more about my perspectives on the racers =D.[/QUOTE]

No slight intended--just wanted to put my 2p out there.

I'm probably going to check out the demos this weekend, but are you basically saying that if you're pretty crappy at racers Dirt 2 and GRID are very forgiving? :cool:

[quote name='warreni']Sorry, it's been a good 3-4 years since I played. I just remember the combat being fluid, you having the ability to develop your Jason to specialize in a few different weapon types and to have spell-like abilities based on the god's favor that you choose to curry, and there being a strong story loosely based on the story of Jason and the Argonauts.

No slight intended--just wanted to put my 2p out there.

I'm probably going to check out the demos this weekend, but are you basically saying that if you're pretty crappy at racers Dirt 2 and GRID are very forgiving? :cool:[/QUOTE]

^_^

I believe they are the most accessible racers that don't have the bouncing-off-the-walls-at-every-turn physics. The configurability in the assists and difficulty is pure awesome. The flashback mechanic lets you screw up multiple times but still rewind/undo and keep your position. Lower difficulties give more rewinds and less competent opponents. I strongly feel that the rewind makes it far less frustrating and more forgiving without dumbing things down too far. This goes for both Dirt 2 & GRID.

To crib someones forum post in a discussion on difficulty levels:
Some games take it a little too far, and do it wrong, like DiRT 2 for example. There were 6 difficulty levels (easy, casual, hard, serious, savage, extreme) for the career mode with the only difference in reward between them being the amount of credits you won for a particular event.

The fact you could almost complete the career mode with the default cars you were given, on most of the difficulty levels, meant the amount of credits you were awarded for winning events was practically meaningless. By the time I finished the career mode I probably had enough credits to purchase the entire showroom of cars, plus all the upgrades, 10 times over.

In addition, the lowest 3 difficulty levels were so ridiculously easy that I kinda felt cheated completing the game on serious. There was no seperation on the leaderboards for those that played on higher difficulty, leading people in the forums at codemasters to proudly display their "700 race, 698 wins, 2 losses" ratio in their sigs, no realizing how totally inane it was, since you could literally drive the cars in reverse and win on the easy setting.

[quote name='asheskitty']Thanks! After looking into Rise of the Argonauts, I decided to bite this time for $4.[/QUOTE]

EASILY worth it.

It's good - though nothing great/spectacular, I thought.
Story-telling & voice-acting is good, but the action is awesome - especially with a controller.
Though, more probably could've been done w/ how it handles level-ups; dialogue-choices making an impact; and whatnot.

EDIT:
[quote name='asheskitty']Aww sorry anarchyoblivion.

One thing I forgot to mention for Dirt & GRID is that they have an awesome flashback system than lets you "rewind" up to like 10 seconds to let you "undo" a screwup. IIRC, it's 5 flashbacks on the default difficulty (3, 1, and none on higher difficulties). It's a very player friendly option, that makes screwing up less frustrating.[/QUOTE]
I absolutely LOVE the rewind feature in DIRT 2.

[quote name='asheskitty']Steam Daily: Titan Quest Gold @ $5 75% off also TQ: IT is $3.75 in case you have TQ from HIB. This version seems to only have Steam DRM.[/quote]
TQ: Gold can't be recommended enough - especially at those prices.
Diablo 1 & 2 fans - GET THIS. Awesome Diablo-like ARPG game.

Absolution at $10 = STEAL.
The game might be different in many ways than previous Hitman games - but it's still REALLY good.

The (partial) Hitman Collection for $15 (no Hitman: Contracts in there, though) = MAJOR STEAL.

All the GTA titles are 75% off as well including the whole pack for $12.50
How can you go wrong w/ those deals, either?
GTA series is awesome.
I still love GTA: VC best of the club.
I'd love to see a Vice City 2 one day.

So looking though the list of current specials I am seeing quite a few "cheap" indie games that are on my wishlist. Is there anything there that would be considered a don't-miss-at-this-price kind of game that you wouldn't expect to find in a bundle any time soon? Outside of the Titan Quest Gold and the GTA stuff?

[quote name='Palinn']So looking though the list of current specials I am seeing quite a few "cheap" indie games that are on my wishlist. Is there anything there that would be considered a don't-miss-at-this-price kind of game that you wouldn't expect to find in a bundle any time soon? Outside of the Titan Quest Gold and the GTA stuff?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much all of the spring indie sale has been cheaper in the past or will definitely be cheaper in the summer.

Not a lot of great deals to be had there.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Pretty much all of the spring indie sale has been cheaper in the past or will definitely be cheaper in the summer.[/QUOTE]

Or will be in a bundle.

[quote name='Idiotekque']RE: Jason and the Argonauts

MysterD went on about it much more in the GG thread awhile ago.[/QUOTE]

MysterD has never met a game he didn't feel like reviewing.

Isn't there some sort of annoyance with some of the GTAs and DRM? I recall seeing that somewhere at some point. I'd use SteamPlus but I am on mobile.

[quote name='Izod517']Isn't there some sort of annoyance with some of the GTAs and DRM? I recall seeing that somewhere at some point. I'd use SteamPlus but I am on mobile.[/QUOTE]

I believe IV uses GFWL. Possibly there is also some Rockstar Social Club nonsense in there as well, but that might have started with releases after IV.

EDIT: According to Enhanced Steam GTA IV and San Andreas also have SecuRom on top of that.

That's a hell of a lot of DRM on one game for IV.

[quote name='Izod517']Isn't there some sort of annoyance with some of the GTAs and DRM? I recall seeing that somewhere at some point. I'd use SteamPlus but I am on mobile.[/QUOTE]

GFWL (the old with-activation-limits kind) + Rockstar social club + SecuROM (unlimited for GT4, 15 activations for EFLC) according to the Big List.

GTA4 PC & EFLC PC always requires G4WL, Rockstar Social Club, & Securom Internet DRM.
Get a Steam-version of those (from Steam directly or anyone else selling a Steam-DRM version) - then also toss Steam on top of that.

Steam-Versions of GTA4 PC & EFLC PC can be run w/out Steam running (in the background), once you download the game from Steam.
You can check that out by doing the "run the game's EXE file w/ Steam closed" and if it doesn't boot Steam, you're in luck; so you might then want to make a shortcut of that EXE from the game-folder, if you want.
[SIDE NOTE - Steam-versions of RFG, Fallout 3, and Borderlands 1 can be booted that way, as well.]
That's useful info, just in case you have problems w/ Steam-client program, for some blasted reason.

Copy/pasting my Rise of the Argonauts rating blurb from Goozex:

"Looks modern-console shiny, but some of the character models are stiff.

Music is appropriate and sound effects are okay. The voice acting is great, but at times hampered by the writing.

Action-RPG but really light on the RP. Skimpy skill trees. The combat has a satisfying crunch, but it's mostly button-mashing. Level design feels cramped and linear.

Overall, the story is well-pieced together, but some of the dialogue is laughable or ham-handed. NPCs feel like scenery."

If I had to do it over again, I'd've left it in the backlog longer.

[quote name='Eldredpe']MysterD has never met a game he didn't feel like reviewing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's probably true, for the most part... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back